Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Top 10 Action Films

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Percussion View Post
    Ya, one has done wonderfully as an actor and the other has become and academy award winning director..
    Cool..

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Percussion View Post
    Ya, one has done wonderfully as an actor and the other has become and academy award winning director..
    Well, not quite technically. He hasn't actually been nominated for an Academy Award as Director, although a film he has directed has won the Best Picture.

He's definitely had a much more up and down career than Damon though.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Affleck the director > Affleck the actor

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Well, not quite technically. He hasn't actually been nominated for an Academy Award as Director, although a film he has directed has won the Best Picture.

He's definitely had a much more up and down career than Damon though.
    True about the film not winning for best director.

Two time academy award winner and very successful director would be more accurate.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    Affleck the director > Affleck the actor
    Affleck the director is damn good, but a bit overrated. Affleck the actor is terrible and maybe even a little overrated.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Affleck the director is damn good, but a bit overrated. Affleck the actor is terrible and maybe even a little overrated.
    He does up his acting game when he's behind the camera. I thought he was very good in The Town and Argo.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought that he was serviceable at best in each. I have no idea why he cast himself as lead in Argo. Nor why he insisted in taking his shirt off in both, particularly in political thriller Argo.

Defiance is a four letter
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Affleck's very good in Hollywoodland and State of Play.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Raiders of the lost Ark is the GOAT.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JP View Post
    Affleck's very good in Hollywoodland and State of Play.
    Don’t fully agree about State of Play. Hollywoodland, yes. And Gone Girl. Ironically in both of them he has to play fairly stiff characters that struggled to express their emotions. I think that’s why he was good. It’s weird though because in Good Will Hunting he’s good, just plain good. So it’s not like he can’t act. I have a theory that when he thinks he’s being really subtle, layered and nuanced he’s actually just looking vacant and blank and nobody has had the heart to tell him yet, so he just keeps choosing to act wooden.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Affleck's best roles were the ones before he was the mega name he became. Dazed and Confused, brilliant. Mallrats, brilliant. Good Will Hunting, brilliant. You know what they all have in common? He was a midcarder. I'll admit, he did a good job in Chasing Amy. Dogma, fuck that movie is so fun.

Fuck the world but I thought he was a great Batman/Bruce Wayne. He just might have been too big of a name to play the role with too much baggage for people to shit on. Michael Keaton wasn't even a huge name when he was Batman so you didn't have much to shit on other than Mr. Mom lol.

I guess I can't knock Boiler Room. Ok fuck it he had some good roles after he became a household name but still my personal favorites are the roles he did early in his career.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    He was for sure the all time best high school bully.

Mentioned
    290 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Truthfully, this didn't make my list. I think I've seen it once. Might be time to go back and start this series from the beginning.

Defiance is a four letter
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GOLDBERG'S BEST FRIEND View Post
    Raiders of the lost Ark is the GOAT.
    Action film though?

Didn't make my list.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarrod1983 View Post
    Truthfully, this didn't make my list. I think I've seen it once. Might be time to go back and start this series from the beginning.
    It didn't make my list either but I can see why it made other lists. When I googled top 100 action movies of all time quite a few of these were on it. Just not a genre of action movie that fully appeals to me.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JP View Post
    Action film though?

Didn't make my list.
    I think it belongs in the action genre for sure. It's literally called an ACTION ADVENTURE film.

Mentioned
    290 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    It didn't make my list either but I can see why it made other lists. When I googled top 100 action movies of all time quite a few of these were on it. Just not a genre of action movie that fully appeals to me.
    I saw the original a few times but after that maybe the rest of the series once. I honestly can't remember much after the first movie.

I didn't Google any I just went with what popped in my brain. 80% of my list comes from the 80s/90s.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Bourne never clicked with me, it’s influence was pretty wide spread so I guess it deserves its place.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw the original a few times but after that maybe the rest of the series once. I honestly can't remember much after the first movie.

I didn't Google any I just went with what popped in my brain. 80% of my list comes from the 80s/90s.
    I had to google because some of my choices I wasn't sure if they were considered action movies or not lol.

