User Tag List

Thread: Rajah suggests...

World Champion
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rajah suggests...

Since the forums have merged, it seems more appropriate to open this up to films, books, movies, podcasts, and everything in between.

I find myself looking for suggestions on tons of things lately, which usually brings me to another forum reading other people's posts. I know lots of people here have great recommendations that sometimes stay hidden. The idea is to use this thread to either request a suggestion for something, or to just simply let everyone know a great album or book you've just discovered.

I'm going to start by requesting a book. I've had trouble getting through fiction novels lately, finding myself get bored or disinterested about half way through. I've recently started in on some non-fiction books, but haven't really settled into any specific theme. Biographies are great, but I wouldn't mind branching away from them a bit. I've enjoyed Augusten Burroughs and chuck Palahniuk in the past so a twisted element is usually welcomed. Some other recent reads I was fond of were: The subtle art of not giving a fuck, Killers of the flower moon, and furiously happy.

What have you got for me?

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Killers of the Flower Moon was legit. Great read.

The Devil in the White City is great. Couldn’t put it down.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heard good things about devil in the white city. Also read a while back that scorcese and dicaprio might do a movie on it

Mentioned
    364 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're looking for non-fiction, anything by Mary Roach (Gulp, Boink!, Stiff, Spook, Packing For Mars, newer one called Grunt that I haven't read) is well worthwhile. Great information injected with a good amount of humor. Not afraid to look at some weird stuff.
    Last edited by mth; March 30th, 2018 at 1:23 PM.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamstar View Post
    Heard good things about devil in the white city. Also read a while back that scorcese and dicaprio might do a movie on it
    Yeah I keep reading that. But they’re also doing Killers of the Flower Moon so it might be a while.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAle View Post
    Killers of the Flower Moon was legit. Great read.

The Devil in the White City is great. Couldn’t put it down.
    Just picked this up. I'll let you know how it goes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mth View Post
    If you're looking for non-fiction, anything by Mary Roach (Gulp, Boink!, Stiff, Spook, Packing For Mars, newer one called Grunt that I haven't read) is well worthwhile. Great information injected with a good amount of humor. Not afraid to look at some weird stuff.
    Couple of those look interesting. I'll check them out.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Watch the TV show Banshee instead.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think I actually got to finish that show. I'm definitely about 3 seasons deep, but I got rid of HBO and can't remember keeping up.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Banshee was on Skinemax and it was tremendous.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those looking for fiction, I strongly recommend the Natchez Burning trilogy by Greg Iles. It took him 7 years to write and it is absolutely Homeric in its scale. It’s roughly 2500 pages but it doesn’t seem it. The final book is one of the most breathtaking pieces of fiction I’ve ever read.

Supposedly Amazon has optioned it to make it a series.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurley View Post
    I'm going to start by requesting a book. I've had trouble getting through fiction novels lately, finding myself get bored or disinterested about half way through. I've recently started in on some non-fiction books, but haven't really settled into any specific theme. Biographies are great, but I wouldn't mind branching away from them a bit. I've enjoyed Augusten Burroughs and chuck Palahniuk in the past so a twisted element is usually welcomed. Some other recent reads I was fond of were: The subtle art of not giving a fuck, Killers of the flower moon, and furiously happy.
    A lot of the Jon Ronson stuff is great. The Psychopath Test was a solid read for starters.

Other ones I've read recently were Mans Search for Meaning, Solitude, The Refusal of Work, and Business Bullshit. Not as 'twisted' as you might like, but interesting kind of "self-help" without ever being explicitly so.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out City of Thieves by David Benioff...

"From the critically acclaimed author of The 25th Hour, a captivating novel about war, courage, survival — and a remarkable friendship that ripples across a lifetime.

During the Nazis’ brutal siege of Leningrad, Lev Beniov is arrested for looting and thrown into the same cell as a handsome deserter named Kolya. Instead of being executed, Lev and Kolya are given a shot at saving their own lives by complying with an outrageous directive: secure a dozen eggs for a powerful Soviet colonel to use in his daughter’s wedding cake. In a city cut off from all supplies and suffering unbelievable deprivation, Lev and Kolya embark on a hunt through the dire lawlessness of Leningrad and behind enemy lines to find the impossible.

By turns insightful and funny, thrilling and terrifying, City of Thieves is a gripping, cinematic World War II adventure and an intimate coming-of-age story with an utterly contemporary feel for how boys become men"

I read this on a whim a few summers ago and thoroughly enjoyed it, it's easily digestible & a quick read. I generally read True Crime, not sure if you're interested in those types of books. If you are, TJ English is a great author to check out. I like books about the Westies & the Mafia, so I have plenty of recommendations if you're interested.

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just heard TJ English on Joe Rogans podcast with Joey Diaz too. Joey lived in the neighborhood his latest book is on...sounds amazing.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Hurley, if you're looking for biographies I've really enjoyed these:

The Other Wes Moore - two kids are born in Baltimore with the same name. They don't know each other but grew up a block or two apart and were less than a year different in age. One became a soldier and a scholar, the other became a lifelong member of the MD penal system. Very good.

The Glass Castle - I picked this up after a few friends told me how good it was. It's good, just a bit depressing. But a very interesting look at how this woman grew up.

Hillbilly Elegy - Fantastic in every sense of the word. Definitely very sad but I couldn't stop reading it. It hit home for me as it reminded me of my family in upstate NY. Even a few friends of mine who read it said it reminded them of my family.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm about 70 pages shy of finishing Devil in the white city. Amazing recommendation. I'll definitely get to the others as well. Cheers.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you liked it! It really would make a fantastic movie. Although I'm embarrassed to admit I didn't realize the carnival ride that guy was working on. I just didn't put two and two together.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I need a podcast. I don't know what would interest me. Suggestions?

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How Did This Get Made? Hilarious.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    No Such Thing as a Fish.

Well worth a listen.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    How Did This Get Made? Hilarious.
    I scanned the episodes of this, but didn't see many films I had seen. I'll give it a go, though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rip View Post
    No Such Thing as a Fish.

Well worth a listen.
    on it