User Tag List

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Results 601 to 620 of 620

Thread: The Official Friday Night Smackdown Thread

  1. #601
    What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Dead Moines, IA
    Posts
    36,812
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    845943
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    This draft would be much better if they had someone picking draft picks instead of Stephanie just yelling out names. Ric Flair and Vince picking back in the day was awesome. Authority figures are a tired schtick I agree, but they could have come up with some creative way to pick the draft picks.
    That's what I was saying in the Draft thread. Stephanie out there makes it all feel less organic, that every pick was planned, like the New Day draft. You mean to tell me FOX and USA sat down beforehand and told each other who they were going to pick? If you're trying to suspend disbelief and portraying the draft as "random", what sense did that New Day pick make? Zero.

    But you know...Stephanie wasn't on camera for a month so she had to show us the goods.

  2. #602
    Another season... Tyson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Vancouver, BC.
    Posts
    4,440
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    239243
    “With the first pick in tonight’s draft, Daddy decides, er I mean RAW selects Drew McIntyre...”

  3. #603
    Main Eventer
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    8,368
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    370441
    Daniel Bryan returns tomorrow

  4. #604
    Another season... Tyson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Vancouver, BC.
    Posts
    4,440
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    239243
    How long do we have to put up with this Lars Sullivan bullshit? He is so fucking boring.

  5. #605
    Legend Badger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    59,805
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    882351
    I’ll watch for Bryan in the morning on the replay and the New Day’s last match.

    Probably about it and probably still better than Raw unless the BG review says otherwise.

  6. #606
    Main Eventer
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    6,793
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    38027
    Roman as a heel is his best work he is amazing right now

  7. #607
    World Champion Donald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    20,388
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    928530
    I was hoping for a five second championship match with strowman powerslamming roman in quick fashion much like lesnar vs kofi last year

  8. #608
    Main Eventer
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    8,368
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    370441
    I do like the fact that the opening segment was trying to establish that things were reseting in some ways based on the rotation of rosters. I don't know why Triple H needed to be there, as Stephanie was essentially the figurehead of the draft but alas, he was there. It seemed like the two objectives were to make thing fresh and present the new monster in Lars Sullivan.

    They're certainly not being bashful in terms of calling Sullivan a freak. He was set for a major push before he was exiled/injured and I guess the time away didn't change their course so they must really see him as special. Other than his frame, I'm not so sure what they see. He was pretty much given a showcase here with a somewhat convincing win over Hardy...so I guess we'll see what they cook up.

    Woo boy, the video package for Bianca was killer! The EST segments she had on Raw as of late felt corny with her presentation but this was modern, flashy and made her look like a star. Simple but utterly fantastic.

    Sometimes we can't have it both ways when it comes to critiquing the flimsy integrity of the brand split. They certainly made the segment with The New Day important and special, signifying their time together was done for now. The farewell was sincere and outright emotional, meaning you could tell that this moment hit them very hard. They've hit moments of being stale but they were an extremely bankable trio for WWE so I'm glad they were given the proper time to share their stories and feelings. Three of them came across brothers who uncomfortably had to say goodbye but would enjoy one last time together before that. Awesome segment.

    Hey, we got a temporary reunion of The Bar. That was fun. I do like how commentary made the effort to suggest Cesaro has been a constant thorn in the side of New Day. Last night together and New Day was busting out new moves. I just continue to marvel at how damn good Cesaro is in the ring. Doesn't matter the style, he always adapts. This match was just crazy-ass good, and I was remarkably pleased with how fun this match was. I do like the fact that they had E get the pin for the win. If he's staying, give him the spotlight with the pin in a fun match. The hugging from New Day at the end was a fine finale for an emotional and entertaining stretch of the show.

    Zayn and Otis working together is probably going to serve both well. Won't be massive, I presume, but it'll allow them to transition to whatever is next for both of them with this being a buffer.

    Obviously wasn't presented in full on the show but Brie tweeting a picture of the kids watching Bryan on Smackdown was cute. Man oh man, don't tease with the idea of a Rollins/Bryan feud to ultimately show more of the Murphy, Mysterios stuff. It's good to have Bryan back in the mix. I anticipate it will lead to fun TV matches for Bryan but I'm guessing it'll ultimately serve to put others over.

    Deflating debut for the Street Profits, but that was mainly due to the stupid booking of the match. As as I expected, Monday presented Ziggler and Roode as worthy foes for New Day, thus presenting an opportunity to take on the Street Profits. Smackdown doesn't have a lot in terms of outright obvious workable tag teams at the moment so this is probably going to last for a while until they sort that division out.

