User Tag List

Results 1 to 82 of 82

Thread: The Ones Who Got Away

  1. #1
    Legend Badger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    54,482
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    411144

    The Ones Who Got Away

    Simple premise. This thread is about wrestlers who were touted to be big but due to circumstances went to other promotions to hone their craft but could have been big in WWE.

    An example to kick off, I could say more but don't want to steal too many examples. Kharma/Awesome Kong. She was on a fucking tear destroying every woman on the locker room until they had them all gang up on her. I understand her falling pregnant screwed things up but it's a great shame she didn't return but at least AEW have her now.

  2. #2
    World Champion Donald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    I don't really know.
    Posts
    17,393
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    474091
    scotland
    Rick Rude, I think he had potential to be the biggest heel star of all time for the WWE, but he left for WCW in 1990/1991. He was in the WWE for what, 2 or 3 years? Wish he had stuck around through the 90s. He probably hated feuding with the Warrior all the time. Who knows?

    Then you have the likes of Samoa Joe, AJ Styles, Daniel Bryan who tried out for the WWE in the early 2000s but weren't picked up. Imagine if we had 20 years of AJ Styles instead of 4 -5.

  3. #3
    Legend Badger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    54,482
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    411144
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Rick Rude, I think he had potential to be the biggest heel star of all time for the WWE, but he left for WCW in 1990/1991. He was in the WWE for what, 2 or 3 years? Wish he had stuck around through the 90s. He probably hated feuding with the Warrior all the time. Who knows?

    Then you have the likes of Samoa Joe, AJ Styles, Daniel Bryan who tried out for the WWE in the early 2000s but weren't picked up. Imagine if we had 20 years of AJ Styles instead of 4 -5.
    Nice spin on the topic. I agree those guys could have been even bigger now if they were successful and stayed longer.

  4. #4
    Once upon a time... kdestiny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Way Down Hadestown
    Posts
    17,564
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    151779
    usa
    I think the best current answer would be Kenny Omega.

    He has brought his stock up a lot and now seems to be happy enough not even being with WWE. Being one of the top wrestlers in the World right now doesn't hurt either.

  5. #5
    Legend Badger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    54,482
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    411144
    Quote Originally Posted by kdestiny View Post
    I think the best current answer would be Kenny Omega.

    He has brought his stock up a lot and now seems to be happy enough not even being with WWE. Being one of the top wrestlers in the World right now doesn't hurt either.
    Agreed 100%.

  6. #6
    Once upon a time... kdestiny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Way Down Hadestown
    Posts
    17,564
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    151779
    usa
    He would arguably have had Styles' run at the top and would've had an extra 5-6 years with him being younger than AJ

  7. #7
    Legend Badger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    54,482
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    411144
    Another one for food thought, Matt Morgan. He had the look and decent skills, but he was made a stuttering moron. He actually was a success in TNA and could have been more in WWE without a shit gimmick. Not sure if he'd have been main event in WWE as such but certainly could have been a greater success.

  8. #8
    Let it go, let it go Stan Accy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    I am one with the wind and sky
    Posts
    3,272
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    103177
    ukraine
    Nigel McGuinness. Granted, he’s in nxt now, but I remember a character in TNA coming out and calling Kurt Angle a ‘muppet’ and ‘wanker’ and thinking he could go far. Not all down to him, unfortunately.

  9. #9
    Legend Badger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    54,482
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    411144
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Accy View Post
    Nigel McGuinness. Granted, he’s in nxt now, but I remember a character in TNA coming out and calling Kurt Angle a ‘muppet’ and ‘wanker’ and thinking he could go far. Not all down to him, unfortunately.
    That wasn't entirely WWE's fault though. He did try out 10 years ago but failed the physical. He could have tried again later when better, but plied his work elsewhere. Probably not worth the health risk on WWE's part considering what happened.

    I wasn't a big fan of the Wolfe name, but did enjoy his TNA work with Angle otherwise.

  10. #10
    Main Eventer Sasori's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Daniel Bryan's Dreams just kicked you in the balls!
    Posts
    9,238
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    137885
    Ricky Steamboat. Vince got butt hurt because he wanted to spend time with his wife who was close to giving birth and killed his push. I don't blame Steamboat for leaving. Just think of the matches he could have had with Hart, Hennig, Michaels, etc.

  11. #11
    Legend Badger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    54,482
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    411144
    Ric Flair. How much bigger could he have been in the 90s for WWE could he have been if he was convinced to stay? Taking into account circumstances but him vs Hogan was a fucking opportunity that didn't happen. If he was convinced to stick around, he could have made a big difference to the mid-90s lull.

  12. #12
    ◥◤◥◤◥◤◥◤◥◤◥◤◥◤◥◤ Bill Casey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    ◢◣◢◣◢◣◢◣◢◣◢◣◢◣◢◣
    Posts
    80,076
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    330575
    usa
    Bam Bam Bigelow...
    Only spent a few short years of his career in WWE. Rumored he had beef with The Kliq...

  13. #13
    Legend Badger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    54,482
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    411144
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Casey View Post
    Bam Bam Bigelow...
    Only spent a few short years of his career in WWE. Rumored he had beef with The Kliq...
    I think he was great but unfortunately in the wrong era when it was mostly about Bret/Diesel/Shawn.

