Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Underrated Movies (1980-2010)

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Underrated Movies (1980-2010)

I'll kick this bitch into high gear with one of my favorites and one of the most underrated movies of all time:

Released in 2006 The cast alone is dope: Keanu Reeves, Winona Ryder, Woody Harrelson, Rory Cochrane, and the man himself, Robert Downey Jr.

Now it's no surprise shortly after this movie, RDJ became Iron Man. (I kid) But all in all, great performances from everyone involved.

And watching the making of the movie is beyond fascinating. To know it was shot in 23 days, but the animation took about 18 months is crazy yet cool when you get to see how it was all done.

To add it to it, you have George Clooney providing his voice. So a stacked cast where everyone delivers. Awesome movie, doesn't get a lot of love because it wasn't a huge release and it looks weird I guess. But if you like movies based on Philip K Dick's work (Total Recall, Blade Runner, Minority Report) and/or tv (Electric Dreams, The Man in the High Castle), I think you'll definitely enjoy this.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What we do in the shadows

Mentioned
    364 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember watching A Scanner Darkly a long while back and finding it pretty boring but maybe a rewatch would result in a different opinion now.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurley View Post
    What we do in the shadows
    Hell yes. Have heard good things about the TV show so I'm planning to give it a look soon.

Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is what underrated looks like.

Name me a more iconic duo than Doug Masters and Chappy.

Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mth View Post
    I remember watching A Scanner Darkly a long while back and finding it pretty boring but maybe a rewatch would result in a different opinion now.

Hell yes. Have heard good things about the TV show so I'm planning to give it a look soon.

Love the new tv show. If you want to just try a random episode, I suggest the city council one.

Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Some underrated favs of mine from my younger days that a lot of people in my social circles have slept on are UHF, Pump up the Volume, Dutch, Best of the Best, Cabin Boy, The Wizard, Body Slam, Blue Chips and Masters of the Universe.

Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Thought of a couple more like SGT. Bilko, 8 Heads in a Duffel Bag, Gattaca, Joe's Apartment, PCU, Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion, Grumpy Old Men, Grumpier Old Men, Gattaca, Gone Fishin' and Very Bad Things.

I'm sure I'll think of more. I had plenty of movie nights when I was a kid growing up. Not just the blockbusters. My mother watched some crazy stuff.

Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Mystery Alaska, Hard Rain, Event Horizon, To Wong Foo Thanks for Everything! Julie Newmar, Starship Troopers, Broken Arrow, Airborne, Monkeybone, A Very Brady Sequel, So I Married a Axe Murderer, Boomerang and Grosse Pointe Blank.

Mentioned
    364 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grumpy Old Men & Grumpier Old Men are fucking classics. them.

Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dirty Work was an underrated gem

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The answer is Enemy Mine.

Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazer View Post
    I don't know how I forgot that. Norm MacDonald is awesome and all the cameos are great.

Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Grumpy Old Men & Grumpier Old Men are fucking classics. them.
    My wife had never even heard of them! Had to go buy them so she could watch. Found a double pack with 1 & 2 someplace. Burgess Meredith is beyond gold in these movies.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarrod1983 View Post
    Some underrated favs of mine from my younger days that a lot of people in my social circles have slept on are UHF, Pump up the Volume, Dutch, Best of the Best, Cabin Boy, The Wizard, Body Slam, Blue Chips and Masters of the Universe.
    I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've seen all of these movies. I'll highlight a couple:

Best of the Best-My brother and I were (still are) HUGE martial arts fans and we especially loved those B-movie films like this. Best of the Best 2 and 3 are actually pretty good as well. But this movie, I remember I was super young and caught it on HBO but it was the very end so I didn't even know it was a movie until a couple years later. I thought HBO were just showing more combat sports other than boxing lol.

The Wizard-One of my favorites of all time. The height of NES, plus our boy Tobey Maguire's debut film.

Body Slam-IMHO, the best pro wrestling movie of all time. The Wrestler is the shit, but this one was great.

Again, the rest of the movies were staples of my youth but these 3 are the ones that I think I liked the most out of your list.

Norm McDonald was incredible in this but how about SCREWED with Dave Chappelle? Fucking loved that one.

Donde esta la biblioteca Pablo Diablo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Undercover Brother

Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've seen all of these movies. I'll highlight a couple:

Best of the Best-My brother and I were (still are) HUGE martial arts fans and we especially loved those B-movie films like this. Best of the Best 2 and 3 are actually pretty good as well. But this movie, I remember I was super young and caught it on HBO but it was the very end so I didn't even know it was a movie until a couple years later. I thought HBO were just showing more combat sports other than boxing lol.

The Wizard-One of my favorites of all time. The height of NES, plus our boy Tobey Maguire's debut film.

Body Slam-IMHO, the best pro wrestling movie of all time. The Wrestler is the shit, but this one was great.

Again, the rest of the movies were staples of my youth but these 3 are the ones that I think I liked the most out of your list.

