User Tag List

Thread: Genesis Mini

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Genesis Mini

www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/03/sega_mega_drive_mini_launches_worldwide_this_septe mber

Hopefully this one goes better than Sega's classic consoles and Sony's attempt. Will have 40 games, currently announced are -

Japan:
    Comix Zone
    Gunstar Heroes
    Madou Monogatari I
    Puyo Puyo Tsu
    Rent A Hero
    Shining Force
    Sonic the Hedgehog 2
    Space Harrier II
    Vampire Killer
    Wrestleball

NA / PAL:
    Altered Beast
    Castlevania: Bloodlines
    Comix Zone
    Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
    Ecco the Dolphin
    Gunstar Heroes
    Shining Force
    Sonic the Hedgehog
    Space Harrier 2
    ToeJam & Earl

It was confirmed a while ago that this machine wasn't being made by AtGames. So I'm kind of optimistic about this.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ATGames have already done this, so I don't see any real reason to get excited about it.

If people want a new way to play Mega Drive/Genesis games, then they should look at the new "Mega SG" from Analogue.

Its a proper hardware clone console that runs off a FPGA rather than using a software emulator, and plays all your Genesis carts (and Master System carts with an adaptor). FPGA is the future of retro gaming.

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My ex's mom bought the one that you could snatch up at like Toys R Us and Best Buy for about $40 a few years back at Christmas time. It can even play cartridges so that was a bonus.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by RuneEdge View Post
    ATGames have already done this, so I don't see any real reason to get excited about it.
    The atgames consoles are shit and people flipped when they were supposed to make the genesis mini. I’m excited for a proper sega-produced console.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hero! View Post
    The atgames consoles are shit and people flipped when they were supposed to make the genesis mini. I’m excited for a proper sega-produced console.
    Curious why you think they're shit? I've had mine for about 3 years, zero problems. You can even use original controllers if you have them. Plus it plays the actual cartridges. So I have I think all the games this mini is offering PLUS I can play any cartridge for the Genesis.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could also hack them to play games off of a SD card.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    Curious why you think they're shit? I've had mine for about 3 years, zero problems. You can even use original controllers if you have them. Plus it plays the actual cartridges. So I have I think all the games this mini is offering PLUS I can play any cartridge for the Genesis.
    A lot of frame skipping issues and shit audio. The emulation fucks up the colors too. I had one for like 28 days and returned it.

Rune - you can hack a lot of things to play genesis games. I have them on my psp and they’re great. I like these mini consoles though. I have NES SNES and will get the PlayStation one once it drops to $20.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eh, I'm not expecting 2019 level quality on 30+ year old games.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Yeah but playing on an actual genesis (with blast processing) these games run great. It’s just the nature of the atgames consoles running poorly.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah but playing on an actual genesis (with blast processing) these games run great. It’s just the nature of the atgames consoles running poorly.
    Hmm. I just haven't really noticed anything out of the ordinary.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of frame skipping issues and shit audio. The emulation fucks up the colors too. I had one for like 28 days and returned it.

Rune - you can hack a lot of things to play genesis games. I have them on my psp and they’re great. I like these mini consoles though. I have NES SNES and will get the PlayStation one once it drops to $20.
    The first version of the console ran like hot garbage, which I think is where their bad rep came from. ATGames made a second revision of the console with an upgraded CPU which apparently doesn't have the issues. I guess you get what you pay for with these things. The cheaper devices tend to have low power CPUs in them that struggle with certain emulators.

I guess if you like collecting the official mini consoles then thats a good enough reason to get one. But like you said, you can hack a lot of devices to play emulators these days, so personally I'd pass on this.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    australia
    Hmm. I just haven't really noticed anything out of the ordinary.
    If you have the one that has save states, its probably OK. That was the second one and was quite a bit better. The audio was still pretty shit, but it was playable.

The first one (no save states) is almost unplayable. Even for a casual gamer like myself.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Version 6 View Post
    If you have the one that has save states, its probably OK. That was the second one and was quite a bit better. The audio was still pretty shit, but it was playable.

The first one (no save states) is almost unplayable. Even for a casual gamer like myself.
    I know there were 2 versions. The 1st one came with the Sonic games, the 2nd was a Mortal Kombat themed. I have the one with the Sonic games which I think was the first run. I just don't get soak myself in it enough to care either way, in my head I'm probably just thinking eh, it's 20-30 years after the fact this is fine by me haha.

But playing the Raspberry Pi makes me want to buy like 12 different controllers lol. It's hard playing games without the proper controller. Playing Road Rash 2 for Sega Genesis on a Super Nintendo controller is different lol. Or when you're trying play Mutant League Football and have to make notes of what is the C button lol.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know there were 2 versions. The 1st one came with the Sonic games, the 2nd was a Mortal Kombat themed. I have the one with the Sonic games which I think was the first run. I just don't get soak myself in it enough to care either way, in my head I'm probably just thinking eh, it's 20-30 years after the fact this is fine by me haha.
    As far as I'm aware, I think both consoles had the same set of games. But physically the devices looked slightly different. One for example had the big white ATGames logo on it, the other didnt.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as I'm aware, I think both consoles had the same set of games. But physically the devices looked slightly different. One for example had the big white ATGames logo on it, the other didnt.
    This is what I have:

There aren't any MK games on this version.

My son has this:

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess we're talking about entirely different devices here. I didn't even know your ones even existed. lol

The first one I'm talking about looks like this:

Then the updated one looked like this, with the embossed ATGames logo and the slider control on the left:

Both came with 85 games, and the second model only came out about a year ago, so its fairly recent. The people reviewing it claim that its almost free from any issues that plagued the older models, and it also comes with a SD card slot for you to load roms off of.

Looking back, the Sega Genesis has had a load of these mini devices over the years, long before the NES and SNES Minis were a thing. There have been several handheld Genesis devices by companies like ATGames as well. And then there's all the Genesis collection games that they've released on the console like PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, etc. All licenced by Sega too, so not some knockoff brand crap like you find with the third party Nintendo clones.

On second thoughts you have to wonder if Sega are kinda late coming out with a proper self made one at this point.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess we're talking about entirely different devices here. I didn't even know your ones even existed. lol

The first one I'm talking about looks like this:

Then the updated one looked like this, with the embossed ATGames logo and the slider control on the left:

Both came with 85 games, and the second model only came out about a year ago, so its fairly recent. The people reviewing it claim that its almost free from any issues that plagued the older models, and it also comes with a SD card slot for you to load roms off of.

Looking back, the Sega Genesis has had a load of these mini devices over the years, long before the NES and SNES Minis were a thing. There have been several handheld Genesis devices by companies like ATGames as well. And then there's all the Genesis collection games that they've released on the console like PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, etc. All licenced by Sega too, so not some knockoff brand crap like you find with the third party Nintendo clones.

On second thoughts you have to wonder if Sega are kinda late coming out with a proper self made one at this point.
    My son also has the handheld.

Yeah the ones I posted were the originals I guess lol. They were like $40. I would say they're at least 4-5 years old because my ex's mom bought it for me the first year we were in our new house for Christmas and that was 5 years ago. The only place I ever saw them at first was Toys R Us.

I don't think they're LATE. Correct me if I'm wrong, doesn't Nintendo own Sega now? So it makes sense that they would put out a mini Genesis AFTER the 2 NES mini systems.

And I would guess that the AtGames stuff, due to the apparent low quality, that's why Nintendo didn't really give a shit since they were working on their own stuff, the mini NES and mini Super NES.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My son also has the handheld.

Yeah the ones I posted were the originals I guess lol. They were like $40. I would say they're at least 4-5 years old because my ex's mom bought it for me the first year we were in our new house for Christmas and that was 5 years ago. The only place I ever saw them at first was Toys R Us.

I don't think they're LATE. Correct me if I'm wrong, doesn't Nintendo own Sega now? So it makes sense that they would put out a mini Genesis AFTER the 2 NES mini systems.

And I would guess that the AtGames stuff, due to the apparent low quality, that's why Nintendo didn't really give a shit since they were working on their own stuff, the mini NES and mini Super NES.
    I think they have some kind of exclusive contract for new Sega games but I think Sega is still technically it's own entity.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    10 more games revealed:

Castle of Illusion
    Contra Hard Corps
    Earthworm Jim
    Landstalker
    Shinobi III
    Sonic 2
    Streets of Rage II
    Super Fantasy Zone
    Thunder Force III
    World of Illusion

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Earthworm Jim really tips it into the basket for me.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Final twelve titles announced

- Tetris
    - Darius
    - Road Rash II
    - Strider
    - Virtua Fighter 2
    - Alisia Dragoon