User Tag List

Thread: Most overrated Wrestlemania

Foot on a spiiiiiiiiike
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most overrated Wrestlemania

Companion thread to the Nash Diesel one.

I will start off.

WM20. Train wreck Lesnar v Goldberg and Taker v Kane again.

Angle v Guerrero was a bit disappointing too. Only the main event and Rock and Foley delivered.

Also WM25. Obviously Taker v HBK is amazing but everything else was meh.

WM3 is overrated too.

OK go.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    20 was bloated but good. If that's a 4 hour show without the 4-way tags and the Playboy tag, as well as cutting the fat in the CW match to just Rey/Chavo, it's a good effort with something memorable in every bout. The Cena 'Mania debut and real kickstart of his monster push, the Trish turn, the Goldberg/Lesnar fiasco, Eddie's boot, Molly's hair, Rock's promo, Paul Bearer's return, and obviously the main event. It's too long and some matches weren't good, but it's memorable.

Agreed with 25. It's not exactly bad per se, but Edge/Cena and HHH/Orton were exhausted pairings at that point, and the Hardy's were never natural rivals. That fucking Kid Rock segment as well.

3 is of it's time. Savage vs. Steamboat and Hogan vs. Andre stand the test of time, and Piper/Adonis, JYD/Race and Jake/Honky have pretty great moments too. Bell to bell it's not good, but everybody's massively over and it works. It's not got replay value like the best have, but it's hugely important.

I pretty much agree with the consensus rankings for bad 'Mania's. 2, 4, 9, 11, 15, 27 and 32 as the low ball efforts, with 1, 13 and 29 rounding out the bottom 10.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Cena/Edge/Show at 25 was actually a fun match. Cena lifting Show and Edge at the same time was insanity.

Intercontinental Champion
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh I would think 2 stands the test of time as the WOAT

aside from the typically bad matches of that period, you get the awful Piper-Mr T boxing match, the truncated cards in three spots as well as Susan St James doing some of the worst commentary ever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think WrestleMania X-7 gets more praise than it was worth. I mean, it was a great PPV, but could've been booked better. I don't think it's perfect b/c I didn't care for the APA match or Chyna/Ivory match. Not that they were bad just they seem out of place on such a card.

But the gimmick battle royal needs to make a return. That was amazing.

Intercontinental Champion
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NWo4LifeOr2Years View Post
    Oh I would think 2 stands the test of time as the WOAT

aside from the typically bad matches of that period, you get the awful Piper-Mr T boxing match, the truncated cards in three spots as well as Susan St James doing some of the worst commentary ever.

Oops wrong thread.

Or is it. I'm confused.

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Overrated in terms of the entire card? Fuck that's a tough one for me because even if 80% of the card sucks, that 20% is enough to make up for it.

It's also hard because the few Mania's that get serious praise are in fact really fucking good lol. The ones being mentioned as "overrated" in this thread I've never heard anyone say "WrestleMania 3 was the shit!" They just say a few matches were the shit.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Kasady View Post
    I think WrestleMania X-7 gets more praise than it was worth. I mean, it was a great PPV, but could've been booked better. I don't think it's perfect b/c I didn't care for the APA match or Chyna/Ivory match. Not that they were bad just they seem out of place on such a card.

This a hate post. Please report this. For me, it's WM 19, 80 percent of the wrong guys went over. Hogan/Vince is a mess. Kurt and Brock is a demonstration on how stupid everyone in the company is. Kurt for saying he can go, Vince allowing him to wrestle and Brock thinking he needed to do the five star.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    Overrated in terms of the entire card? Fuck that's a tough one for me because even if 80% of the card sucks, that 20% is enough to make up for it.

It's also hard because the few Mania's that get serious praise are in fact really fucking good lol. The ones being mentioned as "overrated" in this thread I've never heard anyone say "WrestleMania 3 was the shit!" They just say a few matches were the shit.
    You know the few matches that get mentioned are some of the best remembered and built the mythos of the company.

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WrestleMania 9..

tatanka/ hbk and stieners/headshrinkers was decent but everything else was forgettable
    and not to mention Hogan stealing the wwe title away fight after yoko/bret main event...

