User Tag List

Thread: Analog video games (board games)

tag champ
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Analog video games (board games)

I thought I start a new Thread about board games in a gaming section, instead of pulling it back up in the Asylum section

Just got done playing Mega Civ. Make a sieve plays anywhere from 8 to 18 players, and is a loooooong game. Over the course of the last two days we played approximately 16 hours, and still did not quite finish the game. In the game you take a European civilization and your meager settlers and start on a pre-determined section of Europe. You start wit two settlers, and that is it. From there you will expand, create cities, earn resources, trade resources, and purchase technologies.

The resources is where the game really is. The rest is politics with neighbors. The resources range from 1 to 9, and you gain one of each of those resources for every city you've created. Once you have any resources a five-minute. It started to where you try and trade resources. The more of a type of resource you have the more it's worth. For example one grain is worth 4 bucks. But two grain is worth 16, 3 is worth 32 so on and so forth. So through trades if you can gain more of a type of resource you can potentially buy bigger and better Technologies. In the resources, however also lie the calamities. These calamities can be treated with resources by slight means of deception ;-). Players gain these calamities instead of resources, and a potentially poor draw could see a player gain nothing but calamities. In a smaller player count a person can only be affected by no more than two major climate he's, and in a larger player count a player can only be affected by two major and three minor calamities. So during the training phase not only do you want to get more resources, you also want to try and get rid of calamities if possible. Calamities like volcano decimate cities and populations, and calamities like treachery allow the player that traded it to you to just take one of your cities and replace it with theirs.

Negative is not for everyone, but if you ever go to a board game convention and you really want to put the time into something like this I definitely recommend it.

Last edited by The Rick; March 17th, 2019 at 8:47 PM.

Donde esta la biblioteca Pablo Diablo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    A board games version of Civ. That sounds like a ridiculously long game. I don't even have anyone to do board games with anymore. I must admit I miss it. Definitely one of the best things about being at University was having many people with the time to play these games. A game like this would have been perfect then.

tag champ
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chinatown - One of the best negotiation games in my collection. This is the game I suggest to people that claim they like Monopoly. It's mean, and not for everyone.

Chinatown plays over 6 years. Each year players will gain plots of land, and then plans for different businesses to be built upon those plots of land. Once players have received their plans for business friends, the trade faced begins. Players can trade their plots of land, their businesses, money, or business is already built out on the board. At the end of the game whoever has the most money wins. This is a really easy teach, and a very simple rule book to get through. Maybe give it a look, because the reprint just hit stores.

Quote Originally Posted by Pablo Diablo View Post
    A board games version of Civ. That sounds like a ridiculously long game. I don't even have anyone to do board games with anymore. I must admit I miss it. Definitely one of the best things about being at University was having many people with the time to play these games. A game like this would have been perfect then.
    Check the MeetUp app. You might be surprised to find a game group closer to you than you think.
    Last edited by The Rick; March 26th, 2019 at 1:26 AM.

tag champ
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Xia: Legends of a Drift System

I traded for this game about a year and a half ago. I'm just now getting it to the table. I wish I would have done it sooner.

Xia is a game set in space with an open floor plan as to how you can win the game. If you want to pick up and deliver goods, do it. If you want to explore the galaxy, do that. And if you want to be a jerk by destroying other ships, do that.

Now Xia is not without its faults. Downtime between turns can go far longer then the game needs it be. Part of the mechanics is roll a move, and it feels cheap at times. And many of the missions you pick up especially early in the game you can't even do.

But there's so many things I truly enjoyed about my play of Xia. As far as ameritrash games go this game has story in spades. One of my friends, Steve, flew around the Galaxy tried to take on, another friend, Katherine and failed. He took damage going through asteroid Fields, lost energy going through a nebulous cloud, and withstained at least one missile shot. He puttered and sputtered to a planet to heal and fuel up. One turn before he could do this, someone flew in and finished him off for 1 point. This took place over the course of about 6 turns.

I'm pretty excited to get another play of this game in. I've got an expansion Mission cards and extra shifts ready to throw in. When that will be, I have no clue.

tag champ
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

tag champ
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got my Binho board last night. Such an addictive dexterity game.

Last edited by The Rick; February 21st, 2020 at 1:00 PM.