User Tag List

Thread: Jordan Peele's "Us"

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jordan Peele's "Us"

I thought this was good. Not as good or as sharply written as Get Out but a solid 7.5/10 for me on first watch. And this is for sure a movie that needs a second viewing because there's a lot going on and I'll admit a lot of it went over my head as it was being gradually unfolded for the viewer. Loads of symbolism, perhaps too much for some people's liking but it definitely leaves you thinking.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fro View Post

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BGMaverick View Post

RFF WORLDWIDE WESTERN CON son_of_foley's Avatar
    Letting the POTTY go to his head since Jan 2010
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Loved it as a movie. Its gorgeous and it's tense and it freaked me out.

Been thinking a lot about the underlying meaning is and the message and am excited to read a bit and see others thoughts. Clearly a very heavy social commentary but I think less on race and more on class or a loss of community

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've tried to stay vague there for no spoilers but if anyone who has seen it thinks I've accidentally let something slip let me know and I'll edit. Plan to post some more thoughts in a spoiler tag later

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Will probably check this out on DVD. Looks good.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    There's a prevalent interpretation that Us is directly connected to Du Bois theory of double consciousness...

Quote Originally Posted by WEB Du Bois
    It is a peculiar sensation, this double-consciousness, this sense of always looking at one’s self through the eyes of others, of measuring one’s soul by the tape of a world that looks on in amused contempt and pity. One ever feels his two-ness, an American, a Negro; two souls, two thoughts, two unreconciled strivings; two warring ideals in one dark body, whose dogged strength alone keeps it from being torn asunder.
    The "Hands across America", the "We're Americans" line, the title also being close to U.S.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Casey View Post
    There's a prevalent interpretation that Us is directly connected to Du Bois theory of double consciousness...

The "Hands across America", the "We're Americans" line, the title also being close to U.S.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a quality to the ending(s) of his movies that leave it ambiguous enough to where anyone can take their own personal meaning/slant to them. That's great for engagement, conversation, and continued interest. I think I read a blurb where he said that laying everything out at the end of the movie isn't something he wants to do. He'll lay out enough exposition in portions to connect things together but he wants to leave it open at the end because in horror, if everything is laid out and it's clear that things are okay, then the fear is gone. He doesn't want that fear to be eliminated.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been reading some comments about the unrealisticness of the explanation of the premise and while I'm happy to take the movie at face value and not get into the backstory too much, I'm curious if anyone here has any ideas/theories.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fro View Post
    I've been reading some comments about the unrealisticness of the explanation of the premise and while I'm happy to take the movie at face value and not get into the backstory too much, I'm curious if anyone here has any ideas/theories.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Loved this movie. Only complaint -

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BGMaverick View Post
    There's a quality to the ending(s) of his movies that leave it ambiguous enough to where anyone can take their own personal meaning/slant to them. That's great for engagement, conversation, and continued interest. I think I read a blurb where he said that laying everything out at the end of the movie isn't something he wants to do. He'll lay out enough exposition in portions to connect things together but he wants to leave it open at the end because in horror, if everything is laid out and it's clear that things are okay, then the fear is gone. He doesn't want that fear to be eliminated.
    50/50 on this. Most horror movies are not left open, they wrap it all up at the end and call it a day. Yes, exceptions to the rule would be leaving it open for a possible part 2, 3, etc. Sometimes though when you leave it open to interpretation, it can take away from the movie the 2nd time you watch it.

IMO, you want to tie everything together at the end even if it's some M Night type ending. You want people to walk out not going , what the fuck was that movie about or what the fuck was that ending? But going, damn that movie was the shit, I loved the ending, can't wait to see it again.

And I'll be honest, I have yet to see this movie, it looks just as good as most are saying it is, so my comment is just about that statement in general because we do hear a lot of people enjoying those type of movies. It took me like 12 times to explain to my ex-wife what the hell Vanilla Sky was about lol.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I really enjoyed it - more so than Get Out. I probably would have liked the movie more if it had stayed at a smaller scale, but that's not the story Peele wanted to tell.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm slowly getting back into the horror genre. I think I went a good 2 years without watching anything new. I've relied so much on my past when it comes to horror, I could probably count on both hands how many horror movies that have came out in the last 10 years that I've even rented let alone gone to the movies or bought a DVD/Blu Ray.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Modern horror is alright. Most of them seem to be built up by the hype train, then you go see them and it's a let down. Whereas if you went in without hearing any hype you may thing "That wasn't too bad"

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Modern horror is alright. Most of them seem to be built up by the hype train, then you go see them and it's a let down. Whereas if you went in without hearing any hype you may thing "That wasn't too bad"
    It's funny you mention the hype train in this thread. 2 of my buddies posted on Instagram their thoughts on this movie after actually seeing it and felt that it didn't match the hype but explained the positives and didn't even really speak on the negatives. Just that they went to see it ready to witness the 2nd coming of Halloween and they got Season of the Witch.

But the best part was reading random people who do not know these 2 say things "Of course, any movie with hype like this and people automatically shit on it" Do you ever encounter that? Where it's like a reverse hipster, the movie that gets all the hype that doesn't live up to it, and you have these fans who go "No, you're just hating on it simply because it had the hype!"

Odd.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, did anyone care one bit that Peele said he had no intentions on casting a white person in a lead role anytime soon? I agreed with what he said, it was kind of funny and slick the way he handled it. But quite a few are up in arms, saying it was a racist comment. I don't agree with that at all, he's right, 100% right, we've had plenty of movies with white people as the lead.

The reality is, the person who asked him that were smart, they knew by asking that question they were going to cause some "debate" where the majority could look at the minority and scream RACISM. Because honestly, who gives a shit if he casts a white person or not? He's only done what, 3 movies in his life? I don't see any white directors where they mostly cast minorities in leading roles.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    Also, did anyone care one bit that Peele said he had no intentions on casting a white person in a lead role anytime soon? I agreed with what he said, it was kind of funny and slick the way he handled it. But quite a few are up in arms, saying it was a racist comment. I don't agree with that at all, he's right, 100% right, we've had plenty of movies with white people as the lead.

The reality is, the person who asked him that were smart, they knew by asking that question they were going to cause some "debate" where the majority could look at the minority and scream RACISM. Because honestly, who gives a shit if he casts a white person or not? He's only done what, 3 movies in his life? I don't see any white directors where they mostly cast minorities in leading roles.
    Jordan Peele is 100% right...
    We have seen the majority white horror movie thousands of times...

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The people that are up in arms about what he said only read the article title.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    A lot of major us cities have vast abandoned underground networks. Service tunnels. Subway tunnels. Abandoned sewer systems. Cable Car tunnels. Pre refrigeration cold storage. Plain old regular storage. Freight tunnels. Water tunnels. Rail tunnels. Pedway tunnels. Flood traps. Underground prohibition bootlegging tunnels. Underground brothels. Underground slavery rings. Whole cities worth of abandoned tunnels...

It's kind of creepy just how much abandoned underground construction there really is...
    And there's people living in them...

The Stale Smell of Excess Jimmy Zero's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no problem at all with what he said. How many more horror movies do we really need featuring white women being terrorized?

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's nice to see horror movies where black folks make it past the opening credits.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    It's nice to see horror movies where black folks make it past the opening credits.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VHS View Post
    ?

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Julius from Friday the 13th Part VIII makes it way past the credits.