User Tag List

Page 7 of 157 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: All Elite Wrestling

you either die a hero... Morrison's Avatar
    or live long enough to see yourself become a dumdum.
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordo View Post
    Someone (was it you?) asked what they have to offer Dean... I said they appear to be more creatively free, then told you why.

Then Morrison acted like I'd said AEW's booking is going to be better for everyone no matter what.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordo View Post
    I know but me and you had reached a point when you understood my point (even though I'd been vague).

Then Morrison dove in talking about AEW's ongoing booking and that wasn't what I had established I was talking about with you. Then you doubled down on what he was saying.

I've probably made this convo more meta than need be but I'm at work.

What does AEW offer Dean?

I think they offer him the ability to control his own character and do things he wants to do. I don't know if that's a good thing for Dean because I don't know AEW's exact booking and how they will operate when it becomes a week after week promotion. What I know is that as of now everything they've done they've allowed talent to be themselves and put forward the character they want to be.

I don't say all that as a way to argue either of you but, because I've been vague and short, just as a way to answer questions you and Morrison both asked me about my opinion on this subject.
    you did end that post i quoted with 'i think this is a pretty good idea of how AEW is gonna run' so you'll have to pardon me for interpreting that as meaning you were talking about their creative business model...

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Defrost View Post
    The creative thing is a good question. The assumption is Cody is the booker, but as far as I've seen nothing has been confirmed on that side.
    Cody is booking it.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tony Khan was on Jericho's podcast and there were two things I took away from it that I really haven't heard or thought of when they've discussed the company and then a heavier emphasis on something we have heard of a lot.
    The heavier emphasis note was the wins and losses aspect. He clearly didn't get into specifics but using the sports background he has and what he's seen in wrestling, there's a big discord between sports and wrestling in terms of wins and losses and the overall impact of them. Jericho talked about how a team can win and feel great or lose and feel like crap. Also talked about how he could have a bad show and feel like shit because of it but that's not really prevalent to the same degree in wrestling. Khan said he recognizes that and that's why they want to put an emphasis on those things mattering.

One of the more interesting notes was the use of analytics. I know they have people in the mix and that's a big part of Khan's background with the Jaguars but it's interesting to think about how that background can be conveyed to attempt to streamline a better television product. The use of analytics is seen as a still fairly polarizing proposition but I think there's high value to it as long as you know which stuff is actually worthwhile to track and can be extrapolated in a way to is useful when it comes to predicting future outcomes. There are nuances that help lead to decision making within the NFL and its hard to argue how the NFL can provide a monoculture aspect to viewing that's really lost to casual television today. The fact they've been successful really gives them informed data on viewership. Obviously the sport itself is the driving force but it's not like they just trot a football out there and film it. There's bells and whistles involved along the way that really enhance the viewing experience. The statistical input that can be implemented in a wrestling aspect in terms of enhancing the production value is something I'm very curious to see.

The other note was that a vision they have for their women's division to resemble the impact of the cruiserweight division from WCW. To elaborate, Khan talked about how he feels there's going to be very exciting, diverse, different and that the pace and work rate is going to be eye-opening in the sense it could resemble the impact the cruisers had on Nitro. Khan put over the fact that Brandi and Kenny have imaginative ideas that could really work for that division.

Champ is Gone
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BGMaverick View Post

One of the more interesting notes was the use of analytics. I know they have people in the mix and that's a big part of Khan's background with the Jaguars but it's interesting to think about how that background can be conveyed to attempt to streamline a better television product. The use of analytics is seen as a still fairly polarizing proposition but I think there's high value to it as long as you know which stuff is actually worthwhile to track and can be extrapolated in a way to is useful when it comes to predicting future outcomes. There are nuances that help lead to decision making within the NFL and its hard to argue how the NFL can provide a monoculture aspect to viewing that's really lost to casual television today. The fact they've been successful really gives them informed data on viewership. Obviously the sport itself is the driving force but it's not like they just trot a football out there and film it. There's bells and whistles involved along the way that really enhance the viewing experience. The statistical input that can be implemented in a wrestling aspect in terms of enhancing the production value is something I'm very curious to see.
    Well that's one way of looking at it. Another way is looking at Blake Bortles' contract.