    Contract signing was pretty routine but Bayley and Sasha enhanced it. They overdelivered in terms of the banter that come from these because they're invested in telling the story. The wrinkle came in the form of Bayley not signing, so I'm guessing they feel they have something that will help entice her to sign or Sasha will forcibly make her sign.

    My only issue from the main event was the threat commentary kept trying to present that Smackdown was in a compromising situation where Strowman could leave the brand empty handed. No one believed that would be the case, but they kept alluding to it. Also felt outright underwhelming that Goldberg and Keith Lee were part of the Thunderdome and they barely acknowledged it. They've got to do a better job of framing/lighting that setup when they try to zoom in because it's gross when they try. Strowman and Reigns have extremely strong chemistry together so they manufactured a solid match here. Love how Reigns continues to turn the tide of a match with the low blow when he kicks out. Reigns using a submission for the finish was a nice wrinkle, too. That's necessary with the stip at HIAC.

    The bigger story, as it should have been, was what happened after the match. Reigns outright wrecking Strowman with the chair just further establishes him as someone you don't want to cross. He tried to bait Uso with the free shot with his back turned and Uso begrudgingly not taking that only to do it face-to-face showed that he's not as ruthless as Reigns but he's tired of being belittled. I didn't like how Reigns popped right back up for the Superman punch after two chair shots. I would have liked if he sold a bit longer then we get what we saw: him striking as Uso was held by officials to make it an utter cheap shot. That extra selling would have made it more impactful that Uso got to him. Oh well...these two are handling the story well.

    Relatively depleted women's division = no women's match on the show. Gotta fix that.
    Last edited by BGMaverick; October 17th, 2020 at 1:13 AM.

  9. #609
    Legend Badger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    59,805
    Mentioned
    132 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    882351
    Loved that Reigns did that low blow out the cover again and appears to now be part of his arsenal.. It’s foolproof lol.

  10. #610
    Another season... Tyson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Vancouver, BC.
    Posts
    4,440
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    239243
    The WWE universe: “Heel Roman Reigns is fucking awesome. What took the company so fucking long?”

    Vinnie Mac: “Who’s getting fired for not doing this earlier?”

    When Roman turned his back on Jey, dared him to take the shot with the steel chair, I thought “This is awesome”. When Jey punched then superkicked Roman, I marked the fuck out. For Jey Uso.

    We, as wrestling fans, have resigned ourselves to the fact that Roman is the next wrestler in the Hogan-Rock-Cena family tree; might be more beneficial to the business to use him to make other superstars rather than destroying them.

  11. #611
    Main Eventer Sasori's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Daniel Bryan's Dreams just kicked you in the balls!
    Posts
    9,781
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    204873
    Are they really going to have Sasha go 0-3 in the Cell? The feud is just getting started, so I understand not wanting to put the belt on her yet, but having her take another loss in there is pretty rough.

  12. #612
    big ol' meathorse mth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Sask., Sask.
    Posts
    59,042
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    643466
    To be fair, Mick Foley never won a single Hell in a Cell match.

  13. #613
    Main Eventer
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    8,368
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    370441
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasori View Post
    Are they really going to have Sasha go 0-3 in the Cell? The feud is just getting started, so I understand not wanting to put the belt on her yet, but having her take another loss in there is pretty rough.
    That doesn't seem like a major albatross at this point.

  14. #614
    World Champion
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    19,409
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    74076
    Uso/Reigns stuff was brilliant, no doubt they’ll tear the thunderdome down at HITC. What a feud it’s been.

    Feel like New Day needed a better sent and made a better deal of the send off. Understand though with everything going on.

  15. #615
    Another season... Tyson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Vancouver, BC.
    Posts
    4,440
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    239243
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Scott View Post
    Uso/Reigns stuff was brilliant, no doubt they’ll tear the thunderdome down at HITC. What a feud it’s been.

    Feel like New Day needed a better sent and made a better deal of the send off. Understand though with everything going on.
    Like I said previously, this feud has gotten me invested in Jey Uso, to the point where I want to see what he can do as a singles wrestler afterwards. Maybe add him to the IC title mix?

    How they proceed with Big E has got me especially curious. They split up one of their most successful, both in-ring and merchandise sales, tag teams of all time, so they obviously have a lot of belief in him as a singles star. Is it potentially “take the belt off Roman Reigns at WrestleMania” belief? New theme music? New ring attire?

    A great Wrestling Forum discussion would be New Day’s place in the pantheon of the all-time great tag teams: Harlem Heat, The Dudley Boyz, Edge and Christian, The Hardy Boyz, Demolition, Hart Foundation, New Age Outlaws, etc...

  16. #616
    What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Dead Moines, IA
    Posts
    36,812
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    845943
    No doubt New Day belong in that conversation as one of the best especially of the last 20 years, no doubt. Imagine if they were around in the peak eras of tag-team wrestling they would have been 100x bigger. For them to accomplish what they have in a promotion that does not give a fuck about tag-team wrestling is remarkable.

  17. #617
    World Champion
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    19,409
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    74076
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
    Like I said previously, this feud has gotten me invested in Jey Uso, to the point where I want to see what he can do as a singles wrestler afterwards. Maybe add him to the IC title mix?

    How they proceed with Big E has got me especially curious. They split up one of their most successful, both in-ring and merchandise sales, tag teams of all time, so they obviously have a lot of belief in him as a singles star. Is it potentially “take the belt off Roman Reigns at WrestleMania” belief? New theme music? New ring attire?

    A great Wrestling Forum discussion would be New Day’s place in the pantheon of the all-time great tag teams: Harlem Heat, The Dudley Boyz, Edge and Christian, The Hardy Boyz, Demolition, Hart Foundation, New Age Outlaws, etc...
    No doubt they deserve to be in there with those great tag teams.

    As for Big E I’m happy he’s getting a push and probably has too come away from New Day and the time is right now. I can’t see nothing other than him taking the belt from Reigns at next year’s Wrestlemania.

  18. #618
    What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Dead Moines, IA
    Posts
    36,812
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    845943
    If Big E's story is true that the next big main event push was either going to be for him or Roman 5-6 years ago, and they chose Roman, there could be a really good story to tell.

  19. #619
    Intercontinental Champion
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Nutmeg State
    Posts
    3,243
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    405947
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyson View Post

    A great Wrestling Forum discussion would be New Day’s place in the pantheon of the all-time great tag teams: Harlem Heat, The Dudley Boyz, Edge and Christian, The Hardy Boyz, Demolition, Hart Foundation, New Age Outlaws, etc...
    You left out the very best tag team of this generation. The best since Day One-ish. The New Day would not be nearly as well thought of if they didn't have the Uso's to work with. The New Day also has to be rated fairly because they had the benefit of having 50% more workers. It's like asking, were the Dudleyz 50% better when they had Spike with them? No disrespect to Spike, a talented guy who made the most of his gimmick, but Bubba Ray and Devon were great before, during, and after working with Spike. But I will agree that the New Day belongs in the discussion, as they are arguably leaders in one category - merch sold.

    I really liked the fact that the New Day were given a proper ending - without one member turning heel on the others. Since all good things end, I choose to look forward to their next chapters.

    Uso and Reigns are absolutely killing their story. I can't decide what feud I am enjoying more right now, them or Bayley/Sasha.

    Since New Day are coming to Raw, without much to work with, I'd like to see R-Truth, or maybe Erik, approach them to say that "I heard you have an opening for a new member of your group" Erik could audition, and try to do a Big E Split. R-Truth could shine by either not getting a chance to ask them if he keeps getting interrupted by someone chasing him for the 24/7 title, or by misunderstanding their answer, coming out to join their match - My Bad.

  20. #620
    What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Dead Moines, IA
    Posts
    36,812
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    845943
    Quote Originally Posted by 3puppies View Post
    You left out the very best tag team of this generation. The best since Day One-ish. The New Day would not be nearly as well thought of if they didn't have the Uso's to work with. The New Day also has to be rated fairly because they had the benefit of having 50% more workers. It's like asking, were the Dudleyz 50% better when they had Spike with them? No disrespect to Spike, a talented guy who made the most of his gimmick, but Bubba Ray and Devon were great before, during, and after working with Spike. But I will agree that the New Day belongs in the discussion, as they are arguably leaders in one category - merch sold.

    I really liked the fact that the New Day were given a proper ending - without one member turning heel on the others. Since all good things end, I choose to look forward to their next chapters.

    Uso and Reigns are absolutely killing their story. I can't decide what feud I am enjoying more right now, them or Bayley/Sasha.

    Since New Day are coming to Raw, without much to work with, I'd like to see R-Truth, or maybe Erik, approach them to say that "I heard you have an opening for a new member of your group" Erik could audition, and try to do a Big E Split. R-Truth could shine by either not getting a chance to ask them if he keeps getting interrupted by someone chasing him for the 24/7 title, or by misunderstanding their answer, coming out to join their match - My Bad.
    Do you remember when they did a storyline sort of like this where Titus was trying to be the 4th member? Hilarious. Titus might be a terrible wrestler but he can be pretty fuckin entertaining when it's the right moment. Sometimes he's not even intentionally funny like when he did the slip and slide routine and almost killed himself.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •