Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mae Young Classic II

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Io was fire. That moonsault, DAAAAAMN.

Good show overall. While I'm sad that Allysin Kay is already out I am really excited for these 16.

Mentioned
    366 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Real good final few matches.

Evers vs. Matsumoto was a nice, hard hitting, intense match. Matsumoto reminds me a lot of Asuka with a little less martial arts style. Not a bad thing.

Eleban vs. Conti was decent. Eleban has a lot of personality, reminds me a bit of AJ Lee before the 'crazy' aspect became central, and Conti plays a good heel (though she needs to stop sticking her tongue out so much).

I really like Isla Dawn. Good looking, interesting persona, solid in the ring, I dig her. Matthews was good but shame she was having trouble keeping her pants up, found it a bit distracting she was fixing them all the time. Solid match, though.

Brookside is super cute. Really like her vibe. Surprised this match was as brief as it was but it was quite good while it lasted. That moonsault, Jesus, knees to the chest WHAMMO. Oof.

I am super hyped for some of the second round matches, holy shit there is potential for some awesome stuff.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    Brookside, Matsumoto, Evers, Conti, Dawn, Io, Hernandez, Storm, Ripley and I've always had a soft spot for Kaitlyn. Loving this so far. Commentary is too gushy, but it's still better than the main roster. Not hard, I know and not really a compliment at all.

Jinny, like her too. But, and I'm no expert on the matter, she looks like she may have some kind of eating disorder. There's nothing of her and she's pale as. Then again, with the paleness, she is British, so. And she performs fine, so probably more that she's just naturally that way.

Really looking forward to the 2nd round.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Brookside, Matsumoto, Evers, Conti, Dawn, Io, Hernandez, Storm, Ripley and I've always had a soft spot for Kaitlyn. Loving this so far. Commentary is too gushy, but it's still better than the main roster. Not hard, I know and not really a compliment at all.

Jinny, like her too. But, and I'm no expert on the matter, she looks like she may have some kind of eating disorder. There's nothing of her and she's pale as. Then again, with the paleness, she is British, so. And she performs fine, so probably more that she's just naturally that way.

Really looking forward to the 2nd round.
    Jinny is the former fashion model so I assume the fact that the #1 requirement is to look like you're dying of some horrendous disease is just her way of life.

Champion of the Sun
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    Jinny is the former fashion model so I assume the fact that the #1 requirement is to look like you're dying of some horrendous disease is just her way of life.
    Even though she is awfully skinny, that didn't stop her from bumping her tail off. In one match, I was sold on Jinny. I think she has tons of potential.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    It’s the gaunt face that made me especially think it. Probably nothing though.

We haven’t become anything — we simply are as we are
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    usa
    Getting caught up now. Evers looked like a star against Matsumoto. That's my match of the tournament so far, still got the rest of the episode to go.

Mentioned
    366 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh my god tonight's line up has me HYPED:

⚫ Mercedes Martinez vs. Meiko Satomura
    ⚫ Lacey Lane vs. Taynara Conti
    ⚫ Toni Storm vs. Hiroyo Matsumoto
    ⚫ Rhea Ripley vs. Kacy Catanzaro

We haven’t become anything — we simply are as we are
    Mentioned
    333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    usa
    Satomura/Martinez was outstanding.

Kacy has a lot of potential.

Toni Storm has my heart. That match was lovely stuff too.

Ripley will be a star as well.

Mentioned
    366 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Storm/Matsumoto was a good hard hitting match.

Kacy has shitloads of potential. I really liked how he fumble on the ropes actually fit the story and how she didn't get shit on for it but actually got a big pop for her second attempt. Rhea is badass, love her.

Lane and Conti both seem like they have a lot of potential, as well. not much to the match but I dig the Cinderella story going with Lane, i suspect she might beat Satomura next round as a big jaw-dropper upset.

Speaking of Satomura, the match with Martinez was fucking terrific. Just two badass veterans going to war. Loved it. Never seen that scorpion kick outside of Fire Pro so it was dope she used it.
    Last edited by mth; October 4th, 2018 at 12:06 AM.

them bones,them bones
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For two very inexperienced wrestlers they both handled the rope fumble well. It got the crowd more into it if anything

The mainevent was great.

The Thinking Man's Idiot Simmo Fortyone's Avatar
    Andre giant once eat kid hot dog at arena. He then laugh. I never forgive that fat motherfucker for that
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All very good matches today

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did think that was dope how the crowd got behind Kacy like they really really wanted her to pull that shit off.

Mentioned
    222 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I echo all of of this. That was hands down the best episode so far, and possibly the best overall episode of both years. Two outstanding matches, and two that were good to really good between relatively inexperienced wrestlers. Kacy looked amazing, and the couple times she slipped up a bit, both her and Rhea handled it well and properly built up a second attempt that got the crowd pumped. I love the way Kacy comes out all sweet and humbled, but once she got deep into the match, she started showing some legit frustration with Rhea. Also, Rhea's kind of reminding me of a female Pete Dunne.

I see a lot in Lane and Conti and bright futures for both, and while the match didn't stand out(or last as long) as the rest, I still found myself impressed with what we saw.

And the opener and main event were great. The main event, I think ,went that extra mile that made it feel truly classic, but Storm and Matsumoto were beating the shit out of each other and told a great story.

If it only gets better from here, this could end up topping the CWC.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho666Soldier View Post
    Also, Rhea's kind of reminding me of a female Pete Dunne.
    This. She's really got the facial expressions down in this regard.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2 women I am somewhat shocked have not been part of this were MsChif and Cheerleader Melissa. Madison Eagles is another name. Maybe they were asked and turned it down. I also get that the MYC isn't some female Super 8 tournament with all the top indie women but those 3 would have been cool to see. Especially Eagles, I don't think she's even worked for TNA before so seeing her in this would have been nice.

Mentioned
    366 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tonight's matches:

* Kaitlyn vs. Mia Yim
    * Io Shirai vs. Zeuxis
    * Deonna Purrazzo vs. Xia Li
    * Tegan Nox vs. Nicole Matthews

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There wasn't a bad match last night. I really enjoyed Xia Li v. Purrazzo and Shirai v. Zeuxis.

Mentioned
    366 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damn I feel bad for Nicole Matthews. Her first match she was fighting her pants as much as she was her opponent. Last night she comes out in a one-piece and i think, "Yes, she solved the problem!" but then she was to be wrestling with her top more than with Nox and damn near lost her tits multiple times. Actually felt like they might've shortened the match for her sake.
    Also, I'm starting to wonder if (spoiler for next round):

Xia Li is fucking badass and really impressive given her limited experience. Her match with Dionna was my match of the night.

Shairi's matches haven't set my world on fire yet. They're fine but seem a bit standard to me. Her moonsault keeps being a bit off, too.

Yim vs. Kaitlyn was very good. Kaitlyn seems to have improved from her previous run. Yim is great and I was really glad to hear she's signed.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mth View Post
    Damn I feel bad for Nicole Matthews. Her first match she was fighting her pants as much as she was her opponent. Last night she comes out in a one-piece and i think, "Yes, she solved the problem!" but then she was to be wrestling with her top more than with Nox and damn near lost her tits multiple times. Actually felt like they might've shortened the match for her sake.
    Also, I'm starting to wonder if (spoiler for next round):

Xia Li is fucking badass and really impressive given her limited experience. Her match with Dionna was my match of the night.

Shairi's matches haven't set my world on fire yet. They're fine but seem a bit standard to me. Her moonsault keeps being a bit off, too.

Yim vs. Kaitlyn was very good. Kaitlyn seems to have improved from her previous run. Yim is great and I was really glad to hear she's signed.
    With Shirai we just have to take into consideration her first match was a straight up squash. This match we got to see a lot more out of her. You are right about the moonsault. It's already a hard move to pull off and land perfectly each time but yeah, she killed homegirl last week and this week she went too far lol. It might be wise to just say fuck it and give her a different finisher.

Champion of the Sun
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    With Shirai we just have to take into consideration her first match was a straight up squash. This match we got to see a lot more out of her. You are right about the moonsault. It's already a hard move to pull off and land perfectly each time but yeah, she killed homegirl last week and this week she went too far lol. It might be wise to just say fuck it and give her a different finisher.
    But it is such a beautiful moonsault

The ladies have been killing it. Kaitlyn looks so much better than her previous run, they've signed Mia (finally), and Rhea (and Kacy) are some breakout stars to me. What a great tournament!