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do enjoy the positive reactions toward the idea of a wrestling company keeping track of wins and losses and making them apply to the product. I've said for quite a while around here that was always laughed at that a rankings system would be solid in the WWE based on actual wins and losses. But everyone thought that it just boxed them in creatively. I think the reason is that everyone that was against it thought that it meant people could only feud with each other if the rankings made sense. So they might have thought #1 and #9 can't feud, when in reality, not every feud needed to be based on the rankings-only when it mattered. They'd need to be smart about it. Don't book the #9 out of 10 guy to feud with the World champion, let him climb the ranks, make it mean something.

Maybe the WWE is too big of a promotion to do something like that and AEW might be at the right level with their roster to build off a ranking system or at the least where wins/losses matter and a guy who's on a 12-match losing streak doesn't get a World title main event the next month because he got over on Twitter.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Defrost View Post
    Well that's one way of looking at it. Another way is looking at Blake Bortles' contract.
    So which one of the EVPs is Bortles?

Anyway, my comment was in regards to viewership analytics.

Champ is Gone
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So which one of the EVPs is Bortles?

Anyway, my comment was in regards to viewership analytics.
    I was commenting on the use of analytics by the front office of the Jacksonville Jaguars.

Terrible at Sudoku
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In recent memory WWE, MLW and TNA have all attempted rankings.... I think TNA lasted the longest but overall it has yet to be successful.

I think it really just needs commitment and the willingness to stay the course against naysayers if they do have a solid system in mind to keep track of wins, losses, rankings, etc

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even boxing knows that rankings only get in the way of good matches and interesting stories.

That's why the 2nd ranked guy is always begging for a championship match he can't get while the champ is fighting the 92nd ranked guy from Guatemala because he talked shit about his mama on Facebook.

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm on board with wins and losses really mattering.

I don't give two shits about rankings

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    In recent memory WWE, MLW and TNA have all attempted rankings.... I think TNA lasted the longest but overall it has yet to be successful.

I think it really just needs commitment and the willingness to stay the course against naysayers if they do have a solid system in mind to keep track of wins, losses, rankings, etc
    Yeah they've attempted various forms of rankings. WWE's weird power rankings or more recently that top 10 on Smackdown voted by the actual talent.....which ultimately was scrapped and/or used as a vehicle to set up Orton v. Tye Dillinger.

But I truly believe if they stayed the course it could be cool. I've always said that if they just did something like PWI magazine, where you could go on WWE.com and see the top 10 tag-teams of the month, top 10 wrestlers for each brand, etc. Again, it wouldn't be something that the company would use as the basis for every single angle but it would be cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Rancid_Planet View Post
    Even boxing knows that rankings only get in the way of good matches and interesting stories.

That's why the 2nd ranked guy is always begging for a championship match he can't get while the champ is fighting the 92nd ranked guy from Guatemala because he talked shit about his mama on Facebook.
    lol. And again, like I've said, you don't need to use it for everything. You could use it to further a storyline or a character. Maybe you use it to set up a heel turn where a guy is constantly winning, in the top 3, but gets overlooked because he's not witty on Twitter. Idk.

Just freestyling the pro's.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Undertaker booked for Starrcast

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is awesome. Ambrose should be debuting as well. Maybe we see Batista as well. I’m pumped.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    Again, it wouldn't be something that the company would use as the basis for every single angle but it would be cool.
    I think the problem from WWE's perspective would be when people start asking questions such as "why's <insert wrestler> always ranked high but never getting a title shot?" or "Why's this person ranked higher than that person?". It's awkward for them to try and justify everything.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hero! View Post
    Undertaker booked for Starrcast
    I'm not sure how big of a deal this is.

Certainly Vince isnt happy about it.

Football manager? Peter Griffin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Did Conrad not go through great pains to say Starrcast is not A AEW event, Still all aboard the hype train, Choo choo.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Conrad is more worried about if he can make it to McDonald's for lunch today.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
    Did Conrad not go through great pains to say Starrcast is not A AEW event, Still all aboard the hype train, Choo choo.
    He did but it's still not a WWE team player look.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    He did but it's still not a WWE team player look.
    Maybe he actually retires this year and starts hitting the convention trail

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure how big of a deal this is.

Certainly Vince isnt happy about it.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Jerry Lawler was part of last year's.

This just kind of goes back to fans gassing up AEW beyond what they should be. Vince is not threatened by AEW. Taker doing this means nothing to him.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s not an AEW event so I’m not really sure what the issue is if there is one.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s not an AEW event so I’m not really sure what the issue is if there is one.
    I think the idea is that since Starrcast linked up with All In and now they're linking up for Double or Nothing that there are ties. Conrad did host the announcement of AEW as well. But again, like I said, too many reading wayyyy too deep into the relationship. It's just Conrad is a smart motherfucker, he's not where he is because he's a dildo with no business acumen. He's a good dude who loves wrestling, more power to him.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, just seems like people are attempting to put two and two together when that’s not really the case. He’s just entrepreneurial and making the most of what is available to him.

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Taker being at starcast is interesting because it's mother fucking undertaker at a fucking wrestling con.

Any correlation to AEW is a reach.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    Inside the ropes have him coming to the uk for a q & a and not one single fucker seems to be mentioning that. This is just another convention. Oh and any cunt thats paying the daft money to meet him is an absolute mug.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeHunt View Post
    Inside the ropes have him coming to the uk for a q & a and not one single fucker seems to be mentioning that. This is just another convention. Oh and any cunt thats paying the daft money to meet him is an absolute mug.
    When and whereabouts in uk?

dude it's iron man.. man
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jerichos already telling fans on Instagram there banned from all aew shows already..

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    When and whereabouts in uk?
    London, Glasgow, Manchester I think. It's also all sold out.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeHunt View Post
    London, Glasgow, Manchester I think. It's also all sold out.
    Damnit, would've been all over the Glasgow one.

Intercontinental Champion
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I must admit that I have never heard the computer nerds who have taken over and ruined sports state their case more eloquently and/or confusingly.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A report came out today that Warner Media Group (Turner Sports - TNT, TBS) will present AEW at their upfronts to advertisers next month. WarnerMedia/Turner upfronts are currently scheduled for May 15th. The report suggested that they will be looking to debut AEW's show the same week as Smackdown begins on Fox.
    ----

I imagine that they could start on TBS because there's likely more free time or flexibility to work with over the course of the year on that station. The NBA is one of the main, if not the main, driving forces for TNT so that's going to take priority. Another factor that could be lucrative is the fact that Turner Sports has B/R Live (Bleacher Report Live) as a streaming platform. I think they offer stuff in regards to the Champions League, League Pass, and other sports. This would be another entry point to add to their content library. If things hit the fan, they can scale back and go to TruTV.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All this just to get back to Vince vs A Rhodes Booking A Wrestling Show On TBS.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very exciting, can't wait to see what they bring to the table if this happens.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Then in a year or two they'll move to Pop TV!

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Wrap is reporting that it is "likely to be destined" for TNT in terms of which Turner channel it would be on, and that B/R Live is a viable outlet to help with streaming. I can't say I'm entirely familiar with TNT's weekly lineup outside of their Conan show but that's not until later in the evening. I know Thursday is usually their night for primetime 'game of the week' like stuff with the NBA. The only issue I see with TNT is when it comes to literally this time of the year and the playoffs. They basically run NBA games no less than four nights of the week. I don't know if it's ideal to say it'll be on TNT but then jerk it around to TBS or possibly TruTV for two-to-three months of the year.

Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    conan is on tbs, not tnt.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was the goal TNT/TBS this whole time or were there other options?

I just don't know how I feel about living in the past. The idea being that 20+ years ago, WCW were bringing in serious ratings and generating interest in other shows on the network, so maybe they can recreate that moment in time? I mean, it really was a MOMENT. I'm just starting to listen to 83 Weeks w/ Eric Bischoff so it's pretty cool having these memories of that time come back to me. But for me, as excited as I am about any new wrestling on t.v., I'm not really dying to see another company come out of the woodwork and attempt to be the next WCW.

The way we view t.v. is not the same as it was back in 1996. Whether that's a good thing for pro wrestling, idk, doesn't seem like it lol.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Morrison View Post
    conan is on tbs, not tnt.
    Sorry, I meant TNT/TBS in terms of their collective TV lineup.

Was the goal TNT/TBS this whole time or were there other options?

I just don't know how I feel about living in the past. The idea being that 20+ years ago, WCW were bringing in serious ratings and generating interest in other shows on the network, so maybe they can recreate that moment in time? I mean, it really was a MOMENT. I'm just starting to listen to 83 Weeks w/ Eric Bischoff so it's pretty cool having these memories of that time come back to me. But for me, as excited as I am about any new wrestling on t.v., I'm not really dying to see another company come out of the woodwork and attempt to be the next WCW.

The way we view t.v. is not the same as it was back in 1996. Whether that's a good thing for pro wrestling, idk, doesn't seem like it lol.
    I guess we won’t ultimately know what the other options were. Everyone can theorize but I’m sure there were pros and cons to potential alternatives. Something working in AEW’s favor is that this is a cable network that pretty much everyone gets if they still have cable. Even if people don’t have cable, it’s not that far off the beaten path so it’s available to people who bundle or whatever with customizable streaming channels.

I haven’t really gotten the impression they’re trying to be the next WCW. As always, you can have framework of the past but it is more suitable to keep expectations low and build yourself as the first whatever than to be a replicant of something. People will pigeonhole you as such but you have to create enough of a distinction to show you’re just an alternative.

I definitely agree that TV now is nowhere near the same as 1996. It’s not even the same as 2016, probably. Guess it just depends on how long this deal is and how much they are getting. If it’s a super long deal, that could raise some eyebrows because you might be stuck in an antiquated framework but who knows.

too big to fail Tainted Eclipse's Avatar
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ussr

best promo of the year hands down

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hell yes. Welp, you've got my attention now, AEW.

Defiance is a four letter
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I'm in.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Pretty wild considering Goldust hasn't been "elite" since 1997.

Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Pretty wild considering Goldust hasn't been "elite" since 1997.
    he's probably a better worker the last few years than he was during his goldust days.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Goldust's best ring work was 2009 onward.

Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mth View Post
    Goldust's best ring work was 2009 onward.
    but ya know, lol's from the guy who wont watch anything outside wwe. sick burnage.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ussr
    goldust's return in 2013 was unbelievable. he was the best in the world. then they stopped putting him on tv. awful.

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Soooo we're getting Demon Dustin Rhodes?

but in all honesty this should be great! and that was a heck of a promo!

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    Oh yes. This is now the match I'm more excited for than any other.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Fucking hell what a promo. Considering how great big Dust still is in the ring, I am hyped for this.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ussr
    after the match or a more extended feud cody and dustin should have a tag team run.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tainted Eclipse View Post

best promo of the year hands down
    I love sit down interviews like this where they can go and pick the the best bits and put them together. This is something they do so little of in WWE I can't even remember when the last time was.

But it just works. I mean god knows how much they filmed to get this 6 minutes but within those little bits of interview was this awesome story, this emotional, relatable story. And it's all there. A great foundation for a match. You don't even need anything more. I want to see the match right now.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cody will win after Dustin kicks out of everything, but Cody eventually wins. They then tag team together for a while, when Cody turns on Dustin to become a Main Event Level Heel

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    goldust's return in 2013 was unbelievable. he was the best in the world. then they stopped putting him on tv. awful.
    Did man just call Goldust the best in the World

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    I love sit down interviews like this where they can go and pick the the best bits and put them together. This is something they do so little of in WWE I can't even remember when the last time was.

But it just works. I mean god knows how much they filmed to get this 6 minutes but within those little bits of interview was this awesome story, this emotional, relatable story. And it's all there. A great foundation for a match. You don't even need anything more. I want to see the match right now.
    Bobby Lashley with Renee Young, and how much he loves his sisters.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Dustin vs. Cody has potential to be feud of the year.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ussr
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Did man just call Goldust the best in the World
    yes

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I agree, Goldust was the best in the world in 2013.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Favorite part was when he said "just like every arena I go into, and I do something spectacular .... they chant 'You still got it', well, I never lost it"

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Goldust really only had a couple stretches where he was pretty bad. The stretch where he was with Luna and Blue Meanie and when he was Black Reign in TNA, I think that was also when his substance abuse was at it's highest. But they stand out because he is so fucking good any other time. Whether that was as himself in NWA/WCW or the majority of his career as Goldust, he has always been one of the best in the ring IMO.

Go back and watch Goldust in 1995-1997. HBK, Mero, Austin, Helmsley, Razor Ramon, Owen Hart, even guys that weren't very good like Ahmed Johnson had a quality match with Goldust.

And yeah it's hard to deny that run where him and Cody were stealing the show every week. If you had them v. The Shield, Usos, Harper/Rowan, didn't matter, that was another great era of tag-team wrestling and Cody/Goldust were the best of them.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Goldust really only had a couple stretches where he was pretty bad. The stretch where he was with Luna and Blue Meanie and when he was Black Reign in TNA, I think that was also when his substance abuse was at it's highest. But they stand out because he is so fucking good any other time. Whether that was as himself in NWA/WCW or the majority of his career as Goldust, he has always been one of the best in the ring IMO.

Go back and watch Goldust in 1995-1997. HBK, Mero, Austin, Helmsley, Razor Ramon, Owen Hart, even guys that weren't very good like Ahmed Johnson had a quality match with Goldust.

And yeah it's hard to deny that run where him and Cody were stealing the show every week. If you had them v. The Shield, Usos, Harper/Rowan, didn't matter, that was another great era of tag-team wrestling and Cody/Goldust were the best of them.
    Seeing Dustin Rhodes vs. PAC is a dream match for sure. What about Cody and Dustin vs. the Young Bucks? Potential tag match of the decade.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ussr
    dustin vs. kenny could be pretty sweet.

what about dustin and jericho teaming up and having a run as veteran tag team schooling all the young guys. dustin in AEW could be the best thing in wrestling.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ussr

there was a brief period of time, probably third quarter of 2013, when WWE was just on fire. daniel bryan as the super hot rising star who would soon win the world title, mark henry's cena feud, cena still around, cm punk hadn't looked like he had given up yet, shield at the top of their game, cody/goldust, dolph ziggler still hot, wyatts had just debuted. lesnar was still fresh. really good wrestling on TV every week. bryan vs. the authority was really hot at the beginning. then they tried to depush bryan and although things got hot for wrestlemania 30 again, all in all too many bad decisions tanked the product soon after.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That match was really good and it went to another level when Dusty hit Dean with the elbow. The pop that happened when Cody locked Seth for the finish was fantastic. They executed that move so well and Seth sold it like instant death, too.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I think that Cody and Goldust was a good team, but once Stardust came into the picture is when things fell apart. Stardust was entertaining, but it should have been dropped eventually. A broken Cody Rhodes character would have been money. I'm glad he left and was able to reinvent himself. This all looks promising and I'm excited.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that Cody and Goldust was a good team, but once Stardust came into the picture is when things fell apart. Stardust was entertaining, but it should have been dropped eventually. A broken Cody Rhodes character would have been money. I'm glad he left and was able to reinvent himself. This all looks promising and I'm excited.
    The funny thing is, after his dad died people thought he would ditch the paint but he tweeted that it would have been in poor taste or something along those lines. Then after he (Cody) left, he talked about how when Dusty died he wanted to ditch the paint and do something else lol. It was one of those things where you wonder, was he towing the company line the first time he was talking about it and then was being honest after leaving?

I mean, in reality, Stardust was a bigger deal than people realize. Without that character, there is no relationship with Green Arrow.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cody's Mustache and the paper bags were both more entertaining than Stardust. Although the stardust gloves were pretty cool.

I always thought Cody was just going through the motions with Stardust, with the intention of hopefully getting a Goldust/Stardust 1-1 feud at Mania. Was there an injury that derailed this?

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ussr
    The funny thing is, after his dad died people thought he would ditch the paint but he tweeted that it would have been in poor taste or something along those lines. Then after he (Cody) left, he talked about how when Dusty died he wanted to ditch the paint and do something else lol. It was one of those things where you wonder, was he towing the company line the first time he was talking about it and then was being honest after leaving?

I mean, in reality, Stardust was a bigger deal than people realize. Without that character, there is no relationship with Green Arrow.
    i seem to remember cody getting very defensive online when people criticized the stardust gimmick (which sucked)

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3puppies View Post
    Cody's Mustache and the paper bags were both more entertaining than Stardust. Although the stardust gloves were pretty cool.

I always thought Cody was just going through the motions with Stardust, with the intention of hopefully getting a Goldust/Stardust 1-1 feud at Mania. Was there an injury that derailed this?
    I think they put it on the Feb ppv to help draw viewers and the match completely fucking sucked so they scrapped the entire thing and put Stardust in the MITB match. Could have been injury related on Goldust's end idk.

i seem to remember cody getting very defensive online when people criticized the stardust gimmick (which sucked)
    He was very defensive.

I liked the gimmick a lot. I didn't think it was going to be the rest of his career but I liked what they were doing. And again, he landed a role on Arrow and made a lifelong friend in Stephen Amell. That shit wouldn't have happened as DASHING Cody Rhodes.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dashing was so cheesy and smug that I loved it. I even sang the theme tune for one of my milestone posts years ago.

Stardust was alright too and he was really into the gimmick. I recall him on UUDD really getting into the character too.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Dashing was so cheesy and smug that I loved it. I even sang the theme tune for one of my milestone posts years ago.

Stardust was alright too and he was really into the gimmick. I recall him on UUDD really getting into the character too.
    I'll be honest I did not see much of "Dashing" Cody Rhodes. I think what I liked about Stardust was that it was so out there, even more bizarre than Goldust-while not even really being like Goldust to begin with.

I don't think it was ever going to be a long-term thing but it definitely made him stand out and again, gave him opportunities he would never have been given without it.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wasn't there kind of teasing of a program between Stardust (with The Ascension) and Cesaro at one point?

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wasn't there kind of teasing of a program between Stardust (with The Ascension) and Cesaro at one point?
    idk but I did like the use of Ascension with Stardust. Even if it was kind of a jobber stable. But again, it was something that I don't think Vince McMahon and others didn't fully grasp.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel like I saw them (Stardust and The Ascension) sitting in the crowd, holding Cesaro Section signs. Either I'm vaguely remembering that or totally pulling it out of thin air.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel like I saw them (Stardust and The Ascension) sitting in the crowd, holding Cesaro Section signs. Either I'm vaguely remembering that or totally pulling it out of thin air.
    Had to do some digging but you're right, late 2015 they were teasing some stuff with Stardust and Cesaro and it never went anywhere lol.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had to do some digging but you're right, late 2015 they were teasing some stuff with Stardust and Cesaro and it never went anywhere lol.
    Haha, thanks for looking. Whatever the heck that was going to be, it would have been interesting just to see play out.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha, thanks for looking. Whatever the heck that was going to be, it would have been interesting just to see play out.
    No doubt. Cesaro in some bizarre feud would have been very interesting.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cesaro got injured. Cody said it he was really excited about the feud and disappointed it had to get scrapped.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stupid injuries...

We haven’t become anything — we simply are as we are
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    usa
    New Road has Cody cutting a heck of a promo of his own

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    ITV Box Office for Double or Nothing in the UK.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If anyone was still considering going, I've got two tickets I'm selling (no longer going). You can just PM me if you're interesting in buying them.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kdestiny View Post
    New Road has Cody cutting a heck of a promo of his own
    That promo was fucking amazing.

While I'm for sure going to watch Cody/Dustin, I'm strongly considering watching this whole show.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    ITV Box Office for Double or Nothing in the UK.
    Looks like the first Wrestling ppv I will be ordering since the launch of the WWE Network

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I will wait for WWE to buy AEW and put the show up on the WWE Network.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will wait for WWE to buy AEW and put the show up on the WWE Network.
    LOL.

That would be hilarious.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
    Looks like the first Wrestling ppv I will be ordering since the launch of the WWE Network
    I’d consider it if I could watch live. £15 is not too bad.

Oh, just seen it’s on a Saturday night! Ok, I’m going to order this.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like AEW on TNT will be made official next week, per multiple reports.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cody Rhodes: "I'm here to kill the Attitude Era because we need to move on from that era"

AEW on TNT

I guess WCW had it's own era lol. I'm not that serious about this but it's just weird to me that 20 years later TNT decides to put wrasslin' back on.

It's interesting when you overthink how much the nWo is responsible for AEW.

The Bullet Club built their status on throwing up "too sweet". People gravitated toward this nWo like faction using their colors, their mentality, their hand sign. The nWo is what made TNT for several years the go-to station for pro wrestling. Everyone worth a damn that "started" this company was a Bullet Club member.

20 years later here we go again. Now all we need is the 1st episode to open with Cody Hall interrupting Omega and Cody and asking to do a survey.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    They should pick up the aging, baby face Cena and then turn him heel at one of their PPVs in a swerve no one saw coming and then team him up with Cody Hall and some tall fucker. Wait is Cody Hall nearing his 40s? Nah, might as well get Goldust and Jericho to be his buddies, then they can act all cool with their walkers and oxygen tanks.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They should pick up the aging, baby face Cena and then turn him heel at one of their PPVs in a swerve no one saw coming and then team him up with Cody Hall and some tall fucker. Wait is Cody Hall nearing his 40s? Nah, might as well get Goldust and Jericho to be his buddies, then they can act all cool with their walkers and oxygen tanks.
    Naw dude is only 27.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cody Rhodes: "I'm here to kill the Attitude Era because we need to move on from that era"

AEW on TNT

I guess WCW had it's own era lol. I'm not that serious about this but it's just weird to me that 20 years later TNT decides to put wrasslin' back on.

