User Tag List

Thread: Listening Group Week 7: Palace - Lost in the Night...and...Chase the Night

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Listening Group Week 7: Palace - Lost in the Night...and...Chase the Night

Okay, so I'm cheating slightly, but one of the reasons that I wanted to get involved in this thread was to introduce myself to a lot of music that I don't know and in return I'd like to introduce people to some music that they would have been unlikely to have heard...however I'm not great with that because most of the music I know, you will already know.

To provide some context. I had a spell of around 10 years in the formative years of my youth where I didn't really listen to much music at all. None of my friends were 'music' people, none of them were in bands, they mostly just liked popular stuff. My parents were big musical influences, particularly my Dad, but he mostly just got me into The Beatles and stuff from his youth, which I spent years and years obsessing over at the sacrifice of learning about any new music. I grew up through the Brit Pop Revolution, which I loved, but I never really went to any gigs or festivals and was just never really part of the music scene.

Then I started going out with my ex, who had pretty much the opposite experience of music to me. She played in bands, she went to loads of gigs and festivals, she really lived and breathed music. She was also a massive pain in the arse who was phenomenally snobbish about music, but she reinvigorated my love for music and for listening to stuff that I might not have heard of and learning about stuff. She made a spotify playlist with loads of bands and new music that she liked and I used that as a bit of an education of lots of the stuff I'd missed over the past 15 years or so and we started going to gigs together, which was probably the most enjoyable part about the relationship.

One of the bands we saw on a support act was this band called Palace who played a few singles. They were really new, really raw with a cool lead singer with an interesting voice and they played music that I immediately quite liked. I've continued to follow them since. Getting into a band from pretty much the start of their public journey is really interesting, gives you a completely different understanding of how they have progressed. Fast forward 5 years and they've now had 2 albums out, but they haven't hit it big yet, but their profile is definitely growing.

I'd like to take you back to their first two extended singles they had Lost in the Night (5 songs) from 2014 and Chase the Night from 2015 (5 songs again...so in total, just about one full album). They are really basic (early days of finding their style I guess), but mellow, really relaxing, but with a catchy bite. If you like these two extended singles you'll like their two albums So Long Forever and Life After, which I won't link here so as to not fully cheat.

But they are great live...which is my real reason for picking them here. I've seen them 3 times live I think, but now that my ex is my ex, and nobody else knows who they are, I don't have anyone to go and watch them with. But they are playing at the Roundhouse in London on November 9th, so if anyone else likes their stuff and fancies going along to watch them, then game on!

Hope that you enjoy.

Intercontinental Champion Melly's Avatar
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Sounds good, always interested in trying new music. As for not having anyone to go with, go on your own. I've done it, it was still a fun time!

Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So we are basically listening to just the two songs right?

I have never heard of Palace so this is intriguing.

Ah EPs. Ok, fair enough.
    Last edited by MMH; August 14th, 2019 at 11:08 AM.

Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Halfway through the first EP. Very chill. I like it. Update more later.

We haven’t become anything — we simply are as we are
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    usa
    Got through the first one this morning en route to work.

It's fine, but there isn't a bit of it that really sticks out in my mind. I am not the biggest fan of the vocals but most of the music behind them are pretty solid.

Will listen to the second this evening or tomorrow morning, but so far it has been inoffensive but not totally my cup of tea.

Mentioned
    224 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kdestiny View Post
    Got through the first one this morning en route to work.

It's fine, but there isn't a bit of it that really sticks out in my mind. I am not the biggest fan of the vocals but most of the music behind them are pretty solid.

Will listen to the second this evening or tomorrow morning, but so far it has been inoffensive but not totally my cup of tea.
    ...you sure this isn't vengeance for the treatment of Good Apollo IV?

Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho666Soldier View Post
    ...you sure this isn't vengeance for the treatment of Good Apollo IV?

If it were vengeance for that I would've said this was shit.

It's not shit, It's okay to listen to for me, just not memorable at this point. Maybe I need to give it a second chance.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely, it’s short, listen to it a few times. I rarely ever like songs on the first listen, that’s why I listened to your album 3 times. Besides, this is much shorter.

Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    usa
    It's intriguing to say the least. Like I said, I do like a lot of the music happening. Those are first impressions to be fair.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    I think all the criticisms thus far have been mostly inoffensive..

Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Percussion View Post
    I think all the criticisms thus far have been mostly inoffensive..
    Oh for sure. I am not taking vengeance for anything because I can understand why folks wouldn't be a fan of Claudio's voice. It is certainly very different.

The vocals here just don't seem to fit to me, I don't know.

Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Update after EP 2. Really enjoyable listen, I love the music and the vocals seem to suit it for me. I can see myself replaying this and listening to more of their work.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    I’m gonna listen again before I post any comments.

Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seeing as I took a while to review the last album posted I thought I would knock this one out as soon as possible.

Started with Lost In The Night.

First of all I am appreciating the shortness of the EPs (I mean they are long for Eps but still less time than an actual album)

Musically I like this, the semi accoustic reverby guitar sounds remind me a bit of Jeff Buckley.

Like a few of these albums so far I think the singer could have a bit more about him, actually that's a bit harsh, he has a good voice, I think I am just hoping he will start shouting at some point. He nearly gets there by the last song (I Want What You Got). I don't really know why I expect every to get loud at some point in a piece of music, must be my metal roots.

The final song and Veins are the strongest song on the EP in my opinion but with the possible exception of the title track I don't think any of the songs are weak. (And Lost in the Night isn't THAT weak).

Currently listening to it a second time around whilst I type up my review and Ocean Deep is growing on me too.

Yeah I don't mind this, lets go on to EP 2.

I feel like I know "Head Above Water". Should I? Sounds very familiar.

Love the drums in "Kiloran", I actually like how they kind of go nowhere too. Big build up to nothing, I like music that doesn't follow typical convention.

The last minute or so of "Settle Down" is very mellow, they have gone from sounding like Jeff Buckley to sounding like Tim Buckley, that's not a bad thing.

"Tomahawk" is similar to Settle Down. I found it a classic filler song until about the 2.15 mark when the music got slightly awesome.

"Chase the Light" closes the EP on a decent note. Again not a bad track here. Nothing that totally grabs me but good enough.

So what do I actually think about these EPs? Well yeah they are not bad at all. Obviously a talented band and I think they could have a big future. If there was a downside to be had it would be that a lot of the songs were pretty samey, but it was a good samey.

They are probably not a band I would ever buy an album of but if they were performing live at the right venue in town or something then I would have a go at seeing them live. I think they would be very good live in the right kind of intimate venue, you know the type where the audience is respectful and you can see them from the bar and it gives you that weird drunk fuzzy feeling where your face goes warm and you get carried away with the dreamy music? No? Well that kind of gig. They would be really good at that, I would enjoy it immensely, buy an album from them at the merch stand and then never listen to it again. I seem to do that very often...

I will keep my eyes out for these. I actually really enjoyed Mik's background story for this one too. Your ex sounds a bit like me (I am a proper music snob), I hope to god for your sake she didn't look like me...

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    I really like music, I really do.
    There’s music for every occasion, every mood. Music is uplifting, relaxing, atmospheric, sentimental and much more.
    One of the other things music can be is dreary.
    Which is a shame.
    I like chilled out, relaxed stuff, sitting is very much one of my favourite things, but this just didn’t seem like it ever wanted to get going, it just sort of dripped like a tap.
    The band themselves I imagine own a lot of Rockabilly vinyl and corduroy underpants and are really big Wilco fans. They sound like a lot of London bands that I’m not cool enough to like.
    If I wasn’t busy on the 9th of November (taking the wife to Le Gavroche) I’d kind of be interested in seeing these live just to see what sort of atmosphere you get. I’m imagining a lot of shushing the people at the back who came by mistake, and the crowd drifting out after in a zombie like state, in search of gluten free non alcoholic craft ales and vegan fusion food.
    I tell you what I do like though, that they are band and that bands are still out there, if I like them or not, as proper bands feel a little endangered these days.

Mentioned
    446 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I really enjoyed these songs. I honestly feel like I've heard a couple of the songs before. Ocean Deep and Settle Down sound so, so familiar. Perhaps they were used in TV shows or movies? Or maybe they sound similar to something else, who knows?

I enjoyed that it was very relaxing music, it actually helped my drive to work. Usually I'm yelling at people left and right but I just chilled for the whole drive. I will echo similar comments earlier that nothing really stands out too much, nothing too memorable, but I like the consistency of the music.

Thanks @Mik for introducing me to this. I'm going to check out the albums later today.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've listened through twice now, but need to have a couple more run throughs to gauge how much I like them.

Definitely my style, but I think they need some fine tuning in areas. The first EP has a similar sound to The Alabama Shakes, but doesn't seem to elevate the same way. I think I would prefer them to go a little more aggressive and ramp it up every now and then.

They seem to have added a layer to their music on the second EP, which I think gives them a lot of potential if they can nail it down a bit better. I'll have to listen to some of the full lengths to see where they've gone with their sound. I just hope they don't sink into a repetitive routine.

Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    usa
    I do agree with Canuck to where the second EP they've added something. I think everything just fits together better there

The Rosk
    I’m giving this a few goes as I fell asleep the first time and think that instinctively they are one of those bands that are better live than on record. The second EP is better for sure. Will report back when lying down later.

Donde esta la biblioteca Pablo Diablo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    I've given it a first listen through and my instinct is that I like it.

