User Tag List

Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 NFL Thread

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what does cam newton have to do with the patriots spying on the bengals tho

it just doesnt make sense. by that logic you could take a pick from any team with a comp pick in the same round and call it a wash

it would only be a wash if the patriots signed cam, but got busted for tampering with him and docked a third round pick, then got a 3rd round pick back for him leaving. that my friend would be a wash.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fro View Post
    what does cam newton have to do with the patriots spying on the bengals tho

it just doesnt make sense. by that logic you could take a pick from any team with a comp pick in the same round and call it a wash

it would only be a wash if the patriots signed cam, but got busted for tampering with him and docked a third round pick, then got a 3rd round pick back for him leaving. that my friend would be a wash.
    He doesn't have anything to do with the penalty they suffered right now, but he can negate the brunt of the impact of that penalty going forward.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BGMaverick View Post
    He doesn't have anything to do with the penalty they suffered right now, but he can negate the brunt of the impact of that penalty going forward.
    similarly, joe thuney leaving in free agency in 2021 will wash out the lost third round pick, in fact the patriots will end up with a gain of 1 third round pick if cam and joe both go, so the league is actually rewarding the patriots with 1 extra pick for spying on the bengals.... said some idiot probably.

i dont really care about the third round pick but I do care about how poor this logic is, that getting a comp pick for unrelated roster activity means the penalty is washed away.

i mean yes, these two things both happened today with the press revealing the news within hours of each other. I understand that coincidence links them in your head. I am just pointing out the stupidity of it.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    similarly, joe thuney leaving in free agency in 2021 will wash out the lost third round pick, in fact the patriots will end up with a gain of 1 third round pick if cam and joe both go, so the league is actually rewarding the patriots with 1 extra pick for spying on the bengals.... said some idiot probably.

i dont really care about the third round pick but I do care about how poor this logic is, that getting a comp pick for unrelated roster activity means the penalty is washed away.

i mean yes, these two things both happened today with the press revealing the news within hours of each other. I understand that coincidence links them in your head. I am just pointing out the stupidity of it.
    My main point was that the penalty is absurd and something that doesn't make a lot of sense. If the goal was to placate owners, I'm not exactly sure how this does the trick. If I'm speeding and I get a ticket and have another violation and get a slap on the wrist, what exactly is stopping me from feeling like I'm in danger if I have another violation? This is working backwards in terms of penalties. It just sounds like they're trying to tarnish the legacy of the key remaining pieces and that doesn't even get accomplished.

My other point was that what they're losing is easily going to get recouped so it's nothing to get hung up on...so again, a pretty pointless punishment.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    anyway

I don't know if cam will have a good enough year to get a contract worthy of a 3rd round comp pick. I certainly hope so, and I'm excited for the signing since we got him out of the bargain bin. We'll await the final numbers but from what I heard it will be low guarantees with incentives up to only $7 million. I'm all for it and it'll be fun seeing what Bill and Josh can draw up for him. He's very much the opposite of Brady so that should be intriguing to see if/how they pivot their offensive style. Will he beat out Stidham for the starting job? Probably yes but it's no guarantee.

$7.5 million for a 31 year old former MVP QB is a steal, in my eyes, assuming the reported contract turns out to be true.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Who ultimately comes out happiest in the de facto 4-team QB swap..?

T Brady --> Tampa Bay
    J Winston --> New Orleans
    T Bridgwater --> Carolina
    C Newton --> New England

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’d still say it’s Tampa.

RFF WORLDWIDE WESTERN CON son_of_foley's Avatar
    Letting the POTTY go to his head since Jan 2010
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love big Teddy Bridgewater

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Percussion View Post

T Brady --> Tampa Bay
    C Newton --> New England
    Pats

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

T Brady --> Tampa Bay
    C Newton --> New England
    That's hard to say. If the Bucs make a playoff run, adding Brady will have been invaluable and will benefit them for multiple years, putting them on the map again as a marquee franchise for a couple years. I have high hopes for what they will do.

