Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,700 of 2650

Thread: The Official Friday Night Smackdown Thread

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to see the Clotter of Bloodlines return. Unfortunately, the ringside announcer really spoiled that reveal by saying Kingston was being accompanied by Woods lol.

You can just get the feeling Ronda is thinking about her promos as she’s doing them. She had the flub early but she did keep plugging along. It’s just not that impactful, however. I’m also not sure about portraying Ronda as the underdog as your hook for the story.

Really making hard work of things for Ricochet, booking wise, as both Angel and Humberto got wins over him in singles matches. Now both of them have a championship match against the champ. That said, there was a moderate positive in the form of Ricochet cutting a decent promo to transition from match to match. He’ll have to face both of them next week. He’ll win and probably look good, but they didn’t have to set it up this way lol.

Theory shouldn’t need to be running away after a cheap shot at McAfee. I guess that just speaks to his immaturity though. McAfee does well with his acting in these situations though. He’s like a fish to water with this stuff.

A true cluster for the Fatal 4-Way for the ladies, and that wasn’t always a good thing. Just my guess, since Sasha won here, Liv for Brutality takes it at Mania.

So the IC championship is off the books for Mania, as stated, and the US Championship is too, apparently, with Bálor in The Andre on Friday. What a waste. Omos wasn’t listed as a participant for this, so I guess he’s got his singles match. Again, what a waste.

Cowboy Brock was entertaining throughout the night. Then he was equally menacing at the end. Can’t imagine many more scenarios that are scarier than Lesnar with a pickaxe but there he was, just destroying Reigns’ Suburban. I’m curious to see how they take it home on Monday.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty tough for the big showdown moment, Shanky and Azeez, being a fart. No real problem with the final 4 (Bálor, Moss, Roode, and Ziggler) and the eventual winner (Moss). Seems we’re getting a prominent push for Moss after Mania. The fact Bálor convincingly eliminated Priest suggests to me that we should be done with those two squaring off for the time being. You never know, though.

A lot of matching color scheming in the triple threat for the IC Championship. Carrillo and Garza had their tumultuous moments but Ricochet had to take a beating for most of the match. Really cool finish with the 630 onto Garza and rolling right into the Recoil on Carrillo. Ricochet looks good in the end (crowd really gave some solid respect) but they’ve got a lot of work to do to get him and the championship in a higher state in terms of respect.

Absolutely fantastic video package for KO/Austin. This could be on the short list of best Mania video packages.

The women’s tag situation just seems like it’s been a perpetual state of meh. Not sure why there needed to be a match between Sasha/Naomi and the champs, the champs to lose, and the match just filler-y.

Kind of cool for continuity sake to have Ronda and Shayna sparring as they get ready for Mania. Better promo for Ronda but still not where it needs to be. She said she’s going to rip Charlotte’s arm off and give it to her baby. Alrighty then. Charlotte was trying to channel Carlito with her promo, with a high usage rate of the word cool.

Metallica and Mania really seem to be coming together more and more. WWE opening up the wallet for All Nightmare Long worked for the physicality that were pushing for the feud.

You know Theory is a real prick (though a smart one) to attack McAfee when he’s rocking out to the Nakamura entrance. McAfee no sold an actually gnarly-looking table bump lol. Good continuation for McAfee to get pissed and escalate it by kicking in McMahon’s door after Theory ran in there. Good stunned reaction by McAfee when McMahon popped out. Good stuff across the board. This has done an effective job of getting heat on Theory.

Seems like they wanted to show strongman Boogs again and damn, did he ever look impressive as he was working over Jimmy Uso during their match. I guess he’s taking over Cesaro’s role in that regard. Theory, again, tormented and needled McAfee, but McAfee was surprised to see his newfound friend in Bálor come to his defense and created a six-man tag. Less than ideal for Bálor to take another loss here but the Usos caused a lot of interference, and Theory gets more heat off it. Cole being the voice of reason for McAfee is a nice layer to this and further builds the camaraderie between the commentary table. It also helps build that tension between Theory and McAfee without actual enhanced physicality. Saving it all for Mania.

Seems like a frisky call to end the show with Happy Talk. Corbin’s joke about Angela and McIntyre was cold. I guess McIntyre helped clear the set to help get the HoF ceremony ready lol. He showed some good fire to close the show.
    Last edited by BGMaverick; April 1st, 2022 at 10:47 PM.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

Fightful says Marcel is going to be Ludwig Klaus and Raquel is also likely getting a name change.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

Maybe just Ludwig.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post

Fightful says Marcel is going to be Ludwig Klaus and Raquel is also likely getting a name change.
    Raquel Strowman

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like Fightful got it half right, but a swing and a miss on the Klaus part. I guess that's why there's rumors and then just watching the fucking show.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Or they realized it was another Nazi name and changed it like when Gunther was going to be Gunther Stark.

It's like they leak names to have the internet do their research or something.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This show after Mania was the episode that Raw wished it was after Mania.

Another attempt to avoid the awkwardness with Ronda by having Kayla interview her. Meh. The crowd was on Ronda pretty quickly. They were trying to get under her skin but I thought she handled it fairly well. Her message made sense too and it was a noble sense of accountability. Of course the program with Charlotte is continuing with an I Quit Match. They’ll have to try hard to keep this one afloat.

Geez, Butch really is a bulldog in a human’s body. He was all over the place when Sheamus and Holland were cutting the promo before the match lol. It’s kind of entertaining to look at Butch in that way. It’s the only way he makes sense because regular humans don’t act like he does lol. King Woods is no more, I guess. That didn’t last too long. Good to know though that when he’s not clotting blood, Woods is bruising the weights haha. McAfee was doing the Lord’s work by giving a backstory to the “Eastie Boys”. He’s so good lol. Speaking of good, the match was good. Nice to see Butch work like we know he can. Interesting to see him throw a temper tantrum and lash out at Sheamus and Holland.

Cole tried to get over how big it was that GUNTHER was on Smackdown now (with “Ludwig Kaiser” lol). GUNTHER lit that jobber up. Woo. That was vicious. Surprising to hear a WALTER chant bust out in Milwaukee. McAfee tried to cover for it haha.

The name hits kept coming as Raquel “Rodriguez” was interviewed and shot down Los Lotharios’ advances for a kiss. With a quick intro, they may take their time to introduce her. Speaking of, where’s Xia?

A little harkening back to Bum Ass Baron Corbin with the terrible celebration on Happy Talk. Expected to see the dichotomy of emotions between Corbin and Moss from what happened to them during Mania weekend. Pretty wild to see Madcap Moss getting chants and cheers. I’m really surprised they rushed this turn for Moss.

