January 10th - Captain America
    January 17th - The Avengers
    January 24th - Iron Man 3
    January 31st - Thor: The Dark World

February 7th - Guardians of the Galaxy
    February 14th - Winter Soldier
    Feburary 21st - Age of Ultron
    February 28th - Ant-Man

March 7th - Civil War (Captain Marvel Drops This Week)
    March 14th - Black Panther
    March 21st - Spider-Man: Homecoming
    March 28th - Ant Man & The Wasp

April 4th - Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2
    April 11th - Doctor Strange
    April 18th - Thor Ragnarok
    April 25th - Infinity War (Avengers End Game Drops This Week)

Your assignment this week, should you choose to accept it. Watch Iron Man and talk about it here...

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    Hmm...

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    I've only seen a few, but did them in the wrong order.

Thor: The Dark World
    Guardians of the Galaxy
    Thor
    Iron Man
    Thor: Ragnarok

Not really my kind of films, so I thought, but I bloody loved Guardians, Ragnarok and Iron Man. I plan on going through the rest in the correct order.

Defiance is a four letter
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll see what I can do. I've been meaning to go through all the movies I missed. Sounds like a fun idea, though.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    I'm down to give it a shot.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I may try to give this a try. Be nice to rewatch some of this stuff. Problem is that I don't own all of them but maybe I can figure it out getting from library or something or I guess just rent from somewhere

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wanna do this but where does Captain Marvel fit into all this?

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel like you just gotta double up with Civil War or Black Panther.

Mentioned
    290 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I did this last year before Infinity War but my order was different (I did it by release date). Had to go buy a few but I have them now. So I'm ready to do this again!

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    If there's a callback to anything from "Iron Man", I hope it's Yinsen's line "This was always the plan"...
    I also think Jeff Bridges' Iron Monger is criminally underrated...

Remember when they mentioned the Ten Rings, and we were all excited that The Mandarin would show up in the future? Good times...

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did a bit of wiki-ing and regarding that last Mandarin bit, Bill, did you know about this?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_Hail_the_King

Seems like the real Mandarin does exist in the MCU so it could still happen.

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't notice the line up wasn't in release order. How come, Bill?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    It was modified based on several recommended watch lists as well as general chronology...

Winter Soldier and Age of Ultron heavily build into Civil War themes, so they're as close as they can be, while Black Panther, Spider-Man and Ant Man Wasp all deal with the fallout of Civil War plot threads. Kind of a Post Civil War trilogy...

Guardians 2 is sitting where it is because Stan Lee references Civil War, Then Doctor Strange is introduced, who is in Thor Ragnarok, whose ending leads to the beginning of Infinity War. Kind of a cosmic trilogy...

The only major issue is Stephen Strange was mentioned in Winter Soldier, yet his origin story took place after Civil War, which is an irreconcilable plot hole on Marvel's part...
    Last edited by Bill Casey; December 16th, 2018 at 7:07 PM.

The Thinking Man's Idiot Simmo Fortyone's Avatar
    Andre giant once eat kid hot dog at arena. He then laugh. I never forgive that fat motherfucker for that
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will watch Iron Man tomorrow night. I don't reckon I've seen it since 2009 or whenever it came out on "DVD"

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iron Man - ****

The first thing you notice watching it back is just how well they set up the idea of a larger, connected universe. You have the obviousness of SHIELD and Agent Coulson, but the notion of interconnectivity in the world is emphasised much more than usual for a film of its type, looking wider at the themes of responsibility and actions meaning something, rather than just plot points there to aid to story.

It's a film which was to live or die on the strength of the chemistry of its stars, and for the most part the casting was judged well. Downey Jr has an ease on which he performs with other actors and creates an essence of emotional bonding. It's not just his performances in the MCU, it's something which permeates his entire career, which is why I think he probably got the role. Him and Paltrow are a wonderful pairing, both brilliantly portraying the growth in their characters and relationship through the film. As where Downey Jr has the more obvious build, Paltrow's Potts is arguably a tougher sell, going from distinctly uninteresting and bland to showing a strength and character which surprises and brings a smile to the face.

It's that smile inducing nature of the film which really sets it off too. It's is genuinely funny, as have all the best MCU movies been. The robots show more charm and comedy timing than a lot of human actors in dodgy comedies over the past 10 years. Fire extinguisher had me bellowing in laughter once again.

