User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wrestle Kingdom 14 in Tokyo Dome 1/4 & 1/5 Jushin Thunder Liger Retirement

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The crescendo is the way to do it, aye. If the fans care less about a match than the one they did before, they're going to be less loud than they would have been with the matches flipped. Look at a Wrestlemania 22 for example, the fans were plenty into that nothing tag opener because it was the opener, stick it after Edge/Foley and you'd have heard crickets.

I forgot that SANADA vs. Sabre Jr is on tomorrow. I loved their match at the G1. SANADA is the one guy athletic enough to really go at Sabre Jr in a technical setting while being charismatic enough to make for an entertaining personality clash. That's going to be a banger. Again it's full of matches that have happened before, but in this case we know Okada/Naito, Sabre/SANADA, White/Ibushi and Moxley/Robinson have all put on bangers before, and Tanahashi and Jericho will be fresh. Honestly, the best thing that could happen in wrestling would be AEW and New Japan working together a bit. I don't want a big invasion, but Omega coming back to New Japan to do the honours for the champion while Tanahashi goes over to AEW to give the loss back to Jericho would be a great start.

too big to fail Tainted Eclipse's Avatar
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ussr
    okada/ibushi reminded me a lot of okada/omega. nothing in the opening several minutes caught my attention, but then suddenly the match kicked into high gear and was absolutely nuts. pretty much perfectly executed for that style of match. ever since ibushi came back to new japan full time i've felt a bit disappointed in his work, especially since he seems to have toned down the stiffness. well, all that went out the window tonight. ibushi was channeling the best of his matches with nakamura in how hard he was hitting.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ussr
    one thing i like about the early start time tomorrow is a lot of the show will be during daylight, and i love the look of the dome when it's bright outside and the light filters in and you can see the whole white dome from the inside.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ussr
    watching from where i fell asleep last night. i really, really liked the tag title match. nice to see a high energy tag match which is pretty much 80% home stretch without a superabundance of ulta contrived double team moves, just really well laid out work with a steady progression to the end.

Champ is Gone
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love Jay White. He and KENTA receive actually honest to god heel heat from the NJPW crowd so I think he's perfect there since I don't see it happening anywhere else.

It was a slog after the Liger match until Lance vs Mox. Once that match hit the ring I really loved the show. That match was super fun and I have all of the last three match at **** or better.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ussr
    those moxley knee strikes were some of the worst things i've ever seen. otherwise, that match was awesome. so was hiromu/ospreay, though i liked okada/ibushi more.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really enjoyed the Texas Death Match with Archer/Moxley. I think I was actually pleasantly surprised with how long the match was. That really felt like the perfect length, and a really good finish. White/Naito just didn't do a whole lot for me. It had good stuff but it also felt like a lot of fluff. I'd say Okada/Ibushi definitely cranked it up to finish the night out. The striking by Ibushi was fantastic. Takahashi/Ospreay was definitely a banger. That was the match of the night to me.

Champ is Gone
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Translated post match comments. Hit the CC.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    -That Okada entrance was awesome.
    Also his entrance gear.
    And his attire.

-Okada vs. Ibushi was amazing. MOTY contender. Those Ibushi punches were brutal and drew appropriate boos from the crowd.

-Ospreay vs. Takahashi was also fantastic and a MOTY contender. I've missed the Time Bomb and Will continues to impress.

-Switchblade vs Naito was good, a very typical heel vs face match. That's not an insult. Enjoyable AF

-Good undercard. Moxley vs Archer had some fun spots. GoD vs FinJuice was worked really well and sold me on Finlay.

Can't wait for Night Two!

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ussr
    i think i'm gonna stay up to see the liger match live, then go to sleep and watch the rest tomorrow. looks like they added a 6 man NEVER titles gauntlet as opener/pre-show.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ussr
    how ishii not gonna have a singles match over TWO NIGHTS of wrestle kingdom

Champ is Gone
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okada vs Naito > Okada vs Ibushi

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watching this tomorrow night most likely. Insane that Jericho is older than Hulk Hogan was during his last World title reign. Older than Mutoh was when he passed the torch to Tanahashi. Comfortably older than Bob Backlund in 1994. The wonder of reinvention - it's not that he doesn't at times resemble his age (those tits), but not playing himself as a 30 year old actually make him seem fresh and relevant, in his 50th year.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    NEVER gauntlet was fun. Really is a disgrace that Ishii and Shingo had nothing better to do over TWO days at the dome.