    On that note, I'll put Vader too. Crying shame he wasn't champ because Shawn threw a hissy-fit that he was too stiff using his Kliq pull.

  14. #14
    Intercontinental Champion Jarrod1983's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Pulaski, NY
    Posts
    2,476
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    125607
    usa
    As great a big man as Yokozuna is, I still wish Bam Bam had won the 93 Rumble and went on to face Bret at Caesar's Palace. Bret and Bammer had awesome chemistry and would have had a barn burner at WMIX.

  15. #15
    Legend Badger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    54,482
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    411144
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarrod1983 View Post
    As great a big man as Yokozuna is, I still wish Bam Bam had won the 93 Rumble and went on to face Bret at Caesar's Palace. Bret and Bammer had awesome chemistry and would have had a barn burner at WMIX.
    Way to ruin what was already a mediocre Rumble lacking in star power. Savage goes for the pin and Yoko pushes him off over the top rope. I don't know if that was deliberate or a running joke because the year before he leapt over the top to get to Jake while Heenan/Monsoon had to cover that no-one threw him over the top rope which didn't count.

  16. #16
    Intercontinental Champion Jarrod1983's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Pulaski, NY
    Posts
    2,476
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    125607
    usa
    I still have fond memories of my dad and two uncles cheering hard for Bob Backlund to win. All three were beyond disappointed when Yoko bounced him out at the end.

    I don't know what was up with the finish but they really could have doubled down on Bigelow. Could have had him run through a bunch of people in the Rumble. He was just returning and a big Rumble win could have done him wonders. A Savage/Bigelow show down at the end could have been great too!

    They could have had Savage win too, face Bret at IX. Bret vs. Randy would have been epic.

  17. #17
    Legend Badger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    54,482
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    411144
    The booking was a real trip back then. Backlund goes through the whole roster and puts Bret through 40+ minutes of hell at Survivor Series 94. Few days later Diesel beats him in 7 secs. Eventually Bret ends Diesel's reign.

    I can see where WWE gets it even stevens booking from lol

  18. #18
    Main Eventer lotjx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    You have to keep it for 30 days, lotjx. Stop trying to change it. You agreed to the terms when you joined the game.
    Posts
    9,628
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    31773
    Drew McIntyre. I think they have already botched a really good redemption story for him into a hobo version of Diesel to Shane's HBK

  19. #19
    Legend Badger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    54,482
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    411144
    Quote Originally Posted by lotjx View Post
    Drew McIntyre. I think they have already botched a really good redemption story for him into a hobo version of Diesel to Shane's HBK
    He went away for a while, but never "got away". He's a natural heel, didn't buy his redemption face NXT angle.

    They haven't botched him at all. He's on TV just about every week with Shane. He's sitting pretty.

  20. #20
    My dad pinned Mr Backlund Kneeneighbor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Wearing my scarlet letter with pride
    Posts
    14,392
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    132029
    ussr
    Vader.

    Could have been so much more in WWF

  21. #21
    Legend Badger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    54,482
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    411144
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneeneighbor View Post
    Vader.

    Could have been so much more in WWF
    He didn’t kliq with some people.

  22. #22
    Let it go, let it go Stan Accy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    I am one with the wind and sky
    Posts
    3,272
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    103177
    ukraine
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    That wasn't entirely WWE's fault though. He did try out 10 years ago but failed the physical. He could have tried again later when better, but plied his work elsewhere. Probably not worth the health risk on WWE's part considering what happened.

    I wasn't a big fan of the Wolfe name, but did enjoy his TNA work with Angle otherwise.
    Yeah, I didn’t mean it was WWE’s fault either, could have been worded better. Just shitty luck to have a condition that failed the medical (hep c?)

  23. #23
    Sweet Assy Southern Belle Spudz Mackenzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,474
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    96358
    Ultimo Dragon.

    - Yeah, he's not exactly a main event guy, but he came into the WWE when Vince and the crew could give two and a half shits about the cruiserweights, so he never got a good chance. And then you add in his little Wrestlemania 20 trip and stumble and almost falling off the ropes and he was dead on arrival. If he were here now, he'd be a great asset to 205 Live, a good potential trainer for the performance center, and he'd be almost like a player/coach for NXT. Dude came around about ten years too early.

    Bam-Bam-Bigelow

    - Good shout. But everybody wants to talk about how Bammer should've been Bret's foil in the early-90's. But WWF should've jumped on him when he came in in 1988. Imagine a heel Bigelow vs. face Hulk Hogan program around the horn. That could've been your SummerSlam 1988 main event. Hell, do the "Hogan gets hospitalized and almost retires" thing they did in 1990 with Earthquake, but with Bammer. Fuck yeah.

    Vader

    - Babyface Shawn Michaels vs. Heel Monster Vader could've been the WWF's answer to Sting/Vader. Shame Shawn had to be a gigantic, ulcerous cunt and kill Vader's run.

    EC3

    - This dude should be setting up for a rematch with Kofi Kingston and the Smackdown! World Title right now instead of fucking around with the Loser House Party and Titus 'O Neil on Main Event. This dude can work, talk, and he has a body that looks like it was chiseled from granite. How he's not on Vince McMuscleMan's "Push To The Fucking Moon Immediately" list, I'll never know.