Norm McDonald was incredible in this but how about SCREWED with Dave Chappelle? Fucking loved that one.
    I will totally admit to crying at the end of Best of the Best and The Wizard when I was younger. They fucking got me in the feelers.

Screwed! Danny Devito stole that movie! Loved it.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mystery Alaska, Hard Rain, Event Horizon, To Wong Foo Thanks for Everything! Julie Newmar, Starship Troopers, Broken Arrow, Airborne, Monkeybone, A Very Brady Sequel, So I Married a Axe Murderer, Boomerang and Grosse Pointe Blank.
    This movie is actually in my top 5 of all time favorites. Right in the mix with The Crow, They Live, Evil Dead, and Hustle & Flow.

Weird drug story about Event Horizon. So this cook @ a hotel my homeboy worked out had these sugar cubes dipped in acid but he said they were shit. So we're like ok, he sells us 10 for $10. We each took 3 thinking they weren't that strong....we were FUCKED UP. That day we watched Event Horizon 3 times in a row lol. I had never seen it, it had just came out on VHS (yep they were still around) and yeah, 3 times in a row.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will totally admit to crying at the end of Best of the Best and The Wizard when I was younger. They fucking got me in the feelers.

Screwed! Danny Devito stole that movie! Loved it.
    My best friend and I will still randomly quote Eric Roberts in that movie. Most of it he's fucking crying but the one we always throw out is "Pop it Tommy!" when Tommy has to pop his shoulder back into place. But yeah man, totally thought that shit was real haha. FYI, the game on Super NES is dope.

Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    My best friend and I will still randomly quote Eric Roberts in that movie. Most of it he's fucking crying but the one we always throw out is "Pop it Tommy!" when Tommy has to pop his shoulder back into place. But yeah man, totally thought that shit was real haha. FYI, the game on Super NES is dope.
    I did not know it had a Super NES game. Going to have to look that up.

My mother had a thing for Eric Roberts and I liked Karate Kid so we sat down to watch it. Loved the bar fight. When Dae Han struggles over to Tommy at the end, gives him his medal and offers himself as a brother to Tommy I still remember blubbering. Such a good movie with a good morale about winning when losing. Watched with my kids maybe a year or so ago and they loved it as well.
    Last edited by Jarrod1983; July 17th, 2019 at 12:05 PM.

Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    This movie is actually in my top 5 of all time favorites. Right in the mix with The Crow, They Live, Evil Dead, and Hustle & Flow.

Weird drug story about Event Horizon. So this cook @ a hotel my homeboy worked out had these sugar cubes dipped in acid but he said they were shit. So we're like ok, he sells us 10 for $10. We each took 3 thinking they weren't that strong....we were FUCKED UP. That day we watched Event Horizon 3 times in a row lol. I had never seen it, it had just came out on VHS (yep they were still around) and yeah, 3 times in a row.
    Loved The Crow and They Live.

I have the same story in a nut shell. My buddy and I got some Smartees with drops in them (were told not that strong) and decides to watch Rock Bottom from Dec 98. By the time Owen Hart came out to face Steve Blackman I felt like I was right fucking there.

After that I had to go. Can't sit still while tripping. I have to be on the move. We ended up down by a local river, sticking our faces in it.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big fan of 25th Hour. The final 10 minutes are amazing. So damn good.

Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Found BotB Super NES game for like $7-$10 online. I will purchase soon enough after I get my next check. Sucks having a mortage, car bill etc etc where I need to pencil in a $10 purchase.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    SGT. Bilko
    Yea I adored this movie as a kid and I think it holds up pretty well. People don't often mention it with Steve Martin's best movies, probably since it got bad reviews and flopped, but it's a great comedy.

Mystery Alaska
    Another good shout. Underrated sports flick.

Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Fro View Post
    Yea I adored this movie as a kid and I think it holds up pretty well. People don't often mention it with Steve Martin's best movies, probably since it got bad reviews and flopped, but it's a great comedy.

Another good shout. Underrated sports flick.
    As soon as Martin hits the screen he's going 100 mph and doesn't slow down. He's wearing the wrong shoes!!! Throw in Phil Hartman (Houseguest with Sinbad also underrated, loved him and Arnold in Jingle All The Way as well) and even a young Chris Rock (he didn't have a "funny" role per say but still fun he was in it) and it makes for a great comedy. Even better now because whenever I see something where Hartman pops up I have to watch.

Edit- Dan fucking Aykroyd. Fun goofy role for him in Bilko as well.

Seriously though, Phil Hartman. Really wish he wasn't taken from us so early because he'd provably still be putting smiles on faces today. His SNL stuff is legendary. Phil's Bill Clinton impression and Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer were awesome.
    Last edited by Jarrod1983; July 17th, 2019 at 12:46 PM.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hartman was great on News Radio.

Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    Hartman was great on News Radio.
    Underrated Sitcom with a great cast. When Hartman was murdered I remember Jon Lovitz (High School High, underrated movie) stepping in to fill the void Phil left because of their friendship but I think by that time the show took a blow it couldn't recover from.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A Bronx Tale

soundtrack alone is worth it

Bagel
    Already mentioned was They Live. Incredible movie. Great rewatch value.
    Same for The Wizard (I love my power glove, it's so bad....) and Pump Up The Volume. I think the latter doesn't get as much attention whereas it's Heathers that people seem to have thought more highly of.

Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Heathers was good but I definatley preferred Pump up the Volume.

Nice to see all The Wizard love here. Putnam was a sleaze you enjoyed seeing get the short end over and over again. That old man watching them just trash each others vehicles was great.

He touched my breast! Then Spanky and his pals roll up on him later and he's clueless. You touched her breast huh? It's very hot, BAM!

The soundtrack is just as great as the movie as well.

Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Beau Bridges at the end at the finals of the video game competition: Jimmy, watch the mushrooms!!!

Love the dad being supportive but I'd have to wager Jimmy wouldn't have made it that far if he didn't watch the mushrooms. That always made me laugh. Even young me, like duh watch the mushrooms. Bridges pretty much steals every scene he's in.

Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    A bunch more like Mercury Rising, The Quick and the Dead, Jack, Cool World, Tank Girl, Johnny Mnemonic, The Man Who Knew too Little, Drop Zone, Getting Even with Dad, The Astronaut's Wife, Father's Day, Assassins, Chain Reaction, Fan, EdTV, Last Man Standing, Larger Than Life, Toys, The Great White Hype and Bulworth.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think the movie "Juice" gets enough love.

And while I don't think this movie is underrated, it's not that good, but a guilty pleasure for me as a kid was STAY TUNED.

Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    A lot of mine are definatley guilty pleasures from my childhood.

Hit the nail on the head here, can't believe I forgot Stay Tuned! John Ritter forgive me.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Menace II Society.

It gets lost in the shuffle thanks to Boyz N The Hood but it is one of the best movies about the hood ever made.

Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Dont be a Menace to Society While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood, Senseless, The Sixth Man, Lady Bugs and Sidekicks.

Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Might as well tack on Mo' Money, The Last Boy Scout, Blankman, Major Payne and Bulletproof (disneyland lol).

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damon Wayans himself is underrated.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Menace II Society.

It gets lost in the shuffle thanks to Boyz N The Hood but it is one of the best movies about the hood ever made.
    It gets lost in the shuffle thanks to several 'urban' films of that era. South Central, New Jack City, Juice, Poetic Justice, Jason's Lyric, Above the Rim, Higher Learning, Deep Cover, Dead Presidents, etc.

I loved Menace when it came out. But man those stories were being told all of a sudden every week it seemed.

Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    National Lampoon's Senior Trip, The Cherokee Kid, Earth Girls are Easy, The Pest, Clue, Little Monsters, Drop Dead Fred, Manhunter, My Stepmother is an Alien, The Late Shift, Celtic Pride, In and Out, and Nation Lampoon's Loaded Weapon 1.

Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    If you couldn't tell I used to spend a lot of time watching flicks. I didn't live around any kids and only had a sister, five years younger than I was, so not a lot in common there at the time. Literally if I wasn't outside I was in my bedroom playing games or watching movies.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you couldn't tell I used to spend a lot of time watching flicks. I didn't live around any kids and only had a sister, five years younger than I was, so not a lot in common there at the time. Literally if I wasn't outside I was in my bedroom playing games or watching movies.
    Dude we made time for these movies haha. We played outside all the fucking time and did other shit indoors like play nintendo or instruments or drawing. But somehow we managed to bang out all these movies. Usually it was during the summer haha. Stay up all fuckin night watching everything under the sun and then wake up around 11, hit up the pool, come back and do it all over again haha.

This was also a time where you didn't have 200 reality shows and channels like USA didn't show a bunch of Law and Order reruns lol. So they had room for movies, just like MTV had room for videos.

But I have to admit homeboy, some of these movies I don't think were underrated as much as they were shitty movies we liked.

A movie none of my black friends/family members could understand why I liked it other than being part white was LADYBUGS. Jonathan Brandis was my dude. Sidekicks, IT, Ladybugs, then homeboy hung himself.....

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Percussion View Post
    It gets lost in the shuffle thanks to several 'urban' films of that era. South Central, New Jack City, Juice, Poetic Justice, Jason's Lyric, Above the Rim, Higher Learning, Deep Cover, Dead Presidents, etc.

I loved Menace when it came out. But man those stories were being told all of a sudden every week it seemed.
    Ah, I just think it was a little too much like Boyz N The Hood to some people. You had kind of the same premise, the well to do guy gets shot up and killed while the thugged out dudes died in the post-credit "Where are they now?" lol. But I do agree with you on the fact that the stories were being told at an alarming-yet well-deserved-rate.

America needed these movies.

South Central motherfuckin Bobby Johnson throwin up deuce

Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Dude we made time for these movies haha. We played outside all the fucking time and did other shit indoors like play nintendo or instruments or drawing. But somehow we managed to bang out all these movies. Usually it was during the summer haha. Stay up all fuckin night watching everything under the sun and then wake up around 11, hit up the pool, come back and do it all over again haha.

This was also a time where you didn't have 200 reality shows and channels like USA didn't show a bunch of Law and Order reruns lol. So they had room for movies, just like MTV had room for videos.

But I have to admit homeboy, some of these movies I don't think were underrated as much as they were shitty movies we liked.

A movie none of my black friends/family members could understand why I liked it other than being part white was LADYBUGS. Jonathan Brandis was my dude. Sidekicks, IT, Ladybugs, then homeboy hung himself.....
    Definatley sounds familiar. I would usually have whatever toys or drawings I was doing with a movie on in the background at home.

Saturday was mostly movie days for my mother, sister and I. My dad liked to booze a lot on Saturdays so my mother would take us to see whatever was out whether it was a box office draw or bomb. Then at night HBO always had the Saturday premiere movie. That was my original "dream job" as a kid was to be in movies, ha. I was obsessed with how you could be a different character in each different film. I really enjoyed plucking out C or D actors in bit roles and telling my mother, he or she was from this or that movie. We'd play 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon on long car rides so she could test my knowledge.

I was just saying I need to dig some of these movies I taped off TV up. I saw Revenge of the Nerds 1 & 2 was on Hulu. Definatley had a copy of Nerds taped off of USA and watched that to death. I was telling my wife I wish I had the edited version of Nerds because I'd like to watch it with my kids but the unedited version would be too hard to parent through. I remember when I finally saw the real version when I was older and was like hell, they cut a lot out.

Miracle Beach was another gem that was good but had no idea how much they edited out of it.

Definatley a lot of these movies were shitty guilty pleasures but I think there's some good stuff in a lot of them. Every movie can't be a smash hit. Honestly, I enjoyed the bombs more when I was a kid I think.

My dad was not a fan of Ladybugs, as much as he liked Rodney Dangerfield.

Thinking of Ladybugs, another good one from my youth was Duck Tales The Movie: Treasure of the Lost Lamp. I had a tape that had Ladybugs, Duck Tales and Rocky III on it. My mother and I had TONS of those blank tapes with movies on them. You could usually fit 3 movies to a tape. Then I would use the extra space to tape wrestling on. I still have a lot of these tapes boxed in my dad's garage. Someday I really should drag them out.
    Last edited by Jarrod1983; July 17th, 2019 at 7:36 PM.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Ah, I just think it was a little too much like Boyz N The Hood to some people. You had kind of the same premise, the well to do guy gets shot up and killed while the thugged out dudes died in the post-credit "Where are they now?" lol. But I do agree with you on the fact that the stories were being told at an alarming-yet well-deserved-rate.

America needed these movies.

South Central motherfuckin Bobby Johnson throwin up deuce
    We could have an entire thread centered around clips and takes and memories of that genre of film. Would be fun, imo.

Mentioned
    364 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Deep Rising.

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo Diablo View Post
    Undercover Brother

The Thinking Man's Idiot Simmo Fortyone's Avatar
    Andre giant once eat kid hot dog at arena. He then laugh. I never forgive that fat motherfucker for that
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As soon as Martin hits the screen he's going 100 mph and doesn't slow down. He's wearing the wrong shoes!!! Throw in Phil Hartman (Houseguest with Sinbad also underrated, loved him and Arnold in Jingle All The Way as well) and even a young Chris Rock (he didn't have a "funny" role per say but still fun he was in it) and it makes for a great comedy. Even better now because whenever I see something where Hartman pops up I have to watch.

Edit- Dan fucking Aykroyd. Fun goofy role for him in Bilko as well.

Seriously though, Phil Hartman. Really wish he wasn't taken from us so early because he'd provably still be putting smiles on faces today. His SNL stuff is legendary. Phil's Bill Clinton impression and Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer were awesome.
    This movie is slept on so much. Such a great screwball comedy that still holds up. In a similar vein, Down Periscope. Pretty much Sgt Bilko but in the navy instead. Kelsey Grammar in one gear below Sideshow Bob mode.

As far as dramas go, I put Primal Fear and The Last Castle in my favourite movies ever. Primal Fear - Richard Gere is a lawyer defending altar boy Edward Norton (who is fucking brilliant in this) on murder charges. The Last Castle - Robert Redford leads a revolt in a military prison run by James Gandolfini.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Smokey and the Bandit II (1980)

Any Which Way You Can (1980)

Blue Velvet (1986)

History of the World (Part I) (1981)

Blow Out (1981)

Absense of Malice (1981)

Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Simmo Fortyone View Post
    This movie is slept on so much. Such a great screwball comedy that still holds up. In a similar vein, Down Periscope. Pretty much Sgt Bilko but in the navy instead. Kelsey Grammar in one gear below Sideshow Bob mode.

As far as dramas go, I put Primal Fear and The Last Castle in my favourite movies ever. Primal Fear - Richard Gere is a lawyer defending altar boy Edward Norton (who is fucking brilliant in this) on murder charges. The Last Castle - Robert Redford leads a revolt in a military prison run by James Gandolfini.
    Down Periscope! Such a good comedy. Rob Schneider with a mustache is funny to look at.

Primal Fear is a classic. Norton's first ever movie I believe and he came out swinging. The ending twist grabbed me good for sure.

Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definatley sounds familiar. I would usually have whatever toys or drawings I was doing with a movie on in the background at home.

Saturday was mostly movie days for my mother, sister and I. My dad liked to booze a lot on Saturdays so my mother would take us to see whatever was out whether it was a box office draw or bomb. Then at night HBO always had the Saturday premiere movie. That was my original "dream job" as a kid was to be in movies, ha. I was obsessed with how you could be a different character in each different film. I really enjoyed plucking out C or D actors in bit roles and telling my mother, he or she was from this or that movie. We'd play 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon on long car rides so she could test my knowledge.

I was just saying I need to dig some of these movies I taped off TV up. I saw Revenge of the Nerds 1 & 2 was on Hulu. Definatley had a copy of Nerds taped off of USA and watched that to death. I was telling my wife I wish I had the edited version of Nerds because I'd like to watch it with my kids but the unedited version would be too hard to parent through. I remember when I finally saw the real version when I was older and was like hell, they cut a lot out.

Miracle Beach was another gem that was good but had no idea how much they edited out of it.

Definatley a lot of these movies were shitty guilty pleasures but I think there's some good stuff in a lot of them. Every movie can't be a smash hit. Honestly, I enjoyed the bombs more when I was a kid I think.

My dad was not a fan of Ladybugs, as much as he liked Rodney Dangerfield.

Thinking of Ladybugs, another good one from my youth was Duck Tales The Movie: Treasure of the Lost Lamp. I had a tape that had Ladybugs, Duck Tales and Rocky III on it. My mother and I had TONS of those blank tapes with movies on them. You could usually fit 3 movies to a tape. Then I would use the extra space to tape wrestling on. I still have a lot of these tapes boxed in my dad's garage. Someday I really should drag them out.
    Oh yeah dude, the good ol' 6 hour tapes were like gold. My mom for years would buy me the 3-4 packs of 6 hours tapes for Christmas. 2 houses ago I actually did something horrible: I threw away about 6 big garbage bags full of VHS tapes. Most were WWF/WCW/ECW ppvs so I figured with the Network this would be ok. But there were also some tapes like one that had "Unnecessary Roughness/Hellraiser 3/Meatballs 4" lol.

I have never seen this movie but my boss did show me one of the racing scenes, looked RAD! lol.

Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was one of 17 movies that year to have a montage to the song "Send me an Angel". But the bicycle prom dance was the only one you needed.

Yes kids, that's Aunt Becky as a semi-pro bmx racer coming to a high school prom and doing a bicycle dance with the local bmx hero/

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Down Periscope! Such a good comedy. Rob Schneider with a mustache is funny to look at.

Primal Fear is a classic. Norton's first ever movie I believe and he came out swinging. The ending twist grabbed me good for sure.
    Down Periscope is one of the movies I used to play constantly at the video store I worked at because it's only rated PG-13. Still love it to this day.

Primal Fear was great but it's insane to think that American History X was only his fifth movie. Not that it's underrated because it isn't but it's an amazing film.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Underrated Sitcom with a great cast. When Hartman was murdered I remember Jon Lovitz (High School High, underrated movie) stepping in to fill the void Phil left because of their friendship but I think by that time the show took a blow it couldn't recover from.
    I don't remember Lovitz in that crew at all. Everybody else was great except for Andy Dick. Never found him funny.

Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I don't remember Lovitz in that crew at all. Everybody else was great except for Andy Dick. Never found him funny.
    The last season. I just don't think it worked. After Hartman was gone the show just couldn't recover. Just like when he was on SNL, I think Phil was the heart (corny phrasing I know) of the show. I remember reading the cast could barely get through the memorial episode without crying. It's almost like a new show at that point, taking out Hartman and putting in Lovitz. I haven't seen them in years though. Just going with what I remember at the time. I could be wrong on a rewatch.

Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Dead Man on Campus.

Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A Knight's Tale - complete guilty pleasure movie.

It's why I sometimes introduce people as the "protector of Italian virginity" and tell people I once spent a year in silence, so I could better understand the sound of a whisper.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dead Man on Campus.
    One of my favorite dark comedies of all time.

I still say "no jimmy" all the time.

Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    HBO just added it to their streaming service. Watched it last night. Still love it!

The line I always used to quote from this movie was when Cliff was lighting bongs and he goes "I'm a gentleman" right before he lights the girls hair on fire.

Champ is Gone
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dark City is better than the Matrix

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the movie Contact (1997) is one of the best and most underrated sci-fi movies ever and nobody ever talks about it. Some people criticized the last 30 minutes or so, but I enjoyed the ending and really liked the Faith vs Science debates through McConaughy and Jodie Foster's characters.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

US Marshals was a great sequel, doesn't get enough love.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Boombastic View Post
    I think the movie Contact (1997) is one of the best and most underrated sci-fi movies ever and nobody ever talks about it. Some people criticized the last 30 minutes or so, but I enjoyed the ending and really liked the Faith vs Science debates through McConaughy and Jodie Foster's characters.
    That ending was a visual trip in theaters. I went to see it twice. Jodie Foster''s acting was amazing.

- - - Updated - - -

I remember seeing an early trailer for it when it was still called The Fugitive II.

Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Tommy Lee Jones is awesome. Completely spaced on U.S. Marshals. A good underrated comedy is Man of the House. Jones protecting a bunch of young cheerleaders. His dry humor, matched with the girls, I thought was hilarious.

Mentioned
    364 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For some reason I saw that in theater when it came out and I'm pretty sure I was, at the time, unaware that it was a sequel and had never seen The Fugative.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For some reason I saw that in theater when it came out and I'm pretty sure I was, at the time, unaware that it was a sequel and had never seen The Fugative.
    Same boat for me, well except the fact that I didn't see it in the theater. But I surely saw US Marshals first without knowing it was a sequel. The Fugitive came out when I was 7 so I was too young for it. But by the time I was 12 or 13, US Marshals was right up my alley. It still holds a fonder place in my heard than The Fugitive.

The Thinking Man's Idiot Simmo Fortyone's Avatar
    Andre giant once eat kid hot dog at arena. He then laugh. I never forgive that fat motherfucker for that
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Boombastic View Post
    Good movie, would have been great if not for one of the biggest fucken deus ex machina's of all time

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorority Boys. Definitely stupid but absolutely hilarious. The scene where Harland Williams finds the video tape still makes me laugh so hard I have tears in my eyes.

American Pie 2. I think I actually like it more than the first.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Defrost View Post
    Dark City is better than the Matrix
    I agree. I've watched Dark City probably 50 times, at least. It's a fantastic movie, love the vibe, the look, the concept, and the acting is on point.

Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Sorority Boys. Definitely stupid but absolutely hilarious. The scene where Harland Williams finds the video tape still makes me laugh so hard I have tears in my eyes.

Harland definatley puts that movie on his back and carries it. Still funny enough though.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Christ the floppy rubber dildo fight is cinematic treasure.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Waiting. Totally forgot about this one but was listening to a podcast this morning and Justin Long admitted he was hungover pretty much every day of shooting. Great cast with David Koechner, Ryan Reynolds, Long, Anna Faris, and Luis Guzman.

Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ghostbusters 2 got a lotta hate when it came out, because it wasn't the classic the first one was. Still a funny movie.

Harold Ramis and Dan Akroyd are masters of subtle facial expressions

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ghostbusters 2 got a lotta hate when it came out, because it wasn't the classic the first one was. Still a funny movie.

Harold Ramis and Dan Akroyd are masters of subtle facial expressions
    The courthouse scene is my favorite scene out of both movies. When they switch on their packs and just wait for things to pop off, when the chairs start flying into the air, the score during that part... fucking love it.

Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great scene.

The movie did have a fantastic score.

And it gave us Bobby Brown's "Take Control" Song. What wasn't to love?

Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    In the tone of Waiting...(I loved that movie. I was working at Red Lobster at the time it came out and had a repeated nightly party house with everyone that worked there. My roommate and I got our asses chewed a couple different times because it seemed like 85% of people working shifts were hungover and bosses knew where everyone was going.) I really enjoyed Broken Lizard's Slammin' Salmon. The usual Lizard bunch but also Michael Clark Duncan (underrated actor) and a few of cameos. If you have never seen it go watch!

Waiting 2 also not too shabby.

Ghostbusters 2 was just as much fun for me when I was a kid. I got to see GB2 in theaters (eventually would see the original in 3D at a anniversary showing) and by the time it came out I was a total Ghostbuster nut. The court room scene was great with them strapping on the packs (doe...ray...egon!) and Peter trying to sell everything still makes me laugh. Very much anticipating the new movie.

How about The Mighty Ducks? One is a classic (Lane Smith as Coach Reilly pretty much puts the stamp on the original being the best.) but does D2 and D3 get the love they should? Especially D3 with Emilio not having as big a role. All three are great hockey flicks the family can enjoy.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just saw Slammin Salmon a few weeks back and thought it sucked. And I love Broken Lizard. Club Dread is my go to for them. I love horror/comedy.

Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Club Dread is good for sure.

Duncan and restaurant jokes really had me rolling in Salmon. Not for everyone though I guess.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Jarrod1983

Mighty Ducks 1 and 2 deserve nod. So does Ghostbusters 2. I'll be perfectly honest, 1 and 2 are neck and neck for me. I think they're both incredible.

2 movies that I won't say are UNDERRATED but very inspirational to me were GLEAMING THE CUBE and PRAYER OF THE ROLLERBOYS. Not sure if either have been mentioned. Gleaming The Cube is what sold my brother and I on wanting to try skateboarding and we were pretty good. Everyone in the neighborhood was skating in some shape or form back in the late 80's.

Prayer was cool as fuck, inspired me to buy rollerblades lol. Corey Haim delivered, and that kid was underrated as fuck imo. Had drugs and everything else not taken a toll on his life I imagine he could have been something even bigger than what he was. But what he was, damn, RIP homeboy.

Mentioned
    364 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was a period of time when I was entertaining the idea that Ghostbusters 2 was better than the first. It's basically the same movie anyway.

Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the tone of Waiting...(I loved that movie. I was working at Red Lobster at the time it came out and had a repeated nightly party house with everyone that worked there. My roommate and I got our asses chewed a couple different times because it seemed like 85% of people working shifts were hungover and bosses knew where everyone was going.) I really enjoyed Broken Lizard's Slammin' Salmon. The usual Lizard bunch but also Michael Clark Duncan (underrated actor) and a few of cameos. If you have never seen it go watch!

Waiting 2 also not too shabby.

Ghostbusters 2 was just as much fun for me when I was a kid. I got to see GB2 in theaters (eventually would see the original in 3D at a anniversary showing) and by the time it came out I was a total Ghostbuster nut. The court room scene was great with them strapping on the packs (doe...ray...egon!) and Peter trying to sell everything still makes me laugh. Very much anticipating the new movie.

How about The Mighty Ducks? One is a classic (Lane Smith as Coach Reilly pretty much puts the stamp on the original being the best.) but does D2 and D3 get the love they should? Especially D3 with Emilio not having as big a role. All three are great hockey flicks the family can enjoy.

I fucking love D2.

The whole subplot with the Iceland Assistant Coach (the betrayal of Ice Cream), the Knucklepuck, "Good game Capt. Duck", just a phenomenal movie experience.

Also, if a real broadcaster ever yelled out something like "Woo WOO Kenny woo", it would instantly become one of the greatest sporting calls ever.

Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was a period of time when I was entertaining the idea that Ghostbusters 2 was better than the first. It's basically the same movie anyway.

I'm with Ghostbusters as more of a classic, as it was the first time with the characters. And the whole end scene with Mr. Staypuft, Ray, "when someone asks you if you're a god, you say 'YES'!", just hard to top that as an endscene. And for some reason, I've been saying "I love this plan, I'm excited to be a part of it" with a Bill Murray inflection for about 30 years.

But if you are rewatching , or saw 2 before you saw one-there's probably much less distinction.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know what I think makes #2 better for me? Yanosh. Or however he spells his name. I thought the Ghostbusters had a better grasp on how they wanted their characters presented on camera. So yeah gun to my head I'm a GB2 fan.

I fucking love D2.

The whole subplot with the Iceland Assistant Coach (the betrayal of Ice Cream), the Knucklepuck, "Good game Capt. Duck", just a phenomenal movie experience.

Also, if a real broadcaster ever yelled out something like "Woo WOO Kenny woo", it would instantly become one of the greatest sporting calls ever.
    I like D2 more than the first. I probably saw D2 about 20 times growing up and again, another movie where ninjas are roller blading. People don't realize how trendy rollerblading was in the early early 90's. Ever see "Airborne" with Seth Green and Jack Black? Fucking awesome.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember roller blading being in the X games when I was in high school.

And I'd be lying if I said I never tried to hit a knuckle puck from D2.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone tried the knuckle puck.

Mighty Ducks 1 and 2 are awesome but not underrated. They are widely considered classic kid/sports movies.

D3 could be called underrated except that it's probably accurately rated. I enjoyed it plenty. I was of the right age when it came out (10 years old) and already in love with the first two, so I was all in on D3 and the prep school pranks and the dumb varsity vs JV game where by the way they just made all of the mighty ducks the JV team and rejected all other hockey applicants that year (lol). When they replace the school mascot with the Ducks at the end, that is the silliest shit ever. Like hey we've been the Eden Hall Warriors since our founding in 1898 but now we're the Mighty Ducks because this JV hockey team won an exhibition game. Hopefully all of our alumni and other sports teams are cool with it.
    Last edited by Fro; July 24th, 2019 at 2:06 PM.

Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You know what I think makes #2 better for me? Yanosh. Or however he spells his name. I thought the Ghostbusters had a better grasp on how they wanted their characters presented on camera. So yeah gun to my head I'm a GB2 fan.

I like D2 more than the first. I probably saw D2 about 20 times growing up and again, another movie where ninjas are roller blading. People don't realize how trendy rollerblading was in the early early 90's. Ever see "Airborne" with Seth Green and Jack Black? Fucking awesome.

How did I miss Airborne?

Rollerblading was amazingly trendy in the early 90s. In my neighborhood, we went through a period where roller-hockey joined wiffleball and football in the summer rotation for the daily game. For several years it got decent play. Even though we were all terrible at it.

Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone tried the knuckle puck.

Mighty Ducks 1 and 2 are awesome but not underrated. They are widely considered classic kid/sports movies.

D3 could be called underrated except that it's probably accurately rated. I enjoyed it plenty. I was of the right age when it came out (10 years old) and already in love with the first two, so I was all in on D3 and the prep school pranks and the dumb varsity vs JV game where by the way they just made all of the mighty ducks the JV team and rejected all other hockey applicants that year (lol). When they replace the school mascot with the Ducks at the end, that is the silliest shit ever.

D2 is beloved by a certain generation. But I think the original gets more attention and airplay. But D2 is the better movie, and deserves to beloved across the generations. Still underrated.

I need to make my kids watch those movies this weekend. Hopefully it will go as well as when I made them watch the "NBA Superstars" video.

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    D2 has Trinidad and Tobago. Easily the better movie.

THE GOALIE IS THE SHOOTER!!!!

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How did I miss Airborne?

Rollerblading was amazingly trendy in the early 90s. In my neighborhood, we went through a period where roller-hockey joined wiffleball and football in the summer rotation for the daily game. For several years it got decent play. Even though we were all terrible at it.
    Does anyone remember ROLLERGAMES? Saturday morning t.v. show back in the early early 90's and also a NES and arcade game. Fucking loved that shit. That's why I was into that show on TNN, Rollerjam? For some reason that shit appeals to me.

We never got into roller hockey, we were all about trying to do tricks and stuff like that. Hockey isn't Iowa's strongest sport even though we do have a minor league team (Go Bucs!) But I'm clumsy as fuck on wheels so I sucked but I still liked watching people do it. Still do despite it's popularity being almost non-existent in 2019.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    Monster Squad. Dark City is amazing. Wizard is just ok.

Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    How did I miss Airborne?

I don't know how you missed it. I mentioned Airborne in one of my original posts. I did mention a bunch of content though. I loved that movie as a kid too. Jack Black was pretty much "the guy from Airborne" to me for the longest time.

Bagel
    Brick, if it hasn't been mentioned yet. I tend to watch this a couple times a year. Such a good movie. Same for Cube, and also Gleaming the Cube. Good mention, Nash. Was able to find that on DVD a couple years ago after awhile of looking.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did we mention The Cable Guy? If not, that is without a doubt a true underrated movie. Jim Carrey did a great job. So did Jack Black with what little parts he had in it.

Mentioned
    444 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I'm gonna make a bold statement and say Jim Carrey is the best comedian of my generation.

Mentioned
    444 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagel View Post
    Brick, if it hasn't been mentioned yet. I tend to watch this a couple times a year. Such a good movie. Same for Cube, and also Gleaming the Cube. Good mention, Nash. Was able to find that on DVD a couple years ago after awhile of looking.
    Brick, is that that movie with Joseph Gordon Levitt?

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I'm gonna make a bold statement and say Jim Carrey is the best comedian of my generation.
    In terms of movies and tv, personally I would accept that as a valid "best of" nominee of our generation. Whether it was over the top stuff like Ace Ventura or In Living Color or the subtle humor like in Truman Show or The Cable Guy.....Dude is pretty fucking good.

I think he has a lot of the most consistently funny performances of the late 80's into the 90's for sure.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sandler > Carrey

Mentioned
    506 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Honey_Badger View Post
    Sandler > Carrey
    And the battle lines have just been drawn....

This is the Pacino vs. De niro for my generation.

talking about forgotten gems....there's one movie that hasn't been mentioned. And it's endlessly quotable. But I shouldn't beat myself up about it.

We mustn't dwell. No, not today. We can't. Not on Rex Manning day.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And the battle lines have just been drawn....

This is the Pacino vs. De niro for my generation.

talking about forgotten gems....there's one movie that hasn't been mentioned. And it's endlessly quotable. But I shouldn't beat myself up about it.

We mustn't dwell. No, not today. We can't. Not on Rex Manning day.
    Empire Records is a slept on movie like no other. Probably because there isn't a single minority in the entire fucking movie.

I kid. There's some serious star power in that movie. My ex-gf was a huge fan of this movie.

I just checked out the wiki page and this was extremely interesting to me:

The film was severely edited in post-production, removing three significant characters and up to 40 minutes of film. The story was also condensed from occurring over two days to a single day
    So now we have to find out who were the 3 significant characters completely removed and the 40 minutes of film needs to be viewed.
    Last edited by Nash Diesel; July 26th, 2019 at 1:02 PM.

Mentioned
    444 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Sandler only has Billy Madison and Happy Gilmore that are his only good comedies, Carrey has Ace Ventura 1 and 2, Cable Guy, the Mask, Dumb and Dumber, Batman Forever, Liar Liar, Bruce Almighty, Fun with Dick and Jane