Funny that Zayn tried to hate on cheese to get heat from the crowd. Simple way to get the match with McIntyre, though it was random. Zayn bailing made sense after he realized he bit off more than he could chew. Zayn is officially Teflon, so anything is in play for him going forward after this stuff with McIntyre is done.

Somewhat odd they went nearly 90 minutes without really going into detail on McAfee’s match. What a transition from that to an attempt to babyface a returning Lacey Evans as she poured her soul out with her struggles of her childhood and mentioned more of her past. She conveyed the message surprisingly well, but it was obnoxiously a complete 180 from her previous gimmick where she called the ladies “nasties”. It actually worked and got over in a positive way. Seems like it’ll be a rollout of weekly vignettes. This feels like Sonya Blade, modernized, in WWE. This is going to be a wild ride.

“Irrepressible” Liv Morgan? Why do we have to go with these silly monikers? So Liv came to Smackdown without her partner to build momentum to Monday’s rematch for the tag gold. Appears to be playing out to show the challengers have good intentions but undermine each other by not being on the same page. Naomi didn’t really help by adding much on commentary. Liv and Sasha had a pretty damn solid TV match and you build some intrigue with Liv winning and doing so cleanly.

Reigns wants the Bloodline to become belt collectors, so The Usos are gunning for RK-Bro and the Raw championships. Reigns was back to his gaslighting ways when Nakamura came out lol. Nakamura got some shine by stepping up but ultimately got punked out. He might make his way to Raw to spoil The Uso’s plans and intensify things with Reigns. Either way, Reigns is about that Bloodline Love.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Aichner was called up too, he’d have been Hans Gruber then changed to Mueller lol.

WALTER chants, Pat: “Gunther chants!”

Roman/Shnsuke which was teased before should be good if that’s what this is leading to. Shinsuke obv no chance but hopefully a good lengthy match.

Also Madcap face turn @Donald
    Last edited by Badger; April 9th, 2022 at 6:28 AM.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Wouldn't mind he turned face down so I can look at that chiseled booty.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess Roman is good to go. I really thought he was gonna give the belts to Jimmy and Jey to defend like some kind of Freebird rule if he would miss any time off.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Maybe they just know he's not going to wrestle for a while and he'll be healed by then. I'll be surprised if he has a match before Backlash.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Woods and Rollins I think are the only two wrestlers to have singles wins over Reigns during his reign so they should both be in contention but probably will both be forgotten about in the long run lol.

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whoever is booking Smackdown should be booking every promotion. Smackdown is just so smooth. I'm not saying everything is 10/10, but for years it's always been a show that even if everyone isn't Austin level over, it still comes together and works. Maybe this show was just exceptionally well thought out and put together.

Reigns v. Nakamura is interesting. If the idea is to give Roman some for Backlash, a little variety then I'm down. I don't see Nakamura winning but what I do see is a great hard hitting match. For me I was thinking Seth Rollins was up next. He didn't lose at Rumble. Too early for Drew or Cody unless they really play the long game. Summerslam is JULY 30th----weird! 3-4 months building up to a rare Roman pinfall/submission loss could work but what do you do from now until then without watering down the confrontation. That's where Roman v. Drew or Roman v. Cody should happen. We also don't know if Roman is defending both titles.

Rousey v. Flair "I QUIT". I'm digging it.

The fact the Smackdown team could make me go from hating Madcap to cheering him on shows the power of their ability lol. Keep Corbin in the midcard please. You could really build something in the IC title division with Ricochet at the top as he can work with damn near anyone. I wasn't even negative to Jinder being in the mix. If he's going to get a check might as well do some jobs for Ricochet.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reigns/Nak would be great. Intentional or unintentional, it’s the teased match we may get before they baited-and-switched with Cesaro.

Mentioned
    498 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    when you look at the last two people who became "ascendant" before roman-Becky during "The Man" phase and John during SuperCena time-you can really see a contrast.

Becky and John's reigns suffered because things became predictable. There was not a lot of drama heading into matches. You felt like you watched a match knowing the result already. This was just becoming more of a thing went to hiatus. With Cena, we saw the prolonged effect. It was just hard to book that level of dominance to stay fresh.

Would have never thought that someone would have a run like Roman, where I'm pretty sure who will win at each PPV for about 2 years....and I'm still completely invested. I genuinely did not see the WWE's ability to pull this off. But here we are. Long-term success and interest for their top guy.

Mentioned
    498 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And I know Roman will beat Shinsuke. And yet I am still excited for the match.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Same. I know who will win but should be a good match.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

Probably would have been Adam Cole.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm here for it. Knight's an outstanding talker and I like Mace and would like to see more of him. Could be a pretty good pair. Looks like Mace's gimmick might've changed, too, also a plus. Good news all around.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FFS they’ve turned Butch/Dunne into a blithering idiot. Feel bad for him.

Also Gulak. No longer wrestling and gets completely emasculated and beaten down by Charlotte. Steph eat your heart out lol. “I was fixing my bra!” and Charlotte throwing the Whats at the crowd for a change after the “You Tapped Out” chants was amusing though.

Sammi/Drew….meh. I like them both but just not into this feud.

I appreciate what they’re trying with Lacey but still prefer her as a heel.

New theme and singles push for Moss and Ricochet looking strong.

Usos/RK-Bro stuff was nice though and looking forward to the Backlash match.

Real mixed bag of a show.
    Last edited by Badger; April 16th, 2022 at 8:06 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, Roman's title reign has a clear path through to "The Biggest Match EverTM" at Wrestlemania with The Rock (which he also wins), right?

Orton in the Cell. They're on the path with The Uso's angle. Orton has won the title 3 times in the Cell, a legend, not faced him yet in this reign, and can build a revenge angle with the Bloodline taking the tag titles and injuring Riddle.

Rollins at Money in the Bank. Last person to defeat Roman for a World title. Also in Las Vegas at a Money in the Bank PPV. Only person Roman failed to beat in this title reign, and hasn't beat him period. Needs a bit of rehabbing, but 50/50 WWE probably has him beat Cody.

Lashley at Summerslam. Never pinned to lose his title. Unbeaten this year. First time match (to my knowledge) too.

McIntyre at the UK PPV. No brainer. British hero challenging the dominant World champion nearly 30 years to the day of Bulldog winning in the main event of Summerslam.

Lesnar in Saudi Arabia - yeah. "Last time ever" No Holds Barred or something. It's that or Goldberg, because the Saudi's love their stars.

Survivor Series is up in the air but you've got Styles and Riddle who he hasn't faced in this reign, or a multi-man - Reigns vs. McIntyre vs. Lashley vs. Lesnar would be epic.

Cody Rhodes at Day 1. No brainer. Grandson of a plumber challenging for the World title in his hometown.

Royal Rumble - Styles or Riddle.

Elimination Chamber - Lashley, Styles, McIntyre, Edge, Orton in the Chamber.

