User Tag List

Thread: Who Should Have Been IC Champion?

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Who Should Have Been IC Champion?

We spend a lot of time talking about wrestlers who never won the big one. What about wrestlers who never held the IC championship?

A couple names that spring to mind are Big Bossman and Rick Martel. I was rooting for Bossman at Mania 7 to win the belt from Perfect. Rick Martel would have made a great IC champion but maybe they felt he was a little too similar to Rick Rude. Obviously this was a time where the titles didn't change hands often but I think both of these guys would have been great.

More recent names....I don't know if he SHOULD have been IC champion but Brock Lesnar is a guy I think would have been stellar as IC Champ but his push was so MEGA that he it'd be like Hulk Hogan winning the IC title after dropping it to Andre.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ukraine
    Looking at the list https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ntal_Champions looks like Undertaker never won the title. Like Brock, he was pushed to the top of the card straight off the bat. Foley never won it either?
    AJ styles would be another, more recent one.

Funny that Trips was the first out of him, Rock and Austin to win the IC but last to win the World.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always liked the hierarchy of a guy winning the IC title on his ascent up the card. There's exceptions for absolute megastars, the Undertaker's, Hogan's and Lesnar's, but everybody else should have a decent run with the IC or US title before they win the big one. It should never be a something to do title, the expectation of a long term IC champion would be for them to be capable of holding the World title within 18 months. It's why the title doesn't mean much of anything at the minute. Bryan should win it at 'Mania and do a Cena-US title with it.

With that knowledge, I can't think of anybody that didn't win it, or the US title in the brand split eras, that didn't. Guys like Rollins and Reigns had backward runs but they've held it. Guys that didn't hold the World title who could have, Perfect, Owen, Piper, Bulldog, all had IC title reigns instead. Anybody who wasn't a worthy world champion shouldn't have been IC champion either, besides transitionary reigns. Martel could have won that Battle Royal to drop it to Razor, but what would be the point?

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Accy View Post
    Looking at the list https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ntal_Champions looks like Undertaker never won the title. Like Brock, he was pushed to the top of the card straight off the bat. Foley never won it either?
    AJ styles would be another, more recent one.

Funny that Trips was the first out of him, Rock and Austin to win the IC but last to win the World.
    I think there's still time for AJ Styles to win. Foley is another person who kind of showed up right on top feuding with Undertaker after Taker beat Diesel at Mania. But I could have seen him winning it during that time he wasn't doing much in late 1997.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Batter View Post
    I always liked the hierarchy of a guy winning the IC title on his ascent up the card. There's exceptions for absolute megastars, the Undertaker's, Hogan's and Lesnar's, but everybody else should have a decent run with the IC or US title before they win the big one. It should never be a something to do title, the expectation of a long term IC champion would be for them to be capable of holding the World title within 18 months. It's why the title doesn't mean much of anything at the minute. Bryan should win it at 'Mania and do a Cena-US title with it.

With that knowledge, I can't think of anybody that didn't win it, or the US title in the brand split eras, that didn't. Guys like Rollins and Reigns had backward runs but they've held it. Guys that didn't hold the World title who could have, Perfect, Owen, Piper, Bulldog, all had IC title reigns instead. Anybody who wasn't a worthy world champion shouldn't have been IC champion either, besides transitionary reigns. Martel could have won that Battle Royal to drop it to Razor, but what would be the point?
    And when you look back from the introduction until the mid-late 90's, everyone who held that IC title, imo, could have gone on to be World champion no doubt. Even fucking Honky Tonk Man, the guy was a super heel. Let's also not forget that someone else who was never IC champion who I think could have been is Million $ Man. Didn't need to be , but could have been very solid in that role.

For me I was a little negative to how they were booking the IC title during the New Generation. Dean Douglas, popcorn fart. SHANE DOUGLAS, ECW style, would have been great. Then you had Jeff Jarrett who I did actually appreciate but his stupid ass gimmick kind of ruins it and he had a much better run a few years later.