Mentioned
    290 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    I had to google because some of my choices I wasn't sure if they were considered action movies or not lol.
    Yeah I hear that. I feel like my list is definatley not just action but probably would be viewed as action sci fi or something to that range. I didn't include any Star Wars movies, for example, (I was tempted to put Empire on my list but felt it didn't belong) or anything to that extent but did include some that have out there plots. I feel like it's a fine line with action because there are so many sub genres that you can tack on to action (action comedy, action sci fi, action drama, action adventure etc). I also did my list last second laying in bed early the morning it was said to be due so whatever popped in my brain first got listed. My number one/two was never in doubt though. I'd say those are true blue action flicks.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I hear that. I feel like my list is definatley not just action but probably would be viewed as action sci fi or something to that range. I didn't include any Star Wars movies, for example, (I was tempted to put Empire on my list but felt it didn't belong) or anything to that extent but did include some that have out there plots. I feel like it's a fine line with action because there are so many sub genres that you can tack on to action (action comedy, action sci fi, action drama, action adventure etc). I also did my list last second laying in bed early the morning it was said to be due so whatever popped in my brain first got listed. My number one/two was never in doubt though. I'd say those are true blue action flicks.
    See, when I was thinking of movies like (spoiler alert) that I put on my list such as Empire Strikes Back, I had to make sure I saw the word ACTION lol. That's why when someone was like "Would a comic book movie be eligible" I said why not because like with music, a metal band is still ultimately a rock band. If you went to the video store, you would find The Matrix and Capt America on the action shelf. ET for example I don't think we'd see on the action shelf as it's purely a sci-fi movie. But Star Wars, while a sci fi movie, has so much action it definitely fits the category.

Mentioned
    290 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    There is definatley action in it and I can see your point. In my mind I just felt it would be number 1 on my list of sci fi movies (it is one of my all time favs) so I didn't include it. I'm not disagreeing with your Metal/Rock example because Metal absolutely came from Rock. My criteria was movies that had heavy gun play, chase scenes and that took place (mostly) on Earth. I tried to have a nice mix of sub genres (one comic book hero movie, one outer space movie for example). The only movie I picked that has no scene on Earth is Aliens because I feel like Ripley was a bad ass action hero and the amount of gun play in it tends for me to think of it as more action less sci fi. Plus I ranked it at the bottom because I just couldn't think of more at the time. I could see people's argument that it might be more sci fi than action but machine guns a plenty in that flick, not like the original that I would say is sci fi horror. That's the one from my list I would gladly switch out. I've thought of three or four since I made my list that in my mind might deserve to be there more because, like Empire, Aliens would be right at the top of a sci fi list.

Either way, I love movies and love talking flicks so this thread is a A+ from me.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is definatley action in it and I can see your point. In my mind I just felt it would be number 1 on my list of sci fi movies (it is one of my all time favs) so I didn't include it. I'm not disagreeing with your Metal/Rock example because Metal absolutely came from Rock. My criteria was movies that had heavy gun play, chase scenes and that took place (mostly) on Earth. I tried to have a nice mix of sub genres (one comic book hero movie, one outer space movie for example). The only movie I picked that has no scene on Earth is Aliens because I feel like Ripley was a bad ass action hero and the amount of gun play in it tends for me to think of it as more action less sci fi. Plus I ranked it at the bottom because I just couldn't think of more at the time. I could see people's argument that it might be more sci fi than action but machine guns a plenty in that flick, not like the original that I would say is sci fi horror. That's the one from my list I would gladly switch out. I've thought of three or four since I made my list that in my mind might deserve to be there more because, like Empire, Aliens would be right at the top of a sci fi list.

Either way, I love movies and love talking flicks so this thread is a A+ from me.
    I agree dude I have quite a few movies that could be at the top of a sub genre easily.

Fuck......... the anticipation for #9 is getting to me. I hope it's Beastmaster.

Mentioned
    290 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Spoiler my number 9 is Aliens. Ripley is awesome. Actually named my beagle Ripley. I have two cats as well named Riggs and Murtaugh. Those two are always fucking my house up, I feel like the boss in Lethal Weapon always yelling at them!

Didn't even think of Beastmaster. That's another that slipped my mind.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spoiler my number 9 is Aliens. Ripley is awesome. Actually named my beagle Ripley. I have two cats as well named Riggs and Murtaugh. Those two are always fucking my house up, I feel like the boss in Lethal Weapon always yelling at them!

I didn't add it to my list but I will admit that if I could re-do my list, Lethal Weapon might make it on that top 10. I thought about Beverly Hills Cop but A-couldn't narrow down which I liked the most and B-didn't think there was enough real action to justify it being a top 10 action movie of all time.

