User Tag List

Thread: Card collecting

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Card collecting

Does anyone here collect football, baseball, basketball, hockey, or other sports cards? If so, best card? Favorite card? How long have you been doing it?
    Favorite card for me is a 2017 Aaron Rodgers National Treasure auto numbered to 5, also happens to be my best card.
    Been collecting since I was 12ish, with a couple of extended breaks

The Thinking Man's Idiot Simmo Fortyone's Avatar
    Andre giant once eat kid hot dog at arena. He then laugh. I never forgive that fat motherfucker for that
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I still have my collection of 93/94 NBA Upper Deck cards somewhere.

I don't recall having any rare/valuable ones. Probably about 5 each of your Detlef Schrempf and Mookie Blaylock types.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    Pro Set football cards in the UK was my thing, around 1991/92. God I was obsessed. Never did complete them, but I still have them somewhere. E-bay could help me out if I could be bothered. Would be pretty cool to finally complete them, I suppose.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to collect baseball cards all the time. Fell off sometime around college or shortly there after but I'm slowly getting back into it. Now they're sitting in Rubbermaid tubs in my basement. The entire collection is probably about 15K cards, give or take a few hundred. 95% of them are from the '70-'90s. I spent a little time last year separating them out by team and trying to get a sense of what the collection is worth but I gave up after a while. Did find some good cards, though, that I didn't know I had. A bunch of rookies like Jeter, A-Rod, Pedro Martinez, etc.

I just bought a couple cards down at the card store in town because I wanted to hang a few of them up in my office. I bought a 2017 Noah Syndergaard Topps Blue Foil, a 2017 Donruss David Wright autograph, and a couple other Mets cards.

Favorite cards:
    Signed Keith Hernandez, Brooks Robinson, Duke Snider, and a couple others autos.

Football manager? Peter Griffin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Can I extend this to collecting for sticker albums? I was big into collecting the Merlin Premier league Albums as a kid (94 through to 99 I think) Never completed a book though (Still pisses me off), But yeah the feeling of getting a shiny you needed or the annoyance of Getting about 5 duplicates in a pack of six , Seem to remember this being my fave

Weird how just mentioning this b rings back players I haven't paid mind to in years, Nicky Sumerbee,Ian Brightwell, Barry Vennison and the legend

Maybe I will get next years album

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    Pete, that is the one album I completed! I was missing the Man Utd kit for ages. My mate went to a swap thing and got me it. Still remember it taking me months to actually stick it in though.

God I loved Pro Set and then Merlin stickers. And the Panini World Cup and Euro ones.

I still have that completed '95 Merlin one too.

Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I used to collect back in the day. Nothing real valuable. I have sold of my unopened box sets in recent years from the 90's after seeing they are not really worth anymore than what me and my parents spent on them. I still have a lot of loose stuff but I will probably sell at some garage sale or something cheap to get them off my hands without throwing them out.

Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have complete sets of all the women's Euro and World Cup panini collections that have been released so far.

I am sure this surprises nobody. I am rather pleased with them though.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Wait, Are you :
    A) A woman after all these years of me calling you 'mate' 'dude' and 'bro'
    B) Just really supportive of womens football
    C) A pervert

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only cards I still have are a handful of Chicago Cubs players from the late 80's and probably 2-300 Boston Celtics cards from the late 80's into the early 90's. I was also really into comic book cards. Marvel, DC, Image.

My dad pinned Mr Backlund Kneeneighbor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
    Wait, Are you :
    C) A pervert
    You forgot D) All of the Above

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mozambique
    I collected baseball, basketball and football as a kid. Actually recently found the boxes at my parents house maybe a year or two ago, and started buying a pack or 2 (of football) anytime I would find myself fucking around in Target while my wife was off looking for stuff we (probably didn't actually) need.

Not sure which cards are worth the most or anything, but the cards I had the most of that were my favorite were probably Brett Favre and Ken Griffey Jr.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a hologram double sided card of Michael Jordan and the flipside is Rodman when he was on the Pistons. Probably not worth shit since it's bent up but it's probably my favorite card.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been getting in a lot of case breaks thru a group on Facebook, and I’m on a hell of a hot streak. Had a Deshaun Watson auto, Kareem Hunt auto, and a Patrick Mahomes auto pulled for me in a 2 day span.
    Stuff like that is the reason i still do this!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only buy cards individually and that are PSA graded gem mint 10. I have multiple Kobe Bryant rookies, Shaq's rookie, Steve Nash's rookie and a LeBron James Rookie. I used to also be big time into collecting baseball cards but stopped since after about the late 80's cards took a severe drop in value.

Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
    Wait, Are you :
    C) A pervert
    B...mainly.

I hope you don't ever call me bro or dude!

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    SUP HOMIE

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Droid View Post
    I only buy cards individually and that are PSA graded gem mint 10. I have multiple Kobe Bryant rookies, Shaq's rookie, Steve Nash's rookie and a LeBron James Rookie. I used to also be big time into collecting baseball cards but stopped since after about the late 80's cards took a severe drop in value.
    The value is slowly starting to creep back up. Unfortunately most of my cards are from the late 80s early 99s so those are basically fire starters.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hithit View Post
    The value is slowly starting to creep back up. Unfortunately most of my cards are from the late 80s early 99s so those are basically fire starters.
    Ya companies were flooding the market with to many subsets. Donruss was even banned at one point from making baseball cards because of it if I remember correctly. Your best bet is just pick up the top guys rookie cards and pick them up already graded. Its a good investment. I collect many things but my rookie cards will be in my top 3 most worth things I have collected.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I collect more for the chase than for the person. I’m slowly getting into personally collecting guys instead of cards, but it’s a challenge getting away from the rush of opening boxes.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh I hear that. I used to be the same way. You can still do both tho. Every now and then get a box and every now and then buy a graded card. They all take a while to become worth but just put them up somewhere and every 6 months or so take them out and see what's happening with them financially. Maybe put a few on display on a shelf. As long as you trust all the people you have over lol.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got into a break today and hit a 1200$ Luka Doncic

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Decided to sell my collection because it's just taking up too much space in the basement. Not sure how to go about it, maybe eBay? That would probably be easiest. That, or Craigslist. I spent the last few nights going through them again to see if I had anything I wanted to keep. I pulled out some of the rookie cards just because I like rookie cards. Was hoping to find a Billy Ripken 'fuck face' card but no such luck.

I also am going to try to get some of the 1986 Mets cards autographed through the mail. I have a friend who does this and he has an extensive collection of autographed cards and pictures and magazines, all of which only cost him postage.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    Decided to sell my collection because it's just taking up too much space in the basement. Not sure how to go about it, maybe eBay? That would probably be easiest. That, or Craigslist. I spent the last few nights going through them again to see if I had anything I wanted to keep. I pulled out some of the rookie cards just because I like rookie cards. Was hoping to find a Billy Ripken 'fuck face' card but no such luck.

I also am going to try to get some of the 1986 Mets cards autographed through the mail. I have a friend who does this and he has an extensive collection of autographed cards and pictures and magazines, all of which only cost him postage.
    People don't realize that card collecting is still going strong. How many cards we talking here buddy?

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    People don't realize that card collecting is still going strong. How many cards we talking here buddy?
    Roughly 15,000, most from the 80s-early 2000s. My wife couldn't believe how many there were.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Roughly 15,000, most from the 80s-early 2000s. My wife couldn't believe how many there were.
    DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN

Yeah if I was you.

Bagel
    I was recently thinking of hunting down my sports cards, I know there are a variety of "valuable" ones. Jerry Rice rookie card among them, but nothing in my collection prior to the 80s. I've wanted to clear out what's there and know a few good consignment places that I could deal with just for the sake of getting rid of things but still getting money for them rather than sitting around waiting to be dispersed upon my death whenever that may be.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been sending out some cards to see if I can get them autographed over the past few weeks. Just got my first one back yesterday. Davey Johnson, manager of the '86 Mets. I was like a kid on Christmas I was so excited. I think I've sent out about two dozen so even if I get like half back I'll be happy.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Growing up, I had amassed about 50,000 baseball cards from the 60's through the 80's, including several years complete sets. There were undoubtedly several valuable rookie cards but the later years were more heavily produced so it's not like they were really a big deal. They eventually became more of a chore than a source of enjoyment, as my grown up life involved moving several times.

So, several years ago, my wife convinced me to give the whole pile of them to my nephew for his 10th birthday. My brother in law had about 12-15,000 of them but he stopped collecting, and gave them to my nephew for the prior Christmas. My nephew is high-functioning austistic and he found GREAT joy in them all.

The only collection I have that remains from my childhood is my postage stamp collection - which consists of 22 thick albums in two large boxes. I haven't looked at them for probably 20 years or so, but since my grandfather helped me start that collection when I was very young, I hope to have grandkids one day that I can share it with.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got another one back yesterday....World Series hero Joe Carter. Very excited, I already have it hanging in my office. Only took like 10 days for him to get it back to me so he must have signed it and mailed it back on the same day. Looks great, nice big signature in a blue sharpie.

My dad pinned Mr Backlund Kneeneighbor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I've been sending out some cards to see if I can get them autographed over the past few weeks. Just got my first one back yesterday. Davey Johnson, manager of the '86 Mets. I was like a kid on Christmas I was so excited. I think I've sent out about two dozen so even if I get like half back I'll be happy.
    I once sent a card to Warren Moon in hopes of getting it signed and giving it to my brother for Christmas. 2 years latter I got the card back in the mail with a note saying he didnt sign cards but it included a 5X7 signed.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneeneighbor View Post
    I once sent a card to Warren Moon in hopes of getting it signed and giving it to my brother for Christmas. 2 years latter I got the card back in the mail with a note saying he didnt sign cards but it included a 5X7 signed.
    The website I use to find addresses has a forum. Yesterday somebody got back a signed Mark Texeira card after three years! Even included a little note saying sorry it took him so long to get it back to the sender.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got back two over the weekend: Bobby Valentine and Will Clark. Excited to get both. Bobby V is one of my all-time favorite Mets and Will Clark was my first favorite player when I was growing up.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can die a happy man now. I got back a Peyton Manning signature on a great looking throwback kind of card. Already put it in a frame in my office.

Bagel
    Had to go back a couple pages in this thread. Al, how did you go about finding a place to mail cards to for the players you got autographs from? I've never sent anything out but have met a few NHL players (long retired) who played at celebrity golf touraments. There's some I have in my collection I can think of I'd love to have signed.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagel View Post
    Had to go back a couple pages in this thread. Al, how did you go about finding a place to mail cards to for the players you got autographs from? I've never sent anything out but have met a few NHL players (long retired) who played at celebrity golf touraments. There's some I have in my collection I can think of I'd love to have signed.
    There are two websites I use: fanmail.biz and startiger.com.

Fanmail.biz is free. You can just search for a player and see if their address is on there. Startiger is a pay site but they offer a one week trial for free. What I do is make a list of all the addresses I need, sign up for the free week with an email address I never use again, search for all the addresses I need and copy them down. That’s a great site because each player has their own page and people leave notes about successful returns.

Then I send a simple handwritten request letter and a self addressed stamped envelope to whoever. The letter is basically some form of “I was a huge fan of yours and I’m hoping you could take a moment to sign this card for me please, etc”

It makes it fun to check the mail because sometimes there’s a card being returned signed. Piece of advice: don’t send anything you don’t want to lose.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Totally nerded out today when this came in the mail. One of my all time favorites to ever lace up the boots.
    Last edited by BigAl; January 13th, 2020 at 8:57 AM.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw you were posting about sending cards out in the baseball thread @BigAl, figured we could get the updates in here if you don’t mind sharing.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hithit View Post
    I saw you were posting about sending cards out in the baseball thread @BigAl, figured we could get the updates in here if you don’t mind sharing.
    Gladly! I've done pretty well over the past two weeks. Got signed cards back from Ted DiBiase, Lou Piniella, Andre Dawson, Ryne Sandberg, Ron Guidry, Wade Boggs, Jay Bell (scored the winning run in the 2001 WS Game 7) and four different '69 Miracle Mets.

Some pics:

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice!! Pretty cool guys actually take the time to sign stuff

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good ol’ JR was kind enough to sign a card and send it back to me.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back in high school my friends used to play the Star Wars card game and so I started up on it by default. I don't know how much money I spent collecting those suckers, but I had some pretty good finds going. Had Luke... Vader... Yoda... most of the rare character cards. Then I took a step back and asked myself what the hell I was doing and stopped lol. It was cool having them in my possession, but I knew they would just be worthless pieces of paper when I grew up.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh it’s true, it’s damn true.

Love that he signed it in blue. Looks better than the black a lot of people use.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So how does that work? You just find his address, and send the card with a SASE? Do you include a letter, with a sob story about how you're going through a rough time? Or do you just ask nicely?

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3puppies View Post
    So how does that work? You just find his address, and send the card with a SASE? Do you include a letter, with a sob story about how you're going through a rough time? Or do you just ask nicely?
    Pretty much exactly that. No sob story, usually it’s just a short letter with some sort of personal aspect to it...like a match I remember or something like that. And I politely ask for an autograph. More often then not people will respond. A lot of MLB’ers won’t do it but there’s a few websites dedicated to tracking who does and whom doesn’t.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So if you’re not in the card collecting game right now you’re missing out on such an opportunity to make big money. Not sure if it’s due to the pandemic, but money is flowing thru the hobby right now.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw that a 1/1 Mike Trout autographed rookie card went for $4 million. Damn.