  24. #24
    Sweet Assy Southern Belle Spudz Mackenzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,474
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    96358
    One more;

    Konnan.

    - Dude was never the strongest in the ring, but good Christ could he cut a promo. He called the WWF looking for a job, but he used his work name saying "Yo, this is K-Dog" and Bruce Prichard, in all his infinite wisdom, didn't know who he was. Brother Bruce never gave him the time of day. I know he was in for a brief stint as Max Moon/Latin Fury in some dark matches, but imagine a world where Konnan is in the WWF and he brokers the deal to bring in the Luchadors from Mexico to the WWF instead of WCW. He could've been a strong European Champion/Tag-Team Champion level wrestler. Completely missed the boat on him.

  25. #25
    ◥◤◥◤◥◤◥◤◥◤◥◤◥◤◥◤ Bill Casey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    ◢◣◢◣◢◣◢◣◢◣◢◣◢◣◢◣
    Posts
    80,076
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    330575
    usa

  26. #26
    Ooh he's written it down.
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,553
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    5210
    I wonder if the WWE crowd would get behind Juice Robinson of now as opposed to the CJ Parker we got.

  27. #27
    Intercontinental Champion Jarrod1983's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Pulaski, NY
    Posts
    2,476
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    125607
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudz Mackenzie View Post
    Ultimo Dragon.

    - Yeah, he's not exactly a main event guy, but he came into the WWE when Vince and the crew could give two and a half shits about the cruiserweights, so he never got a good chance. And then you add in his little Wrestlemania 20 trip and stumble and almost falling off the ropes and he was dead on arrival. If he were here now, he'd be a great asset to 205 Live, a good potential trainer for the performance center, and he'd be almost like a player/coach for NXT. Dude came around about ten years too early.

    Bam-Bam-Bigelow

    - Good shout. But everybody wants to talk about how Bammer should've been Bret's foil in the early-90's. But WWF should've jumped on him when he came in in 1988. Imagine a heel Bigelow vs. face Hulk Hogan program around the horn. That could've been your SummerSlam 1988 main event. Hell, do the "Hogan gets hospitalized and almost retires" thing they did in 1990 with Earthquake, but with Bammer. Fuck yeah.

    Vader

    - Babyface Shawn Michaels vs. Heel Monster Vader could've been the WWF's answer to Sting/Vader. Shame Shawn had to be a gigantic, ulcerous cunt and kill Vader's run.

    EC3

    - This dude should be setting up for a rematch with Kofi Kingston and the Smackdown! World Title right now instead of fucking around with the Loser House Party and Titus 'O Neil on Main Event. This dude can work, talk, and he has a body that looks like it was chiseled from granite. How he's not on Vince McMuscleMan's "Push To The Fucking Moon Immediately" list, I'll never know.
    All four of these are dead on. Especially Bam Bam vs. Hogan. Could have been great matches. I feel like that was in the cards if he stayed around longer. Bammer was on Hogan's Survivor Series 87 team. Hogan always seemed to have his friends turn on him. It definatley would have happened if Bigelow stayed put in the Fed.

  28. #28
    Legend Badger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    54,482
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    411144
    Tatanka’s another one. Massive winning streak then a feud with Luger later but then his career down the pisser thanks to the Kliq boys.

  29. #29
    Intercontinental Champion Jarrod1983's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Pulaski, NY
    Posts
    2,476
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    125607
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Tatanka’s another one. Massive winning streak then a feud with Luger later but then his career down the pisser thanks to the Kliq boys.
    I just knew Ludvig Borga had his number that morning watching WWF Superstars. The one finger pin was so insulting!

  30. #30
    What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Dead Moines, IA
    Posts
    32,191
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    448400
    Cody Rhodes.

    He wasn't necessarily touted as a next Big thing but he had the potential. Still does.

  31. #31
    Real Sam Hill Sinner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Mile High City
    Posts
    12,328
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    22672
    Vader and Saturn.

    Bam Bam and Mike Awesome.

  32. #32
    Sweet Assy Southern Belle Spudz Mackenzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,474
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    96358
    Dusty Rhodes

    - By the time Hell froze over and Dusty came into the WWF, there wasn't enough room in town for him and Hogan to co-exist. But imagine if Dusty had been given a proper main event push? Yeah, Dusty was NWA down to his fat ass and his jive-turkey promos, but the WWF machine getting behind him could've been huge. Imagine a WWF where Hogan say, blows out his knee, and Dusty has to carry the load. Dusty/Savage, Dusty/Dibiase, Dusty/Rude, Dusty/Andre. That's just cool to think about.

  33. #33
    What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Dead Moines, IA
    Posts
    32,191
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    448400
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudz Mackenzie View Post
    Dusty Rhodes

    - By the time Hell froze over and Dusty came into the WWF, there wasn't enough room in town for him and Hogan to co-exist. But imagine if Dusty had been given a proper main event push? Yeah, Dusty was NWA down to his fat ass and his jive-turkey promos, but the WWF machine getting behind him could've been huge. Imagine a WWF where Hogan say, blows out his knee, and Dusty has to carry the load. Dusty/Savage, Dusty/Dibiase, Dusty/Rude, Dusty/Andre. That's just cool to think about.
    Downside is Dusty was 45 years old. Upside is every one of those feuds but Andre and Rude happened. Imagine Dusty coming to WWF before Hogan!