Liger’s last match was really enjoyable as he passes the torch one last time. The guys on commentary did a good job here, especially Chris. I’d like to watch it with Japanese commentary too to hear how emotional their announcers were. Hiromu shouting at the fallen Liger that he promises to continue his legacy was touching.

Jr Heavy tag was a nicely laid out tag match that felt like a welcome change from the flippy double-team spot fests that we’ve become used to seeing for these belts. Phantasmo’s a proper prick and the cup reveal after the low blow was a nice touch. The double corner crotch crushing was also good fun.

Liked ZSJ/Sanada a fair bit and the match was really going somewhere when ZSJ annoyingly squeezed a roll-up win. I think Sanada should’ve won here even if he drops it back right away. He’s another one they seem unsure whether to pull the trigger with or not.

Was pulling for Juice in the Mox match but was unlikely they’d make him a double champ before we got to the main event. Mox sticking around is good. Suzuki being the next guy to challenge him is GREAT. This confrontation was really hot and the announcers sold it well too. I’d imagine pretty much everyone is excited for that match.

KENTA’s new Berlin techno heel theme is boss although I do kind of wish he still came out to “What You Know”. Goto gets another win in the Dome after a war with KENTA but particularly with what occurred after the main event you’re left wondering how much it matters. I guess Goto got some revenge. So that’s good.

Both Jay White matches this weekend seem to have quite a few dissenting voices. Probably even more than the two big matches from night one which is a surprise. I liked both a lot. This one less so, probably because there wasn’t nearly as much riding on it. The bump Ibushi took onto the railing with his arms by his side was nasty. Anyway I get Jay winning, especially given the match Ibushi had been through the night before. But I really do hope they hurry up and pull the trigger with him before it’s too late. A lot of people keep saying Naito can’t move quite like he did a couple of years ago. Ibushi is 37 and looks incredible but the way he wrestles he could quite easily do himself some serious damage.

Main Event started slow in typical Okada fashion - personally I found the first 10-15 minutes of this match less engaging than last night’s main which also started slow. Picked up though and turned into a super hot match. That poison rana from the turnbuckle was terrrifying, I thought Okada would be done. Naito hitting the Stardust Press was a really cool moment that the announcers sold well and when even that couldn’t put Okada away you wondered if he’d do it after all. Two years too late? Surely. But better late than never. And this was a Tokyo dome classic and the culmination of a multi year story that revolves around the Tokyo dome. Hell of a moment for Naito than is then ruined by the traitor KENTA. Not sure how I feel about this. Some people are pissed off that Naito didn’t get to celebrate more and that LiJ didn’t really come to his aid. On the other hand would it make as big an impact if it happened at NY Dash? Probably not. Regardless, I love that KENTA is the first challenger (it’s not too long ago that Bad Luck Fale was a first challenger for the dome main event winner) and the visual of Kenta sitting on Naito with both belts held up was fantastic.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ussr
    i really loved jericho/tanahashi. crowd was super into it, it had the feel of a superstar match up you'd only ever see at wrestle kingdom, very well worked match that actually got it to feel like an epic new japan main event style match around jericho's physical limitations. i haven't watched naito/okada yet, but it might be my #2 match of the weekend so far behind okada/ibushi.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They did the angle at the end so that next year, there's more incentive to buy a ticket to Night 2.

Night 1 will have great matches. Night 2 will have good matches and a potential big angle.

I loved it. I was juuust about to switch off the stream. But I wanted to see the role call (I thought LIJ would at least come onto the stage)...

Controversial opinion = I don't think Okada/Naito is a MOTY contender - that goes to Okada/Ibushi and Ospreay/Takahashi

you either die a hero... Morrison's Avatar
    or live long enough to see yourself become a dumdum.
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinner View Post
    They did the angle at the end so that next year, there's more incentive to buy a ticket to Night 2.

Night 1 will have great matches. Night 2 will have good matches and a potential big angle.

I loved it. I was juuust about to switch off the stream. But I wanted to see the role call (I thought LIJ would at least come onto the stage)...

