User Tag List

Thread: Listening Group Week 2: Love Ire & Song by Frank Turner

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Listening Group Week 2: Love Ire & Song by Frank Turner

There's not a lot when it comes to music that I avoid. I'll happily listen to the latest pop song, I've got well into country in the past 6 months or so and I spent my uni years in a 12 bed house filled with my rap and hip hop obsessed mates picking up a love for Nas, Biggie and more recent stuff but I'm an indie boy at heart and was lucky enough to be at uni during the big indie bubble of the late 00s. Those years are uni were both brilliant and horrible for me, going out with my mates, drinking, smoking and meeting girls but all the while I was battling and coming to terms with the mental health issues I was experiencing at the time. So the music of the time is really closely linked in my head with a surge of both positive and negative feelings with some songs pretty much being unlistenable whilst others take me back to a place where I was accepted and beginning to accept myself. This album comes from a good place though and carried me through my last two years at uni giving me the right amount of story telling and the faux angst a lot of 20 somethings get when they think they can change things.

Frank Turner comes from just up the road from where I went to uni and did a lot of local gigs during my first year of uni before hitting it 'big' with this album in 2008 and going on to play at festivals and bigger venues. I've seen him a handful of times and he's great live. I can't pretend he's got the best voice but his songs mean something to me and I think they likely always will. I toyed with picking a Gregory Porter album here and even started writing this about a Paolo Nutini album as another album that meant something and part of that was because I wanted to keep this album just for me. But I plumped for it to see what the general consensus is; is this album a sentimental set of records that fit a part of my life or is there a genuine feeling that these songs have a real value?

I love almost every song on the album and hopefully someone can get something from it too. I'm especially interested to see what the Americans on the board think as I imagine Turner is quite British in style and tone of the youth during the late 00s. Its one of my favourite albums and whilst I wanted to see what people thought, I also wanted to share a little bit of me and what contributed to me growing as a person over my time on the boards here.

I hope you enjoy.

Administrator
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I kind of went into this thinking that i'd get some insight into some of you guys and the kind of music that speaks to you, and get some perspective on some new genres. Finding a new artist that I really like was secondary, but i'm thrilled to have been put on to this album.

It's not the most amazing album of all time, but it's the kind of driving minimalist indy rock that I loved so much in my early 00s college days. Big time nostalgia. Enjoyed it tons.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Nice stuff, BBF. Hadn't heard this before. Reminds me of The Decemberists for some reason. Not as bad or as good though.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Listening to the first couple of tracks, my initial impression is it reminds me of David Ford/Badly Drawn Boy/Get Cape, Wear Cape, Fly/Nizlopi. Will give the rest a good listen to in the car.

On a side note I think a bird may have fallen in to my chimney, not really sure what to do about that.

The Rosk
    Well, I’ve been meaning to listen to this for a long time because of the awesome Dancing Queen cover, so this gives me that excuse. Played Beebs.

Mentioned
    444 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Enjoyed listening to this on the drive to work this morning. I guess the problem with listening while driving is I can't see what the song titles are. Looking at the track listing now though, I think it was Long Live the Queen, Imperfect Tense, and Better Half that I liked the best. Will give it another go this week, but first impression is very good.

Never heard of Frank Turner, and to be honest before I listened I was thinking of Ike Turner and guess I was expecting something R&Bish.

After first listen I'd give it a 7/10.

Intercontinental Champion Melly's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    So far from what I listen to, but I enjoyed it. It reminded me of a 90's punk rocker. I can picture his music being really great to hear live.

Standout tracks: Love Worth Keeping, Long Live The Queen, Reasons To Not Be An Idiot, Jet Lag
    Last edited by Melly; July 10th, 2019 at 7:00 PM.