Terrence Howard though fell very flat. While the rest of the cast was on point, his performance felt phoned in, like it was a nothing pay day rather than the start of something. Also, after Stark/Potts, Stark/Rhodes is the most important relationship in the movie and yet it's the one which feels fake. Downey Jr connects well with everyone, yet at no point do I believe in their friendship. Perhaps most harshly, I kept thinking about how Cheadle would be so much better. Howard comes across as doing a bad Cheadle impression, something only possible knowing what's to come, but that's what it looks like now. Undoubtedly the right call to change actors.

Special mention to Jeff Bridges who gave us a very strong villain to start the whole ball rolling. While far too black and white for today's sensibilities, he plays the role with menace and a sadistic quality which really makes you dislike him.

That black and white villain does help to highlight something which surprised me as I was watching, how incredibly conventional the film is. We've become used to the MCU playing with convention in so many ways, but here is essentially a bog standard superhero film. The direction is nothing special, there's not the flair or visual spectacle of even the X-Men or Spiderman films which came before it. The score is, well, bad, a cliched and uninspiring splodge of sound. The editing really took me off guard in places with its abruptness and almost by the numbers use of classic sci-fi cutting techniques (there are quite a few obvious visual nods to Star Wars). Watched through modern eyes there's very little to set it apart.

Except Downey Jr, who is a titan in this film. It's no stretch to say without this tour de force of a performance there is no MCU. Everything about Stark, the charm, the dickhead, the doubt, the deathwish, the wit, the desire to defend, he absolutely nails it. He doesn't just carry the film, he makes it fly.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    An unsung hero and Marvel's secret weapon is their casting director, Sarah Halley Finn...

She cast for every MCU film except the Ed Norton Hulk movie...

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Casey View Post
    An unsung hero and Marvel's secret weapon is their casting director, Sarah Halley Finn...

She cast for every MCU film except the Ed Norton Hulk movie...
    She is the GOAT.

Mentioned
    498 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She absolutely has done a fantastic job.

Watching iron man tonight or tomorrow.

Andre giant once eat kid hot dog at arena. He then laugh. I never forgive that fat motherfucker for that
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watched Iron Man last night. Kind of felt like watching an episode of something given the vast scale of everything that's taken place since.

But looking back at it in context where superhero/comic book movies had been largely shithouse for the decade-ish before Batman Begins came out. It seemed like dark and gritty was the way forward, but Iron Man seemed far more grounded in the real world than the Nolan Batman series (and everything before that) ever did. The villain had clear motivation that was understood without having to be sympathised with.

I've also thought since watching it about who other than RDJ could have played that role. Tom Cruise was in consideration, but I don't think he would have stuck around for the whole MCU thing. Same with Hugh Jackman since he was also Wolverine. Another possibility at the time was Sam Rockwell who might have been able to pull it off, but RDJ bloody owned that role.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    australia
    So after ignoring these films for like a decade, I'm ready willing and able to jump in.

Do the TV series tie in with the movies at all, or are they largely stand alone?

Donde esta la biblioteca Pablo Diablo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Basically entirely stand alone. The TV shows may reference the movies. But it NEVER goes the other way.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    australia
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo Diablo View Post
    Basically entirely stand alone. The TV shows may reference the movies. But it NEVER goes the other way.
    Cheers mate.

I'd dismissed these films as rubbish without giving them a go. I now realise I was probably wrong about that, but I feel a little late to the party, like there's way too much content to get through to get caught up to date.

For anyone interested, I found this viewing order (current to 2 weeks ago) on the Independent website, which incorporates all of the films and shows.

Spoilered only for size

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't fathom the idea of incorporating the TV shows into this kind of re-watch thing. Way too much.

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, watch the films V6, consider the tv shows as extra if you want them.

Honestly, it’s going to be really enjoyable hearing the thoughts of somebody new to the films. 80%+ are good to genre defining.

When you’re caught up on the films, Daredevil 1, 2, 3, Jessica Jones 1, 2, Luke Cage 1 and The Punisher are all worth investing in Netflix wise.

- - - Updated - - -

Defender too.

But never Iron Fist. Never fucking Iron Fist.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    australia
    Quote Originally Posted by Simmo Fortyone View Post
    I can't fathom the idea of incorporating the TV shows into this kind of re-watch thing. Way too much.
    I'm no chance of even getting through the movies, if I'm honest.

I watch about 2 hours of TV a week.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Version 6 View Post
    I'd dismissed these films as rubbish without giving them a go. I now realise I was probably wrong about that, but I feel a little late to the party, like there's way too much content to get through to get caught up to date.
    Quote Originally Posted by Version 6 View Post
    I'm no chance of even getting through the movies, if I'm honest.

