User Tag List

Thread: Recent gimmicks that were introduced and then quickly dropped

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Recent gimmicks that were introduced and then quickly dropped

Wrestling is filled with this sort of thing. We all know famous ones like the Shockmaster, but how about more recent examples. I keep thinking about Mojo and the mirror. They spent several months building him up with these vignettes just so he can end up on Main Event?

Other examples:

Make Darren Young Great Again

Germaphobe Dean

Chad Gable taking notes

Future additions:

What is Shelton Benjamin Thinking?

Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Gotta throw shit at the wall to see if it sticks. Most shit drizzles to the floor though.

Mentioned
    363 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mojo's still doing promos during the ads that are getting put on youtube for some reason.

Oh, Robert Roode's mustache has apparently reverted to a full beard, I've heard?

I was watching Figure It Out with Ryder and Hawkins the other day and Hawkins mentioned when he and Tyler Reks were a team and did a stripper gimmick one night only on SmackDown.

Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I want to say the Hawkins/Reks duo was just starting to build some steam, then Reks left. I thought Reks had some potential.

Mentioned
    505 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When Nattie had gas for like 3 weeks.

Emmalina

Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I hated the Natalya gas gimmick. She's a god dam Hart and didn't need farts to get over.

Mentioned
    363 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was the most entertaining thing Nattie's ever done.

Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by mth View Post
    Yeah, I remember people on here telling me that when it was happening. I still don't like it. To each, their own. Liked her promo this past Monday. They should just let her be a bad ass Hart, one of the last trained/grew up in The Dungeon, etc. and not have had people wondering if she had nuggets in her tights.

Couldn't resist using nugget there. I wonder if some how the Owen/nugget thing got brought up and bam! Fart gimmick.

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sad thing is I know you're being serious.

Mentioned
    363 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She's boring as hell otherwise. Just being part of the Hart family doesn't make you entertaining by default. She was on Photo Shoot a bit ago and they brought up the farting, she was displeased, but they showed some clips and they were still worth a chuckle. Maybe if she leaned harder into the crazy cat lady stuff, she would be able to make me care again.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She's boring as hell otherwise. Just being part of the Hart family doesn't make you entertaining by default. She was on Photo Shoot a bit ago and they brought up the farting, she was displeased, but they showed some clips and they were still worth a chuckle. Maybe if she leaned harder into the crazy cat lady stuff, she would be able to make me care again.
    Oh I'm not arguing whether she's boring or not. I'm just saying it was dumb as hell, the only people on this planet who should have been entertained by a grown ass woman farting would be people under the age of 7.

Grown adults finding any humor in that gimmick are probably why the WWE keep doing the horrendous "comedy" they dish out because people like you are all giddy over 30 year old women shitting themselves. And she didn't even shit herself they were like popcorn farts. Hilarious............

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mojo's still doing promos during the ads that are getting put on youtube for some reason.

Oh, Robert Roode's mustache has apparently reverted to a full beard, I've heard?

I was watching Figure It Out with Ryder and Hawkins the other day and Hawkins mentioned when he and Tyler Reks were a team and did a stripper gimmick one night only on SmackDown.
    How could I forget the glorious mustache? Maybe because they pushed him for about a month with it. He was the 2nd ever 24/7 Champ and Truth pinned him for his first title, so he's part of history, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazer View Post
    When Nattie had gas for like 3 weeks.

Emmalina
    Of course, Emmalina.

Nattie was supposed to be going for a dominatrix gimmick, but it never went farther than changing her ring gear.

Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I wouldn't say by default but there is merit there. I don't think they used to its potential.

I'm down for a crazy cat lady. Before Tyson's injury I remember him doing a promo, in nXt I think, talking about having to chew the cat's food for it because it was ill or something. I feel like Tyson could have made that work, I bet Natalya could too. Hell have Tyson with her and have them bring out cats. My step daughter isn't a huge fan of Nattie but sure as hell wanted her paws out, claws out shirt just because she loves cats.

Mentioned
    505 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The divas of doom type gimmick worked for Nattie. Beth was the superior one there, but Nattie can play badass. Not saying that she could do what Becky did.

Still don't think a long-term farting gimmick would be a viable answer.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I gotta disagree with this, because the most entertaining thing she's done is quite clearly her husband.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know she wasn't comfortable with the dominatrix gimmick. Not sure why but I remember seeing a preview or a snippet of Total Divas where she was like crying about it...but she always cries so whatever.

