0 Thread(s)
    usa

Venom

First teaser trailer

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Next time they should try teasing us with some symbiote.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    Yip im in.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    I thought the CGI used on the Symbiote to make it look like Tom Hardy was very impressive.

Still not sold on there even being a Venom movie he's not that interesting a character and all people want to see is him face off against Spider-man. Will still go to see it first day though so what do I know.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
    I thought the CGI used on the Symbiote to make it look like Tom Hardy was very impressive.
    What part of the teaser is this?

Mentioned
    364 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm intrigued just as a fan of the character and Tom Hardy's a solid actor. Don't mind it as a stand alone, honestly, I'm happy to see him do his own stuff sans Spier-Man. Makes sense for the first teaser not to show him in Venom form...it's a teaser, after all, seeing Venom is kind of the big thing to hold of on to keep them on edge.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a garbage trailer. Didn’t show ANYTHING.

Mentioned
    364 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, it's like they're just teasing us with this teaser!

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm looking forward to it. Like MTH said, Hardy is a solid actor and I always end up enjoying his movies. Most of his movies, I should say.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    scotland
    Laughing at some people's overtly angry reactions to the teaser trailer. Get a grip.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlon Dingle View Post
    Laughing at some people's overtly angry reactions to the teaser trailer. Get a grip.
    It is a kinda silly that people are blowing a gasket over this. The dialogue is a little clichéd, but it's a voice-over in a teaser. And for the people complaining about the lack of a Venom reveal, the movie just wrapped up filming and the CGI probably isn't ready yet.

Jobber
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So far looks like Mad Max in new surroundings. I'll keep my eye for a proper trailer anyway

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Aside from Tom Hardy being in it, nothing about this looks like Mad Max.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    scotland
    Quote Originally Posted by Beer-Belly View Post
    Aside from Tom Hardy being in it, nothing about this looks like Mad Max.
    Tom Hardy does look like Mad Max.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    edit

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We'll find out just how "over" Venom is. I love the character. That whole triangle of Spidey, Venom, and Carnage is something that should be done on the big screen in animated or live action format. I don't think the new Spider-Man would ever do it justice like the Raimi Spider-Man as I feel that version had more room for the darker elements of the Spider-Man story.

But a darker Spider-Man is like a darker Superman, you have to be very very careful because it's such a universally loved character and it's always been mostly geared toward a younger crowd. Not saying young kids but anywhere from 0-17, 18 years old. You don't need to "Dark Knight" this character but you would if you brought him in with Venom and Carnage. It doesn't work trying to be funny and bright with the colors imo.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Venom character in the Raimi Spider-Man was horrible. How do you feel like it was done justice? Am I reading your post wrong?

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think he's judging Raimi's Venom himself. He's talking about the Raimi Spider-Man's ability being able to play off of the Venom character, compared to Tom Holland's Spider-Man.
    I personally can't imagine Holland's Spider-Man being able to pull off the darker tone that Venom brings.

you either die a hero... Morrison's Avatar
    or live long enough to see yourself become a dumdum.
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    jesus that looks fucking awful.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I thought it looked kinda neat.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    I think it looks far too on the nose with the anti hero stuff and the dialogue shown in the trailer is pish. "You work for bad people!" haha

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Why is Venom a babyface

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trailer looks good, but I'm not a fan of how they're portraying Brock/Venom as the man on the run. Hopefully he plays the asshole that he should be.

But again... that Sony. Always cause for caution.

Mentioned
    364 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some of the dialogue is kinda meh there but then again, it's soundbytes, so not much to judge on. Other than that, I dig it, looks pretty cool.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the symbiote reaching out to grab and slam people and giving it a voice could make for some fun scenes for Hardy to play. The dialogue does seem quite simplistic and they seem to be going out of their way to emphasise the anti-hero nature of the character when the dialogue and characterisation should do that job. It's tough to judge on the trailer but we see Hardy in a variety of different action scenes; so I wonder if the full-blown Venom is mostly saved for the third act.

I'm hoping this film pulls out some surprises in terms of the story or really delves into the split personality of the character - if it's just the typical beats of an origin story, it'll be disappointing but completely predictable. Would it be a surprise if the lead bad guy from the foundation gets his own symbiote, calls himself Carnage and has a swirling CGI blob fight with Venom at the end? That could work if the script and effects were good, but this still feels to me like the kind of standalone superhero film that ends up being complete rubbish or at least severely flawed. But I like the character so I hope they hit a home run - just don't see the point in a Venom film that doesn't have the grounding of his feud with Spidey and earns that twisted sense of justice that he ends up applying when he takes his own path.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Hero! View Post
    Why is Venom a babyface
    He eventually becomes a babyface in the comics. The problem is that it took time for Venom make the change.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I like the symbiote reaching out to grab and slam people and giving it a voice could make for some fun scenes for Hardy to play. The dialogue does seem quite simplistic and they seem to be going out of their way to emphasise the anti-hero nature of the character when the dialogue and characterisation should do that job. It's tough to judge on the trailer but we see Hardy in a variety of different action scenes; so I wonder if the full-blown Venom is mostly saved for the third act.

I'm hoping this film pulls out some surprises in terms of the story or really delves into the split personality of the character - if it's just the typical beats of an origin story, it'll be disappointing but completely predictable. Would it be a surprise if the lead bad guy from the foundation gets his own symbiote, calls himself Carnage and has a swirling CGI blob fight with Venom at the end? That could work if the script and effects were good, but this still feels to me like the kind of standalone superhero film that ends up being complete rubbish or at least severely flawed. But I like the character so I hope they hit a home run - just don't see the point in a Venom film that doesn't have the grounding of his feud with Spidey and earns that twisted sense of justice that he ends up applying when he takes his own path.
    This would be ideal, I highly doubt that they will go this way but i really do want this to be good.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw the trailer for Venom which said “unleash your inner anti-hero” and I sighed... I’ve never liked Venom as an anti-hero, I always thought he worked better as Spider-Man’s worst nightmare. His whole babbling about innocents wasn’t meant to show that he had a good side, but that he was a psychopath. Am I alone in thinking this? It's a shame that we're going to be robbed of a proper telling of the alien costume story up to Carnage. That would be rad in the films to see. Holland is rumored to be a cameo in the Venom movie, but honestly it wouldn't matter. There's depth to the character which most don't know about thanks to the flanderization he went through towards the mid ‘90s. Brock was a Catholic which I guess his sense of morality is tethered from, and he had journalistic skills he could put to use. In his first appearances he was like a horror/thriller villain, the way he stalked Peter. There's great moments where he shows up at Aunt May's place. Venom's genius as a villain in his first stories was that he disrupted the life Peter had made for himself in ways no other villain could. He knew Peter's identity, he knew all his friends and loved ones and where they lived, due to the symbiote's memories, he didn't trigger Peter's spider sense so he could follow him and sneak up whenever he wanted, because Peter had come to rely on it to warn him of danger, and he could shapeshift into just about anything. He was Peter with all the power and none of the responsibility, and forcing Peter to confront this dark image that could make things personal at any moment was a compelling situation after years of standard villain activity in the books. Sony is going about this wrong and wants to leverage their Marvel portfolio, but has ceded control of Spider-Man to Marvel. Cue Venom being an anti-hero and in no way related to Spider-Man.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New trailer showing a lot more Venom.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Venom himself looks cool, but everything else is decidedly less than cool.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    venom head on the arm talking to eddie brock is shit.

why is carnage not red?

Venom himself looks superb.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    venom head on the arm talking to eddie brock is shit.

why is carnage not red?

Venom himself looks superb.
    Carnage isn't in the trailer.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The "turd in the wind" thing at the end was... pretty cringey.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Brock View Post
    I saw the trailer for Venom which said “unleash your inner anti-hero” and I sighed... I’ve never liked Venom as an anti-hero, I always thought he worked better as Spider-Man’s worst nightmare. His whole babbling about innocents wasn’t meant to show that he had a good side, but that he was a psychopath. Am I alone in thinking this? It's a shame that we're going to be robbed of a proper telling of the alien costume story up to Carnage. That would be rad in the films to see. Holland is rumored to be a cameo in the Venom movie, but honestly it wouldn't matter. There's depth to the character which most don't know about thanks to the flanderization he went through towards the mid ‘90s. Brock was a Catholic which I guess his sense of morality is tethered from, and he had journalistic skills he could put to use. In his first appearances he was like a horror/thriller villain, the way he stalked Peter. There's great moments where he shows up at Aunt May's place. Venom's genius as a villain in his first stories was that he disrupted the life Peter had made for himself in ways no other villain could. He knew Peter's identity, he knew all his friends and loved ones and where they lived, due to the symbiote's memories, he didn't trigger Peter's spider sense so he could follow him and sneak up whenever he wanted, because Peter had come to rely on it to warn him of danger, and he could shapeshift into just about anything. He was Peter with all the power and none of the responsibility, and forcing Peter to confront this dark image that could make things personal at any moment was a compelling situation after years of standard villain activity in the books. Sony is going about this wrong and wants to leverage their Marvel portfolio, but has ceded control of Spider-Man to Marvel. Cue Venom being an anti-hero and in no way related to Spider-Man.
    I agree with so much of this but as it pertains to where we're at nowadays, I've enjoyed Venom comics that don't rely on falling back on Spider-Man and I'm glad the movie doesn't rely on him. Venom is the cool tweener who's more of a heel and it'll make introducing Carnage mean a lot more imo.