I watch about 2 hours of TV a week.
    If you need a lighter load, these four are pretty skippable and largely considered the worst ones...

December 20th - Iron Man 2
    December 27th - The Incredible Hulk
    January 24th - Iron Man 3
    January 31st - Thor: The Dark World
    Just watch "Iron Man" this month, and "Thor", "Captain America" and "The Avengers" in January...
    By February, you should know if you want to keep going...
    Last edited by Bill Casey; December 20th, 2018 at 1:26 AM.

Administrator
    Mentioned
    181 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just watched Guardians 2 and decided to jump into this as well.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Week 2 of The Infinity Watch, it's time for Iron Man 2...

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watched this last night. The trailer above suggests there's lots of different themes and ideas in the film. Unfortunately, they don't come together at all and it's a bit of a mess.

It was as if they couldn't figure out the main thread of the film, and so we got a lot of smaller threads that feel undercooked and disjointed. Tony under threat from the US Government about his use of the Iron Man armour is a great idea, but it's dropped half-way through the film. Vanko being the big bad - his crafting of this own arc reactor mirroring Tony's scenes in the cave from the first film - is largely abandoned for a villain team-up that does neither character any favours. Tony and Obadiah might not have had any huge showdowns, but they had enough scenes together to sell the relationship and make Obadiah's betrayal impactful. Rourke by contrast is given nothing to work with and his scenes with Rockwell are flat and repetitive. Then you have Tony dying for a while, reflecting on his father and the SHIELD stuff in the second hour which is like being transported into a different film.

I think the characterisations are really awkward. It's largely because everyone is in conflict and thus they come across as annoying. The scenes between Tony and Pepper in Iron Man really popped. They had some funny and tender moments and both characters changed over the course of the film. In this film, the banter just doesn't land in the same way. They talk over each other and have competing conversations, but not in a way that's cute or smart. Their relationship becoming romantic in the end just doesn't feel earned, when they've been completely at odds from the beginning. And while I feel Cheadle is a much better Rhodey than Howard, I actually preferred their characters' relationship in the first film. Rhodey is a bystander for most of the film - he's pushed around by Congress, watches on helplessly as Stark makes dumb decisions and then gets briefly taken over by Vanko in the finale.

The action is ok, but not as well paced or memorable as the first film. The Monaco fight is over just as it gets going and seeing Tony and a bunch of drones streaking through the night sky is nothing to write home about. Black Widow and Happy taking on some random bad guys is more enjoyable - neither get much to do otherwise. Seeing RDJ's face with the HUD screen in Iron Man was a masterstroke, in terms of giving us a window into his thoughts and feelings without him needing to lose his helmet the way that Spiderman constantly misplaced his mask in the Tobey Maguire films. But the snappy banter and frenzied conversations with Jarvis are missing this time around and it means that the action scenes don't have the same weight or urgency.

Tony being out of the suit for such long stretches in this film is to its detriment, because he's just frustrating to watch. His best stuff is gaining a new perspective on his Dad, but I wonder if that stood out to me because of how we know this is explored later in the franchise. He still has some good one-liners and facial expressions here and there. But his motivations and choices are so scatty and it feels like they strip away a lot of what made him so compelling. I really think that RDJ and SLJ are probably the best pairing in this film, as it's the only time when Tony isn't trying to have a hyperactive conversation and actually learns something.

Overall, I think Iron Man 2 is a real disappointment and could have easily derailed Marvel's plans for a cinematic universe if superhero films had been more prominent at the time. It doesn't deliver on the excellent "I am Iron Man" ending of the first film, because it doesn't really try to explore what being Iron Man or Tony Stark means. There were definite vibes of Batman vs Superman with this film. Both fail to answer the questions they raise and take a very scattershot approach to their respective themes. It's a great testament to RDJ that he bounced back so immensely in The Avengers and beyond. When we get to his incredible, nuanced performance in Civil War, it beggars belief that the character could ever have been as bad as it was here.

Mentioned
    498 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Checked out Iron Man 1 again.

Still love that movie. At the time, I remember being pumped up for the Dark Knight, and skeptical that marvel could pull off a huge movie with Iron Man (don't judge me - it was a different time). Iron Man ended up being my favorite movie of the Summer.

Going back, I still love both suiting up scenes - coming out of the cave and flying overseas. These are still two of the best "becoming the hero" scenes in any of these movies.

