User Tag List

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: The Official Friday Night Smackdown Thread

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did Strowman get moved to Smackdown or just the whole BTB invitational nonsense?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone View Post
    Did Strowman get moved to Smackdown or just the whole BTB invitational nonsense?
    I fucked that up...my bad.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany
    ok so I havent watched wrestling in months. I did watch parts of the rumble (rumble matches) which was the first time I have watched since maybe last may-ish.

I've honestly just kind of got the run down from bg and now tyson who sum up everything nice and neat enough I dont feel the need to watch.

fast forward to today. The non stop hype roman has been getting final drew me in. I put on smackdown and I am sitting here thinking to myself how fucking mind blowing it is that reigns may get me back into watching at least smackdown. just unreal. dude is killing it.

I know people moan about the old timers but please.give me edge and Christian vs reigns and use at fastlane or something.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    I have a feeling we’ll see Christian coming to Edge’s defense during a Roman/Jey beat down sooner rather than later...

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
    -Edge was great as usual, as the HOFer he controlled the promo with Reigns and shared a moment backstage with Nakamura. He’s put over McIntyre/Dunne/Balor/Kross/Nakamura in the past week alone.
    And Priest

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by virms View Post
    ok so I havent watched wrestling in months. I did watch parts of the rumble (rumble matches) which was the first time I have watched since maybe last may-ish.

I've honestly just kind of got the run down from bg and now tyson who sum up everything nice and neat enough I dont feel the need to watch.

fast forward to today. The non stop hype roman has been getting final drew me in. I put on smackdown and I am sitting here thinking to myself how fucking mind blowing it is that reigns may get me back into watching at least smackdown. just unreal. dude is killing it.

I know people moan about the old timers but please.give me edge and Christian vs reigns and use at fastlane or something.
    Reigns is such a natural heel it's mind blowing that it took them this long to do it especially considering he was massively jeered for his whol face run which was like what 4/5 years.

He'll do this for a while and will then get over as a face because of how well he's working and when he turns they'll finally get what they always wanted. They could have done this years ago though and everyone would have been better off for it.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chatty View Post
    Reigns is such a natural heel it's mind blowing that it took them this long to do it especially considering he was massively jeered for his whol face run which was like what 4/5 years.

He'll do this for a while and will then get over as a face because of how well he's working and when he turns they'll finally get what they always wanted. They could have done this years ago though and everyone would have been better off for it.
    Bingo, bingo, bingo.

They were calling Roman the juggernaut and having him say things like sufferin' succotash... now he is the best heel in wrestling. WWE was right about him, they just couldn't wait for him to grow first.

Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This may be petty but that jacket seems like a tight fit for Seth!

Plus keeping kayfabe alive, he stabbed a guy’s eye out so shouldn’t be forgiven.

Plus where the hell is Murphy?

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another stellar opening segment for Reigns. I don't like the idea of some having to qualify for the EC while others don't, but I thought the two that got passes made sense.

It's like Smackdown saw NXT work entertaining tag matches over the last few weeks and decided to follow that blueprint.

It's the long play, but I really do hope they eventually plan on making the Mysterios a legit tag team and give them a title run. Zayn works well with just about anyone. He hasn't been Reigns level good but he's been superb since he came back. It was a pretty good tag match but I'm somewhat disappointed with the winners. The Mysterios could have been a nice wrinkle to the Chamber match. Goodness, Dominik was lucky on that suicide dive before the break. That looked scary, going too hot outside and going right into the edge of the table.

Good on E for being a face who knows what is going on. Crews has gotten plenty of chances as of late and lost every single one of them. He needed to go to the back of the line and there was a decent person to step up to the plate. It's a shame there was a dumb finish. I get why they did it, but they really didn't need to go with that silly route for the finish because it really didn't do any favors. Nakamura got that one-week run, with the gauntlet, and it really didn't amount to much. He's cutting great promos on social media but it has yet to be realized in full form on TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Plus where the hell is Murphy?
    He was there, ringside, during the Rollins segment. The Mysterios were out there too. You know...Rey had to keep an eye out for him...

They really hyped up the return of Rollins. Regardless of the motivation, it's probably a smart move to just drop the Messiah gimmick. It worked and served its purpose for that stretch of time but it probably didn't have much left in terms of momentum. Get rid of the religious undertones and still have him misguided and feel like he's the answer to everything. Works for me.

Sweet mother of everything, I hope Liv was hungry because she damn ate the guardrail. Sheesh. Another week where Bayley got to have a good match with another opponent. I'm curious to see where the story with The Riott Squad and Billie goes. The momentum as a tag team for them has kind of stalled with this but I'm thinking it's all going somewhere.

Much like the match prior, the Street Profits had a match just to be on TV but not a lot of storyline motivation behind it other than to be entertaining. I don't mind it if it actually keeps them on TV and builds up wins for a team that's actually going to get a title match.

Good on them for actually leaning into the fun with Nia and her hole. I thought it was a nice touch too when Nia and Shayna decided to strike, Nia did catch Bianca at first but Sasha (the veteran and the champ) was ready for Shayna. This segment was the first of two that ultimately didn't bode well for tag champions.

Main event was good. Probably not ideal to have the champs take an L but the right two guys are in the Chamber. Cesaro's sharpshooter is getting more menacing the more he does it. Owens coming out to stun everyone (minus Zayn) was fun to see. Not shocking anyone, I'd say Smackdown did a better job with the same amount of time given to prop up their competitors for their Chamber match.

There's two routes here for EC that seem the most likely to me. The first is just running it back with KO. The match would clearly be good but I think we've pretty much got a dry well there. The other option is Cesaro. If they are to be believed, reports indicated he was set to take the gauntlet momentum that Nakamura got but hadn't re-signed at the moment. If that's actually the case, Nakamura became collateral damage to an extent and they're continuing with the idea of Cesaro getting a push. The idea that the winner of the Chamber gets the title match that night helps mitigate any concerns creative might have with having Cesaro have to carry his end of a championship program over multiple weeks. Either that or Cesaro may get an opportunity at Fastlane. Either way, he seems like he's getting set up to get a title shot...which is awesome.

Two quick thoughts:
    - Goodness, I hope they're waiting until EC is done to bring Rhea to a show. Pick a show. Any show. Please.
    - With Sonya being a Co-Authority figure, you'd think she'd be pushing for a female Chamber match. Oh well.

Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am certainly not sad about the Murphy/Aaliyah angle being dropped but after a big singles win over Rollins he drops off the face of the earth? Corbin/Dominik/Mysterio going round in circles as well.

Minor things at the end of the day when compared to Raw.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They finally gave us a pay off to the angle with Seth and nothing comes of it. Murphy was primed for rekindling his feud with Roman before he disappeared. Maybe it sounds crazy, but I thought he'd be the perfect next opponent for the Tribal Chief.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Liv knows how to take a bump.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zayn looked a little too silly and insignificant for the opening segment but I enjoyed everything else. There's certainly magic there between Reigns and Edge. They're two guys in their respective grooves when it comes to promos and both of them approach the art of a promo in a unique way compared to most everyone else in WWE so that makes them dueling together quite captivating. I do like how Edge dropping breadcrumbs with the potential winners in the Chamber was a nice show-long story, too. Owens had a nice shirt.

Nakamura winning keeps him in the title mix, but I do like how Crews was booked for the most part. His story has been laid out well and something had to happen to avoid stagnancy. He's been losing way too much to E, though in competitive fashion and needed to move to the back of the line, so he had to do something to force the issue. I would say his beatdown was emphatic and the presentation of it all was solid. I am curious if the tease a few weeks back with him sitting in Reigns' locker room is something that's influencing him and it just hasn't been acknowledged yet. Basically, Reigns telling him that he can run in their crew if he gets the IC title. Motivation for Crews, potentially gets him some gold, and further adds to the stranglehold Reigns wants to have on Smackdown.

The stuff with Rollins feels disjointed right now. It just feels like a tweaked version of what Zayn is doing. The shtick comes across as Rollins believes that he's the top guy in WWE. He ultimately was that a while back but everyone turned on him along the way and he's trying to right that wrong. It's going to need a clear direct after EC, so we'll see what happens.

Keeping Billie's annoying comedy in the mix while adding hints of garnering sympathy is a nice touch but having it come at the expense of The Riott Squad might be a bit much lol. I'm not sure where it all goes but it does look like it's lacking promise.

The insinuation of Reginald crushing on Sasha really doesn't do anything for me. While I like the idea of multiple threats coming to take the titles from Nia and Shayna, having it happen via Reginald is meh. Don't get me wrong, he's entertaining but it's not really an interesting wrinkle to this specific story. Gotta give credit to Nia her character and promo work have been entertaining over the last couple of weeks across all three brands.

Considering the talent in the Mysterios/Gable and Otis match, that was a dud. Timing of it, execution, finish. Mandy starts talking to Bad Bunny and Otis goes off the deep end? I don't really see how Otis being a heel is going to click. I guess the gist is that while Gable has been coaching him up, he's also been manipulating him and planting the seed to turn.

The digs Bryan and Cesaro were taking at Owens' expense before the main event were funny. Nice nod to Jericho as well. The main event got a lot of time, which I was happy to see. Good match with lots of good work within the match. Fun twist, playing the banter of the faces prior to the match to ultimately see Owens not being tagged in. The timing did kind of hurt after the match with Graves teasing that Corbin was lurking but then they cut to a replay of the finish...then Corbin hit him haha. Finish spam to end the night (with unnecessary play-by-play from Cole lol). Edge's spear didn't look that good on Uso but he sold the one from Reigns rather well.
    Last edited by BGMaverick; February 20th, 2021 at 2:04 AM.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like how they had it to where Bryan called Reigns out for taking the match with Bryan right after the Chamber match. Really good way to call Reigns out by saying the head of the table shouldn't be in the second match of the night and should have been the main event. As usual, Reigns and Uso were really good in their roles. Uso magic tricking Bryan and saying "ta-da" was pretty good.

The segment after was the first misstep I've seen in the big picture outline with the championship in quite some time on Smackdown. Why would Edge be so upset with Bryan and what he was wanting to happen at Fastlane? It almost comes across that he's more focused on taking Reigns out rather than being at Mania. I don't hate that idea but it doesn't really make sense. Winning the Rumble meant he got to pick his champion and be in the main event of the biggest show of the year, so being mad that someone is getting a second shot before he gets his doesn't click.

I'm a fan of seeing The Mysterios as a tag team. Just a shame they're not getting a lot of time to work together in the actual matches. Still not buying Gable/Otis as a full-fledged heel duo yet.

Crews/E is like a discount Sheamus/McIntyre story but it's playing it out better so far on Smackdown because the heel is fresh and getting a chance to develop his character. The shift in attitude in Crews and it seeping into his work in the ring is a very nice touch. Good to see they sold the beatdown on E by having him off TV. That push for Nakamura surely feels fleeting now. Doesn't look like he's getting a crack at Reigns in the short term, and he might get phased out of the IC picture somewhat quickly.

Tamina beating Liv clean? Big yikes there.

Pretty blatant negligence not to even have Io Shirai on the graphic for options Bianca could assess when it came to her Mania opponent. She obviously wouldn't pick Io but what's all this talk of NXT being a legit third brand if you're not going to acknowledge them as such? I could probably use less Reginald in all of this (though he's quickly shooed away each time), but I like what they presented with Bianca and Sasha.

Corbin lost his running mates but he might be getting a new one in Zayn. That's an oddball pairing but it's two annoying heels that probably work well off each other. I don't think either of them have a lot of upward mobility on their own at the moment so a team could work. It certainly works in a Mania sense if SD opts to have a multi-team ladder match. REALLY liked the combo by The Street Profits to finish the match. Cool Chicken Wing Neckbreaker by Dawkins and then From the Heavens is always a crowdpleaser.

I'm not sure why Bryan would doubt a babyface in Edge but they openly put that out there. That was interesting.

I'm not sure if Rollins is spoofing the former President but he did a hell of a job to really help Cesaro out in their segment. Rollins propped him up as a stud but then broke him down with all of the shortcomings Cesaro has come across. Best. Swing. Ever. That was awesome. The velocity on the swings, Rollins screaming, and the jacket coming off. It's been forever and a damn day since Cesaro has had a PPV match and it's certainly looking like we're going to get one where he faces Rollins. I hope they can stretch it to Mania.

Fun main event. Bryan and Uso have faced each other multiple times but they're always fun matches and they find subtle ways to make each one of them different. I really didn't envision a double count out being the finish. That's certainly a divisive result but it easily kicks the can down the road next week to see what happens with the match at Fastlane. I guess the doubt Bryan showed towards Edge led to Edge not wanting to come out to even the odds. Not a huge fan of that.

They're certainly light on for the idea of a triple threat emerging at Mania. They could've teased Owens/Edge as a tag team and they're teasing Bryan/Edge and neither of them sound that compelling compared to the idea of Edge/Christian. While it's kind of murky and I didn't like some of the execution, I like the fact they have different options on the table for what can happen at Fastlane.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nobody should be losing to Tamina, especially Liv.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Quote Originally Posted by VHS View Post
    Nobody should be losing to Tamina, especially Liv.
    Correct.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
    Correct.
    Did you do a run down. I enjoy those.

Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crews showing more character/personality in one promo than he has in the past four years. 'Bout friggin' time.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Quote Originally Posted by virms View Post
    Did you do a run down. I enjoy those.
    I have not lately, no. Cheers for the positive feedback, will try to be more dedicated.

Quote Originally Posted by mth View Post
    Crews showing more character/personality in one promo than he has in the past four years. 'Bout friggin' time.
    Correct. This Crews heel turn is great, really hope they explain him hanging with Reigns that one episode a while back.

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apollo magically having an accent and going quasi-Black Panther.....I'll have to see how this pans out. He's definitely elevated his game ever since the Hurt Business feud. I think it'll be cool.

I'm digging heel Otis and I hope that his team with Gable amounts to something. SD doesn't have a terrible tag division but they still need to keep building some of these teams. Personally, I'm hoping we get Rey/Dom v. Dirty Dawgz for the titles at Mania with Rey and Dom going over.

Intercontinental Champion
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think the Dirty Dawgs deserve to have a match at Mania - even if it is spread across two nights. I am on board for a Rey/Dom title run.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3puppies View Post
    I don't think the Dirty Dawgs deserve to have a match at Mania - even if it is spread across two nights. I am on board for a Rey/Dom title run.
    Gun to my head I make it a fatal fourway with the 2 mentioned, throw in Street Prophits and Otis/Gable. Otis/Gable take the pin from Rey/Dom squashing their beef and you get the first ever father-son tag-team champions in probably 100 years.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It still looks like an easy way to get a multi-team tag match. There's at least 4-5 ones they can put in there for a match.

Intercontinental Champion
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be fair, I am less opposed to Dirty Dawgs being involved at Mania if they are part of a multi-team match than if they are part of a traditional tag match.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be fair, I am less opposed to Dirty Dawgs being involved at Mania if they are part of a multi-team match than if they are part of a traditional tag match.
    Them
    Street Profits
    Mysterios
    Gable/Otis
    Zayn/Corbin

Ladder Match

Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apollo gaining an accent is sorta like reverse Kofi. Kofi phased his out and Apollo suddenly gets one lol. Intriguing to see how the new character goes and hope he aligns with Heyman/Reigns soon.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Apollo gaining an accent is sorta like reverse Kofi. Kofi phased his out and Apollo suddenly gets one lol. Intriguing to see how the new character goes and hope he aligns with Heyman/Reigns soon.
    This was 2 months ago so I don't think they're going back to it. If they were, I would imagine Crews would have said something about the advice Roman gave him back then and that's what caused his change of attitude. But he's stated that his change is due to how Big E was looking down on him. Their feud honestly feels like someone pitched the Black Panther storyline between BP and Killmonger with Big E in the role of T'Challa.

Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    This was 2 months ago so I don't think they're going back to it. If they were, I would imagine Crews would have said something about the advice Roman gave him back then and that's what caused his change of attitude. But he's stated that his change is due to how Big E was looking down on him. Their feud honestly feels like someone pitched the Black Panther storyline between BP and Killmonger with Big E in the role of T'Challa.
    They also did a little thing with him and Heyman on Talking Smack which could have hinted at something. Maybe have them occasionally work together taking out common enemies at times if not a full-blown alliance.

Either way, curious to see where they go with him.