Thread: The 2020 Oscars

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The 2020 Oscars

Thoughts?

I was very happy that Phoenix and Pitt won. Honestly, those were the only 2 movies I gave a shit about winning.

I didn't even watch the show aside from catching Eminem's surprise performance. The dude sounded like he hadn't performed that song by himself ever, seemed very winded which is unheard of for Em but hey he's 47 now he has to show signs of being human lol.

But yeah, to those who watched it and were invested in the ceremony what did you think? Any robberies?

Funny thing is, my best friend and I were hanging out and while watching Eminem we joked that more than likely it'll be Parasite that wins Best Picture since it was the only movie neither of us had heard that were eligible.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was way too much Grammys than Oscars. I really don't know why there needed to be that many musical performances.

From a production standpoint, I don't think they know what they want to do because they waffled between a host or not having a host and have been that way for at least a year or two.

Phoenix had a nice speech but I don't think it really resonated as well as he would have hoped it would. If QT is set on having 10 films, definitely a lot of pressure to see if he actually gets a big nod/win with the final film.

Didn't see Parasite (yet) or The Irishman. Kind of surprised in some ways with how the latter literally came away empty handed.
    Last edited by BGMaverick; February 10th, 2020 at 1:59 PM.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BGMaverick View Post
    It was way too much Grammys than Oscars. I really don't know why there needed to be that many musical performances.

From a production standpoint, I don't think they know what they want to do because they waffled between a host or not having a host and have been that way for at least a year or two.

Phoenix had a nice speech but I don't think it really resonated as well as he would have hoped it would. If QT is set on having 10 films, definitely a lot of pressure to see if he actually gets a big nod/win with the final film.
    I think Tarantino not getting the big nod just adds to his cool factor. The crazy part is, and I know you weren't super high on his latest, but Once Upon A Time In Hollywood, imo, is in my top 5 of his movies so it sucks he didn't get the nod this year.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    I think Tarantino not getting the big nod just adds to his cool factor. The crazy part is, and I know you weren't super high on his latest, but Once Upon A Time In Hollywood, imo, is in my top 5 of his movies so it sucks he didn't get the nod this year.
    I think it will, yeah, but I'm sure part of him wants the opportunity to have the moment. I'll add commentary on that movie: I thought it had a lot of good parts in it but some of it just fell flat. Don't get me wrong, I was entertained. It just didn't click as well as I was hoping it would. DiCaprio's scene in the trailer (or even adding the scene prior where he flubbed his lines) was really damn good.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it will, yeah, but I'm sure part of him wants the opportunity to have the moment. I'll add commentary on that movie: I thought it had a lot of good parts in it but some of it just fell flat. Don't get me wrong, I was entertained. It just didn't click as well as I was hoping it would. DiCaprio's scene in the trailer (or even adding the scene prior where he flubbed his lines) was really damn good.
    I know he's WON best screenplay twice but I didn't realize he hadn't won Best Director. For some reason I thought he did for Django but that was for screenplay.
    Last edited by Nash Diesel; February 10th, 2020 at 2:12 PM.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know he's one best screenplay twice but I didn't realize he hadn't won Best Director. For some reason I thought he did for Django but that was for screenplay.
    That's why I said what I said
    I'm curious as to what he plans to do for the next one and if it'll actually be his last. Does that put more pressure on him or the Academy? In a lot of ways I thought this movie would be radically appealing for the Academy to give it to him. Not out of pity, obviously. But because of the time period, the setting, the roles, the acting itself, etc. etc.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I wonder if they'll ever make it about just movies or if they'll always incorporate music and dimwitted celebrities trying to make political statements.

Oscars are starting to be like the Grammy's for me, they show people and I'm like "Who is that?" It's a sign of getting old and I'm not happy about it.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    And way to leave Luke Perry and Sid Haig off the In Memoriam video you bunch of assholes.