Cam's a complete low risk high upside signing. Likely a one-year rental but he could be playing on a cap hit of only $1.5 million which is nuts for a starting QB of his caliber. His incentives to bring his salary up to $7.5 million will not count against the cap since they will be "not likely to be earned" because he didn't hit those thresholds last year when hurt. None of this is confirmed but if that's the case, I mean how can you be unhappy with that value. Even if he stinks and has a tantrum and they cut him, at worst it hurts Stidham's development a little bit. Upside is he returns to Pro Bowl form and leads the Patriots into a playoff run, in which case the Pats can be super happy about the swap.

Winston is a backup, barring a Brees injury that signing won't factor in much.

Bridgewater is a guy I don't have a lot of expectations for but he could surprise me. They have good skill players around him so he's set up in a good position. The comparison of his season versus Cam's seems like it will be brought up a lot considering how they let Cam go and he signed for peanuts.

TLDR: Bucs or Patriots.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    $1.1375 million is the expected cap hit for Cam Newton. Some guys with higher ones:

Dolphins Josh Rosen $2.17m
    Raiders Nathan Peterman $2.133m
    Eagles Nate Sudfeld $2m
    Bucs Ryan Griffin $1.645m
    Giants Cooper Rush $1.25m

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I look forward to seeing the details. This will be a monumental deal. If it’s tied to the cap as reported, it will be precedent setting beyond just the dollar figures.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mad contract that.

I bet Dak is fuming

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Per Schefter..

Compensation update: Patrick Mahomes’ 10-year extension is worth $450 million, sources tell ESPN.

The injury guarantee is $140 million, per source.

The contract does not contain language that ties its value to a percentage of the salary cap.

Richest deal in sports’ history.
    Great deal right now for Pat, perhaps a very great deal down the road for KC..

We knew he'd turn shit up in this deal, and it sure didn't disappoint.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Update from Schefty..

Final Patrick Mahomes’ deal:

10-year extension worth up to $503 million.

It includes $477 in guarantee mechanisms and the ability for Mahomes to have outs if guarantee mechanisms aren’t exercised.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watson gonna get paid. Jesus lol.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    I don't really think Pat's deal really affects DW's all that much. Both the uniqueness of the structure of the contract and the uniqueness of the player will keep Mahomes' contract standing apart.

Watson's definitely gonna paid though, no doubt. It just won't be in that stratosphere dollar-wise or in a similar setup contractually, I don't think.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems clear that this contract will be re-opened in a few years, as the year the guarantee kicks in there is an enormous hit for cap purposes. Mahomes will likely get an additional $50 million tacked on, so this contract will end up earning him a half-billion.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    The year what guarantee kicks in?

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I understand it, a big portion of the extension is guaranteed, but it doesn't become a cap hit until some of the incentives may or may not be reached. So once Mahomes reaches those incentives, there's a big cap hit, which means the Chiefs will want to re-do the contract. And since the contract may extend past the CBA and the league's network TV deals, they will be playing with a different set of numbers then.

The cap rules are complex, but its clear that clubs want to structure deals over long periods of time, and then revise them later, to give themselves more cap room.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the incentives are only for $2.5 million per year ($1.25 million for winning AFC Champ Game, $1.25 million for NFL MVP) so that won't make a huge impact on the cap hit. in 2027 his cap hit will reach $60 million so that seems like when they might want to restructure if he's still elite by then.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Quote Originally Posted by 3puppies View Post
    As I understand it, a big portion of the extension is guaranteed, but it doesn't become a cap hit until some of the incentives may or may not be reached. So once Mahomes reaches those incentives, there's a big cap hit, which means the Chiefs will want to re-do the contract. And since the contract may extend past the CBA and the league's network TV deals, they will be playing with a different set of numbers then.

The cap rules are complex, but its clear that clubs want to structure deals over long periods of time, and then revise them later, to give themselves more cap room.
    What?

It's only guaranteed from year to year (or two at a time early on). All which are yearly cap hits. And the only incentives are playoff or mvp bonuses.

Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    go bills

Donde esta la biblioteca Pablo Diablo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Washington's name change might actually happen.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it will definitely happen now due to the sponsors pulling out. And that's great. It is such an overtly racist name and should unquestionably be changed.

I don't have a strong take on what the replacement name should be. Of the two most discussed options so far, Washington Warriors and Washington Redtails both sound fine to me.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    I vote Redtails.