I think for me I go back to the Maximum Carnage video game that I've been playing quite a bit on the Retro Duo these days. I suck at it but it's awesome and I like the concept of the game.

In a perfect world, you do a Spider-Man movie that introduces Venom, similar to Spider-Man 3 where maybe he's not the MAIN villain. Maybe he pulls a Vader in Return of the Jedi and turns on the villain he's paired with and that slowly introduces that "anti-hero" vibe they're trying to go with. But I'm not negative toward this approach as I feel the movie will be pretty bad ass.

Mentioned
    364 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Carnage isn't in the trailer.
    Then who's the other symbiote he's fighting near the end of the trailer? I worry this thing's climax is a big CG-fest symobiote fight....also the plot looks kind of lame...but otherwise, the Brock/Venom character looks interesting enough to make me want to check it out.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Talker, thinner, evil red looking thing?

If it’s not Carnage it’s a very, very bad rip off.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not Carnage. It's Riot. If you slow it down you see Tom and then you Riz Ahmed "inside" Riot. I can completely understand why people thought it was Carnage, but again if you watch it closely you'll see Ahmed. Not to mention, Carnage is going to be played by Woody Harrelson per every report I've heard about his role in this movie. More than likely he'll be presented as Cletus Cassidy but maybe in a post-credits you'll get a little reveal of Carnage.

Mentioned
    364 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Appreciate the clarification.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    So... the EMT symbiote is Donna Diego, aka Scream, right?

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    It's not Carnage. It's Riot. If you slow it down you see Tom and then you Riz Ahmed "inside" Riot. I can completely understand why people thought it was Carnage, but again if you watch it closely you'll see Ahmed. Not to mention, Carnage is going to be played by Woody Harrelson per every report I've heard about his role in this movie. More than likely he'll be presented as Cletus Cassidy but maybe in a post-credits you'll get a little reveal of Carnage.
    solid explanation. .

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks bad. Venom just seems like a massively missed opportunity for Sony to capitalize on the tone of superhero movies which is only going to expand when Fox's properties are under Marvel's control again. It's leaning more into action than horror. The cgi and voices are terrible, and marry that with how this seems to be disconnected from Spider-Man, and you have something that doesn't make sense. I'm not even interested in watching this on Netflix. MCU Venom would've been interesting. Would've been awesome to see him make Spidey's life a living hell.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    Dialogue sounds sounds hockey, hard to understand Tom Hardy, CGI despite looking good is going to end up as an overloaded standard battle, Carnage rumours sound good.

At the moment i'd say 50/50 on good or shite, im certainly willing to give it a chance.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This feels like a big meh to me.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany
    I am in the meh category to but I have movie pass so I will definitely check it out in the theater cause it will cost me around 2 bucks to see it when it boils down to it

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by virmicious View Post
    I am in the meh category to but I have movie pass so I will definitely check it out in the theater cause it will cost me around 2 bucks to see it when it boils down to it
    If moviepass is still around haha.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks bad. Venom just seems like a massively missed opportunity for Sony to capitalize on the tone of superhero movies which is only going to expand when Fox's properties are under Marvel's control again. It's leaning more into action than horror. The cgi and voices are terrible, and marry that with how this seems to be disconnected from Spider-Man, and you have something that doesn't make sense. I'm not even interested in watching this on Netflix. MCU Venom would've been interesting. Would've been awesome to see him make Spidey's life a living hell.
    For someone with the name "Eddie Brock" and you're not even interested in this when it hits a streaming site or free t.v.? All based on a couple minutes of trailers?????