  34. #34
    Main Eventer lotjx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    You have to keep it for 30 days, lotjx. Stop trying to change it. You agreed to the terms when you joined the game.
    Posts
    9,628
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    31773
    Dusty should have been bigger in the WWF, but I'm glad his legacy has been cemented by his sons' run in WWE. I still have no idea what they were thinking after the Rhodes brothers beat Shield to lose later. Their 2012 fall booking was so bad they had a near roit at 2013 Rumble.

    Drew is just another Shane McMahon Henchmen like Elias. He may win KOTR and restart his career for the fifth time. Yet, I don't know how excited I am about that.

  35. #35
    Intercontinental Champion Jarrod1983's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Pulaski, NY
    Posts
    2,476
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    125607
    usa
    Dusty did have a mini run in 77 against Billy Graham for the WWWF title. I remember seeing these matches on the Graham DVD years ago. It was great stuff. Blood and a hot MSG crowd. Imagine if Dusty got Bob Backlund's reign as champ. Who knows how that would have affected the wrestling world's timeline.

  36. #36
    Intercontinental Champion Jarrod1983's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Pulaski, NY
    Posts
    2,476
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    125607
    usa
    How about Jake The Snake? Not that he wasn't successful but if he had stuck around after WMVIII (and was sober) what would have happened? He could have definatley found himself facing Savage and then maybe Bret too in Title programs. When Jake did leave what could he have accomplished in WCW if he had stayed longer there? I feel like 93-94 could have been some of his best heel work if he could have made it work.

  37. #37
    Jobber
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Istanbul
    Posts
    37
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    I think Raven would have to be the most under utilised talent ever to grace wwe's door step. I have never seen anyone like him on the mic. Instead they just made him into a hardcore spot monkey so in the end all of his best work was in ECW, WCW and TNA.

  38. #38
    World Champion Murphy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Bedfordshire
    Posts
    27,108
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    140069
    yugoslavia
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinner View Post
    Vader and Saturn.

    Bam Bam and Mike Awesome.
    Mike Awesome was worse on the stick than the Bulldog was and that is really, really saying something.

    Shame, as he was hella good in the ring. The agility of a man of that size. I remember first seeing him in FMW against his lifelong nemesis, Masato Tanaka. Must have been 1997 ish. Great stuff.

  39. #39
    What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Dead Moines, IA
    Posts
    32,191
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    448400
    The one thing I can tell is that there aren't too many wrestlers the WWE let get away that went elsewhere and were used a lot better. Sometimes it's one of those things where you go "Shit if they had that gimmick when they were in WWE maybe it would have worked out better" I think of EC3. He THRIVED in TNA. But then he came back and they completely fumbled.

  40. #40
    World Champion
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    10,637
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    109139
    I don't get the Bam Bam references. he had a good run with WWE when he came back as a heel. he wasn't a main eventer but he still had a good career.

    When I think of ones that got away, Mike Awesome, Ultimo Drago, Perry Saturn, Raven, Dusty Rhodes etc.

  41. #41
    Intercontinental Champion Jarrod1983's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Pulaski, NY
    Posts
    2,476
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    125607
    usa
    Bam Bam for sure had a good run as you put it. I just think that his look, size, agility and talking should have propelled him even further. Especially in the WWF 93-95 time period when the roster was a tad thin. Hell, I mentioned Bret but a run vs. The Undertaker in place of Giant Gonzalez is also something that could improve segments on TV in 93. Feuding with Doink, spinning his wheels in Dibiase's Corporation (until the LT stuff) and then that babyface run are all things that left something to be desired.

  42. #42
    Sweet Assy Southern Belle Spudz Mackenzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,474
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    96358
    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Mike Awesome was worse on the stick than the Bulldog was and that is really, really saying something.

    Shame, as he was hella good in the ring. The agility of a man of that size. I remember first seeing him in FMW against his lifelong nemesis, Masato Tanaka. Must have been 1997 ish. Great stuff.
    In the WWF, Mike Awesome needed a girl and a manager. Since WWF wasn't about to hire Judge Jeff Jones from whatever obscurity he was residing in by 2001, they should've just given Mike Awesome Paul E and Dawn Marie. That would've been a really killer package on TV.

  43. #43
    My dad pinned Mr Backlund Kneeneighbor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Wearing my scarlet letter with pride
    Posts
    14,392
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    132029
    ussr
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    The booking was a real trip back then. Backlund goes through the whole roster and puts Bret through 40+ minutes of hell at Survivor Series 94. Few days later Diesel beats him in 7 secs. Eventually Bret ends Diesel's reign.

    I can see where WWE gets it even stevens booking from lol
    A lot went into this but to summarize Bret needed time off. Vince wanted the belt on a top face so Diesel was the chosen one. They knew there was money in Diesel vs Bret so they needed to hold off on that match thus they needed a transitional champion. They were lacking former Wold Champions as they didnt want to make someone a champion for the first time for just a day. Perfect storm for Mr. Bob Backlund.

    Also did you all know my dad pinned Bob Backlund???