Ultimately the WWE fucked themselves when they started hot shotting the belt during the Invasion angle and then realllly fucking up by unifying it when the Raw roster had like 5 dudes that were worth a damn.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A Paul Roma run, and a feud with Hercules post a Power and Glory split, would have been nice.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since I’ve been watching old ppvs in order on the network and I’m on the 90’s stuff. 3 come to mind who were over heel or face and that’s Big Boss Man, Jake Roberts & Rick Martel, I mean even the Mountie and Jannetty held it.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh my bad probably the most who should’ve had and should’ve been WWF Champion is Million Dollar Man.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would have liked to see Bam Bam Bigelow circa '95 have a run.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about Tatanka? I wasn't super high on Tatanka but I could definitely see him as a guy that would have been a really good babyface IC champion.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was a big Savio Vega mark and I remember when he had the title won brating Goldust then bloody Gorilla ended up voiding it and they restarted. Damn you Monsoon! Vega then lost the rematch thanks to Austin yet Monsoon did nothing about that!

Very similar to the World title win that never was with Jericho/HHH.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    How about Tatanka? I wasn't super high on Tatanka but I could definitely see him as a guy that would have been a really good babyface IC champion.
    I thought he had one run?

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope never won a title in WWE.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bloody hell he didn’t did he, not even tag team.

- - - Updated - - -

Remember Mountie going to jail was funny that stuff. Match wasn’t that long I expected it to be longer

Banned
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - Tatanka during his early-90's undefeated streak. The guy that beats him for the first time ever also becomes the Intercontinental Champion. High stakes.

- Bam-Bam-Bigelow circa 1995. Agreed with whoever mentioned that above. If they weren't going to give Bammer a main event run, even after jobbing to a football player, an IC title run would have been a good consolation prize.

- Mabel in 1995. Heel King Mabel drops down the card and becomes a midcard heel monster champion. He was out of his depth in the main event scene, but he would've slotted in nicely right in the middle.

- Diamond Dallas Page, post-Invasion. I still feel like if age and injuries hadn't caught him, Page could have been on the IC title level. It would've taken some hardcore rehab to rebuild Page after he'd been repeatedly buried six-feet under by the Undertaker, but they could have pulled it off.

- Raven in 2000. Hard to believe, but Raven came in with a lot of hype in 2000. If Vince ever decided he could trust him, an IC title run wouldn't have been out of the question at some point.

Banned
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, add Austin Aries to my list.

Maybe if they would have made that whiny little bitch IC champion, he would have stuck around for a while.

Heel Intercontinental Champion Aries vs. Babyface Challenger Miz? I'm in, guys.

Mentioned
    290 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    1-2-3 Kid (93 or 94) or X-Pac (98 or 99).

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think John Cena should get a IC title win before he is gone for good. Even just a one day run.

Banned
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vader in 1998. Right around the time they were heating him back up with that mini-feud with Kane. Even if he only got a few token defenses, he would have been somebody worth giving a run to and then jobbing out to somebody younger and healthier.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    grenadines
    Martel is and was a former AWA Heavyweight champion. He did alright as a tag champ and putting over Razor as IC material.

Tatanka has an undefeated streak to his credit. He was a little strange for IC.

I agree that 123 Kid and X Pac were IC material. At least he got Lightheavyweight gold.
    And Vader deserved something just to add to his accolades.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudz Mackenzie View Post
    - Tatanka during his early-90's undefeated streak. The guy that beats him for the first time ever also becomes the Intercontinental Champion. High stakes.

- Bam-Bam-Bigelow circa 1995. Agreed with whoever mentioned that above. If they weren't going to give Bammer a main event run, even after jobbing to a football player, an IC title run would have been a good consolation prize.

- Mabel in 1995. Heel King Mabel drops down the card and becomes a midcard heel monster champion. He was out of his depth in the main event scene, but he would've slotted in nicely right in the middle.

- Diamond Dallas Page, post-Invasion. I still feel like if age and injuries hadn't caught him, Page could have been on the IC title level. It would've taken some hardcore rehab to rebuild Page after he'd been repeatedly buried six-feet under by the Undertaker, but they could have pulled it off.

- Raven in 2000. Hard to believe, but Raven came in with a lot of hype in 2000. If Vince ever decided he could trust him, an IC title run wouldn't have been out of the question at some point.
    I imagine this was another "I don't get it" characters that Vince came across. Some people think that Vince also buried ECW talent but ECW was basically NXT to Vince back in the day. But Vince did have a weird way of pushing talent coming from ECW. Including Steve Austin, who he famously told people he didn't want Austin to cut promos......................

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jake, Beefcake, and Crush are three guys I think could have had title. I want to mention Shane Douglas as well. I don't count his win. Orndorf too if he was not constantly hurt

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ukraine
    Cesaro.

There was a period around 2000 when Steve Blackman was feuding with Shane O'Mac over the hardcore title and was mega over with the crowd. Then he got injured and disappeared from view.

Intercontinental Champion
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brutus the Barber Beefcake, regardless of skill was crazy over and scheduled to win that belt at Summerslam whatever before the parasailing accident.

Its funny to listen to him bitch about Pat Patterson coming up with this gimmick for obvious flamboyant reasons and ruining Beefcakes great career arc to the top (he thinks he was going to replace Hogan lol). Steroids, alcohol and cocaine must've put this guy in a permanent delusional state.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    grenadines
    Crush had the greatest look to follow Hogan and Warrior, but he was never as charismatic.
    Beefcake, however, that guy was man's best friend. Something about The Zodiac was scary to me as a youngster. Poor Disciple ... he couldn't even get a shave...

Beefcake gets my vote.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crush was a worse wrestler than Warrior & Hogan Lol. I just seen Crush’s match vs Repo Man from SummerSlam 92, WOW

Banned
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crush being a fairly limited worker back then wouldn't have been as big of an issue as it would be today.

Being "severely limited" didn't even keep guys from being huge main event stars. Warrior says hi.

Babyface Crush as Intercontinental Champion bouncing heel Mr. Perfect around like a pinball could have been super fun for a while.

Banned
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll throw another guy out of there, from way out of left field.

Hell, he's not even from left field. He's not even from the parking lot. He's from the street where you turn into the parking lot.

Jamie Noble could have been a great Intercontinental Champion. Yeah, he was a Smackdown! guy, so he'd have been a closer contender for the U.S. title, but the point still stands; Noble was a great wrestler who could have good matches with anybody - guys who were his size, bigger guys, smaller guys - it didn't matter. The trailer trash hick gimmick was over. He could talk, he had charisma, he could be funny. He and Nidia were a great couple. Give Noble a big lug from OVW as a heater, and you had a guy who could be a fantastic heel Intercontinental Champion, or even a good underdog babyface Champ.

And, on a side note, Nidia was really hot.

Banned
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WWE had The Wall aka Malice under contract for a while. He was never in OVW, but he did make a few shots for the Memphis training promotion - The HWA - Heartland Wrestling Association - before he quit and eventually wound up being a big piece of early NWA-TNA shows.

The Wall as Jamie Noble's big bodyguard buddy, while Nidia is the skanky chick who thinks "success" is ugly fur coats and acting like she's in The Beverly Hillbillies - talking about "concrete ponds".

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guys who shouldn't have been:
    Santino

Banned
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Santino
    Santina should have gotten it.

Second ever female Intercontinental Champion. Groundbreaking stuff.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Santino
    Slightly harsh. The Honk-a-meter stuff was gold.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plus his debut against Umaga was great.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree wholeheartedly with this. Not all of them will get there, but there should be the potential for them to be a main event guy in the near future. Which is why I'm a bit bemused to see people mentioning guys like Jamie Noble and Savio Vega. What would have been the value of them holding an upper midcard belt? No main event potential whatsoever.

What you're describing with Daniel Bryan was exactly what he was supposed to do at the same time Cena was doing the US title thing after Mania 31, but then he got injured and had to drop it.

I'd like to see IC champs interact with the World champs more - have them in the periphery of their feuds, sort of like a Money in the Bank holder would be but without the imminent threat. They should be reminding the World champ that they're on the way up and if they aren't ready right that second, they very soon will be. The Rock and HHH knew all about Benoit and Jericho in 2000 and would cross paths with them semi-regularly.

Of course all of this comes back to three of the biggest problems WWE has had for years - long term planning, star making and having far too many people on the roster.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also Haku woukd've been a badass IC champ.

Banned
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One Man Gang as Intercontinental Champion around '88, '89.

Big, imposing heel who'd look credible working against anybody. He'd have been a great heel foil for John Studd, Junkyard Dog, and the likes of those solid midcard babyface guys.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Santino
    Chyna

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Great shout

My dad pinned Mr Backlund Kneeneighbor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudz Mackenzie View Post
    I'll throw another guy out of there, from way out of left field.