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    He could just be a fan of the epic match Eddie Guerrero and Brock Lesnar had.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's the point of Venom if Spider-Man isn't present at all? I hope the movie turns out good I love Venom, but no Spidey?

While Venom of course looks cool he works best connected to Spider-Man. I'm open to the idea of reinventing the character with an origin that doesn't connect him with the wall crawler right away because I've seen writers change characters into nuanced ones before. But I agree in that my favorite Venom is one that's connected to Spider-Man. TAS deepened the connection to Peter and Spidey, and Venom was all the better for it. Or, like the Ultimate comics, Brock could be a family friend who analyzed a suit developed by Ben Parker and Eddie Brock Sr. Something along those lines. His best stuff involves fighting Spider-Man which is gone here.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's the point of Venom if Spider-Man isn't present at all? I hope the movie turns out good I love Venom, but no Spidey?

While Venom of course looks cool he works best connected to Spider-Man. I'm open to the idea of reinventing the character with an origin that doesn't connect him with the wall crawler right away because I've seen writers change characters into nuanced ones before. But I agree in that my favorite Venom is one that's connected to Spider-Man. TAS deepened the connection to Peter and Spidey, and Venom was all the better for it. Or, like the Ultimate comics, Brock could be a family friend who analyzed a suit developed by Ben Parker and Eddie Brock Sr. Something along those lines. His best stuff involves fighting Spider-Man which is gone here.
    I think Venom can survive without Spider-Man. We didn't need a New Mutants movie to introduce Deadpool. We didn't exactly see Cable in X-Men Days of Future Past and Cyclops and Jean Grey to my knowledge are nowhere to be found in Deadpool 2.

Venom is just one of those characters, like Punisher for example, who didn't need to piggyback off Spider-Man.
    Last edited by Nash Diesel; August 2nd, 2018 at 4:40 PM.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Venom definitely needs to bounce off Spider-Man to be interesting ro me. I think he works best when he interacts with the Marvel universe because as a stand alone character there isnt much to him.

Then again i thought the sane about The Punisher as i only think he is interesting when his beliefs conflict with another marvel hero and their ideals like Spidey or Daredevil.

But the netflix show was pretty good so it could be a nice surprise the trailer doesnt offer much hope so far to me at least.
    Last edited by Gary J; August 2nd, 2018 at 9:20 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I strongly disagree, but to each their own. Venom is at his best when he's linked to Spider-Man as a villain.

This isn't a Deadpool/New Mutants situation.

Venom's existence is literally the result of Spider-Man.

You can't ignore that. So we're going to pretend some alien happened to be a copycat without even meeting Spider-Man?

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
    Venom definitely needs to bounce off Spider-Man to be interesting ro me. I think he works best when he interacts with the Marvel universe because as a stand alone character there isnt much to him.

Then again i thought the sane about The Punisher as i only think he is interesting when his beliefs conflict with another marvel hero and their ideals like Spidey or Daredevil.

But the netflix show was pretty good so it could be a nice surprise the trailer doesnt offer much hope so far to me at least.
    Completely understand that.

I strongly disagree, but to each their own. Venom is at his best when he's linked to Spider-Man as a villain.

This isn't a Deadpool/New Mutants situation.

Venom's existence is literally the result of Spider-Man.

You can't ignore that. So we're going to pretend some alien happened to be a copycat without even meeting Spider-Man?
    Has anyone seen the movie yet? Do we truly know the extent of the origin of how the world came in to contact with the symbiotic entity?

IMHO, Venom is an established character that has transcended reliance on others. If they just completely fuck up the origin of how Eddie Brock becomes Venom and all that ties in to Venom, I can respect the fans who are pissed that they did such a thing. I'm a huge huge huge Spider-Man fan, still have my big ass Todd McFarlane Spider-Man flag from like 88-89 I don't remember the date that's on it. So I respect wanting to keep things the way the comics are. Shit it took me about 10 years to get over Green Goblin looking like some shit from the live action Masters of the Universe lol.

But with Venom....I think it's one of those we need to watch it first. I've never based my opinion on something I'm a huge fan of on what a trailers hows me or what critics say because we all know how these things can be twisted and manipulated. You go see a movie and the audio layered on a scene in the trailer is totally different than the movie.

I mean, I would love them to do a Secret Wars movie. We're just not going to get that anytime soon. And again, I don't think Venom requires Spider-Man and to my knowledge, we don't know if he'll be completely omitted.

Mentioned
    364 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With rumors of Peter Parker at least appearing in the film at some point, I could see it being sort of a twist on the origin where in this he becomes Venom first and then Parker/Spidey does something to earn his wrath afterward. Then maybe the Spier-Man-esque aspects of Venom (spider logo, webbing, etc.) are something that he/the symbiote create in response to Spidey, out of jealousy or ridicule or whatever, with him choosing to be a dark reflection.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah... I don't know. I don't like the idea of Brock becoming Venom without the main source of vengeance that caused him to be so angry in the first place... a certain superhero that goes "Thwip!" I really don't like the idea of Venom going after corporate executives. It just feels generic. I was hoping to see Tom Holland at least cameo in it since it says, "In association with Marvel", kinda like what Suicide Squad did with Batman but I guess it doesn't mean "In association with Marvel Studios." Hopefully I'm judging a book by its cover. Movie starring Venom? Sure. Movie where Venom's nemeses are corporate guys who want to perpetuate the next step in evolution? Yeah... not sold. He's supposed to be this force of nature who will stop at nothing to seek his vengeance against Spider-Man. The trailer on the other hand made him feel more like a fellow who doesn't want to attack people, and the symbiote is the one influencing him to do so - which is a bit inaccurate from who the character is. Brock isn't necessarily evil, but he's not some docile softie who gone bad because of the symbiote either. The notion of choice is a significant theme in Spider-Man stories, and Brock is one of the many who chose to attack with his powers thereby polarizing Spider-Man's decision to use his powers for good. Making Venom a good guy is contradictory of that theme. Without the inclusion of Spider-Man, Venom would lose the impact of why he's notorious among Spidey's rogues gallery all these years. It's not the enhanced strength, it's what Venom represents - a toxic venom created to kill Spider-Man and him alone. But that's the vibe I'm getting when I saw the symbiote's tendrils attacking those men in suits from Brock's body. He acted like he didn't want to attack them. I'm just putting my two cents on what it means if my assumption is correct so I hope you won't be bothered by my presumptive tirade.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I mean, Venom's been an anti-hero for 25 years, so...

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    This is now officially pg13

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is now officially pg13
    I don't even know why people thought it'd be anything more or less than PG-13. I've been buying comics with Venom in it since I was like 12. If a movie came out back in 1996 and it was Rated-R nobody was taking me to Venom because nobody gave a fuck about comics in my family. So this makes it so young homey Will can go see Venom. But yeah, still scratching my head why people think Venom is this horror comic when the motherfucker has been PG-13 for 30 years.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BGMaverick View Post
    This feels like a big meh to me.
    Still sticking with this. To elaborate, the most interesting thing about this so far to me is Eminem's song for the movie, which probably isn't the greatest sign. We'll see.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Still sticking with this. To elaborate, the most interesting thing about this so far to me is Eminem's song for the movie, which probably isn't the greatest sign. We'll see.
    This is why I don't pay much attention to trailers and when I do, I put little faith in to how it's drawing me to a movie. Especially movies that pertain to comics because there are certain movies that the previews make it look whack and then you finally see the entire 2 hour movie and forget about the trailer lol.

I'm not even sure fans know what they want out of a Venom movie. Me personally, I'm like, why are we making a Venom movie in the first place? If people are constantly having this bar being set in their minds they're going to be disappointed more often than not. For me, Venom should be part of a bigger project. He should have been like Harry Osbourne in the Raimi Spider-Man movies where you see the progression toward becoming Venom through 1-2 movies and THEN he's one of if not THE main bad guy.

Here I think they're banking on Tom Harding's skill level as an actor and the cult following of Venom. If this movie is #1 for more than a week I'll be surprised and if it makes it to #1 twice, it'll be because the movie was actually good.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a very peripheral awareness of Venom so I was looking to see if the general concept from what I saw in the trailer(s) raised my level of interest. It did not. I'm not really seeing why we need this movie, other than capitalizing on the interest these types of movies are getting.

FYI, it's Tom Hardy.
    His casting seems intriguing in potentially observing a car crash rather than acting. This just seems like a miss.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a very peripheral awareness of Venom so I was looking to see if the general concept from what I saw in the trailer(s) raised my level of interest. It did not. I'm not really seeing why we need this movie, other than capitalizing on the interest these types of movies are getting.

FYI, it's Tom Hardy.
    His casting seems intriguing in potentially observing a car crash rather than acting. This just seems like a miss.
    Tonya Hardy, Tom Harding, it works lol.

I think Tom Hardy's skill level can make a potentially bad movie better just based on how he delivers overall. He could very well carry this movie.

I also think that this could be a movie where people will go back and appreciate it once Venom does a little more in cinema. I felt this way about Batman Begins. First couple times I watched it I was flat out bored. Me, die hard Batman fan, couldn't stay awake it was so brown and dark and boring. Then Dark Knight comes out and somehow it made Batman Begins better. I still watch it going "meh, could be a lot better" but it's better when viewed after seeing the other 2 Nolan/Bale movies imo.

Venom could be that way where we go "Ah shit that first one was just an introduction"

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tonya Hardy, Tom Harding, it works lol.

I think Tom Hardy's skill level can make a potentially bad movie better just based on how he delivers overall. He could very well carry this movie.

I also think that this could be a movie where people will go back and appreciate it once Venom does a little more in cinema. I felt this way about Batman Begins. First couple times I watched it I was flat out bored. Me, die hard Batman fan, couldn't stay awake it was so brown and dark and boring. Then Dark Knight comes out and somehow it made Batman Begins better. I still watch it going "meh, could be a lot better" but it's better when viewed after seeing the other 2 Nolan/Bale movies imo.

Venom could be that way where we go "Ah shit that first one was just an introduction"
    I figured that was the disconnect you made with the name haha.

It's entirely possible what you said could play out, but I also feel like we've gone quite a while since we've had a flat out dud of a superhero movie (Dud as in critical acclaim and box office response). I may be wrong on that but if that's the case, we may be arriving at that moment.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Tom Hardy kinda made it seem like he's doing the movie because his kid is a Venom fan. That's cool. Hopefully he can bring something unique (or weird) to Eddie Brock. I'm not super optimistic about the movie as a whole, though.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I figured that was the disconnect you made with the name haha.

It's entirely possible what you said could play out, but I also feel like we've gone quite a while since we've had a flat out dud of a superhero movie (Dud as in critical acclaim and box office response). I may be wrong on that but if that's the case, we may be arriving at that moment.
    Ghost Rider 2 was probably the last comic book movie I saw that made me want to kill someone lol. And Nic Cage is a fucking super fan of Ghost Rider, has him tatted on his arm and this is what he thought was cool? Ugh.

That Fantastic Four with Michael Jordan and the dude who can play the drums like Max Weinberg was so bad I didn't even watch it. 1 of the only times I even took my mom's advice to not watch a movie lol.

I hope to God Venom isn't that bad.

Tom Hardy kinda made it seem like he's doing the movie because his kid is a Venom fan. That's cool. Hopefully he can bring something unique (or weird) to Eddie Brock. I'm not super optimistic about the movie as a whole, though.
    I mean if that's his reasoning, awesome, because Eddie Murphy and Ice Cube straight up sold the fuck out for their kids and do stupid shit. Stupid shit that sometimes makes a shit ton of money but still, in comparison to their past lol.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ghost Rider 2 was probably the last comic book movie I saw that made me want to kill someone lol. And Nic Cage is a fucking super fan of Ghost Rider, has him tatted on his arm and this is what he thought was cool? Ugh.

That Fantastic Four with Michael Jordan and the dude who can play the drums like Max Weinberg was so bad I didn't even watch it. 1 of the only times I even took my mom's advice to not watch a movie lol.

I hope to God Venom isn't that bad.
    It's a bad idea, and the director is 0/3 in directing good movies.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brock Kasady View Post
    It's a bad idea, and the director is 0/3 in directing good movies.
    Don't sleep on Zombieland.

It does seem like a weird choice for a director when you look at the movies he's done. Zombieland, 30 Seconds or Less, Gangster Squad, again I loved Zombieland, but the other 2 I don't think I've seen 30 seconds all the way through and definitely haven't seen Gangster Squad.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't sleep on Zombieland.

It does seem like a weird choice for a director when you look at the movies he's done. Zombieland, 30 Seconds or Less, Gangster Squad, again I loved Zombieland, but the other 2 I don't think I've seen 30 seconds all the way through and definitely haven't seen Gangster Squad.
    Gangster Squad is just alright... but pretty hilarious.

^ Only good part.
    Last edited by VHS; September 18th, 2018 at 2:29 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Tom Hardy said his favorite scenes were cut from the movie. That doesn't sound like a good sign. Apparently around 40 minutes were cut from the film.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah not exactly what you want to hear from the lead actor lol. For fuck's sake Tom.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Were the cuts part of the effort to make it PG-13?

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope they edit OUT the Wilhelm scream.

Mentioned
    364 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeSplitter View Post
    Were the cuts part of the effort to make it PG-13?
    The director has said it was always going to be PG-13...
    https://www.polygon.com/2018/9/30/17...d-cut-violence

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mth View Post
    The director has said it was always going to be PG-13...
    https://www.polygon.com/2018/9/30/17...d-cut-violence
    And he could have cut those scenes to ensure the theatrical release is PG 13.

I fully expect a Hardy cut

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I'll wait for the Tom Hardy Cut on 4K at this point.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Venom has a review embargo...
    That's typically not a great sign...

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Yeah, embargo's are usually up until the Monday/Tuesday of the release. My buddy wants to go, but is busy for a few weeks, so I won't be rushing to see this.

Some review tweets on IGN:
    https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/10...witter-roundup
    Last edited by TimeSplitter; October 2nd, 2018 at 8:09 AM.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Quote Originally Posted by TimeSplitter View Post
    Yeah, embargo's are usually up until the Monday/Tuesday of the release. My buddy wants to go, but is busy for a few weeks, so I won't be rushing to see this.

Some review tweets on IGN:
    https://www.ign.com/articles/2018/10...witter-roundup
    'The Mothmeg' loltjx, right?

Champ is Gone
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just watched Venom. Went from being like I don’t know I like this to genuinely thinking this is a good movie. So I don’t get the reviews.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    So...

you either die a hero... Morrison's Avatar
    or live long enough to see yourself become a dumdum.
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So...

from what ive read...

Last edited by Morrison; October 5th, 2018 at 11:50 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So...

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    This is like an early 2000s superhero movie with some weird scenes that make it worth watching...
    At least one of which involved a tank full of live lobsters, and another involving a famous actor affecting an accent in a weird wig...
    The best part of the film is the onscreen chemistry between Tom Hardy and Tom Hardy...

It's a not great movie being carried by Tom Hardy, weird moments and the fact that they pretty much nailed Venom...

After watching the mid credits scene, I hope there's a second one of these...
    They probably want a trilogy, but they need exactly one more...
    Last edited by Bill Casey; October 6th, 2018 at 6:43 AM.

Champ is Gone
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So...

I'd say it made sense in context

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mozambique
    As someone who LOVES tom hardy but thinks the trailer looked like 10 pounds of shit stuffed into a 5 pound bag, should I see this?

Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes

i haven't seen it and tom is my least favorite hardy boy.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just got done seeing this. I honestly really liked it. If I wanted to be nitpicky, there are things that make it not so great. But if you just go in to take it for what it is, it was actually really enjoyable. A lot of fun moments, some great awkward humor, solid action, and they really did portray Venom near-perfectly. Tom Hardy makes a great Eddie Brock, too.

My only major complaint:

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho666Soldier View Post
    My only major complaint:
    They cut forty minutes out of this movie, and it feels like the second act is truncated...
    They should have cut from the first act...
    Last edited by Bill Casey; October 15th, 2018 at 7:14 AM.

Mentioned
    364 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just saw this (by myself like a loser!). It was a bit of a mixed bag but not too bad. My major complaints would be:

Other than that, though, i was pretty on board the rest of the time. Really liked the first half or so. I agree with Psycho's complaint and hope they release an uncut version 'cuz I'd watch it again if some of those 40 minutes get put back in.

Ok, I just watched a review where someone gave the perspective of it being a bit of a love story between Eddie and Venom, and that Venom falls for Eddie...and I have to say, that angle makes me like it more.
    Last edited by mth; October 24th, 2018 at 11:49 PM.