  44. #44
    Top Hulkamaniac Bluegunn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Parts unknown
    Posts
    4,972
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    8368
    I don't think AJ Styles would last 20 years in wwe. He would be stuck in light heavyweight division. See Jerry Lynn.

  45. #45
    Main Eventer chatty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    6,380
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    16298
    There's loads really.

    Cody Rhodes -

    Already bigger now than he was in WWE but he could have been big in WWE. The guy is a good wrestler has charisma, is good on the mic and has a good look. Sure, he's no muscle mountain but his pushes in WWE were pretty terrible.

    I felt they handled him well early, have him tagging and feuding with Holly whilst he got to grips with the business, put him with Orton in a stable with Dibiase. They were able to work without too much expectations and still get plenty of airtime due to the association with Orton.

    From there they just didn't know what to do with him, Dashing, Rhodes Scholars, Stardust, he made them all work to the best he could but they were all pretty poor gimmicks yet he still managed to shine quite well during these feuds. His tag team with Goldust was tremendous going up against the Shield and The Authority, he was in position to be a red hot underdog baby face but thy let him move back into mid card obscurity within weeks. The less said about Stardust and The Ascension the better really.

    Since then he's had freedom to create his own character, he's had good feuds, he's showed he can work both as a heel and face and he's had great matches. He now sits as one of the stars at AEW and has massive potential going forward.

    Vader -

    Literally had a monster heel that could work great matches at the top of the card. Already established and had a great look, he should have been the monster that made the baby faces for years to come. They had Bret, Shawn, Foley, Taker, Bulldog, Owen, Austin, HHH and Rock at that time some great feuds there especially when any was face. They simply should have moved him away from Michael's and then rebuilt him without having to work with Shawn.

    Scott Hall -

    Money was the problem but he was a great top end mid carder ready to move into the main event properly when he left WWE. He could have been the star they needed at that time but they lost him and WCW got a huge boost from him.

    His personal problems could have been a factor as well I suppose but he had it all and was ready to be a star. WWE botched let his contract run out.

    Matt Hardy -

    Essentially played second fiddle to Jeff for most of his WWE years yet he may actually have been the better brother to push. He's had his problems himself but not as bad as Jeff and he's shown hes capable of getting over with the crowd, having huge character development and being a top guy. WWE didn't realise this till he was pretty much errr... broken.

  46. #46
    Foot on a spiiiiiiiiike
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    London
    Posts
    12,118
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    109598
    Wade Barrett.

  47. #47
    What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Dead Moines, IA
    Posts
    32,191
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    448400
    Quote Originally Posted by Romford Pele View Post
    Wade Barrett.
    If he wasn't made of glass he would have been a huge star IMO.

  48. #48
    World Champion
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    18,638
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    51523
    Cody Rhodes & Shelton Benjamin

  49. #49
    World Champion
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    18,638
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    51523
    Also from the old school, Owen Hart, British Bulldog, Rick Rude and Mr Perfect.

  50. #50
    Legend Badger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    54,482
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    411144
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    If he wasn't made of glass he would have been a huge star IMO.
    I think there was more to it than that. I don’t believe Vince was fully behind him as a main-event player and cut the BNB gimmick from under him because fans were cheering it for example.

  51. #51
    What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Dead Moines, IA
    Posts
    32,191
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    448400
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    I think there was more to it than that. I don’t believe Vince was fully behind him as a main-event player and cut the BNB gimmick from under him because fans were cheering it for example.
    Well yeah they wanted him as a strong heel so they had to rid of him of what was getting him cheered.

    But again....If you're not at work, what can they do with you? He was injured way too often. It always seemed like right as he was going to get something going, he'd get hurt and he'd be out, not for a month, but for like 9 months. So if Vince couldn't see him as a main event player, imo, it was more to do with his physical well being than creative.

  52. #52
    Legend Badger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    54,482
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    411144
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    Well yeah they wanted him as a strong heel so they had to rid of him of what was getting him cheered.

    But again....If you're not at work, what can they do with you? He was injured way too often. It always seemed like right as he was going to get something going, he'd get hurt and he'd be out, not for a month, but for like 9 months. So if Vince couldn't see him as a main event player, imo, it was more to do with his physical well being than creative.
    The injuries were no doubt a big factor, but there was always creative frustration too which shouldn’t be ignored. Nexus which was a vehicle to get Cena more over in the end, the Corre which was a pile of crap, same goes for League of Nations, knuckle-fighting gimmick was okay and injuries did play a part too, BNB was the best thing going for him and they cut that out from under him etc. He was naturally frustrated being bounced from one thing to the next. Even if he was healthier, I doubt WWE would know what to do with him properly.

    Always a bridesmaid but never a bride.

  53. #53
    What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Dead Moines, IA
    Posts
    32,191
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    448400
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    The injuries were no doubt a big factor, but there was always creative frustration too which shouldn’t be ignored. Nexus which was a vehicle to get Cena more over in the end, the Corre which was a pile of crap, same goes for League of Nations, knuckle-fighting gimmick was okay and injuries did play a part too, BNB was the best thing going for him and they cut that out from under him etc. He was naturally frustrated being bounced from one thing to the next. Even if he was healthier, I doubt WWE would know what to do with him properly.

