0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Seriously best Ppv I've ever seen

Intercontinental Champion TooCool's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know how to describe that Unsanctioned match. The bumps are ridiculous and brutal and definitely made me think that when people grow up wanting to be a wrestler, this is not what they had in mind. Props to both dudes (and the ref). I was thoroughly entertained.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    MJF staying at Cody's side made zero sense. It was time for the turn to happen. I just didn't get having no real Babyface to stop Jericho.

you either die a hero... Morrison's Avatar
    or live long enough to see yourself become a dumdum.
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lotjx View Post
    MJF staying at Cody's side made zero sense. It was time for the turn to happen. I just didn't get having no real Babyface to stop Jericho.
    how does it make zero sense?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they can hold off for a few months, Moxley vs Jericho could be wild!

too big to fail Tainted Eclipse's Avatar
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ussr
    i feel like cody/jericho was one of the three best aew matches so far with cody/dustin and bucks vs. private party.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    Quote Originally Posted by Morrison View Post
    how does it make zero sense?
    MJF is a natural heel and Cody is their best Babyface. It just didn't really work. Now, MJF can be the best heel in a very bad guy centric company. They just need to actually make some faces that are not All Elite guys.

Football manager? Peter Griffin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Quote Originally Posted by Defrost View Post
    Now for the one sided blood feud where one guy wants to kill the other and the other guy is too busy making passive aggressive anime videos, leaking conspiracy theories about his old employer to Dave Meltzer, and looking up Joshi stats on Cagematch.
    salty.gif

Champ is Gone
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
    salty.gif
    Just being observant

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    Defrost is salty due to no one of interest being in NJPW now. Spoiler, Okada is not interesting.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ussr
    lance archer

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    KENTA, Shibata, Ishii, Takahashi, Ospreay, Shingo, Archer, Moxley, are all pretty interesting right now

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Morrison View Post
    yeah, they definitely could've milked this longer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tainted Eclipse View Post
    way too quick. the mjf/cody relationship wasn't established enough. mjf himself wasn't established enough.
    They certainly had more mileage in teasing a turn if they wanted to but I'm not really opposed to it, especially if they were set on sticking to their stipulation and Cody was going to lose. If he was going to lose, what exactly was going to be next on the docket for him that had more heat or potential than MJF? It's going to have a build, a good story, and it's going to present an opportunity to elevate MJF.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MJF is a natural heel and Cody is their best Babyface. It just didn't really work. Now, MJF can be the best heel in a very bad guy centric company. They just need to actually make some faces that are not All Elite guys.
    i think the actual reactions to their 'friendship' completely go against what you think. maybe you've been watching with the tv on mute again, but people loved when mjf would show up alongside cody. him cornering cody at all out, him appearing for the confrontation with the inner circle in the box suite. people were more than willing to buy it, despite knowing the heel turn was inevitable, because mjf was still entertaining and dickish, and cody was so over as a babyface.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Defrost is salty due to no one of interest being in NJPW now. Spoiler, Okada is not interesting.
    jesus christ you have some of the dumbest opinions i've ever encountered on here.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ussr
    i just think they haven't established mjf's heel persona on TV enough. the cool thing about their relationship was that even though mjf was a heel, he and cody were real best friends and it added a level of humanity to their relationship that makes the turn extra hot and personal. i don't think it's "too early" if you take the view from the very beginning of AEW, but it's too early if you just take the view of what's been presented since they've had weekly TV.

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i just think they haven't established mjf's heel persona on TV enough. the cool thing about their relationship was that even though mjf was a heel, he and cody were real best friends and it added a level of humanity to their relationship that makes the turn extra hot and personal. i don't think it's "too early" if you take the view from the very beginning of AEW, but it's too early if you just take the view of what's been presented since they've had weekly TV.
    yeah, a lot of the extracurricular segments and podcasts and interviews have fleshed it out very well, which is why i'm fine with it, but most people arent consuming all these other pieces of content, especially if they're just getting into it from the weekly tv.

having mjf throw in the towel to 'save cody,' and cody being pissed but eventually coming around to forgive and understand, showing he values loyalty, would've been nice. you're constantly getting vibes that mjf's intentions or desires are less than noble, but in the end always takes the friendship path, and cody's trust in him is reinforced. i think it would've been great to eventually work to an mjf/jericho title match, with cody supporting mjf, and mjf winning the title, and during the celebration is when mjf turns and kicks cody in the balls, completing his master plan of using cody to get to the top, and preventing cody from ever being able to challenge for and take away his world title out of revenge, but also because in his heart he knows he can't beat cody. then you start down the path of reversing the stipulation and the chase to mjf.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ussr
    i think it would have been good to do the turn in the war games match they'd been building to. do some angle where MJF is laid out back stage just before the match, implied it was the inner circle, so the elite is going into the match one man short. MJF runs in at the very end as if he's going to make the big comeback for them, but turns on cody and costs them the match.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    The problem is we all say the heel turn coming, so might as well do it now.

Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    main events lived up to their expectations, for me. undercard was okay. crowd was kinda shitty for some ending sequences in the beginning. which made some of them come off flat

Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem is we all say the heel turn coming, so might as well do it now.
    and everybody knew the people that got snapped by thanos in infinity war were gonna come back. doesnt mean the journey to getting to the inevitable cant be fun or worthwhile.

Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think it is a little early too. but, that's just because i enjoyed their friendship. i do look forward to cody trying to elevate mjf

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heel turn was perfect timing imo, I dont think your getting much more out if MJF as a tweener and AEW are desperate for some main event level heels so it was required really.

Youve got Jericho, Hager and Pac and then you had Cody, Moxley, Omega, Page and Dustin. They sinply dont have enough talent at the top of the card to drag it out at this point.

Cody v MJF is a feud that should last till the next PPV and thry need that to fill out the TV time without getting repetitive.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cody/Jericho is my favorite match of the year. I thought it was great action and they also told a wonderful story.

Omega/Moxley was too much for me. It was just a bunch of high spots.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The turn probably made sense from a timing perspective if you're looking at this pairing prior to TV but it likely seemed rushed if you're just looking from the start of TV.

I'm curious to see how they plan to (if they plan to) cycle new stories for everyone on this card. It's gotta shift now, for the most part, and new people have to come into focus.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    My son really wants to watch Mox/Omega. But at 7 years old, I think that may be bad parenting.

Perhaps I'll let him watch Cody/Jericho instead.

As to the show, I liked it overall. Preferred the first half to the second, I think. First 2 matches were really good. Cody and Jericho was good. Mox and Omega was a tad too much for me though. Didn't not enjoy it, exactly, but it was a tough watch. And pretty stupid, to be fair.

Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moxley/Omega was funny as in how ridiculous and cartoonish it got. Feckin mouse traps!

Cody/Jericho was definitely the best match on the card though IMO. I don't even know MJF that well but I could still see that heel turn coming.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Moxley/Omega was funny as in how ridiculous and cartoonish it got. Feckin mouse traps!
    So you're saying it's fine to show to my 7 year-old?

Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    So you're saying it's fine to show to my 7 year-old?
    Probably not!

It was almost like an Itchy and Scratchy cartoon though. In fact when the mouse traps came out, I couldn’t help but think of that scene where the French waiter fell into the rat traps!

Last edited by Badger; November 11th, 2019 at 9:26 AM.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    Ha.

To be fair, a bit of wrestling violence doesn't seem to bother my boy much, which is surprising, as he is a sensitive little soul. Maybe he just 'gets' wrestling, who knows.

When it comes to wrestling and my lad, I only really stay away from anything with bad language or anything from the Attitude Era with the women. I didn't let him watch that Orton/Hardy HIAC match where Randy got the screwdriver out.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Some people are overreacting to how violent Moxley/Omega was. Outside of the barbwire bat and broom, almost everything else looked gimmicked. It's pretty clever. They hooked everyone with the legit barbwire at the beginning so you buy everything else as just a brutal and real.

As far as letting a kid watch that match... that really depends on a variety of factors, I guess. Both wrestlers were presented as sadists in a way that was offputting and jarring.
    Last edited by Beer-Belly; November 11th, 2019 at 10:24 AM.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ussr
    for real. have some people never once seen CZW or big japan? for a "death match" it was tame.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    for real. have some people never once seen CZW or big japan? for a "death match" it was tame.
    I guess the difference is that CZW and Big Japan are for a specific type of fan familiar with that kind of match, while AEW are presented as more mainstream fare. Still, the shows are TV-14, so it's not like people haven't been warned.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    It was seeing it on a mainstream PPV, I'd say. Wonder what the folk at ITV made of it.

As much as I loved WWE getting edgier in 1997/98 and as much as I loved ECW, the proper death match shit never really appealed to me. I mean really, why should it? Pretty stupid shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Beer-Belly View Post
    As far as letting a kid watch that match... that really depends on a variety of factors, I guess. Both wrestlers were presented as sadists in a way that was offputting and jarring.
    Aye, fair point.

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only time I've ever steered my boys clear of anything in pro wrestling is when it's over the top sexual shit. I'm not going out of my way to show them a HLA match or the Edge-Lita Raw segment lol. Although maybe I should have as both of them are very high on Japanese death match promotions like Big Japan.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a good post-Dynamite interview(first episode) that really sets up the turn in the perfect way.

https://streamable.com/i92m7

From the OP:

Based on his comments here, MJF claimed that he was never going to challenge for the title while Cody was on the main event scene. And this perfectly set up his betrayal in the most opportune moment he'd ever get: eliminating Cody from the title scene forever. This would save him from going through a much longer process of screwing him later and having to deal with the repercussions. Now if he's ever in the title scene, he never has to worry about Cody coming after him because Cody can never fight for the title or in the #1 contender's bracket again.
    I can see the argument for it being too soon, but I think the crowd reaction and this explanation shows it was better now than never.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ussr
    moxley/omega should've been more like this

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ussr

Football manager? Peter Griffin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    It was seeing it on a mainstream PPV, I'd say. Wonder what the folk at ITV made of it.

As much as I loved WWE getting edgier in 1997/98 and as much as I loved ECW, the proper death match shit never really appealed to me. I mean really, why should it? Pretty stupid shit.

Aye, fair point.
    Fuck the folk at ITV.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
    Fuck the folk at ITV.

Oh yeah.