Mentioned
    290 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Yeah, Beverly Hills Cop is a classic but too many to rank above it. Action comedys though, it goes right to the top.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’d fight tooth and nail that Aliens doesn’t belong in the action category, so I’m looking forward to that debate/discussion.

Mentioned
    290 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I’d fight tooth and nail that Aliens doesn’t belong in the action category, so I’m looking forward to that debate/discussion.
    Like I said above it was late when I churned my list out. I can see why people wouldn't agree with it but I do feel like Ripley belongs right up there with Sarah Connor as one of the top female action characters. It was my ninth choice because in my view isn't a straight action flick but is a very action heavy sci fi movie. It would be in my I'd say top 3 or 4 sci fi movies. If I did my list over and had thought on it a bit longer it probably wouldn't have made my ten. I neglected solid action movies like Speed, Escape From N.Y. and Desperado but wanted to get a list in by the 18th like was requested so I could be involved. I'd love to hear your points though so feel free to lay them out.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bourne Ultimatum was 7th on my list. Probably should have gone higher. The Waterloo sequence is a masterclass of direction and editing. It has the best Bourne vs Asset fight of the series. It’s extremely well paced for having so much tension and such long set-pieces. John Powell’s score is distinctive and gets you pumped as always. And it’s one of a handful of films which closes out a trilogy in a truly satisfying way - narratively, thematically and topping the action in he previous films - with a final shot that is perfect. I saw it in a packed theatre in Vegas and everyone was completely jazzed as Moby was blaring at the end.

Intercontinental Champion Melly's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Saw two or so back in the day. Don't remember all the details, but did think it was pretty good.

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Number 9 is up....

Last edited by Romford Pele; August 23rd, 2019 at 10:02 AM.

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My thoughts on this. This wasn't in my top 10.

I have actually only seen this once or maybe twice, but I do remember really enjoying it. If I did a top 20 I would probably put it in but I think I need to go back and see it again.

People's thoughts?

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    Kill Bill films can be added to my list of stuff not seen.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Have you watched Terminator 2 yet?

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    No, but the Blu-ray arrived this week!

I'll re-watch Terminator first, maybe tomorrow night, and then get to it.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    I've pissed her off now. Suggested watching The Terminator tomorrow night. I keep forgetting it's our wedding anniversary meal tomorrow night. Keep forgetting. Didn't get her a card either.

Our next film together may have to be Love Actually or Dirty Dancing.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a fan. Can't point out any one reason I didn't like it, but I didn't. I actually didn't see it until I watched it with my ex. She loved it and I was bored out of my mind.

0-2. Neither of the first two have been on my list.

Donde esta la biblioteca Pablo Diablo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    So obviously I'm going to bat for this movie. Kill Bill is at times my favourite movie of all time. I debated putting the two movies together as one (as was intended) in fact the best quote that RP gives is actually from Vol 2 (although in Vol 1 they play it at the end during the "teaser" segment where they show parts of the second movie). But since this was for action film I think Vol 1 met the criteria best.

This movie was my first real exposure to Tarantino. I think I had seen bits of Pulp Fiction at home before, but this was the first time I'd gone to the theater to see one of his movies and I left in complete awe. I had no hesitation once starting my list of putting this number one. The Dojo fight scene against the Crazy 88 and then against GoGo. It's ridiculously over the top, but that's not a negative for me. I'm not blind to the fact that many people will see this movie and be turned off by the excessive gore, it's definitely not for everyone. But for me when I think of the best action movie it's this. The music. The dialogue. The tropes. The fights. The story. I love it.

As an aside RP, what's the total number of lists you got in?

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    I like Kill Bill, but Tarantino is a bit niche in his homages and references, unlike something like Stranger Things which does a similar thing but feels much more accessible.
    Kill Bill doesn’t instantly spring to mind when I think Action Movie either, I won’t deny it is one but for me it must just lack a certain X factor.
    That Crazy 88 fight though, it’s worth watching for that alone.

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo Diablo View Post
    So obviously I'm going to bat for this movie. Kill Bill is at times my favourite movie of all time. I debated putting the two movies together as one (as was intended) in fact the best quote that RP gives is actually from Vol 2 (although in Vol 1 they play it at the end during the "teaser" segment where they show parts of the second movie). But since this was for action film I think Vol 1 met the criteria best.

