User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AEW Double or Nothing, 05/25/2019

Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only real complaint i have is with the director. Whoever was calling it missed a couple of things but that can be ironed out easily as they do more.

Intercontinental Champion
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spedizzo View Post
    It’s real to him damnit
    Yes, you are right.....just like the people telling me they me that " they feel Jerry" at every post Grateful Dead show since he dropped dead in 1995 .

To quote one of Jerry's best know numbers, "one man gathers what another man spills"

Ive got a review to add later, but I am Going to watch it again from the very beginning with my daughter who is thankfully splitting the price with me. (I started during the six women tag) . Will not neglect to report back later.

too big to fail Tainted Eclipse's Avatar
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ussr
    meltzer said the model is going to be 4 quarterly PPVs a year. $50 is still steep but i like that model.

you either die a hero... Morrison's Avatar
    or live long enough to see yourself become a dumdum.
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spedizzo View Post
    I checked this out but I didn’t really know who any non ex-WWE guy was and I was half distracted.

Who was that bald guy with markings on his face when the lights went off then back?

was weird seeing Bret Hart in the ring with a bunch of Indy nobodies. Although that guy who was cutting a promo on Bret was pretty good. That jungle boy guy looks really odd

Cody/Dustin was entertaining but I felt the main event was really slow and lost my interest. I was expecting a 7 star Dave Meltzer classic but it wasn’t in the Tokyo Dome I guess.

the production was really good and felt new but had a classic feel.

hopefully these guys take off, but they need to penetrate the market with kids. I did not see one child in the audience and those are your ones who will buy t shirts, toys, etc. Only so far you can go with us fat creepy 30 plus year olds.
    the elite have made most of their money by selling merch to adults.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NWo4LifeOr2Years View Post
    Jeesh, you guys need to get out more.
    You need to care less what other people are doing.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    They made a massive deal about 10 counts in tag team matches and then never enforced it. In the 6 man tag match they went 10 minutes without the legal men in the ring.

Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i saw it as less of a big deal about enforcing a 10 count and more of them pushing the increase in count as a way to say we dont give as much of a shit about the rule in general.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid_Planet View Post
    So it turns out Moxley is going to wrestle for someone that can pay him what he's worth and not just do a bunch of indie shots like the bullshit story that's been going around since it became known he was done with WWE.

Good for him. And I really hope this is the start of something. WWE clearly needs repeated kicks in the balls to get them motivated.
    What about losing a midcarder to a rival is supposed to motivate them?

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't end up watching this after all but I am going to make a point of at least dialing up the Cody/Dustin match for sure. Glad to hear the show seems like a pretty good success for the most part.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Losing someone that they groomed. "Jon Moxley" meant very little to anyone before he got TV time on Raw and Smackdown for years and years. He was a part of the most over stable since DX and was made into a face of the company. Now he's taking what WWE gave him, a recognizable face, and making money with it somewhere else. Somewhere else that intends on becoming the first real competition WWE has had in 20 years.

I know that would sting my ass a little if I'm WWE.

This isn't about how many ppvs Dean Ambrose main evented for Vince. It's about how much time and energy was spent on Ambrose for him to leave and go to the competition.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Double or Nothing was great!

-Double Amputee Dustin Thomas hitting the springboard 450 was awesome.
    -I thought Joey Janela was dead from that Luchasaurus chokeslam.
    -I really enjoyed SCU vs. CIMA T-Hawk and Lindaman
    -I LOVED the 6 woman Joshi Tag Match. Yuka Sakasaki and Emi Sakura (i hope i got that right) are STARS!
    -Cody vs Goldust was captivating and I thoroughly enjoyed that
    -Young Bucks vs Penta and Fenix was good, but possibly would have been the best opener ever.
    -Jericho vs Omega was good, I thought Jericho would win but was honestly surprised when he did
    -I was on my 26th hour of being awake, but I made it through with NO DESIRE to fast forward. Moxley gave me another shot of adrenaline, that was awesome!

Loved the show

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Losing someone that they groomed. "Jon Moxley" meant very little to anyone before he got TV time on Raw and Smackdown for years and years. He was a part of the most over stable since DX and was made into a face of the company. Now he's taking what WWE gave him, a recognizable face, and making money with it somewhere else. Somewhere else that intends on becoming the first real competition WWE has had in 20 years.

I know that would sting my ass a little if I'm WWE.

