User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Women's World Cup 2019

Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Women's World Cup 2019

As mentioned in the standard football thread I thought I would try a preview and thread for this years Women's World Cup as it is attracting a lot more attention than usual. Hopefully I can get a few of you involved in the tournament as I find football is always more fun when you have some background information etc.

Anyway I will post my preview in a sec....

Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GROUP A

FRANCE

Best Result: 4th place 2011

Remember Spain before they started to win stuff? That is basically the French women’s team right now.

Probably the best league in the world (it pays the most anyway) with bundles of talent to choose from yet every competition they seem to overthink things and never quite get over the finishing line.

When the likes of Louisa Necib, Laure Boulleau and Camile Abily retired from International football (or football entirely in the case of the first two) many thought their chances of success would fade but they are still around and still almost winning things.

This could be their year though. Home field advantage should be a major benefit for them.

Player to watch: Eugenie Le Sommer (Forward)

Part of the dominant Lyon side that have won Ligue 1 7 years on the bounce along with 3 champions league titles, Le Sommer is a world class player.

Normally playing “in the hole” she is a top goalscorer (73 goals in 156 games for France) who can also provide assists to the rest of the team.

At 30 years old this is realistically her last chance to win the World Cup and she will be more than fired up to do so.

Elsewhere:

At 6 foot 2 inches tall and with over 100 caps Wendie Renard is a Rolls Royce of a centre back and a presence at both ends of the pitch.

Goalkeeper Sarah Bouhaddi has been a mainstay in the team for about ten years now, however she is always prone to an error.

Captain Amandine Henry pulls the strings in midfield and most of the play will be dictated by her.

Leaving Ligue 1 top scorer Marie Antoinette Kototo out of the squad was shocking and may prove to be a mistake. The 20 year old PSG striker is lethal in front of goal but has attitude issues according to French coach Corinne Diacre.

NIGERIA

Best Result: Quarterfinals 1999

It is hard to get a grasp of the African sides in women’s football as the coverage is not always there. Nigeria are regulars at the World Cup though having qualified for every event.

Usually they are just there to make up the numbers, only once have they got beyond the group stage and that was 20 years ago.

Group A is wide open for me this year and other than France the other 3 teams will be scrapping for second place, a combination of experience and decent ability could be enough to see them through.

Player to watch: Asisat Oshoala (Forward)

Nigeria has no real star performers so all eyes will be on the potential of Asisat Oshoala.

The 24 year old Barcelona striker has travelled around a fair bit already for her age including stops at Liverpool and Arsenal. This season she was a useful squad member for Barcelona as they made the Champions League final.

Elsewhere:

Desire Oparanozie is a well-travelled striker who has scored goals at every level who currently plies her trade for mid level Ligue 1 side Guingamp.

Rita Chikwelu adds veteran experience in midfield and will look to be their main creative force.

NORWAY

Best Result: Winners 1995

Their 1995 win seems like an age ago (it was to be fair..) and these days Norway are pretty much also rans. They didn’t even get out of their group at the last Euros which was unheard of about a decade ago.

One of their main problems is that their best player and ballon d’or winner Ada Hegerberg (Lyon) has quit the national team due to the NFF’s treatment of the women’s team in terms of payment, travel etc. It’s a fair point for her to make too as it’s not like the men’s team are pulling up any trees. Her sister Andrine Hergerberg (PSG) has also followed suit but she has had a nightmare year in the French capital anyway. Neither have played for the team since 2017.

Player to Watch. Caroline Graham Hansen (Midfield)

Hansen is Norway’s one remaining superstar. After a successful five years at Germany’s top side VFL Wolfsburg she has moved on to Barcelona for the upcoming season. A powerful right winger with an eye for goal the 24 year old will be carrying her nations hopes on her shoulders.

Elsewhere:

Some English interest here in captain Maren Mjelde and full back Maria Thorisdottir who both play for Chelsea and will stabilize the Norwegian defence.

Striker Isabell Herlovsen has a good record but has never really performed at the top level bar one season with Lyon 8 years ago where she struggled.

SOUTH KOREA

Best Result: Round of 16 2015

There is not a lot to write about when it comes to South Korea. Probably the third best side in Asia behind Japan and China (North Korea are banned due to doping..) they are pretty much what you would expect them to be, hard working, technically good but not quite good enough all round.

I would be surprised if they did anything major but as mentioned there is a chance that they can equal their previous best result in 2015 due to a wide open group. They won’t embarrass themselves yet won’t ruffle any feathers either.

Player to Watch: Cho So Hyun (Midfield)

Quite possibly South Korea’s best ever player, The captain is the heartbeat of the side. At 30 years old she is getting on a bit now but the West Ham United player should have one more competition in her.

Elsewhere:

Chelsea’s Ji So Yun is the Korean’s biggest goal threat. With over 100 WSL games under her belt the striker has scored goals wherever she has played and is a good bet to at least get a couple in the group stage.

Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GROUP B

GERMANY

Best Result: Winners 2003, 2007

Traditionally one of the strongest teams in women’s football Die Mannschaft have struggled somewhat (comparatively) in recent times with their last success being at the 2015 Olympic Games.

Since then a lot of retirements hit them hard, especially that of their coach Sylvia Neid, legendary player Steffi Jones stepped in as the new boss and their performance at Euro 17 was abysmal, struggling to get out of their group before being beaten by a pretty average Denmark side.

Recent form has been good however with the Germans being unbeaten for a year with only one draw in that time against fellow group B side Spain.

So all looks good for Germany but there are two issues for me. Firstly this run of form was under interim coach Horst Hrubesch who formed a good bond with the team but he retired (or went back into retirement actually...) after the qualifiers with Martina Voss Tecklenburg taking over the reigns after coaching Switzerland. During this time preparations for the World cup have been somewhat stitled with some niggling injuries to key players during warm up games. Nothing major or anything but the new coach may not know her best first eleven yet.

This takes us onto the other issue for the German’s their best known player, midfielder Dzsenifer Marozsán.

Lets get this straight now, Marozsan is a tremendous player. One of the best in the world without a doubt, the problem is for me she kind of gets in the way of the rest of the team. She plays in a very similar role to other top players like Sara Dabritz, Svenja Huth, and Alex Popp and when Marozsan plays the others have to move to accommodate her (imagine a similar problem to the old Lampard and Gerrard debate for England, that’s what you have here only with multiple players.)