This movie was my first real exposure to Tarantino. I think I had seen bits of Pulp Fiction at home before, but this was the first time I'd gone to the theater to see one of his movies and I left in complete awe. I had no hesitation once starting my list of putting this number one. The Dojo fight scene against the Crazy 88 and then against GoGo. It's ridiculously over the top, but that's not a negative for me. I'm not blind to the fact that many people will see this movie and be turned off by the excessive gore, it's definitely not for everyone. But for me when I think of the best action movie it's this. The music. The dialogue. The tropes. The fights. The story. I love it.

As an aside RP, what's the total number of lists you got in?
    Yes you are right about the quote, though I try and forget Part 2 I thought it was awful

Got 25 lists in. FYI - the next spot (8) is actually two films tied on the same points.

So technically we are reviewing 11 films, not 10. I made the call so we include the Bourne Ultimatum at 10, meh.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    I've pissed her off now. Suggested watching The Terminator tomorrow night. I keep forgetting it's our wedding anniversary meal tomorrow night. Keep forgetting. Didn't get her a card either.

Our next film together may have to be Love Actually or Dirty Dancing.
    I'd suggest getting a divorce and marrying someone who would watch Terminator on a wedding anniversary

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I'd suggest getting a divorce and marrying someone who would watch Terminator on a wedding anniversary
    Ha, in fairness, our Anniversary was Tuesday and she spent the evening at yoga and I watched Luton Town lose to Sheffield Wednesday in the footie. But we'd spent the day together and we have our meal and cocktails tomorrow night.

On topic, I'll be pleased if I've seen 6 or 7 of the top 10 here. So far, 1 out of 2.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I've seen both of these films so far, but wouldn't have ever considered them for my top action movies of all time list. Guess I'd include Bourne as a spy film, and Kill Bill as a revenge film, but those are umbrellas under the action genre I suppose. Just not what comes to mind when I think action Still, both were great films.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    Off topic slightly, but is the 4th Bourne film worth a watch? Original trilogy, I adored. Then there was that other Bourne film that doesn't count, and I didn't see, but then Matt Damon did that last one.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo Diablo View Post
    The music. The dialogue. The tropes. The fights. The story. I love it.
    What he said. I love Kill Bill and prefer Part 1. I would love to see The Whole Bloody Affair some day.

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Fro View Post
    What he said. I love Kill Bill and prefer Part 1. I would love to see The Whole Bloody Affair some day.
    I remember when the rumours of The Whole Bloody Affair coming out back in 2009. Maybe one day it will happen. I know they did some special screenings in LA.

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off topic slightly, but is the 4th Bourne film worth a watch? Original trilogy, I adored. Then there was that other Bourne film that doesn't count, and I didn't see, but then Matt Damon did that last one.
    Hmm its ok. I would say it is watchable as Matt Damon and Tommy Lee Jones (as always) are good in it. But in my view it is nowhere near as good as the first three. Decent, not great and a bit perplexing why it needed to be made in truth.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Romford Pele View Post
    Hmm its ok. I would say it is watchable as Matt Damon and Tommy Lee Jones (as always) are good in it. But in my view it is nowhere near as good as the first three. Decent, not great and a bit perplexing why it needed to be made in truth.
    Cash grab, just like 90% of every fucking movie these days.

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joint 8th....

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh man Kill Bill is the fucking shit. I don't know if I agree that it's a top 10 Action movie, but I'm not negative to the idea. In terms of American martial arts movies, definitely one of the all time greats. The House of Blue Leaves=one of my favorite fight scenes of all time.

And everyone wants to have a Pussy Wagon.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speed was dope. Another movie I don't know if I'd consider it a top 10, but damn it made a shit ton of money and really cemented Sandra Bullock as an actress to look out for in the future.

It was so intense, so for that I give it major props.

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some quick thoughts on Speed. I remember it being enjoyable, and I have probably watched it a couple of times.

Reeves was ok, but I thought Sandra Bullock and Dennis Hopper really made it stand out. You could argue this made Bullocks career. The action scenes were very good, but I don't remember feeling blown away (pun) by it and hence I couldn't put it in my top 10. Good film though.