This isn't about how many ppvs Dean Ambrose main evented for Vince. It's about how much time and energy was spent on Ambrose for him to leave and go to the competition.
    I'm sure they're delighted AEW are giving such big money to WWE jobbers and midcarders. If they cared then make no mistake that he would've been stopped from appearing yesterday.

He was no draw and isn't a mainstream recognisable face.

Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure they're delighted AEW are giving such big money to WWE jobbers and midcarders. If they cared then make no mistake that he would've been stopped from appearing yesterday.

yeah, wwe typically has an extended farewell tour for 'jobbers and midcarders' that they don't really care about.

ffs.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ussr
    If they cared then make no mistake that he would've been stopped from appearing yesterday.
    how

Intercontinental Champion Jitters's Avatar
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problem with me was there's too many cringy moments like the posing in between moves you get a lot of hand gestures, too much show boasting I don't mind a little bit but it becomes all a bit Butlins to me by that I mean it's something I would expect to see in a small hall somewhere it's all very basic.

Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tainted Eclipse View Post
    how
    i assume he means they would've done all they could to prevent him from leaving, like throwing more money and creative incentives at him or some shit. cause to him it's inconceivable that someone may just want to move on no matter what the offer is, i guess.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    My friend wondered how enforceable the WWE contract is as it's just a pay deal with some incentives. No compensation for travel, hotels and dinning are kinda big deals for contractors who travel. I'm sure WWE has a ton lawyers who have gone through them, but there is also a reason the WWF is now WWE thanks to those lawyers.

Football manager? Peter Griffin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    What?

Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
    What?
    im pretty sure I understand everything he's trying to say, but it's all dumb anyway.

sounds like his friend was wondering how enforceable a wwe contract is, in the case of say someone currently under contract purposefully breaching it by showing up for another company, since wwe wrestlers are classified as independent contractors but dont have a lot of the rights and privileges of true independent contractors.

then he's saying that probably couldnt be used as a loophole cause the wwe have a ton of lawyers that must have already gone through that possibility and are sure it wouldnt hold up in court. but he then seems to call the competency of the lawyers into question since the wwf had to change to the wwe, not being able to defeat the world wildlife fund on that legal hurdle.

guaranteed 99.9% of the signed wwe roster wouldnt risk burning that bridge by breaching their contract to show up on an aew show. and the case vs the wwf has less to do with lawyers and talent contracts and more to do with just outright violating terms of an agreement with another company.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    My friend's theory after watching the John Oliver episode is someone can walk out or fight the contract as it is fairly one sided for most of the roster.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ussr
    if AEW wanted to open the pocket book and do it, have someone just quit WWE and show up on their TV the next day, i feel like at the end the case would be decided in AEW's/the wrestler's favor. if they're independent contracts no way should a clause that they can't just quit and start working somewhere else whenever they want be enforceable. WWE relies on the threat of an expensive legal battle even if WWE is in the wrong, and guys not wanting to burn a bridge to uphold these clauses.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Mox vs Pentagon is booked for my local promotion (NEW) in August. Mmmmmm

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are no real individual draws anymore. Not really. But if you watch wrestling you know exactly who Ambrose is and who The Shield are. Most over faction in WWE since DX. And one of them works for someone else now.

And again this is really more about the simple fact that someone of note, left. It doesn't really matter who it was.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watched Dustin/Cody on youtube and it was pretty good. I will probably tune in when they get their TV show on TNT started but no way in hell am I paying $59.99 to watch anything on PPV. But yeah, work on signing Punk because that would be epic.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Morrison View Post
    yeah, wwe typically has an extended farewell tour for 'jobbers and midcarders' that they don't really care about.

ffs.
    Wwe has also spent the past five years signing anyone in the world who has ever worked for tna, ROH, or njpw, so a bit weird to say that AEW is throwing money at WWE “mid-carders”.

Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hero! View Post
    Wwe has also spent the past five years signing anyone in the world who has ever worked for tna, ROH, or njpw, so a bit weird to say that AEW is throwing money at WWE “mid-carders”.
    it's the most wackjob stance ive seen taken surrounding all of this.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was pleased to see they actually went the MMA route for building the card. WWE has the mindset that they've got to manipulate the card so fans can have a comedown after a big match. I think they structured DON in a way that didn't have to put a match earlier in the card than it needed to be.