Got a ton of autographed cards back lately: Jeff Hardy, Ron Gant, Tony LaRussa, a Mike Mussina rookie, Bret Saberhagen, Frank Viola, Paul Molitor, Ron SImmons, and Todd Zeile, to name a few.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw that a 1/1 Mike Trout autographed rookie card went for $4 million. Damn.

Got a ton of autographed cards back lately: Jeff Hardy, Ron Gant, Tony LaRussa, a Mike Mussina rookie, Bret Saberhagen, Frank Viola, Paul Molitor, Ron SImmons, and Todd Zeile, to name a few.
    Yea, Vegas Dave bought it for 400k and turned it into 4 million. Not a bad return huh?
    A LeBron rookie just sold for 1.8 million I think. Can’t remember the exact number.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to collect baseball cards all the time. Fell off sometime around college or shortly there after but I'm slowly getting back into it. Now they're sitting in Rubbermaid tubs in my basement. The entire collection is probably about 15K cards, give or take a few hundred. 95% of them are from the '70-'90s. I spent a little time last year separating them out by team and trying to get a sense of what the collection is worth but I gave up after a while. Did find some good cards, though, that I didn't know I had. A bunch of rookies like Jeter, A-Rod, Pedro Martinez, etc.

I just bought a couple cards down at the card store in town because I wanted to hang a few of them up in my office. I bought a 2017 Noah Syndergaard Topps Blue Foil, a 2017 Donruss David Wright autograph, and a couple other Mets cards.

Favorite cards:
    Signed Keith Hernandez, Brooks Robinson, Duke Snider, and a couple others autos.
    Children of the 80s and 90s, right?

I have to have 100,000 baseball cards in my closet still

800 cards per year; every year from 1980 to 1994 (thanks baseball strike!). Multiple sets for most years (some sets in display books; others in boxes). Dozens of factory sealed ones too. God knows how much money my Dad spent on them.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by _me View Post
    Children of the 80s and 90s, right?

I have to have 100,000 baseball cards in my closet still

800 cards per year; every year from 1980 to 1994 (thanks baseball strike!). Multiple sets for most years (some sets in display books; others in boxes). Dozens of factory sealed ones too. God knows how much money my Dad spent on them.
    Some of those 80s and early 90s cards had such a good look to them. Topps had a great run from 86-90.

What do you think you’ll do with them? It’s a huge collection and there’s some value in the factory sealed boxes depending on the year and set but the value of cards overall took a nosedive in the 80s due to mass production. For me it’s just fun to go through them and see what I have. I took the best/my favorites and put them in a display book. If I end up getting an office again I might put some in frames up on the wall. At least I’ve been able to get some autographed.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some of those 80s and early 90s cards had such a good look to them. Topps had a great run from 86-90.

What do you think you’ll do with them? It’s a huge collection and there’s some value in the factory sealed boxes depending on the year and set but the value of cards overall took a nosedive in the 80s due to mass production. For me it’s just fun to go through them and see what I have. I took the best/my favorites and put them in a display book. If I end up getting an office again I might put some in frames up on the wall. At least I’ve been able to get some autographed.
    If I can ever get my home office set up, I would love to display some as well. I have some uncut sheets of cards too that look great in frames. But they are just sitting in a closet. I assume eventually I will sell them but they all have memories of my dad and I so…

Topps 87 was my favorite. That wood border was perfect.

Dad was a genius. He picked out that year as "the year" in 1990. Had rookies for Bonds, McGwire, Maddux, Palmeiro. Seemed like a great investment. Got 20 factory sets of them.

Then steroids hit…

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by _me View Post
    If I can ever get my home office set up, I would love to display some as well. I have some uncut sheets of cards too that look great in frames. But they are just sitting in a closet. I assume eventually I will sell them but they all have memories of my dad and I so…

Topps 87 was my favorite. That wood border was perfect.

Dad was a genius. He picked out that year as "the year" in 1990. Had rookies for Bonds, McGwire, Maddux, Palmeiro. Seemed like a great investment. Got 20 factory sets of them.

Then steroids hit…
    Dude good on your dad for realizing the talent of the 1987 rookie class in only three years. That’s awesome.

Anytime I try to score an autograph I use the ‘87 Topps if it’s available and I have it in my collection. They wood border is perfection. My favorite card from that set is the Bo Jackson rookie. I was a huge Bo fan when I was a kid. Still am.

The uncut cards much look great in frames! That would be really cool to hang in an office.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was in the center field bleachers for this. One of the greatest days of my life.

Got about 10 of these too. We were big Bo fans as well. That Topps 86 Traded set is what clued him onto the 87 set. It was valuable even then.
    Last edited by _me; September 5th, 2020 at 6:15 PM.