World Champion
    Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lotjx View Post
    This a hate post. Please report this. For me, it's WM 19, 80 percent of the wrong guys went over. Hogan/Vince is a mess. Kurt and Brock is a demonstration on how stupid everyone in the company is. Kurt for saying he can go, Vince allowing him to wrestle and Brock thinking he needed to do the five star.
    Brock has stated that he didn't want to do the 5 star but someone in the back told him he should do it

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Kasady View Post

See, comments like this make it hard for me to truly understand an overrated Mania. It was GREAT, but not perfect. So would that make it overrated?

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ckauffman28 View Post
    WrestleMania 9..

tatanka/ hbk and stieners/headshrinkers was decent but everything else was forgettable
    and not to mention Hogan stealing the wwe title away fight after yoko/bret main event...
    You'd be hard pressed to find any fans calling this a great show so I definitely don't see it as an overrated Mania because nobody rates it outside the bottom 3. Definitely one of the WORST WrestleMania's if not the worst. I guess it depends on how you judge Mania 2 lol. For me it's always going to be Mania 2 and Mania 9 as the worst of the bunch.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    You'd be hard pressed to find any fans calling this a great show so I definitely don't see it as an overrated Mania because nobody rates it outside the bottom 3. Definitely one of the WORST WrestleMania's if not the worst. I guess it depends on how you judge Mania 2 lol. For me it's always going to be Mania 2 and Mania 9 as the worst of the bunch.
    2 is the worst for me, A poor idea executed badly with some boring wrestling. I guess it earns a point or two for being kind of unique but not enough to mask how poor a show it was.

9 kind of falls into the same category with its uniqueness/crapness ratio but its the only Mania to feature heel Doink so I will always love it for that.

11 is god awful too. I never really got the main event. I get throwing LT in a match (not he main event) but why pair him with a midcarder? 12 is also pretty bad but I guess that depends on if you think the iron match was a work of art or an hour of boredom (i fall in the latter group).

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WrestleMania VI all day. The only match worth a damn is the main event. The rest of the card is boring, uninspired, and resolves nothing. If it weren't for Hogan/Warrior, I don't think anyone would rate this Mania.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho666Soldier View Post
    WrestleMania VI all day. The only match worth a damn is the main event. The rest of the card is boring, uninspired, and resolves nothing. If it weren't for Hogan/Warrior, I don't think anyone would rate this Mania.
    Piper. Piper makes that whole show amazing.

Mia Yim? Mia Yum... Spudz Mackenzie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wrestlemania 9 would have been better remembered and loved if Bret Hart had retained his title cleanly or Yokozuna had beaten him and just had a chance to keep it.

The "Hogan must pose, brother!" shit at the end really makes it feel like a terrible show.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Atty View Post
    Piper. Piper makes that whole show amazing.
    Another disappointing, unresolved match. Provocative face paint or not.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't say 6 is overrated. That's the thing with me. Almost all Mania's are built around basically 1 or 2 matches in terms of what matters the most. And back in that day, they didn't book ppv the same as they would wind up doing years later. In 1990 it was still a very house show oriented business so that's why you didn't get a ton of storyline on ppv outside of a handful of matches.

So if someone calls Mania 6 the best of all time based solely on Warrior v. Hogan, that's a stretch for me because even though I loved most of the undercard-especially with how short some of the matches were-I definitely can't say based on the entire card it was a top 10 Mania. It's a great card in the sense that looking back you go Holy shit everyone who fucking mattered in the WWF, everyone memorable from this era minus a few people like Mr Wonderful who was gone to WCW by this time, were on this card.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    Watched the first third of 'Mania XX last night. Was always a big fan of this one, but obviously bitter sweet now.

Loved the Boys Choir Of Harlem opening the show.

Cena cut a fairly decent promo and the NYC crowd loved him. Weird, when you think about it. I mean, out he comes in his Knicks top. I know it was his gimmick, but this is MSG, a tough crowd. Anyway, match was decent and Show actually was ok here, despite being in fairly lousy shape. That standing leg drop thing he used to do to his standing opponent was pretty impressive. The commentators were really putting over Show's recent dominance and he was protected massively with the finish. He was the first, I believe, to kick out of the FU and it took a shot with brass knuckles into a second FU to score the pin. You'd think they'd be headed for a rematch at Judgment Day, but I'm pretty sure they didn't go that route.