Commentary was pretty rough in various parts of the evening. Alex Marvez is fine as a shill but he doesn't bring much of anything for actual in-ring commentary. Excalibur was really solid when it came to in-ring commentary but he was very hit or miss when it was banter time between matches. JR was better than what he's shown on AXS commentary with NJPW and I think he got a little better as the card went along, which I think coincided with the fact the latter half of the show featured people he was more familiar with. I was put off with his annoyed philosophical shtick he had at points. I'm concerned in some ways with the commentary because I don't really know if it all clicked between the three of them. I'm more concerned because JR and I believe others said they had run throughs on stuff in the weeks leading up to the event so if they had those prep times and it still was rough is a concern to me.

I do see the concern of the clear, deliberate breakdown of the haves and have nots on the roster. The top of the card is clearly established and built well, you've got three or four guys they tried to establish as the midcard acts and then the rest in terms of singles performers. I would think there's a solid framework there but there's a potential challenge in almost a quasi WWE problem now with the wild card. AEW is going to need to work on their weekly show in building potential their next crop but you've got the established top of the card that will need time, an expressed interest in putting a shine on tag teams, and a women's division that needs to be built up.

There's a distinct philosophical approach that showed me how AEW could play to obvious, logical strengths where WWE fails: MJF and Baron Corbin. It's clear that Corbin gets a lot of heat but it's getting confused now by WWE and they throw him out there more. It's definitely go-away heat at this point. MJF is a prick and he knows how to play to that strength. Corbin is a prick as well, but they don't know how to convey that in a way that makes you want to see him get his ass kicked. People just want him off the TV. People can be entertained by MJF.

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jon Moxley was a midcarder?! Guess being a world champion and part of the most over faction in the last decade will do that.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Ambrose had an inconsequential world title reign which opened with him leaving the title on a taxi because he forgot he was champion, a tone of small-time that continued throughout his reign. He was never a main eventer as an individual.

He didn't get a "farewell tour" either. He got beat several times and then an off camera promo on his last appearance.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    God, you're tedious. He was consistently popular as a babyface from 2014 until they turned him last year. They had golden opportunities to pull the main event trigger on him in '14 and early to mid '16, but they squandered them both. His world title reign didn't set the world on fire, but he hit his stride once he started working with AJ and Cena.

The final run with The Shield was as good of a farewell tour as a departing talent is going to get in WWE.

Anyway...

https://mobile.twitter.com/AEWrestli...338236418?s=19

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    You've reaffirmed my point.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Hero! View Post
    it's alright Hero, I'm sure AEW will do very well.

"But...but...but...WWE have been doing it for years"

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's just objectively wrong. They put him over their current Universal champion clean as a sheet 5 months ago in the top promoted match of their flagship brand. He was a midcarder once they knew he was leaving (besides the Shield reunions), but prior to that he was one of their top stars. Main event segments, main event matches. A level below Rollins, Reigns, Styles and Bryan but unequivocally one of their main players. The big Reigns feud was in the back pocket to be played as well.

There's money to be made outside WWE now, but more importantly there's an audience. If you left 10 years ago, TNA might have put food on the table but could never draw a crowd. Leave WWE now and you've got 6 figures, merchandise, weekly TV exposure, and playing your hits to good crowds. Ambrose leaving is a marker for guys that don't want to work in the WWE bubble and all it entails, positive and negative.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Batter View Post
    objectively. Main event segments, main event matches.
    How many? and with whom?

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ambrose might not be a Kevin Nash leaving for WCW.

Bur he's definitely a Scott Hall.

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ambrose had an inconsequential world title reign which opened with him leaving the title on a taxi because he forgot he was champion, a tone of small-time that continued throughout his reign. He was never a main eventer as an individual.

He didn't get a "farewell tour" either. He got beat several times and then an off camera promo on his last appearance.
    Anyone leaving gets jobbed out, that's standard. He won the Shield triple threat for the title and was first pick for Smackdown in the 2016 draft. He had a great feud with AJ Styles and the Shield reunion was excellent.