As a side point, this may have been the first '15' certificate film I saw in the cinema. I managed to procure some form of fake ID (I was 13 at the time) and for some reason thought a clip on earing would help me look older. My friends rightly took the piss out of me for it for many years after. What an idiot

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am gonna try and get one more in this afternoon as I wont be able to update again until next Tuesday earliest. Then will try and 3/4 more up next week.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Speed is fantastic, glad to see it in the list.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    Speed just squeezed in for me at 10.

'I think it was called the bus that couldn't slow down'.

Yeah, this was probably the first time I saw Reeves, because of course I haven't seen Bill and Ted. I really like this film. All action, good performances and a totally original idea. I love a film that's original. Man, I probably haven't seen this film in over 10 years.

I've always wanted to see Speed 2, you know, for shits and giggles. Wasn't it widely regarded as the worst film ever made when it came out?

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I've always wanted to see Speed 2, you know, for shits and giggles. Wasn't it widely regarded as the worst film ever made when it came out?
    I'm on the same boat (don't you just love puns!), I've always wanted to see Speed 2. Maybe I have and just forgotten it. I really don't know. I just know it takes place on a cruise ship.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speed is a classic. Pop quiz hot shot.

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never seen Speed 2 and have no intention of doing so. @Murphy you have seen Bill and Ted?! Get on them mate

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speed is awesome. Love it. Definitely a great action flick. I think it was my #9.

Speed 2 is terrible.

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Other joint 8th...

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you cant tell from the above I am huge fucking fan of this film. This isn't just my second favourite action film, this is in my top 5 of all time films.

I don't think this film can be improved quite honestly. The acting and directing is top notch, the cast is top class from top to bottom. I must have watched this film 20+ times and never tired of it.

The end of it as well is just perfect. What a fucking film.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I haven't seen Heat since 1995, but I've been meaning to check it out again. I don't remember it all to be honest

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    I haven't seen Heat since 1995, but I've been meaning to check it out again. I don't remember it all to be honest
    Same as that, Donald. My young self really liked it, but that was some time ago. I think I'd appreciate it more now. I remember the scene in the diner. I mean, of course. Pacino and De Niro.

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So so far we have...

10) The Bourne Ultimatum
    9) Kill Bill Volume 1
    8) Speed (joint)
    8) Heat (joint)

Pretty strong line up so far...

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Standout movie. Loved it the first time I saw it and appreciate it even more now I think.

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah agreed. Think I was 15 when I first saw it and I liked it. Then I watched it again and liked it even more. The more I watch it the more I appreciate it.

Mentioned
    290 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Loved Kill Bill Vol. 1. Another I spaced on while making my list but a great watch none the less. Vol. 2 was ok but I definitely liked 1 more than 2.

Speed was awesome. Thinking back I think this was my first "R" movie seen in theaters. Speed 2 was the drizzles. My kids love movie nights and we watched the original and their attention was held. We tried watching the sequel and they couldn't last 20 minutes. Kids can be tough critics sometimes.

I think I've seen Heat once. Another I should go back and watch with fresh eyes.

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Heat is a movie I completely forgot about when making my list, probably because it's one I've only seen once and not since. Like many others here I think it deserves a re-watch.

Speed was a good shout too.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So so far we have...

10) The Bourne Ultimatum
    9) Kill Bill Volume 1
    8) Speed (joint)
    8) Heat (joint)

Pretty strong line up so far...
    I'm loving it.

I've never seen Heat. Or at least all of it. I've seen the very end, like the last 15-20 minutes and I just remember whoever was watching it telling me that I missed a great movie and shouldn't be watching the end lol.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    I love Heat. It is not an Action Movie.

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What would you class it as?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Heist/Crime drama

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As soon as I saw this thread, Speed was my number one. I adore the film. It encompasses everything you want in an action film - inventive set-pieces, relentless pace, gloriously over-the-top villain with memorable one-liners, a constant stream of problems not unlike a disaster film, the buddy-cop element between Jack and Harry and a great theme from Mark Mancina.

Heat for me is a crime drama with an outstanding action scene. Ten minutes of ear-rattling cinema that redefined shoot-outs. Kill Bill never crossed my mind as I’m not a big Tarantino fan. But it’s definitely one of his better movies and has some iconic action.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In defense of Heat, while it wasn't on my list, out of what, 23 lists it was on 8 of them? That's almost a 3rd of the lists so I have to say while you could break it down into a sub genre of action movies, still an action movie to a lot of people here.