4 way tag match was nothing. RVD and Booker retained against The Dudleys, La Resistance and Jindrak and Cade. Nothing match at all, really.

Jericho and Christian was fun. It's funny, Jericho for some is the GOAT, but too often, particularly in his first WWE run, some of his stuff was sloppy as shit and you'd often see confusion and breakdowns in communication in his matches. Here was no different. And Cena's punches were always slated, but I'd take them over Jericho's shitty looking forearms any day. Right, back to it, the story going in was fun, but totally dated now with the physical abuse of Trish. Hearing Lawler condoning it on commentary was weird to hear now. The match was short, but decent. Another 5 minutes and it could have been great. And they managed to turn Trish without making it so that you could see it coming a mile off. Nicely played.

Oh God, the Playboy match. I forgot this existed. Embarrassing all round, really. Taz called it his 'favourite match of the night thus far'. Oh dear.

Mick Foley always said his match here with Rock against Evolution was disappointing, but I always thought this match was super fun and I haven't changed my mind after watching it again. What I did notice though was that Rock gave Orton nothing. Nothing at all, I don't think. And even the finish was odd. The right team went over, obviously, and it set up Orton and Foley at Backlash the following month, which was one of the best matches ever and a match vital in the rise of Orton. But at 'Mania, he hits the RKO and gets the 1-2-3, but Foley just then sits up and doesn't sell the effects of the move AT ALL. Just sits up, looks disappointed. Odd. But I forgive him because of how he put Orton over the following month in such dominating and brutal fashion.

Call of the night, so far, was Cole's reaction to a Big Show head-butt; 'Like being hit with an old typewriter'.

Still have the Cruiserweight Open, 'taker/Kane, Brock/Goldberg, Eddie/Kurt and the triple threat to go.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Andre turning face was a big moment. Like most of the early manias it was a one match show though.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMH View Post
    Andre turning face was a big moment. Like most of the early manias it was a one match show though.
    It really was. I love that match. I thought Andre and Haku were a great team. Really the first giant/smaller guy team that I can remember in the WWF that would set the tone for teams like X-Pac and Kane. But shit Haku wasn't a small man lol. Anyway, that face turn by Andre was great and that was the last time we got to see Andre on ppv actually wrestle. Demolition goes over big and Andre leaves to massive cheers.

As hated as Andre was for a good 2-3 years, people wanted him to turn on Heenan.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thinks Haystacks and Garea were the 1st David and Goliath team I remember. Weird how demolition randomly turned heel after this too

Legend
    RFF Championship Winner x 2. All time record RFF goalscorer. #111
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WM XXX was shit apart from Bryan. A one story show really. Doesn't deserve the hype, in spite of how good Bryan was. Without that I think the whole thing would have been a fucking shitshow, with the Taker Lesnar debacle, Cena Wyatt being classic Cena bollocks etc. I cannot forget how limp the crowd was even when Bryan was coming out for the last match. Tired, confused, and disappointed.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    Opening segment was awesome, but I do agree about XXX, actually. I was so disappointed by Cena going over Wyatt at the time. Well, it was more of a sigh.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It had dragged to a halt, but the first half is class. The opener with Rock, Austin and Hogan, Bryan/HHH, The Shield squash and the battle royal with Cesaro going over huge. Then the Legacy video package and Bray entrance. Cena/Wyatt was OK but a complete cop out, Undertaker/Lesnar sucked but had an iconic ending, and the women's match sucked.

In retrospect - Wyatt wins, Brock goes through Undertaker a la Cena at Summerslam, Paige answers an open challenge and wins it at 'Mania. Much better. But it's still a legendary event because of the bookends. 2 most important matches of any show and both were awesome. Daniel Bryan is king sized.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Romford Pele View Post
    Companion thread to the Nash Diesel one.

I will start off.

WM20. Train wreck Lesnar v Goldberg and Taker v Kane again.

Angle v Guerrero was a bit disappointing too. Only the main event and Rock and Foley delivered.

Also WM25. Obviously Taker v HBK is amazing but everything else was meh.

WM3 is overrated too.

OK go.
    I don't know anyone who thinks WM 25 was good so it's hard to say overrated. It was a one match show.