He got lost in the shuffle at times, but he was booked like shit then.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    After all that went on I am actually interested to watch Raw now, No way Vince/Hunter don't retort.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How many? and with whom?
    Just the 13 on PPV when excluding Royal Rumble's. He'd have been the closing segment of Raw, Smackdown or PPV over 100 times. It's not an argument. The effect of him in AEW can be, but his significance to WWE programming in his tenure, up to the very end, can not.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    I doubt it's 13 PPV main events on his own, even in 8 years. Objectively, of course.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I doubt it's 13 PPV main events on his own, even in 8 years. Objectively, of course.
    Dude, just give it up. This is a silly hill to die on.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    It's more like a little over 6 years. Also, it's fairly easy to look up if you doubt it so much.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    it's the most wackjob stance ive seen taken surrounding all of this.
    Yup

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ambrose mattered so much to WWE that they actually put his last house show appearance live on the Network. Who else have they bothered to do that for?

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    It was dubbed as The Shield's farewell but yes. Not that it has any relevance to the initial point I made. The leaders of the fanclub have changed the discussion to try and cry "wackjob" because all praise AEW and Stone Cold Jon Moxley.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was dubbed as The Shield's farewell but yes. Not that it has any relevance to the initial point I made. The leaders of the fanclub have changed the discussion to try and cry "wackjob" because all praise AEW and Stone Cold Jon Moxley.
    How did the discussion change? You argued that WWE don't care about AEW signing Ambrose, a mid-carder. Everyone else is arguing about why they would care and whether he's actually a midcarder.

Also, have you considered that a majority of people in this thread have been very open about the things they didn't like from this show on top of the things they did? Like, be pro-WWE. That's fine. But you act like it's not worth liking AEW just because of the hype.

Did you even watch the show?

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alex has had a shocker here.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Sincere apologies. I had forgotten that Dean Ambrose main evented 8 times in 8 years and thus sent shockwaves through WWE, they'll struggle to recover, AEW is the best.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has it not crossed your mind that WWE being pissed/annoyed/concerned about Moxley joining AEW doesn't mean the world is ending?

Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol. you're such a weird fucking person. this stance you have is just fucking dumb. i was critiquing double or nothing as it aired. I've shat on ambrose for years cause he's been boring and lazy. nobody else in here arguing with you are blindly hyping up AEW. ffs.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho666Soldier View Post
    Has it not crossed your mind that WWE being pissed/annoyed/concerned about Moxley joining AEW doesn't mean the world is ending?
    No, cos you told me it was. Please clarify?

Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sincere apologies. I had forgotten that Dean Ambrose main evented 8 times in 8 years and thus sent shockwaves through WWE, they'll struggle to recover, AEW is the best.
    what in the hell are you doing? why are you like this?

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ussr
    clearly alex is trolling

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    lol. you're such a weird fucking person. this stance you have is just fucking dumb. i was critiquing double or nothing as it aired. I've shat on ambrose for years cause he's been boring and lazy. nobody else in here arguing with you are blindly hyping up AEW. ffs.
    You're right. Jon Moxley leaving caused WWE a big shockwave and anyone arguing otherwise is a wackjob because he's a big star. But he's long term been lazy and boring and AEW isn't that good.

Good job we cleared it up and your heart rate can lower now.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ussr
    "you're disagreeing with my wacky anti-AEW argument because you're an AEW fanboy" is a huge growth market in the trolling industry. get in before the bubble bursts.

Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're right. Jon Moxley leaving caused WWE a big shockwave and anyone arguing otherwise is a wackjob because he's a big star. But he's long term been lazy and boring and AEW isn't that good.

Good job we cleared it up and your heart rate can lower now.
    yaaaaaawwwnnnn.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Tainted Eclipse View Post
    "you're disagreeing with my wacky anti-AEW argument because you're an AEW fanboy" is a huge growth market in the trolling industry. get in before the bubble bursts.
    Woah woah woah, where did I say anything anti AEW?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess you could argue that he's upper midcard talent. He still brought a lot of value to the brand. Hard to make money off of The Shield (definitely a main event act) if one guy is missing. He fought Brock and I doubt that they would waste Brock payday on a midcarder. He put over Bobby and Drew on the way out, 2 future main eventers.

I guess we'd have to learn what your idea of a main eventer is. Is it the guys who close the most shows. If that's the case then who are the main eventers in your eyes?

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Must be only Reigns, Rollins, AJ and possibly Bryan from the full timers.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RuneEdge View Post
    You need to care less what other people are doing.

Take
    A
    Great
    Big
    Chill
    Pill ;
    Its
    Only
    The
    Internet...
    And besides, it's an open discussion in which everybody is given the same equal rights and opportunity to respond.