Germany are in the “good side” of the draw. If they win their group they miss the likes of USA, France and England in the knockout stages.
    Check out Germany’s home kit. It’s sensational.

Player to Watch: Sara Dabritz (Midfield)

Dabritz is probably my favourite footballer right now. A very intelligent footballer who can play anywhere in midfield and attack Dabritz has had a great season in the Bundesliga scoring 13 goals for Bayern Munich.

The 24 year old Bavarian is equally strong with either foot (technically she is left footed but you couldn’t tell) and has the ability to score some cracking goals. Her corners are lethal and she can whip in a great free kick.

Problem is she may not get the chance to show her set piece prowess or indeed her goal scoring ability due to the Marozsan issue. She will play, there is no doubt about that but she may end up as a defensive midfielder (which is not her strongest position) or as a winger (which is fine).

If she does get her chance to shine though she will take it, especially as she has just moved to PSG this summer and will want to impress her new supporters.

Elsewhere:

Almuth Schult is a top quality goalkeeper, she actually looks like a goalkeeper (if you get what I mean) which is rare in the women’s game.

Lea Schuller is a youngster who has been banging the goals in for both club and country this season. Not bad for a 21 year old who has been playing for mid table SGS Essen.

Defensively is where Germany may struggle. They love to pass the ball around in defence, the problem is they do not have the players to do it. Kathy Hendrich is good on the ball but probably won’t be a starter which leaves the rest of them to eventually give the ball away or pass it back to Schult who is always capable of slicing a clearance into danger. Its maddening really as their midfield is full of talent, give them the ball!

CHINA

Best Result: Runners Up 1999

Once one of the better sides in Women’s football the Chinese side of 2019 are capable of giving you a tough game and that’s about it. With all but one player playing in the Chinese League I don’t really have much on them sorry!

Player to Watch: Wang Shuang (Midfield)

I do have a bit of information on Wang Shuang due to her playing for PSG. One of the brightest prospects in Asian football Wang managed to score 7 times in 18 games for the Parisiennes’ which is impressive as Chinese players tend not to do well abroad. If China stand out in any way it will be because of her.

Elsewhere: Nothing, they tend to have decent goalies...

SPAIN

Best Result: Group Stage 2015

Traditionally Spain have not been a strong side in women’s football, with only one World Cup appearance previous to this year and a poor league system until recently normally you would expect Spain to struggle but they are an up and coming force.

This year saw a game between table toppers Barcelona and Athletico Madrid draw a crowd of 60,000 which is mad really. Barcelona have invested heavily in top players and it paid off with a trip to this years Champions League final.

Interestingly Spain have recently been thorns in the side of the German’s at both club and country level, Spain were the only team not to lose against Germany this year (a 0-0 draw in Germany) and Barcelona stifled Bayern Munich in the Champions League semi final (both national sides draw heavily on these two teams) so Spain could very well be dark horses for this group.

Play to Watch: Alexia Putellas (Midfield)

Spain don’t really have any stars. They use a strong team ethic and are quite interchangeable. Barcelona winger Putellas stands out for me though as she is always a goal threat (close to 1 in 2 for Barcelona despite playing wide)

Elsewhere

PSG centre back Irene Parades is rock solid and has a bit of needle about her and forms a good partnership with team captain Marta Torrejon.

Vicki Losada is a tough midfielder who sued to play for Arsenal. “Jenni” Hermoso should be looked upon to score the goals.

SOUTH AFRICA

Best result: Debut

Ugh, another pretty unknown side. South Africa have never qualified for a World Cup but do have previous tournament experience having qualified for the past 2 Olympic Games (they did nothing of note there either).

Player to Watch: Janine Van Wyk (Defender)

Captain Janine Van Wyk must have something about her after playing in the US NSWL for Houston Dash. With over 150 caps she will add experience at the back, they will need all of it as I expect them to be group whipping girls.

Elsewhere:

Defenders Nothando Vilakazi and Noko Matlou have both had issues with gender. Vilakazi got questioned after protecting her “bits” after lining up in a wall for a free kick. I think that’s a bit harsh personally as a ball in the fanny would presumably not be a fun experience either.

Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GROUP C

AUSTRALIA

Best Result: Quarter Finals 2007, 2011, 2015

Consistently consistent, Australia have always done OK at the World Cup finals without ever laying a glove on the bigger sides. 2019 could finally be the year they do this and move on past the quarter finals.

They topped the Asian qualifying group ahead of Japan and are ready to make the next step in what looks like a fairly open group.

Player To Watch: Sam Kerr (Striker)

Team captain and all time top scorer in the NWSL some have Kerr down as the best player in the world. I wouldn’t go that far myself but she is very impressive and was in the running for FIFA’s player of the year award for 2018 (and award which Marta laughably received again).

With a solid squad of experienced players the Mathildas will be looking to Kerr to add that touch of genuine world class quality to push them forward.

Elsewhere:

With a low centre of gravity striker Lisa De Vanna is a little magician with the ball. Lydia Williams is a solid goalkeeper who won’t let anyone down.

BRAZIL

Best Result: Runners up 2007

Brazil whilst being the best of the South American sides, they really are not that good. They never really have been.

An ageing squad (Formiga 41, Cristiane 34, Marta 33) head coach Vadao has left this years squad with some major flaws. There is no real youth in the side and a reliance on legendary yet aging players will be their downfall.

Player to Watch: Debinha (Striker)

In an attack heavy squad Debinha is the one who stands out for me. A small pacy striker with a big heart she always gets in good positions. Obviously Marta will be in her way but if they end up playing together there is a chance that Debinha makes a name for herself in France.

Elsewhere:

Have I made it clear that I don’t like this side? The squad is a mishmash of players from all over the globe, Marta has looked rubbish the past couple of tournaments yet still wins player of the year every season, I love Formiga but at 41 it’s a big ask for her to keep up with what is turning in to a young women’s game.
    There have been a few behind the scenes issues (mainly to do with the sacking of a former coach in 2017), I think this team is a disaster waiting to happen.

ITALY

Best Result: Quarter Finals 1991

Italy are another side who have never matched the success of their male counterparts. After a decent showing at the first Womens World Cup the Italians only qualified once more for the finals (going out in the group stages) until this year.

They qualified impressively this year overcoming Belgium and Portugal to make their way to only their third finals.

On the plus side the Italian game is improving especially since Juventus have got involved with a women’s side.

Player to watch: Barbara Bonansea (Midfielder)

Not a great deal here to be honest in terms of talent as this side is a work in progress but Juventus winger Bonansea is the stand out.

A tricky wide player with a wicked free kick she will be looked towards to provide chances for the rest of the team.

Elsewhere:

Defender Sara Gama is a tough tackling veteran who seems to have been around for years. Cristiana Girelli should be the striker tasked with scoring goals but will probably spend most of her time isolated up front whilst her team defends none stop. They are not the most fun side to watch.

JAMAICA

Best Result: Debut

The weakest side in the tournament, Jamaica have done brilliantly just to get this far after finishing ahead the much more experienced Costa Rica to claim second place in CONCACAF qualifying.

Player to Watch: Jody Brown (Striker)

I won’t pretend I know loads of about this team because how could I? But I would be looking to Jody Brown to get any goals they happen to score (which will probably be none..) She has 7 goals in 10 games at international level including goals against a much stronger Colombia side and fellow qualifiers Chile.

Elsewhere: Nah

Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GROUP D

ENGLAND

Best Result: Third place 2015

England are genuine contenders this year. Although not in the top echelon of teams they are pretty close to it. Even with the whole Mark Sampson mess they still managed to come third in the last world cup and performed well in the Euros so with a more together squad they stand a really good chance of making at least the final 4.

If England have an issue it is in goal, Karen Bardsley has never fully convinced me and although Mary Earps is good enough to be at Wolfsburg she does not have much experience at the top level.

Player to Watch: Nikita Parris (Striker)

Not a sure fire first teamer at this point but it will only be a matter of time before she makes the striker role her own. She has come on leaps and bounds since I saw her as a young prospect for Everton. Her goal scoring exploits for Manchester City enabled her to be signed by Lyon for next season.

Pacy and strong with a good work rate she impressed in the She Believes Cup (a 4 team competition for the best teams in women’s football) scoring a goal against the USA in March.

Elsewhere:

Lyon’s Lucy Bronze is probably the best right back in women’s football. The rest of the defence is also strong with the experienced Steph Houghton and the bruising Millie Bright being able to stand up to any attack.

Manchester City’s Georgia Stanway is a very exciting prospect in midfield and can also play up front when needed.

Jill Scott, Karen Carney and Jodie Taylor are still around to provide some experience and I really rate Chelsea’s Fran Kirby.

SCOTLAND

I don’t really know what to make about Scotland. They finally qualified for a major tournament at the 2017 Euros but then proceeded to get hammered 6-0 by England. They also got beat 2-1 by a poor Portugal side before weirdly beating Spain 1-0. So they are very erratic to say the least. They are not without ability but there is a large disparity between their best and worst players. I don’t like their chances but you never know…

Player to Watch: Lisa Evans (Midfield)

Evans is a typical winger with a wealth of experience. Evans played successfully in the Bundesliga for Turbine Pottsdam and Bayern Munich before moving to Arsenal in 2017. A WSL winner with the Gunners in 2019 the Perthshire native will be full of confidence going to France but won’t be assisting Vivianne Mediema at international level so she may struggle with lesser talents around her.

Elsewhere: Kim Little is a nice story as she is one of the best Scotland have ever produced yet missed out on their first major tournament at Euro 17 due to injury, She gets another chance to shine now.

Jennifer Beattie is a no nonsense defender and fellow Manchester City player Caroline Weir is a class act in midfield.

JAPAN

Best Result: Winners 2011

In past tournaments Japan would be seen as odds on favourites to win this group but times have changed. Japan are still a good side and reached the final in 2015 (but got hammered by the USA 5-2)

The retirement of 6 top players including legendary Homare Sawa in 2015-16 left a massive rebuilding job to be done by coach Asako Takakura and the job is still not yet complete.

As always Japan are solid technically but I do wonder where their goals will come from. Recent form has not been promising with a 3-0 defeat at the hands of England, a 3-1 loss to France and a 2-2 draw with Germany which could have ended in double figures and Japan were gifted two terrible goals.

Player to watch: Saki Kumagai (Defender)

Another Lyon player (they have a big squad…) the captain is one of three players still in the squad who won the 2011 World Cup, along with Ligue 1 and Champions League wins Kumagai has won it all.

Elsewhere:

Left back Aya Samashima is another world cup winner who along with Rumi Utsugi and Kumagai provides a very experienced back 3 with over 100 caps each.

Mana Iwabuchi is a talented striker but has been plagued by injuries since leaving Bayern Munich two seasons ago.

ARGENTINA

Best Result: Group Stage 2003, 2007

This lot will never be confused for Messi, Maradona or Batistuta. Argentina qualified with just one win and a third placed finish in the South American section only overcoming Colombia (who are actually a much better side)

This team is nothing to write home about, I would like to think they have improved since having the heaviest defeat inflicted on them in Women’s world cup history (11-0 vs Germany in 2007) but I can’t see them getting a point.

Player to watch: Estefania Banini

Banini was highly touted for many years but at 28 years old her chance to be a star has probably gone. If the..erm, Argentinian Messi is ever going to do something this is the time to do it.

Elsewhere:

Sole Jaimes is a tall, rangy striker who plays for Lyon (yes another one…) Jaimes is the only other real talent in this side and even then her ability is in question. At 30 years old she is not a young prospect or anything and has only managed 3 games in Lyon colours (scoring once).

Aldana Cometti is a defender who plays for Sevilla in Spain. She is alright. That’s all I have got.

Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GROUP E

CANADA

Best Result: 4thPlace 2003

One of the great under achievers in women’s football when it comes to the world cup, Canada, like France can never finish the job off.

Another side with lots of talent they have managed to fall at the group stage in 4 tournaments. They are another who suffer from a mix of talent with some world class players mixed in with some who can barely get a game at club level.

I doubt they will fall at the group stage this time as it is a pretty straight forward group.

Player to watch: Christine Sinclair (Striker)

Could it be anyone else? With 181 goals in 282 games for Canada Sinclair is one of, if not the best women’s player ever. At 35 this should be her last major competition but as a player who has never used pace to score goals she could go on forever probably.

