User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: WWE's Best Matches of 2017

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really loved Bate vs Dunne. I think I left it off my list because I like their match in NXT where Dunne won the title more.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This just showed me that Brock, when the stars align, can be absolutely fantastic. Loved this match.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 4 botches in the match really took me out of it. It was still good, but had it been cleaner, it could have been amazing. This is what happens when Brock wrestles nothing but Hoss matches.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    Easy #1 for me. A wrestler who when on, is for me the most compelling out there vs. overall probably the best in the world. A dream match in every sense of the word and it absolutely delivers. AJ did a huge amount for Brock and Brock did a lot for AJ. Loved it.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasori View Post
    The 4 botches in the match really took me out of it. It was still good, but had it been cleaner, it could have been amazing. This is what happens when Brock wrestles nothing but Hoss matches.
    What other botches are you talking about? I only remember that Tornado DDT spot.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho666Soldier View Post
    What other botches are you talking about? I only remember that Tornado DDT spot.
    Brock almost fell over Gorilla Pressing AJ. Brock not going over the top rope to the outside correctly which looked awkward. It actually might have only been 3. Granted, they didn't look as bad as the Tornado DDT spot, but they were still noticeable to me.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm with ya. It was good but personally I feel a bit overrated here because it was Lesnar's first match in a while that was competitive and he didn't just go into lazy suplex ciry then F5 mode.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last edited by Psycho666Soldier; March 14th, 2018 at 1:30 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasori View Post
    Brock almost fell over Gorilla Pressing AJ. Brock not going over the top rope to the outside correctly which looked awkward. It actually might have only been 3. Granted, they didn't look as bad as the Tornado DDT spot, but they were still noticeable to me.
    Why does everything need to be smooth? This match looked more like a fight than most matches we see in WWE.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    I really enjoyed AJ/Finn, just a really solid well worked match - battle of the bullet club leaders. Was #15 on my list. A long way off AJ/Brock though.

5 - AJ Styles
    3 - Cesaro, Sheamus, Dean Ambrose, Pete Dunne, Brock Lesnar
    2 - Kevin Owens, Seth Rollins, Baron Corbin, The Miz, Asuka, Roman Reigns, Braun Strowman, Johnny Gargano, Tyler Bate, Akam, Rezar
    1 - Charlotte, Bayley, Mark Andrews, Austin Aries, Neville, Shinsuke Nakamura, Sami Zayn, Dolph Ziggler, Jeff Hardy, Matt Hardy, Enzo Amore, Big Cass, Luke Gallows, Karl Anderson, Kurt Angle, Kane, Shane McMahon, Nikki Cross, Tomasso Ciampa, Goldberg, John Cena, Bray Wyatt, Ember Moon, Jimmy Uso, Jey Uso, Big E, Xavier Woods, Samoa Joe, Andrade Almas, Kyle O'Reilly, Adam Cole, Bobby Fish, Killian Dain, Alexander Wolfe, Eric Young, Roderick Strong, Finn Balor

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, botches aren't usually a good thing for a match, but I think there are some cases where it can make the fight feel more real. Case in point that Tornado DDT spot. Those other botches I've never really even noticed, which to me makes it feel like the overall quality of the matches outshined little details like that. To each their own, of course, and there are matches ranked higher on this list than I would have ever given, but I don't think AJ/Brock was a case of overhype because Lesnar had a well-worked match. If anything, you could argue overhype because AJ was in it. But I personally feel the match was actually strong on it's own, not because of the frequency of match quality from either opponent.

Ironically, I find Styles/Balor a bit overrated because of the participants involved and the history between the two, but each time I watch it, I find more to enjoy about it. Initially I ranked it #18, but as I've been rewatching for write-ups and adjusting some match scores, I would have had it bumped up to #13 at this point. Just a standout romp between two of the best with a great built-in story behind it. Easily one of Finn's best matches in the company, if not THE best.

#5 incoming. Just doing some formatting and such and it should be up in the next 10-20 minutes.
    Last edited by Psycho666Soldier; March 4th, 2018 at 1:18 PM.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOVED THIS MATCH! I was so high on it when I first watched it that I almost thought I was gonna make it my #1. In the end, Dunne/Bate from Chicago just barely edged it out, placing it at #3, but I think I honestly might have swapped the two in retrospect. This match a perfect breakout moment for Velveteen and stand-out moment in Black's career. Both men have ridiculous talent, and Velveteen ended up making a perfect foil for the Dutch Destroyer. The feud was a big part of what made the match feel like a big deal, and part of what makes this match so special is for how well-worked it was moves-wise, it was also hands-down the best character/story-oriented match of the year. So yeah, great match, and while I think #5 is a perfectly fine placement considering what's above it, I definitely think it belongs closer to the top.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't submit a list but if I did, Black vs. Dream would've been at the top of it.

Ooh he's written it down.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lord. That DDT-thing that Dream hits on Black looks better and better every time I see it. Great match.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a damn match. It was amazing how great they made the Cell feel again, as while there have been good matches in HIAC lately, not many of them really felt like the Cell was a big part of it. This just felt far more unique with the way they executed the match, even if they weren't ALWAYS using the Cell. They made it feel like the Cell was bringing this side out of them. When making my list, I ranked this somewhat low compared to the SummerSlam match which I had at #4. Looking back, I probably would have put this at 4 as well and knocked the other one down to 5. What an excellent end for the trilogy, though.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    YES. It's just fantastic. The Usos turned into absolute animals. Kofi's helpless on the outside. And Woods became the best babyface in the world, undoubtedly his standout performance.

5 - AJ Styles
    3 - Cesaro, Sheamus, Dean Ambrose, Pete Dunne, Brock Lesnar
    2 - Kevin Owens, Seth Rollins, Baron Corbin, The Miz, Asuka, Roman Reigns, Braun Strowman, Johnny Gargano, Tyler Bate, Akam, Rezar, Jimmy Uso, Jey Uso, Big E, Xavier Woods
    1 - Charlotte, Bayley, Mark Andrews, Austin Aries, Neville, Shinsuke Nakamura, Sami Zayn, Dolph Ziggler, Jeff Hardy, Matt Hardy, Enzo Amore, Big Cass, Luke Gallows, Karl Anderson, Kurt Angle, Kane, Shane McMahon, Nikki Cross, Tomasso Ciampa, Goldberg, John Cena, Bray Wyatt, Ember Moon, Samoa Joe, Andrade Almas, Kyle O'Reilly, Adam Cole, Bobby Fish, Killian Dain, Alexander Wolfe, Eric Young, Roderick Strong, Finn Balor, Aleister Black, The Velveteen Dream

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Fanboys

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember the HIAC match not getting much love here, so I'm happy it's ranked so high. What a great blow off to an epic feud. This is one of the few rivalries in recent memory that truly deserved to be settled in the Cell.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry for the delay everyone, another week where I just couldn't find the time to do the next write-up. Looking for a new job, so I've been putting in a lot of job applications. I plan on getting all three done over the course of the weekend, so ideally something up on Saturday/Sunday, and then #2 and #1 as a package deal on Monday/Tuesday.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    I loved this at the time and wanted to watch it again because I don't remember much about it but didn't find the time. Surprised to see it quite so high.

5 - AJ Styles
    3 - Cesaro, Sheamus, Dean Ambrose, Pete Dunne, Brock Lesnar, Akam, Rezar, Johnny Gargano
    2 - Kevin Owens, Seth Rollins, Baron Corbin, The Miz, Asuka, Roman Reigns, Braun Strowman, Tyler Bate, Jimmy Uso, Jey Uso, Big E, Xavier Woods, Tomasso Ciampa
    1 - Charlotte, Bayley, Mark Andrews, Austin Aries, Neville, Shinsuke Nakamura, Sami Zayn, Dolph Ziggler, Jeff Hardy, Matt Hardy, Enzo Amore, Big Cass, Luke Gallows, Karl Anderson, Kurt Angle, Kane, Shane McMahon, Nikki Cross, Goldberg, John Cena, Bray Wyatt, Ember Moon, Samoa Joe, Andrade Almas, Kyle O'Reilly, Adam Cole, Bobby Fish, Killian Dain, Alexander Wolfe, Eric Young, Roderick Strong, Finn Balor, Aleister Black, The Velveteen Dream, Scott Dawson, Dash Wilder

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was a damn good match. I can't remember the last time a Team has been booked to be so dominant. The entire series between those three teams was one of the highlights of last year.

I can only think of one match that would be #1 or 2. I'm curious what the other one will be.

We haven’t become anything — we simply are as we are
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    usa
    I know the top two for sure just curious about the order

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm finishing up the next entry now and will be doing #1 later this evening(Wednesday) once I get out of work and finish my workout. Would people prefer to get both when #1 is done to hold off on the surprise(as I'm sure which two matches left are pretty obvious), or would you want to see #2 now and #1 when it's ready? If I don't hear anything by the time I wake up tomorrow morning, I'll just go ahead and post #2.

Football manager? Peter Griffin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Personally I'd do them together

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Starting on #1 now. About halfway through finishing, I'll post #2 and then get up #1 once it's complete.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Fanboys
    Why do you say that? I'm not as high on it as others are, but it was an enjoyable, entertaining match for what little build it had.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you everyone for your participation and patience! Generally, this year ran smoother than most, with a few hiccups towards the end starting with that weekend where time got wonky for me. I'm a little surprised with how the list turned out, with some matches making the Top 10 I wouldn't have expected, and the lower half filled with matches I didn't even think people thought that highly of. I think this might be the first time the list actually included every single match in a series from the year(usually there's one or two that misses the mark). I also found it interesting that not a single match was included on every list, as usually there is at least one or two matches that are unanimously considering list-worthy. The work was a bit harder this year as I didn't have nearly as many volunteers for the write-ups, but still fulfilling as usual. I hope you all enjoyed despite the hiccups in the later half, and I hope no one was sorely disappointed in the order. We all have matches that we feel deserved much more recognition, or certain ones that we consider overrated. But as usual, I think the list is highly representative of the overall opinion of the forums, and due to that, I can never be truly upset about which match goes where.

Thanks again everyone for joining along this journey, and I look forward to seeing you all join me for next year's edition!

Master list with the matches that didn't make the cut will be up sometime by the weekend. Most likely on Friday.

Football manager? Peter Griffin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk

Appreciate what you do.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    brazil
    Great stuff Psycho. Figured these two would be numbers one and two. Not my favourites but two very wow matches. I liked the other Dunne/Bate matches more and I probably prefer the AJ/Cena Summerslam match to this one.

6 - AJ Styles
    4 - Pete Dunne
    3 - Cesaro, Sheamus, Dean Ambrose, Brock Lesnar, Akam, Rezar, Johnny Gargano, Tyler Bate
    2 - Kevin Owens, Seth Rollins, Baron Corbin, The Miz, Asuka, Roman Reigns, Braun Strowman, Jimmy Uso, Jey Uso, Big E, Xavier Woods, Tomasso Ciampa, John Cena

1 - Charlotte, Bayley, Mark Andrews, Austin Aries, Neville, Shinsuke Nakamura, Sami Zayn, Dolph Ziggler, Jeff Hardy, Matt Hardy, Enzo Amore, Big Cass, Luke Gallows, Karl Anderson, Kurt Angle, Kane, Shane McMahon, Nikki Cross, Goldberg, Bray Wyatt, Ember Moon, Samoa Joe, Andrade Almas, Kyle O'Reilly, Adam Cole, Bobby Fish, Killian Dain, Alexander Wolfe, Eric Young, Roderick Strong, Finn Balor, Aleister Black, The Velveteen Dream, Scott Dawson, Dash Wilder

Andy
    Great stuff as always Psycho, sorry I couldn't be more involved this year.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had those two ranked as the results panned out, obviously, but I think the only real "knock" I had (which proved to be the decider) was that they were both essentially rematches but Dunne/Bate felt completely different the second time around. Styles/Cena was amazing but it basically felt like a rehash in a lot of ways compared to their Summerslam match.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great work Psycho No qualms about the order of the top 2. Both were fantastic matches and it could have gone either way. They both represent the best of their respective brands. I also found it interesting that so many matches in a series made it into the list. That's a big statement about the level of talent involved.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Master List

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a shame none of the Mae Young Classic matches made it on. While it didn't have the consistency of the CWC, it definitely had some belters in the second half. Not sure if that's due to a majority of the people sending in lists not watching or just not caring about it as much. That said, Storm/Sane was the only one I could justify throwing in after my rewatches, and it was just about #20, so I think it mostly goes to show that everything else was just that much better.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Mae Young Classic definitely deserves a re-watch from me. There were some great matches, but they just lacked the Wow Factor that many of the CWC ones had. Like you said Psycho, there was just too much good wrestling last year and competition was steep. Feuds like Usos/New Day and DIY/Revival/AOP dominated the list, not to mention AJ as the MVP yet again. Maybe I'll think better of the MYC upon re-watching.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know we're only in March, but I think this year barring any more major injuries has the potential to be even better wrestling-wise. For example, Gargano and Ciampa to clash properly, not in a friendly tournament setting, Ambroses's return, Reigns/Lesnarand of course not forgetting the elephant in the room being AJ /Nakamura.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    I know we're only in March, but I think this year barring any more major injuries has the potential to be even better wrestling-wise. For example, Gargano and Ciampa to clash properly, not in a friendly tournament setting, Ambroses's return, Reigns/Lesnarand of course not forgetting the elephant in the room being AJ /Nakamura.
    I've actually been thinking this. The year has been ridiculously stacked with quality matches across the globe, let alone WWE. Though, it could be like last year where everything was fantastic up through WrestleMania, then it dies off until post-SummerSlam.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've actually been thinking this. The year has been ridiculously stacked with quality matches across the globe, let alone WWE. Though, it could be like last year where everything was fantastic up through WrestleMania, then it dies off until post-SummerSlam.
    Very true. With Nakamura at the Smackdown helm, Reigns at the Raw helm (character aside, giving him his due he puts on good matches) hopefully Neville coming back, Gargano, Asuka as champ and her streak being on the line more than ever, somebody stopping the Bludgeon Brothers etc. I'm quite optimistic.