So a man in his thirties openly admitting he cried over a fake wrestling angle is absolutely no different than a grown woman crying over an angle in 'One Life To Live' on the soaps - I've seen them openly laughed at and mocked plenty by men.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Men with tiny penises and a inferiority complex. But you a real man because you don't show emotion, Am I right old yeller?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I watched it with my daughter...

got review coming when my back doesn't feel like Dustin Rhodes' face.

These pain management guys are ever ever so tolerant of my pain.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    Crying over two Brothers going out there to honor their father who passed away is nothing to be ashamed of.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NWo4LifeOr2Years View Post
    Take
    A
    Great
    Big
    Chill
    Pill ;
    Its
    Only
    The
    Internet...
    And besides, it's an open discussion in which everybody is given the same equal rights and opportunity to respond.

So a man in his thirties openly admitting he cried over a fake wrestling angle is absolutely no different than a grown woman crying over an angle in 'One Life To Live' on the soaps - I've seen them openly laughed at and mocked plenty by men.

I didnt cry over a fake wrestling angle. I cried at the thought of the journey and everything Cody had done that night. And the pain of wishing his late father could be there to see that moment.

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any idea if they'll release this on DVD/Blu Ray? I heard solid things about the top 3 matches and I got to see the Moxley stuff so that was cool.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finally finished this, loved it. Felt all fresh and new. You think this could be a long term thing to compete with the big boys?

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a matter of if they can build an audience on TNT and if they can coherently build a weekly TV program. The very little we saw in terms of backstage programming was hit or miss. I do like the production work they showed with their quasi BTE stuff at the end of the preshow. I have to imagine BTE is in relative trouble in terms of staying a thing once this show goes live. I know Matt talked about it and I would have to think that's legit.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    You rubes, Russo has it sussed, WWE and AEW are in cahoots, We are being worked.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BGMaverick View Post
    It's a matter of if they can build an audience on TNT and if they can coherently build a weekly TV program. The very little we saw in terms of backstage programming was hit or miss. I do like the production work they showed with their quasi BTE stuff at the end of the preshow. I have to imagine BTE is in relative trouble in terms of staying a thing once this show goes live. I know Matt talked about it and I would have to think that's legit.
    I agree.

It'll be interesting to see what they bring to the table on a weekly basis.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I wrote this after I watched it this weekend but I think the weekly show is going to have a Smackdown "problem" in the sense it's got a main event scene that is definitely worth looking at. They've already said they want to place an emphasis on tag team wrestling and want to build a women's division. I do think they've said they don't want to roll the same people out every week, which fits more to what I envisioned was ideal for Smackdown: following the NXT formula for usage. I think their goal should be to spend a month or two months building one of their lower, unknown characters and use that time to make that person hopefully matter much more than the beginning of the process. That doesn't mean you abandon them after the timeframe but you spend time on a project and hopefully build it to a place where you've got a new player into the programming.

If wins and losses are going to matter in this company, I imagine they've got to avoid these bigger performers crossing paths every week or every two weeks for matches or you just burn everything through the ground like WWE does. These bigger acts need to be like ships passing through the night, stacking wins or moments on top of each other for when they actually cross paths its a big-ass deal.

There's a formula to work with but they have to stick to it. More importantly, they have to stick to it and they have to hope people watch.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BGMaverick View Post
    I think I wrote this after I watched it this weekend but I think the weekly show is going to have a Smackdown "problem" in the sense it's got a main event scene that is definitely worth looking at. They've already said they want to place an emphasis on tag team wrestling and want to build a women's division. I do think they've said they don't want to roll the same people out every week, which fits more to what I envisioned was ideal for Smackdown: following the NXT formula for usage. I think their goal should be to spend a month or two months building one of their lower, unknown characters and use that time to make that person hopefully matter much more than the beginning of the process. That doesn't mean you abandon them after the timeframe but you spend time on a project and hopefully build it to a place where you've got a new player into the programming.

If wins and losses are going to matter in this company, I imagine they've got to avoid these bigger performers crossing paths every week or every two weeks for matches or you just burn everything through the ground like WWE does. These bigger acts need to be like ships passing through the night, stacking wins or moments on top of each other for when they actually cross paths its a big-ass deal.

There's a formula to work with but they have to stick to it. More importantly, they have to stick to it and they have to hope people watch.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to BGMaverick again.