Controversial opinion = I don't think Okada/Naito is a MOTY contender - that goes to Okada/Ibushi and Ospreay/Takahashi
    i doubt they're doing two nights next year. they announced the two night event for 2020 during the year run down segment at last years WK, but didnt do the same this year. the two night concept worked cause the dates fell on a weekend this year. 1/4 next year is a monday. doubt they run a double bill at the dome on a monday and tuesday.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jericho/Tanahashi was quite fun. That really did feel special and I thought the chemistry between the two of them was extremely palpable.

Naito/Okada was another banger. The build to the count out tease was really great. I also like the way they shot it, making it seem like Naito had an insurmountable challenge ahead of him in order to keep going. The crowd was something else, too. They came across like they were reacting to a story that was built for ages. I know Naito's redemption story is for multiple years but this felt like the weight of the world was coming across through the audience.
    Last edited by BGMaverick; January 6th, 2020 at 12:13 AM.

Champ is Gone
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Matches on these shows I have over ****

Tetsuya Naito vs Kazuchika Okada - Wrestle Kingdom 14 Night 2 (*****)
    Hiromu Takahashi vs Will Ospreay - Wrestle Kingdom 14 Night 1 (****3/4)
    Kazuchika Okada vs Kota Ibushi - Wrestle Kingdom 14 Night 1 (****1/2)
    Chris Jericho vs Hiroshi Tanahashi - Wrestle Kingdom 14 Night 2 (****1/4)
    Tetsuya Naito vs Jay White - Wrestle Kingdom 14 Night 1 (****)
    Zack Sabre Jr vs SANADA - Wrestle Kingdom 14 Night 2 (****)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Morrison View Post
    i doubt they're doing two nights next year. they announced the two night event for 2020 during the year run down segment at last years WK, but didnt do the same this year. the two night concept worked cause the dates fell on a weekend this year. 1/4 next year is a monday. doubt they run a double bill at the dome on a monday and tuesday.
    they could do Sunday and Monday

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not going to pretend I understand the culture in Japan, but I imagine they could do Sunday and Monday but that Monday crowd is going to be radically smaller. I believe that they'll have international people there because they're making a vacation out of it regardless but I think you really need a hook to get the locals interested. They had the double gold dash for this but I doubt you can make that an annual thing. Inclusion of AEW could be something but who knows if that will ever happen and if that resonates with the Japanese audience. If it does, then it's a matter of how long does that keep them interested. I imagine NJPW views this as a success but I would think they see that it can't be automatic move to do it again next year. If that were the case, they probably would have just announced it again during this weekend.
    Last edited by BGMaverick; January 6th, 2020 at 12:51 AM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    I also saw someone suggest that they should've done 1/3 (Friday) and 1/4 (Saturday) this year which could have prevented the 10,000 fan drop-off we saw for night two. But it turns out the dome is booked on 1/3 every year for a national american football game called the Rice Bowl. So that's not an option.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rice_Bowl

So unlikely we see a double header next year. Which has to be a good thing. These cards definitely suffered from the two day format. G1's back in the smaller Sumo Hall (in October due to the Olympics) and they didn't announce any big US shows either which is surprising given they said they were going to do 25+ shows there this year.
    Last edited by Ringo; January 6th, 2020 at 4:55 AM.

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Made it through Night 1 and some of Night 2.

So far a very very good ppv. I didn't know most of the matches going in off the top of my head, so when I saw Ten-Kozi teaming up for a nice little match I was very happy as I love Satoshi Kojima and Tenzan is an OG (nWo 4 Life!). Where I'm at, I have to say the Jr HW title match and the Naito-White match were very awesome.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    NY Dash spoilers as I watch

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    I also saw someone suggest that they should've done 1/3 (Friday) and 1/4 (Saturday) this year which could have prevented the 10,000 fan drop-off we saw for night two. But it turns out the dome is booked on 1/3 every year for a national american football game called the Rice Bowl. So that's not an option.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rice_Bowl

So unlikely we see a double header next year. Which has to be a good thing. These cards definitely suffered from the two day format. G1's back in the smaller Sumo Hall (in October due to the Olympics) and they didn't announce any big US shows either which is surprising given they said they were going to do 25+ shows there this year.
    See, I had to read this a few times at first. I was like, when did we do a bowl game every Jan 3rd in Japan? And why the FUCK did we call it the RICE bowl lol???

But I clicked the link, got a little confused again, then scrolled down and understood what was up.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so, why is it called the Rice Bowl?

Besides the fact that a 13 year old white boy from Iowa must have came up with it, to be funny.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ussr
    finally watched okada/naito. it didn't really blow me a way, i think okada/ibushi was a lot better, but man that crowd was something else. it certainly felt special.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ussr
    i still think the first okada/naito title match from 2012 is their best match.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinner View Post
    so, why is it called the Rice Bowl?

Besides the fact that a 13 year old white boy from Iowa must have came up with it, to be funny.
    lol I have no clue why it's called the Rice Bowl. You'll have to ask the Japanese they're the ones who came up with it.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    WON ratings

Wrestle Kingdom 14, Night 1
    Hoshiki & Iwatani vs. Giulia & Kimura: 2.5
    GBH & Young Lions vs. Henare & LA Dojo: 2.5
    Nagata & Nakanishi vs. TenCozy: 1.5
    Liger, Fujinami, Sasuke & Tiger Mask vs. Sano, Otani, Taguchi & Takaiwa: 2.75
    BUSHI, EVIL, SANADA & Takagi vs. Suzuki, Desperado, Kanemaru & Sabre: 2.75
    Goto, Ishii, Yano & YOSHI-HASHI vs. Fale, KENTA, Owens & Yujiro: 2.5
    Finlay & Robinson vs. GoD: 3
    Archer vs. Moxley: 3.5
    Ospreay vs. Takahashi: 5.25
    Naito vs. White: 4.5
    Ibushi vs. Okada: 5.5

Wrestle Kingdom 14, Night 2
    NEVER 6-Man Gauntlet - Bullet Club vs. Chaos (1.5), Chaos vs. Suzuki-gun (1.25), Chaos vs. LIJ (2), LIJ vs. Taguchi Japan (2.25)
    Liger & Sano vs. Ryu Lee & Takahashi: 3.5
    ELP & Ishimori vs. Roppongi 3K: 3.5
    Sabre vs. SANADA: 4
    Moxley vs. Robinson: 2.75
    Goto vs. KENTA: 2.5
    Ibushi vs. White: 3
    Jericho vs. Tanahashi: 4.25
    Naito vs. Okada: 4.75

Football manager? Peter Griffin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Is Dave ill?

- - - Updated - - -

Fucking love Ospreay

Champ is Gone
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dave's coverage of the show is kinda hilarious actually since he is super salty that NJPW and AEW have no intention whatsoever of ever working together. Especially so with the NJPW side because he's getting all these insane stories that make no sense from Omega and the Bucks. So even though last weekend was the biggest business success in the fifty year history of the promotion his coverage of it has this really negative tone.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it would have played out like this: Kenny would have defeated Tanahashi at WK13, then lost to Okada at MSG. It would have been Ibushi d. Omega in the FInals of the G1.

Wrestle Kingdom 14 this year, would have been Okada vs Ibushi for Heavyweight, Omega vs Naito for IC. Ibushi vs Omega at Night Two with Omega getting his win back. Naito is still Double Champ

Jay White would have defeated Tanahashi at WK14, AEW and NJPW would have a working relationship and we would have gotten Jericho vs Moxley for AEW Title at WK14.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Surely if they have a working relationship they just run Jericho vs. Tanahashi with the title on the line, particularly with Jericho going over anyway. Jericho vs. Moxley is a PPV match in the eastern time zone, not Japan.

Football manager? Peter Griffin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Quote Originally Posted by Defrost View Post
    Dave's coverage of the show is kinda hilarious actually since he is super salty that NJPW and AEW have no intention whatsoever of ever working together. Especially so with the NJPW side because he's getting all these insane stories that make no sense from Omega and the Bucks. So even though last weekend was the biggest business success in the fifty year history of the promotion his coverage of it has this really negative tone.
    He actually had a pop at Ryan Satin saying at least he doesn't seek validation from workers which is fucking horseshit.

Alvarez annoys me more though tbf.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Meltzer and Alvarez were made for each other.

Champ is Gone
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have rewatched Okada vs Naito an unhealthy amount of times