The Thinking Man's Idiot Simmo Fortyone's Avatar
    Andre giant once eat kid hot dog at arena. He then laugh. I never forgive that fat motherfucker for that
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got this on at the moment while I'm working. Very similar to my favourite band of all time You Am I so I love it. Has a little bit of The Replacements about him too.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    One of my favourite albums ever, "If music was the food of love id be a fat romantic slob" is one of my favourite lyrics.

Tails off a bit at the end but so important to me when it was released.

The first 5 tracks are absolute stormers. Long live the queen is beautiful.

Mikehunt - Has bought this album.

Great choice BBF. Also listen to Million Dead.

We haven’t become anything — we simply are as we are
    Mentioned
    331 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    usa
    Solid stuff. While not necessarily my cup of tea there is a lot of care and passion put into this.

Some great lyrics, but the style of music isn't my favorite. He does it well, he sounds good, just hard for me to get through personally.

Football manager? Peter Griffin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    So track one did nothing much for me and I was worried I wouldn't like this at all, But damn I loved it from track two. My highlights were Love ire and song, Long live the queen, St Christopher is coming home and Jet lag.

I am getting worried given the first two picks that mine is going to go down like a fart at a funeral. But at the end of the day I likes what I likes

We haven’t become anything — we simply are as we are
    Mentioned
    331 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    usa
    Not sure how I will start it off, probably just start with a favorite of mine that I think many at least are aware of and then go more obscure. Though my tastes aren't super vast as I do the musical theatre thing and I probably won't force that upon anyone

Football manager? Peter Griffin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    You only get to pick one album mate.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah cool choice. Frank Turner was in my college a couple of weeks ago delivering a masterclass. Really nice guy. Never listened to any of his music though, guess now I’ve got an excuse.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    australia
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
    So track one did nothing much for me and I was worried I wouldn't like this at all, But damn I loved it from track two. My highlights were Love ire and song, Long live the queen, St Christopher is coming home and Jet lag.
    This is pretty much how I felt on first listen. Song one started out a bit meh but then it got to this bit:

And I know I'm not the one who is habitually optimistic,
    But I'm the one who's got the microphone here so just remember this:

Life is about love, last minutes and lost evenings,
    About fire in our bellies and about furtive little feelings,
    And the aching amplitudes that set our needles all a-flickering,
    And help us with remembering that the only thing that's left to do is live.
    He ramps it so much vocally and it hooked me.

Reasons Not To Be An Idiot and Imperfect Tense feel a bit meh compared to the remainder of the album to me but the rest of it is fantastic.

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that little bit there might be my favourite lyrics of all time. I certainly think they helped to change me as a person.

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Ah cool choice. Frank Turner was in my college a couple of weeks ago delivering a masterclass. Really nice guy. Never listened to any of his music though, guess now I’ve got an excuse.
    He seems to be a genuinely nice person which helps i think. He did a gig in a shitty bar in Southampton and stayed for an hour just chatting to people, signing anything and answering any questions. I hope your students got a lot out of him.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    I’ve given it one listen so far and I’m sorry to say I didn’t like it. This feels like it’s very much about the lyrics and they aren’t connecting with me, perhaps if I had heard it when I was in my 20s it would have, not sure.

I will give it another listen though. Possibly it’s a grower,

WWF Champion
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He sounds like Scouting For Girls went to uni.

Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wardy View Post
    He sounds like Scouting For Girls went to uni.
    God I hate Scouting for Girls.

WWF Champion
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me too. Maybe I was a bit harsh here. One more listen and I'll share my thoughts.

The Rosk
    I really liked it. Been meaning to listen to it for a long time, and I’m glad I finally ran out of excuses not to.

The first four or five songs were fucking belters that made me want to go pick up the guitar and learn them immediately. The lyrics were witty and fun, putting a smile on my face throughout most of the album.

Better Half slowed up the pace a little, possibly necessary after the frantic first few songs. Not sure if t just wasn’t of the same standard as the rest. Love Ire & Song was a fucking great simple lyric, gorgeously written. Imperfect Tense seems again to be off the standard of the others, but the ending slightly reminded me of O’s ending for some reason- a very good thing.

I can see why Beebs got into this at the age he did. It’s a wonderful relatable cruise through the mind of a young adult growing up in a world where life and love can be shitty and glorious from one day to the next.

Will definitely be putting at least five of these songs on my Spotify playlist, and keep an eye out for his gigs.

The Rosk
    Waiting to hear feedback from the following in the next 36 hours:
    @JP @Matthew @Morrison @Simon @wardy @Donald @Melly @Hurley @MMH @Mik

At the end of today, the next person in line will be told they are picking.

WWF Champion
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hated this at first. I don't like his voice/style of singing and how it seems to be turned up much higher than the instruments compared to songs by other artists.

I listened to the album three times and felt it just wasn't for me, but after seeing the likes of MikeHunt say it's one of his favourite ever albums I thought I'd give it another go.

On the fourth listen, straight away I found that the first three songs had grown on me.

I Knew Prufrock Before Prufrock Was Cool is rousing while Reasons Not to Be an Idiot and Photosynthesis are catchy with relatable lyrics.

The rest of the album didn't do much for me. IMO he done the old trick of putting all his best stuff at the beginning.

I enjoyed No Time For Dreaming more as an album but those three songs I mentioned are probably better than anything on that album except Since Our Last Goodbye.

One thing I'll say is that I imagine he's brilliant live. A lot of the songs sound like they're designed to be belted out in a small venue with just him and his guitar. I'll keep an eye out for him in future.

Overall, not my cup of tea but there were some catchy tunes and great lyrics. Best song for me was Photosynthesis. Cheers Beebs.

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    I already posted feedback.

Mentioned
    444 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I already posted feedback

The Rosk
    Apologies, I’ll send you both a billion dollars for suggesting you were “late feedback bastards”.

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Finally I'll be rich!

Mentioned
    444 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

Defiance is a four letter
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Frank Turner – Lover, Ire and Song

Notes as I listen...

I Knew Prufrock Before He Got Famous – I really, really fucking love this. I know this but never really knew who it was. It’s a gradual builder, reminds me a little bit of Snow Patrol, starting quieter, growing, slight fade and then a crescendo of sound and emotion until you want to fucking stand up, jump up and scream along. Outstanding song.

Reasons Not To Be An Idiot – This is, errr, a bit shit? Or at least it starts out a bit shit. Yeah, I think that’s fairer. The verses are shite, the chorus quality. It’s by the numbers bollocks rock and then in the chorus there’s something more about it. Not much more. Nah, my first instinct was closer to the truth. Just a bit crap. Not really a fan of the message either. “Oh, you’re upset. You’re depressed? WELL IT’S A NICE DAY, GO OUTSIDE, YOU’LL FEEL BETTER LIKE IT’S MAGIC!” Nope.

Photosynthesis – That's fucking Linger. That’s bastard’s ripped off the start of Linger. Ish. I know this too. Turns out I know a few more of this bloke than I thought. It's a drinking song. With your mates, steamed out, singing along and loving it all. I don’t think it’s a good song, but I’m smiling listening to it. I’m half Kesseler, half Callaghan, and my Callaghan is taking over, ordering a whiskey chaser and hugging my entire family.

Substitute – Fuck off, what is that. That is another intro ripped straight from another song. We’re four songs in and his voice is getting a little bit samey already. There’s no variety in his delivery, lyrical choices or approach. Don’t get me wrong, this is pleasant. But pleasant is what I want in an elevator, not in my daily musical choices.

Better Half – So what do you say? I can’t write so I steal from the Noel Everyday. Watch the world away. I mean, let’s not mince words, the inspirations for this are as clear as day. But this is fucking shite. His voice isn’t strong, interesting or unique enough to carry a quieter, vocally centred emotional song. Oh man, oh man, oh Jesus, fuck the world, no. Normally, I adore songs which build to a voice breaking, emotionally scarring fight. This wants to be that and just fails. Sheeeeeesh. Shheeeeeeeeeeeesh.

Love, Ire and Song – It’s fucking brilliant. I mean, fucking brilliant. The lyrics, delivery, the failure, the pain, the longing, all of it, just fucking brilliant. Grab a flag, get out there, stand up, scream, stick your chest out and live. Swallowing back emotion listening to this.

Imperfect Tense – Well this is a bloody drop off, from the sublime to the shit. Not for the first time in this album, it’s very by the numbers. You could here this in any rock bar in the country. So much meh in such a small time.

To Take You Home – There’s been a hubbering in the back of my head about his ability to deliver these songs. I think this is the best example so far of that disconnect between the genuine quality of the song structure and lyrics to his inability to elevate the material. I like this, but I think I should love it. And I don’t.

Long Live The Queen – This album is proving a really strange listen. I’m not really caring for most of it, but then about every three songs, it grabs me and resonates like a vibration from my soul. WELL FUCK ME WHERE DID THAT VOICE COME FROM?! The last of the greats has finally gone to bed. We live to dance another day, but now we have to dance for one more of us. Where the fuck did all this dust come from?

A Love Worth Keeping – Very Alanis Morrisette sounding. I think I’d enjoy it a hell of a lot more if it were her behind the microphone. That said, he’s now signing softly in a way which would haave benefited a lot of the previous songs. I like this. It’s not great, but it’s alright. It’s back in that pleasant bracketing.

St Christopher Is Coming Home – The kind of song we learn to expect at the end of an album. It’s, there. Slower. Tropey in its existence. Bit wank. Oh, there’s la’s and a chorus to sing la’s. That was utter bullwank.

Jet Lag – There's an immediate clash between the piano and his vocal delivery. The music is drawing me in, as a good piano lead track always will. But no, this is weak. The vocal’s aren’t mellow enough to send you to a lopsided head and a wry smile, it’s not cracked or broken enough to push that pain into you and grate against your memories. I’m stuck between adoring what I think the song could be and what I’m listening to. It’s almost there. Scratching at the edges of greatness, but not getting there.

Christ. That was the one indeed. An absolute roller coaster of quality and resonance. Some of those songs I could listen to at any moment, any place and I’d struggle not to cry. Others, genuinely awful, delusions of something greater than they could ever be.

But those highs, fuck me, they’re touching the stars.

you either die a hero... Morrison's Avatar
    or live long enough to see yourself become a dumdum.
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the early 2000's was my time of discovering 'the classics,' with a ton of staples of 60's and 70's rock and subsequently the blues artists the majority of them were trying to emulate, and my pubescent inclinations wrote off a lot of modern music as not worth my time. there'd be times when i'd go with my dad as he went to run errands and junk, and i'd not have my cd player or ipod, and would be forced to listen to the radio as i stayed in the car in the parking lot. there were two classic/hard rock format stations in philadelphia that would get most of the play time, but they'd eventually sync up with a song i didn't like or go on their 15 minute commercial breaks at the same time, so i'd spend a ton of time scrolling through all the radio stations out of boredom. i very distinctly remember stumbling onto the princeton college radio station and being caught by how different it sounded. there weren't any music bed's under the DJ's, the DJ's themselves being students of the college and therefore not being very polished broadcasters at all. it was during one of these times listening to WPRB 103.3FM that i heard 'timorous me' by ted leo and the pharmacists.

so by track two of this album, ted leo and the pharmacists immediately popped into my mind. the jaunty music and folky projection of their lead vocals hit my ears in similar ways, and they both lean heavily into a more aggressive take on the sentimental and romantic. ted leo and the pharmacists are really the only band from the huge crop of early to mid 2000's indie rock acts that i ever bothered with. don't know if it was that organic sense of discovering something new by chance that gave it the extra oomph, cause none of the other acts in the same wheelhouse ever really hit any kind of nerve in me one way or the other, and because of that, i've really never attempted any deep dives with the genre standouts again. so to now listen to an act who fits a lot of that style, who was never on my radar, so long after the fact, is a nice shock to the system. this whole album has been fun to listen to, though some of the nostalgic twinged content of the lyrics gets lost with me, which is probably a problem that contributed to my apathy towards other acts i tried listening to a decade or more ago. but overall, i'm curious to sample some things from his other albums, which is a good start.

photosynthesis, substitute and imperfect tense were standout tracks for me, even after saying the demonstrative sentimentality didn't always work on me, so that's saying something. the slower songs didn't land with me so much, however, and they'd tend to fall to the backround of my attention.
    Last edited by Morrison; July 15th, 2019 at 9:23 PM.

The Rosk
    Fucking hell I love Morrison. Where has he been all my life

you either die a hero... Morrison's Avatar
    or live long enough to see yourself become a dumdum.
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    logged into my matthew account.

Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was nothing "wrong" with the album per se. The music was good, the lyrics were fine (I am not really a lyric type of guy though, I like my tunes more) but he sounds like someone who wouldn't be out of place in a mid 90's open mic night in a blag Irish Bar. Like a Levellers tribute act (The Revellers probably..) even with the annoying everyone sing along acapella bits.

He does one of my main bug bears in music where he tries to force words into the tune (if that makes sense?) Like he had wrote the music before the lyrics.

Opening with "I Knew Prufrock Before He Was Famous" was an interesting choice. Its a decent enough song and one of the songs that I actually did listen to the lyrics on but it's a middle of an album song.

After that the first few songs just churned along. They were fine and perfectly listenable I suppose but I didn't really care about them.

Imperfect Tense is good as it's a bit more rock and tuneful. It's the type of song I would hear and like before trying the rest of the album. Then To Take You Home dipped straight back in to faux Irish folk stuff.

Other than that nothing else really stood out for me, the Build up to the end of the final track Jet Lag is quite nice.

Shame as it's something I should like, I do like a good singer songwriter, The bloke obviously has talent I just feel like it's been done better by others and the album seemed hell bent on throwing little bits into songs that annoy me.

Solid but unspectacular. I reckon he has a few cracking songs knocking about in his back catalogue though.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a strange album that I'm having a hard time writing about. It's definitely something that I would have got into if I heard it when it was released, but I think my taste in music has changed to the point where I'm not sure if I like it. It has that sound of one of those albums that I don't really listen to anymore, but might give a bit of nostalgic love when it comes on every blue moon.

I think it's good for what it is. The only thing I think I'll add is that some of the lyrics sound like they would be better suited to a darker tone at times, where it sounds a bit too upbeat for what it's saying.

Donde esta la biblioteca Pablo Diablo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Listened to this one while driving so can’t give a track by track breakdown for this one.

Overall this album gave me the feelings of being back in undergrad which makes sense considering when it was released. It brings back those feelings of relaxing with my housemates with their music playing in the living room. But at the same time outside of a couple songs it just felt worse. Whether that’s because my tastes have just changed or because it is just a bit worse than the music I listened to at the time I’m not sure.

The title track and long live the queen really stood out to me though.

Not to say it was an awful album but not outstanding for me.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Listened to this album over the last couple of days. I'm trying to catch up with these albums so I'm not giving them multiple plays, but I'll go back and listen to the ones that I don't hate again.

I didn't hate it. Like JP I thought that it was very up and down, which is odd because I also think that it's fairly samey and repetitive. There are a few tracks that I quite liked and then a few that I thought droned on a bit. His lyrics are good, although a bit too on the button and basic. I'd be interested to listen to some of his newer stuff and to see how his writing has matured. I quite like the simplistic style of them and the clear vocals, although I find them all to be a bit too shouty. He's a bit like an unpolished Damien Rice. I can imagine that his stuff would've resonated more with me if I had heard it when I was at uni.