This is probably the best description to describe a booking philosophy that I've ever heard.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm curious to see who will be the core of AEW. You need guys that people go "That's an AEW guy" not a "That's a NJPW-ROH-AEW-CZW-PROGRESS guy!" I don't mean right off the bat but eventually. Right now they have the benefit of being in a time where wrestlers can still be visible without television. It helps tremendously, even if it's a little. But they definitely don't want AEW to look like a company who's talent has to work for 12 other promotions to stay relevant, or financially afloat.

I do have to say when you read people's opinion about this 1 show and how much of a game changer it was for those particular fans, that's a decent start.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho666Soldier View Post
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to BGMaverick again.

This is probably the best description to describe a booking philosophy that I've ever heard.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    I'm curious to see who will be the core of AEW. You need guys that people go "That's an AEW guy" not a "That's a NJPW-ROH-AEW-CZW-PROGRESS guy!" I don't mean right off the bat but eventually. Right now they have the benefit of being in a time where wrestlers can still be visible without television. It helps tremendously, even if it's a little. But they definitely don't want AEW to look like a company who's talent has to work for 12 other promotions to stay relevant, or financially afloat.

I do have to say when you read people's opinion about this 1 show and how much of a game changer it was for those particular fans, that's a decent start.
    I’m curious to see if that’s actually a viable framework now. At a core level, you’d obviously like that but if you’re outside of WWE, you’re probably floating to other companies. It doesn’t sound like AEW is signing people and saying you can only work for them. That could change if they’re successful and profitable but doesn’t seem to be changing for the foreseeable future.

The biggest thing, to me, is they work logically. The shit makes sense and is coherent. They’ve had time to create to that point but it gets much harder when you have to do it every week. Another thing is the body. They’ve had time to bulk up or trim down and get in the best shape of their lives. That grind is going to wear eventually.

In a basic summation to your question: I image Omega, Cody, The Bucks, Page, MJF, Moxley, Britt Baker, and Brandi are their core. Jericho will be the Ace in the hole to lure people in but that guy isn’t going to be around every week as a regular compared to those other people.

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is Orange Cassidy signed long-term? I know it seems silly but with how over he was just for his short comedy bit he did with dreamer and it was just a small preview of his overall character.. I could see him popping up here and there and expanding on that little by little to the point where he could pick up wins with his gimmick and become a fan favorite novelty act.

I could also see Joey Ryan coming in and being a solid addition.

I thought the PPV started off pretty bland but it sure picked up.. I really ended up enjoying it.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    The funny thing with OC is that if you’ve ever seen his work as Fire Ant, you know that the guy can fucking GO. I’d love if he did both the Orange Cassidy gimmick and worked a more serious gimmick under a hood.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw a clip where this Orange Cassidy had his hands in his pockets doing monkey flips and whatnot. Really fucking weird dude and when I heard he was one of the ants it all made sense as they're all fucking weirdos. Both as characters and in real life.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never new that Orange Cassidy was Fire Ant. That really makes so much sense, though.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Just think: the ant colony used to consist of Orange Cassidy, Hot Sauce Tracy Williams, and Drew Gulak. What a crew.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Enjoyed the show a lot. Felt like a higher end version of the ECW shows in how they managed to have literally something in there for everyone. Awesome Kong return, Bucks/Luchas, and Cody/Dustin the highlights for me. A few hiccups, but they'll be sorted in time. You realize how good WWE is at this stuff when you watch another promotion. I'm sure they'll iron these out. First time watching Omega, man this guy is ballsy. Some of the bumps he was taking, I'm not sure if he'll be walking for a week. Having him lose was strange, seeing as he's supposed to be the big star. I hope they succeed. But I'm not ready to crown them. They're going to need roster depth. They'll need to sign CM Punk soon and start hyping him for the Chicago show. If AEW can get a little momentum going we may see an exodus from RAW and SmackDown. Another thing I like that AEW is going to do is the product is going to be centered around belts having meaning. I mean, if the wrestlers don't act like their world centers around getting a title, then why should fans care?

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    Russo is the Alex Jones of the IWC and should be treated as such I get his ass off the internet.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Meltzer's Ratings:
    Casino Battle Royal: 3.0
    Guevara vs. Sabian: 3.25
    SCU vs. Strong Hearts: 4.0
    Baker vs. Awesome Kong vs. Rae vs. Rose: 3.0
    Angelico & Evans vs. Best Friends: 3.75
    Aja Kong, Sakazaki & Sakura vs. Mizunami, Riho & Shida: 3.75
    Cody vs. Dustin: 5.0
    Lucha Bros vs. Young Bucks: 4.75
    Jericho vs. Omega: 4.25

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    Surprised he went the full 5 for Cody/Dustin. Thought the tag match would have been more his bag. Fair play though.

