User Tag List

Thread: Sony PlayStation Classic (December 3, 2018)

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

Sony PlayStation Classic (December 3, 2018)

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018...-loaded-games/

$99, 20 games including Tekken 3 and FFVII

if you have the NES/SNES Classics, then you already know what this is about. Price seems high to me for controllers with no analog sticks and only 20 games, which they won’t announce.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I'd assume the price is higher because of the amount of space some of those games take up. FFVII itself is huge, isn't it?

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    Meh, my PS2 works fine and games are literally pennies.

I gave a mint condition copy of FFVII to a friend recently. True story.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you buy the classic games on the PS store on the PS3 or no? 20 games isn't quite enough to pique my interest at $100 if I'm only going to want to play a couple when I'm feeling nostalgic.

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hero! View Post
    https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018...-loaded-games/

$99, 20 games including Tekken 3 and FFVII

if you have the NES/SNES Classics, then you already know what this is about. Price seems high to me for controllers with no analog sticks and only 20 games, which they won’t announce.
    The PS1 didn't have analog sticks to begin with.

The price seems very reasonable. If you can find a PS1 that actually works with 20 games under $99 then go for it. The min Super NES with 20 games is $80. $20 more you get the PS1 with 20 games. I think that makes sense considering we're talking about the Super NES v. Playstation.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    Can you buy the classic games on the PS store on the PS3 or no? 20 games isn't quite enough to pique my interest at $100 if I'm only going to want to play a couple when I'm feeling nostalgic.
    The PS3 store is so limited right now dude. I was on there a couple months ago and they've removed quite a bit. Thankfully I was able to get Resident Evil 3 a few years ago.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it? I haven't even turned on my PS3 in a few months, let alone go onto the store. Bummer.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it? I haven't even turned on my PS3 in a few months, let alone go onto the store. Bummer.
    PS3's been around what, 10 years? I know not too long ago I read online that they were going to start trimming down the PS3 Store, probably to entice people to get a PS4. I play the shit out of Resident Evil 5 on it, and I'm still shocked the servers are still active to play with other people. That game came out in 2009.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    PS3's been around what, 10 years? I know not too long ago I read online that they were going to start trimming down the PS3 Store, probably to entice people to get a PS4. I play the shit out of Resident Evil 5 on it, and I'm still shocked the servers are still active to play with other people. That game came out in 2009.
    Yeah, it's like earlier this year when Nintendo finally shut down the GoldenEye servers. Didn't even realize it was still online until they said they were shutting it down after 7 years. Kind of a bummer because that was a fun game to play online.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, it's like earlier this year when Nintendo finally shut down the GoldenEye servers. Didn't even realize it was still online until they said they were shutting it down after 7 years. Kind of a bummer because that was a fun game to play online.
    The last time I played Goldeneye was on the N64 about 20 years ago. It was one of the few non-wrestling games I ever played.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was fun for the Wii. My ex-wife and I used to play it for hours against each other.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was fun for the Wii. My ex-wife and I used to play it for hours against each other.
    Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, and Turok were probably the only 3 non-wrestling games I owned for N64. All played virtually identical and they all 3 had a paintball mode lol.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm surprised something like Wild Arms made the list.
    The collection needs to include MGS, Castlevania SOTN, Resident Evil, Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2, Gran Turismo, Silent Hill, Tomb Raider, Crash Team Racing, Ridge Racer Type 4, and maybe Final Fantasy IX.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah if it doesn't have Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 or 2 it's bullshit. I'd be happy with Dave Mirra's BMX. Those were great games.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RuneEdge View Post
    I'm surprised something like Wild Arms made the list.
    The collection needs to include MGS, Castlevania SOTN, Resident Evil, Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2, Gran Turismo, Silent Hill, Tomb Raider, Crash Team Racing, Ridge Racer Type 4, and maybe Final Fantasy IX.
    I think you could do without Crash Team Racing, honestly, and only one FF should probably be on there. But even though I never cared for Gran Turismo, I essentially agree about the rest.

Don't think it'd be quintessential, but I'd love to see MediEvil on here.

Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2xtreme

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Surely Wipeout is nailed on to be included.

I’d love Driver, Tenchu 2, Spiderman, Tomb Raider 2 and Colony Wars in amongst the obvious ones. Don’t think Colony Wars is popular enough but it’s a nice space shooter that would offer something different from the rest.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Final Fantasy VII, Jumping Flash, Ridge Racer Type 4, Tekken 3, and Wild Arms have been confirmed thus far.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder what games it'll have
    My guess is at
    - MGS
    - RE & RE2
    - Silent Hill

tag champ
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    2xtreme
    I think I enjoyed that game far more than I should have.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't expect any games that require the analog sticks. I think Metal Gear Solid is one that I heard will not be part of it due to this but I could have read it wrong.

Someone on a page I follow on Instagram said the price was too high and should be market value for what a Playstation goes for................I don't understand the gripe about the cost. At all. If you want to go on eBay and find a used Playstation and used games that may or may not work for $40, go right ahead. But as I learned with the last 4 NES' I bought from garage sales, it's better to buy shit that is either still in the box or one of these new mini's or even the Retro Duo type stuff that I own currently.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ever have any issues with your Retro Duo Nash?

I've thought of buying a few times but I always second myself.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Yeah if it doesn't have Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 or 2 it's bullshit. I'd be happy with Dave Mirra's BMX. Those were great games.
    Apparently they can't have them because of the soundtrack.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho666Soldier View Post
    I think you could do without Crash Team Racing, honestly, and only one FF should probably be on there. But even though I never cared for Gran Turismo, I essentially agree about the rest.

Don't think it'd be quintessential, but I'd love to see MediEvil on here.
    Tactics should make it, no questions asked. It's a completely different game than the numbered FF series not to mention the grandaddy/greatest tactical RPG of all time that plenty of people missed the first time around.

Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    twisted metal 2

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Apparently they can't have them because of the soundtrack.
    Well that sucks.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid_Planet View Post
    Ever have any issues with your Retro Duo Nash?

I've thought of buying a few times but I always second myself.
    It's worth it. I mean, if a game is from 1989 and it doesn't play that's more on the game than the Retro as you'd run into that issue if you had the original console-which those that still work greatly are few and far between obviously. My only real gripe is that you have to buy a cord extender for your controller, which if you go on Amazon you can buy it in like a bundle for an extra 5-10 bucks I think. The cords are mad short, like maybe 2 feet lol.

Hell, I bought one of those Sega Genesis consoles from Toys R Us that has like 50+ games and you can actually play Sega Genesis game cartridges on it so that was a pretty good "investment" so to speak lol.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't expect any games that require the analog sticks. I think Metal Gear Solid is one that I heard will not be part of it due to this but I could have read it wrong.

Someone on a page I follow on Instagram said the price was too high and should be market value for what a Playstation goes for................I don't understand the gripe about the cost. At all. If you want to go on eBay and find a used Playstation and used games that may or may not work for $40, go right ahead. But as I learned with the last 4 NES' I bought from garage sales, it's better to buy shit that is either still in the box or one of these new mini's or even the Retro Duo type stuff that I own currently.
    I might be the only person in the world who was excited to see the controllers are the originals and not the ones with analog sticks. I didn't care for the sticks back in the day.

And yes you can play MGS without the sticks. I always played it with the original controller. I hope it has a diverse selection of games not just a bunch of sequels. I'm a sucker for this type of stuff. Too bad it only comes with 20 games, because PS1 had some amazing amount of greatness. Also depends on the games, 20 and announce 5?

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    The inclusion of analog sticks will make the inevitable version 1.5 release an easy sell.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's worth it. I mean, if a game is from 1989 and it doesn't play that's more on the game than the Retro as you'd run into that issue if you had the original console-which those that still work greatly are few and far between obviously. My only real gripe is that you have to buy a cord extender for your controller, which if you go on Amazon you can buy it in like a bundle for an extra 5-10 bucks I think. The cords are mad short, like maybe 2 feet lol.

Hell, I bought one of those Sega Genesis consoles from Toys R Us that has like 50+ games and you can actually play Sega Genesis game cartridges on it so that was a pretty good "investment" so to speak lol.
    Yea when I saw that the classic Genesis did that it really pissed me off at my SNES classic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder if they'll have Jet Moto on there.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I forgot about those. I really hope there's a way. Jet Moto 2 is especially great since it includes all of the tracks from 1. These two games were a huge part of my childhood! I want to see RE3 on it. If they include Moto Cross it'll be the best classic console.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid_Planet View Post
    Yea when I saw that the classic Genesis did that it really pissed me off at my SNES classic.
    The big difference is the size between the 2. The classic Genesis is the same exact size as the original. These new classic NES/SNES are about the size of a chinese dick.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The big difference is the size between the 2. The classic Genesis is the same exact size as the original. These new classic NES/SNES are about the size of a chinese dick.
    Those atGames Genesis units have infamously terrible audio quality. They don't do the Genesis justice. Then again no third party yet has.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Kasady View Post
    Those atGames Genesis units have infamously terrible audio quality. They don't do the Genesis justice. Then again no third party yet has.
    I'm not that anal about it when I can just go on Youtube for example. The way I see it, 10 year old me didn't give a shit and 36 year old me can't remember 26 years ago what that BGM truly sounded like. Plus I never had a good tv until my late 20's so I'm sure the audio quality was already mediocre lol.

I actually would rather play these systems on an old t.v. to be honest, soak up that nostalgic feel 100%.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not that anal about it when I can just go on Youtube for example. The way I see it, 10 year old me didn't give a shit and 36 year old me can't remember 26 years ago what that BGM truly sounded like. Plus I never had a good tv until my late 20's so I'm sure the audio quality was already mediocre lol.

I actually would rather play these systems on an old t.v. to be honest, soak up that nostalgic feel 100%.
    The best one to get is the 6 in 1 Plug 'n' Play system with the blue controller which is really well built. The sound is a bit tinny, but it's not distorted in pitch or anything so it just sounds like it's coming through crap speakers - kinda like watching a recorded version of the old Sonic adverts which makes it kind of retro-y.

The downside is you can't plug in carts, but the games on it are good enough to get enjoyment out of them.

Seriously the only thing you can do is buy a Genesis. They're not that expensive. There's some complete with a few games for around $40 on eBay.

Avoid anything that says AtGames like the plague.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The best one to get is the 6 in 1 Plug 'n' Play system with the blue controller which is really well built. The sound is a bit tinny, but it's not distorted in pitch or anything so it just sounds like it's coming through crap speakers - kinda like watching a recorded version of the old Sonic adverts which makes it kind of retro-y.

The downside is you can't plug in carts, but the games on it are good enough to get enjoyment out of them.

Seriously the only thing you can do is buy a Genesis. They're not that expensive. There's some complete with a few games for around $40 on eBay.

Avoid anything that says AtGames like the plague.
    True but then you run into the issue that we're talking about a 30 year old gaming system. It's not like you can keep those things up to date and change in new parts like a car so to speak. How do old Sega's hold up? NES is just not built for 30-40 years of quality life lol. So I dig like what I have the RetroDuo which plays NES and Super NES carts and then that Sega Genesis you can get at Target, Best Buy etc. Sound quality yeah I feel ya but again, I couldn't tell you the difference without putting the OG and the new versions side by side in their prime.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True but then you run into the issue that we're talking about a 30 year old gaming system. It's not like you can keep those things up to date and change in new parts like a car so to speak. How do old Sega's hold up? NES is just not built for 30-40 years of quality life lol. So I dig like what I have the RetroDuo which plays NES and Super NES carts and then that Sega Genesis you can get at Target, Best Buy etc. Sound quality yeah I feel ya but again, I couldn't tell you the difference without putting the OG and the new versions side by side in their prime.
    I saw a Retroduo at Goodwill a few weeks ago for $4.99, but it felt like cheap garbage.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw a Retroduo at Goodwill a few weeks ago for $4.99, but it felt like cheap garbage.
    4.99? That's insane. I'm not even sure they realize the value of it. Or it didn't work.

Let me just say this. I've had mine for 2 years and realistically not every game will play that's just the reality of a 30-40 year old cartridge I don't give a shit how good the condition is of your NES/Super NES. But yeah it's worth it to me.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The final list of games. WTF is Jumping Flash?

Simon
    Destruction Derby over Destruction Derby 2 is a mad decision. The sequel is sensational, the original is pretty average IIRC.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was all ready to moan over the inclusion of Tomb Raider over Tomb Raider 2, but I'm shocked to find that neither has been selected.

Some odd choices here. There's not enough of the truly classic games to justify a purchase. 20 games was always going to be too few, but I can't believe the likes of WipeOut and Driver have been overlooked. Even games like Parappa are more deserving of a shout than some of the games they've gone for. Really disappointing.

RFF WORLDWIDE WESTERN CON son_of_foley's Avatar
    Letting the POTTY go to his head since Jan 2010
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wonder if they'll have a store to buy more. The fact it says preloaded for some reason made me think there's the option for more

Simon
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I was all ready to moan over the inclusion of Tomb Raider over Tomb Raider 2, but I'm shocked to find that neither has been selected.

Some odd choices here. There's not enough of the truly classic games to justify a purchase. 20 games was always going to be too few, but I can't believe the likes of WipeOut and Driver have been overlooked. Even games like Parappa are more deserving of a shout than some of the games they've gone for. Really disappointing.
    Wipeout looked dog shit at the time let alone now, they probably left it out in case it made everyone blind.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wipeout didn't really look worse than anything else from that era.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I thought it was considered decent enough for its time - it'll look terrible today as will many of these games.

If they don't have a downloadable feature, then it's yet another example of Sony missing the boat on backwards compatibility. Preloaded is a strange choice of word as it gives the impression that it won't be the only games you can play. But I don't see much talk of this feature and if it is going to be included, why not announce it at the outset - it would create more excitement and offset any disappointment regarding the preloaded line-up.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They have their subscription service for older games don't they but not sure if it's popular

Simon
    Wipeout didn't really look worse than anything else from that era.
    Ah I dont agree at all, it felt like that generation's Starfox - desperate to show off the technical capabilities of the console but using them to a basic level that looked miles worse than the games that were technically less impressive but were nice and polished.

I dont feel like I've explained that very well but it looked rubbish.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think you understood what I said. Not saying it looked great or anything. My point is tt was an early launch title and most games from that time looked just as bad. The 3d models from Final Fantasy VII looks like shit too, especially compared to what they looked like in FF8 and then FF9.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    australia
    Those ATGames Genesis consoles are garbage mate.

The audio is pants and pretty sure until the most recent release (around a year ago) they didn't even have save states.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want a new Genesis console, you're better off getting this thing:

https://www.analogue.co/mega-sg/

Doesn't have built in games, but takes all the original carts and plays them in perfect HD resolutions.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    australia
    Sexy AF.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Ok nvm. Meh list of games.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    australia
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hammer View Post
    Ok nvm. Meh list of games.
    Yeah agreed - No crash bandicoot as an included game is a bit shit.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Nor SOTN or FF Tactics. This thing sucks, let's stop talking about it.

you either die a hero... Morrison's Avatar
    or live long enough to see yourself become a dumdum.
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Version 6 View Post
    Yeah agreed - No crash bandicoot as an included game is a bit shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hammer View Post
    Nor SOTN or FF Tactics. This thing sucks, let's stop talking about it.
    not surprised. the crash games arent there given the hd collection they just released and castlevania requiem just came out with SOTN and rondo of blood which is ps4 exclusive.

Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

its a platformer that released about two months after the ps1 hit the market, at least in north america. i had the sequel and remember enjoying it.

Defiance is a four letter
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys are crazy, that's a cracking list of games.

A really good mix of era and genre defining games and overlooked classics.

Simon
    I don't think you understood what I said. Not saying it looked great or anything. My point is tt was an early launch title and most games from that time looked just as bad. The 3d models from Final Fantasy VII looks like shit too, especially compared to what they looked like in FF8 and then FF9.
    Maybe I'm misremembering - I had a look at Wipeout images and it didn't look quite as bad as I remembered. I never liked the game anyway so I'm probably biased, much preferred the F1 game that was around at the time (plus of course DD2, which was fantastic...I can't emphasise enough how mental it is that they went with the original rather than the sequel).

Simon
    Quote Originally Posted by JP View Post
    You guys are crazy, that's a cracking list of games.

A really good mix of era and genre defining games and overlooked classics.
    I don't think it's a bad list of games, it just could have been so much better. But presumably that is the point - release a good selection up front along with a load of padding rubbish, but keep plenty of classics back to sell at a later date.

As far as I can see, the best-selling game they've included is Rayman, which is only the 17th best selling PS1 game of all time...no Gran Turismo, no Crash Bandicoot, no Final Fantasy VII, no Metal Gear Solid, no Tomb Raider, no Tony Hawk. I would argue only Resident Evil, Grand Theft Auto and maybe Oddworld (which was more of a cult thing) are 'classic' PS1 games of the ones they've packaged.

Side note: the original Grand Theft Auto isn't even in the top 100 best-selling PS1 games

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    I don't think it's a bad list of games, it just could have been so much better. But presumably that is the point - release a good selection up front along with a load of padding rubbish, but keep plenty of classics back to sell at a later date.

As far as I can see, the best-selling game they've included is Rayman, which is only the 17th best selling PS1 game of all time...no Gran Turismo, no Crash Bandicoot, no Final Fantasy VII, no Metal Gear Solid, no Tomb Raider, no Tony Hawk. I would argue only Resident Evil, Grand Theft Auto and maybe Oddworld (which was more of a cult thing) are 'classic' PS1 games of the ones they've packaged.

Side note: the original Grand Theft Auto isn't even in the top 100 best-selling PS1 games

Simon, check the list of included games again.

Donde esta la biblioteca Pablo Diablo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    He definitely missed the pictures. I did the first time too

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GTA is one of the pictures.

Simon
    Oops - I thought I'd edited GTA out of the thing as I knew that was in, but yeah the other ones I just missed cos they weren't on the written list. Still a lot of big games missing though - Tomb Raider in particular is mad, that was THE PS1 game wasn't it?

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not really, was on everything available at the time. I bought it for the Saturn, which is actually the superior version. Sega fanboy what?

- - - Updated - - -

Shit the bed, now that is something I would buy in a heartbeat, a classic Saturn. There's so many classic forgotten games for that system.

Simon
    Saturn fuck sake, grow up.

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Burning Rangers
    Panzer Dragoon 1, 2 and Saga
    Nights
    Shining Force 3
    Shining of the Holy Ark
    Guardian Heroes
    Dragon Force
    Virtua Fighter 1 and 2
    Fighting Vipers
    Fighters Megamix
    Sega Rally
    Mystaria
    Golden Axe: The Duel
    Die Hard Arcade
    Dark Saviour

All Saturn exclusives, most never released again. This needs to happen.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Die Hard Trilogy was a jam and a half on the ps. YES PLEASE

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by son_of_foley View Post
    Die Hard Trilogy was a jam and a half on the ps. YES PLEASE
    That were bloody great too.

Simon
    Oh man Die Hard Trilogy was amazing. I loved the second one, the fixed-position FPS one that was a bit like Time Crisis.

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The third was the best, Crazy Taxi before Crazy Taxi was a thing.

Simon
    I'm so fucking angry that they didn't put Destruction Derby 2 in, idiots.

WWF Champion
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't really grumble, Abe's Oddysee, GTA, Metal Gear Solid and Tekken 3 are some of my favourite games of all time. FF VII is obviously class as well but it's not really my cup of tea. Most of the other games look absolute shite though.

Missed Resident Evil. That's also good.
    Last edited by wardy; October 30th, 2018 at 12:52 PM.

Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

final fantasy vii and metal gear solid are both included.

edit: didnt realize there was another page. ignore the redundancy.

Simon
    As established about ten minutes after I posted it!

I would have rinsed the absolute fuck out of this machine before I had a kid, now I simply don't have the time. Someone find me one of those hacked PSP things that has FF7 on it, every one I see that is dirt cheap is disconcertingly vague about what games are on it, usually they say 10,000 games but no mention of what ones.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel they should've had some form of connection to PSN so people could buy and download games. I don't know why they're always obsessed with 20 games on these consoles, give us 50 games or at least a way to pay to download games. Sure, people might remember games like Cool Boarders 2, Destruction Derby, Rainbow Six, and Rayman, but where's Gran Turismo or RE2?

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did anyone actually like Battle Arena Toshinden? I remember only being interested because I saw the anime first and I liked the girl with the big tits.

Honestly, it's not a bad collection, but just kind of an...odd selection. My guess is they tried to focus on games that haven't been re-released and remastered plenty of times over the last decade. It makes perfect sense that there's no Crash or SOTN. Tony Hawk was never gonna happen for licensing reasons. No Tomb Raider is pretty baffling, though. I also have no clue what Mr. Driller is, but my gut reaction is it easily could have been replaced by something more iconic. Where the fuck is Tenchu?

Otherwise, there's a case of personal taste, too. I always hated Cool Boarders(1080 Snowboarding was superior) or Rainbow Six, and never played the Destruction Derby games. I'm kind of middling on Syphon Filter. Bold move including the first Persona, though.

Also, I loved Intelligent Qube, so I'm glad that made the cut.

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mr Driller's a cracking little puzzle game. Interesting pick, given it was multiplatform and near the end of the PSX life.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Surely you can't talk about not wanting to put re-released games on there when FF7 is there. Games like Gran Turismo, Spyro, Crash, Tomb Raider are synonymous with the Playstation brand, especially the first PSX. So I was surprised those didn't make the cut. Those to me shouldn't even be debatable.

Simon
    It's surely just a case of holding stuff back for individual sale. I mean if they included everything mentioned, no cunt would ever have a reason to spend money beyond the initial outlay.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Surely you can't talk about not wanting to put re-released games on there when FF7 is there. Games like Gran Turismo, Spyro, Crash, Tomb Raider are synonymous with the Playstation brand, especially the first PSX. So I was surprised those didn't make the cut. Those to me shouldn't even be debatable.
    Yeah, but Spyro and Crash have/will have recent re-releases, as opposed to, say, FF7, MGS and Oddworld where any proper re-releases have been at least 5+ years now. In fact, FF7's only real re-release was the updated PC version, because I'm not counting anything that was available as a PSN port. Also not counting the current remake of FFVII that is still in development. I'm just saying it would explain a mentality in why a good chunk of classics aren't on there.

IF it's not a matter of saving them for downloadable purchases.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess none of this will matter if people figure out how to hack and install their own games to it, like the NES and SNES mini.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not a bad list, but it feels like a lot is missing. The few games that are great on this list are already in my physical collection. I feel the same way about the mini N64. Stuff with a remake or some kind of collection this gen are automatic exclusions. Things from studios that have gone through corporate overhauls are complicated. There's a chance that some stuff was held back on, due to total space? Trying to get away with 4GB total or something. We'll have to see what the capacity is. It's not awful just underwhelming, I guess. For $100 you'd figure they'd make sure to get the heavy hitters on there. I don't know if there's anything on there to entice the casual market. Maybe a digital store + SD would be a good addition to this device.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Beast From Belarus Hlebsfall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nepal
    I guess none of this will matter if people figure out how to hack and install their own games to it, like the NES and SNES mini.
    They should be able to, it's not even running custom software it's literally just using a pre-existing open source emulator. You could buy a raspberry pi and achive the same thing and play whatever games you wanted.

Simon
    Link me to a cheap one Hlebsfall you dirty old bollocks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nepal
    Buy a raspberry pi for about 35 quid, I think you can even get them on Amazon now, and then follow these instructions

https://lifehacker.com/how-to-turn-y...sole-498561192

All you then need to do them is download the game ROMs from piratebay or wherever. They have the entire SNES and Mega Drive libraries in a single file which is only something like 1gb.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nepal
    And if you're too lazy to do that, there are people selling prebuilt retropie SD cards on eBay with the games and software on them, all you then do is stick that in the raspberry pi.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't get a preloaded SD card. They're a waste of money. There are greedy people out there which sell images to make a buck.

Simon
    Just had a look - what I am looking for is a portable one, that's not what the Pi is from what I can see?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nepal
    Well if you want to play PS1 games on the go get a hacked Vita and play them on that.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just had a look - what I am looking for is a portable one, that's not what the Pi is from what I can see?
    There are portable ones out there but they cost quite a bit. They're basically custom made handheld devices that people have made using the Pi, a screen, buttons, battery pack, etc, then built a shell to house all of it.
    For the price, your best bet is to buy a hacked PS Vita that runs all your emulators. Only draw back is that you cant output the PS Vita to a TV (not easily at least).

Best option that can do everything is the GPD XD+

Small handheld device that has the same size and design as the Nintendo 3DS XL, it runs Android as its OS (meaning you can go to the play store and download all your emulators with ease), and it has a mini HDMI out port at the back so it could be hooked up to a TV. If you want to get real crazy, you can plug a USB hub into the device, then plug in multiple USB controllers and do multiplayer on your TV too.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Reviews are killing this thing. Oooof.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hero! View Post
    Reviews are killing this thing. Oooof.
    How did Sony manage to fuck this up?

One fucking save state? The games list makes little sense. Even the menu looks boring and blah.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    This shitbox is down to $40 on amazon prime

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's arguably worth it for the two controllers alone, if you need them. Plus the console itself has been hacked, so you can add all the games you want to it now (and I think RetroArch is running on it too).
    It was always just a fancy emulation box at the end of the day, so it was never going to be the all in one best value for money device of this kind. But at this price point, if you dont care enough to tinker around with Raspberry Pis and that sort of thing, this Playstation Classic is pretty decent now.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Imma wait for another price drop down to at least $30 before snagging it.