    Always a bridesmaid but never a bride.
    Yeah for me the injuries were the biggest factor. If he was healthier maybe they could have had the confidence to put more effort into him. I mean they put him in that Halle Berry movie that did pretty well, small part but still.

    I think with Nexus.....You could argue that he wasn't ready for that big of a play but regardless it was still pretty fresh and interesting. I would have liked to have seen Wade v. Cena @ Mania where Cena wins the belt from Wade, especially if it was meant to for Cena to prevail. IMO, a healthy Wade Barrett is at the least a 2 time former WWE/World Heavyweight champion.

  54. #54
    Legend Badger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    54,482
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    411144
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    Yeah for me the injuries were the biggest factor. If he was healthier maybe they could have had the confidence to put more effort into him. I mean they put him in that Halle Berry movie that did pretty well, small part but still.

    I think with Nexus.....You could argue that he wasn't ready for that big of a play but regardless it was still pretty fresh and interesting. I would have liked to have seen Wade v. Cena @ Mania where Cena wins the belt from Wade, especially if it was meant to for Cena to prevail. IMO, a healthy Wade Barrett is at the least a 2 time former WWE/World Heavyweight champion.
    It was fresh and interesting to begin with like tearing up the arena on their debut, then they lost their debut match. Cena joins Nexus and gets fired later but he’s still on TV every week. Interesting concept but creative dropped the ball big style on Nexus.

    Injuries were no doubt a prime factor but Orton for example was Mr Glass too plus his suspensions to boot too yet it didn’t stop them making him World Champ over and over. But they He may have gotten a short reign or two but I think he’d be like a Ziggler now if he stuck around. He’d be Ziggler now if he was healthier and kept on I think. Dependable but ultimately jobber to the stars.

  55. #55
    What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Dead Moines, IA
    Posts
    32,191
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    448400
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    It was fresh and interesting to begin with like tearing up the arena on their debut, then they lost their debut match. Cena joins Nexus and gets fired later but he’s still on TV every week. Interesting concept but creative dropped the ball big style on Nexus.

    Injuries were no doubt a prime factor but Orton for example was Mr Glass too plus his suspensions to boot too yet it didn’t stop them making him World Champ over and over. But they He may have gotten a short reign or two but I think he’d be like a Ziggler now if he stuck around. He’d be Ziggler now if he was healthier and kept on I think. Dependable but ultimately jobber to the stars.
    Well....By this time Orton was ultra established and cemented as a top tier player. And there wasn't a lot of start and stop the first couple years he was on the main roster like there was with Wade.

    Hey, nothing wrong with being a Ziggler. 15-20 years working for the biggest, most profitable wrestling company and the exposure leads to you getting to transition into other aspects of entertainment? I mean what's Wade doing now? He's acting, he's living a life that doesn't require him to break his body and mind into a million pieces. It's a shame he wasn't a bigger star in the WWE.

  56. #56
    Legend Badger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    54,482
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    411144
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    Well....By this time Orton was ultra established and cemented as a top tier player. And there wasn't a lot of start and stop the first couple years he was on the main roster like there was with Wade.

    Hey, nothing wrong with being a Ziggler. 15-20 years working for the biggest, most profitable wrestling company and the exposure leads to you getting to transition into other aspects of entertainment? I mean what's Wade doing now? He's acting, he's living a life that doesn't require him to break his body and mind into a million pieces. It's a shame he wasn't a bigger star in the WWE.
    Still they could have chucked or de-pushed Orton at that point due to his injuries and behaviour despite his pedigree at that point, but they really like him plus his family background helped. I doubt many others would have been afforded as much grace.

    Absolutely Wade is doing well for himself. I think he made the right decision, even if healthy I think he would have been frustrated bouncing from gimmick to gimmick. Ziggler has longevity but he’s been very outspoken about how he’s being used which I think has been to his detriment with regards to getting a bigger push. I guess he’s fine with that now though he is a caricature of himself now moaning then getting his arse kicked.

  57. #57
    Intercontinental Champion
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Nutmeg State
    Posts
    2,343
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    192809
    The Rock. He has had a bigger career outside of WWE than he had while with them. Shame he got away.

    He was so talented, and incredibly over with the crowd, it's easy to forget how he could make people react without saying anything, just moving an eyebrow would get him cheered.

  58. #58
    World Champion
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,097
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    84163
    Bruiser Brody could have had a massive run against Hogan in the late 80s. Brody vs. Hogan sounds like a Wrestlemania main event. Not really sure why he didn't come in, he had worked for Vince Sr. back in the late 1970s. Guy had a wild streak to him but there was a lot of money in a run with Hogan.

    Sting is a huge one. Whether they landed him in the 80s, 90s, or 2000s he could have had a big run. Instead by the time they finally got him he was pretty much done.

    Lashley. They were priming him to be one of their top guys before he left. And then he spent ten years doing MMA and fucking around in TNA when he could have been a top star. Amazingly they got him back and he's still good and they haven't really pushed him that much.

    Freebirds could have been huge if they didn't mix with the locker room like oil and water. They would have been a really spicy addition to an already great tag team division in the late 80s. Same goes for the Rock N Roll Express and the Midnight Express.

    Sid really should have been one of the biggest stars in WWE history, but he was such an unreliable shithead he threw away every opportunity they gave him. If that guy has head on straight he would have been the fucking man. Could be either your top heel or top face. Dude only wrestled at two Wrestlemanias and he main evented both of them. He's one of the only guys to main event both Wrestlemania and Starrcade.