More importantly WON says buyrate was 98k buys. Which by all accounts is a huge success. For comparison, the last WWE PPV before the Network began did 160k and All In did 50k at a lower price point which was also considered quite the success.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ussr
    Love meltzer going 5 on Cody/Dustin

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It needed to get a 5 after the abomination they had 3-4 years ago.

Banned
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I noticed up-thread, that people were talking about Dean Ambrose/John Moxley getting a "going away tour" before he left WWE.

He didn't. Roman Reigns got a return, "glad you beat cancer" tour and Deano and Rollins went along for the ride.

If Reigns hadn't come back when he did, Deano probably would've jobbed his way into Double or Nothing, losing flat, nothing matches to EC3 and Drew McIntyre. That's just the truth.

Also, Jim Ross needs time to get back into the swing of doing live commentary. All of his New Japan stuff is recorded for American TV in post. So any mistakes he makes, he can fix before it goes out. Give him some time, and he'll be ready to be the old "Monday Night Wars" Jim Ross again eventually.

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After years of being disappointed by everything thing JR has done seeing even a bit of a return to form would be pretty amazing.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
    You rubes, Russo has it sussed, WWE and AEW are in cahoots, We are being worked.
    Russo be damned.

The same thought actually hit me the day before Russo got his epiphany

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Dean Ambrose leaving was so easy that it's apparent WWE sent him to AEW to destroy it from within, much like Vince sent Hogan to WCW.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All you have to do is just not sign an extension.

It really isn't that hard to leave WWE. We just haven't seen it in a long time because there was nowhere to go.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All you have to do is just not sign an extension.

It really isn't that hard to leave WWE. We just haven't seen it in a long time because there was nowhere to go.
    There's always places to go. But this kind of thinking is why AEW better be more than a flash in the pan. I swear in the last 5 years we've had people geek out over Lucha Underground, New Japan, even some people praising the last few years of Impact. So the idea that there is nowhere to go until now isn't true at all.

I'm sure AEW sounds probably more appealing than those mentioned because the Khans have all this money. Similar to TNA. It was very appealing compared to going to Japan or Ring of Honor because they had Panda Energy backing them, they had the Spike TV deal, they were on ppv, etc. Even earlier than TNA obviously WCW had the same appeal.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TNA or ROH could have gotten all this buzz many times over the past years and they failed, that's the only difference.

TNA did try, you gotta give them that.

ROH is content just existing and it's frustrating.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinner View Post
    TNA or ROH could have gotten all this buzz many times over the past years and they failed, that's the only difference.

TNA did try, you gotta give them that.

ROH is content just existing and it's frustrating.
    Mark Cuban did try to take ROH to the next level. But personally, I think where they're at is a great spot for them and their brand of wrestling. They have had weekly tv for almost 10 years now and the last 5 or so after partnering up with New Japan has done both companies wonders. ROH does not get the credit they deserve for putting on The Bullet Club for example or showing us that Matt Hardy was still one of the best out there in terms of character work. I hate the guy but ADAM COLE BAY BAY. Fuck man even Cody Rhodes will give a nod to ROH helping rejuvinate his mediocre career.

And yeah TNA, for all their troubles, they're still here and doing their thing. If AEW is even a 10th of what TNA gave us I'll be happy. TNA had at one point 3 of the biggest icons EVERRRRRR. Hogan, Flair, and Sting. That's like AEW getting John Cena, Triple H, and Undertaker right now. How wild would that be??

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd prefer HHH's methodical ass stay far away from an AEW ring. Same with 'Taker. When you really do move like the undead, it's time to hang up the boots.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kinda related. This is from an ad for WWE coming to Japan...

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Triple H left the WWE and started his own company, how long do you think it would take for him to sell out the biggest arena in the States? 10-20 seconds?

We haven’t become anything — we simply are as we are
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    If Triple H left the WWE and started his own company, how long do you think it would take for him to sell out the biggest arena in the States? 10-20 seconds?
    Depends on his circumstances in leaving, his roster, etc.