Intercontinental Champion Melly's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada

Listening Group Week 4: Homogenic by Bjork

Bjork “Homogenic.”

Back in 2006 I decided on a whim to look up Amazon reviews of Bjorks albums while there was a lull at work. It was then decided I’d pick up the latest album “Homogenic” from the store on the way home and I have been a fan since! I had known of her previously, my main idea of her was seeing her in the famous swan dress and thinking she was an odd one.

Bjork is one of a kind. Not everybody will hear the beauty in her voice or lyrics. She tends to go against the grain, she truly does what she wants and continues to evolve over the years. I picked this album because it is the first one I listened to in full and it hooked me right off the bat with “Hunter.” The video for Hunter is still one of my absolute favorite videos of hers, if not one of my all time favorites. I feel you get a mix of emotions and sounds with this album, hard beats, floaty airy lyrics, pulsing rhythms and varying textures of Bjork’s incredible voice.

<font color="#000000"><span style="font-family: Arial">

This album was a departure from her previous albums and got rave reviews and years later is regarded as one of the best electronic albums ever made.

I realized today there are two versions of the album, one the original release and another is the U.S. Internet version. A few of the songs are different in terms of style ( Bachlorette on one, All Is Full Of Love and Immature on the other) but I don’t think it really matters. All 3 tracks are amazing whichever version you find.

My favorite Bjork albums aside this one are Vespertine (very soft, like a winter snow globe is the image I get when I play it), Post (more electronic) and Utopia (her latest one, very beautiful and flowy.)

Enjoy the weirdness and genius of Bjork!!
    Last edited by Melly; July 24th, 2019 at 10:14 AM.

Defiance is a four letter
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm off out shortly, so I'm going to have to listen to this in stages, but I am loving what I've heard so far.

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    @JP wonderful!

Administrator
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is an absolutely stunning album. I’ve listened to a ton of Bjork before, but somehow missed this one. So happy you recommended it.

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    @Cewsh. Great!

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Not gonna lie, Bjork is a challenge. Saw her live at Bestival a few years back, I couldn’t tell if she actually did different songs or if it was just a really long weird sound check.

The Rosk
    Can’t bloody wait for this.

The Rosk
    This looks to be the album she wrote after that stalker killed himself on camera and sent a mail bomb to her house? Fuck me. Double whammy.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    This one of the few electronic driven albums I enjoy. Really brilliant record and we play this at the house often. going to another top to bottom listen tonight.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    australia
    Quote Originally Posted by The Beer Monster View Post
    Not gonna lie, Bjork is a challenge.
    This is kind of the thought I had when I saw the thread this morning. Her voice doesn't do it for me and the music isn't my thing... but I put it on anyway.

There was something immediately familiar about some of the sound from Hunter and it took me a while to realise that one of my favourite albums from 15 or so years later by Steven Wilson had a track with a similar electronic drum sound to it. I really like his work, so I persisted. Sort of glad I did - I really like the music but I still find her voice far too grating. When it's more the quiet talking, that's fine, good even. But then she starts wailing and my ears want to bleed. This will be seen as quiet an ironic statement later on given the music I listen to and am probably going to recommend but I can't disconnect her wailing from the rest of the good stuff and unfortunately her voice is often the main feature of the songs.

I can count on one hand the number of female vocalists that I actually like, so this wasn't a huge surprise to me. If I could put Steven Wilson on all of her tracks, this would be an instant addition to my collection.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I've had it on for the last 20 minutes. Its really even better than I remember and more familiar than I remember. I know the whole record word for word.

I think this may have been in rotation at one of my early workplaces. Probably my favorite listening group selection so far.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    How do I get in line for this? @The Rosk

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rosk View Post
    This looks to be the album she wrote after that stalker killed himself on camera and sent a mail bomb to her house? Fuck me. Double whammy.
    It is. Reading about it on wikipedia is really interesting.

Glad so many of you are enjoying it!
    @The Beer Monster and @Grimario I completely understand, it isn't everyone's cup of tea. Looked up the setlist for the festival you saw, it was mainly songs from Biophilia which is my least favorite Bjork album.
    Last edited by Melly; July 24th, 2019 at 11:54 PM.

The Rosk
    Quote Originally Posted by GOLDBERG'S BEST FRIEND View Post
    How do I get in line for this? @The Rosk
    You can get in the queue as long as you post feedback each week. For those that don’t post feedback, they won’t get a go. Fair enough really.

Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been a fan of Bjork since her Sugarcubes days so this one wont be too hard for me to get through.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    Incredible album, love bjork and as GBF said this is a near perfect album. The production is stunning and her vocals are the stuff dreams are made of.

All full of love is my favourite track but tbh I prefer the single remix to the album one.

Bjork reminds a challenging and wonderful artist. I love the new stuff too with Arca it's seriously amazing. Also the she has a couple of apps that run alongside the newer albums that are so much fun.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rosk View Post
    You can get in the queue as long as you post feedback each week. For those that don’t post feedback, they won’t get a go. Fair enough really.
    Ok guy. thanks for the vague answer. Lemme know when I have commented enough to qualify.

The Rosk
    It’s literally not vague.

Simon
    Massive philistine here but I just do not get Bjork at all, so this should be interesting. With that in mind, I'm gonna do a 'live' review to see if my mind can be changed by listening to an album of hers in full.

The first track changes nothing for me, I just find it weird and baffling and a bit creepy, which I presume is the point an extent. I can appreciate it from a musical point of view - the layering of melodies is technically impressive - but I can't honestly say I enjoy it in any emotional way.

And yet...the second track opens me up to her immediately. Only a bit, but it's definitely more than I've ever warmed to her before. The strings are beautiful and somehow meld nicely with the odd, electro drums. And her voice, fuck my hole it is beautiful when she hits those high notes. Haven't got a fucking clue what she's on about in the lyrics, but I think that's more a case of her unusual singing rhythm than them being particularly obtuse.

Track three, back to the odd, haunting vibe. It sounds like incidental music from Heroes, which is no bad thing musically but doesn't really stand up as a song. I just find it a bit plodding, slow without feeling meaningful. Fourth track, not a fan either - not awful, but it sounds like the sort of trip-hop that Portishead do with far more impact. I love the distorted drums and synths on All Neon Like, but it feels like they've been taken from two good songs and smashed together to make one song that doesn't work, and it feels like I'm hearing the exact same vocals on every track.

More enjoyable crunchy distorted drums on track six, but the melody sounds like something off a Game Boy game and I can't get on board with the electro stings that pepper the track. Again I was utterly bored by the same vocal style, but then out of nowhere she goes into a much more emotional, angry voice that sounds *incredible*, her voice cracking as she sings "I dare you to take me on, I dare you to show me your palms" and then moving into a roar for the next lines, "I'm so bored with these cowards, that say they want then can't handle"These little moments really blow me away, to the extent that I'm glad I'm listening to the album despite actively disliking the vast majority of it.

More weirdness on Immature, an insistent bhangra beat which to my ear just doesn't go with the strings in the background. The next track, Alarm Call, is more up my street, with something approximating a 90s boom bap beat and Bjork's voice going into a higher register with a gravelly element to her voice. In this mode I absolutely love her voice, I just wish I heard more of it. It probably sums up my pop leanings that this is one of my favourite tracks on the album, and it sounds like a slightly oddball Alanis Morrissette track.

Pluto - nah. Too weird mate.

Final track, All Is Full Of Love. Immediately I have high hopes, with dreamy strings and breathy synths giving it a cloud-like atmosphere. But then it just sort of...carries on. It doesn't build to anything, it just sort of sits there like a meditation instrumental, soothing and vaguely pleasant but feeling somehow insufficient and empty.

And that's that. There's no doubt that Bjork is talented, inventive and in possession of a fabulous voice, but I have to say I really struggled with this. That said, I'm glad I listened to it because the moments I did enjoy - Joga, Alarm Call, that one incredible section in 5 Years - were really great, and I'm sure if I made time to listen again, I'd find more moments that I liked.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    I was thinking Game Boy as well.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't realize until I had finished that the album was on random so I'm not sure how the album was intended to play as a whole, but I'd be surprised if it improves.

Love the music and I think it's brilliant at times. Haven't fully made my mind up on her voice. At times it just sounds like it clashes with the music beyond a point of enjoyment, but for the most part it's quite beautiful. It takes something special to sell me on female singers, so I think she will only grow on me more in the future.

I haven't explored too deep into the electronic scene so this album was a bit of a new experience to me. It's certainly peaked my interest for more Bjork, and most likely will expand my tastes a bit if there's quality music I'm missing. Good work Melly.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    So track 1 is easily the best on the album, I actually like this one. She does have a good voice. I can’t get on with most of the rest of it though. Bjork to me seems like one of those acts you get on Jools Holland in between the indie guitar band and the Senegalese drum duo, the act that uses the screams of dolphins and a shopping trolley as instruments with John Cooper Clarke poetry translated in to Welsh, other people like it and find it interesting, where I think I maybe just dont get it.
    Last edited by The Beer Monster; July 26th, 2019 at 4:36 AM.

Simon
    So track 1 is easily the best on the album, I actually like this one. She does have a good voice. I can’t get on with most of the rest of it though. Bjork to me seems like one of those acts you get on Jools Holland in between the indie guitar band and the Senegalese drum duo, the act that uses the screams of dolphins and a shopping trolley as instruments with John Cooper Clarke poetry translated in to Welsh, other people like it and find it interesting, where I think I maybe I just dont get it.
    ahahahaha

The Rosk
    I can’t fucking wait for TBM’s go. might fast track him.

WWF Champion
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You just know it's going to be The Very Best of the Eagles.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Bloody good album that.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    So track 1 is easily the best on the album, I actually like this one. She does have a good voice. I can’t get on with most of the rest of it though. Bjork to me seems like one of those acts you get on Jools Holland in between the indie guitar band and the Senegalese drum duo, the act that uses the screams of dolphins and a shopping trolley as instruments with John Cooper Clarke poetry translated in to Welsh, other people like it and find it interesting, where I think I maybe just dont get it.
    Incredible!!

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    @The Beer Monster All good.

The Rosk
    I’m so glad we’re doing this because I’ve always held off from giving Bjork a go. From an outsider’s perspective I always assumed she was bollocks and just someone who screamed shit while a load of piccolos and glass shattered in the background. The only song I was really aware of was It’s Oh So Quiet.

But I have to say I truly loved this album. Not usually my thing at all, but I was a little mesmerised at times. A couple of duds are on there, but on the whole it blended together really beautifully, and I loved the whole “passionate human voice vs man made electronic” vibe that persists throughout. Gives it a truly epic background.

Hunter - love this. The build and the drums are stunning.

Joga - form is continuing. Strings blend nicely. Her voice sits gorgeously here.

Unravel - a bit of a nothing song this one compared to the first two tbh

Bachelorette - another one with a great vocal matching a mesmerising beat. Feels like a strong lead James Bond song...!

All Neon Like - found myself slapping my thighs against this growing beat. Okay, I’m in. I feel like I’m enjoying this because I’m in a good mood, it’s a Saturday morning, I’ve got a coffee in hand, weekend ahead of me. Not sure if I was in a low mood that it would be my cup of tea, but it is right now.

5 years - this is cool. Love the whole feeling of this.

Immature - bit plodding and out of place

Alarm Call - I recognise this one. Feels like the first “single” on the album if that makes sense - not taking away from the work as a whole. Loved her growling and the echoes. Feels like this is different from the rest of what I’ve listened to thus far.

Pluto - this is what I worried Bjork would be like all the time. Screaming against ridiculous music making no sense and hurting the ears. Thankfully it’s the only time thus far on the album that it’s happened. Delete.

All is full of love - the only time it’s got me singing along - I’ve definitely heard this one a few times before, and a great way to close off the album.

Thanks @Melly. This is exactly what I wanted to do by starting this group, and I’m definitely going to be listening to the rest of her stuff as a result. Awesome.
    Last edited by The Rosk; July 29th, 2019 at 8:59 AM.

Football manager? Peter Griffin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Ok so this was not my thing at all. I did enjoy Joga but the rest was meh for me. The most positive thing I can say is I didn't hate it

If someone had this on I wouldn't ask them to turn it off or anything (except Pluto, That was an abomination) but I am certainly not adding it to the playlist.

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll post something more detailed when I get the chance, but I've never listened to Bjork before (outside of the big singles) and I can confidently say I'm a convert.

It is majestic.

We haven’t become anything — we simply are as we are
    Mentioned
    331 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    usa
    Only a few songs in, big fan. Just finished up Unravel which I did know as a cover from an A'Cappella group before and it's pretty excellent. Looking forward to finishing this up later today. Opening stuff has been pretty sweet. Easy for me to listen to.

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Your responses make me so happy!

The Rosk
    Awaiting feedback from @BBF @Donald @Mik @wardy

Further feedback coming from @kdestiny @JP @MMH @Cewsh

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m listening to it now. I’m on holiday now so will get chance to start catching up on these albums.

Mentioned
    444 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Sorry for any delay, been an up and down week/weekend. I listened to this on the way in to work this morning.

Bjork is someone I've only ever known a handful of songs from, but never gave any of her albums a full listen. From this album, Homogenic, I've only heard one song before, Bachelorette, and that was my favorite from this album. I didn't think all the tracks were great, but they were all certainly good. My favorites were Joga, Bachelorette, 5 Years, and Pluto. This is certainly in my wheelhouse of what I normally listen to, so I will be checking out other Bjork albums in the future.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will caveat by saying that I generally have hated Bjork in the past, don’t think I have ever listened to an album of hers though:

Hunter - It was alright, inoffensive. Found that it didn’t really build to anything though. Could imagine it being sampled for some bbc cop drama.

Joga - I likes the use of strings, found the lyrics way too repetitive, but generally quite liked the song.

Unravel - I quite liked the arrangement on this one.

Bachelorette - favourite so far, sounds like a Bond song. Nice and epic. Catchy tune.

All Neon Like - It was okay, I didn’t mind it. Found it a bit wandering really.

5 Years - Sounded like a video game. Think the vocals were a bit flat. Too shouty for my liking.

Immature - It was a bit meh.

Alarm Call - Nicely different from the rest of the album, sounded much more mainstream, didn’t mind it.

Pluto - Hated it.

All Is Full Of Love - Big contrast from Pluto, it was fine, didn’t really go anywhere but it was pleasant enough.

Overall, I didn’t hate the album, but it is probably not one that I’ll ever listen to again.

The Rosk
    Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Bachelorette - favourite so far, sounds like a Bond song. Nice and epic. Catchy tune.
    Get your own opinion mate.

Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shall post my thoughts tonight

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ha, I actually read most of the posts in this thread but skimmed your reviews as the formatting was making my eyes bleed.

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Found this a really tough listen to be honest. Not my kind of thing at all and it took me about 8 goes to actually get through it.

What I will say is that Bachelorette would make a great Bond song.

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Bachelorette is a favorite it seems!

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Yeah but has she done anything that could be a Bond theme?

WWF Champion
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This was definitely the most challenging listen so far and I didn't really care for it at first, but after another couple of listens it grew on me. Hunter is the best track on the album and the next three are also good with Bachelorette giving off a distinct James Bond vibe. I also enjoyed Alarm Call which I thought sounded very 'quirky '90s pop', and while Pluto is absolutely terrible, I found the rest of the tunes listenable at worst.

For me, this was like listening to a Radiohead album. You probably need to hear each song a few times before you can unlock the good stuff and begin to appreciate it fully, and when you do, it's worth it. Cheers Melly.

Mentioned
    331 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    usa
    Really good stuff.

Good overall album with a lot of standout songs. Bachelorette did feel like not necessarily Bond but like it had more stakes if that makes any sense.

With that, wasn't huge on Pluto or All Neon Like, just kind of messed up the flow of the album that is really quite good otherwise.

First three tracks are very good and make for a great opening.

All is Full of Love is a nice way to end it. Despite a few songs gnat didn't really fit to me, I'm glad I was introduced to this and will be adding more Bjork to my library!

Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As mentioned earlier I am a big fan of Bjork's earlier work.

Birthday and Hit by the Sugarcubes were some of my favourite songs during my early teens and I loved Debut (The collaboration of Army of Me with Skin from Skunk Anansie is one of my favourite ever songs for example.)

I did somewhat go off her though when she released Big Time Sensuality. It pissed me off at the time that all my favourites were dabbling in techno music which I really dislike. Homogenic has always struck me as a techno type album so lets see...

Hunter starts the album off nicely, love the beat in the background, very moody and easy to listen to. Yeah not a bad start.

I remember Joga when it came out and I remember being disappointed by it compared to her past songs, its OK, nothing major.

Unravel is everything I don't like about Bjork. Its just long, whiny and boring.

Fun fact, I have never watched a James Bond film. So Bachelorette can be judged just on its music for me! It is very much along the lines of Play Dead which is a good thing. Good song but I keep waiting it to kick into another level with all the orchestral stuff and it never quite does.

All Neon Like is a bit dull really but has a tremendous beat.

I like 5 years. The 8 bit music is great. Quite an angry song if you listen to/decipher the lyrics too.

Immature, meh a bit like Unravel only better. Doesn't do anything or go anywhere of note.

I know Alarm Call and its probably my favourite track on the album purely because it sounds like the Bjork I know. It sounds like ti should fit right in to the Sugarcubes catalogue.

Pluto is a good attempt at doing something different but it doesn't quite work. More 8 bit console music on display. I can nod my head along to it without actually loving it. Infact bits of it are horrendous, bits of it are really good too though.

All is Full of Love is a really shit way to end an album. I hate albums ending on weak songs.

This was a weird one for me as realistically I will probably like this album more than most. However it's nowhere near as good as Life's Too Good or Debut so it feels a bit "meh" for me relatively speaking.

It lacks the punk of Birthday, the indie of Hit, the beauty of Venus as a Boy, the rock of Army of Me, the pop of Human Behavior, the majesty of Play Dead or even the dance vibe of Big Time Sensuality.

So yeah, I like Bjork, I do not love this album. but it's fine.

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mentioned earlier that I'd never really experience Bjork before. I wasn't really sure what to expect or whether I'd enjoy what I found.

From the fist song, Hunter, with it's synth, snare, distortion, strings and accordions (obviously, I mean, why not?) it's clear I've missed out on something I was naturally inclined to love for a very long time. It screams of being lost, the lyrics and delivery not fitting with the music. It's almost the song equivalent of a mask, trying to put forward one thing while feeling another.

Joga carries that theme going, melancholy, comfort and panic all fighting it out for dominance and merging to create something special. The distortion effects in this are a little too over powering during the chorus though.

The quality remains but the mood and emotional complexity changes with unravel. Instead of conflicting and changing emotion, it is filled with despondency. It's a tough listen, but in a good way.

Bachelorhette is alright, but the weakest on the album up to this point. It's not as dynamic or inventive as what came before and it doesn't really connect. It feels like it goes on and on. Would make a decent Austin Powers anthem though.

Back on track with All Neon Like. The contradiction in simplicity and stylistic approach almost puts you at unease. Like all the songs but one so far, this really speaks to me. There's a comfort in the sporadic styles, conflicting themes and emotions.

I feel I should like 5 years a bit more than I do, but I don't feel like the music compliments her incredible vocals on this. I really like the journey the song goes on and reaching the strings feels like a prize, but there isn't enough rage in the static or the electronic backing in the early part of the song.

Immature immediately acts a soothing tonic for the ears. Reminds me of a very slow, chilled out Bossa Nova like track. I like it, it's not very memorable, but it's placement on the album is perfect.

Please tell me that's a sample from Eternal, Just a Step From Heaven I can hear in Alarm Call. As for the song in general, sorry to say I think it's the weakest track on the album. It sounds very much like I expected Bjork to sound, but that's not necessarily a good thing. One of the best tings about listening to this has been its opening my ears to another side of Bjork which isn't this. This feels almost gimmicky and it's the most generic offering on the album. It's pretty standard 90's pop.

But Pluto is fucking outstanding. A mix of All LIke Neon and 5 Years, it's all over the place and amazing with it. That beat is pure Underworld, I'm two seconds away from screaming for a lager. Great beat, disturbing distortion, otherworldly use of her voice, this is brilliant.

I think most people will have already thought about what they might put forward as their choice. One of the ones flying round as a possibility for me is from M83 and All Is Full Of Love reminds me so much of their ability to create almost hypnotic, mesmerising sounds to make you drift into another mindset and enjoy the ride. There is a small difference, as to where I would expect them to build on that sensation, as where Bjork has one place with this she wants to be, but again, I love this.

One thing I hadn't expect was how emotional I'd feel listening to this. It's all over the place at times but it never feels like it's out of control. Brilliant album, thanks Melly.

you either die a hero... Morrison's Avatar
    or live long enough to see yourself become a dumdum.
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so i probably won't have as much to say here as i have the first three weeks.

so i think i've made clear so far, the early to mid-2000's was a period of rapid expansion in the breadth of my musical tastes. by 2004 i'm well into discovering and loving hip hop, classic rock, blues, jazz, alternative rock, funk, soul/r&b, as well as some more avant garde acts, namely those surrounding vocalist mike patton. i think anybody who has gotten into conversations and debates about 'greatest male vocalists' will have seen mike patton's name eventually get brought up as a contender. on another forum i used to post on i had a buddy who was a huge fan of mike patton, so i took a lot of his recommendations in regards to him and his material. another one of his favorite artists was bjork, who also gets a ton of attention in conversations about 'greatest vocalists' regardless of gender. this was mid-2004, leading into her release of medúlla that august. i had been aware of bjork already by that point thanks to the swan dress at the 2001 oscars ceremony, as well as seeing her videos for 'it's oh so quiet,' 'army of me,' 'venus as a boy,' and 'big time sensuality' during late video marathons on mtv and vh1, where they'd typically play weirder music and odder or more controversial videos, like 'paranoid android' and 'karma police' by radiohead, 'coffee & tv' by blur and 'firestarter' and 'smack my bitch up' by the prodigy. there's a few note sample from 'possibly maybe' off her album post that elicits immediate nostalgia for me because vh1 used it as a sample for the bumpers going in and out of commercials for their insomniac music theater block of programming they'd do for overnights on the channel. i'd just never dived into her stuff more, for whatever reason, but with a new album coming out in a couple months and my friend hyping her up to me in the midst of all the mike patton stuff, i decided to check her out. i was subscribed to rhapsody music then, so i had access to her albums through that, but since you couldn't download the songs and burn them to CD's or put them on your ipod, i was tethered to the computer. i can remember coming home from school and taking a nap laying on the floor by my computer desk with my bose headphones plugged in so i could listen to various stuff, her work included.

i don't think i was open-minded and versatile enough at that time to really appreciate and get into her, cause while i did buy medúlla on CD when it came out, i never found myself going back to her very often. i probably wanted to say i liked her more than i actually did, since to me, at that time, she was one of those artists you could throw out there to look cool or seem deep into music and separate yourself. by 2007 i stopped paying attention to anything new after volta came out, and much like indie rock, i didn't really do a second pass with her as the years went by to see if my tastes had changed enough to include her as a bigger piece. so having this dead in the mid-90's release of her's being forced onto me excited me more than the previous two choices, as she is someone that has always sat on my periphery, waiting to be checked out again, and i'm basically back to square one like in 2004, having forgotten almost all of what i tried listening to back then, and it really delivered.

i figured i'd enjoy this more than most other people here given i'd at least dabbled with her stuff before, but didn't expect to be enjoying this as much as i am. i guess heading in i was hoping to have turned a corner, but wasn't necessarily expecting it. despite how chaotic, sharp and distorted it can be at times, it feels like a very cohesive album. there is some harshness to some of the instrumentation and arrangements, less with her vocals, but i'm not bothered by it. since first listening to her back when, the band boris has become one of my favorites, and there's a definite harshness to a lot of their albums thanks to their droning and huge, cluttered soundscapes that go on forever, and i love the mind hole i can kind of sink into during those extended sections and just kind of let thought slip away and get lost. there's a bit of that kind of thing with some of the sound and production bjork goes for, but the scope isn't as long, so i can see how and why it would be jarring to people that aren't ready or looking for that kind of experience when throwing on an album.

'joga' is my favorite track. the strings are insane, the stilted breathiness of her voice during the verses leading into a more whimsical flow of the chorus is awesome, with the electronic accompaniment finally coming in and not overpowering the rise and intensity of the strings. 'bachelorette' is obviously ridiculous, and like almost everybody has said, it's dead on for a bond theme, which is a big plus for me. huge fan of the layered vocals on 'unravel.' '5 years' i'd think would be the most divisive song thanks to the coarse scratching that pounds in your left ear, which could definitely be disorienting. with that said, i love it. the hook line that's repeated throughout 'alarm call' is one of my favorite things off the album. only track i didn't really like was 'all neon like.' it was fairly boring and smack dab in the middle of two very big, very not boring songs that were really trying to do something. 'all neon like' just got lost cause of it.

very, very happy with this choice and i'll likely go over the rest of her discography soon. very cool feeling being reintroduced to something in this way.

Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol 'won't have much to say' my patoot.

Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    also, this album and the reaction to it has helped me decide what i'm choosing for my next selection once it comes around, if we don't end up doing some kind of theme for the second go.

Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and to be totally honest, i fully expected to be listening to an our lady peace or christina aguilera album when melly's time came around, so bjork came out of left field. this has been an absolute trip of a week for me.

Football manager? Peter Griffin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Quote Originally Posted by Morrison View Post
    and to be totally honest, i fully expected to be listening to an our lady peace or christina aguilera album when melly's time came around, so bjork came out of left field. this has been an absolute trip of a week for me.
    Just wait until my turn, Non of you fucks will see it coming

Mentioned
    331 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    usa
    I hope it’s Britney Bitch

Mentioned
    444 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I hope it's WWF The Music Vol. 3

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    @Morrison, Christina and OLP seemed too predictable Awesome review. Her recent album Utopia is brilliant too.

The Thinking Man's Idiot Simmo Fortyone's Avatar
    Andre giant once eat kid hot dog at arena. He then laugh. I never forgive that fat motherfucker for that
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did listen to this the other week but didn't share my thoughts at the time. Bjork has always been hit and miss for me, but I love the her constant reinvention of her style. This album was a solid "ok", didn't blow me away but I didn't dislike it. Have chucked it on my list of "albums to have on while I'm working" so it'll come up again at some point.

I didn't mind Pluto. A lot of Nine Inch Nails about it.

Donde esta la biblioteca Pablo Diablo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    I'm going to give this another listen. Did a blind listen first have now read everything everyone's said and will try to give it a second go. First go around wasn't as bad as I had built it up in my head to be though so that was a good start.

Donde esta la biblioteca Pablo Diablo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    So giving it another listen through I think Hunter and Joga were my favourites. But after that it loses its way for me. I know a lot of you like Bachelorette and I love the beat but her vocals on it don’t do it for me. 5 years was just too grating for me. I think JP said it best with Immature being soothing on the ears following 5 years. Alarm Call is pretty good and I probably like it for its “traditional” sound also that voice in the back that sounds like it could be MJ. Pluto falls into the type of her music that doesn’t do it for me. All is Full of Love ends it off with a track that is unique and not bad but can’t say whether I love it or not.

All in all an album I wouldn’t have listened to on my own but there are some I would keep around.