User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Top 10 Movie Series

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Must be why I don't see the appeal of sports, all I watched growing up was wrestling

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    Quote Originally Posted by _me View Post
    I don't know your age but did you see it as an adult or as a kid? If you were an adult, I totally get it. They are basically kids movies. Not surprising when adults who never watched it can't join in. But if you see it at the right age, it is an epic story that makes you dream about what is possible and you never forget it. Basically the same as sports fandom…
    I’d have been trying it for the first time at the age of 33.

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not saying this is Murphy but it could be that in comparison, the way Star Wars looks compared to Avengers could be a factor. My kids are 18 and younger, they always joke about how bad the graphics on the N64 look....Shit I was just playing GTA San Andreas and they were knocking the graphics and that games from PS2 era lol. They definitely shit on NES and Super NES, Sega Genesis.

Movies and music can be met with the same type of opinion. Outdated recording, outdated special effects, etc. If you're 33 and watching New Hope for the first time, could be a mixture of reasons. And these types of movies are definitely under a microscope due to how big of a franchise Star Wars is in comparison to say The Godfather or Rocky. You could be 73 and see Rocky for the first time and enjoy it. Star Wars, it's already up against the wall for being science fiction/fantasy/action. Those types of movies are always a struggle to get down with decades after the fact.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is the only acceptable answer. No other series has has continued cultural influence for 40 straight years
    I don’t think that you can argue that James Bond hasn’t had greater cultural significance for much longer. More people know who James Bond is more than any individual Star Wars character, he has influenced fashion, cars, attitudes and popular culture in a way that Star Wars has not. Every person wearing a suit that does not wear a suit everywhere in the world will get a ‘the names bond’. However, the films are broadly not as good or as successful as Star Wars, which is why (despite my personal preference being more The Godfather or LoTR) they rightfully won this poll. Don’t know why you’ve got obsessed with cultural significance when it really only is one factor in this particular poll.
    Last edited by Mik; December 2nd, 2019 at 7:20 PM.

too big to fail Tainted Eclipse's Avatar
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ussr
    I’m not sure it’s obvious that more people know who James Bond is than darth vader. Or yoda maybe? Would be an interesting study or something

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Probably equally recognizable, but to say that no other series has cultural significance is a bit baffling as you have James Bond, Star Trek as two great examples, and also the influence that Alien and the Terminator has had on film is there too.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    I don’t think that you can argue that James Bond hasn’t had greater cultural significance for much longer. More people know who James Bond is more than any individual Star Wars character, he has influenced fashion, cars, attitudes and popular culture in a way that Star Wars has not. Every person wearing a suit that does not wear a suit everywhere in the world will get a ‘the names bond’. However, the films are broadly not as good or as successful as Star Wars, which is why (despite my personal preference being more The Godfather or LoTR) they rightfully won this poll. Don’t know why you’ve got obsessed with cultural significance when it really only is one factor in this particular poll.
    Not the only factor; just the single most important one. Because that is the goal of movies. To resonate so much with their audience that people never forget them. The more people the better when judging this.

The reason why Star Wars beats Bond is because it is more universal. There was a spot for the loner, there was a spot for the sarcastic bragger, there was a spot for people who didn't feel like they fit in anywhere. And most importantly, there was a spot for a girl. A girl to be the hero and not just the sexual conquest. Something completely missing from Bond.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Star Wars has brought more joy to my life than any other form of entertainment. The movies, series, spin-offs, toys, merchandise, etc. The film made me fall in love with Harrison Ford. I had the biggest crush on Carrie Fishcer as a child, and still have her autographed VHS of The Empire. I met her at a mall when I was like 8... it was GREAT!

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too lazy to go back and read but did anyone that isn't from Western Europe that voted put Bond on their list?

I think where I'm a little lost is saying either has CONTINUED cultural influence. What are either of these franchises influencing these days over the other? Star Wars probably gets the nod here if we're saying the affect these movies have on the world and the messages they try to convey throughout.

I think these movies influence different aspects of culture.

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah some did from the US.

They are both very different and Star Wars has probably a bit more of a general appeal (especially for kids), but as I said previously, Bond is the original film series.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Romford Pele View Post
    Yeah some did from the US.

They are both very different and Star Wars has probably a bit more of a general appeal (especially for kids), but as I said previously, Bond is the original film series.
    I just wasn't sure if it was a cultural bias for Bond as I don't feel Bond is a WORLDWIDE phenomena like Star Wars, in comparison. Probably because Star Wars has the more recent movies, idk. Both are dope.

I'm still waiting to find out if we're getting Idris as Black Bond.

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well it is not to the same level as Star Wars commercially, but what is? James Bond is still a global box office hit though, popular pretty much everywhere. I just think the audience demographic is slightly different.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Romford Pele View Post
    Well it is not to the same level as Star Wars commercially, but what is? James Bond is still a global box office hit though, popular pretty much everywhere. I just think the audience demographic is slightly different.
    Very very true. On everything you said especially the audience demographic.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I'd like to see a Top 10 Harrison Ford movie list next.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I'd like to see a Top 10 Harrison Ford movie list next.
    Easy
    1-9: Empire Strikes Back
    10: Temple of Doom

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not the only factor; just the single most important one. Because that is the goal of movies. To resonate so much with their audience that people never forget them. The more people the better when judging this.

The reason why Star Wars beats Bond is because it is more universal. There was a spot for the loner, there was a spot for the sarcastic bragger, there was a spot for people who didn't feel like they fit in anywhere. And most importantly, there was a spot for a girl. A girl to be the hero and not just the sexual conquest. Something completely missing from Bond.
    Honestly all that of that is just criteria that you have invented. You’ve decided that cultural relevance is the most important things, you could argue box office, or awards marking critical and commercial success was more important than cultural relevance. Then you’ve decided that Star Wars has more cultural relevance than Bond based off your own interpretation of cultural relevance.

The loner, the sarcastic bragger, the people that don’t fit in anywhere...well then surely the breakfast club has the most cultural relevance by that metric? It’s got loads of the stereotypical character types. Bond’s boss was female for many films FYI and Leia was very much the subject of a love triangle and love interest throughout Star Wars...she was also dressed as a sex slave. The goals of movies might be to resonate with their audience, but not necessarily through cultural relevance, stop talking with absolute authority about things that are not as definitive as you’re making them out to be.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According this guy a woman can't be sexy AND a badass?

I think Star Wars in terms of cultural relevance globally has and will continue to be ahead of James Bond.

_me you just had to throw shade at Batman now this guy is going to post novels about you're wrong lol

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, Leia was a "sex slave" for like 3 minutes. For like 7 movies she's been the HBIC.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Jabba is the only thing I ever liked about star wars

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Jabba is the only thing I ever liked about star wars
    His tongue game was on point. Just ask that weird vanilla snake head dude he kicks it with.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    australia
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    I think Star Wars in terms of cultural relevance globally has and will continue to be ahead of James Bond.
    I agree. James Bond just really isn't all that relevant to kids. My eldest is 7 and I'd be highly surprised if any of her friends know who James Bond is. But they all know who Darth Vader, Luke, Princess Leia are - even if they haven't seen the films.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had Bond solidly at the top of the list, and Star Wars third, because of JarJar, and because the Toy Story Movies are all flawless for all ages.

I intentionally left the Marvel Universe off the list because I couldn't decide how to break them up, but I enjoyed them and don't have a problem with their inclusion.

I was surprised that the Harry Potter franchise did not fare so well.

I really wanted to include all of the Charlie Chan movies I grew up watching with my dad, but if I had to leave Star Trek off, I had to leave them off as well

My top ten were

James Bond
    Toy Story
    Star Wars
    Harry Potter
    Lord of the Rings
    Alien/Aliens/Alien 3
    The Dollars (A Fistful of Dollars/for a Few
    Dollars More/The Good, The Bad & The Ugly)
    Planet of the Apes
    Muppets
    Indiana Jones

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    I like Toy Story not love it. I also did not grow up with it. The plot all feels the same. Toy gets lost, other toys have to rescue said toy, toy or toys find some deep meaning and toys go back to oblivious child at the end.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    You could say all superhero movies have the same plot. Troubled person gets superpowers, villain tries to take over the city/world, superhero defeats villain.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't think of a single movie franchise that doesn't do almost the exact same "plot" in every movie. It's what people want to see. Nobody goes to see James Bond hoping it'll be a movie about him going to PTA meetings and learning how to make pumpkin pie.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Maybe not James Bond, but I'll pay to see Jason Voorhees learn how to make a pumpkin pie.

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, so I was thinking of some for next year, any preferences for below:-

Top 10 comedy films
    Top 10 comedy tv series
    Top 10 tv series
    Top 10 sports films
    Top 10 mafia films
    Top 10 biography films

Any other suggestions/additions?

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd down for most of those. How about Top 10 War films? Also, would it make sense to do a couple sports as their own Top 10 lists, like maybe Top 10 Baseball films, Top 10 (American) football films, etc?

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Top ten war films is a good shout, anymore for anymore?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Top ten animated films?

Top ten films under 100 minutes? Might be one that people actually have to research.

I think TV shows should be top 20 at least. The top 5 will be no surprise - especially given how many people here like the Sopranos, The Wire, Breaking Bad, etc - but a top 20 or 30 would at least give plenty to talk about of which shows made the list and which didn’t.
    Last edited by Chris; December 6th, 2019 at 1:55 PM.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Top 10 animated is a good one. Did we do a top 10 rom coms?

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I'd like to see Top 10 films of each decade.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I definitely could get down with top 10 war movies of all time. I mean there are probably more movies about war over the last 100+ years than most genres but they're also some of the absolute best movies ever. Top 10 animated films as Chris suggested is a great nod. I wouldn't even try to get too anal about it, because you know people will be like "Are we going to include movies together like Akira and Snow White?" And to that I would say YES.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Top ten animated films?

Top ten films under 100 minutes? Might be one that people actually have to research.

I think TV shows should be top 20 at least. The top 5 will be no surprise - especially given how many people here like the Sopranos, The Waite, Breaking Bad, etc - but a top 20 or 30 would at least give plenty to talk about of which shows made the list and which didn’t.
    Never even heard of this show. Any good?

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Top 10 Sequels? As standalone films, meaning don't take into account how good the first movie was, just how good the sequel is if that makes sense?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Top 10 sci-fi..

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    Never even heard of this show. Any good?
    That was meant to be The Wire.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    That was meant to be The Wire.
    haha yeah after I googled it and only an English Musician with the last name "WAITE" was popping up I thought you meant either The Wire or something else lol.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Top 10 Tom Waite Songs?