Even if he runs the table, you can call an audible and have a short reign for Drew or Cody if they got really hot. Or just do it anyway because the title wins would be epic. But the build and atmosphere to that lot, it takes it to best title reign of all time on paper. Imagine the heat in Cardiff and Atlanta in particular.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Naomi vs Rhea was really solid stuff. Naomi is really very good especially when they give her time, and Rhea benefits from working with talent more experienced than she is. Is it just my fantasy, or are they slowly pushing a lesbian angle between Ripley and Liv?

Riddle continues to impress me with how smooth he is becoming in the ring. Getting to work this long with Orton has really helped elevate him.

Moss is trying to get the thumb's up over. Hope it works for him. I wonder how long before they pair him with Shinsuke, so when Boogs comes back we can have a pose off.

I am not opposed to Gulak being used as an interviewer.

The lumberjack match next week should be fun - I hope they are smart enough to put Happy Corbin outside as well as Moss maybe on another corner.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Gulak could be good too. Still wish they didn’t make him a bitch on his announcing debut though and it doesn’t continue like that. We’ll see how it goes.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good on Orton, cutting one of the better promos he’s had. That really raised the animosity between the two championship teams and he put his resume out there in a way that fits him and works better than going down a Wikipedia list of accomplishments. I’m here for the unification match, and the division will be in an interesting spot after this. It’s gotten a lot of attention and prime real estate for solid matches but it’s radically thin. It’ll get thinner when RK-Bro inevitably goes their separate ways too.

Transitive property suggests that Rhea is assuredly the dominant portion of her tag team, since she beat Naomi and Liv couldn’t. There’s certainly some intrigue swirling around what they’ll book on Monday. It feels unlikely we’ll see a title change but there’s at least one turn lurking around the bend. Notable color scheme with the lighting behind Rhea and Liv in the talking segment prior to the match (Edge’s blue/purple hue).

Kind of feels like if The Punch Line is the name of your finisher, it needs to be a punch or something other than a neck breaker. The PHE (Post-Happy Era) for Moss is off and rolling. He needs new gear and a theme but there’s workable material there for him.

Fine first outing for Gulak in his new role. Effective in multiple ways.

This still is placeholder stuff for McIntyre but at least he isn’t getting ganged up on and does look imposing when getting his hands on Zayn.

Another good GIF moment with Butch diving into the screen to attack Woods. He really is a rabid dog but he’s pulling it off.

Week 2 with this new Lacey went about the same as week 1. The crowd didn’t seem that into it until the military aspect came around. Raquel not doing much again in her second week of Smackdown. Maybe she gets Nattie and then Nattie makes her full move to NXT.

The RK-Bro pairing has been so beneficial for both guys. It was a new coat of paint for Orton For Riddle, he has gotten his sea legs under him on the main roster, kept his personality in tact and got it over, and been able to deliver good matches. He had a good one with Jimmy, and the RKO was a nice one. Orton marking out for it and going into the ring before the count was a good touch. I can see this building where the RK-Bro guys win their share of the singles matches but The Usos win when the unification comes around.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can see way both ways for Gulak. Did his job fine and got Charlotte over, both good and frustrating at the same IMO. As long as they don’t make him a stupid bitch like most announcers (except Kayla Braxton who is both hot and give as good as she gets, especially with Heyman) I can let this slide and hopefully book him well.

Dunne though…not getting behind this “Oh sorry we lost our dog!” crap. Name change I could get over and on paper, a good stable but treating Dunne like a retard/pet….nah.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Well he is English

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Well he is English
    Well played as that made me laugh hard when it shouldn’t really have.

But seriously yeah….stupid.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Pete Dunne has the talent to overcome this, and he will.

Mentioned
    498 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well he is English
    That is an excellent point. If we don't saddle the English with gimmicks like this from the start, that whole country is going to start getting out of hand again.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nobody, not even England, deserves gimmicks like this.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    I can see way both ways for Gulak. Did his job fine and got Charlotte over, both good and frustrating at the same IMO. As long as they don’t make him a stupid bitch like most announcers (except Kayla Braxton who is both hot and give as good as she gets, especially with Heyman) I can let this slide and hopefully book him well.

Dunne though…not getting behind this “Oh sorry we lost our dog!” crap. Name change I could get over and on paper, a good stable but treating Dunne like a retard/pet….nah.
    Explain this part.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    Explain this part.
    Don’t know if you watched the show but anyway Dunne is currently treated like an idiot/pet dog in promos growling. Sheamus: “Oh no we’ve lost him!” like they’ve lost their dog when he disappeared.

Why have him do this shit and have him act well….you know human like he was in NXT. Instead just stupid comedy shit like he’s a raving loony/rabid animal.

“Who’s your enemy?” like a master asking it’s dog.
    Dunne:”New Day!”

This shit is stupid and insulting to him.
    Last edited by Badger; April 18th, 2022 at 7:27 PM.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Don’t know if you watched the show but anyway Dunne is currently treated like an idiot/pet dog in promos growling. Sheamus: “Oh no we’ve lost him!” like they’ve lost their dog when he disappeared.

Why have him do this shit and have him act well….you know human like he was in NXT. Instead just stupid comedy shit like he’s a raving loony/rabid animal.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You should go back and watch Deacon Batista if you want to talk about stupid and insulting. I wonder what happened to that guy.

Smart ass comment aside I guess I was more trying to figure out how Pete Dunne was being treated, as you put it, like a retard. IDK if retard and pet (dog as you stressed in the reply) go together, not sure if "retard" describes Pete Dunne. I guess just an odd way of describing him.

I just figured Dunne was acting like a drunk in a pub always getting his bigger "mates" in a fight because that's all he wanted to do. Just some little drunk with a Napoleon complex. I think we all have a friend like that. I do, his name was Nick. He was half everyone's size but the first to start some shit.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    When I watched Smackdown before Mania he was basically Scrappy Doo.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I watched Smackdown before Mania he was basically Scrappy Doo.
    This is the best description.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plus Scrappy Doo was awful. Ruined Scooby.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was Scrappy Doo retarded?

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was Scrappy Doo retarded?
    Hyperbole but still like an idiotic dog like Scrappy.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I didn't even know we were still allowed to say retarded. Here I am always racking my brain for synonyms, like a retard.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't even know we were still allowed to say retarded. Here I am always racking my brain for synonyms, like a retard.
    We’re so woke now. God bless the past society with less snowflakes where you could describe something not to be taken literally and maybe have a sense of humour.

Can’t even really call people fat now because it’s “body shaming” lol

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Badger still made he can't say negro please the way Snoop did at the Bieber roast.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are you on about? Never said negro please on here.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are you on about?
    Nothing Tarantino

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing Tarantino
    If it’s what I think you’re on about, wrong phrase and it was cleared up.