Considering how hard it has been for most "origin movies" to shine, this one stands up better than i anticipated.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I've seen all of them except for the two Ant-mans, Winter Soldier, and The Dark World and I've only enjoyed Thor and Thor: Ragnarok

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Found this online a while ago (cant remember the source), which is a good guide for deciding which order to watch the movies in. You don't necessarily have to stick to a strict order. You just need to make sure that when you do pick a movie, you watch all the ones that lead in to it before you start.
    So of course you want to watch Iron Man 1 before 2, but you can watch The Incredible Hulk, Thor and the first Captain America movie in any order before you jump into the first Avengers movie. Or if you want to watch Thor Ragnarok, you need to make sure you watch Age of Ultron and Doctor Strange before it. Which one you watch first out of those two, doesn't really matter.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mozambique
    Are all of these movies available to watch on various streaming services? I know Black Panther and several others are on Netflix. I may do a ghetto version of this and just watch whichever ones are available on Netflix/Hulu/etc.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
    Are all of these movies available to watch on various streaming services? I know Black Panther and several others are on Netflix. I may do a ghetto version of this and just watch whichever ones are available on Netflix/Hulu/etc.
    Decider shows what streaming services have what films...

https://decider.com/movie/iron-man/

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    This week, the black sheep of the MCU, the film that is barely canon, The Incredible Hulk...

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    why is it barely canon? I mean other than the actor switching from Norton to Ruffalo are there plot points in the film that are ignored or inconsistent with future films?

btw I would love to do this rewatch with you guys if I had the time.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    This is like the one film I didn't get around to watching the first time around and I have heard that it is mostly ignored as far as things go in the Marvel Universe. I should probably find it and watch it.

I was wanting to watch all of these but I only own a handful and they are not all available on netflix and hulu and not sure I feel like buying or renting them.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Fro View Post
    why is it barely canon? I mean other than the actor switching from Norton to Ruffalo are there plot points in the film that are ignored or inconsistent with future films?

btw I would love to do this rewatch with you guys if I had the time.
    Betty Ross is ignored...
    As is The Leader, who they set up for a sequel...

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany
    Just watched infinity gauntlet with my mom as she surprisingly has a thing for comic book movie.

The spiderman scene at the end had her in legit tears. She was dumbfounded how a movie could end on such a bad note.

Anywho, my take away I didnt catch before which was nice touch of foreshadowing was gamora telling thanos that she swore on her life that she had no idea where the soul stone was. Oops.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by virmicious View Post
    Just watched infinity gauntlet with my mom as she surprisingly has a thing for comic book movie.

The spiderman scene at the end had her in legit tears. She was dumbfounded how a movie could end on such a bad note.

Anywho, my take away I didnt catch before which was nice touch of foreshadowing was gamora telling thanos that she swore on her life that she had no idea where the soul stone was. Oops.
    I thought the deleted Guardians of the Galaxy scenes were really good...

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    In The Incredible Hulk, I really love the general structure of the three Blonksy fights...
    He faces Hulk three times, and each time, he gets stronger and the fight is different...
    From Soldier, to Super Soldier and then to Abomination...

And I really like Hulk screaming at the Lightning and throwing rocks at it. It's such a great way to display that Hulk either can't understand or can't handle the world around him...

And I enjoyed that they used the "make boxing gloves out of a car" move from "Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction"...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did an Iron Man 2/Incredible Hulk double header yesterday

I really like IM2 and for quite a while it was my favourite MCU movie. Sam Rockwell is great, and having watched them both recently I prefer Cheadle over Howard as Rhodes. There is a fair bit going on story wise, but there's nothing I'd take out because I think it would then be filled with padding. I had forgotten how good a character Agent Coulson was. Love the soundtrack too.

Didn't rate TIH back in the day and still don't. Since the brightly coloured action of the last couple of MCU movies (thank you, GotG) rewatching TIH felt very gloomy. I found myself many time trying to mentally implant Ruffalo over the top of Norton. Just couldn't escape that idea.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany
    Did an Iron Man 2/Incredible Hulk double header yesterday

I really like IM2 and for quite a while it was my favourite MCU movie. Sam Rockwell is great, and having watched them both recently I prefer Cheadle over Howard as Rhodes. There is a fair bit going on story wise, but there's nothing I'd take out because I think it would then be filled with padding. I had forgotten how good a character Agent Coulson was. Love the soundtrack too.

Didn't rate TIH back in the day and still don't. Since the brightly coloured action of the last couple of MCU movies (thank you, GotG) rewatching TIH felt very gloomy. I found myself many time trying to mentally implant Ruffalo over the top of Norton. Just couldn't escape that idea.
    Have you watched Agents of Sheild that follows Coulson and others? Last season was honestly some great tv.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    It's Thor's Day...

