User Tag List

Thread: UFC 232 Jones v. Gustafsson 2 Discussion Thread

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

UFC 232 Jones v. Gustafsson 2 Discussion Thread

As with most Jon Jones fights since oh idk the cancellation of UFC 151, this fight card did not come without controversy.

Now relocated to the Forum in Ingelwood, CA (a short 3 hour drive, right?) due to Jones not being licensed to compete by the NSAC (if you don't know why get out from under the rock).

This fight card is fucking slick. Co-main event puts easily the top 2 female fighters in MMA, possibly ever, in a 5-round contest.

We also have one of my top 5 faves of all time Carlos Condit hopefully getting a W against Michael Chiesa. Latifi v. Anderson and Mendes v. Volkanovski to round out the rest of the main card.

The prelims....We have the return of BJ Penn (when the fuck was the last time he fought on the prelims!?!?) Andrei Arlovski as well. You have Cat Zingano making her return against Megan Anderson so that should be a good one too.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Genuinely hope the whole arena boos the shit out of Jonny, Alex tunes him up for a victory, and he sobs in the ring before pulling a Forrest/Ronda in defeat.

Tons of other interesting things going on on this card as well and super looking forward to Saturday.

War BJ! ... and the answer to your question is his first ever pro fight at UFC 31 in 2001.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Either way the winner can possibly be a lose-lose situation. Let's take Gus....He's made of glass held together by cheap ass glue you find at the dollar store. So if he wins, how long before he's out for 2 years? Then you have Jones who's a walking time bomb.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    I don't think Alex winning and continuing to be oft-injured is remotely as problematic for the sport as Jon winning and continuing to drape his legacy in black-eye inducing controversy.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Percussion View Post
    I don't think Alex winning and continuing to be oft-injured is remotely as problematic for the sport as Jon winning and continuing to drape his legacy in black-eye inducing controversy.
    No doubt. We're already losing DC in 2019 though, maybe, so 205 needs to come alive again if we lose Gus, Jones, or both of them as well in 2019.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    I miss the glory days of 205 too.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jones fails his post fight drugs test anyway is my bet. So hopefully he gets knocked out before then.

I love this card. The two title fights are high end scraps. Those divisions have de facto #1 contender fights in Latifi/Corey and Zingano/Anderson. Always great to see Condit compete. Penn and Arlovski are legends but hopefully can turn back the clock. Mendes/Volk winner is in contention. Then Yan/Andrade and Siyar/Millender are good prospect fights with guys with plenty of momentum. The other 3 fights have intrigue too. Just a solid all rounder.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Jones wins and has zero issues from here on out, what is his future? He's missed a chunk of his prime but he's still young. He could go another 5-10. But let's just focus on the next couple fights post-Gus. Do we see him v. the winner of Cormier v. Lesnar next? Is there anyone at 205 that people are clamoring to see Jones defend his title against? I mean, if he waxes Gus and wants to stay at 205 and smash a few guys the level of a Anthony Smith or maybe Luke Rockhold wants to get that smoke if he can win a fight or 2 at 205. Yoel's old ass v. Jones?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Yet another reason to root for Gus..

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yet another reason to root for Gus..
    To avoid the possible superfight against the HW champ or because there are more interesting/better fights for Gus than Jon at 205?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    The latter in particular, but I also have little interest at this point in seeing Jones promoted in a heavily glorified way.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a gigantic fucking if! I think he stays at 205 for another fight, probably against the Latifi/Anderson winner as shit as that sounds. Latifi would be giving up about a foot of reach! Or if Brock's off the table for Cormier, it's Jones vs. Cormier 3 at heavyweight. It's such a big if though. He ALWAYS fucks up. He has to win too, which isn't certain. Gustafsson has a great chance tomorrow night. It could be the perfect storm. Jones' prime window is closing, you can forget about a guy with that lifestyle fighting at an elite level past 35. 10 years of mileage in the gym too. How many guys that were on the roster when he started are still around now, and winning? Long careers in this game are rare for consummate professionals, let alone Jon Jones.

Alas, I think Jones has enough to win tomorrow. He's an absurdly gifted fighter. He'll just be that bit better than Gustaffson. I think 9 times out of 10 they have a war though, their physical attributes match up so well. Could be the fight of the year, particularly if Jones is a bit rusty and distracted. God I hope he gets smashed though. Jones by a round, maybe 2, on the scorecards.

