User Tag List

Thread: WWE Smackdown Live 17/01/20

Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WWE Smackdown Live 17/01/20

Okay so maybe not live. Another late thread so ehhh discuss. Bill this is too much like hard work, please come back. Making milk cartons so you can be located lol.

Don't just stare at it... Bagel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Appreciate the effort to start a show thread though live show interest seems to have died down in general on here. Perhaps we can just keep discussion threads going for Raw and SDL instead of weekly episodic* show threads. I missed tonight's show and I'll have to catch up to it but I did get to skim through the results and it sounds like it was a pretty good show, so a good week for the main shows as I found the second half of RAW (only part I've seen) solid as well.

Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You mean like the NXT thread where all catch-all discussion just goes in the one thread each for Raw and SD?

Not that bad an idea actually. Only issue is romnumbers might dominate the Raw one lol. At least with weekly his shit gets pushed down by the following week.
    Last edited by Badger; January 18th, 2020 at 12:20 AM.

Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To stay on topic, Roman picked a Falls Count Anywhere match for his match with Corbin at the Rumble.

Hope to bloody God this is the blow-off!

Intercontinental Champion
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's good to see Kane, in small doses like this. His promo about the Rumble was well done, and I liked the continuity of the story with Wyatt - and of course, the medical update on Rambling Rabbit was inspired, with the carrot juice IV.

Bryan's interruption of the Fiend's interruption, and the mini-reunion of team Hell No, was great. The little things, like the bickering between them backstage before Bryan's interview where he challenged the Fiend to a strap match, remind us why Bryan is so much better than everyone else.

The Morrison v Big E result was expected as soon as the match was announced, but it was still a lot of fun, aside from the botched Starship Pain. I get that WWE feels they have to replaying a finshing move, and I give them credit for showing a different angle on the replay, but Morrison overshot him and it made the move look painless. And I don't think Kofi looks better as a blonde.

It is great to see the Uso's back in tag action, and their match with the Revival was fun. I liked the slow-mo reply of the no-look splash to finish. The Revival hinting at having to make a change - hope it means they get a better story

Lacey v Sasha didn't happen again, but we got a nice non-title match with Lacey beating Bayley. Was I the only one to rewind after the cover/pin, when Lacey realizes she almost grabbed Bayley's boob and she awkwardly lets go? The noteworthy part was that they acknowledged an authority figure, WWE Exec Adam Pearce, by name.

The Shorty/Sheamus segment, to me, suggests they will might get a match on the pre-show, but they later announced they get a 1-1 match at the Rumble. Perhaps its a breather match after the ladies Rumble.

Then the Strowman segment, followed by the Elias promo that was interrupted by Sami Zayn/Nakamura/CSRO, then restarted to lead to a brawl, only for Strowman to come out for the save. Makes me wonder how many times Strowman can come out on top without actually getting a title match? I guess Adam Pearce only watches the ladies.

Nice tribute to Rocky Johnson, and a great crowd reaction.

Mandy/Sonya v. Alexa Bliss, with Otis ringside, is finally giving us some personality for some of the ladies. As long as the ladies are going to be mid-card, they need to interact with others on the roster, to give us a reason to care about them. Finally.

And of course, the main event. Roman must pose. I fear they have Roman win the falls count anywhere match, but then have Corbin come back to win the Rumble.

Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think either Roman wins both FCA and Rumble or Corbin wins FCA but Roman wins Rumble.

Roman is winning at least one of those matches, no way Corbin wins the Rumble as hard as they like to push him especially with two current heel world champs.

No way Roman wins FCA and Corbin wins Rumble unless they really like to fuck with us.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Big E used to say, three ain't enough, I need five.

1. Good usage for Kane and a reunion for Team Hell No is always a crowd pleaser. The strap match situation doesn't necessarily make a lot of sense. In some ways, it creates an out because it's not like a damn strap is actually going to keep The Fiend from actually escaping if he actually wants to.

2. Morrison looked really great in the ring. That was a good dichotomy of styles in terms of the matchup with Big E. Starship Pain is 50/50 at best in terms of being hit accurately lol. Miz and Morrison appear to be at stages in their careers where they should really be able to maximize their opportunity on Smackdown right now. That division is getting stronger with depth in a hurry.

3. I'm intrigued to see what is next for The Revival.

4. They're being coy about the idea of Mandy and Sonya breaking up but it's certainly a possibility. I really don't know how Mandy as a face works but they really seem to be interested in trying bizarro-like alignment for the women. Speaking of the bizarro alignment, Lacey does seem to be clicking a little better with the live audiences as a face. She's certainly gotten better in the ring compared to six months ago.

5. Reigns/Corbin absolutely has to be done at the Rumble. The fact that this is going to be going on for the better part of two months is beyond excessive lol. I guess a non-title feud lasting that long is impressive, but this has definitely hit its expiration point. The overall job of keeping Roman busy and also getting positive reactions has worked. Time to move on to a new situation. Much like Bryan, another face picked a stipulation in his respective match that doesn't really make a lot of sense.

Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aren’t The Revival still negotiating their contracts? Until t
    it’s confirmed they’re staying, I’m not getting too excited.

Also sick to death of Reign/Corbin. Going two separate paths they could be really good face and heels respectively but this long-term feud is just boring as shit. Give them both something new pleeease!

Mandy I still think will fuck Otis (not in that way). I mean pretend to be friendly and then betray him. Sonya pairing up with Otis for revenge is still plausible though.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a very small part of me that thinks Cena could be The Fiend's opponent at Mania. It allows The Fiend to get one more revenge target in his sights, Cena gets his shot at the championship "record", it's played out on Smackdown (which Fox won't hate). I'm just not sure where that leaves someone like Reigns. Outside of potentially booking himself a match via social media, nothing else is standing out.
    Last edited by BGMaverick; January 18th, 2020 at 2:07 PM.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    You mean like the NXT thread where all catch-all discussion just goes in the one thread each for Raw and SD?

Not that bad an idea actually. Only issue is romnumbers might dominate the Raw one lol. At least with weekly his shit gets pushed down by the following week.
    Yeah kinda like the NXT and AEW threads was what I was thinking. With the limited participation per weekly threads nowadays just less chance some joker hunts down an October RAW thread and bumps it and the couple people watching think it's THE show thread. I do think you make a good point about one person flooding a thread with commentary, though.

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We could always enforce the old "no play by play" rule from way back...

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    scotland
    I'd like separate threads for each show. Why change something that isn't broken?

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mth View Post
    We could always enforce the old "no play by play" rule from way back...
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I'd like separate threads for each show. Why change something that isn't broken?

Both good points. I think I've gone into a few old show threads in the past thinking it was the current one but can see it being confusing to some for a continuing discussion thread and people still talking about an old show....

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No threads being made because no one gives a shit seems kind of broken to me...

World Champion
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    because nobody cares lol

i remember the days when these threads used to go like 30 pages deep. man has time changed.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    Defo go to one catch-all thread for each show

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    scotland
    Think they had more activity when Bill Casey spiced things up.

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PurePlayer View Post
    because nobody cares lol

i remember the days when these threads used to go like 30 pages deep. man has time changed.
    RAW threads used to break the forums and now they don't even get made. They have a-changed indeed.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think they had more activity when Bill Casey spiced things up.
    I'd say he contributed more than the collective for the actual thread for that episode. His efforts were great and are sorely missed, but he definitely deserves the break.

I'm for NXT template.

Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Overall, strong show this week. Enjoyed Kane/Fiend/bryan and I'm enjoying fire/desire/machinery more than i thought i might.

Bayley and Banks are strong heels, and Lacey's overcoming some of my initial skpeticism.

I am ambivalent about reigns/Corbin, but its not the worst for either.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    Caught a 30 second clip on the BT app. So Jo Mo has been gone for over 8 years and he comes back exactly the same? Iíve seen 30 seconds and heís already stale to me, character wise.

Iíll be fair though, Iíve not been watching. Are they doing anything different with him yet?

That said, Iím pleased heís back with Miz, as I think Miz needed a little change of direction from when I last tuned in.

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Caught a 30 second clip on the BT app. So Jo Mo has been gone for over 8 years and he comes back exactly the same? I’ve seen 30 seconds and he’s already stale to me, character wise.

I’ll be fair though, I’ve not been watching. Are they doing anything different with him yet?

That said, I’m pleased he’s back with Miz, as I think Miz needed a little change of direction from when I last tuned in.
    Yeah dude never evolved his promo skills for one.

He's only been on tv 3 times since returning. 1 was his subtle return in the Miz's dressing room, the next week was a spot on MizTV where he could barely finish a sentence without fucking it up. And then he had the match with Big E.

He's kind of like a Jeff Hardy. You don't really need to do anything different and when you do, it usually backfires. I definitely like the fact it's brought Miz back to the heel side and if they're going to be like a RVD-Sabu type tag-team where they do both singles AND tag work, I'd be down with that.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FWIW, the bar is low, but he sounded much better in a more fluid conversation at the commentary table the same week he had the promo with the Miz in the ring. That tells me scripted stuff isn't a strength of his. And there's not really anything wrong with him being the same in the ring.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    scotland
    To me it looked like he fucked up the Starship Pain, or Big E wasn't in the right position. But what do I know, I'm just an aardvark.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    For the record, I’ve always really, really enjoyed him in the ring. And he’s my wife’s favourite wrestler, so. She hasn’t watched since about 2011, so if he hasn’t changed, that’s probably a good thing for her.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To me it looked like he fucked up the Starship Pain, or Big E wasn't in the right position. But what do I know, I'm just an aardvark.
    It's a move that is always hit or miss. Probably should have come up with a different one but oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    For the record, I’ve always really, really enjoyed him in the ring. And he’s my wife’s favourite wrestler, so. She hasn’t watched since about 2011, so if he hasn’t changed, that’s probably a good thing for her.
    It's an interesting counterpoint to bring up a guy like Sheamus. The guy is pretty much the same and I don't think the enthusiasm is that high for him as opposed to Morrison. Of course there's a notable gap in time that changes the perspective but I'm not sure if that's enough to really negate the point that there's something amiss when two guys come back and essentially are the same and one is more enjoyable than the other lol.

I guess you could say there is a tweak in Morrison's case because he's enhancing another performer who desperately needed it but I'm not sure if that really messes with the perspective.

The Bar should just be a thing again but tag teams are an endangered species in some facets for the main roster. He should just mingle again with Cesaro and just join with whatever is happening with Zayn and Nakamura.