We literally have a day of the week named after him...
    It's time for the film that introduced the world to Tom Hiddleston's Loki...

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iron Man 2 was much better than I remember and in a lot of ways a superior film to the first.

Never seen The Incredible Hulk, but I'm now trying to hunt down a stream.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haven't got around to watching Thor yet. Again another one I only watched once when it was out, and never since. Didn't particularly like it then, to the point where I didn't bother with Dark World.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

It's Captain America week...

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I sat down and watched Thor for the first time. It was better than I was expecting as I hadn't heard great things, and it was okay, but the Kat Dennings "comic relief" character did not work at all...

I also like how Thor meets Foster and Selvig the same way he meets the Guardians, by getting hit with their vehicle...
    Last edited by Bill Casey; January 10th, 2019 at 3:35 PM.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Captain Marvel comes out March 8, then Endgame on April 26. So basically you have to see Captain Marvel in theaters in order to be ready to see Endgame. Good strategy. That will probably get my ass into see CM when otherwise I'd wait for on demand.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    There was an idea...
    To take a bunch of franchises and mash them together...
    To see if it could make a billion dollars...
    It shouldn't have worked. Noone has been able to replicate it. Not the DCEU. Not the Dark Universe...

It's Avengers week...
    Six Films. One Phase. Still time to get caught up...

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I forgot Tommy Lee Jones was in Captain America. I love whenever he shows up...

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "I'm not kissing you."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Capt America was my fav of the original (Phase One I guess) movies, but jeez it's hokey as fuck on a re-watch. Everything just kinda tumbled along without any tension at all. Of course that's probably because I'm viewing it through a veil of another few years of character development.

The Paramount releases and the Disney ones since definitely have different feels to them.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Tony saved the world, and finally tried Shawarma, but is struggling with PTSD. Meanwhile, Rhodey is the Iron Patriot, the world is having Mandarin Problems, and there's a rise of Extremis...

Time for Iron Man 3...

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Remember when Iron Man 3 was going to have a female big bad, and Marvel Corporate said no because the toy wouldn't sell as well?

https://uproxx.com/movies/shane-blac...ys-iron-man-3/

We replaced a lot of things. The plot went this way and that way. Stéphanie Szostak’s character was bigger at one point and we reduced it. Rebecca Hall’s character was bigger at one point and we reduced it.

Why? Rebecca Hall’s character does have an abrupt ending.

All I’ll say is this, on the record: There was an early draft of Iron Man 3 where we had an inkling of a problem. Which is that we had a female character who was the villain in the draft. We had finished the script and we were given a no-holds-barred memo saying that cannot stand and we’ve changed our minds because, after consulting, we’ve decided that toy won’t sell as well if it’s a female.

What?

So, we had to change the entire script because of toy making. Now, that’s not Feige. That’s Marvel corporate, but now you don’t have that problem anymore.

Ike Perlmutter is gone.

Yeah, Ike’s gone. But New York called and said, “That’s money out of our bank.” In the earlier draft, the woman was essentially Killian – and they didn’t want a female Killian, they wanted a male Killian. I liked the idea, like Remington Steele, you think it’s the man but at the end, the woman has been running the whole show. They just said, “no way.”

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watching The Avengers I realised I'd never actually seen the whole movie through in one go before.

Something I hadn't picked up on before was that little bits of directorial/cinematographic things from the first lot of movies were incorporated into this movie. Capt = handheld camera. Hulk = tight closeups. Thor = Dutch angles.\

This was a bloody ambitious venture for it's time and they pulled it off well, tying in everyone's arc into a single movie.

And that panning hero shot when they're in midst of the final battle, wowee.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    It's Thor's Day no longer...

This film is considered by many the worst film in the MCU...
    After Marvel fired Patty Jenkins, who went on to make "Wonder Woman", we got Thor: The Dark World...
    It only gets brighter from here...

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany
    I have no recollection of that movie.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

Oh, it's time...

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I absolutely love the coordinates Easter Eggs...

"This is Mom's Cancer" represented by the Villain's DNA Helix shaped ship...

"Meredith Quill X" being the hidden message of Knowhere, which looks like an X-Ray of someone's skull...

Guys... I... think I just solved this one...