Cyborg vs. Nunes is a great fucking fight. You could argue that Nunes has already beaten 4 of the top 10 women of all time, who could be 4 of the top 5 to ever compete at 135 (Holm, and maybe Kaufman and Coenen are the only ones that can dispute that). It's a fantastic run she's on. Great fighter. Now she's got Cyborg, the most dominant female in the sport's history, who is finally getting the name fights to build her resume as the GOAT. Put simply, the winner has that title. They would both be the other's best win. Nunes would be the first 2 weight champ, Cyborg would remain unbeaten since her debut. And it's a close one. Nunes has a larger canvas of performances against talented women, but Cyborg's last out against Holm put paid to the can crusher myth. Holm is very good and she got shut down. Cyborg has the size advantage, Nunes likely the speed. Nunes might be the fresher fighter as Cris has had a long career. I'm leaning Cyborg getting to her in the later rounds as Nunes uses more lateral movement than usual to evade Cyborg, banks rounds but tires and gets bludgeoned in the fourth. I can see Nunes beating her to the punch and winning in spectacular fashion too. Great fight.

Chiesa vs. Condit is a cut and dry takedown, pass, rear naked choke win for Chiesa isn't it? I love Condit but his TDD has always been bobbins, and more offensive grapplers just cut through him nowadays. I would love a vintage performance with the muay thai but can't see it. Chiesa SUB1.

Latifi knocks out Anderson in a transition with a short hook. He's hard to take down, Anderson's chin isn't great, might take a round but he'll find the shot and put him out.

Mendes vs. Volkanovski is a superb fight. Two ranked fighters in one of the most talent rich divisions. Mendes is world class, Volk is looking to get there. Not sure I trust Mendes' chin anymore but Volk isn't a big puncher. I see them cancelling each others wrestling out and Alex landing the more hurtful shots on the feet for a breakout win on points.

Walt Harris vs. Pitbull Arlovski is dependent on Andrei's strategy. He can easily take it if he wrestles. If he trades, Walt bangs him out. I've seen enough Arlovski to lean for the latter. Harris KO1.

Zingano vs. Anderson. Unless the weight difference is too much, Cat wrestlefucks her to a decision. Perfect style match-up for her on paper, physical tools notwithstanding. Always a chance Megan lands something, but Cat is tough as hell and should work through it.

Yan vs. Andrade is a legit prospect fight. Yan has contender potential but it's a step up. I think he wins on points in a tougher than expected war.

BJ Penn gets lightly leg kicked to death and loses the most embarrassing fight of the year on points. Oh how the mighty. Ryan Hall is terrible on the feet so if Penn can't beat him it is comfortably the worst loss of his career.

Ewell vs. Wood is another good 135lb prospect battle. Haven't seen a lot of either, but expecting it to be tight and go to the cards.

Hall vs. Lewis could be a banger. Hall has shook the timid tag and been in some great fights lately, despite losing more than he wins. Lewis seems to be a knockout artist. Somebody's going to sleep. I think Hall takes him out after surviving early trouble.

Millender vs. Siyar is legit as well. Millender is massive for 170 and looms very decent. Siyar has been around years, big puncher, great timing, but very inactive. If Millender's chin holds up he should be too much for him, but it only takes one shot. Millender on points.

Jackson vs. Kelleher another good fight. Kelleher has top level experience and Jackson looks a talent. Kelleher to be too much at this stage is my lean though, second round stoppage.

Great fucking card.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ryan Hall isn't a jabroni but if that's not a gimme fight for BJ Penn to at the very fucking least go out on a win in the biggest MMA promotion on the planet, let's hope my favorite fighter of all time can pull it off. One would love to think these 2 will have a grapple fest, but BJ Penn gave up on his BJJ after choking out Matt Hughes.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He had a couple more impressive grappling performances after that. That Fitch first round was akin to an old man Demian Maia performance. Just relentless top pressure. Shame he spent his next two fights against big welterweights and took a pair of sustained beatings. To be fair, Edgar, Nick Diaz, McDonald and Fitch were all top tier fighters when he fought them. Yair Rodriguez is a fine young fighter with such an atheltic advantage at that point that it was a ridiculous fight to take. Siver's his worse loss, and he was 10-3 in his last few fights, with only a 29-28 loss to Kawajiri as defeats outside of the top 5. Maybe Penn isn't completely shot. Put a similar natural lightweight who can just about cut to 155 (say, Pettis or Melendez) and I think they only beats Siver out of that lot. They'd kill Ryan Hall.

It has to be curtains with a loss. It's such a WTF fight. 9th fight down, no promotion, 18 months after his last fight, against a no mark. This man is a two weight world champion, and he's going out like this? Hendo was still getting main events at 1-5 in his last fights. It's not like there aren't name fights with guys on similar career arc's - Gomi, Maynard, Guida, Lauzon, Pearson - why Ryan Hall? In a little promoted prelim bout?
    Last edited by Fanny Batter; December 28th, 2018 at 6:37 PM.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    And so this is now officially for the LHW title..

Daniel Cormier to relinquish UFC light heavyweight title

..and yet another reason to root for Big Gus.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anybody listening to these stupid dickheads from the UFC's drug testing system defending Jon Jones? Two unintentional "digestions" in 12 fucking months apparently. Talks a good game Novitsky and the other clown, but they're shills on the payroll.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    I really fucking hope GUS fucking smashes this stupid cunt tonight! Going to try and stay up but its been a long day of boozing and celebrating football. Hoping to make it 3-0 to the goos guys but 6am!

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    Watching old BJ is fucking brutal

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Zingano/Anderson should have been a NC. When an accidental eye poke from a punch results in the fight ending it's not a TKO and I don't see how this is any different.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    And yes; old BJ Penn is very, very hard to watch.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I LOVE the random Mick Foley cameo in the audience.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hammer View Post
    I LOVE the random Mick Foley cameo in the audience.
    that was awesome!

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    It is soooooo hard to watch Carlos Condit fight nowadays. His losses are by-the-book predictable.

We haven’t become anything — we simply are as we are
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    usa
    Yes Nunes

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    It is soooooo hard to watch Carlos Condit fight nowadays. His losses are by-the-book predictable.
    Him and BJ have made sad tonight.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Yes!!!!!!!

Amanda Nunes just became a star.

Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    usa
    So stoked for her

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dana White talked about people should know when to hang them up and that he wouldn't let Chuck fight for his promotion but let's BJ Penn fight? Not exactly the same but close.

Congrats to Nunes for her awesomely brutal win. I new she had the ability to beat her ass.

Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    usa
    Ugh

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    He's simply on another level, nothing else to it.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    God I wish he wasn't so good. So damn good. Cheating bastard. Virtuoso in the cage though. Cut through an elite fighter, methodically, like knife through shit. Didn't need to go up a gear. Lethal. Has to be Cormier at heavyweight next doesn't it? New spin on the great rivalry.

Nunes, wow. Got off first, often, never let Cyborg settle into a rhythm, then took her how violently, with great shot selection. Greatest female fighter of all time, without dispute. Probably Holm next, at either weight, if she wins that she has beaten 6 of the 7 other UFC champions 125lb and above in history. And I don't think she needs to fight Nicco Montana. Cyborg showed class in defeat, her and Anderson makes sense now if she carries on.

Chiesa/Condit was abysmal matchmaking. Giving a fan friendly, adored action fighter a guy that was always going to do that to him. Chiesa is a bellend. Condit's done now, whereas he could've had a "fun fights" .500 record run against the Perry's, Cowboy's and Medieros' of this world for a couple of years.

Corey Anderson surprised me with his chin. Him being a top 5 fighter is hilarious though.

Volkanovski is a beast. What a fight. I can't see how he matches up against Holloway without being kept on the end of Max's rangey combos, but he deserves a shot. Maybe he can be Ortega's bounce back fight, if he has answers to his length then he'd stand a chance against Max.

Heavyweight fights outside the top 10 should be 1 5 minute round. Walt Harris sucks, Arlovski is now, surely, officially, toast.

Nasty poke on Cat. Unfortunate. Nothing much happened prior to that.

Petr Yan looked a beast. Finally some sensible coaches too. No need for their man to continue, he was done.

BJ Penn. For god's sake. He lost to a no name specialist by Iminari roll leglock in the 9th fight down on a card. BJ Penn.