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BuffyRocks View Post
    But it is such a beautiful moonsault

The ladies have been killing it. Kaitlyn looks so much better than her previous run, they've signed Mia (finally), and Rhea (and Kacy) are some breakout stars to me. What a great tournament!
    My son is way more fluent with Io Shirai than me and he said that she generally nails the moonsault with ease.

Kacy imo is going to be a huge star if she wants to be and if her body can hold up. We tend to forget that aspect, sometimes people from other forms of entertainment look at this as a "challenge". It is so much more than that. So if she can work with the system (already hearing her say she's never going to be a heel....) and she doesn't get hurt or anything, sky is the limit. Imagine her in a ladder match. Good God!

Mentioned
    366 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Io's third moonsault of the tourny was still off to the point that Cole had to address it on commentary. Outside of that, best match from her so far and I'm digging her more the more I see. Deonna's gimmick/character's a little bland for me but she's really good in the ring.

Lacey Lane seems like a future star. Remind me a lot of Ember Moon with her look/gear and style so my only concern is distinguishing herself more if they get closer together down the line. Meiko is queen badass and I'd love to see her stick around and throw down with just about anyone, she's riveting to watch.

Bit unsure of the Nox injury whether it's legit or a work. Mentioned it in my previous post under the tags. Leaning towards work. if it's legit, lots of pieces in place for it to fit perfectly into a return angle all ready to go. Was disappointed I didn't get to see much out of Ripley this week as she's my jam.

Main event was top notch but I did expect it to maybe be a notch better, maybe a little longer, something like that. Still real good. I suspect Storm's taking the whole thing. Real glad Mia got signed 'cuz she's super dope.

Next week's matches are going to kill.

Football manager? Peter Griffin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    If it is a 'work' that video of her breaking down in tears and telling HHH sorry was the finest acting I have ever seen.

you either die a hero... Morrison's Avatar
    or live long enough to see yourself become a dumdum.
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
    If it is a 'work' that video of her breaking down in tears and telling HHH sorry was the finest acting I have ever seen.
    and the picture of her knee post-surgery is wonderful practical make up effects.

she has said what all her injuries were: dislocated knee cap that reset itself immediately, torn mcl, lcl and acl plus both meniscus, a bone contusion and a fracture to her tibia. that's an insane amount of shit to throw out there for a worked injury and i imagine even the most miraculous recovery and rehab time is going to be quite awhile. not sure why you would take a performer out of action for that long for nothing.

also espn wrote a piece back in august when it happened. not sure how they'd feel about getting fed bogus info for a storyline.
    Last edited by Morrison; October 18th, 2018 at 9:37 PM.

Mentioned
    366 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wasn't aware of all that. Wow, it's fucking horrible and the just about the shittiest hand to be dealt by life considering her previous experience with the MYC.
    Last edited by mth; October 18th, 2018 at 10:44 PM.

Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course Nox's injury is real! You dont stop a match after like 5 seconds if its a work. I must admit it was very well handled though.

She will be fine, Nox is good enough of a worker to get past this problem, she really should stop her high flying stuff though and go more ground based as she obviously has some issues. She is good enough to do that.

As for Shirai's moonsault being off it may have to do with the size of a WWE ring and she is just not getting it right. Personally I would jib the move off for now and use something else. It's not really effecting anything though.

Have loved this tournament so far. Xia Li was my favourite, she gets it and I hope they do something with her. Really looking forward to the semis. Two great matches there. I really, really, really want the all Japanese final but I doubt that will be happening.

One downside has been the commentary. It has slowly grated on me. My main gripe is Cole saying everyone is a favourite or an underdog, like every single match. More often than not it totally ruins the outcome of the match as he telegraphs who is winning. Not a fan of whichever woman (I think its Renee but they both sound the same) going "ooooh" "aaaah" on every move either. As stupid as it sounds its like they are talking too much at times.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds like Renee is doing those reactions, but I don't know for sure. Either way, it is grating.

Nox was such a trooper, trying to finish that match despite the injury. I do think Ripley did a great job staying in character, listening to the support group in or around the ring, and just showing a nice level of perceptiveness for someone her age.
    Last edited by BGMaverick; October 19th, 2018 at 11:27 AM.

Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed Ripley did great. It would have been so easy for her to break character but she carried on whilst still keeping everything safe.

I really like her, she has tons of potential.