20 = T
    H = H
    I = I
    19 = S
    9 = I
    19 = S
    14 = N
    20 = T
    18 = R
    5 = E
    1 = A
    12 = L

"M This Is Nt Real"

Has anyone solved this one yet?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doing the Iron Man 3/Thor 2 double header tonight. Can't say I'm overly excited about that.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guys... I... think I just solved this one...

20 = T
    H = H
    I = I
    19 = S
    9 = I
    19 = S
    14 = N
    20 = T
    18 = R
    5 = E
    1 = A
    12 = L

"M This Is Nt Real"

Has anyone solved this one yet?
    https://screenrant.com/guardians-gal...en-easter-egg/

sorry mate

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Fuck...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iron Man 3. Liked the action scenes better than the first two. Liked that it got into the PTSD from the events of The Avengers. Liked Guy Pearce. Everything else felt too hammy. I thought the whole Mandarin thing would be a double bluff or something, it didn't feel like that devastating a twist. After reading that article Bill posted up the page I reckon that the woman would have been a better villain-behind-it-all than Pearce, at the risk of being a bit Dark-Knight-Returns-esque.

Thor 2, christ. Belongs in the 90s that movie. I liked Idris Elba and the bloke from Chuck. Natalie Portman's character was so shittily written, probably the worst female character so far in the MCU. The attempts at "scientific" exposition were a waste of everyone's time, they're "gods" for fucks sake, just let it be.

I do like the formulaic nature of these movies as fun escapism, but that does not lend itself well to watching a few in a short space of time. I was going to watch GotG (which I fucking love) tonight but I might hold off for a couple of days.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    The build up to Civil War begins...
    As Marvel blends together the superhero film with the spy thriller...
    It's time for Winter Soldier...

I do like the formulaic nature of these movies as fun escapism, but that does not lend itself well to watching a few in a short space of time. I was going to watch GotG (which I fucking love) tonight but I might hold off for a couple of days.
    One of the reasons why I decided on the "one a week" format...
    That, plus it's malleable to schedules and easier to get caught up...
    But yeah, it's formulaic...
    Last edited by Bill Casey; February 16th, 2019 at 4:18 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guardians - fuck this movie was so much fun. Subverted so many superhero movie tropes in little odd ways. Batista was bloody great. And standing up against the other MCU films so far, it's so god damn colorful and pretty. I remember thinking that then, but it's even more apparent now watching them in closer succession.

Winter Soldier - most mature movie so far. Didn't rely on any exposition to get going which is often the most tiresome parts of this genre. I forgot how good that elevator fight scene was, Capt picking up little signs that things were a bit off. And I loved the line - "before we start, does anyone want to get off?" followed by the "oh fuck" look on everyone else's face that just sent it into chaos rather than a coordinated attack.

Something I picked up this time was Bucky's mask being the inverse of Capt's - Capt's covers the top of his face, Bucky's the bottom. MIRROR OPPOSITES LADS.

The reveal of Zola being a sentient computer seemed pretty bloody stupid on this viewing. Could have just been him still being alive and nothing else would need to have changed.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    The reveal of Zola being a sentient computer seemed pretty bloody stupid on this viewing. Could have just been him still being alive and nothing else would need to have changed.
    Significantly less stupid than Arnim Zola from the comics, though...
    I mean, look at this...

Considering that's the source material of the character, a Nazi scientist who downloads his mind into a robot, I think they handled it okay...
    Plus he would have been well over a hundred...
    Last edited by Bill Casey; February 16th, 2019 at 8:23 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh ok fair enough

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    After the events of Winter Soldier, Captain America has gone from the star spangled man to developing a healthy distrust of the government, but what could make Tony start believing they need to be put in check?

I've got no strings
    To hold me down
    To make me fret
    Or make me frown
    I had strings
    But now I'm free
    There are no strings on me

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went and saw this when it came out, didn't like it much, and hadn't gone back to it at all since.

However I really liked it this time.

I feel like there might have been too much going on the first time around and I wasn't at all prepared to be paying attention to detail, just expecting some cool shit like Avengers 1. But on this viewing so many parts of the story clicked. I totally forgot that Andy Serkis' character was in this one so never got the link to vibranium/Wakanda. Thor's scene in the pool told the story of the infinity stones that I brushed aside the first time I saw it. Depth was added to Black Widow and Hawkeye as characters. I had forgotten why Hulk had disappeared until Thor Ragnarok. All I did actually remember from this (that was reaffirmed this time around) was Spader being awesome, and the seeds of division being planted.

Thoroughly enjoyed this movie this time around, and has totally justified doing this whole rewatch

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Last stop before "Civil War"...
    It's time to go small or go home...
    It's time for a mad cap heist film...
    It's time for Ant Man!

Last edited by Bill Casey; March 1st, 2019 at 9:15 PM.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    I'm sure this has been asked and answered to death, just never drove into it myself, but ... how early into this franchise was the big picture considered/realized?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I mean, "The Avengers Initiative" showed up in the post credits of Iron Man, and Thanos showed up in "The Avengers" post credits scene...

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    That's fair.

Suppose I was thinking more along the lines of a direct quote from Feige about the inception of it all. But your point makes a bunch of sense.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Oh, it's time...
    Captain America: Civil War...

Also, don't forget Captain Marvel hits theaters this weekend...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jeez Ant Man was a fun movie. Easy to enjoy because I love heist movies.

That being said, I didn't particularly enjoy Paul Rudd being the title role because he's one of those actors who is only ever himself in any movie he is in. Nothing made him distinguishable from pretty much every other character he has been. Now if that's a deliberate casting decision and it sorta matches the source material in a Deadpool-Ryan-Reynolds type way, then fair enough. I dug through some old speculative articles on "who could play Ant Man" and based on those I reckon a Jenson Ackles type could have been better. I really liked Michael Douglas. The Hank Pym role didn't have a lot to offer other than some exposition, so a lesser actor would have just been part of the background, but Douglas is unreal so it worked well. Fucking loved Michael Pena. Dude's awesome. The other two lackeys were walking talking stereotypes. I also liked Evangeline Lilly, haven't seen her in anything since Lost.

The humour felt like Iron Man 1 & 2 where it served as transitions between scenes and didn't feel shoehorned in. I guess Rudd had a lot to do with that.

Elsewhere I've read online felt that the villain was weak but I really liked him. Felt more grounded in reality that he wasn't on the side of good or evil as such, just in it for his own gain.

Bill you could probably answer this for me, I wonder if the common theme across the MCU of atypical father-child relationships is drawn from the comics (and if so, what drove it there) or if it's a reflection of varying modern family setups in a high-divorce-rate era. I liked how the relationship was portrayed in this movie, where Lang and the stepdad were doing their best to be amicable despite everything going on. It seems to be the way to go in movies these days rather than the Mrs Doubtfires and Liar Liars of old where it's all about fun old dad trying to win mum back from straight laced new dad.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Bill you could probably answer this for me, I wonder if the common theme across the MCU of atypical father-child relationships is drawn from the comics (and if so, what drove it there) or if it's a reflection of varying modern family setups in a high-divorce-rate era.
    I think daddy issues are so common to the monomyth that Joseph Campbell talks about it...
    You can run through the DC pantheon and you have Superman (Adopted), Batman (Dead Parents), Robin (Dead Parents), Wonder Woman (Zeus, has an evil brother), Aquaman (Didn't know his dad, has an evil brother), Flash (Father in prison, framed for mother's death), Green Arrow (Dad faked his death and manipulated him), etc...

And don't get me started on Star Wars, Greek Mythology, Norse Mythology, Shakespeare, etc...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah of course. Formula storytelling strikes again.

-edit- I guess it's also a very easy way to add psyche damage to otherwise extraordinary beings.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Might do Civil War before seeing Captain Marvel this weekend.

Will be interesting to see where Captain Marvel fits in the order we're doing it. I mean yeah it's set in 1995 but surely there'll be references to IW at some point. End credits probs.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man Civil War is such a good movie. I loved it when I first saw it and I think I loved it even more this time around with everything so fresh in my mind.

I need to watch more movies that have Daniel Bruhl in them. Best MCU antagonist by far - just a somewhat dude with a pinpoint plan and motivation, and he pulled it off.

If you ignore the mid-credits scene, Captain Marvel could fit in at the very start of this re-watch order.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    It's time for Civil War fallout...

Civil War introduced us to T'Challa, who had already taken the mantle of Black Panther. Now that his father was killed, he must take up another mantle. King...

Remember, blue is for colonialism...

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    black panther was awesome.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I saw this in the cinema, thought it was unreal.

Watching it this time around... eh. The action sequences were a bit flat. Seemed very choreographed compared to other MCU movies but that's more on the actors than anything. And the hand-wavy magic of vibranium felt like a crutch. Not to say there's plenty of that going on elsewhere but it was particularly evident in this movie.

That being said, the two things this movie absolutely nailed compared to others - the production design and the villain. Everything set in Wakanda looked amazing, the mix of traditional Africa and sci-fi. Would love to see more stories set there. And Killmonger's story was so well told that it wouldn't take much to flip it around and have him be the protagonist and "in the right" and T'Challa being the weirdo.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

Civil War fallout continues as Spider-Man comes home to the MCU...
    It's Spider-Man Homecoming!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never got around to seeing this one, so will be watching it for the first time this weekend

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Time for the third and final piece of Civil War fallout. Let's check in on Scott Lang's house arrest...

It's Ant Man & The Wasp!

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Never got around to seeing this one, so will be watching it for the first time this weekend
    What'd you think?

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just watched the Ant Man movies last weekend for the first time. Definitely lighter compared to the main MCU films but they were still quite enjoyable. Michael Peņa was hilarious.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What'd you think?
    Well, my first exposure to Spiderman proper was the first move with Tobey Maguire in it, and I disliked that movie. And for about the first hour I didn't feel like there was much of an improvement. The wise-cracking wise-kid doesn't really do it for me.

However the Washington Monument scene brought me back in. Not often we see in hero's journey stories the bit where they're still trying to figure shit out on the go, and panicking and being scared. And it kicked up another gear when Keaton was revealed as his date's father. From there on Holland felt waaaaay more believable as a teenager, something Maguire never did.

Keaton was fucking great. I need to go back and watch more of his movies. I also really like the girl who played Michelle.

Enjoyable movie, but I'm no more of a fan of the character as I was going in.

-edit- Also how good is Hannibal Buress. "Pretty sure this guy's a war criminal now but whatever..."
    Last edited by Simmo Fortyone; March 31st, 2019 at 5:37 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Time for the third and final piece of Civil War fallout. Let's check in on Scott Lang's house arrest...

It's Ant Man & The Wasp!
    Watched this today. Great movie!

The first one was a lot of fun, and this one was the same. Didn't feel like they were going for bigger & better & higher stakes like some sequels do. Just the same characters in the next step along in their story arc continued from the first movie. I bought Rudd a bit more as the character and not just himself this time around. Loved Michael Pena, and I think the whole "truth serum" scene is now the funniest sequence in the whole MCU (going ahead of Thor meeting the Grandmaster in Ragnarok).

Something I liked in this movie that the rest of the MCU has never really seemed to do is show that technology is sometimes flawed. Has bugs, malfunctions, doesn't work properly the first time or sometimes at all.

And that mid-credits scene made me swear in shock very very loudly.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tell you what, I've seriously enjoyed the villain stories from the last three movies. They're not other-worldly beings raining down hellfire from the sky. They're just folks with grudges and motivations you can get behind without agreeing with them.

@Bill Casey have you seen Captain Marvel yet? If so, where would you put it in the order we have here? Disregard the post-credits scene.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    @Bill Casey have you seen Captain Marvel yet? If so, where would you put it in the order we have here? Disregard the post-credits scene.
    This one is probably the hardest one to place, because it's also an origin story for Nick Fury, fleshes out the villains of GOTG Vol 1, gives us more Coulson, features the Tesseract but features a protagonist who doesn't show up until Infinity War...

I'm tempted to place it right after Captain America: The First Avenger and right before The Avengers with GOTG not that far off, just because there's so many relevant elements. Fury, Coulson, The Tesseract, The Kree, Ronan, Korath, The Avengers Initiative...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I have it pegged either before or after Captain America. Gives us more background on the Avengers initiative and Fury's role, and also shows us more about the Tesseract.

I watched GotG2 last night (getting ahead as I'm interstate this weekend - will comment on it later this week) and I think that should be waaaay earlier. Chronologically it supposedly happens before Civil War, and no events have any relevance to the rest of the MCU between it and Infinity War. I'd put it right after Age of Ultron. The intro to GotG suggests the teaming is all still very new and dynamic, and their first scene in IW shows that they've been together for a while now to the point it's everyday boring.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Chronologically it supposedly happens before Civil War
    Stan Lee is in it talking to The Watchers about when he was the Fed Ex guy from Civil War...
    If it wasn't for that part, I would have placed it right after Guardians 1...
    Last edited by Bill Casey; April 3rd, 2019 at 1:18 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    The problem with this is it doesn't remove the scene from the movie...
    Is there anything at all in the actual film itself that sets it before Civil War? Because there's still something in the work that sets it after, and as long as the work itself says it's set after Civil War, I have to go with that above everything else...

US Mail Man...
    Not a Fed Ex Agent...

Last edited by Bill Casey; April 3rd, 2019 at 4:51 AM.