- - - Updated - - -

Me: "Who's this Lin Manuel guy?"
    Wife: "Oh he did Hamilton"
    Me: "What's Hamilton?"

Oy vey.

- - - Updated - - -

Just put me out of my misery, please.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's why I said what I said
    I'm curious as to what he plans to do for the next one and if it'll actually be his last. Does that put more pressure on him or the Academy? In a lot of ways I thought this movie would be radically appealing for the Academy to give it to him. Not out of pity, obviously. But because of the time period, the setting, the roles, the acting itself, etc. etc.
    Yeah if there was going to be a movie that he'd get the nod I thought it'd be this one as well. He's not getting one out of pity imo, but I do think he'll make an attempt to make another classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I wonder if they'll ever make it about just movies or if they'll always incorporate music and dimwitted celebrities trying to make political statements.

Oscars are starting to be like the Grammy's for me, they show people and I'm like "Who is that?" It's a sign of getting old and I'm not happy about it.
    haha, naw man it's because most of the movies they acknowledge at the Oscars aren't seen by the masses. Young people have zero clue about most of these movies.

And way to leave Luke Perry and Sid Haig off the In Memoriam video you bunch of assholes.

- - - Updated - - -

Me: "Who's this Lin Manuel guy?"
    Wife: "Oh he did Hamilton"
    Me: "What's Hamilton?"

Oy vey.

- - - Updated - - -

Just put me out of my misery, please.
    haha. I noticed they left out some people and it's weird when they do that. In this day and age where all you have to do is google "Celebrity deaths in 2019", you shouldn't be missing people like Luke fucking Perry for Christ's sake.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

haha. I noticed they left out some people and it's weird when they do that. In this day and age where all you have to do is google "Celebrity deaths in 2019", you shouldn't be missing people like Luke fucking Perry for Christ's sake.
    Especially when he was in one of the movies nominated for Best Picture.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Especially when he was in one of the movies nominated for Best Picture.
    The reason behind it is that there is only so much time and also that sometimes they leave out people on the broadcast that were more known for tv than film. Which is odd when you really break it down, but apparently they had everyone who passed in 2019 on their website. (This is what the academy claimed)

Someone in the comments section on a FB page I follow forgot Kobe won an Oscar and got lit the fuck up when he tried to say some negative shit about Kobe being honored despite being a "rapist". Idiots.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    He may be a rapist, but as far as I know he was not convicted, and people weren't there to know what really happened so how do you know? Didn't he say she said it was consensual and then later said it wasn't or something? All these people who say MJ is guilty, man it's your opinion there's no facts unless you were there.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He may be a rapist, but as far as I know he was not convicted, and people weren't there to know what really happened so how do you know? Didn't he say she said it was consensual and then later said it wasn't or something? All these people who say MJ is guilty, man it's your opinion there's no facts unless you were there.
    Exactly. They can all fuck off. At least with R Kelly we have actual footage and not a bunch of clout chasers 20 years later coming out the woodwork because they're broke.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The reason behind it is that there is only so much time and also that sometimes they leave out people on the broadcast that were more known for tv than film. Which is odd when you really break it down, but apparently they had everyone who passed in 2019 on their website. (This is what the academy claimed)

Someone in the comments section on a FB page I follow forgot Kobe won an Oscar and got lit the fuck up when he tried to say some negative shit about Kobe being honored despite being a "rapist". Idiots.
    Is that person being blown up because it was in a setting where it's not the right place (i.e. the timing isn't right)? I would imagine he got lit up because bringing up Kobe and the mentioning of the sexual assault case now is seen in poor taste due to that the fact that it was still too fresh and sensitive in everyone's minds that Kobe suddenly left a community that loved him dearly and deeply. The fact that the case is a part of his life is something that shouldn't be ignored but there's a sense of decency that needs to be accounted for in situations. It's a very fine line to walk but it's doable.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is that person being blown up because it was in a setting where it's not the right place (i.e. the timing isn't right)? I would imagine he got lit up because bringing up Kobe and the mentioning of the sexual assault case now is seen in poor taste due to that the fact that it was still too fresh and sensitive in everyone's minds that Kobe suddenly left a community that loved him dearly and deeply. The fact that the case is a part of his life is something that shouldn't be ignored but there's a sense of decency that needs to be accounted for in situations. It's a very fine line to walk but it's doable.
    The fact is people will use ANYTHING negative to diminish someone of above average status. Honestly he would have been lit up no matter when it was but the fact that this asshole, like many others, are trying to make this slick comments is just poor taste. People literally only bring it up to take away from the other 99.9% positive things he's done in his life.