It's interesting when you overthink how much the nWo is responsible for AEW.

The Bullet Club built their status on throwing up "too sweet". People gravitated toward this nWo like faction using their colors, their mentality, their hand sign. The nWo is what made TNT for several years the go-to station for pro wrestling. Everyone worth a damn that "started" this company was a Bullet Club member.

20 years later here we go again. Now all we need is the 1st episode to open with Cody Hall interrupting Omega and Cody and asking to do a survey.
    I’m curious. Are you making the point in the first portion (since you hate people splicing quotes) of your post to to allude to the notion that they’re being hypocrites?

Intercontinental Champion Jitters's Avatar
    Mentioned
    137 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually with the state WWE is in now I would say AEW coming about is the best thing to happen in wrestling for a long time yeah it's got awhile to go but if they can produce great storylines, great promos which they have been doing this show is off to a winner and hopefully it will get WWE to wise up a bit, I feel like after the network era really that the show has been lacking somewhat, the brand split isn't a huge problem it's the creative WWE have done it all nearly maybe they're starting to run out of ideas but then why is NXT the best brand?

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m curious. Are you making the point in the first portion (since you hate people splicing quotes) of your post to to allude to the notion that they’re being hypocrites?
    1000%. I'm not saying it's a bad thing. I just find it comical that wrestling is stuck in this bubble where here we are with another wrestling promotion that "might" be a challenge due to the $$$ behind it winding up on TNT. Now all we need to know is, are they going to battle Raw or Smackdown?

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Diamond View Post
    Actually with the state WWE is in now I would say AEW coming about is the best thing to happen in wrestling for a long time yeah it's got awhile to go but if they can produce great storylines, great promos which they have been doing this show is off to a winner and hopefully it will get WWE to wise up a bit, I feel like after the network era really that the show has been lacking somewhat, the brand split isn't a huge problem it's the creative WWE have done it all nearly maybe they're starting to run out of ideas but then why is NXT the best brand?
    NXT is the "best brand" to hardcore (not the style) wrestling fans. It doesn't make any money whatsoever.

I feel a tiny % of fans think that the WWE is in some "state" because we are so in tune and in the wrestling bubble. But the reality is, I read a lot of older fans who are having a nostalgia trip and the young fans are just parakeeting because they forgot that no matter how much money you have, the WWE is pro wrestling.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1000%. I'm not saying it's a bad thing. I just find it comical that wrestling is stuck in this bubble where here we are with another wrestling promotion that "might" be a challenge due to the $$$ behind it winding up on TNT. Now all we need to know is, are they going to battle Raw or Smackdown?
    I guess that is fair to an extent but it’s helpful with the qualifier that you’re not saying it’s a bad thing. Without knowing the specifics, this could be the best of what is available to them. Maybe other networks were on board but they had a lot of qualifiers that didn’t jive with what AEW is hoping to accomplish. Maybe Netflix was on board but it was a deal like Vince is getting now with the XFL. That’s just a hypothetical. With whatever was a competitor to Turner, it could be money, could be philosophies, could be day of the week, could be the executives around were pricks. Could be anything. I would think if they don’t air on Monday or Friday, which is possible, that works against your point in some ways.
    Last edited by BGMaverick; May 9th, 2019 at 5:51 PM.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess that is fair to an extent but it’s helpful with the qualifier that you’re not saying it’s a bad thing. Without knowing the specifics, this could be the best of what is available to them. Maybe other networks were on board but they had a lot of qualifiers that didn’t jive with what AEW is hoping to accomplish. Maybe Netflix was on board but it was a deal like Vince is getting now with the XFL. That’s just a hypothetical. With whatever was a competitor to Turner, it could be money, could be philosophies, could be day of the week, could be the executives around were pricks. Could be anything.
    Very true. I would like to know and I'm sure we'll find out soon just what was the reasoning behind going to TNT outside of "Nitro was on TNT." I mean, we have to remember, there aren't as many NEW fans as there are old fans watching pro wrestling. IMO. So if you cater to the "this is what's familiar" mentality, they're not exactly doing it wrong.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    Got in there early, just ordered the PPV.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Is Glacier in the BR or is someone on wiki taking the piss.