    This is focused on WWE, but WCW had so many: Austin, Undertaker, Nash, Hall, Foley. Had all those guys and let them go. And they nearly landed Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels back in the early 90s.

  59. #59
    Main Eventer corinoismybestfriend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    End of the Rainbow
    Posts
    5,593
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    18846
    Carlito Carribean Cool.

    Had a great run, but I could see him as an even bigger star today.

  60. #60
    RIP Vader Brock Kasady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    2,318
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    19360
    Quote Originally Posted by The Law View Post
    Bruiser Brody could have had a massive run against Hogan in the late 80s. Brody vs. Hogan sounds like a Wrestlemania main event. Not really sure why he didn't come in, he had worked for Vince Sr. back in the late 1970s. Guy had a wild streak to him but there was a lot of money in a run with Hogan.
    If he went to WWF in the late '80s, I could see a run for him in maybe the Earthquake role. Could see Vince bringing Brody in for a bit as Andre's partner in the Colossal Connection instead of Haku; they carry the titles for a while, break up, Andre retires, and Brody goes on to face Hogan at SummerSlam 1990.

  61. #61
    Main Eventer corinoismybestfriend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    End of the Rainbow
    Posts
    5,593
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    18846
    Sean O'Haire would have been a great match for Lesnar.

  62. #62
    Legend Badger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    54,482
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    411144
    Sean O'Haire's pre-taped vignettes of "I'm not telling anything you didn't already know" were good, but didn't translate well citting the promos live.

    He was an okay worker and his reverse DVD finisher was unique, but he ultimately didn't tick all the boxes to be a big player IMO. The Roddy Piper feud he was in had potential to be great but ultimately disappointed.

  63. #63
    Main Eventer corinoismybestfriend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    End of the Rainbow
    Posts
    5,593
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    18846
    He turned out to be an awesome wrestler by the time he was squashing guys like Crowbar and Bobby Roode. I liked his match with Justin Credible, too. He just needed an eyepoke transition move to be great heel to face Lesnar, and I'm sure Piper at least taught him that...

  64. #64
    Legend Badger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    54,482
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    411144
    He was lacking in other areas While okay in the ring, he wasn't the strongest on a live mic. If Piper couldn't get him over then I don't know how Lesnar could have either. Lesnar works best when he has a strong credible worker and mic worker across from him with Heyman doing the talking at his end. O'Haire had a few good victories for a while but still not credible enough to face a beast like Lesnar.

  65. #65
    Main Eventer corinoismybestfriend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    End of the Rainbow
    Posts
    5,593
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    18846
    He was quite a beast himself.

  66. #66
    Legend Badger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    54,482
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    411144
    Not for long though, he was essentially a flavour of the month. They put him back to OVW after his motorcycle accident then got released. He was an interesting experiment for a while but ultimately not sustainable.

  67. #67
    Main Eventer corinoismybestfriend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    End of the Rainbow
    Posts
    5,593
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    18846
    How about Jason Jett? Other than the mesh, that guy was fantastic

  68. #68
    Main Eventer corinoismybestfriend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    End of the Rainbow
    Posts
    5,593
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    18846
    Or Lex Luger, while we're talking about it...

    EDIT - and CRUSH
    Last edited by corinoismybestfriend; August 30th, 2019 at 5:31 PM.

  69. #69
    Legend Badger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    54,482
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    411144
    Lex has often denied that urban legend of getting pissed the night before Mania X and taking his word for it, but otherwise that's a strange one given how heavily he was promoted. I can only surmise that Vince ultimately thought Bret was the better option but that's just a guess.

  70. #70
    World Champion
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,097
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    84163
    TNA had CM Punk and didn't do shit with him. That was a huge missed opportunity.

    Also Nakamura did a match in TNA but I don't really know what the story was with that.

    WWE had a lot of guys who would become big stars who they gave tryouts to but didn't sign in the early 2000s: Daniel Bryan, Samoa Joe, AJ Styles. Always love finding those matches from Velocity and Metal on Youtube.

  71. #71
    Once upon a time... kdestiny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Way Down Hadestown
    Posts
    17,564
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    151779
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by The Law View Post
    TNA had CM Punk and didn't do shit with him. That was a huge missed opportunity.

    Also Nakamura did a match in TNA but I don't really know what the story was with that.

    WWE had a lot of guys who would become big stars who they gave tryouts to but didn't sign in the early 2000s: Daniel Bryan, Samoa Joe, AJ Styles. Always love finding those matches from Velocity and Metal on Youtube.
    I think that was while TNA and NJPW had a partnership. Tana had a match there too.

  72. #72
    What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Dead Moines, IA
    Posts
    32,191
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    448400
    Quote Originally Posted by The Law View Post
    TNA had CM Punk and didn't do shit with him. That was a huge missed opportunity.

    Also Nakamura did a match in TNA but I don't really know what the story was with that.

    WWE had a lot of guys who would become big stars who they gave tryouts to but didn't sign in the early 2000s: Daniel Bryan, Samoa Joe, AJ Styles. Always love finding those matches from Velocity and Metal on Youtube.
    TNA also had Naito and Okada. Naito was part of a tag-team in that weird Eric Young stable and Okada I believe was the Kato type bodyguard for Samoa Joe.