A great finisher and as tough as they come the Canadians will still look to her for inspiration as she is a big game player.

Elsewhere:

Keidisha Buchanan and Ashley Lawrence provide a formidable pairing in defence. Buchanan is a nasty piece of work (on the pitch..) and Lawrence adds a bit of craft on the ball.

Up front Manchester City’s Janine Beckie will try to assist Sinclair with some legwork.

NETHERLANDS

This is a tough one to call. Obviously The Netherlands are European champions and in Miedema and Martens they have to genuine world class players.

The problem is they also have a lot of average players beyond the starting 11.

They can beat anybody on their day as they did at Euro 17 in front of their home crowd, it is worth mentioning that before this they had only qualified for one world cup and everything fell perfectly in to place in 2017.

They should easily get out of this group along with Canada, beyond that is anybodies guess.

Player to Watch: Vivianne Meidema (Striker)

Most will point you in the direction of Lieke Martens and that’s fine, The Barcelona forward is a tremendous talent, for me however Miedema is the best striker in the business.

After two successful years at Bayern Munich where she won the Bundesliga at 19 years old she moved to Arsenal and won this years WSL along with the PFA player of the year award. Vivi has everything, pace, power, movement, aerial threat and is a lethal finisher.

With 57 goals in 74 games and at only age 22 the sky is the limit for her.

Elsewhere:

As mentioned Lieke Martens is another world class talent who is more of a provider than a goalscorer.

Former Liverpool winger Shanice Van de Sanden has electric pace, probably the fastest in the women’s game since Elodie Thomis got older. She is highly erratic but also very dangerous.

New Arsenal recruit Jill Roord is a goal scoring midfielder with a great set piece delivery but may struggle to play ahead of teammate Danielle Van de Donk.

The defence is unproven or just not that good, attacking them early would be a smart strategy.

NEW ZEALAND

Best Result: Group Stage 1991, 2007, 2011, 2015

Probably the most boring team. Not on the pitch as such just the fact that they always qualify, they always do nothing and that’s it. I don’t see this year being any different.

They are not a bad side or anything, they are just not particularly good either. They seem to have had the same squad for years now too.

Player to Watch: Abby Erceg (Defender)

New Zealand have a strong experienced defence, Erceg is probably the stand out of the four with well over 100 caps and a career that has took her all over the globe the centre back has came out of international retirement for one more go at success.

Elsewhere:

The rest of the back 4 includes West Ham right back Ria Percival and captain Ali Riley of Chelsea.

Sarah Gregorius is a somewhat prolific striker but she will have her work cut out getting chances.

CAMEROON

Cameroon shocked the world in 2015 by escaping out of their group at the expense of Switzerland. A 6-0 battering of Ecuador was followed by a close 2-1 loss to reigning champions Japan and then a brave 1-0 victory over the Swiss. Even in the second round they only lost 1-0 to China showing just how far the Africans have come on.

That said I don’t expect a repeat this year. The squad is a mixture of abilities scattered all over Europe but mainly in the lower reaches of the French league system.

They work together as a team but how far will that take them?

Player to Watch:
    Gabrielle Onguéné (Striker)

Not a lot stands out for this team but Onguene has a history of scoring goals for her nation and won the 2016 African Cup of Nations player of the tournament.

Elsewhere:

Defender Estelle Johnson of Sky Blue FC is an intriguing call up having spent most of her career in the US system.

Up front Ajara Nchout and Gaelle Enganimount can cause problems with their strength and speed but again like with most minnows, will they get the chance to do so?

Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GROUP F

USA

Best Result: Winners 1991, 1999, 2015

The current holders are obviously a class act and are rightly named favourites for the competition but I have some reservations about them.

Although the likes of Abby Wambach and Hope Solo are long retired they still have many big names in women’s football but Megan Rapinoe (33), Carli Lloyd (36), Becky Sauerbrunn (33), Tobin Heath (31) are all aging, even Alex Morgan (29) has had injury problems. There is not a lot of youth here with only forward Mallory Pugh (21) breaking through.

As I said they are still favourites but if you are looking for some value betting wise I would look to be betting against them as soon as they face someone half decent as I think they are susceptible.

Player to Watch:
    Lindsay Horan (Midfield)

The centre midfielder was touted as being the next big thing in US football. She has had a strange time of things when she moved to PSG from college. It was a successful time for her as she went on to score 46 goals in 54 games playing as a striker but weirdly it didn’t seem to help her development either. After a move back to the USA with Portland Thorns she seemed to settle down a bit in her more preferred midfield role and at 25 years old is just the right age to make an impact at the World Cup.

Elsewhere:

Megan Rapinoe is a quality wide player and attacking midfielder Carli Lloyd is a legend of the game, is this a tournament too far for them though?

Julie Ertz (wife of NFL Tight End Zach Ertz) is an uncompromising defensive midfielder who makes them tough to break down.

CHILE

Not much here. Chile surprised everyone by qualifying ahead of Colombia (who beat them in the first round of qualifying before bombing in the final group). Most of this squad is either based in Chile or in Spain for lesser clubs and as such they don’t really pose much threat to the USA and Sweden. This will be a steep learning curve for them but they do have one shining light…

Player to watch: Christine Endler (Goalkeeper)

The Chilean/German goalkeeper who grew up in America, Endler has just had a great season in France for PSG and won the goalkeeper of the year award in Ligue 1.

She is a very capable footballer in her own right and will often take control of the ball at the back starting attacks off. She is also very strong at penalties. She is also a leader on the pitch and is current captain of the team. She will need all these traits as she will be very busy.

Elsewhere:

Not a lot to say here. Striker Maria Rojas has had a decent season with Slavia Prague and looks to be their only goal threat, defensive midfielder Karen Araya is decent enough.

THAILAND

Best Result: Group Stage 2015

Sorry no, got nothing. They all play in Thailand. They did beat the Ivory Coast in the 2015 World Cup but received beatings at the hands of Germany and Norway (4-0 in each game). They seem quite resolute in defence but meh.

Player to Watch: No idea.

Elsewhere: Not a clue

SWEDEN

Best Result: Runners up 2003

Another traditionally strong nation the Swede’s are another side in something of a rebuild. Top players like Lotta Schelin and Therese Sjogren have retired leaving the Scandinavians with a lack of identity. They are still one of the better sides but I don’t see them reaching the end of the tournament.

Player to Watch: Nilla Fischer (Defender)

Nilla is an absolute beast. A rock solid centre back who likes to make it known who is the boss (it’s her). Captains both Sweden and VFL Wolfsburg and although she is only 5 foot 9 she looks like she is 7 feet tall. Always a threat from set pieces.

Elsewhere:

Kosovo Asilani has never quite pushed on to the level that was expected of her, even after big moves to Manchester City and PSG she has returned back to Sweden to wind down her career. This is her last chance.

Striker/Left winger Fridolino Rolfo has been in great form for the past two seasons at Bayern Munich which has earned her a move to Wolfsburg for next season. That said for some reason she is not always a regular starter for either club or country. If she does play back her to score.

Caroline Seger is a legendary figure in midfield but at 34 is she still capable? I think she is finished personally.

Chelsea goalkeeper Hedvig Lindahl is top quality and has been for many years.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let’s be honest, all anyone is looking for in here is pictures of hot female footballers. Thread does not deliver.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not true at all.

Write-ups have been great from what I've gotten through. It's difficult to follow beyond major tournaments here so this little preview has been wonderful as a build up.

Canada have some younger talent in their squad who will probably begin a transition phase during this tournament. I'd like to see some of the load taken off Sinclair in the group stage which means we could give Leon and Huitema a run. Beckie and Fleming will be key to our success obviously, but it'll be interesting to see where Fleming lines up.

Buchanan on the back end is a beast. Loved the look of her in the Olympics.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    This was really informative. Thanks MMH. I saw bits and bobs of the last one but there definitely seems to be more chat this time around than ever before. Chelsea Ladies' success has certainly piqued my interest in women's football.

Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    This was really informative. Thanks MMH. I saw bits and bobs of the last one but there definitely seems to be more chat this time around than ever before. Chelsea Ladies' success has certainly piqued my interest in women's football.
    Cheers, Yeah Chelsea have got a good side. Emma Hayes has done a brilliant job there.

The English league is getting really strong mainly because they have genuine competition unlike the other two big leagues in France and Germany who have two dominant teams (Lyon and Wolfsburg) and two good teams (PSG and Bayern) the rest are miles behind. With Chelsea, Arsenal and City you don't know who is going to win each year and I think that attracts a decent standard of player.

I made a conscious decision a few years back to not actually follow a team in the women's game and instead decided to follow a handful of players around whatever clubs they ended up at, one reason was because I already follow a crap mens team so didn't want double the pain, (I will go and watch the women's derby though as Prenton Park is just down the road from me) but the main reason was it gave me the ability to get to know more players, more teams and even more of the languages etc. It also gave me more options when streaming games. It does give me a problem though when one of the players joins an English team because following, lets say Arsenal for example because Manuela Zinsberger (Austrian goalkeeper) happens to play for them just feels a bit weird.

It's also nice to have a back up mood swinger football wise of a weekend. Everton got beat on Saturday? No worries, Bayern should trounce SC Sand on the Sunday to take the sting off that etc... It's not quite the same but it's something!

Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Let’s be honest, all anyone is looking for in here is pictures of hot female footballers. Thread does not deliver.
    Oh I could easily do that but where is the craft in it?

WWF Champion
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like how two gay guys showed up to prove Mik wrong there.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    australia
    Quote Originally Posted by MMH View Post
    some have Kerr down as the best player in the world. I wouldn’t go that far myself
    We were friends until this bit.

Good to read some non over the top Australian bias stuff. Local media has them on such a high pedestal that anything less than a win will seem like a huge failure.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    australia
    Also, Chloe Logarzo is going to showcase her awesomeness and be player of the tournament.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Who are we backing top scorer then @MMH

Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Who are we backing top scorer then @MMH
    Always Miedema. 15/2 and in a group with a poor Cameroon, a fairly decent Canada and a stout yet dull New Zealand she could bag a hat full in the group stage. The group should also be tight enough for the Netherlands to not rest any players. Should be able to get her around 15/2 or 7/1.

If you want some value Lea Schuller of Germany, she is about 25/1. Should play, has scored goals all season and the Germans are very attacking and could rack up a cricket score against South Africa. Svenja Huth at 33s is a decent shout too, more of a wide player but is vice captain so should play.

Eugenie Le Sommer at 7/1 is also a good safe bet but she is more of an all round player than a pure goalscorer.

The problem with any womens world cup and top scorers is trying to figure out where the group stage hammering will take place. USA vs Thailand stands out but the goals could come from anywhere there.

Stay away from England for top scorer odds. Too much rotation by Neville means you never know who will play.

Personally I have had a punt on Schuller, its a risk but that kind of value is too good to pass on, especially when they have Alex Popp down as 11/1 who is not really an out and out striker.

Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh and another price that stands out to me as being crazy, Nigeria are 80/1 to win their group! Ok that group has France in so they probably wont win it but if you can find any odds of them escaping the group then take them. The 3 teams who are not France are all pretty much of a similar level. Norway have squad issues and are being priced on past glory, South Korea are exactly what you would imagine South Korea to be and Nigeria have a very good front 2 who could cause them problems.

80/1 is insane.

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Put down some cash on both Miedema and Schuller. Cheers mmh, really enjoyed the previews and I'm looking forward to it now.

Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am actually fuming reading some of the press previews. They are so sloppy. I want a job!

The new Nike ad is boss by the way

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    France should give a tonking on Friday night so thought Le Sommer. She's been eased to 8s with Hills. Big shame none of them are taking it on EW.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    I take it back. Sky have gone 8/1 Mierdama 3 places 1/4

Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    South Korea should at least make it fairly difficult. No idea if they will have first scorer odds on the day but Wendie Renard would be perfect to back for that game. 1 in 3 record at club level, 1 in 5 at International and she is massive. Not bad for a centre back.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    https://www.redzonesports.bet/en/spo...up-2019-women/

A few mobs gone up on top assists as well, have a scan down the bottom market @MMH - anyone stand out?

Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually Renard at 20/1 to win the player of the tournament is very decent.

Shame my pick isn't even listed....

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Will Mierdama even be in the tournament long enough?

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More previews, less scouring womens world cup odds.

Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://www.redzonesports.bet/en/spo...up-2019-women/

A few mobs gone up on top assists as well, have a scan down the bottom market @MMH - anyone stand out?
    Well Sara Dabritz for not actually being on the list when Lina Magull (who basically plays behind her for club and country) is pretty stupid. It's like leaving someone like Suarez out of a men's list. It's a really weird random list of players.

France's corner taker (Majri) isn't there either...No Amandine Henry...

Van De Sanden is decent at 14/1. She is rapid her.

I do love some Fran Kirby at 28/1 but again rotation...

Out of that list I would say Kerr at 28/1. Known more for scoring than assisting but she is far too good to be that price.

The first 3 listed are all a decent shout but not very exciting.

Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah its not without risk, for me she is the best striker in the world though (or certainly the most lethal). She could easily do a Salenko in 94 and score all her goals in one game (against Cameroon too weirdly enough..)

Even with 4 games I think that's enough for her to do some damage. Depends who goes off elsewhere I suppose. I really cant get a grasp on how good the Dutch are. Great up front, bog average in defence. I suppose that usually results in plenty of goals though.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    Such a shame that France goal was offside last night, as that was bloody lovely. Yes, Korea offered very little, but I thought France were great. Thoroughly enjoyed that.

Will be watching England/Scotland tomorrow.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Italy/Australia was great

Defiance is a four letter
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was concerning. A win is a win, but that was leggy as hell.

The Thinking Man's Idiot Simmo Fortyone's Avatar
    Andre giant once eat kid hot dog at arena. He then laugh. I never forgive that fat motherfucker for that
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Good to read some non over the top Australian bias stuff. Local media has them on such a high pedestal that anything less than a win will seem like a huge failure.
    Good to see the coverage is on par with the men's team nowadays.

FFA fucked our chances in this tournament when they turfed Stajcic a few months back for reasons no one is sure of. Unless I've missed it, there's not been a single person who played under him come out and say "yeah he was trash"

World Champion
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll take 1-0 to get our feet going.

Donde esta la biblioteca Pablo Diablo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    US struggles out the gate...

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    australia
    Only 13 is a bit disappointing. Archie Thomson managed that in one game by himself.

Morgan nailed on for golden boot now?

World Champion
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She's probably won it with those 5 goals alone.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's quite impressive to have such a dominating performance coupled with such an embarrassing display at the same time.

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone remember the Brazil/Germany semi-final?

At one point in the second half Germany had the opportunity to counter again while David Luiz was well out of position, Mesut Ozil was on the ball. I think it was already 6 or 7 at that point. Instead of pinging quite an easy ball forward, Ozil turned and played it to his defenders and slowed down the play. As he was running past Ozil, Luiz stuck his hand out and Ozil touched it as he ran by. They'd already won, they didn't need to humiliate them further.

That was squarely in my mind as I watched the second half tonight.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JP View Post
    Everyone remember the Brazil/Germany semi-final?

At one point in the second half Germany had the opportunity to counter again while David Luiz was well out of position, Mesut Ozil was on the ball. I think it was already 6 or 7 at that point. Instead of pinging quite an easy ball forward, Ozil turned and played it to his defenders and slowed down the play. As he was running past Ozil, Luiz stuck his hand out and Ozil touched it as he ran by. They'd already won, they didn't need to humiliate them further.

That was squarely in my mind as I watched the second half tonight.
    I was saying to one of my mates last night that it was a bit of a cunt move leaving the Thai players crying at the final whistle. When it got to 7 with 30 minutes to go, the vast vast majority of teams would have stuck the brakes on and training sessioned their way to the final whistle.

Don't know if it was to do with the Americans being cunts, the women not being as experienced in that kind of scenario, or lack of professionalism or whatever, but i thought it was shit.
    (INSERT SIGNATURE HERE)

The Rosk
    I don't understand that. It's a competitive tournament. This is their careers on show to the world. A goal for anyone means a lot. It's not their fault the opposition keeper is 4ft9.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rosk View Post
    I don't understand that. It's a competitive tournament. This is their careers on show to the world. A goal for anyone means a lot. It's not their fault the opposition keeper is 4ft9.
    Actually it is, they put her on a 60 degree wash. On purpose.

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Explains why she looked so dizzy.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Big up the US team. Elite Winning mentality. They've earned their goal bonuses.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A goal yes. When you're counting out your 4th it's a bit much.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slare View Post
    Don't know if it was to do with the Americans being cunts, the women not being as experienced in that kind of scenario, or lack of professionalism or whatever, but i thought it was shit.
    Experience is nothing. It's common sense.

The Rosk
    Absolute bollocks. I'd be proud to get that many goals for my country. Why the fuck should you feel guilty for another team being shit. If they fluked a win I don't think they'd be making sure the US team were all okay with the misery and embarrassment.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolute bollocks. I'd be proud to get that many goals for my country. Why the fuck should you feel guilty for another team being shit. If they fluked a win I don't think they'd be making sure the US team were all okay with the misery and embarrassment.
    You can be proud and respectful at the same time. Nothing against the amount of goals they scored, just their behaviour in doing so.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    australia
    Wooo. I still think VAR is shit.

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She only heads the ball because of the presence of the striker. For the life of me I cannot fathom why it wasn't given offside.

Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    VAR is indeed awful. It will take away the fun of celebrating a goal soon enough too.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    Already has for me in the CL last season.

And yes, I'm well aware that without it, Spurs would have gone out in the quarters, but the point obviously still stands.

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    VAR is indeed awful. It will take away the fun of celebrating a goal soon enough too.
    Yeah, just like that's happened in Cricket, Rugby, Tennis and American Football. Nobody celebrates anymore, they all just sit silently on their hands and wait for Skynet to let them be happy.

I'm just off for a walk now, I need to moan to some young people how it was better in my day and yell at a cloud.

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    To be fair, certain people like Alex will know I'm a big VAR proponent. But last night when the Raps won, there was this video review at the end that ended up delaying the celebration. It was very weird and I finally understood the complaints people have with VAR

That said when VAR is quick it is still the best choice. Unfortunately it seems to get things wrongs about as much as it gets it right.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Yeah, just like that's happened in Cricket, Rugby, Tennis and American Football. Nobody celebrates anymore, they all just sit silently on their hands and wait for Skynet to let them be happy.

I'm just off for a walk now, I need to moan to some young people how it was better in my day and yell at a cloud.
    Come on man. Those who go should know.

Simon
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo Diablo View Post
    To be fair, certain people like Alex will know I'm a big VAR proponent. But last night when the Raps won, there was this video review at the end that ended up delaying the celebration. It was very weird and I finally understood the complaints people have with VAR

That said when VAR is quick it is still the best choice. Unfortunately it seems to get things wrongs about as much as it gets it right.
    Would the alternative - the Raptors being robbed of a historic victory by a bad decision - be better?

WWF Champion
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The celebrations are definitely not as mental now, everybody's anxious to see if it's going to VAR, then when the goal is finally given the reaction isn't the same.
    Last edited by wardy; June 15th, 2019 at 12:52 PM.

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Would the alternative - the Raptors being robbed of a historic victory by a bad decision - be better?
    Well that did almost happen anyways with a foul that occurred when a guy tripped over his own foot and for an offensive goaltend. Which points to the inconsistency that is necessary with these review systems as you obviously can’t review every action that occurs.

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There was a video doing the rounds on twitter a few weeks ago of an Ian Wright scoring against Italy thanks to a majestic Scholes long pass with so much backspin it didn't seem real.

That pass for the Cameroon goal was so similar in technique, out of this world. Fooled the keeper all ends up.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    This US squad is box office. I want them to get double figures again.

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look like they can score from every set piece.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    australia
    I feel like staying up for the final group game was a poor choice and waking up for it would have been a better one. Oh well, only 90 till it starts now.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    australia
    Sam Kerrhill goes pretty good.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    australia
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Only 13 is a bit disappointing. Archie Thomson managed that in one game by himself.

Morgan nailed on for golden boot now?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurley View Post
    She's probably won it with those 5 goals alone.
    Kerr ties it up with 4 this game.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good. I hope Morgan doesn't score another goal all tournament. Kerr all the way.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yas come on Scotland! We could still sneak through via the third place back door.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well fuck.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh ffs!

Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh Scotland....

I know its a tough group and their first ever World Cup but they have some top quality in that side, they shouldn't be throwing a 3-0 win away against Argentina.

This keeper staying on the line thing is shite too. Should be fair game once the whistle blows. No coincidence that the retakes have all gone in because the game is basically stuck in one spot.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    VAR and the stupid strict rules are ruining it but yeah we shouldn't have got into that situation in the first place. We were looking so good and I really liked Cuthbert in particular. We were looking so great but switched off and crumbled after that. Mental second half collapse.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Oh ffs!
    What a canon. Great payoff.

Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolute scenes in the Cameroon vs New Zealand game. What a brilliant finish to the match.

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think I've ever taken against a team so rapidly and as strongly as I did with Cameroon today.

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    I think I'm slowly becoming VAR only for offside + goal line tech.

Although I guess that was the new handball rule in effect?

Simon
    I don't think I've ever taken against a team so rapidly and as strongly as I did with Cameroon today.
    One of the craziest games I've ever seen, I don't even really know where to start.

First thing to say is that the decisions that went against Cameroon were correct - Ellen White was comfortably onside, and the Cameroon striker was marginally offside. The Cameroon players' rage at those decisions suggests a fundamental lack of understanding of the offside rule, which is baffling - it just doesn't make any sense that women who are presumably around the game constantly don't know the laws about interfering with play and the idea of what constitutes offside in terms of VAR. Really basic stuff.

Despite their protestations, Cameroon were by far the beneficiaries of the referees. At bare minimum they should have had two players sent off, if not three or even four. They should have given away a penalty as well, but it seems as though the referee just didn't want the aggro.

England weren't even very good IMO, I can't claim to be an expert on the women's game at all but the ease with which Cameroon got through them in the second half was crazy - simple long balls over the top consistently let them through on goal, which shouldn't even happen in Sunday league. I've watched a fair amount of this World Cup and based on yesterday it seems unlikely that England could win the tournament if they played like that against any of the better sides...MMH or someone else more informed might be able to confirm this, I dunno. USA and France look a world away from the England standard.

Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the craziest games I've ever seen, I don't even really know where to start.

First thing to say is that the decisions that went against Cameroon were correct - Ellen White was comfortably onside, and the Cameroon striker was marginally offside. The Cameroon players' rage at those decisions suggests a fundamental lack of understanding of the offside rule, which is baffling - it just doesn't make any sense that women who are presumably around the game constantly don't know the laws about interfering with play and the idea of what constitutes offside in terms of VAR. Really basic stuff.

Despite their protestations, Cameroon were by far the beneficiaries of the referees. At bare minimum they should have had two players sent off, if not three or even four. They should have given away a penalty as well, but it seems as though the referee just didn't want the aggro.

England weren't even very good IMO, I can't claim to be an expert on the women's game at all but the ease with which Cameroon got through them in the second half was crazy - simple long balls over the top consistently let them through on goal, which shouldn't even happen in Sunday league. I've watched a fair amount of this World Cup and based on yesterday it seems unlikely that England could win the tournament if they played like that against any of the better sides...MMH or someone else more informed might be able to confirm this, I dunno. USA and France look a world away from the England standard.
    The offside law is badly flawed though and this world cup is showing it.

Of course you can say Duggan was not interfering with play but as VAR is now meaning that the flag doesn't go up until the phase of play (ugh) ends the Cameroon defender kind of has to step back and account for Duggan being where she is, this in turn leads to White being onside.

Then we have the incidents in the Brazil-Australia and Sweden-USA games that made an absolute mockery of both the offside rule and VAR. Both players were offside, neither was called offside and their presence in an offside position made the defenders do what they did. It's massively flawed.

They really should just go back to offside being offside, it's so much easier.

The Cameroon offside was pretty harsh, I mean technically I guess it's kind of offside, just about, maybe but I can see why they would get angry about it when they get "screwed" the other way over a similar incident.

Obviously they should not have reacted how they did but I dunno, I quite enjoyed that! It was proper old school madness.

As for England, I thought they did well to rise above the madness yesterday. A less well drilled side could have crumbled. England stand a chance, it's a big ask but on their day they can beat anybody, conversely though they can be beat by anyone. They have a solid defence and have goals in the side though so it's not out of the realms of possibility for them to win it. The semi final will be their toughest game against you would assume either USA or France. That said they battered France 4-1 last time they played last year and drew 2-2 with the USA this year so...

Don't forget France have struggled after the first game, they are a much better side than Brazil but struggled against them. Germany are plodding along nicely and are somewhat under the radar, they have been pretty workmanlike but have not conceded a goal yet and Maroszan being out as a big plus for me as I think the team plays better without her.

USA are by far the best side player for player but they have yet to be properly tested and I think they can be got at. I think Spain will make it difficult for them today as they are strong in defence but I doubt they have enough cutting edge to beat them, if it goes to pens though who knows...

Simon
    The offside law is badly flawed though and this world cup is showing it.

Of course you can say Duggan was not interfering with play but as VAR is now meaning that the flag doesn't go up until the phase of play (ugh) ends the Cameroon defender kind of has to step back and account for Duggan being where she is, this in turn leads to White being onside.

Then we have the incidents in the Brazil-Australia and Sweden-USA games that made an absolute mockery of both the offside rule and VAR. Both players were offside, neither was called offside and their presence in an offside position made the defenders do what they did. It's massively flawed.
    Now this I completely agree with. "Interfering with play" is way more complex than just whether or not someone plays or attempts to play the ball - for example if a defender steps up to play someone offside, then by definition they are interfering with play, which isn't right if them stepping up leaves someone else unmarked to score. I don't really know what the answer is though, because simply calling it offside if someone is miles away and uninvolved seems silly. Maybe a tightening up of what is considered interfering?

The whole thing with the flag not going up is just idiotic, it's causing so many more problems than it solves.

Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now this I completely agree with. "Interfering with play" is way more complex than just whether or not someone plays or attempts to play the ball - for example if a defender steps up to play someone offside, then by definition they are interfering with play, which isn't right if them stepping up leaves someone else unmarked to score. I don't really know what the answer is though, because simply calling it offside if someone is miles away and uninvolved seems silly. Maybe a tightening up of what is considered interfering?

The whole thing with the flag not going up is just idiotic, it's causing so many more problems than it solves.
    I don't think there is a way of solving it other than having offside as being offside regardless. Players are taught to play to the whistle (or flag in this case) so even if a player is obviously offside and not interfering with play the defender still needs to take the player into account just in case the officials missed them being offside. They can also come back into play which is flawed as the player had the advantage of being so far up the field in the first place.

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's nout wrong with the offside rule, but there is a problem with some referees understanding of what interfering with play is. That Brazil/Australia example just took the piss.

- - - Updated - - -

Do you guys remember the Arsenal Shuffle? We don't want a return to that mind numbing bollocks.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That has to be Sinclair. Beckie should be off the field.

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Wasn't a bad pen, but seriously how does the second most prolific goal scorer in women's history NOT take the penalty?

World Champion
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a bad penalty, but there's a big boost in confidence when the keeper sees Beckie step up to the spot. No excuses, Sinclair takes that 100% of the time.

Beckie isn't in form. You don't give her a penalty in the biggest game of your teams history to boost her confidence.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm obviously joking about the importance of the match, but it's a bit frustrating to watch this. Sinclair's final World Cup game. Shame.

too big to fail Tainted Eclipse's Avatar
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ussr
    i dont have any critical eye for the game but this netherlands/japan match is by far the most entertaining match i've watched of this tournament.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, I only caught the last 15 minutes but Japan's attacks at the end were great. I was gutted for them when the penalty was given.

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Ball don't lie

Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unlucky, made a good go of it.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Typical bottle job by England.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't been watching but this was savage.

Football manager? Peter Griffin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH WE DRINK TEA SAVAGE!

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ukraine
    Have the USA realised they've become the arrogant team that they've been taught (by their Hollywood films) to root against?

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll be totally honest I didn't even realize until now that the US has the best women's soccer program in the world. They've won 3 of 7 world cups with a chance to go 4 for 8? News to me. But I love their attitude. Gonna try and catch the final.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH WE DRINK TEA SAVAGE!
    she got you good fucker

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ussr
    Quote Originally Posted by Fro View Post
    I'll be totally honest I didn't even realize until now that the US has the best women's soccer program in the world. They've won 3 of 7 world cups with a chance to go 4 for 8? News to me. But I love their attitude. Gonna try and catch the final.

- - - Updated - - -

she got you good fucker
    it's pretty funny, we underperform big in men's soccer relative to our performance in other sports because we just don't care about it, but we care about women's soccer way more than anywhere else because for whatever reason it become a really popular sport for girls in high school and college, so we select for it more strongly than other countries.

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tainted Eclipse View Post
    it's pretty funny, we underperform big in men's soccer relative to our performance in other sports because we just don't care about it, but we care about women's soccer way more than anywhere else because for whatever reason it become a really popular sport for girls in high school and college, so we select for it more strongly than other countries.
    Before I laugh, a lot, loudly, with swears, lots of swears, what on blooming Earth do you mean by "we select for it more strongly than other countries"?

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ussr
    The women who would end up being very good at soccer are more likely to get into it because women’s soccer is a bigger deal in American, while the men who would end up being good at men’s soccer are less likely to get into it relative to other countries because we don’t care about men’s soccer as much. If there’s something a culture values a lot, someone who would naturally be good at it is more likely to actually end up doing it.

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where does select come into that?

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s an interesting theory but I’m not sure it holds water. While I’m not too in touch with soccer fandom I don’t think we care about the women’s national team more. It’s just that they’re really good so we watch them. If the men’s team got to the WC final it would be even more hyped.

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Where does select come into that?
    While I disagree with his overall premise that the US cares more than anywhere else.

I imagine he means with funding, which considering the money in US sports as a whole, might be true even if the percentage spent is lower compared to other countries.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think he just meant the sport is more popular for women, meaning a higher population play it, giving them higher odds of developing players. His theory seems to be based on the Chinese method of streamlining players at a young age into various sports their bodies are designed for.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Accy View Post
    Have the USA realised they've become the arrogant team that they've been taught (by their Hollywood films) to root against?
    America being arrogant in sports is nothing new.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ukraine
    So they’re just unaware.