Dignified, historically significant, seemingly smooth transition imo..

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I heard they really wanted to maintain a name that begins with the letter R. But Washington Racists probably won't fly, nor will Rednecks. Washington Rejects probably describes them as well.

And @Percussion, I think I mis-heard how much of Mahomes' contract is guaranteed. I am certainly no expert on the cap rules, I merely know enough to be dangerous.

Folks have been complaining about their name for a long long time. I recall Chris Rock's first album pointing out "That's not nice" Like calling them the New York N-word, or Denver Dykes

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Washington needs a full overhaul with the name. I'd get rid of Washington and go with DC. If they're insisting on it starting with an R, Renegades probably works with either Washington or DC. They don't have a lot of time to make a sweeping change to their franchise, so good luck to them.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Washington needs a full overhaul with the name. I'd get rid of Washington and go with DC. If they're insisting on it starting with an R, Renegades probably works with either Washington or DC. They don't have a lot of time to make a sweeping change to their franchise, so good luck to them.
    I don’t hate DC Renegades in a vacuum but while the XFL didn’t last long and won’t be remembered, that is too soon and too much of a cross between Dallas Renegades and DC Defenders. I think they should stick with Washington because while yes they’ve sucked for a while and have a shit owner, they still have a really solid fanbase so the full overhaul seems too much to me. I still want to see WAS on the scoreboard.

Also the XFL could still come back (maybe?)

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don’t hate DC Renegades in a vacuum but while the XFL didn’t last long and won’t be remembered, that is too soon and too much of a cross between Dallas Renegades and DC Defenders. I think they should stick with Washington because while yes they’ve sucked for a while and have a shit owner, they still have a really solid fanbase so the full overhaul seems too much to me. I still want to see WAS on the scoreboard.
    I'm not married to anything in regards to them but I don't see the negative in really going with a full overhaul for the franchise. The odds of Snyder coming up with something stupid is relatively high. The easiest win out of all of this, other than the obvious action to eschew offensive names, is a poorly-run organization gets to easily boost their merchandise sales.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't change the color scheme either- it is classic! I think what you’re describing (full name change and style change) would be the type of stupid decision you’re wanting them to avoid.

Washington Wizards was lame although it has grown on me over the years once they changed their god awful original jerseys.
    Last edited by Fro; July 8th, 2020 at 11:37 PM.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quick question why now all the pressure on Washington to change names all of a sudden?

Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    because all the race stuff going on really amped up the change. snyder, the owner, has been getting shit for years about it. now things have hit a boiling point here in the states, so he is finally caving.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Makes sense but yeah should’ve been changed a long time a go.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Scott View Post
    Makes sense but yeah should’ve been changed a long time a go.
    Yup, which probably would have been easier in terms of rushing into that now before the season starts...and dealing with proper procedure during a pandemic and other things. But hey, stupid owners eventually have to be put into the crosshairs.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed.

Hearing Washington Warriors is not favourite.

- - - Updated - - -

Speaking of Washington, what the hell happened to Jordan Reed?

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed.

Hearing Washington Warriors is not favourite.

- - - Updated - - -

Speaking of Washington, what the hell happened to Jordan Reed?
    Concussions happened. Had one during the preseason last year and missed all season because of it. That was his seventh since he started playing in college. They released him in February.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    because all the race stuff going on really amped up the change. snyder, the owner, has been getting shit for years about it. now things have hit a boiling point here in the states, so he is finally caving.
    Snyder is facing pressure from the minority owners - they are concerned about their investment value in this environment. This season's revenue will be lower without spectators. When Fed-Ex talks about considering whether its worth it to remain an investor in the team, and continue to face backlash in this racially charged environment, there's real fear that the story would change from the games, to the protests outside a stadium with their name on it.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    Concussions happened. Had one during the preseason last year and missed all season because of it. That was his seventh since he started playing in college. They released him in February.
    Dam I didn’t know it was that many.

I’m guessing his career is over?

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    R-words reportedly will lose their team nickname tomorrow. Still no word on what the replacement name will be.

We haven’t become anything — we simply are as we are
    Mentioned
    331 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    usa
    Dam I didn’t know it was that many.

I’m guessing his career is over?
    Still only 30, so he has some time if he can stay healthy enough

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    R-words reportedly will lose their team nickname tomorrow. Still no word on what the replacement name will be.
    it seems unlikely that they will even announce the new name tomorrow

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it seems unlikely that they will even announce the new name tomorrow
    Wouldn't presume they would knock out two birds with one stone. That'd be an awfully quick turnaround. To get rid of it and already have a new one in the bag feels like giving them too much credit lol. Artificially, they have until the 28th so we'll see.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kdestiny View Post
    Still only 30, so he has some time if he can stay healthy enough
    Sounds like three teams might be interested in him. Why, I'm not exactly sure. Based on his history, the risk doesn't necessarily seem worth the reward.

Mentioned
    331 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    usa
    Sounds like three teams might be interested in him. Why, I'm not exactly sure. Based on his history, the risk doesn't necessarily seem worth the reward.
    Its definitely risky.

If healthy he could definitely be a top 5 TE

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its definitely risky.

If healthy he could definitely be a top 5 TE
    Definitely going nowhere near that projection, especially since he didn't play last season. Hope he's alright but it doesn't seem like a smart idea...but hey, Chicago signed Jimmy Graham and he's dust.

Mentioned
    331 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    usa
    Yes, I know Chicago made a bad decision.

Is what they are best at.

Could've paid several other better TEs for less

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I know Chicago made a bad decision.

Is what they are best at.

Could've paid several other better TEs for less
    Haha, didn't mean that to be a ricochet that you caught.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    This is one down ass fan..

One man holds multiple trademarks on potential Washington Redskins replacement names

McCauley first trademarked the Washington Pigskins in 2015, and while he has lost count himself, a search of the US Trademark and Patent Office website shows that he holds trademarks for names such as the Washington Monuments, Washington Redtails, Washington Veterans, Washington Red Wolves and Washington Warriors.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    fuck that trademark squatter. idk the rules and I don't care enough to google them but don't you have to use it or lose it, like you shouldn't be able to sit on it with no usage and no plans for usage. you should have to prove you have a business plan for it

but whatever if it just means dan snyder has to give him a payday, that's fine. I just hope they dont pick a dumb name because of it

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mozambique
    According to Jason LaCanfora and some others, the name change is the least of their worries. Apparently some type of groundbreaking story is breaking tomorrow that has nothing to do with the name change, and there are rumors it's an extension of the cheerleader scandal thing from like five years ago... Yikes.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    fuck that trademark squatter. idk the rules and I don't care enough to google them but don't you have to use it or lose it, like you shouldn't be able to sit on it with no usage and no plans for usage. you should have to prove you have a business plan for it

but whatever if it just means dan snyder has to give him a payday, that's fine. I just hope they dont pick a dumb name because of it
    Still mad that someone else trademarked FroCone, FroBall, Frosty the Froman, Fro Holds Barred, Fro Way Out and Braun Froman huh?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives

But he's literally the opposite of a squatter looking for a payday..

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But he's literally the opposite of a squatter looking for a payday..
    what is he then

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    what is he then
    A guy, pretty fanatically, trying to keep the name clear so his favorite team can just have it hassle free..?

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A guy, pretty fanatically, trying to keep the name clear so his favorite team can just have it hassle free..?
    well obviously i did not read the article now did I

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dak did not reach a longer-term deal, and will play on the Franchise Tag. Why am I not surprised?

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like dak not signing but just hope he doesn't get hurt. that's the risk obviously but the kirk cousins route is lucrative if you stay on your feet.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it's a calculated gamble. A: there's an out for a season with lower production given the COVID training camps and the lack of crowds possibly changing usual game momentum. B: 14 team playoff, so better chance at getting to the playoffs. C: if Zeke's production decreases, past big money RB's have been traded which would open up the salary cap. I think there's a higher probability of him getting at a minimum the same offer next year than otherwise. Basically if he doesn't get injured, as you said. But you back yourself if you've not missed a game in 4 years.

Derrick Henry signed for 4 years, weighted for 3 years really with only half guaranteed. Good deal on the Titans end, 5th highest paid but his production should carry a couple of years at the highest level, then there's an out after that if he starts to drop off. Important for the franchise to keep him though, he is the identity of this smash mouth team.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like dak not signing but just hope he doesn't get hurt. that's the risk obviously but the kirk cousins route is lucrative if you stay on your feet.
    Obviously a hit can come on any play you're in, but the fact they've got a pretty decent line (even with the departure of Frederick) does help his chances of avoiding an unnecessary sack.
    Last edited by BGMaverick; July 15th, 2020 at 8:58 PM.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Batter View Post
    Derrick Henry signed for 4 years, weighted for 3 years really with only half guaranteed. Good deal on the Titans end, 5th highest paid but his production should carry a couple of years at the highest level, then there's an out after that if he starts to drop off. Important for the franchise to keep him though, he is the identity of this smash mouth team.

agreed, I like the Henry signing for the Titans and I'm glad to see an RB get a bag from the team that drafted him

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wasn't super in on giving Henry a long term deal because running backs but this deal is at a good price and should let the Titans off the hook when his wheels fall off in a couple years.

I hope Dak goes crazy this year and puts Jerry in a real spot. Just for the drama of it all.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    whoa I can't believe Dan Snyder paid off NFL refs with underage girls he got from Jeffrey Epstein!

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^ possibly not the best taste of a joke but just poking fun at the crazy rumors that were going around today. I am about half way through the article. It is bad but not quite as shocking as the lead-up had me believe

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mozambique
    Yeah that's how I felt too. Which is kinda sad that (at least) 15 women being sexually assaulted by the leadership of a billion dollar franchise isn't shocking to us. But it's the harsh reality. I saw some people saying that there's language in the CBA or something that gives Goodell the power to force a vote among the owners, and a 3/4 majority vote would force Snyder out. But like, I have to assume at least 1/4 of the owners are doing shady shit too and wouldn't want to rock the boat. And that's assuming whichever tweeter tweeted that had their facts right on the language to begin with.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Goodell doesn't at the very least fine the team a half million or so, and take away a draft pick, then he's clearly playing favorites. He's hit the Patriots worse for lesser things.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mean, there's a relative template in place for Synder for how he should handle this (Mark Cuban). I doubt he's going to follow that, and that should make things worse for him.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Goodell doesn't at the very least fine the team a half million or so, and take away a draft pick, then he's clearly playing favorites. He's hit the Patriots worse for lesser things.
    While there's a clear distinction between the Patriots scandals involving competitive advantage allegations and this scandal which is about sexual harassment, I do find the immediate league response, public response and media response to be far more reserved on this, and that is troubling. I mean the Kraft handjob story seemingly elicited a much stronger immediate reaction/coverage. The league is saying it will defer to the investigation from the lawyers hired by Snyder. What? That sounds absurd that Snyder will be employing his own investigation in a scandal like this. And yes as a Patriots fan I can't help but contrast that against the deflategate investigation, or the bountygate investigation for that matter, where the league dictated everything.

My initial thought on a punishment here, and it will certainly evolve if new information comes to light and hopefully it will if Snyder's investigation isn't a complete sham... is that I'm not yet sold that Snyder should have to sell the team since he isn't directly implicated in sexual harassment, but the penalties need to be severe. I will just throw this out here as my suggestion:

• $5 million fine to be donated to women's charities
    • Loss of a 1st and 4th round pick. I know this isn't a football violation but I believe the penalties should include draft picks because fines don't hurt these billionaires very much and this should be a meaningful deterrent for other teams.
    • Anyone who committed harassment should be fired, which seemingly has already mostly happened.
    • Dan Snyder should be suspended for one year. He was in charge. He needs to be banned from being around the team for a year.
    • Mandatory implementation of workplace conduct training and revamping of the team's HR staff and protocol. They should have to become a tip top organization when it comes to this stuff, and this implementation should be handled by a third party company and then transitioned over to the Washington staff over the course of a year.

Surely other teams are guilty of this kind of stuff so the owners will likely not want to punish Washington too harshly, but that's bullshit. Punish them and let other teams know to clean up their acts or else. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. So far the response has been underwhelming.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if antonio brown never plays another game, is he a hall of famer?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    100 percent Hall of Famer. He was the best WR in the NFL for 4 solid years (4-1st team all pros, 1- 2nd team all pro).

He probably won't be first ballot HOF because of the way his career ended, but if his brains didn't get scrambled and would've played another 4-5 years like his body seems capable of doing, he almost certainly would've finished top 5 All Time (and possibly 2nd) in Receiving Yards and TDs.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Set to be official, if not already, but there won't be any preseason games this year.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mozambique
    I think AB will likely get there but I don't think it's a lock considering TO's struggles to get in and the logjam at WR that already exists despite the following guys still not hitting their eligibility yet (but hitting it before AB): Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, Steve Smith, and Reggie Wayne. And if AB gets locked out for a couple years similar to TO, you also have Larry Fitzgerald entering the fold too.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My guess is AB will suit up again in 2021 but given his retirement talk I think it's an interesting discussion topic. Let's assume he never plays again.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
    I think AB will likely get there but I don't think it's a lock considering TO's struggles to get in and the logjam at WR that already exists despite the following guys still not hitting their eligibility yet (but hitting it before AB): Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, Steve Smith, and Reggie Wayne. And if AB gets locked out for a couple years similar to TO, you also have Larry Fitzgerald entering the fold too.
    I agree. I think he likely gets in barring additional criminal offenses that could further sully his reputation (and with his questionable mental health, I hope it doesn't come to that). Like you said, I think he'll eventually get in but it won't be a quick entry. Calvin Johnson is a pretty great comparison in terms of dominance at the position and length of career. Their stats are fairly similar. The difference of course is Megatron retired of his own volition as a respected player whereas AB is currently "retiring" because no team will touch him b/c he's such a toxic asshole. That's not a good reason for a short-ish career.

AB is a HOF talent, no doubt. He was dominant in his time. I consider him near the borderline of the HOF due to lack of longevity but probably a yes for me.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Calvin Johnson is also a yes for me and slightly above AB in terms of hall of fame worthiness

Currently, Calvin Johnson is 31st all time in receiving yards and AB is 35th. Both lack longevity but were very dominant.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would have to say no to the Hall of Fame on AB at this point. Close, but simply too short a career. He was fortunate to have excelled at one of the top attention-grabbing positions so he gets more recognition than he deserves. And I think about the era he played in, when QBs and receivers are treated so much better than a generation ago, there's no wonder the stats at that position are so much better for guys in this era.

I don't think he is capable of getting his head together enough for another team to sign him next year.

The same argument pretty much applies to Calvin Johnson, but I seem to remember him more fondly. If it came down to one or the other, I'd say Calvin Johnson belongs there ahead of AB.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sure looks like the Jets owner, Woody Johnson, isn't just a dick as his name suggests. He's a racist, sexist jerk who probably won't be jumping at the chance to vote to censure Washington owner Dan Snyder. https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/22/polit...ort/index.html

I admit, I was kind of surprised that the CNN article did not address the issue of him following Trump's request to move the British Open to Trump's own golf course.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Washington Sentinels (or DC Sentinels) is the new rumored name. I don’t hate it but I definitely have a strong preference for Washington over DC.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haskins better watch his ass because Shane Falco be comin' round the corner if it's the Sentinels.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    I'm bias af whatever, but Andre Johnson is a HoF wr..

Give that dude decent competency at qb and offensive scheme and he's putting up silly numbers..

Injuries didn't do him any favors. But on the field, play after play, catch for catch, go get em, that dude was a legit nightmare for dbs all day..

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I'm bias af whatever, but Andre Johnson is a HoF wr..

Give that dude decent competency at qb and offensive scheme and he's putting up silly numbers..

Injuries didn't do him any favors. But on the field, play after play, catch for catch, go get em, that dude was a legit nightmare for dbs all day..
    Cortland Finnegan agrees about the nightmare part.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Washington Football Team

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like it

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have a problem with that as their temporary name. Should have switched Football and Team, so Washington Team of Football.

You get it...
    Last edited by BGMaverick; July 23rd, 2020 at 2:44 PM.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Jets agree to trade safety Jamal Adams to Seahawks in blockbuster deal involving multiple first-round picks

The Jets will receive safety Bradley McDougald, a 2021 first-round pick, a 2021 third-round pick and a 2022 first-round pick in exchange for Adams and a 2022 fourth-rounder
    Adams is fantastic.. but man that's quite a bit for a safety looking for a break-the-bank contract..
    Last edited by Percussion; July 25th, 2020 at 4:31 PM.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yea good return for the jets. whoever takes over for Adam Gase will have some good assets to work with

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jets agree to trade safety Jamal Adams to Seahawks in blockbuster deal involving multiple first-round picks

Adams is fantastic.. but man that's quite a bit for a safety looking for a break-the-bank contract..
    I guess the Seahawks are pretty close. But are they THAT close as to go all in like this? That's giving up a lot.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    It really is bro.

Taking on a soon to be massive contract for a non-big 4 position while simultaneously eliminating the next two years worth of reasonably priced high end young talent..

..with an imminent and rather drastic salary cap reduction on the horizon.

It feels like a legit win in 2020 season for the Seahawks.
    Last edited by Percussion; July 26th, 2020 at 4:26 PM.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really don't have a problem with going for it if you feel like you're right there. If you're there and you hesitate as a member of the front office, that resonates in the locker room. That doesn't mean it's all going to work (see the Rams) but if you feel like there's a moment to be had, you've got to strike. Hasn't Seattle kind of rebuilt on the fly over the last few seasons anyway? They'll just keep doing that and have the luxury to do that because Wilson is elite, even with the offense being stuck in the mud a lot. The cost is obvious, especially if you don't win. It's a gamble each way (paying up or standing pat), but I appreciate those who are willing to put the chips in the middle and live with the consequences.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey I love me some Russ. Wouldn't mind seeing them back in the SB.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good haul for the Jets, since Adams wasn't going to stay in NY, but he was one of a few bright spots for a team that will be heading nowhere for at least a few more years.

The Seahawks got themselves a heck of a player and it may be the piece they needed. I don't blame them for identifying a need, and paying for it. They would be second guessed no matter what. But I think that's a lot to play for a safety position, especially since they still have to sign Adams to an extension, and he ain't going to be cheap. So they've overpaid by whatever they've given away in draft picks for a non-QB position player.

I'm glad I took the under when the Jets predicted wins line opened at 6.5 in May. They won't be sniffing 7 wins this year with a defense missing their best player, and they're playing in the toughest division in the league. Buffalo and Miami are both getting better, and the Patriots always find a way to do their job and win. Must be tough to be a Jets fan this season.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trading a lot of draft picks for a player is a big gamble. Do the Rams regret making that trade for Ramsey? and that is for a more valued position. A lot of teams don't even like drafting safety with a first round pick. the Seahawks gave up two and don't even get the benefit of the rookie contract.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PurePlayer View Post
    Trading a lot of draft picks for a player is a big gamble. Do the Rams regret making that trade for Ramsey? and that is for a more valued position. A lot of teams don't even like drafting safety with a first round pick. the Seahawks gave up two and don't even get the benefit of the rookie contract.
    The Rams probably do, but that was the bed they had to lay in when they paid up for the QB and the RB. It feels like they didn't need to pay up so quickly for Goff and they certainly didn't think overtly in a smart fashion with Gurley. Donald? Yes, that's a dude you pay up for when they raise a stink. They made those decisions and they had to follow that path until they could start to change course, which seems to be this offseason.

It's definitely a risk on Seattle's side but I think it fits their style. Didn't they trade first for Percy Harvin and Jimmy Graham? They're an aggressive franchise. On top of that, I can't seem to think of no-brainer hits they've had in the draft over the last 3-4 seasons in the first round. I know they've received criticism for the picks so maybe they're just a team that isn't all that invested in waiting to develop their young talent. If they also see a team that's not so great themselves in drafting (the Jets), the odds of overwhelmingly coming off as you got fleeced would seem to go down. That's not a huge factor but it's still one nonetheless.

