Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Plague Watching

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    grenadines
    Great write-ups, @Tainted Eclipse. I'm glad you give some love to BJ. I had forgotten about his work in the Field of Honor. I liked his match w/ Samoa Joe more than probably everyone.

Is there a reason you skipped War of the Wire? All I remember from it is the Cide/Corino rematch, but like you, I remember that BFSE match very fondly.

too big to fail Tainted Eclipse's Avatar
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ussr
    it just wasn't included in the torrent pack i downloaded, unfortunately. i do remember having watched the corino/homicide barbed wire match a couple years ago and thinking it was a big disappointment compared to their BFSE match, and looking at some of the reviews of the show it doesn't seem too hot otherwise, so at least it doesn't seem like we're missing much with that being the show left out.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    grenadines
    Hopefully that one turns up as Thursday throwback 'cause I remember it being really loved at the time.

Today I watched (on youtube):
    - Dominic Garini vs BJ Whitmer - AIW - Submit or Surrender match -- this was good, not great. This was Whitmer's farewell match and he maybe shouldn't have even worked it, he was so slow. I don't question the things he did in this match, he was just crippled looking and had nothing good to really add to the match. Garini on the other hand sells really well. He has a way of staying on his feet and looking hurt w/o just getting owned to look sympathetic. Garini wrestles barefoot and this match had thumbtacks. He also bleeds from a friggin railroad spike to the forehead. Garini came off as a better asskicker than Whitmer and this was a match where Whitmer competently kicks his ass for most of the match. The ending really made Whitmer seem like a bully who really didn't want to go down the road they took and that was a good way to go out. I didn't have the date on this...
    - Brian Kendrick vs BJ Whitmer - AIW -- this was a great showing from both men. Again, I didn't have the date on this, but they say Kendrick is on his way to Japan and that Whitmer has been on a one year comeback tour. Whitmer holds down and cuts off Kendrick with mostly strikes, forearms and such, and convinceably does so. Kendrick hits all of his stuff (his leg lariat, enziguri, and two superkicks - one with the left leg that hits BJ in the face with the point of his toes: very nice, very nice) and nearly wins, but BJ has his own Claymore Kick that wins in convinceable fashion. I was suprised to see Whitmer look this strong against Spanks.
    - Spanky vs Sean O'Hare - Velocity - two of my favorites and interestingly I never knew this happened and it happens to be from a period I never knew about where Kendrick wrestled in WWE as Spanky. O'Hare is huge and bullying but not really experienced enough to hold Spanky down the way he wants to; Josh Matthews compares him to both Piper and Vince, which is pretty high and damning praise. Spanky smacks him in the face with his leg lariat and it hits like a one legged dropkick. Another Velocity great from these two.

Banned
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

- I've said it before and I'll keep saying it. Hugh Morrus was an underrated big man. Damn good Moonsault. And that's "no laughing matter".

- Remember when the WWF gave Morrus a different finish for about 12 seconds on TV? A Reverse-DDT they called "The Punchline". He kept it after he started wrestling under his real name. So the name made no sense.

- I have no idea who Top Gun is. But he's on a highway to somewhere. I'll let you fill in the blank.

- Morrus ends Top Gun's flight early, with the No Laughing Matter.

Banned
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

- Total nothing match here -- Its babyface Jericho, just waiting for that heel turn to come, against Mark Starr.

- Except for one moment. Jericho works Starr into what's basically the setup for Christian's Unprettier finish, or whatever Chelsea Green calls her version of that move now -- but instead of driving Starr face down into the mat, he pulls Starr's neck over his shoulder and drops him in kind of a half-ass stunner/RKO thing. Weird.

- Jericho wins with a missile dropkick off the top. Not bad. This Jericho kid might have a future. Whatever happened to him?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    grenadines
    I miss Missile Dropkick finishes. Jericho, Riggs, and Booker. Even Paul Wight used a spinny one on big Ron Fuller...

Mentioned
    364 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudz Mackenzie View Post
    - Remember when the WWF gave Morrus a different finish for about 12 seconds on TV? A Reverse-DDT they called "The Punchline". He kept it after he started wrestling under his real name. So the name made no sense.
    I remember him using a sit-out powerbomb when he switched to his real name.

Banned
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mth View Post
    I remember him using a sit-out powerbomb when he switched to his real name.
    And eventually he stopped using the Moonsault and started beating guys, on the rare occasion he won, with a flying elbow drop, instead.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    grenadines
    Watched Gallagher vs Nese this morning. Nese continues to be less douchey, more brutal, like his CWC match with Kendrick. Gallagher continues to change up his game. I'll probably jinx him by saying this, but I still can't guess when he's gonna throw in a headbutt -- he still surprises me. Gallagher spent most of the match on defense and he had no trouble getting into place for Nese's flurry of offense that the whole match seemed to be- he made it seem like he was just trying to get his breath everytime he moved into place. Gallagher's roaring elbow wins again so someone is actually booking this guy to win -- hopefully he keeps a steady edge on Nese if this turns into a series.

Banned
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Horatio View Post
    I miss Missile Dropkick finishes. Jericho, Riggs, and Booker. Even Paul Wight used a spinny one on big Ron Fuller...
    For a guy with the size and muscle mass of Booker T, hitting somebody with a flying top-rope dropkick was the perfect finish. It'd be like getting hit with well-aimed small car. Everybody seems to forget how deceptively big Booker T is (and bigger in WCW in his younger days). He had a grace of movement and such incredible timing it tricked you into thinking he was smaller and more compact than he was.

Also, being partnered with Stevie Ray, who had all the size (and wrestling ability) of a small house didn't help the comparison.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    grenadines
    Booker definitely had his moments. I need to see BookDust vs Jericho & Christian again. That match got so much love

Banned
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Booker definitely had his moments. I need to see BookDust vs Jericho & Christian again. That match got so much love
    Booker T's entire tag-team career was "moments".

Stevie Ray would get in and slowly bludgeon guys to death, there'd be a heat sequence on Stevie Ray that could usually double as a replacement for a sleep-aid, and then Booker T would get the hot-tag and like two minutes to shine before the finish.

If anybody had any good memories of Harlem Heat, it was all and only because of Booker T.

Sucka!!!!!

Champ is Gone
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haven't watched any wrestling in a while. About to watch Rising the Next Generation in Osaka Dome. The NJPW Osaka Dome show from August 1998

Watching the commercial DVD so the matches are out of order. First up on this watch is Tadao Yasuda & Takashi Iizuka vs. Kazuo Yamazaki & Osamu Nishimura

Champ is Gone
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tadao Yasuda has roid gut.

Tadao Yasuda looks like if a noir villain got on the gas.

Champ is Gone
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yasuda is also the most fun guy in this match. As one might expect this is a very mat based match, but it's very dry. Near the end Yasuda come in for a series of genuinely fun high spots until a very cool finish. Yamazaki has him in the cross armbreaker. Looks like Yasuda is going to do the deadlift powerbomb spot, but instead can't get him up and submits. Never seen it done that way.

Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs Shiro Koshinaka is up next

Champ is Gone
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fun match. I wonder if Koshinaka's win over another nWo member was supposed to set up a title match with Chono?

Anyway on to the finals to determine the first ever Jr Tag Champs. Kanemoto and Wagner vs Otani and Takaiwa

Champ is Gone
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very disappointed with that one. Though I was never the biggest fan of the black trunks/black boots era of NJPW juniors. Kanemoto and Wagner had no chemistry whatsoever.

I will say that when Otani's hair went it went quick. Got a full head of hair here.

Muta vs Kabuki is up next. In 1998. Not expecting a barnburner here.

Champ is Gone
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh god it's worse than I thought. It's Muta and Kabuki vs The Mad Dogs in what they are trying to tell me is a super dream tag match.

Champ is Gone
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My knees hurt watching Muta try to do the ramp run in 1998

Champ is Gone
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah that sucked

Shinya Hashimoto vs Genichiro Tenryu is up next

Champ is Gone
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well that was more like it. They hit each other really hard to start. Hit each other really hard in the middle. And hit each other really hard at the end.

Champ is Gone
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back to finish the show

Starting this portion with Kendo Kashin vs El Samurai.

Champ is Gone
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This match was fucking terrible. Kashin always sucked but Samurai was no better here. Sloppy as hell in parts and the other parts were restholds.

Yuji Nagata & Kazuyuki Fujita vs Manabu Nakanishi and Satoshi Kojima is next

Champ is Gone
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So this was Nagata's return to NJPW from WCW. I don't remember him being there that late into 1998.

Solid match. Seemed to be setting up a generational rivalry with Nakanishi, but we know how that ended up.

Next up Jushin Liger vs Great Sasuke
    Last edited by Defrost; May 31st, 2020 at 5:25 PM.

Champ is Gone
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    fell asleep watching that match so that should tell you something.

Kensuke vs Don Frye is next

Champ is Gone
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fans hate Frye and quiet down when he is on offense and are super loud when Kensuke gets offense in

Frye did get over, but it cannot be overstated how much the NJPW fans hated the MMA shit

Champ is Gone
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fun while it lasted. Frye was an awesome dick. Post match pull apart between the MMA guys and the wrestlers was great.

Finally the main event. Tatsumi Fujinami vs Masahiro Chono

Champ is Gone
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wasn't bad wasn't great. Chono wins his one and only IWGP World Title.

Show was pretty mediocre despite a good card on paper. Hashimoto vs Tenryu easily match of the show.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    grenadines
    Was 98 a bad year for Liger and Sasuke? I thought those two would shake, rattle, and roll...

Champ is Gone
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was 98 a bad year for Liger and Sasuke? I thought those two would shake, rattle, and roll...
    Well I think this one falls in the old rule where the Jr heavyweight matches would always die in Domes for whatever.

Thankfully that's not true anymore. I'd say Devitt and Ibushi started to turn the tide and Hiromu finished the job on that one.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    grenadines
    Been forever since I went plague watching, but I'm finally getting around to ECW's Big Ass Extreme Bash, which I've always wanted to see. It's available on ECW TV on the network.

Jericho vs Cactus is an epic encounter. Cactus is on his way to WWF here and he's already sporting his brand new Mankind boots. Jericho is new to ECW and wrestles like no one you've ever seen before. He's like a highflying Bret Hart or something. Total Ricky Morton with a dropkick but he's built like a British Bulldog. I can't remember these two ever working together again. Did they team at some point? Their chemistry is off the charts.

Taz vs Whipwreck is like a better version of the Kross/Ciampa match that just happened. I said that match would be a great battle of the egos and it was. Ciampa wouldn't work underdog, he just took a beating, mounted a comeback and then took a final beating. In this match, Whipwreck gets his handed to him but he shows a technical expertise and savvy that makes you think he's got more than one chance of getting the upset. And Taz totally annihilates him with some purty suplays.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    grenadines
    I can't remember if I saw this 2/3 falls match between Juventud and Rey, jr. or if I just imagined seeing it. It was basically what I imagined and the previous ECW match these two had, the first 2/3 falls match, is shown in clips and appears to be something different than I imagined.
    Juventud is really on form here. He busts out a springboard somersault dropkick off the top rope that almost misses but totally surprises. He also hits a really good short-arm clothesline and a gorrilla press fallaway slam that happens so fast, it again surprises, but I think Rey was the real master in this. He was either selling or slapping on a new frankensteiner variation, no time catching his breath or pacing. I always heard this was a 5 star match and I guess it is, although I thought the clips of their previous match seemed more interesting (Rey wins a fall with an electric-chair suplex and loses the match after a super-brainbuster - what was that for??).

Champ is Gone
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just watched a 6 minute Finlay vs Meng match from a 1998 episode of Saturday Night. Fucking ruled.

Champ is Gone
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just watched a super boring hardcore match for the WCW Title between DDP and Bam Bam. I'd be surprised at how boring it was, but it did happen on Thunder.

too big to fail Tainted Eclipse's Avatar
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ussr
    speaking of random wcw tv matches this match is awesome. jericho and eddie vs. meng and barbarian on nitro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIWvSv1q7Ng

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    grenadines
    I just watched that this past week. Totally killer gem of a tag.
    Is there a better Faces of Fear match?

Champ is Gone
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another random Thunder match

Watched a Rey Jr vs Kaz Hayashi match that ended when roided up Randy and his harem ran in. The match before that was sadly nothing special. If I didn't' know any better I would have thought Hayashi was green as grass watching it. He seemed lost.

Just finished up a tv match between the Rock n Roll Express and Flair and Luger. Image the Rock n Rolls against Flair and Luger on tv in 1987. The match you are imagining is the match they had.
    Last edited by Defrost; July 6th, 2020 at 10:55 PM.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    I just watched that this past week. Totally killer gem of a tag.
    Is there a better Faces of Fear match?
    Haven't seen this one, but the Faces of Fear Vs. Glacier and Ernest Miller at World War 3 '97 was so much better than probably anyone was expecting. Was the opening bout that evening and probably the best match on the card.

Banned
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Haven't seen this one, but the Faces of Fear Vs. Glacier and Ernest Miller at World War 3 '97 was so much better than probably anyone was expecting. Was the opening bout that evening and probably the best match on the card.
    That whole show was solid.

Scotty Riggs had his best match ever against Raven. Disco Inferno had a fun match against Saturn. Ric Flair and Curt Hennig even recaptured some of their old magic and had a fun match.

Weirdly, Rey Mysterio and Eddie Guerrero, which should have been a barn burner, was a sloppy, botchy mess.

And the 3-Ring 60-Man Battle Royal was probably the most fun it ever was.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    Especially weird with Rey and Eddie because they’d only had their absolute classic the month before at Halloween Havoc.

Champ is Gone
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple of matches I just watched

Ric Flair vs Terry Funk from the 1989 Great American Bash. Awesome match. Sucks that Flair hated being a babyface and booked himself to go heel because he was awesome in this feud. Terry was always great. Post match brawl with Muta and Sting was great too.

Sting vs Cactus Jack from the Power Hour 11/23/91. This is a Submit or Surrender match. No DQs. Sting wins it after Mick cracks his head off the concrete after taking a dropkick from Sting off the apron to the floor. Then Sting puts the passed out Jack in the Scorpion and the ref calls for the bell because Jack is out cold. Hell of a brawl.

Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ukraine
    Never knew these two wrestled each other

Sometimes it's easy to forget Bulldog spent time traning in the Hart dungeon. Regal kicks out of the running powerslam, Bulldog piledrives Regal, but the 15 minute time limit expires on the 2-count.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    Been watching King of the Ring 1997. Brutal.

Been such a struggle that I haven't finished it yet.

Helmsley and Mankind in the final was ok. Shawn/Austin up next. I know this is the best match on the card, but finishes in a lame double dq. I expect dross from the 'Taker/Faarooq main event.

Helmsley/Ahmed and Lawler/King were nothing matches, as was LOD/Sid Vs. The Hart Foundation.

Thankfully, Canadian Stampede is the next show!

Banned
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    -- The ending on that Regal/Bulldog match was obviously kind of mistimed. I doubt there was actually a plan to have a heel in a mid-card match kick out of Bulldog's finisher. If I had to bet, I think it was supposed to come down to the final few seconds, Bulldog was supposed to plant Regal and 1-2-time runs out-3. But they bungled it.

-- Undertaker/Farooq isn't great. But it is the debut of the...

So, there's that. Also, it only goes like 12 minutes.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    grenadines
    I liked Foley/Lawler. Nothing too intense for these two but it's a Lawler clinic.

Was that really the only Bulldog/Regal match-up?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    grenadines
    So I decided to see what IWTV has done lately. These 2 stood out so I watched them:

- Malakai Black vs Davey Richards - Prestige -- Richards seems a little more chiseled than in his younger years, and I already like aging Richards more than his past incarnations. Black is getting House of Black chants and it seems really unfair. I think Black thought so, too...The match is worked around Richards left leg getting hurt and he even tries to take out Black's leg in response. At times, Richards is really convincing and his facial expressions got me realizing that the last thing this guy needed was to lose a leg in this ... but it turns out he was faking! Or no, it just got better as the match progressed. But the ending was great and it did include some more great selling from Davey Richards leading to an unexpected House of Black (that's what it's called, right?). Thanks for not forgetting your leg hurt when it counted, Davey. That finish was *chef's kiss*

- Matt Makowski vs Tom Lawlor - Black Label Pro -- was this the greatest match ever? It certainly contained the best wrestling. I know, other matches contain greater spots, storytelling, etc.; however, I wonder how many matches are so progressive that the first move in the match is a figure-4 leglock? I remember in the SmackDown Six era, Kurt Angle was seen on Confidential making comments about how only Benoit, Eddie G., and Brock were on his level and how we may someday, somehow, see them usher in a brand new style of wrestling. This Lawlor/Makowski match had to be that style of wrestling and at the same time, something Kurt Angle never imagined. I wish I knew what Tom Lawlor's current likeability was supposed to be; I get that he's the champ in this, which was probably enough, but the crowd acted like they would rather boo him. They didn't though and for whatever character dynamic these two had going in, I wish I knew, they were obviously as real as they needed to be. Is Makowski still in Lawlor Club? If so, this match was wanting nothing.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - Malakai Black vs Davey Richards - Prestige -- Richards seems a little more chiseled than in his younger years, and I already like aging Richards more than his past incarnations. Black is getting House of Black chants and it seems really unfair. I think Black thought so, too...The match is worked around Richards left leg getting hurt and he even tries to take out Black's leg in response. At times, Richards is really convincing and his facial expressions got me realizing that the last thing this guy needed was to lose a leg in this ... but it turns out he was faking! Or no, it just got better as the match progressed. But the ending was great and it did include some more great selling from Davey Richards leading to an unexpected House of Black (that's what it's called, right?). Thanks for not forgetting your leg hurt when it counted, Davey. That finish was *chef's kiss*
    Yes this.

Folks were GUSHING over this match, and yeah it deserves so much more attention.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    grenadines
    Yeah, I know Davey didn't completely no-sell the leg and we've seen him hulk through that sort of thing in the past, but it was really awesome seeing him sell Malakai like something he'd never encountered before; the facial expressions, the crumpling to the mat due to the leg or being to slow for Black. It's actually really something fresh, Malakai Black's sort of wizardry and following must be what it was like to see The Undertaker supernaturally no-selling once upon a time (just like Wednesday at AEW, seeing Penta's entrance and the long intro to the tag match gave me the sort of chills like I've never seen darkside on darkside before).

Also, I forgot to mention it, but there's already a clip on IG of Malakai hitting his high-knee strike straight to Richards' face. That shit was rare, Davey could retire after that match just based on that shot. I felt bad for him, I think he kneeled and hid his face like he could have been crying. This was Jimmy Snuka at WM level of burial. Wouldn't mind seeing Davey join House of Black now. No way does he have a chance against Black, but he may be good enough to be their job-guy.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    grenadines
    Last edited by Horatio; March 23rd, 2024 at 3:58 PM. Reason: the longest post of all time

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    grenadines
    Oops, I double-post'd again.....

I just watch'd The Rock vs Triple H, from both Backlash and Judgment Day 2000.

I had beene wondering what Triple H's best match is ever since the Dustin of the Day thread popped up at the green board. Well, needless to say, I found it.

The Backlash match is a terrific set-up for the Ironman match. It shows how evenly both men are match'd; that is to say, they are not quite evenly match'd, and we see it by the expressions of Triple H's tenacity tainted by a glum defeatist tinge. He knows Rock is bigger-larger-better, but he has to prove he's at least worthy of going the distance with him. This one is a great American pro-style match, one of the best of its kind; almost the poster version of the WWE PPV main event for this era. It comes to a climax with an incredible double-Rock Bottom through a table (perform'd by The Rock on Triple H and Shane McMahon). A spot like that is almost worth the price of admission. I mean, it's a really classic high-spot that should have beene replay'd on Titan-Sports mix-tapes throughout the years but I never saw it before. To Triple H's credit, I remember his verticle suplex being tremendous and I'll say that the match is only bland in hindsight; while watching, it was thoroughly intriguing.

The Ironman is a different story as Triple H put on the performance of his career. He basically dies for The Rock with every bump and bit of defense that he has to perform. Even when he gets his leg post'd in the corner, the first time Rock slams it into the post it's one for the ages.
    The match kind of makes one wonder about if it's a work or a shoot with the ring-psychology. The detail is just so careful, it's hard to imagine how the countout fall was planned to be so satisfying in the story arc. In this match, The Rock is clearly the better man, he wins the first fall by surprise about 10 minutes in, but then, 26 minutes in, he gets surprise'd by a Pedigree and mix'd with fatigue, he has to start playing smart. He acts dazed and defeat'd only to surprise Helmsley with explosive comebacks. And like I said, Triple H basically dies with every bump and its incredible to see. The Rock always looks too big to bump the way he does, and it's always kind of alarming to see him hit the mat/floor considering his size and the fact that there's not a lot of room for a man his height to just bounce around; however, Triple H comes into these matches a little thin so that he can fly into the mat like he's being guide'd by some giant, divine fly-swatter. And seriously, every bump he takes in this match is the sort of bump that would make a curious wrestling prospect wonder if it can be done on the regular... Bravo, Triple H. After 21 years of letting you anger me by sucking, I finally found out when, if not why, you don't suck.

Mentioned
    444 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    If triple h has had a good match, surely it's not because of him.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    grenadines

Horatio K. Dick, A Theologian

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    If triple h has had a good match, surely it's not because of him.
    The Judgment Day 2000 Iron-Man match is the best Iron-Man match because of all 8 or 9 people involved over the course of the hour.

I just watch'd this...: Darby Allin vs CIMA from AEW Dark (Episode 1 - The Phantom Menace) https://youtu.be/wYExkbxUSyw?si=hFdrddcTda3C4uNr

Basically, this match is for people interested in the truth behind spiritual things. Not spirituality in general, but spiritual things like, the Bible and the truth, and are they the same thing, and does one take the backseat to the other, and so forth.
    - The reason I say this is because it's like watching Atreyu vs Peter Pan, or more specifically: Jesus vs Little King David.
    - The Bible is basically a story of 2nd place. Jesus is second to God, but they switch places. Archangel Michael is match'd by head-elf Gabriel. Employee of the Month Simon-Peter learns humility by watching Apostle Paul survive poisonings. Even in the Old Testament, it's a long line of men coming in second place to God - Adam, Noah, Abraham, Moses, Joshua, Samson, Daniel, and the biggest #2 in the whole book: Davey Boy (son of Uncle Jesse). The Bible teaches there is no Won without the Zero, so you're always getting bronze at best with mom and dad coming in tying for first before you were even born. Even the father of Jesus, Joseph, wasn't his real father, and in the Old Testament, Joseph the Prince of Egypt was actually just a really important guest in a foreign palace - not an actual prince. So, The Bible wants us to accept that we're always coming in second place as nothing is really permanent in the World of Pro-Wrestling. The greatest cruiserweight in the world - CIMA, is never going to be able to prove he is better than Darby Allin unless he can do it here on AEW Dark in utter insignificance after both guys died in The Promise'd Land thousands of years ago... You have Wikipedia. Look it up...

CIMA basically learn'd to stop being a rookie by whoop'n all of Ultimo Dragon's students one or more at a time in dark Toryumon/Dragon Gate dungeons, did he not? Meanwhile, Darby goes straight from defeating Goliath to challenging God, or the son of God anyways, who is CIMA. How do I know that? Because, who leaves Japan to do public-relations wrestling in China of all places? Only a saint. A saint like CIMA, who is basically the greatest wrestlers I've ever seen, until this match, where he takes second place to the fastest wrestler I've ever seen, Darby Allin.

Darby headbutts his quadricep while he's the Tree of Woe. He runs, spins, and back-elbows said quadricep. He DDTs his ankle to further stretch the Lord's quadricep. CIMA still entertains. Nothing can stop CIMA from entertaining. Nothing at all. Never has. Except maybe whatever is keeping CIMA away. Thoughts and prayers, CIMA. What more could we have ever ask'd of you? I'll venture to say: set-up a Coffin-Drop with a Code-Red. Freak'n awesome match. Best match of all-time if all-time could be contain'd in about 8 minutes. I want to see more CIMA even after seeing the greatest CIMA match of all time, BUT, I have to also say Darby is even better in cruiserweight matches than he is playing the underdog against anyone on earth. What do we learn from the story of CIMA vs Darby Allin? That can be found in the only book-of-philosophy in the Bible wherein it states: Time and Chance is the Fate of Every Man. In the Passion of the CIMA, we find out that King Darby is a ruthless warlord, and ruthless after all.
    Last edited by Horatio; March 30th, 2024 at 7:14 PM.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    grenadines
    4 matches I just watch'd on youtube:

