User Tag List

Thread: Things that make no sense in wrestling

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Things that make no sense in wrestling

I got to thinking about things in wrestling (especially in WWE) that just make little to no sense, they are as follows..........

"There is no replay in WWE" and then "This just happened moments ago!"

2 people in a feud and having one of them screw the other out of a title, wouldn't they want a title shot?

in a tag/six man tag/triple threat someone being in a submission and the other people taking the time to climb the ropes to do a move to break it, why not just slide in and break it?

Someone who is "Loved and respected in the back" who gets jumped by several people and nobody coming in for the save.

Anything that comes to your mind?

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You get punched or kicked in the face but you don't get a black eye or broken nose after every match

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Irish whips, wouldn't you just stop running?
    When you hear HBK or Ziggler stomping their feet, wouldn't you roll out the ring?
    If you really hated someone, why on earth would you wait for a match to settle it? We all know you're both backstage. I want to see you fight it out in the locker room.
    As silly as it is to lay down on the mat waiting for someone to jump on you form the top turnbuckle, it looks even more ridiculous when you shimmy to get into position.
    Why do wrestlers only fall onto the middle rope when wrestling Rey Mysterio?

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Guys making a cover for a pin and only hooking the leg, but not covering the shoulders. Dolph Ziggler especially is guilty of this, but a lot of others as well

2. Guys who are "knocked out", yet somehow manage to move into the perfectly correct position to take a splash off the top rope, or a 619, etc.

3. Anything that has ever come out of Bray Wyatt's mouth

4. Backstage collusion/planning IN FRONT OF THE CAMERA GUY

5. Stupid faces. Guys who have been in the business a long time, like Cena in a tag match, still falling for the heel provoking them while on the outside of the ring, causing the ref to admonish them while the heel does an illegal move to the face in peril.

Mentioned
    328 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not exactly an original thread but here goes anyway:

- I've been annoyed by ten counts for count-outs lately. Wrestlers lying on the deck for ages then when it comes to 8 or 9 and then they magically recover and roll back into the ring before 10. Been happening way too often lately.

- Cage matches in general. Why bother climbing when there's the option to have the ref open the door?

- "Secret" backstage convos when there's a cameraman right there like 3puppies mentioned.

- Ref's decision is final and no instant replays for dodgy ref decisions. They're so inconsistent with that!

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I miss the days when refs would run out and call out the other ref for not seeing the leg under the rope or someone interfered.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've brought this up before. Guys who are super agile and leap on top of the turnbuckle suddenly lose all muscle in their legs when competing in a Cage or Ladder match. When climbing, they sell it like every step is excruciating and the hardest thing they've ever done. Don't get me started on Flag matches.

WWF Champion
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everybody in the hardcore division should've used knives and guns.

Mentioned
    328 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Carlito/Jesus/John Cena stabbing storyline. Instead of presing charges, Cena was happy with a rematch!

Also Cena's Wolverine-like healing powers,
    Last edited by Badger; January 10th, 2019 at 4:07 AM.

Simon
    Quote Originally Posted by wardy View Post
    Everybody in the hardcore division should've used knives and guns.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    Suicide dives that look awful. Seth Rollins comes to mind here. One of the best performers in the entire company, but that suicide dive is awful and looks like it wouldn't hurt a small child. There's just no impact at all to it. He kind of connects and he and his opponent carefully land. Takes me out of it every time he does it. And it's not because of his size either. Daniel Bryan's is fine.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One word, Benoit

Intercontinental Champion
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Woulda made more sense to start a thread entitled 'Things That Make Sense In Wrestling'.

okay, I'll bite: doing your finishing move and then laying there like you are hurt as much or more than your opponent.

The over the top pantomiming for damatic effect is some of the worst bad acting I have ever been exposed to in my life.
    Last edited by NWo4LifeOr2Years; January 10th, 2019 at 11:37 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When some like for example ambrose runs in to interfere in a match yet , his music is played!

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why does anyone want to be Champion? In the old days, there was the champion's purse. If you held the title, you made more money. That never gets mentioned anymore. I can't even remember the last time it did. Pre-Attitude Era? Sometimes a wrestler will talk about being on magazine covers and going on tv shows when they have the belt, but there seems to be no real incentive to be champ other than the prestige.

Rajah Universal Champion Mikey73181's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - When the show starts and there is no “Main Event” scheduled yet. I know they typically use the first segment to set up the main event, but shouldn’t at least the final match of the night be set up the week before??

- Same idea, when the show starts and a guy isn’t scheduled for a match, but comes out in his gear. Sometimes they will use the “always be ready to fight” idea, but it shouldn’t be that way all the time. If someone were to come out and say they want to fight “right now...” maybe it’s ok, but if they are setting up a match for later, I think they should be in street clothes/suit. A few times they’ve at least pretended and had a guy come out like still taping their wrists or whatever, or have a guy wrestle in a suit.

-

Banned
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guys who aren't scheduled to compete either doing a run-in, a backstage interview, or some kind of other segment in their wrestling tights and gear.

For example, at Fastlane 2015 Dolph Ziggler, Ryback, and Eric Rowan wrestled Seth Rollins, Big Show, and Kane and the heels (Rollins, Show, and Kane) fucked over the good guys and were about to lay a beat down on them when Randy Orton, who'd been injured for months, not scheduled to wrestle or be there, and who didn't wind up having a match on the show, came in for the save in his tights.

So either Orton showed up to the arena, changed in a broom closet where nobody noticed he was there, Orton drove to the arena and walked in in his underpants and no shirt, or he like changed in his car.

It makes no sense. Orton's save got a good pop, but he would've gotten just as good of a pop in a Randy Orton t-shirt and a pair of slacks.

Funny enough, but there was an opposite example on an episode of Smackdown!. Tatanka is there, being interviewed by Kristal Marshall or somebody, and randomly, he gets put in a match with The Great Khali. And its right after the commercial. But they mentioned he was in his gear for the interview and then he had a photo shoot set up right next to it. So there was a kayfabe reason for Tatanka (Buffalo) to be in his gear.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    Some wrestlers having their weight announced and others not. Seemingly no rhyme or reason to it. Seth's weight is announced, Finn's isn't. Comes across even more odd when they're opponents. Pretty sure it's the same with where they're from. Some have a home town, some do not. And it's not like the 80s, where a gimmick may be the reason.

Same theme, and I've mentioned it before, but Nia being the only woman who has her weight announced is odd. I get that she's openly said she wants it announced, but seeing as she's the only larger female performer they have, this is weird to me and, in this day and age especially, may look bad to an outsider seeing that.

And yeah, the always in their tights thing and music playing for run ins does my nut too.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    How when someone like Kane's music goes off and the people in the ring just stare at the entrance ramp looking horrified, and they stand there waiting for him to get in the ring. Why the fuck don't you run away through the crowd. He's given you enough warning he's coming. Maybe not current Kane, I'd probably laugh at his 52 year old ass lumbering down the ramp. But 20 years ago I would have gotten out of there quickly as soon as his theme started.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wrestlers being in their gear at any time never bothers me. When you're at work, you wear your work clothes.

The running away thing is always hilarious when they are in the ring and act like they are somehow trapped, like they can't even go through the ropes. Kane gets up on the apron on the one side and they're just back up to a corner or side like that's as far as they can go.

Bagel
    The music playing when there's a run-in. Shouldn't it just be a surprise, unless it was to just disrupt a rival in a match?
    The Irish Whip. That's just silly.
    Matches being announced ahead of a show, but treated like it's just been discovered it's happening during a segment, particularly the start of a show.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    Adverts in the middle of a match. If ratings aren't as big of a deal as they used to be, does there need to be adverts during matches? At least, not as many.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Refs taking 10 min. to comprehend that someone wants to cash in their MITB briefcase.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Matches don't end during commercial breaks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When a wrestler shows up in the middle of the show, or even right at the very end for a quick run in. It may be a tv show, but this is their job. If the show starts at 8 shouldn’t everyone be there at least by showtime if not earlier in the afternoon to prepare.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    How ever PPV was exactly 3 hours long. Every TV show 2 hours, etc.

Banned
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey73181 View Post
    When a wrestler shows up in the middle of the show, or even right at the very end for a quick run in. It may be a tv show, but this is their job. If the show starts at 8 shouldn’t everyone be there at least by showtime if not earlier in the afternoon to prepare.
    Disagree.

Wrestlers, in kayfabe, should know by show time that they're booked for a show. So, they know, just like a "normal" job, when to show up.

And some guys are scheduled off. There's been plenty of times when guys have been "given the night off". They even say it just like that.

If you're not scheduled, do you still go to work?

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ukraine
    When being restrained in the ring by refs/lower card guys, wrestlers always escape and land a couple of shots on their opponent. And then the other guy does it to them.

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On television when your coming to the ring and u get a commercial break it just goes dark and your kinda just chilling in the ring for 3 minutes

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudz Mackenzie View Post
    Disagree.

Wrestlers, in kayfabe, should know by show time that they're booked for a show. So, they know, just like a "normal" job, when to show up.

And some guys are scheduled off. There's been plenty of times when guys have been "given the night off". They even say it just like that.

If you're not scheduled, do you still go to work?
    Except a lot of the time matches are made during the show. The whole card isn't laid out beforehand in kayfabe. Open challenges, etc. "Nights off" are generally given to face to prevent them from getting their hands on the heel or to heels so they can duck the face and are almost always a lot of BS because the guy almost always ends up showing up anyway to do what he intended. The impression always seems to me to be that everyone should be there ready to work, more like a sports game where some players might be on the bench for the game but they're there if they might be called upon.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When partners turn on their tag team partner AFTER working very well with them the entire match prior to the turn.

Especially when the Turner joins his opponents. Example: Roderick Strong turning on Pete Dunne to join Undisputed Era.

UNSTOPPABLE. UNBEATABLE. Judas Iscariot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    That's a fair point, but they have to keep the illusion up for maximum psychological impact on their now former partner. That way the betrayal, which isn't even really a betrayal because their partner deserved it, will leave them emotionally scarred.

What the Turner and the other team are doing is mind fucking the turnee. Pain is temporary but psychological damage can and often does last a lifetime.

dude it's iron man.. man
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hot shotting the belts

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How announcers never mention Finley or Dvon when they on camera

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mth View Post
    Except a lot of the time matches are made during the show. The whole card isn't laid out beforehand in kayfabe. Open challenges, etc. "Nights off" are generally given to face to prevent them from getting their hands on the heel or to heels so they can duck the face and are almost always a lot of BS because the guy almost always ends up showing up anyway to do what he intended. The impression always seems to me to be that everyone should be there ready to work, more like a sports game where some players might be on the bench for the game but they're there if they might be called upon.
    Exactly, a closer in baseball can't just show up to the park in the 7th inning because he knows that he isn't going to be used any earlier. Starting pitchers that are in between starts still are there for the whole game.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always wondered why it hurts to miss a dropkick but never after landing one

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - Doing moves on an object increases damage and pain. Submissions included.
    - Hitting the ropes creates immediate opposite momentum.
    - Opponent climbing the ropes sucks other opponent towards corner.
    - Finishers at Wrestlemania are nerfed.
    - Foreign objects are manifested underneath the ring.
    - All wrestlers are implanted w/ a chip that triggers their music whenever they cross the threshold to the ring.
    - Wrestlers only speak to each other on televised occasions.
    - The cameramen wear invisibility cloaks backstage.
    - Ryback.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    When a guy or gal are going for a pin, but would be facing the wrong way. So they do a 180 turn, so that they are facing the hard camera. This happens all the time.

When a wrestler goes for a double underhook, but the guy receiving the move puts his own arms up. Mick Foley did this ALL THE TIME with the pedigree and HHH. H would get him in position and Foley would raise his own arms, voluntarily. Talk about taking the viewer out of the moment.

Foley taking daft falls. He must have been really hated, as only he would be thrown on concrete floors, down stairs, off cells etc.

Administrator
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VHS View Post
    - All wrestlers are implanted w/ a chip that triggers their music whenever they cross the threshold to the ring.
    I never liked this complaint. I mean, there's a guy at guerrilla who sees John Cena walking by, he can just tell the truck to hit his music.

Terrible at Sudoku
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's what I thought. Sound guys are quick.

Well, the good ones anyway.

The Thinking Man's Idiot Simmo Fortyone's Avatar
    Andre giant once eat kid hot dog at arena. He then laugh. I never forgive that fat motherfucker for that
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinner View Post
    When partners turn on their tag team partner AFTER working very well with them the entire match prior to the turn.

Especially when the Turner joins his opponents. Example: Roderick Strong turning on Pete Dunne to join Undisputed Era.
    I remember that being played off as a spontaneous move by Strong. The rest of UE had no idea what he was doing.

But yeah there's heaps of other examples where they celebrate together as if it was the plan the whole time.

Andre giant once eat kid hot dog at arena. He then laugh. I never forgive that fat motherfucker for that
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluegunn View Post
    I always wondered why it hurts to miss a dropkick but never after landing one
    You're bracing yourself for a certain way of landing taking into account the change of your body's momentum following the kick. The kick misses and you land in a jarring way you weren't prepared for.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Oh so now you're also a face/heel? Well obviously we are now close mates despite all the dastardly shit you did to me very recently."

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    Being tough as a babyface, but turn heel and all of a sudden you're a massive pussy.

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been thinking that for a while. Especially when the roles are reversed for both sides. Kurt Angle vs Stone Cold comes to mind.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Despite all this no sense stuff, I at one point legitimately thought wrestling was real.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Despite all this no sense stuff, I at one point legitimately thought wrestling was real.
    and then you reached the age of six, right?

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

Mentioned
    328 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Simmo Fortyone View Post
    "Oh so now you're also a face/heel? Well obviously we are now close mates despite all the dastardly shit you did to me very recently."

Mentioned
    328 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And for the guy above me, Strowman not being champion yet.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Post above last, how anyone can take Triple H seriously when he has the nose the size of Russia, more wrinkles in his forehead than my drity laundry, and some of the worst facial hair I've ever seen. Always had that trying to hard to be cool vibe about him. A

Mentioned
    328 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because he wore leather AND denim so he was twice the badass.

Jobber
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasori View Post
    Why does anyone want to be Champion? In the old days, there was the champion's purse. If you held the title, you made more money. That never gets mentioned anymore. I can't even remember the last time it did. Pre-Attitude Era? Sometimes a wrestler will talk about being on magazine covers and going on tv shows when they have the belt, but there seems to be no real incentive to be champ other than the prestige.
    Kevin Owens was a prize fighter and always said he was trying to get more titles so that he earned more money for his family.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VHS View Post
    How else are they going to test new action figure features?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegunn View Post
    I have been thinking that for a while. Especially when the roles are reversed for both sides. Kurt Angle vs Stone Cold comes to mind.
    Kurt turned 3 or 4 times during 2001. I think Austin didn't trust him when he joined to the Alliance. At least that time they didn't pretend like there were no issues between the two of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Post above last, how anyone can take Triple H seriously when he has the nose the size of Russia, more wrinkles in his forehead than my drity laundry, and some of the worst facial hair I've ever seen. Always had that trying to hard to be cool vibe about him. A
    Cool guys do crotch chops.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsay View Post
    Kevin Owens was a prize fighter and always said he was trying to get more titles so that he earned more money for his family.
    That's right. Kev did make a point about that. He's one of the good ones.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clearing the announce table before throwing someone thru it. You are already trying to hurt them, why move extra objects out of the way?

Intercontinental Champion Jitters's Avatar
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When the ref can quite easily see the person take the turnbuckle off but chooses to easily be distracted for example Shinsuke/Rusev.

Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Clearing the announce table before throwing someone thru it. You are already trying to hurt them, why move extra objects out of the way?
    broken monitors come out of your pay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    broken monitors come out of your pay
    That would actually be a good explanation, if most of the time they didn’t whip the monitors real hard to the floor. They sweep things like papers and pens off but toss the monitors as far as the cords will let them bounce. Altho they’ve recently moved onto new flat screen monitors that I’ve seen stay on the table more often.

Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    they didn't break it, the floor did

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WWE.

Intercontinental Champion Jitters's Avatar
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably been mentioned before but why when someone is trying to eliminate another opponent why does another wrestler break it up?

MAKES NO SENSE.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Diamond View Post
    Probably been mentioned before but why when someone is trying to eliminate another opponent why does another wrestler break it up?

MAKES NO SENSE.
    5 reasons off the top of my head.

1) because YOU want the credit for tossing them out, for tossing everyone out because ego

2) it's everyone for themselves, but that doesn't mean it's kill or be killed every second of the match. Save someone's skin and there's a good chance they'll try and do the same for you.

3) more people in the match means more people to be eliminated, which if you're smart about means someone else has to waste more energy eliminating them making them easier to eliminate later.

4) strategy. If there's a weak opponent getting eliminated by a potential contender, save the small fry they can go easily later but that strong for could send you out if you let them get momentum.

5) padding the record. Everyone in wrestling wants praise and accolades all the time. Saving someone means you have a shot at making theatch and your time in it longer until you break the 'longest time in the match's record, or keeps another person in the match for you to eliminate until you take Roman's elimination record. One eye on the prize, one on the praise. Always

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just watched wrestlemania 9 and thought came to me. How come the metal in Luger's arm knock a guy out and the plate in Beefcake's head not hurt anyone?

Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be fair it is to prevent anything from hurting themselves. A monitor to the rear after a piledriver can hurt

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plus the extra financial damage you cause when you break the monitors and stuff. The cost/damage to opponent ratio doesnt make it worthwhile.