User Tag List

Thread: UFC 1 - The Sequal

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives

UFC 1 - The Sequal

Would you care to see a rehashing of the original UFC tournament idea nowadays?

A number of guys from different disciplines, except today and more or less informed of what they'd be up against, squaring off to crown a martial arts champion. No one sneaking up ala Royce Gracie and BJJ, and a rule set that is more in accordance with today's MMA. No gi's, no boxing gloves, no wrestling shoes, no headbutting or dick punching, etc.

And I'm thinking they'd all be best in some ballpark of a weight class as to not come across absurd.

If you took, say, Teddy Riner from judo
    Marcus Buchecha from bjj
    Anthony Joshua from boxing
    Rico Verhoeven from kickboxing
    Kyle Snyder from wrestling
    Radik Isayev from taekwondo ... who wins?

And no, I don't think this is a legitimately plausible idea, but for the sake of us fans having whatever fun discussion we can ... would you care to see such a thing, again?
    Any other competitors, or other disciplines for that matter, you'd have in mind?
    Any ideas for a format ... a straight tournament, a round robin grand prix-style?

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    BJJ or wrestling still beat the other disciplines, assuming nobody is cross-trained.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    No real argument about the most viable disciplines if looking on a large enough scale for probability sake, sure. But this also has to do with the particular competitors. It has to do with matchups. And it has to do with people not getting completely caught unaware like more than two decades ago.

Teddy Riner as an elite-trained physical freak could well be a monster handful for just about anyone else on the planet, regardless of discipline.
    Verhoeven or Joshua with a bit of time to prepare for takedowns leading up to such an endeavor? ... eh, they're both lethal with a smidgeon of time and distance.

Do you watch much of any other combat sport Mark, or is it pretty much MMA or bust? Don't mean with that with any snark whatsoever at all either, just genuinely curious if you ever give K1/Glory or ADCC/Metamoris or boxing or whatever else any kind of attention at all.

Banned
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I catch boxing and kickboxing on a very casual basis. ie big names and I'll watch the random card if I stumble across it hopping channels.

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would actually enjoy seeing a throwback tournament where it was a tournament of single discipline fighters going at it.

I'd give them 3 months to prepare. Can you get away with not revealing the first round opponent until the night of?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    I would actually enjoy seeing a throwback tournament where it was a tournament of single discipline fighters going at it.

I'd give them 3 months to prepare. Can you get away with not revealing the first round opponent until the night of?
    I'd imagine you could the opponent hush hush until the day of. All entrants would be known ahead of time, then a rando draw that morning.

That's one of many scenarios that would make something like this fun to flesh out.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really like the idea of the fighters not being well rounded and being very very dominant in that 1 sport. Maybe they crosstrain in some grappling/striking to prepare but again, only giving them a short window will prevent them from getting super skilled in other aspects of MMA. And we saw this after like UFC 2 or 3 where you were getting Paul Varlens who called his style "Trap fighting" I believe.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    That's certainly a big selling point in an idea like this. There are very few in MMA past or present who can hold a candle to the names I listed in their focused disciplines.

It would be nostalgic UFC of old but with all we've learned since. Like remaking Star Wars or Planet of the Apes.

Glad one of you assholes is on board.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by percussion13 View Post
    That's certainly a big selling point in an idea like this. There are very few in MMA past or present who can hold a candle to the names I listed in their focused disciplines.

It would be nostalgic UFC of old but with all we've learned since. Like remaking Star Wars or Planet of the Apes.

Glad one of you assholes is on board.
    lol.

It's what drew me to shit like Mayweather-McGregor. Stripping down an MMA fighters' skill set intrigues me just as much as a guy who only kickboxes facing a judokan.