Recent gimmicks that were introduced and QUICKLY dropped......on the main roster? I think we may have covered them all lol.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    I know she wasn't comfortable with the dominatrix gimmick. Not sure why but I remember seeing a preview or a snippet of Total Divas where she was like crying about it...but she always cries so whatever.

Nattie claimed that she didn't know what a Dominatrix actually was, and when she went to a BDSM shop, it freaked her out. I find it incredibly hard to believe she was that clueless. I know Nattie is pretty out there, but that must have been scripted.

Recent gimmicks that were introduced and QUICKLY dropped......on the main roster? I think we may have covered them all lol.
    Not so fast, buster.

And when I say recent, I don't mean this year. It could be this decade. Just not the classic gimmicks that have been well documented.

Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tbh, I think it was a blessing in disguise that whole Sister Abigail vs Demon feud was curtailed due to Bray contracting the mumps. I’m skeptical that that would have been handled properly without coming off cheesy as fuck.

The early signs of Bray’s new sorta Jekyll/Hyde gimmick are good and the Slipknot-like mask is actually quite terrifying. Still watching this space though due to their history of pissing up his gimmicks.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Tbh, I think it was a blessing in disguise that whole Sister Abigail vs Demon feud was curtailed due to Bray contracting the mumps. I’m skeptical that that would have been handled properly without coming off cheesy as fuck.

The early signs of Bray’s new sorta Jekyll/Hyde gimmick are good and the Slipknot-like mask is actually quite terrifying. Still watching this space though due to their history of pissing up his gimmicks.
    I'm really curious to see how the dual personalities are handled. Will Bray ever wrestle in his rehabilitated persona, or only as the Fiend? The alter-ego is something that should be used sparingly so it retains the "Oh, shit!" factor.

Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasori View Post
    I'm really curious to see how the dual personalities are handled. Will Bray ever wrestle in his rehabilitated persona, or only as the Fiend? The alter-ego is something that should be used sparingly so it retains the "Oh, shit!" factor.
    That’s pretty much what they do with Balor/The Demon and he’s been stuck in the same place for years.

I’m thinking more he is pleasant as peaches outside the ring and on promos, but when in the ring he goes psycho.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The New Dolph Ziggler, when they made him into the standard player customization avatar.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I miss the team "From The Other Side of The Tracks" Deuce N Domino

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VHS View Post
    The New Dolph Ziggler, when they made him into the standard player customization avatar.
    They invested all that time into the character only to have him forfeit the title and disappear

The Thinking Man's Idiot Simmo Fortyone's Avatar
    Andre giant once eat kid hot dog at arena. He then laugh. I never forgive that fat motherfucker for that
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has her character ever been anything other than "_____'s best friend" or "_____'s former best friend"?

Football manager? Peter Griffin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    There was that time they hyped up Brodus Clay for weeks as a complete bad ass then had him come out dancing

Mentioned
    363 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Simmo Fortyone View Post
    Has her character ever been anything other than "_____'s best friend" or "_____'s former best friend"?
    Well...HART FAMILY HART FAMILY HART FAMILY, of course.

Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    It worked for tons of Harts before. Training in The Dungeon used to be used to get other people over as well. If they passed through there, it seemed to always be brought up by Monsoon or Ventura and it automatically meant this guy is tough as nails. They stressed it took a hardened person to make it through there. Sure they mentioned she was a Hart but there were no cool video packages of her being a bad ass in the ring or training (that I can remember) and her original title reign was like a month or two. She could have held it a bit longer if they really wanted to make her into a bigger deal. Women's wrestling wasn't what it is now though as well so maybe farts was all creative had at the time. I think the same thing happened with Tyson and Harry Smith. Tons of potential but for some reason WWE just never seemed too interested in them.

I'm joking here but your location is Saskatoon? Are you a Canadian that isn't big on the Harts? I didn't think that was possible.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @mth you're not even Canadian are you? Swear I thought we talked about you actually being from Michigan or I'm just confusing you with some other dude.

I'll say this....If you're options are the only Hart female in the business who's made a name for themselves or shitting your pants in the background while someone is being interviewed, I think the choice is obvious for everyone but mth lol.

Imagine Anvil and everyone else just sitting there watching Nattie and she's shitting herself on camera. And not even in like, for a storyline. It was literally her gimmick was a female who (for the sake of PG) is farting in the background.....wtf.....

Mentioned
    443 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Scatalya Neidheart?

Bagel
    I hope Bray's Mr. Rogers like character shows up to save Finn from a beatdown this week.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
    There was that time they hyped up Brodus Clay for weeks as a complete bad ass then had him come out dancing
    Fun fact. Brodus's first match as the Funkasaurus was against Curt Hawkins. Lawler couldn't believe that Hawkins got squashed. A sign of things to come.

Mentioned
    363 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarrod1983 View Post
    It worked for tons of Harts before. Training in The Dungeon used to be used to get other people over as well. If they passed through there, it seemed to always be brought up by Monsoon or Ventura and it automatically meant this guy is tough as nails. They stressed it took a hardened person to make it through there. Sure they mentioned she was a Hart but there were no cool video packages of her being a bad ass in the ring or training (that I can remember) and her original title reign was like a month or two. She could have held it a bit longer if they really wanted to make her into a bigger deal. Women's wrestling wasn't what it is now though as well so maybe farts was all creative had at the time. I think the same thing happened with Tyson and Harry Smith. Tons of potential but for some reason WWE just never seemed too interested in them.

I'm joking here but your location is Saskatoon? Are you a Canadian that isn't big on the Harts? I didn't think that was possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    @mth you're not even Canadian are you? Swear I thought we talked about you actually being from Michigan or I'm just confusing you with some other dude.

I'll say this....If you're options are the only Hart female in the business who's made a name for themselves or shitting your pants in the background while someone is being interviewed, I think the choice is obvious for everyone but mth lol.

Imagine Anvil and everyone else just sitting there watching Nattie and she's shitting herself on camera. And not even in like, for a storyline. It was literally her gimmick was a female who (for the sake of PG) is farting in the background.....wtf.....
    Yeah, i live in Saskatoon but am originally from Michigan. And I'm sorry but while being a female Hart dungeon grad is certainly respectable and all, it's not really a character. Also, anyone who says farts aren't funny is goddamn liar.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, i live in Saskatoon but am originally from Michigan. And I'm sorry but while being a female Hart dungeon grad is certainly respectable and all, it's not really a character. Also, anyone who says farts aren't funny is goddamn liar.
    Farts CAN be funny. Not here though. The same people who found this funny are the same people who found Mae Young giving birth to a hand to be comedic gold like George Carlin wrote it.

It is a character. Her character is she is the only female survivor of the most torturous training school known to man. Her in-ring work being lightyears better than everyone but maybe 2 other women for about 10 years backs up the character.

She didn't need to fart in the background of a Cody Rhodes promo for depth lol.

Mentioned
    363 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Comedy is subjective. Just like which characters appeal to people is subjective. Just being a tough/good wrestler isn't always enough for some people to be entertained by someone.

Intercontinental Champion Jitters's Avatar
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Comedy works if they can pull it off though like Reigns isn't a comedy character at all, whereas someone like Owens can bring a bit of humour in at times and it works.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hopefully Jason Jordan being Kurt Angle's son ends up in this category. Jordan's career might be over so there may be no choice.

Hade Vansen got a couple video packages before being dropped.

I think he had some dark matches that totally bombed so they sent him back to developmental.

They were doing a thing where Triple H kept getting concussions and Vince didn't want him to wrestle anymore in 2013 that was just quietly dropped. Triple H turned heel and started The Authority instead.

I don't know exactly what all the different versions of New Day were, but it originally looked like they were going to be sort of like the Nation of Domination when Xavier came out looking like Malcolm X. And then instead they ended up being happy clapping faces.

Anyone remember when Kane was obsessed with Kelly Kelly, found out she had a dude she was seeing, and then beat up The Miz thinking it was him, but it turned out it was Randy Orton? This all happened on one episode of Raw and I don't think it was ever mentioned again.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Bobby Lashley showing people his butt...
    I don't even know why that was a thing...

Mentioned
    505 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think we all need to take a minute to acknowledge that mth is the first person to ever own the "Farting Nattie wasn't that bad" corner. And he's successfully taken on all challengers. I never anticipated this when I brought up the angle. Well played.

As far as gimmicks that had a lot of build, and then were quickly dropped.....the glorious run of "Lord" Tensai was something to behold.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tensai is a great one.

Anyone mention Kizarny. Wonder why they dropped that one

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the Mohammed Hassan gimmick of being stereotyped as an Arab American could have lasted longer instead of flat out turning him into the stereotype. Ali is proof of it now that it can work

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Law View Post
    Hopefully Jason Jordan being Kurt Angle's son ends up in this category. Jordan's career might be over so there may be no choice.

Hade Vansen got a couple video packages before being dropped.

I think he had some dark matches that totally bombed so they sent him back to developmental.

They were doing a thing where Triple H kept getting concussions and Vince didn't want him to wrestle anymore in 2013 that was just quietly dropped. Triple H turned heel and started The Authority instead.

I don't know exactly what all the different versions of New Day were, but it originally looked like they were going to be sort of like the Nation of Domination when Xavier came out looking like Malcolm X. And then instead they ended up being happy clapping faces.

Anyone remember when Kane was obsessed with Kelly Kelly, found out she had a dude she was seeing, and then beat up The Miz thinking it was him, but it turned out it was Randy Orton? This all happened on one episode of Raw and I don't think it was ever mentioned again.
    Oh, man, the Angle/Jordon storyline is a big one I forgot about. With Jordan getting so many boos, it looked like they were going with the spoiled child route and he was going to turn heel. Such a shame his career was cut short.

Yup, originally New Day were going to be a militant stable, but Vince decided they should be more positive and gave them the preacher gimmick instead. Good decision as I doubt the militant gimmick would have had the legs that Unicorns, Booty-O's, and Pancakes did.

I don't remember the Kelly Kelly/Kane stuff at all, lol, but I found a compilation.

Last edited by Sasori; July 23rd, 2019 at 2:36 PM.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluegunn View Post
    I think the Mohammed Hassan gimmick of being stereotyped as an Arab American could have lasted longer instead of flat out turning him into the stereotype. Ali is proof of it now that it can work
    2 different gimmicks altogether.

In two totally different periods of time. Although one has to simply go to Ali's social media and there are still people who can't look beyond his skin color.

Hassan really had no choice in seeing a future. I loved the gimmick though. I love any gimmick that tests people like that one, where you wonder, shit, is he right? Am I scumbag for just assuming because he looks like Bin Laden's sexy brother he deserves hate?

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hassan's original gimmick was similar where he played an Arab American that was tired of being stereotyped.

Ali's gimmick is wanting unity.

Only difference is one is a face perspective and the other a heel perspective

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mr Monday night? RVD was on one show and then went back to ECW

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluegunn View Post
    hassan's original gimmick was similar where he played an Arab American that was tired of being stereotyped.

Ali's gimmick is wanting unity.

Only difference is one is a face perspective and the other a heel perspective
    funny thing is Hassan wasn't even arab lol isn't he irish or something similar?

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Malcolm xavier woods lasted one day with the intention of a modern day nation group, then after that new day went gospel and thru were repackaged again to what they are today

Mentioned
    505 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How have we not mentioned Cesaro as a "Paul Heyman Guy"

Mentioned
    363 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because we'd prefer to forget it.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I kind of want to add the Bludgeon Bros. to the list. They lasted less than a year as a team and the gimmick's pretty much been forgotten.

Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I kind of want to add the Bludgeon Bros. to the list. They lasted less than a year as a team and the gimmick's pretty much been forgotten.
    That’s a good thing really because it was terrible. Crap outfits and plastic hammers. They could have just come back and been themselves while still being dominant.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Then we shall also add the black sheep gimmick of strowman

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aiden English crying?

Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3puppies View Post
    Aiden English crying?
    I really can’t recall that at all. Must have been a blink and you miss it kind of thing.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about Nakamura's "Sorry, No Speak Engrish"

Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3puppies View Post
    How about Nakamura's "Sorry, No Speak Engrish"
    Amusing at the time of his turn, but probably not a good idea to keep up since it’s been well established in podcasts and such that he can speak English just fine and people could use that to haunt WWE.

Mentioned
    363 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sal was wearing a Bludgeon Brothers t-shirt on an episode of Impractical Jokers I recently watched.

Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best celebrity wrestling reference was Billy Sharp of Sheffield United celebrating a goal by bringing out a Mr Socko puppet and pretending to put it on one of his team-mates. Foley had breakfast with him as they were touring the UK at the time.