Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

Playstation 5

https://www.wired.com/story/exclusiv...mpression=true

Some points:

- Current PSVR will be compatible with PS5.
    - Will not be coming out in 2019
    - Will utilize an SSD to demolisj load times
    - Devkits are already sent out so developers can already work on games for it.
    - Backwards compatible with ps4 games.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like the big visual upgrade is ray tracing. Which is nice to look at sometimes, but IMO a bit overrated compared to various other graphics engines and techniques we've seen over the years. I get a feeling this generation jump is going to be the most underwhelming in terms of graphics.
    Their service is whats going to make or break the console, I think.

Simon
    What is ray tracing in layman's terms? Like what can we expect to see that looks better about PS5 games compared to the best of PS4 like Red Dead and Days Gone which, from the trailer I saw this morning, has incredible graphics?

Mentioned
    444 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I'm most excited for smaller load times.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    What is ray tracing in layman's terms? Like what can we expect to see that looks better about PS5 games compared to the best of PS4 like Red Dead and Days Gone which, from the trailer I saw this morning, has incredible graphics?
    Ray tracing is a thing where the game will try to replicate reflections on different surfaces by actually trying to simulate the rays of light that bounce off these surfaces and into your POV of view (or your eye). Its able to determine and differentiate the level of reflectiveness that a surface should give off, based on the texture of it. It can realistically simulate light being bounced off multiple surfaces as well. Many games have had reflections in the past, but normally its just a static and very basic looking reflection being rendered, and usually one that looks the same from all angles. With ray tracing, its realistic to the point where you can actually use reflections to see things you normally couldn't, like around corners or something that's approaching from behind, etc.

CGI movies have been using this technique for some time, but apparently its only now that we have hardware on PCs that can do this for your games in real time. The last batch of Nvidia graphics cards supposedly come with dedicated chips that are specifically tasked with doing the ray tracing for your games (while the rest of the card does what it normally does to run the game). And now this is coming to home consoles from the sounds of it.

When done right, the effect can look amazing, but so far the best showcase of it has been in tech demos rather than the games that have actually come out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMSuGoYcT3s
    Here's an example of the level of visuals it could potentially produce in real time (this one is running on a super beefed up computer so it wont be as good or smooth on a home console, but you'll get the idea). Notice the different levels of reflectiveness on the difference surfaces of the floor, walls, the suits, etc. Thats the kind of realism it helps to create.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzCvRF_sID8
    And here's Minecraft with a ray tracing mod, which I think helps you understand the difference better.

Now while that sounds cool in theory, here's a comparison of it being used in an actual retail game, with it turned on and off.

I guess its up to you to decide whether this is worth the price. IMO, its not exactly amazing in practice because while the potential is there, it still needs to be implemented by the developers to look right, and for the console or PC to have enough horse power to produce something that resembles that Star Wars demo. Now if the PS5's graphics are basically a minor step up from PS4 but with ray tracing, personally that sounds underwhelming to me.

Simon
    Nice one, I understand now from that last video. One of those things that I had never even noticed was 'missing' from the realism of modern games, it gives everything an even more immersive feel.

That Star Wars thing...is that a game then?! Because it just looked like film to me.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Star Wars video was an actual demo running in real time. Games could potentially look like that in the future with ray tracing if done right. But I think you’d need really good hardware to produce it. That demo was run on a computer that’s probably worth £10,000, I think.

Simon
    That is mental. I mean I know it's slightly easier to pull that off because there are no actual faces with expressions etc...but still that is mental. I would have had no idea that wasn't filmed live.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My PS4 overheats so that fan goes like crazy and the hard drive on it is fucked meaning that it’s always telling me that it’s got no space left, despite having almost 200gb, so I’m ready for the PS4...as long as it’s £500 or under.

The Rosk
    Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    My PS4 overheats so that fan goes like crazy and the hard drive on it is fucked meaning that it’s always telling me that it’s got no space left, despite having almost 200gb, so I’m ready for the PS4...as long as it’s £500 or under.
    PS5*

Simon
    Yeah Mik you absolute div. PS4 yeah, you gonna pay £499 for a PS4 when they're under £200 in the shops? Idiot. Prat.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry lads, I decided that I was just going to call it a PS4 from here on out. Shame you didn’t realise and thought that I’d made a mistake.

The Rosk
    Bad things come in threes. I wonder what Mik's going to fuck up next.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your arse?

Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Backwards compatibility with PS4 games and faster load times? Yeah why not?

Donde esta la biblioteca Pablo Diablo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    I just hope it's actual backwards compatibility and not, you can stream PS4 games like how the PS4 is "backwards compatible" with the PS3

Simon
    Aside from the graphics, are there likely to be any notable steps forward in terms of gameplay with the new console? I mean more in terms of what the console (or more likely the controller) will allow you to do, rather than the concepts that the makers can come up with. I mean for example Red Dead looked incredible, and was a far more immersive experience that the original because of the sheer size and depth of the world...but the actual gameplay didn't feel like it had moved on much at all.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think most games going forward will feel the same. Games will continue to look bigger and better, but there's only so much you can do to change up the actual gameplay experience when you're holding the same controller with the same inputs. I think the problem we have is that the industry has pretty much standardized the controller we use on all consoles. They might look and feel different, and sometimes the layout might vary, but every controller basically has the same two analog sticks, dpad, start/select or some variation of the two, four face buttons, four shoulder buttons. So all your FPS games on all the consoles feel like the same sort of gaming experience. Your sports games on all the consoles will feel the same. And its been like this for about 3 console generations now.

And this makes game developers lazy in the sense that they know they can make a game for one console, and then easily port it to all the others since they all use the same controller system. Companies have tried to deviate from this and bring something new to the table, like Nintendo with the Wiimote, Sony added a touch pad to their PS4 controller. But since they're features unique to those specific consoles, they never become widely adopted by developers.

If we want new gaming experiences, we need Sony, Microsoft AND Nintendo to all jump on the same bandwagon and push the same idea forward. I've got a PSVR, which IMO is great. But its not going to get the kind of game support we'd like because Sony are the only ones with a headset out. Nintendo and Microsoft don't have a proper VR option. And game developers dont want to invest huge money making a game that they could only release on one format out of the three home consoles.
    I thought Nintendo with their Wii U gamepad was a cool idea, where you basically had a screen on your controller that could display additional information. Developers didnt give a shit about it though, because Sony or Microsoft didnt have a similar device to make products for. Imagine if the PS5 controller had a small LED screen where the current touch pad is, that showed things like your ammo, or a map, or let you make tactical changes in sports games on the fly. There's potential in that idea to expand our gaming experience beyond what we're used to, but it needs all the companies to make a controller like that, and then give the game devs an incentive to make use of it.

WWF Champion
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Using a touch screen on the controller to make tactical changes in FIFA would be class.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's so many cool uses for a screen on your controller.

You could maybe use it as the rear view mirror in racing games.
    Or maybe you could be playing something like Tekken or Street Fighter, and have your character's movelist on the screen to aid you.
    Or imagine playing an Alien survival horror type game where the Xenomorph motion tracker was on your controller, beeping on the radar as they moved closer to you.

There's all kinds of things you can do with this idea. And we saw some of this on the Wii U. It's just a shame the console itself didnt do well, and the rest of the industry didnt follow the idea.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the subject of ray-tracing, they're re-releasing Quake II with it.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More PS5 updates coming out today.

First of all its coming out "Holiday 2020". And the next bit of news is about the new controllers that will come with the console. They've had the dev kits out for a little while now, but they're only just started handing out the new controllers to devs to play around with. Havent seen any pictures yet, but the two big improvements they're touting is the inclusion of haptic feedback to replace the rumble, and "adaptive" triggers.

So the haptic feedback apparently is like what you get on your mobile phones. A bit like how on some Android phones you get that little rumble like feedback when you press over keys on your on screen keyboard when sending messages. Im guessing the idea behind this is to give you a more defined feedback from the rumble on the controller. So you can differentiate between the feel of the rumble impact when you crash your car, and the kind of feedback you might get if your car grazed something whilst still in motion. And also I think this would also allow them to add a haptic feedback on individual button presses on the controller if they wanted.

The other one which sounds really interesting is the "adaptive" triggers. So apparently they can now adjust the tension and resistance of the L2 and R2 triggers on the fly, through software. In the example they gave, they said that if you were playing a game where you used a bow and arrow, you would feel the tactile feeling of pulling back on the bow through the resistance on the trigger itself. So it would feel like the trigger is getting tighter as you pull the bow back further. That's pretty neat.

Still no pictures of anything so far though.

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    I predict it will be black.

Also huge shock they named it PlayStation 5. Did not see that coming.

I will obviously be buying it.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Red dead redemption was visually great but let's not forget that the entire game objective was riding around on a horse doing nothing. Maybe the ray tracing will fix it.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Gay tracing.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you liked GTA V, you will probably like it again on PS5

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    The whole presentation was great. Every game looked incredible.

Horizon Zero Dawn and the Miles Morales expansion are obviously tops for me

Kena looks like a Pixar adaptation of Breath of the Wild. Looks awesome
    Jett is a cool concept, I always like the "look for a new earth" story
    Returnal looks like a mix of Ourter Worlds and Control.
    Project Athia looks incredible as well.
    Deathloop looks like fun as well. A couple time loop games

Now we just need a price point.

Football manager? Peter Griffin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    So I didn't watch, Can someone please explain the benefits of the digital only version. With no discs this means no borrowing off mates and no selling or part exchange of games you no longer want.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm assuming it's for those that buy all their games digitally and want to spend less money on the console. I'd prefer the disc version, but I know a lot of people that mostly stick to digital these days.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I think the Xbox One had this as well. I'm starting to buy more digitally, but my friends and I do share games quite a bit. The Gamestop I use to go to is awful. I also don't know if I want to buy used games in a during/post COVID world.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Deathloop looks fucking awesome.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo Diablo View Post
    I predict it will be black.

Also huge shock they named it PlayStation 5. Did not see that coming.

I will obviously be buying it.
    Unlucky

Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    They've done me there it's true.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho666Soldier View Post
    I'm assuming it's for those that buy all their games digitally and want to spend less money on the console. I'd prefer the disc version, but I know a lot of people that mostly stick to digital these days.
    Everything I play is digital these days. With an SSD in the Playstation, it just plays smoother for me and I find the sound of the disc drive annoying in general.

Even so, I'd be getting the disc version for the ability to play 4K blurays.

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
    So I didn't watch, Can someone please explain the benefits of the digital only version. With no discs this means no borrowing off mates and no selling or part exchange of games you no longer want.
    If you have the game digitally you don't have to worry about the disc getting fucked up. Fallout 4 on disc no longer works for me so I had to rebuy it digitally.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hopefully this means that the PlayStation store are going to start matching places like amazon on new releases though. It has always irked me that digital distribution is supposed to be cheaper, no delivery, no packaging, no added costs for suppliers, yet it very rarely is.

The Beast From Belarus Hlebsfall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nepal
    I think if anything, it’ll go the opposite way. If Sony are trying to lead people down the path of buying the digital console, then they have a monopoly on where you can buy your games. It’s probably why there’s continuous sales on the PSN store at the moment, to try and convince you that it’ll be the same thing when you move to PS5. As for the presentation, can’t say I was particularly blown away, nothing they showed looked a massive leap forward from the PS4.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I’m not buying the digital only option because my PlayStation also doubles as my DVD player.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hlebsfall View Post
    I think if anything, it’ll go the opposite way. If Sony are trying to lead people down the path of buying the digital console, then they have a monopoly on where you can buy your games. It’s probably why there’s continuous sales on the PSN store at the moment, to try and convince you that it’ll be the same thing when you move to PS5. As for the presentation, can’t say I was particularly blown away, nothing they showed looked a massive leap forward from the PS4.
    Modern games never look as good as they do when you're playing the game in person with full specs. Much of that is because there's only so far you can go graphics nowadays.

But if you're speaking in general as far as none of the games looking that interesting, I kind of agree. But I am happy that they seem to be putting a lot of effort into new IP's instead of just rehashing the same franchises.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    No Knack 3 upset me though

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    3/4 months to release, No Price, no date, No pre order. Booooooo.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    It's a game of chicken between Xbox and Playstation. Neither wants to be first to announce their price.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeSplitter View Post
    It's a game of chicken between Xbox and Playstation. Neither wants to be first to announce their price.
    Who will blink first

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got mine on lock for Day 1.

Full disc Version, pulse 3D headset, Demon’s Souls.
    Last edited by Underscore_; October 27th, 2020 at 7:32 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last edited by Underscore_; October 27th, 2020 at 7:31 PM.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Well unless something goes wrong I'll be picking up my ps5 from Best Buy on Saturday. Didn't originally plan on getting one and I still don't think there's a native ps5 game I'm interested in (maybe Miles Morales), but seeing how well it runs ps4 games, way better than the ps4 pro I currently have, along with the free upgrades for a bunch of ps4 games to the ps5 version when they come out, sealed it for me.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck at Best Buy when they hand you a 5 pack of Plastic Swatches.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

It's a Christmas miracle! They open in an hour. I'm so excited.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Nice. Congrats, bert!