Hell, he's not even from left field. He's not even from the parking lot. He's from the street where you turn into the parking lot.

Jamie Noble could have been a great Intercontinental Champion. Yeah, he was a Smackdown! guy, so he'd have been a closer contender for the U.S. title, but the point still stands; Noble was a great wrestler who could have good matches with anybody - guys who were his size, bigger guys, smaller guys - it didn't matter. The trailer trash hick gimmick was over. He could talk, he had charisma, he could be funny. He and Nidia were a great couple. Give Noble a big lug from OVW as a heater, and you had a guy who could be a fantastic heel Intercontinental Champion, or even a good underdog babyface Champ.

And, on a side note, Nidia was really hot.
    Yup trail trash Nida was high on my list.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    Santino
    This a totally wrong answer. It should have lasted til we got closer to the Honk-A-Meter

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes! I loved Haku and wanted to see him mix it up with the main eventers actually. It looked like the were going to feud him and Rikishi with the Brothers of Destruction at Mania, but for whatever reason, it didn't happen possibly due to Rikishi's injury, and then without his partner they had nothing for Haku. Shame. I was a big fan of his in WCW. Had WCW not been on the way out within two months, I think one of their champions entering the Royal Rumble would've been remembered as a bigger deal. He was their hardcore champion not under contract so Vince brought him in, he's one of the guys I prefer calling him Meng, because that's where I feel he came into his own. The belt wasn't used after Meng left so it became lost to time. He wasn't under contract in January 2001 to WCW, they had the belt on him...and WWE made him an offer, and he figured he'd take it. Story is, he gave the belt to Barbarian before leaving his last show. Matches against Raven and Rhyno would've been interesting to see. I love the way he no sold Goldberg's kick in that one match they had. I like the match he had with Giant where they stood there trading with each other.

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jake should have been IC champ for sure.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    grenadines
    MENG should have been WCW champion.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Santino was terrible. The Honk A Meter is a prime example of why this guy tanked the credibility and prestige of the IC title.

Before he held it there was still a sense of this guy must be important. Not with Santino. Ever since he dropped it the belt has struggled to regain it's spot bcuz we have fans who put scooby doo comedy over quality.

At least with Chyna she was made out to be a badass 6ft tall beast. There's a reason Pete Gas didn't win the IC title.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not the most prestigious sure but had entertainment value. Santino could take lame comedy and get that shit over.

Banned
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Kasady View Post
    Matches against Raven and Rhyno would've been interesting to see.
    Funny you should mention that.

Banned
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These two had some classics in WCW, had no idea they wrestled each other in the WWF.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doink the Clown

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not the most prestigious sure but had entertainment value. Santino could take lame comedy and get that shit over.
    Yeah but as IC champion, there's no room for someone to be champ for as long as he was based on how comedic he could be. That's one of the biggest flaws in WWE programming, damn near 20 years, that they're always trying to be funny. Santino as Hardcore champion would have been solid. IC champion? It's almost as bad as Hornswoggle as CW champion.

Doink the Clown

Evil Doink as IC Champion would have been interesting. I don't know where they could have squeezed him in there for it to matter because back then you didn't just get a run for a month or two unless you were hurt.

Banned
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Evil Doink as IC Champion would have been interesting. I don't know where they could have squeezed him in there for it to matter because back then you didn't just get a run for a month or two unless you were hurt.
    Doink should have been made Intercontinental Champion when he was having that great series of matches with Marty Jannetty on RAW. Their 2-out-of-3 falls match was fantastic. And hey, Doink would have had a great lineup of opponents for a while; Marty Jannetty, Mr. Perfect, Crush, British Bulldog. Even down to guys like Tatanka and "El Matador" Tito Santana. They could have had a great long-term champion on their hands if Matt Bourne (the "good" Doink) could have stayed off the crack. Ray Apollo wasn't going to have a near-5 star match with Marty Jannetty on RAW.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was a fan of Doink. I was hugely into the Doink stuff. I also dug his rough style of wrestling. He was one of the first guys my self viewed as a cut above the norm when it came to ability. Great as Borne Doink was, I can't even really blame WWF for cutting ties with Borne. What I can't forgive is WWF ruining this character by turning him into a fan favorite with a mini sidekick. The character had a lot of legs left with cool feuds on the table (Doink vs. Razor for the IC title comes to mind). But once he forfeits his mean tricks, he should become fodder for the likes of Bam Bam...

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was a fan of Doink. I was hugely into the Doink stuff. I also dug his rough style of wrestling. He was one of the first guys my self viewed as a cut above the norm when it came to ability. Great as Borne Doink was, I can't even really blame WWF for cutting ties with Borne. What I can't forgive is WWF ruining this character by turning him into a fan favorite with a mini sidekick. The character had a lot of legs left with cool feuds on the table (Doink vs. Razor for the IC title comes to mind). But once he forfeits his mean tricks, he should become fodder for the likes of Bam Bam...
    Foreshadowing the problems of when a heel becomes a bit popular, turn them face and strip them of why they were liked in the first place.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shawn Michaels was the Intercontinental champion for the duration of Doink's heel run. I liked the evil clown, but you don't put the title on him over the at-the-time future of the business. I'd suggest that Honky probably could have been any decent heel without main event potential considering the manner of the squash, and Tornado could have been another decent face at the time. Other than that, nobody who had it longer than a couple of weeks should be swapped until country singer Jarrett.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shawn Michaels was the Intercontinental champion for the duration of Doink's heel run. I liked the evil clown, but you don't put the title on him over the at-the-time future of the business. I'd suggest that Honky probably could have been any decent heel without main event potential considering the manner of the squash, and Tornado could have been another decent face at the time. Other than that, nobody who had it longer than a couple of weeks should be swapped until country singer Jarrett.
    I was about to say the same thing about Doink. He didn't need the title the same way Jake the Snake didn't need a run. Or even Piper. It's always weird to me that Piper is a former IC champion. Maybe I'm biased, but the guy imo is right up there with literally everyone but Hogan. To me Hogan is the biggest name of all time, then there's 1a which would be Stone Cold, The Rock, Piper, in terms of overall popularity in the wrestling universe. The Rock....Let me ramble because I need to:

My 9 year old daughter did not know about The Rock. She knew Dwayne Johnson, she did not know that he was a wrestler FIRST. Hulk Hogan to me is the biggest name associated with wrestling, if that makes sense. Not many people even dating back to Rock 3 I would imagine don't go "Hey there's Thunderlips the actor!"

So Piper was just a rung beneath but still mega popular. IC champion at that stage.....I guess if they didn't want Piper as champion in the babyface territory of WWF during 1985-1986 he wasn't going to be champion at all. Going back to Evil Doink, that was still an era where you didn't have to be a champion to be considered one of the best. He was one of the best during that time and it fit while not being as hokey compared to what followed. We can't forget that Evil Doink was a shade before TL Hopper and Duke the Dumpster. 1994 Survivor Series was pretty much the nail in the coffin.

They would need a respect comic book writer to resurrect Evil Doink. The son of Evil Doink? I don't know, it works in comics and lucha.

Banned
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Modern day Doink would probably be a lot closer to Pennywise from "IT" than an angry Krusty The Clown.

They could make it work with the right guy. Hell, MLW has a crazy clown guy coming in. Probably after the C-Virus gets cleared up.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was about to say the same thing about Doink. He didn't need the title the same way Jake the Snake didn't need a run. Or even Piper. It's always weird to me that Piper is a former IC champion. Maybe I'm biased, but the guy imo is right up there with literally everyone but Hogan. To me Hogan is the biggest name of all time, then there's 1a which would be Stone Cold, The Rock, Piper, in terms of overall popularity in the wrestling universe.

So Piper was just a rung beneath but still mega popular. IC champion at that stage.....I guess if they didn't want Piper as champion in the babyface territory of WWF during 1985-1986 he wasn't going to be champion at all. Going back to Evil Doink, that was still an era where you didn't have to be a champion to be considered one of the best. He was one of the best during that time and it fit while not being as hokey compared to what followed. We can't forget that Evil Doink was a shade before TL Hopper and Duke the Dumpster. 1994 Survivor Series was pretty much the nail in the coffin.
    Piper never got a belt because he refused to do a job to anyone and only got IC title because he agreed to let Bret pin him. Bret Hart and I think Rick Rude are the only people to pin Piper from 1985-1996.
    Last edited by Brock Kasady; April 18th, 2020 at 10:53 PM.