The sub genre break down is going to lead to a lot of fun debates as we're seeing with Heat. I love it.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    Kill Bill vol 1 was on my list as well. From the old Klingon proverb to Does she know her daughter is alive, it is a stylish fuel blown action film of awesome. I absolutely love this film.

Bagel
    Both Heat and Speed were in my top 15, just not top 10. I did a top 25 to narrow it down to 10, Bourne Supremacy was the only one I had in the top 20. By far my favorite of the 4 (5?)

Intercontinental Champion Melly's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Never seen Speed or Heat. Saw Kill Bill a long time, it stood out, but not on my list.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heat isn't action in my mind. Didn't even consider it for that reason. Great movie, and I'm not sad to see it on the list, just surprised.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Speed is great up until they get off the bus, it loses all momentum then.

The Rosk
    Heat is in here? Cool, looking forward to seeing Atlas Shrugged in there next.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    australia
    Didn't think of Speed, but am glad it made the list.

It has one of my favourite comedic lines in an action film.

"Fuck Me!"
    "Oh Darn".

Speaking of Keanu films, I hope Point Break is getting some love...

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No 7 is up...

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My thoughts. I think I have only seen this once or twice, and this was during the 90s when ITV (UK channel) would cut out a lot of the gore. Reading the synopsis of this, I definitely missed out some of the more extreme action for this.

Nevertheless, I do remember enjoying it and thinking it was a very entertaining film, but this wasn't in my top 10 - I need to go back and watch this one.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Predator is the tits.

"I ain't got time to bleed."
    "What's the matter? The CIA got you pushing too many pencils? "

People with miniguns, mid-air arm wrestles, a Shane Black polished script, a bad guy that's a cross between a Terminator and a Xenomorph, the minigun. All the testosterone from the 80's, literally all of it. What's not to like?
    Some of the films on this list arguably aren't Action Movies, this could be no more Action Movie.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    In fact if you don't like this I will fight you.

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't forget the minigun.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Never forget Ol’ Painless.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Predator is AMAZING.

Did anyone ever play Alien v Predator for the Atari Jaguar system back in the 90's? IMO, the greatest video game of all time.

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Number 6....

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This was number 8 on my list. I love this film, it is quite dark and disturbing for an action film, but that just seems to add to it. I love the lengths that Bryan goes to, the lines he crosses to get his daughter back.

Great, great action film.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    All Taken is, is one line from a phone call and then Liam Neesson slowly doing stuff with 75 cuts every 3 seconds.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Huge fan of Taken. Didn't expect it to be nearly as good as it is the first time I saw it. I think this was actually #6 on my list.

I love the line he says he when's torturing Marko, about leaving the electricity on until they shut it off for lack of payment.

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Now isn't the time for dick measuring Stuart!"

Love that line.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    When is?

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Predator is definitely one of the purest action films. Should probably have earned a spot on my list over some of my lower ones. But I don’t remember the movie well enough so I think that’s why it slipped my mind.

Taken I dropped off just at the end. Probably unfairly from how much I disliked the sequel. But the first one came out of nowhere and was a very enjoyable romp.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Taken was definitely cool. Top 10? Maybe. I actually found Liam Neeson in "Next of Kin" to be a bigger bad ass. Liam Neeson really is an underrated action movie actor imo. He does a great job every time but I just think he's slept on because he wasn't one of the icons of the 80's and 90's. And he's not as good looking as Statham...which makes me sad that we probably won't see a single one of his movies in this countdown but that's ok, he could probably legit beat everyone's ass we've mentioned so far lol.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Now isn't the time for dick measuring Stuart!"

Love that line.
    That's a great one too!

And the whole scene with the translator is pretty darkly funny.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I've never seen Predator, but I have seen the AVP movies and the one with Adrian Brody.

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah....they are awful in comparison to the original Predator film.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never seen Predator, but I have seen the AVP movies and the one with Adrian Brody.
    You need to see Predator 1 for sure, #2 is actually pretty fuckin cool it has Bill Paxton in it with Danny Glover as the lead ass kicker. Pretty sure the bad ass chick from Aliens, Vasquez, is in it as Paxton's partner. Gary Busey is the bad guy, which is odd when you think that normally the Predator is the #1 bad guy but not here.

But #1 is a MUST SEE movie. Jesse the Body steals the show but IMO this is one of Arnold's absolute best movies.