To me, it still circles back to window and value. If you feel like it's going to put you over the top or put you in the position to be there right at the end, the bold will pay the price. Smaller scale and different scenario but same mindset: San Francisco paid up a healthy sum for a FB. Juszczyk makes significant coin compared to the rest of the league at that position. They believe he's great and fits what they need so they'll pay the price.

Thinking back on Seattle's season, I think they had some Green Bay to them in the sense where their record comes off a lot better than they actually were. That could be an issue in this plan but it doesn't really matter if that was the perception or the reality to the outside world. They have their own belief and they're running with it. They'll likely need to thread the needle in order to make this come out smelling like roses but they're a team that's in a spot that can do that.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't understand why the Vikings aren't offering an extension to Dalvin Cook? Am I missing something?

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The trade will look worse for Seattle when the season is cancelled

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't understand why the Vikings aren't offering an extension to Dalvin Cook? Am I missing something?
    History reportedly suggests they take care of their extensions at the start of camp.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mozambique
    I think SEA was better than their record. They beat SF on the road and if not for coming up just a couple inches short on the final play of the game, they sweep SF and secure the #2 seed.

As for dalvin cook, he's asking to be paid just under 15/yr, which would put him behind only Cmac and Zeke. RB as a position is one known to have a short lifespan and RBs with durability concerns carry that much more risk. Cook has played 29 of a possible 48 games, having never played a 16-game season. I'm not saying he isn't deserving or that I agree, but I can certainly understand why they're weary of giving him a mega deal.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mozambique
    Another thing worth noting on the SEA trade, in addition to all the picks, is that NYJ also got a starting caliber safety in McDougald too. He isn't the perenial all-pro that Adams might be, but they got a replacement for the position lost AND all those picks. If SEA is confident, and NYJ knew he wasn't gonna be there long-term, everybody wins. If I had to bet though, I put money on the long-term win going to NYJ.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think SEA was better than their record. They beat SF on the road and if not for coming up just a couple inches short on the final play of the game, they sweep SF and secure the #2 seed.

As for dalvin cook, he's asking to be paid just under 15/yr, which would put him behind only Cmac and Zeke. RB as a position is one known to have a short lifespan and RBs with durability concerns carry that much more risk. Cook has played 29 of a possible 48 games, having never played a 16-game season. I'm not saying he isn't deserving or that I agree, but I can certainly understand why they're weary of giving him a mega deal.
    We'll probably have to agree to disagree on the Hawks lol. Seattle just looked problematic that last half of the season. They almost blew the game against the crappy Panthers. If they did that, they would've gone into the postseason with four straight losses. Another thing, which is a minuscule metric to look at, was the average point differential for the playoff teams was 99.75 over the course of the season. Seattle definitely weighted that average down as their point differential was 7.0. There's something to be said, for both sides, to say they won as many games as they did in a closely contested manner. They clearly can be right when the lights are bright, which is what they're buying into, but they can be very Jekyll and Hyde.

The biggest gripe for Cook, which is beyond concerning, is that stat you brought up about his durability. That doesn't work well for a position that takes a pounding like running back. I think he, or his people, said $16 million, settled on $15 but said he would "gladly" take $13. Dropping down to $13 million puts him right there with David Johnson and just slightly ahead of Henry. If I look at the three in that setting, I'm taking Cook more often than not. He's younger than Henry and significantly younger than DJ. I just think we hit the ceiling with Henry and he's either made of stone or is on the verge of breaking down after the workload he took last season. Cook delivers the goods when he plays and is a multi-faceted weapon. Minnesota has built their offense around his skill set so it does get very dicey in they believe they can skimp and rely on Mattison, Boone, and etc.

Another thing worth noting on the SEA trade, in addition to all the picks, is that NYJ also got a starting caliber safety in McDougald too. He isn't the perenial all-pro that Adams might be, but they got a replacement for the position lost AND all those picks. If SEA is confident, and NYJ knew he wasn't gonna be there long-term, everybody wins. If I had to bet though, I put money on the long-term win going to NYJ.
    But they're the Jets...

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    New England just this morning has lost starting RT Marcus Cannon and starting LB Dont'a Hightower to Covid 2020 opt-outs. Yikes.
    Last edited by Percussion; July 28th, 2020 at 9:04 AM.