Pete Dunne is being treated as STUPID and rushing into fights. Happy?

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I'm offended by the term rushing. Makes me think of neil peart and now I'm sad

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm offended by the term rushing. Makes me think of neil peart and now I'm sad
    My bad.

*He gets into fights a bit quickly.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

Someone probably called Animal Control.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm waiting for Luke Dunne to show up.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha, Gulak now moved to being Pearce’s intern and had a power point presentation over the nature of an I Quit Match lol. It’s kind of hilarious how Charlotte can just manufacture a kendo stick in any situation. This thing doesn’t have any juice, as I thought, from a promo perspective, but Gulak appears to be the whipping boy that tries to keep things fresh.

He’s not a king anymore, but Woods still lives it by wearing attire of royalty. It’s quite impressive how flat New Day can be from a booking perspective but crowds love them to no end. That push for Holland went absolutely nowhere but this one for Butch seems to be taking shape. Quite curious how that rabid mentality of his somehow calms down when it comes to matches. He’s been great in the matches with Woods, even taking Backwoods pins both times.

Aliyah randomly returned and I guess saw Gulak took on the role of an interviewer, so she forcibly and awkwardly tried to ask what Ricochet was doing next as champion. That didn’t go anywhere.

Holy hell, McAfee just casually dropping “say Guten Tag to ass beatings and big time choppings. He plays no games” about GUNTHER was too much haha. Considering how badly they botched Kross, I’m thankful they’re just going with squash matches for him and they’re working on getting the chops over.

Xia Li finally returned via quick promo. She said there’s no one worthy of her protection so she’ll protect herself. I guess that absence led us to a heel turn. Not sure how that’s going to go over, but I imagine that was necessary due to what will come up later.

Having Jey Uso wrestle a singles match anywhere other than the main event is just blasphemous. Riddle and Uso had a good one. Uso’s pop-up neck breaker looked super sick. Orton showed more animation and enthusiasm as a second on the outside than I’ve seen in quite some time. Riddle won again, and this is still playing out like I thought it would with the singles guys fairing better in the matchups against the Usos. Reigns looked antsy and frustrated over the course of the match and at the conclusion of the match.

Naomi and Sasha somewhat awkwardly went through an interview segment before Natalya and Shayna came out to assert themselves as the next challengers for the championships.

Call me crazy but I don’t think “Joke, joke, joooooke” is going to be the new glass shatters relating to impact for themes. We’ve gotta work on changing his gimmick but he’s at least hitting a bit better with his jokes now and he absolutely obliterated Corbin’s hairline. Feels like this was a pretty emphatic squash win over Garza, even with Carrillo trying to get involved. Corbin wrecked Moss with an End of Days and then stole The Andre from Moss.

Zayn had the gall to walk into Reigns’ locker room as the champ was chastising The Usos. Zayn used the fact that McIntyre was getting chummy with RK-Bro earlier in the night to help get The Bloodline on his side for the Lumberjack Match. Then he essentially lied about those three talking trash about Reigns. He was a glorious and cunning weasel here, lying but actually groveling by playing to Reigns’ ego. Reigns made it seem like he believed Zayn and threw in a Will Smith reference along the way. Regardless, this likely helped plant the seeds for McIntyre and Reigns.

We got a quick vignette for Raquel and she’ll make her Smackdown in-ring debut next week. We got week 3 of inspirational tales of Lacey’s past. As I alluded to, Xia had to be seen as a turn candidate because Raquel will be at worst a tweener, and they’re leaning heavily into Lacey as a face.

The Lumberjack Match dissolved once The Usos jumped McIntyre on the outside. Zayn eventually broke free, but Pearce said they will have a Steel Cage Match next week.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Natalya and Shayna? Yikes…

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely the product of a taped show as this was flat.

Gulak is just applying for all of the jobs on Smackdown with the latest one being the official timekeeper, starting with the Steel
    Cage Match. Pretty run of the mill cage match. Both guys worked well together and Zayn ultimately couldn’t run away and got got by McIntyre.

Moss shows good fire when he’s on the attack. You got that and then a jumpsuit so it almost looked like an entirely different guy, but then he reverted back after falling down and chuckling as Corbin ran off lol. Low expectations for the match with Corbin but I wouldn’t be surprised if they have a pretty decent match.

Can’t say Shanky lit the world on fire in his match against Ricochet lol. He wasn’t atrocious but he wasn’t much of anything either. For reasons unknown, there was a squabble between Shanky and Mahal after the match and the loser of the match walked away. Meh.

Raquel had her debut. Her saying she was nervous before the match and just smiling while she was having fun seems too off putting for what she can actually be. She looked fine while she was working though.

Quite funny how there’s a brawl going down and Reigns still saunters to the ring. With RK-Bro winning matches over The Usos, this was a necessary segment to see The Usos get the heat. Surprisingly we saw more in the sense of Reigns tearing up the unsigned contract for the Unification Match and McIntyre coming to even the odds. We then get a six-man match announced for the PLE, thus negating two championship matches. Huh, go figure. This also makes that interaction where Nakamura got punked out a few weeks ago look even worse for him.

There really wasn’t a lot of time for Shayna and Naomi. It was okay for what it was. Their styles don’t really mesh together so I guess it was for the best there wasn’t a lot of time there, but it wasn’t dreadful for what we saw. Naomi won, and the heels got their heat back by sneak attacking the champs. We’re getting a match next week between Sasha and Shayna. Okay.

Butch is still missing lol. New Day trying to get Shake It Sheamus over is a hell of a flex by them. Woods and Holland tussled and it definitely wasn’t as entertaining as the matches with Butch. It wasn’t bad but Holland just hasn’t really done much to get himself over. Clunky way to get it done but the Backwoods finished things again. Sheamus was ticked and wanted to fight Kingston. It was fine and Sheamus won, so this story without a likely satisfying finish shall continue, but with tables now.

We’re now a month into Lacey pouring her soul out to share the story of her traumatic childhood and young adulthood. We’re just retconning the Sassy Southern Belle stuff and that is outta sight, outta mind lol.

Ronda and Charlotte had Beat the Clock Matches. Usually these matches have stakes where the winner gets something. This, however, didn’t have that, so I’m not sure what we were doing this for lol. I guess the hook was that competitors had to win via submission. Ronda beat Shotzi quickly and Charlotte couldn’t submit Aliyah in time. Charlotte beat up Gulak again as she somewhat had a temper tantrum.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah definitely weird logic. “Go unify the tag titles!” “No wait let’s change the match and not get any titles!” Maybe they’ll change it later and put all the titles on the line.

Also the Beat The Clock gimmick is so lame and predictable these days. Nearly every time, the heels can’t win in time. Like you say it was more fun when something was on the line.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    Smackdown sucked last week. Nothing decent at all, for me.

And the irony of Sami and Drew being a cage match, where the aim is to escape, which is what Sami was presumably being 'punished' for. Bit weird.

Not a fan of one on one matches with feuding tag teams, usually ending with roll up finishes.

The beat the clock not having anything at stake was odd too.

We're what, 4 years after Ronda first turned up. Guessing she'll never wear ring gear that she's not constantly adjusting.

And yes, not a fan of the switch up from the unified tag title match. Will any titles be on the line at the PLE?!

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No watched the show properly but from scanning the recap…despite a couple of women’s matches (Charlotte/Aaliyah being a no-contest), this show looks shit on paper! I’ll let BG watch proper and maybe he can find/detail something good about it. Oh Nak is back…oh wait got punked out again…thought that was gonna be good.

No wait….Butch has been found at last! That’s good!
    Last edited by Badger; May 7th, 2022 at 12:59 AM.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kid knows what he wants lol. Cody was a good sport there too.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ll let BG watch proper and maybe he can find/detail something good about it.
    That'll be later tonight, sadly.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They seem to be making Charlotte’s entrance worse with that gemstone AR. Even if they time out it better, it’s still going to look silly. The brawl had its moments but it certainly felt more enhanced by McAfee and Cole. I’m just glad we’ve reached the finish line (hopefully) for this feud. They clearly didn’t have any more material and had to sprinkle people in like Gulak and Aliyah. If you’re doing that, you’re close to creatively bankrupt for things.

Meteora for Sasha has been bastardized so much. It used to be a cool/big spot and now it’s an early transitional move lol. Really cool counter by Shayna to turn a hurricanrana into a side slam. Shayna really needs this time she gets for matches but on Raw because Jimmy Smith would really go that extra mile to get her over. Kind of torn on this tag title match being on SD rather than a pretty light PLE.

The jokes for Moss are pretty corny but they are pointed at a target nobody likes so they resonate a bit more. Getting Corbin to shut up and walk away does say something. That might not bode well for Moss Sunday though.

Step up in opponents for GUNTHER. More emphatic showing, as well. Curious to see where this is going for Gulak and how steady they stay with GUNTHER.

Pretty decent tables match between New Day & Sheamus/Holland. Great camera angle for Kingston’s splash onto Sheamus through the barricade. Running Trust Fall by Kingston was great too. Tables Match so safe to assume New Day was screwed at Backwoods wasn’t in play haha. The returning Butch was the equalizer and gave the heels the dub.

Been a while since we’ve seen Heyman and Kayla together. Missed that animosity. Stooge Zayn working on behalf of The Bloodline is just another great wrinkle to his character. Nakamura really doesn’t have the same juice for his entrance without the guitar. Takeover Dallas this was not between Zayn/Nakamura lol but was still very solid. A count-out victory works for Zayn but not so much for Nakamura.

Anther chapter in Lacey’s story and still compelling as a story. An eyebrow was raised as the ring announcer said Lacy requested the appropriate level of respect and to clap as she came out. Hell of a ploy is this was a ruse to have her regain her footing and get her heel heat back, but we’ll see what’s what soon. Regardless, she’s getting a push out of the gates.

Roughly two minutes left in the show before an actual confrontation is less than ideal. Did like the combo transitions between the faces and Reigns had a funny sell on the Claymore.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The greatest Smackdown in the history of this company, and Drew Gulak is on the card.

Opening promo really set the crowd on fire, the anticipation was electric.

Then, Nakamura's entrance kept up that excitement, and the crowd was fantastic for the Zayn/Nakamura match. The past several weeks of Sami's countout storytelling made this even sweeter.

Corbin is doing better on the mic of late - he played the disrespectful heel role as well as he's done it. Trashing the ARMBAR statue was eventually gonna happen to get heat, and doing it in front of a great crowd made it really hit home. This is how to get people to care about wanting to see the Big Bald Wolf get his comeuppance, instead of making us want to hit fast forward.

Gunther squashing Gulak was nothing new, but Ricochet appearing worked, especially how Walter simply walked away wanting no part of Ricochet.

Anyone else suspect New Day's partner for the 6 man tag next week against Sheamus/Butch/Holland will be Drew McIntyre?

Cole's announcement that Sasha/Naomi are suspended indefinitely was delivered well, and in the right spot as folks were tuning back in for the main event. Ironic that they will have a tourney to determine the new women's Tag Titles, when giving the ladies tag titles some time/respect is exactly what Sasha was complaining about.

Main event delivered as expected. These guys are all awesome. Congrats to the Uso's, even if Roman had to assist. I really loved the camera work showing the disappointment in the young children, the parents covering the cursing going on by the crowd.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just read LA Knight was on and is doing the male model agency gimmick. Max Dupri is a good name. Now get MACE THE FACE in there and Manny and LETS GO.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I kinda feel bad for Naomi but glad Wah Wah Banks got suspended.

you either die a hero... Morrison's Avatar
    or live long enough to see yourself become a dumdum.
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    lol

Football manager? Peter Griffin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wah you glad?

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why did Sasha and naomi walk out?

Football manager? Peter Griffin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Quote Originally Posted by Fro View Post
    Why did Sasha and naomi walk out?
    To cross the road.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nakamura and Zayn are able to really churn out solid matches that really don’t have satisfying or worthwhile finishes. At least the first time we saw them square off back in NXT was a classic haha. I imagine there’s another match here on the horizon for them and Nakamura comes out ahead so he gets a transition setup with the rest of The Bloodline.

We’re going to see how much effort they’re putting into Moss here over the next few weeks. Corbin is going to do what he does (draw the heat) but will the audience want to see Corbin get his or do they want Moss to get Corbin. There’s a big difference between the two as one serves Corbin and the other helps Moss. I imagine Moss needs to be away for another two weeks to sell the injury and then allow for a return with a new gimmick and presentation. McAfee got his shtick in by calling Corbin a chompion of scumbaggery lol. Good one.

Would be curious to see if the IC title gets more attention with GUNTHER as the champion. They gave Ricochet a quasi push but hasn’t really tackled a murder’s row of challengers since. Wouldn’t be mad at a tag match either, with the four parties currently involved in the story.

Breezango missed their calling with Max Dupri. He’ll clearly work with Mace (under his new gimmick), but I’m not sure who else he could potentially add. McAfee and Dupri could have a heck of a verbal interaction if it ever happens lol.

Raquel’s character seems to be centered on being big and nice. That’s an interesting combo. Be that as it may, she’s looking like a fit on the main roster. I imagine the character will come around in due time. As for Shotzi, she feels like she’s in a position to be productive as her promo work seems to fit the attitude she has now but she feels like she’s going to be either fodder or lost in the shuffle. Other issue is her style in the ring has definitely been neutered, so that doesn’t bode well for her. Haha, guess Fox doesn’t like the name of Raquel’s finisher. Whoops. I guess she’ll face Rhonda again at the PLE?

“The backwoods has gotten the best of plenty a man.” Lol. Woods seems to be higher on the New Day pecking order, it seems. No real problem with that. Seems like Drew Day is coming to hopefully wrap this up. It’s wild we are approaching June and this program with New Day and the Brawling Brutes is still going.

Really wild that they’re doubling down and throwing Sasha and Naomi’s name in the mud. Doubt many caught it, but they also replaced Sasha in the Then, Now, Forever video. They took her out and put Cody in there. Absolutely no way in hell there’s more than four teams for this tournament and two of them are going to be makeshift teams lol. I presume it’ll be Natalya/Shayna, Doudrop/Nikki…. …. Xia/Aliyah (with the former turning on the latter), and TBD lol. We’ll see how this goes.

Moderately surprised we actually got a finish here for the Unification Match. The Bloodline helped set the stage and amp things up. Reigns and Heyman gassed The Usos up, for sure. Pretty scary moment when Riddle went into the turnbuckle and wasn’t selling the punches, so the ref called for the X. Luckily it just appeared to be a bruised hip. This match needed a bit more time because there was plenty of solid work there to be expunged. After having The Usos save him many times, fitting to see Reigns return the favor at crunch time. Also worked to see Riddle be the one who got burned by Reigns at the end and then taking the beating after the match since he delivered the flash knee the week before. WWE tries way too hard to find crowd shots but they finally got good ones here as kids were crying, adults were pissed. I doubt RK-Bro gets the titles back but at the very least, Orton is going to get a crack at Reigns.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Call up Kayden and Katana and have them win the tourny/titles, please.

If Gunther vs. Ricochet is an actual match and not just a squash, it could be absolutely killer but I've very worried Gunther's just gonna flatten him and take them belt with ease.

Also @BGMaverick, Dupri also had Mansoor in his group in the dark match segments so maybe he'll join.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I forgot to write him in there in my edit, @mth. My bad.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    Pat's reaction to Cole's announcement about Sasha and Naomi was funny. Like, nah, they didn't let us down.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Pat's reaction to Cole's announcement about Sasha and Naomi was funny. Like, nah, they didn't let us down.
    Pat's look was more like damn this really happened??

Pat's only there on Friday and ppvs. I don't think he's sitting online believing the anti-WWE brass fans making up stories.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mth View Post
    Call up Kayden and Katana and have them win the tourny/titles, please.

If Gunther vs. Ricochet is an actual match and not just a squash, it could be absolutely killer but I've very worried Gunther's just gonna flatten him and take them belt with ease.

Also @BGMaverick, Dupri also had Mansoor in his group in the dark match segments so maybe he'll join.
    I mean, to speak on BG's comment what legit female tag-team other than IIconics and I guess Toxic Attraction to an extent have we even seen? Everyone else is thrown together for whatever reason and they go from there. Seems like that's more of WWE's bread and butter over the last 25 years when it comes to booking tag-teams. Male or female. Very few tag-teams have debuted in the last 25 years. Hardyz, Dudleyz, Headbangers, The Usos lol.....Every other team that I can think of off the top of my head were pretty much singles wrestlers that morphed into a team or a guy was a singles wrestler and then boom a new guy debuts and suddenly they're a team (Bodydonnas, New Rockers, Godwinns, La Resistance)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mean, to speak on BG's comment what legit female tag-team other than IIconics and I guess Toxic Attraction to an extent have we even seen? Everyone else is thrown together for whatever reason and they go from there. Seems like that's more of WWE's bread and butter over the last 25 years when it comes to booking tag-teams. Male or female. Very few tag-teams have debuted in the last 25 years. Hardyz, Dudleyz, Headbangers, The Usos lol.....Every other team that I can think of off the top of my head were pretty much singles wrestlers that morphed into a team or a guy was a singles wrestler and then boom a new guy debuts and suddenly they're a team (Bodydonnas, New Rockers, Godwinns, La Resistance)
    There's been loads of proper tag teams but they just rarely follow through with them. AOP, FTR, Viking Raiders, Street Prophets, Highlanders, American Alpha just a few of th le top of my head.

Don't think Vince is keen on having a big tag division though so he'd rather break them up and turn them singles quite quickly even if it means they just become jobbers.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chatty View Post
    There's been loads of proper tag teams but they just rarely follow through with them. AOP, FTR, Viking Raiders, Street Prophets, Highlanders, American Alpha just a few of th le top of my head.

Don't think Vince is keen on having a big tag division though so he'd rather break them up and turn them singles quite quickly even if it means they just become jobbers.
    I think when I was posting I was trying to think of debuts whether that was NXT or the main roster where legit teams came through but some of those you mentioned did fit with what I had in my head (Raiders for example were in ROH).

It would be interesting to see some type of breakdown of all the teams that Vince broke up and where each wrestler went after the fact. Did they get pushed, main event, or did they crash and burn for whatever reason?

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I think when I was posting
    You think when you post? Shots fired.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You think when you post? Shots fired.
    Eh, when it's warranted. lol

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Obviously don't know Bayley's injury status, but I was hoping to see a returning Bayley be jealous that Naomi was partnering with Sasha instead of her. Would have made things a bit interesting, I think.

It's a bit different as there are contracts signed, and no one knows what they say. But if I sign a contract I'm going to fulfill to the best of my abilities. If I'm not happy, the contract will run out and I wouldn't re-sign. But then you think, the WWE can just release anyone without warning, so they are failing to uphold their end of the contracts, so why shouldn't talent be able to do the same thing?

All talent are expendable, they'll just find two other women to fill the void. Aliyah, what's she doing?
    Last edited by Donald; May 23rd, 2022 at 2:42 PM.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Boy, this was a tag heavy show.

Nice working of the audience by The Usos. Dragged it out for effect a bit but it was still productive. The story of Riddle and Nakamura pairing up makes sense but it would’ve been more impactful if Nakamura wasn’t kind of just in limbo for a few weeks before crossing up with Zayn. Should be a good enough match on Monday.

Seems like Shotzi used that time where she wasn’t doing anything to really develop her voice for promos. It comes across really well. As long as they keep her usage rate high, she should be a nice asset for secondary women’s feuds, starting with Aliyah. One benefactor of the mess with Sasha and Naomi appears to be Raquel. She’s getting time right at the top with Ronda, getting herself over as a worker and threat in the ring. That’ll help her over the long haul. The impromptu tag match teased that interaction of Ronda and Shayna squaring off but it got cut off at the pass rather quickly lol. Mentioned it last week, Fox must not like Chingona, so it’s now the Tejana Bomb for Raquel lol.

Something really lost in the sauce: there was a really easy out that could have helped smooth the tension and kept everyone happy for Hell in a Cell. Instead of having place over feuds for the singles champs by using the tag champs that really doesn’t help anyone, why not just have a place over tag feud that helps get the tag champs over? Since this brand split is clearly a joke now, have Sasha and Naomi say they don’t have challengers and then Ronda and Bianca team up to challenge them. You get a good match, you utilize the same people you were going to use but you now put over the tag championships. I don’t see how that hurts Bianca and Ronda and you can use the meantime to build challengers for both, and Sasha/Naomi come out better on the other side.

Kofi tried pretty hard to get Megan to crack with the finger point as Woods was going on his tangent about the mystery partner.

Moss will be back next week, so let’s see if he actually has gotten a facelift.

So Sky-scraping Shanky is now a dancing enthusiast and probably a face. That may actually indirectly bode well for Moss. I doubt they want to crowd the show with goofballs so Shanky can inherit that role for the meantime. This will be McAfee’s new project too, as he’ll likely do what he can to help Shanky get over. Los Lotharios were fine, as usual. They got a win and the divide between Mahal and Shanky continues. A lot of this is likely meaningless but it actually made some sense (other than everyone suddenly wanting to woo Samantha). Shanky had a pretty good super kick. That surprised me.

Dupri in front of the live crowd is going to be something else. Nice comment by McAfee, saying he crossed paths with Dupri one night in LA.

Another sign this brand split is over: a random KO Show. Hilarious to tease it was with a member of The Bloodline, only to see it be Zayn. Hilarious that these two can just be placed together, the history is there, and they just roll with it. Easily two of the MVPs of WWE just vibing together and having fun. Owens just losing the moment and going for a hug as Zayn exclaimed he agreed that Ezekiel was a fraud was classic. These two are just so good, and they’re absolutely dynamic together. Zayn’s reaction to being named an honorary Uce by The Usos was nice. It may take a while, but this could be a means to turn Zayn.

Kaiser as lean as hell, geez. Seeing the tag here just made me sad that we couldn’t have Imperium proper. However, good for them to have a tag match like these but preserve the heavy dose of physicality between Ricochet and GUNTHER til when it actually matters. GUNTHER is going to slap Ricochet into the shadow realm.

Was obvious that McIntyre would be the mystery partner for New Day but it still worked. Not a lot of interactions between McIntyre and Butch but that would clearly be something I want to see more of. Playful segment with McIntyre and New Day to send the crowd home happy.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Funny innuendo and banter between Drew Day to start the show. They probably played it right with McIntyre being the instigator of it and New Day trying to ease up off it. Quite interesting to see how Butch really didn’t care that he was walking into an obviously crappy situation to just run into the ring, mid promo from Sheamus, to combat three guys. Butch is the most compelling part of the Brawling Brutes, but the fresh coat of paint hasn’t helped Holland or done much for Sheamus. The heels got their win back. Meh. McIntyre also challenged Reigns to a championship match at Clash at the Castle, prior to the six-man match.

Dupri close-talked Pearce and mentioned the first client for Maximum Male Models will be revealed next week.

The Shanky stuff sounds like someone misheard the directive. Top Gun is back in the news with the sequel, and someone probably wanted to call back to that but someone just mistook that for Flashdance and we magically now have Shanky dancing and being suggested by Mahal to stop doing that. Meanwhile, we got a match between Mahal and Carrillo, where the most important person was Shanky lol.

McAfee astutely pointing out that Shotzi locked a camera operator in the women’s locker room with Aliyah so quickly shows how sharp he is lol. The six-pack challenge was alright. Natalya ultimately won, being opportunistic, and is now the No. 1 contender and will challenge Ronda. This was not announced for Sunday, so this is likely blessing us as a TV feud. Nattie is going to likely be asked to carry things verbally for this. Hmm.

The tug of war between the brands for Lacey seems to be heating up. She didn’t get her in-ring debut Monday, Cole announced she’s returning next Friday on Smackdown. This company.

Moss returned with no suspenders and very generic music. His looked probably would’ve fit when he was on Raw Underground. Promo could’ve been a bit tighter but Moss wasn’t bad. Got a cheap match between Corbin and Moss that led to a DQ. Still remains to be seen whether or not the crowd wants to see Moss kick Corbin’s ass or is just happy to see Corbin get his ass kicked. Guess we’ll find out some more on Sunday. McAfee celebrating that this match meant Smackdown was on the HIAC card was humorous. He’s got a long leash.

Ricochet and GUNTHER square off next Friday for the championship.

Seems like they wanted to play off the ref X spot from the Unification Match with Riddle getting hurt. Didn’t seems as effective this time around. The spot with Jey Uso mocking Orton was a good one. Riddle’s work to power through the disadvantage seemed to work as the crowd was hanging pin attempts. Riddle got the Super RKO off again, mid shenanigans from the Honorary Uce, but the hidden tag doomed Riddle. He’ll want his revenge on Zayn, and I’m presuming he’ll get a crack at Reigns at Money in the Bank.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could also just be that they like their dancing big guys and somehow thought repeating the trick would somehow get him over. See Rikishi, Hip Hop Hippo, Brodus Clay, Khali etc

Also only one Smackdown match announced and the PPV is tomorrow. That’s just weird.
    Last edited by Badger; June 4th, 2022 at 12:33 PM.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Considering we got a match within six minutes, I’m kind of surprised. That’s really good by WWE standards. McIntyre/Sheamus has been beaten into the ground over the last 2-3 years but it certainly helps freshen things up by having them just beating the ever loving piss out of each other. Both of them digging deep and using the other’s moves was a nice touch too. Commentary was putting over the stakes of the briefcase and the physicality of the match, which helped create urgency for the match. Sheamus looked better here, Bitch was Butch, and no Holland due to injury. Hmm. The double DQ seems like a rare finish but that didn’t make this less satisfying because this was a good match.

Lacey’s promo in the back had some promise but then it fell apart at the end. “I may not be better than Xia Li, but she damn sure ain’t better than Lacey Evans.” Huh? McAfee tried to explain it but her delivery tried to be too clever where the point was lost. Interesting matchup here as you’re likely needing to push both ladies to an extent. Also, it’s been over a year since Lacey has had a televised match and she’s in there with someone still learning and evolving as a performer. The match wasn’t beautiful but it wasn’t dreadful. Lacey’s keeping the Women’s Right as her finisher, apparently. Either good selling or Xia got her bell rung with the finish because it looked like she needed assistance in the ring after the match and as Ronda was coming out to the ring.

Shotzi didn’t have much in terms of chops on the mic and yet she’s already developed into a strong/confident talker on the mic and we’re still waiting for Ronda to get there lol. The baddest woman on the planet needs a mouthpiece ASAP. It seems like Ronda is a fighting champ, which is good, but it’s also interesting that lots of ladies really seem comfortable stepping up to her. Shotzi got way more of this match than I anticipated but good for her, and she delivered in this match. With Lacey, Raquel, and Shotzi, Smackdown is getting notably healthy in the women’s division. Wild to think Natalya went from wrestling Cora Jade on 2.0 to facing the top star for the championship. Natalya put Ronda in a good sharpshooter, Ronda didn’t tap, but they’re pushing Ronda is severely injured now.

GUNTHER is running through names and themes at a really alarming rate lol. We really needed this match to go without a commercial and this one would’ve been a straight up banger. These two clicked and the match was really, really solid. There were some hope spots there where Ricochet might have had a chance to retain, but GUNTHER showed more than we’ve seen on Smackdown and had to impress those who were on the fence about him. He’s going to be a problem for the opposition for a while.

Nice to run the video from social of Cena from this week and his trip to the Netherlands to make a kid’s dream come true because Cena was inspired by their story of having to flee due to the war in Ukraine. Massive petition to change GOAT status to CENA status. This guy is the gift that WWE doesn’t deserve anymore but he continues to keep giving back.

Corbin vs Madcap in a Last Laugh Match next week, whatever that is. Max Dupri’s reveal for his client was pushed to next week.

It wasn’t as bad as Liv on Memorial Day, but Zayn had to be in the ring for 17 minutes before the match actually started. The match was pretty good. Zayn is just so good at character work and crafting that seamlessly inside a match. Heyman’s commentary and stoic responses were solid. The production work leaned into that a little too much but it helped add theatrics to the match. Great flash finish as Zayn went for the Helluva Kick but Riddle charged for the RKO and the win. Riddle now gets Reigns next week for the championship. They took it an extra step with The Usos trying to squash Riddle but he battled back with an emotional counter by beating the crap out of them with a kendo stick. Riddle has been heated up and this should be good, but I’d much rather see this at MITB instead of Smackdown. Guess they’ll try to pop a rating this way.

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good choice putting the title on Gunther. Ricochet is alright but until Reigns drops a title that's basically the top champion. I think he'll do well.

Bummer there was no Dupri segment. That guy can make many gimmicks work, not too fussed he didn't get to the main roster as LA Knight. I hope he gets a fair chance to be the hype man for whatever "male models" he's going to collect.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fart of a reign for Ricochet. i remember when he won the title folks (like me) were hyped that they were backing him again and he'd have some good title defenses and news was he was listed internally as the number two babyface on SD and...oh well. Big Gunth's gonna probably be a pretty boss champ on the plus side.

The main thing I was looking forward to this week was Max Dupri's client reveal and it's been delayed until next week..

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That Lacey Evans-Xia Li match...Did anybody but her kids give a shit about that match? I was watching it and nobody stood up not even after it was over. IDK. Lacey Evans needs a new finisher. Curious to see how generic All-American Lacey Evans gets over.

Quote Originally Posted by mth View Post
    Fart of a reign for Ricochet. i remember when he won the title folks (like me) were hyped that they were backing him again and he'd have some good title defenses and news was he was listed internally as the number two babyface on SD and...oh well. Big Gunth's gonna probably be a pretty boss champ on the plus side.

The main thing I was looking forward to this week was Max Dupri's client reveal and it's been delayed until next week..
    To be fair Ricochet was heavily featured just not on premium live events. I also think he was kind of defacto babyface #2 under Drew as I don't see anyone else as over. I think I might've gone above and beyond to maybe defend Ricochet being called the #2 babyface. I was watching this match, loving every minute it, and curious why they didn't have this at HIAC or even build it up even more to MITB. But then you have to remember tv ratings matter.

I heard a rumor that Cesaro is coming back and will be the next client debuting next week.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    So Roman is defending the title on TV, but not at the last PLE or the next one. Is this due to other commitments, I assume? Has anything been said about it?

In the UK version of last week's show, for some reason, we were shown a portion of a match where they were at commercial and the crowd could hear the commentary. The camera was focused on Cole and McAfee calling the action. Very strange. Like watching a radio show.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So Roman is defending the title on TV, but not at the last PLE or the next one. Is this due to other commitments, I assume? Has anything been said about it?

In the UK version of last week's show, for some reason, we were shown a portion of a match where they were at commercial and the crowd could hear the commentary. The camera was focused on Cole and McAfee calling the action. Very strange. Like watching a radio show.
    I think there’s been issues with the global broadcasting feed. On Raw this week, it started off in Chinese commentary (sounded Chinese anyway) for the first few minutes! Was like wtf are BT doing but went onto their forums and it was a problem at WWE’s end so might be a similar thing.
    Last edited by Badger; June 15th, 2022 at 6:15 AM.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    I think there’s been issues with the global broadcasting feed. On Raw this week, it started off in Chinese commentary (sounded Chinese anyway) for the first few minutes! Was like wtf are BT doing but went onto their forums and it was a problem at WWE’s end so might be a similar thing.
    Ah yeah, I noticed that.

I had Smackdown on last night too and there were audio issues there as well. I could hear another language in the background.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All I've heard about Roman is that his new deal was for even less dates. Per Meltzer he's only scheduled for one Raw this summer, the MSG Raw.

With Roman it's hard to tell. Here's a guy who's been battling cancer since he was 21-22, it came back and then boom, Covid. So I wonder if it's just a combination of maintaining his health, other ventures, and winding down his career so he's on that Lesnar type schedule.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems like a presumption that the downgrade from a stadium to an arena likely changed their outlook on using Reigns for MITB. As for why this match Friday is happening Friday rather than the PLE, probably trying to help pop a rating for Fox. He's presumably set to work Summerslam and the UK show.

Mentioned
    498 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So this is kind of a must-see episode of Smackdown.

I hope Hornswoggle is sitting behind Vince for his promo.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am home from work earlier than normal. i could watch SmackDown live. I was already hyped for Max Dupri's client reveal. Do i want to tune in for Vinnie mac's fucking wild appearance...?

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I haven't been this excited for Smackdown since the episode with Arnold Schwarzenegger

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well that was underwhelming.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Overwhelmed here.

too big to fail Tainted Eclipse's Avatar
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ussr
    well. they tricked me into watching this riddle/reigns match.

too big to fail Tainted Eclipse's Avatar
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ussr
    oh. never mind i guess.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great promo by Riddle though, I really want him to win after that but my guess he wins by DQ due to shenanigans so he technically can still challenge Reigns for the title.

Would fucking love it if they did something shocking so Reigns can go off and do his thing.