Simon
    That Nox footage is horrible, felt so bad for her...ironically her inability to do the accepted thing and 'man up' (not a criticis, her fucking knee exploded and it's insane that wrestlers are expected to just grit their teeth and cause long term damage) is probably going to work in her favour as people are going to be so behind her when she returns. Sadly it's difficult to imagine this won't happen again, anyone who follows football knows that an ACL is about as bad an injury as you can get in terms of long term damage.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    That Nox footage is horrible, felt so bad for her...ironically her inability to do the accepted thing and 'man up' (not a criticis, her fucking knee exploded and it's insane that wrestlers are expected to just grit their teeth and cause long term damage) is probably going to work in her favour as people are going to be so behind her when she returns. Sadly it's difficult to imagine this won't happen again, anyone who follows football knows that an ACL is about as bad an injury as you can get in terms of long term damage.
    Yeah, but you can clearly come back from an ACL surgery. She had the ACL injury to her right knee, and she came back this year. It's just a matter of how well you can recover after. In football, you see Deshaun Watson playing football after having ACL surgery to both knees. It's a case-by-case situation but I imagine she'll be able to come back but it's a matter of how long it will take and if she's able to hold up after.

I was incredibly impressed with how she wanted to tough it out and try to finish the match.

Simon
    Oh yeah she can definitely come back, but it will not be a surprise at all if she has similar problems further down the line. I hope not though cos she's great.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was just reading up on her. She's had knee issues going back to when she was 13 years old. And she's only 23.

Mentioned
    336 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure if this is all down to Shirai or just bad in-ring positioning by her opponents lying there but I'm begging her to hit that moonsault correctly one time!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had heard the spoilers about Nox's injury, so I knew it was coming. Still, wow, that was hard to watch. Was literally sitting with tears in my eyes in front of my computer.

Mentioned
    336 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just caught that. Ooof! Real sad to happen to anyone. Hope she pulls through soon.

Mentioned
    366 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    I'm not sure if this is all down to Shirai or just bad in-ring positioning by her opponents lying there but I'm begging her to hit that moonsault correctly one time!
    MMH mentioned it might be adjusting to a different sized ring. Not sure how WWE's ring dimension compare to Japanese rings?

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    The WWE ring is bigger than anywhere else, I believe.

I was gutted watching the Nox match. I was heartbroken for her.

I am really looking forward to the semi finals though.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if the steel ramp had any part in Nox's injury, but ever since Balor debuted on NXT I've been saying they need to move that sucker back a good distance. Too many people are landing on it and bruising the frick out of their legs or back.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two great semifinal matches. All four women looked fantastic. Storm and Satomura was the better of the two for me. Ripley still showed that she's got great potential. Io's moonsault still looks clunky. I'll be interested to see if Storm and Shirai can deliver a better match than the Storm/Satomura semis match. Either way, they should show out well for Evolution. Wouldn't be surprised with either woman winning Sunday.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Toni Storm sure has fought a lot of Asian wrestlers in her MYC career. Lost last year to Sane, and this year she fought Mia Yim, Matsumoto, Satomura, and now Io Shirai. All in a row. Crazy how things work out sometimes.

Mentioned
    366 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last two matches were both pretty damn good. Personally more of a fan of the two losers than the two winners but that's just tastes, Storm and Shairi are both very good and will likely have a hell of a match at Evolution. I suspect Storm's winning the final.

Mentioned
    336 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just caught up with it. Shirai's moonsault was better this time.

Shirai to win this thing in my book. Sure Storm will get called up to NXT for good soon too.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Meltzer confirmed (which sucks to hear) Tegan Nox was, in fact, slated to win the tournament this year. She was supposed to beat Storm in the Finals.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't keep up with the tournament, but I read about Shirai's issues sticking her moonsaults. Thanks to Botchamania, I saw a montage of them, and couldn't believe it. She's so experienced, I wonder what the problem was.

Mentioned
    366 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasori View Post
    I didn't keep up with the tournament, but I read about Shirai's issues sticking her moonsaults. Thanks to Botchamania, I saw a montage of them, and couldn't believe it. She's so experienced, I wonder what the problem was.
    Different ring size was discussed earlier in the thread.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mth View Post
    Different ring size was discussed earlier in the thread.
    I wondered if that could have had something to do with it.