User Tag List

Thread: Wilfred’s Debate 2020 Discussion

Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wilfred’s Debate 2020 Discussion

Okay this is not official sign ups but just gauging interest to see if people would be up for it. Probably looking after Royal Rumble to start if there is still interest, will run it by @Mazer before I do anything proper.

Could even look to limit the 3 posts/72 hours limit to just 2 posts for the first round if needed and also looking for potential judges. @Jarrod1983 has expressed interest in judging but also if @Mikey_Jones gets first dibs in signing up if he’s interested wants to defend his title. Any ideas to make this better and run more smoothly would be welcomed. Also mod help with the thread stickying would be welcomed and appreciated.

At the moment just brainstorming. Any ideas/feedback to run this, please post them here.

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh I see, trying to get a jump on this before my 2020 debate sessions.

Just kidding

I don't think it would be a bad idea to have the first round be 2 posts/72 hours. If you can't get 2 posts in within 3 days, don't even bother signing up. People know their schedule and how often they can post. Shortening the first round in terms of posts might speed things up so we're not sitting here 6 months deep waiting on a rebuttal lol.

Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    Oh I see, trying to get a jump on this before my 2020 debate sessions.

Just kidding

I don't think it would be a bad idea to have the first round be 2 posts/72 hours. If you can't get 2 posts in within 3 days, don't even bother signing up. People know their schedule and how often they can post. Shortening the first round in terms of posts might speed things up so we're not sitting here 6 months deep waiting on a rebuttal lol.

That’s what I’m hoping for. Some people might say 2 posts might be too short for a debate but I think post/rebuttal each could still suffice for the first round at least taking into account people’s time. Would increase in later rounds.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post

That’s what I’m hoping for. Some people might say 2 posts might be too short for a debate but I think post/rebuttal each could still suffice for the first round at least taking into account people’s time. Would increase in later rounds.
    And maybe make the first round some "softball" questions where you're not having to go above and beyond to prove your point due to the multiple aspects of the argument. Sometimes a 3rd post can win, but it's no different than say UFC's Ultimate Fighter show where the first fights are usually just 2 round fights and then as it progresses it becomes 3 round fights.

Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And maybe make the first round some "softball" questions where you're not having to go above and beyond to prove your point due to the multiple aspects of the argument. Sometimes a 3rd post can win, but it's no different than say UFC's Ultimate Fighter show where the first fights are usually just 2 round fights and then as it progresses it becomes 3 round fights.
    Noted.

Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2 posts is an interesting thought. I still like the model where you have to win a forced choice and an open choice match in order to win the whole thing.

I've been unexpectedly slammed at work the last month, and have just started to get back to normal (really haven't been here much during December), so putting until after the Rumble seems good.

Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazer View Post
    2 posts is an interesting thought. I still like the model where you have to win a forced choice and an open choice match in order to win the whole thing.

I've been unexpectedly slammed at work the last month, and have just started to get back to normal (really haven't been here much during December), so putting until after the Rumble seems good.
    Mixing up forced choice/open choice ties is/was good.

All good man. Just getting the feelers out early and just started this thread for feedback. Let me know when your schedule gets lighter.

Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will do a William Regal wrestler/GM thing and also sign up if needed.

Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ll start sign-up thread in the next few days, will listen to more feedback/ideas in the mean time.

Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you win this year, and you send me your address, I will send you this trophy.

Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man, I wish I had that as a memento. I might buy one for myself to retroactively celebrate my wins.

Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you win this year, and you send me your address, I will send you this trophy.
    Yes we can send a trophy out every year and pass it around like Fanny was supposed to with the belt when he was POTTY...

Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will buy a new one for the winner each year (until I get bored). Cherish it forever.

Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will buy a new one for the winner each year (until I get bored). Cherish it forever.
    Even better.

Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Looks like I need to defend my crown then!

We haven’t become anything — we simply are as we are
    Mentioned
    331 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    usa
    Hello, I'm in

Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The hitters are already lining up for the coveted trophy.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll join when ND starts his debate tournament

Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He told me that he wasn't doing it anymore specifically because he didn't think you could carry the torch as champ. I don't know what to tell you; that's just they way those things go.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He told me that he wasn't doing it anymore specifically because he didn't think you could carry the torch as champ. I don't know what to tell you; that's just they way those things go.
    You have to be a champ in order to carry the torch. That's all I took from that.

Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BGMaverick View Post
    You have to be a champ in order to carry the torch. That's all I took from that.

All I'm saying is you can't win a trophy like that by playing Fiction Fight.

Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ll start the official sign-up thread tomorrow after I finish work unless Mazer wants to do the honours. Looking for about 16 people with 3 judges. I’ll step in to make numbers if needed but hoping we can get 16.

Everyone cool with the first round be 2 posts/72 hours?

Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just about to do the official sign-up/discussion thread now. Anyone that's signed up in here please confirm in the official thread.

Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anybody up for it again this year?

Badge and I have spoken, and I know he's down if someone else would like to take the reigns.

In the past, we've typically had people who won or placed give it a run. Could be a good time for someone who enjoys it to put their hands on the wheel.

I think I've run or co-run as much as anyone (done at least 6 times-and that's not counting tag teams, fiction fights, and others)....running can be a lot of fun. I'd love to see what ideas for topics someone else has. I have some thoughts on what has worked well in the past (mostly on where people -me- have screwed up topic selection), but each person brings a fresh take.

If two people are interested, I actually think co-running works well. Helps with coming up with the best topics, and replying to questions quickly etc.

Anyone going to be up for it?

Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Interesting.

Not sure about running the whole thing but will definitely judge again and could contribute on topics.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will no doubt sign up to debate.

Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anybody up for it again this year?

Badge and I have spoken, and I know he's down if someone else would like to take the reigns.

In the past, we've typically had people who won or placed give it a run. Could be a good time for someone who enjoys it to put their hands on the wheel.

I think I've run or co-run as much as anyone (done at least 6 times-and that's not counting tag teams, fiction fights, and others)....running can be a lot of fun. I'd love to see what ideas for topics someone else has. I have some thoughts on what has worked well in the past (mostly on where people -me- have screwed up topic selection), but each person brings a fresh take.

If two people are interested, I actually think co-running works well. Helps with coming up with the best topics, and replying to questions quickly etc.

Anyone going to be up for it?

I have enjoyed running it but with what’s gone on and is going on in my personal life over the past year or so I don’t think I could dedicate the same amount of time and effort as I used to running this tournament in the past. I have enjoyed my time as gamerunner but at this point I would prefer if someone else wants to take the reigns this year. I’d still contribute but in a lesser more backseat role like judging.

Football manager? Peter Griffin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    I'd be up for debating but me running it would be a disaster.

Mentioned
    444 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I'll run it, but I'll give up halfway through.

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm happy to help if needed? I'd prefer to judge but can help run if no one else steps up.

Simon
    Any idea what the topics are likely to be about? I'd be interested but there are gaps in my knowledge...I've got a basic understanding of the periods I've missed, maybe this would be an opportunity to get more heavily into them

Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BBF View Post
    I'm happy to help if needed? I'd prefer to judge but can help run if no one else steps up.
    Thanks, I’m sure we’ll take you up on judging and/or running. Mazer and I have done both.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Any idea what the topics are likely to be about? I'd be interested but there are gaps in my knowledge...I've got a basic understanding of the periods I've missed, maybe this would be an opportunity to get more heavily into them
    Essentially the first round questions are more current stuff and require shorter and less response (2 posts each). The questions get progressively more harder, open and old school as the round progresses. We’ve done themes for rounds. “Time machine” rounds with bringing back wrestlers from the past to see how they would fare now is a favourite theme.

Also all questions are WWE only. Used to do more feds in the past but trying to attract new blood, we’ve kept it to WWE only questions.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In case you're still wondering, like with Guns N Roses Chinese Documentary, we are still working on the evolution of Wilfred's. We had a couple setbacks, a few things wound up costing more than expected but I imagine sometime in 2024 we should have it going strong.

Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In case you're still wondering, like with Guns N Roses Chinese Documentary, we are still working on the evolution of Wilfred's. We had a couple setbacks, a few things wound up costing more than expected but I imagine sometime in 2024 we should have it going strong.
    Well it has evolved since the very first days of forum polls with Got Dave? and then later on PMBR then later main page polls! *shudders*

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well it has evolved since the very first days of forum polls with Got Dave? and then later on PMBR then later main page polls! *shudders*
    No I'm saying the NEXT evolution. Enhanced level, possible physical interaction I don't know the technology is so advanced that even I can't fully understand it.

Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No I'm saying the NEXT evolution. Enhanced level, possible physical interaction I don't know the technology is so advanced that even I can't fully understand it.
    Maybe we do Zoom or Skype debates lol

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL. That would be hilarious.

Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Usually we try to paint broad enough where you don't need to be an expert on all areas. All-time questions usually have multiple answers that could work. Some questions about different eras typically let you go big picture.

My personal rule is that if I can't think of 3 answers that I think I could win with, and don't require someone thinking of something very particular....it's a bad question

Usually I feel more comfortable if I can think of 4 or 5, unless my top 3 choices are really obvious.

Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BBF View Post
    Sometimes in the past, the previous gamerunners co-ran with someone stepping in and taking the baton.

I wouldn't be against co-running one more time, particularly as I think you'd be a great runner.

Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With my bald glare coming across the screen?

You'd all be fucked.

Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With my bald glare coming across the screen?

You'd all be fucked.
    True.

JP on gin on Zoom would probably give you a run for your money though.

Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True.

JP on gin on Zoom would probably give you a run for your money though.
    He'd be running for more gin, is what would happen.

Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He'd be running for more gin, is what would happen.
    Bald stare vs JP’s liver sounds like a feature Wilfred’s Zoom tie to me!

Simon
    Usually we try to paint broad enough where you don't need to be an expert on all areas. All-time questions usually have multiple answers that could work. Some questions about different eras typically let you go big picture.

My personal rule is that if I can't think of 3 answers that I think I could win with, and don't require someone thinking of something very particular....it's a bad question

Usually I feel more comfortable if I can think of 4 or 5, unless my top 3 choices are really obvious.
    Ah right that sounds good, well I would definitely be interested if there was a space!

Intercontinental Champion Jitters's Avatar
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I may enter this

Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by King Diamond View Post
    I may enter this
    Diamond you did pretty well last run, by all means do.

@Psycho666Soldier I noticed you having a wee look earlier. Would you be interested in helping administrate/judge/participate?

Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah right that sounds good, well I would definitely be interested if there was a space!
    There's always space, we try to at least work with everyone interested, and sometimes end up reaching out to folks to even the numbers.

Looking forward to having you in it. First big add of the new tourney.

Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok I will enter.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Diamond you did pretty well last run, by all means do.

@Psycho666Soldier I noticed you having a wee look earlier. Would you be interested in helping administrate/judge/participate?
    I'd definitely be happy to judge or participate. Judging would probably be easier for me, but I can participate if we need numbers.

Unfortunately, I definitely won't have the time to run this, and I feel like I would be awful at coming up with questions.

Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho666Soldier View Post
    I'd definitely be happy to judge or participate. Judging would probably be easier for me, but I can participate if we need numbers.

Unfortunately, I definitely won't have the time to run this, and I feel like I would be awful at coming up with questions.
    That’s fine. We could definitely use you in those other capacities.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We should actually make every one of Nash's debates "Is AEW the greatest promotion of all time? Yes or No." Coin flip determines he has to argue Yes every time.

Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho666Soldier View Post
    We should actually make every one of Nash's debates "Is AEW the greatest promotion of all time? Yes or No." Coin flip determines he has to argue Yes every time.
    Plus forcing Donald having to argue yes in “Is Tony Nese the ugliest wrestler ever?”
    Last edited by Badger; February 10th, 2021 at 6:49 PM.

Mentioned
    444 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Depends, are we talking face or abs?

Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Depends, are we talking face or abs?
    Abs of course. You have to give eight reasons as well.

Mentioned
    444 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I'd have to not post a reply and get eliminated that way

Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I'd have to not post a reply and get eliminated that way
    Either claim steroids or anyone who works that hard to get a good body is deeply insecure and say it eight times then you’re sorted.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany
    I'd be down for judging

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will say I think if we're keeping the forum vote, it should be kept to two judges and then the public vote as one cumulative vote. Removes the need for a tie-breaking vote from the gamerunners or anyone else.

Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m not sure where I stand on the public vote anymore.

On one hand, it’s always been a part of Wilfreds

On another, we used to have a lot more non participants who would still vote

I do kinda like the simplicity and consistency of just a 3 judge panel

Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can I have a question on the Spice Girls please.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m not sure where I stand on the public vote anymore.

On one hand, it’s always been a part of Wilfreds

On another, we used to have a lot more non participants who would still vote

I do kinda like the simplicity and consistency of just a 3 judge panel
    Yeah, when the public vote ends up being mostly other competitors, it sort of takes some of the impetus away. Not to mention the conflict of interest(though I don't doubt most of us have voted with the best of intentions).

I think if there's enough interest in a public vote, just do two judges. Otherwise, three judges alone would be great.

Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mayne a trial of public vote plus judges in the first round? If there's not many public votes in the first round then judges only in the later rounds.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello

We haven’t become anything — we simply are as we are
    Mentioned
    331 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    usa
    I'm in if I can win plz

Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But it's 2021?

Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just started the new thread

Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by King Diamond View Post
    Can I have a question on the Spice Girls please.

ooohhh....which Spice Girl would have been the best addition to the Divas division in 1996

Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm gonna say Mel C I just think Sporty Spice had them back flips and could do some great dropkicks too.

She had quite a feisty side to her and could defend herself if needed to be.

Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh wait 96 could have even been Ginger though I suppose Mel C would be this genre hmm got me thinking now, haha I'm actually thinking this through