Nathaniel Wood is a prospect. Looked excellent, and got the finish.

Uriah Hall has power and experience. As long as his chin holds up he'll hold that gate for a while yet.

Millender and Siyar had a good fight. Clear winner, but had to show a chin, toughness and cardio. A good test.

Jackson looked great against Kelleher. Another one to watch.

too big to fail Tainted Eclipse's Avatar
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ussr
    not much interest in seeing jones/DC 3 at LHW, lots of interest in seeing it at HW.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I would be surprised if Nunes and Cyborg don't run it back immediately. Hopefully with Amanda winning again.

And it's either DC at HW or Corey Anderson at LHW for Jones next. Guess which one I would prefer.

Donde esta la biblioteca Pablo Diablo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    He really is just too good. Drug cheat or no.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a shame he's reached Demetrious levels of shit competition at his weight class now though. Thiago Santos got knocked out by David Branch this year and he's top 10. Santos himself knocked out Anthony Smith before that, and Smith's top 5 now. Corey Anderson will be top 5 come Wednesday. He needs the Cormier fight, honestly. At heavyweight. DC has legendary wins at 205 (Gustafsson, Rumble, Henderson) and heavyweight (Miocic, Barnett, Mir). Jones' run is spectacular, but beating Cormier at heavyweight, and by virtue eating Cormier's heavyweight legacy while gaining a title in a further weight class? Without dispute the greatest resume of all time.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    So Cyborg was complaining about "being disrespected" by the UFC for calling Nunes the GOAT, with her argument centering around Nunes' 4 losses to her 2. Needless to say I'm happy Amanda cleaned her clock.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Without question Amanda Nunes=Female GOAT. I'll be honest, I figured she'd have the speed advantage but that accuracy was just the icing on the cake. I don't even know how to describe that victory. To me it was an upset, but it wasn't like Matt Serra-GSP. Cyborg seemed to just want to Chute Box brawl and you can't do that with someone with the accuracy of Nunes idc what weight class she's in.

Jon Jones....GOAT. Gus is someone that doesn't get finished and when he has it was inexperience (Davis) and then the "questionable" KO loss to one of if not the hardest hitters at 205 (Rumble). But what is next for Jones. He was talking to KenFlo and Anthony Smith was in the studio, Jones welcomed a fight against him in July, against ANYONE. I'm not really interested in a 3rd Cormier fight but if it did happen, 205, HW? Either or is fine.

The rest of the card was very solid but my heart breaks for Condit and BJ Penn. All of my favorite fighters seem to eventually go down a miserable path (Chuck Liddell, Ken Shamrock) and these 2 are no exception

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There’s nothing at lhw for Jones. He has the best fight IQ of any mma fighter ever. It’s a shame he’s so fucking good and is such a massive bellend. I’d only be interested in him vs Cormier at heavyweight. Cormier is too compromised going to LHW.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a shame that the UFC haven't really put a lot behind anyone beyond the top 3 at 205 (Bones, Cormier, Gus) to really make it worth Jones' time. Sure, I'd like to see him fight Anthony Smith, but if we're pretending to be the suits then that fight probably doesn't do as big as Jones moving up to HW and fighting those guys like Cormier, Stipe, Dos Santos, etc.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    After watching a recent video interview of Rumble there's no way he can make 205.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After watching a recent video interview of Rumble there's no way he can make 205.
    lol. I mean, he COULD, he's cut 50lbs. before lol. My question is, the only pics I've seen of him he has a shirt on. Is he just super fat or roided the fuck up?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    He looks like he'd have to cut to HW.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He looks like he'd have to cut to HW.
    Jones v. Rumble @ HW? Let's do it.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    Jones v. Rumble @ HW? Let's do it.
    285 lb. HW Rumble..

but I agree, cause this would be pretty dope..

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    The size of him. He'd pose a legit puncher's chance threat.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He’d pose no cardio threat. Rumble needs to come back at heavyweight and not fight Cormier.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How much juice was Jon on to where that shit is still showing up? lol. How is it that no other fighter in the entire world deals with that but Jonesy?

BREAK IT DOWN
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    How much juice was Jon on to where that shit is still showing up? lol. How is it that no other fighter in the entire world deals with that but Jonesy?
    cause he is the GOAT