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I try and listen to these whilst I'm working so I've been using that as my barometer. The Manics album didn't really work as you had to concentrate a bit more to take it in, whilst the Bjork album was a bit distracting but stuff like this is great for listening whilst working, its pretty unobtrusive and just right to have in the background.

I really liked it, a couple of songs felt like they were about to get going but just didn't quite get there which was a little disappointing but overall I think this might be my favourite choice so far. edit - I've just worked out who they remind me of. If they did get going a bit more they'd sound a lot like Kings of Leon imo

Definitely adding both EPs to the work playlist and will check out the full albums too. Thanks, Mik.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    australia
    I think the second EP works better together than the first but I somehow like the individual songs better on Lost in the Night. Bitter is my favourite tune of the lot.

The Rosk
    Only a couple of days left before the next one. Get your thoughts up boys.

WWF Champion
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll post my thoughts tomorrow night.

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    As Mik himself said, this is basic music. But I think that's why I've taken it so much easier than I have to other albums that have been put forward so far. The best way for me to describe what I like about them as a whole is that they're music is the type of music that I could have being the backdrop to so much of my day to day and wouldn't feel out of place.

Now for more specifics about the two EPs they've definitely tightened up between the two of them which is a good sign that they could continue and tighten up even further (I felt like on Tomahawk there could definitely have been a benefit to some further tightening up. But I don't think I want them to necessarily become a very complex band because that would ruin some of their appeal to me. Bitter is also my favourite from both and I think I liked Settle Down the most from the second EP.

I will definitely listen to some of their other stuff now. So thank you Mik for the suggestion.

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Explosions in the Sky is the first band that came to mind when I first listened to the EPs. Random aside that I remembered I wanted to mention.

The Rosk
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rosk View Post
    I’m giving this a few goes as I fell asleep the first time and think that instinctively they are one of those bands that are better live than on record. The second EP is better for sure. Will report back when lying down later.
    Having listened a few times, my opinion hasn't changed hugely. I feel like I want to scream at them to take the songs further, as they clearly are a cool, talented band with an eye for haunting gentle music, but the songs on show here always seemed to be on the edge of going somewhere special then sank back a little. Again - the second EP works a lot better for this - the first was almost background inner music (not always a bad thing).

I'd like to see them live however; and will be interested in going in November Mikkles.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rosk View Post

I'd like to see them live however; and will be interested in going in November Mikkles.
    And that's all I was looking for. Close the thread, I'm not contributing anymore, see you around guys.

you either die a hero... Morrison's Avatar
    or live long enough to see yourself become a dumdum.
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i got no big backstory or anecdotes for this one. was bound to happen eventually.

both EP's are easy as fuck to listen to. the lead singer seems to be taking a hozier impression and down-tuning it a bit, which isn't a complaint. i made the mistake of listening to them while driving around the city over the last week, during the day. i think they'd work much better at night, on the highway, where the long stretch of road laid out before you can match the lazy river quality of the music. right now, listening to some songs off them while i type, in a static position, they definitely take more of backseat. i very much feel like these EP's are best used to accompany and enhance the mood of solitary or intimate moments, where the general stillness of the music can act in contrast to the movement within those moments, almost not wanting to take too much of your attention for itself. very enjoyable, and would probably be moreso in certain environments.

Football manager? Peter Griffin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Going to be a bit late on this one, Got a bit going on atm so will give feedback by friday.

The Rosk
    A new album is coming in a few hours - get your feedback up, total runtime for Mik's choice is less than an hour for these two EPs and it's got a good reception thus far
    @JP @Cewsh @Simon
    @Peter Griffin and @wardy giving theirs soon

WWF Champion
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This has probably been my favourite so far with their sound being more in line with what I listen to nowadays than anything else we've had so far. A tale of two EPs: I liked every song on 'Lost in the Night' but found a couple on 'Chase the Light a bit' meh. The best bit about the listening to the second EP was probably when Spotify put a Beach Fossils song on after it had finished. Got me back into them.

'Veins' was the best song overall and 'Keep Your Head Above the Water' was probably the top track on the other EP. I don't have much else to say, it wasn't amazing and despite a lot of the tunes being a bit samey, I did enjoy listening. Cheers Mik.

Football manager? Peter Griffin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Okay, So to my knowledge I have never listened to any of this before and yet this seemed instantly comfortable and familiar. Usually with these threads I make notes on songs I like/don't like but in this instance I enjoyed all of it, Been playing Neverwinter on PS4 and just had this on in background. Very easy listening and relaxing I found. Would certainly listen again.

WWF Champion
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's your PSN, Griffo?

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm really glad that so many of you enjoyed my suggestion by the way. I definitely agree that they haven't quite found their sound in these EPs, but those represent the first music that they ever put out to the public, so I'm sure that their work will develop and become more refined and sophisticated as they move forward.