    CM Punk, and concerning the talent WWE let go or gave tryouts to in the early 2000's, smart move for all of them mentioned including the companies because had they stuck around who knows what would have came to be. I really don't think CM Punk hit his true "prospect potential" until he started doing those Samoa Joe matches in Ring of Honor.

    Funny story...Apparently CM Punk and Joe were in this TNA-WWE bidding war. Punk told a story that he said if TNA let him and Joe wrestle each other in their debut for an hour he'd sign with TNA. Probably just fucking with them since he did go on record with Joe in a shoot saying he wasn't a fan of Russo's booking, who at the time was the booker I believe when Punk was first there and when he thought about returning.

    Imagine would could have been lol.

  73. #73
    Ironclad Contract RuneEdge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    15,945
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    179400
    Always thought the Fallen Angel gimmick for Christopher Daniels had potential in WWE. Especially mixing it up with characters like Kane and Undertaker.

  74. #74
    What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Dead Moines, IA
    Posts
    32,191
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    448400
    Quote Originally Posted by RuneEdge View Post
    Always thought the Fallen Angel gimmick for Christopher Daniels had potential in WWE. Especially mixing it up with characters like Kane and Undertaker.
    What was the Fallen Angel gimmick?

    True story, he was Vince Russo's choice for The Higher Power reveal way the fuck back in 1998-1999, whenever that bullshit was, maybe 99. So I've always been curious as to what exactly the gimmick entailed. I know in WCW he was there for 1 match and had some backstage segment linked up to Vampiro.

  75. #75
    Ironclad Contract RuneEdge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    15,945
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    179400
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    What was the Fallen Angel gimmick?
    Do you not remember his old gimmick from the early ROH/TNA days where he was dressed like a priest?

  76. #76
    Main Eventer corinoismybestfriend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    End of the Rainbow
    Posts
    5,593
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    18846
    Dressed like a priest, wouldn't shake hands.

  77. #77
    What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Dead Moines, IA
    Posts
    32,191
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    448400
    Quote Originally Posted by RuneEdge View Post
    Do you not remember his old gimmick from the early ROH/TNA days where he was dressed like a priest?
    Nope. I didn't start watching Ring of Honor until they started airing ppvs when Nigel and that big Japanese dude were the World champs. Daniels was already long gone to TNA by this time.

    I remember in TNA he feuded with Sting was doing something darker but they never really built on it and within a few months he was back to the same old Chris Daniels.

  78. #78
    Main Eventer corinoismybestfriend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    End of the Rainbow
    Posts
    5,593
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    18846
    That's The Fallen Angel for you. You didn't miss a thing.

  79. #79
    What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Dead Moines, IA
    Posts
    32,191
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    448400
    Quote Originally Posted by corinoismybestfriend View Post
    That's The Fallen Angel for you. You didn't miss a thing.
    I can only imagine 170lbs, 5'7" Christopher Daniels mixing it up with Kane and Undertaker. Again I remember him stepping foot in WCW for a hot minute, botched a lionsault and that was the end of his WCW career lol.

  80. #80
    Legend Badger's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    54,482
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    411144
    Loaded question. If Owen Hart hadn’t been asked to do the Blue Blazer stuff and just been himself, would he have had a run as champ potentially feuding with Austin or still wallowed in the mid card and off to WCW?

    The potential feud with Michaels in late 97 whatever way you slice it was definitely one they let get away but they made him Helmsley’s bitch instead.

  81. #81
    What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Dead Moines, IA
    Posts
    32,191
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    448400
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Loaded question. If Owen Hart hadn’t been asked to do the Blue Blazer stuff and just been himself, would he have had a run as champ potentially feuding with Austin or still wallowed in the mid card and off to WCW?

    The potential feud with Michaels in late 97 whatever way you slice it was definitely one they let get away but they made him Helmsley’s bitch instead.
    I don't think he would have had a run as champion. I know going back prior to Survivor Series 1997, they had plans of getting the title on Austin at Mania. Everyone from Bret to Austin to HBK and Bruce Prichard have all confirmed that the plan was to have Bret lose to Shawn, and then Shawn being the mega heel at the time that he was, dropping it to the rising Austin.

    Now, I think a smart thing to do would have been to revisit Austin v. Owen. I wasn't a big fan of the Dude Love feud. IMO, it would have been crazy and a bigger storyline if Owen turned heel on Austin and joined Vince. Think about that....He joined the guy who fucked over his brother. But we can't forget Owen's jealousy of Bret and wanting to be out of his shadow, so that could have helped tremendously.

    I would have replaced Kane getting that 1 day reign with Owen getting a 1 day reign at the least. Or let him hold it until the following ppv. Then you could close that chapter and be able to still get on track for Summerslam-Survivor Series and everything plays out the exact same.

  82. #82
    Sweet Assy Southern Belle Spudz Mackenzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,474
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    96358
    Maybe sometime in 1998, Vince hires Owen as his enforcer and wants him to break Austin's neck, this time "permanently".

    A heavily pushed Owen Hart vs. a mega-magma-hot Steve Austin in 1998 would've put assholes in seats.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •