Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Plague Watching

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Great write-ups, @Tainted Eclipse. I'm glad you give some love to BJ. I had forgotten about his work in the Field of Honor. I liked his match w/ Samoa Joe more than probably everyone.

Is there a reason you skipped War of the Wire? All I remember from it is the Cide/Corino rematch, but like you, I remember that BFSE match very fondly.

too big to fail Tainted Eclipse's Avatar
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ussr
    it just wasn't included in the torrent pack i downloaded, unfortunately. i do remember having watched the corino/homicide barbed wire match a couple years ago and thinking it was a big disappointment compared to their BFSE match, and looking at some of the reviews of the show it doesn't seem too hot otherwise, so at least it doesn't seem like we're missing much with that being the show left out.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Hopefully that one turns up as Thursday throwback 'cause I remember it being really loved at the time.

Today I watched (on youtube):
    - Dominic Garini vs BJ Whitmer - AIW - Submit or Surrender match -- this was good, not great. This was Whitmer's farewell match and he maybe shouldn't have even worked it, he was so slow. I don't question the things he did in this match, he was just crippled looking and had nothing good to really add to the match. Garini on the other hand sells really well. He has a way of staying on his feet and looking hurt w/o just getting owned to look sympathetic. Garini wrestles barefoot and this match had thumbtacks. He also bleeds from a friggin railroad spike to the forehead. Garini came off as a better asskicker than Whitmer and this was a match where Whitmer competently kicks his ass for most of the match. The ending really made Whitmer seem like a bully who really didn't want to go down the road they took and that was a good way to go out. I didn't have the date on this...
    - Brian Kendrick vs BJ Whitmer - AIW -- this was a great showing from both men. Again, I didn't have the date on this, but they say Kendrick is on his way to Japan and that Whitmer has been on a one year comeback tour. Whitmer holds down and cuts off Kendrick with mostly strikes, forearms and such, and convinceably does so. Kendrick hits all of his stuff (his leg lariat, enziguri, and two superkicks - one with the left leg that hits BJ in the face with the point of his toes: very nice, very nice) and nearly wins, but BJ has his own Claymore Kick that wins in convinceable fashion. I was suprised to see Whitmer look this strong against Spanks.
    - Spanky vs Sean O'Hare - Velocity - two of my favorites and interestingly I never knew this happened and it happens to be from a period I never knew about where Kendrick wrestled in WWE as Spanky. O'Hare is huge and bullying but not really experienced enough to hold Spanky down the way he wants to; Josh Matthews compares him to both Piper and Vince, which is pretty high and damning praise. Spanky smacks him in the face with his leg lariat and it hits like a one legged dropkick. Another Velocity great from these two.

Mia Yim? Mia Yum... Spudz Mackenzie's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

- I've said it before and I'll keep saying it. Hugh Morrus was an underrated big man. Damn good Moonsault. And that's "no laughing matter".

- Remember when the WWF gave Morrus a different finish for about 12 seconds on TV? A Reverse-DDT they called "The Punchline". He kept it after he started wrestling under his real name. So the name made no sense.

- I have no idea who Top Gun is. But he's on a highway to somewhere. I'll let you fill in the blank.

- Morrus ends Top Gun's flight early, with the No Laughing Matter.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

- Total nothing match here -- Its babyface Jericho, just waiting for that heel turn to come, against Mark Starr.

- Except for one moment. Jericho works Starr into what's basically the setup for Christian's Unprettier finish, or whatever Chelsea Green calls her version of that move now -- but instead of driving Starr face down into the mat, he pulls Starr's neck over his shoulder and drops him in kind of a half-ass stunner/RKO thing. Weird.

- Jericho wins with a missile dropkick off the top. Not bad. This Jericho kid might have a future. Whatever happened to him?

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I miss Missile Dropkick finishes. Jericho, Riggs, and Booker. Even Paul Wight used a spinny one on big Ron Fuller...

Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudz Mackenzie View Post
    - Remember when the WWF gave Morrus a different finish for about 12 seconds on TV? A Reverse-DDT they called "The Punchline". He kept it after he started wrestling under his real name. So the name made no sense.
    I remember him using a sit-out powerbomb when he switched to his real name.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mth View Post
    I remember him using a sit-out powerbomb when he switched to his real name.
    And eventually he stopped using the Moonsault and started beating guys, on the rare occasion he won, with a flying elbow drop, instead.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Watched Gallagher vs Nese this morning. Nese continues to be less douchey, more brutal, like his CWC match with Kendrick. Gallagher continues to change up his game. I'll probably jinx him by saying this, but I still can't guess when he's gonna throw in a headbutt -- he still surprises me. Gallagher spent most of the match on defense and he had no trouble getting into place for Nese's flurry of offense that the whole match seemed to be- he made it seem like he was just trying to get his breath everytime he moved into place. Gallagher's roaring elbow wins again so someone is actually booking this guy to win -- hopefully he keeps a steady edge on Nese if this turns into a series.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Horatio View Post
    I miss Missile Dropkick finishes. Jericho, Riggs, and Booker. Even Paul Wight used a spinny one on big Ron Fuller...
    For a guy with the size and muscle mass of Booker T, hitting somebody with a flying top-rope dropkick was the perfect finish. It'd be like getting hit with well-aimed small car. Everybody seems to forget how deceptively big Booker T is (and bigger in WCW in his younger days). He had a grace of movement and such incredible timing it tricked you into thinking he was smaller and more compact than he was.

Also, being partnered with Stevie Ray, who had all the size (and wrestling ability) of a small house didn't help the comparison.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Booker definitely had his moments. I need to see BookDust vs Jericho & Christian again. That match got so much love

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Horatio View Post
    Booker definitely had his moments. I need to see BookDust vs Jericho & Christian again. That match got so much love
    Booker T's entire tag-team career was "moments".

Stevie Ray would get in and slowly bludgeon guys to death, there'd be a heat sequence on Stevie Ray that could usually double as a replacement for a sleep-aid, and then Booker T would get the hot-tag and like two minutes to shine before the finish.

If anybody had any good memories of Harlem Heat, it was all and only because of Booker T.

Sucka!!!!!