The real problem with people talking shit about Kobe is they're uneducated about the entire situation. They just think of the clickbait headline "Kobe accused of rape" He settled out of court so apparently that makes him guilty. Yet people find out after the fact this woman was trying to do the same thing to others.

It's like with the whole #MeToo movement. Guilty until proven innocent and even if you are proven innocent it's 2 months later on page 7 when you find out.

Like I said, people throw shade from an ignorant point of view and they do it even more when it's someone of Kobe Bryant's stature. Trust me, when Michael Jordan dies you'll have assholes going "Oh but he was a gambler!!" Who fuckin cares? It's all done to make these people seem like we're all on the same level, we're not, that's life.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I'd like to know people's thoughts about the lack of minorities in the acting fields, and lack of women in the directing field. For me, it shouldn't be about color of skin or your gender. The person who's done the best for the year should be nominated. Was Greta Gertwig a better director than Quentin Tarantino or Sam Mendes? I don't know. I don't know how you say if a director was good. Is it if the movie is good?

Now you could say, how come they hired Todd Phillips to direct Joker and not a female director or a black director? I don't know.

Maybe I can't have an opinion cause I'm white. Who knows?

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd like to know people's thoughts about the lack of minorities in the acting fields, and lack of women in the directing field. For me, it shouldn't be about color of skin or your gender. The person who's done the best for the year should be nominated. Was Greta Gertwig a better director than Quentin Tarantino or Sam Mendes? I don't know. I don't know how you say if a director was good. Is it if the movie is good?

Now you could say, how come they hired Todd Phillips to direct Joker and not a female director or a black director? I don't know.

Maybe I can't have an opinion cause I'm white. Who knows?
    Well in this day and age, you will be met with the last part more often than you'd like i.e. You're a WHITE MALE how dare you have an opinion!!!

There are some arguments that are valid. But I think that even Hollywood doesn't understand how Hollywood works so for any of us normal citizens to even begin to wrap our head around this topic....it doesn't matter what color or gender you are you're not going to be satisfied.

The problem some people have is they base everything on being acknowledged. Do people realize how many directors put out a movie in 2019 and then narrowing that down to the top 5? FUCK THAT JOB. That would suck. Or narrowing down what actors and actresses did the best out of a million that were in a movie.....

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pffft Kobe's rape allegations were YEARS ago.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Remember that Abraham Washington joke on RAW?

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just watched Parasite. Nice film, well made, looks beautiful. Cannot see how it is the first film not in the English language to win an Oscar. Really don’t get the effusive hype.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best part of the Oscars was Brie Larson. The show itself was trash. I’m sick and tired of all the whining over minorities not getting the nod for categories where the best performers were white dudes.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Honey_Badger View Post
    Best part of the Oscars was Brie Larson. The show itself was trash. I’m sick and tired of all the whining over minorities not getting the nod for categories where the best performers were white dudes.
    If you want to put on a sheet with me we can go protest

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ll pass, but I heard Nash D was down. :-)

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ll pass, but I heard Nash D was down. :-)
    If I put on the type of sheet he was talking about it'd be like Clayton Bigsby.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure whether the word naive or ignorant is best suited to reply to that post.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mozambique
    In terms of the musical performances, don't do that every year? Have live performances of the songs that are nominated?