TJP vs "Filthy" Tom Lawlor - Relentless Wrestling - https://youtu.be/0X_D6_Oq2fw?si=6GNvoe6MoXVF67B8
    "Filthy" Tom Lawlor vs Jon Moxley - Defy Wrestling (Apr. 30, 2022) - https://youtu.be/YaZnos1HUW0?si=TmG2NEcK8qDUGr1U
    TJP vs Buddy Matthews - MLW (2022) - https://youtu.be/nBTJdRMeGes?si=FNHiYkxF70TSWB9a
    TJP vs Alexander Hammerstone - (Without A Cause, couple years old) - https://youtu.be/oYkqen_HJVE?si=DyKhZuHNpeLNs2PY

Basically had to get to watch'n TJP because he's the greatest wrestler of the 21st century. I realize'd that early into viewing TJP, and thusly, he became my favorite wrestler. He was so good I forgot about him entirely after every match I saw him in. Disappear'd like a ninja, almost on cue..
    so, I was pleasantly surprise'd to see he seemingly recently wrestle'd the greatest mat-wrestler of the 21st century, Tom Lawlor. It's easy to say Tom Lawlor might be the greatest indie wrestler of all-time. He's train'd in MMA and was successful in MMA sports, but he's also indie-rific as all get-out. There's things he does in his indie appearences that just wouldn't fly in any sort of major (even in MLW - he goes major by proving he can black an eye with a finger-poke which appear'd to do be done as a dare - see his match versus Davey Boy Smith where the match has to continue awkwardly even though the story is clearly that he was challenge'd to black Davey Boy's eye with a thumb-poke, and surely enough, Davey Boy's eye turns darkly bruise'd within seconds of a random thumb-poke in mid-match; the two are now, not surprisingly, partners).

This match with TJP though, it kind of does a rare thing in exposing Lawlor's only weakness, and that's in setting up spots for a cruiserweight. Just a couple of times in this match, he seems a little too faking-it to wait for TJP to hit his major-highfly flow-style babyface spots. On one hand, it's good to see him selling for the greatest wrestler in the world who seems to be going full-force as a mega good-guy in Relentless. On the other hand, this is Tom Lawlor, and he could have been meaner and force'd TJP to hurt him a little more to set up the high spots.
    - That said, this is a great match. If you enjoy the greatest wrestlers in the world and don't mind seeing them fail at doing the impossible (having the greatest match in the world with eachother - although they're hardly an equal match for one another), check out this match for the fun of it. I give it **34 because in hindsight, it wasn't too memorable and like I said, Lawlor's indie-leanings kind of expose'd the greatest wrestler of all-time and made him look cheap for like 2 seconds, so I'm not okay with that, but I still love'd this match and would watch it again.

I'm going to review the other matches in my blog since I am a sick person who says too much than is decent to say about single wrestling matches on the internet.
    Last edited by Horatio; March 30th, 2024 at 7:12 PM.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    grenadines
    Some matches I've review'd on my blog that I would put in this thread if they weren't sum'd up at the one-million word-count.

Owen, Bulldog, Vader vs. Shawn, Ahmed, Sid - 1996 (basically awesome)
    Shayna vs. Liv - 2022 (MOTY)
    Jake Lee vs Takashi Sugiura - 2023 [****1/2 - find this one and watch it; one of the greater old man performances from Sugiura and something truly unique in Jake Lee in from All Japan kind of like a young Keiji Mutoh in from New Japan in Pro-Wrestling NOAH (they even DRESS THE SAME~~)]

Also just watch'd Jake Lee's GHC title defense against Marufuji. Holy cow, that was awesome. Marufuji only kick'd him in the face like 27 times, but each one happen'd to land squarely on the face and make those sick slapping and thudding sounds. Jake Lee's thing is that he doesn't get to land all of his stuff throughout, but everything he does land hits so hard that his opponents can't take his stuff for very long as he's seemingly in his prime as a big young buttkicker. But, hey, watch Marufuji knee him in the face and tell me there's nothing Marufuji-ish about it. Check it out on youtube while you can; it's 26 minutes of absolute perfection (Keiji Mutoh on commentary~).
    Last edited by Horatio; April 6th, 2024 at 10:32 PM.