Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: World Cup 2018

Defiance is a four letter
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by El Capitano Gatisto View Post
    Never a penalty, nor a free kick for the first which was also offside. Bad game for the officials. Croatia were hard done by, but their keeper was fucking useless for the 3rd and 4th goals. Pogba's especially should be saved by a child.
    I got so angry when they fourth went in. The third was bad enough, despite inexplicably setting himself incredibly poorly he was leaning in the right direction to dive and save it, he didn't even stick out his arm.But the fourth, he saw it coming and could have saved it. My tin foil hat was ready to go.

- - - Updated - - -

And to put my oar in, never a fucking penalty.

Pavard's easily goal of the tournament.

UNSTOPPABLE. UNBEATABLE. Judas Iscariot's Avatar
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    The videos of Croatia today celebrating their team are amazing. A small country less than 30 years old. It brings warmth to my heart.

You didn't see me, right? HHHnFoley_Rulez's Avatar
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where did this perception they are 27 years old come from? They've been around for a lot longer.. just they've only been independent (again) for 27 years....

Simon
    What would you lot say was the team of the tournament? I'm thinking...

GK: Pickford
    DL: Hernandez
    DC: Varane
    DC: Stones
    DR: Vrsaljko
    MC: Modric
    MC: Pogba
    MC: De Bruyne
    AM: Perisic
    AM: Mbappe
    FC: Mandzukic

Subs: Lloris, Trippier, Godin, Kante, Hazard, Isco, Cavani
    Last edited by Simon; July 17th, 2018 at 3:49 AM.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lloris

Trippier
    Varane
    Hernandez

Perisic
    Modric
    De Bruyne
    Hazard

Mbappe

World Champion
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it meant to be a functional team?

Simon
    I would say. Certainly functional enough that you get a full eleven

World Champion
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The remaining pieces were determined by your answer.

Lloris

Trippier
    Varane
    Mina
    Hernandez

Hazard
    Modric
    De Bruyne
    Perisic

Mbappe
    Lukaku

Simon
    Even though he scored quite a few goals, I thought Lukaku had a bit of a crap tournament - so many times his crap touch led to great chances being spurned before he even got a shot off. De Bruyne in particular set him up on at least three separate occasions in the semis and the third placed playoff, and every time he fucked it. The World Cup showed both sides of him - the strength and intelligence that make him such an asset (his part in the goal of the tournament against Japan was superb) but the technical mediocrity that means top defenders don't really fear him.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cuba
    Mandzukic wasn't great either and was a passenger in a couple of games. As was Kane.

It wasn't a great tournament for genuine strikers. Lewandowski and Jesus failed to score, Giroud didn't even manage a shot on goal. Werner was a disaster.

Simon
    Yeah I was excited to see Werner but he looked like he didnt have much other than a quick burst of pace. Seemed to be playing mostly on the wing though.

Kane looked knackered from the Sweden game onwards, he was fantastic against Colombia though I thought and obviously made the difference in those first two games. Definitely could have done better but I think the criticism has been a touch harsh.

Have to say I was impressed with Mandzukic throughout the tournament - in the absence of a stand out striker I'd have him down as the most impressive and certainly the most important in his team's success.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cuba
    Oh Kane was superb up until the Colombia game and especially in the Colombia game. I think they just battered him into submission. He definitely deserves no criticism.

John Stones had a great tournament but misses out due to his costly extra-time snooze.

I ate them before they ate me El Capitano Gatisto's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stones went to pieces against Colombia in extra time. He's just not a very good defender.

Kane was very odd - he was no threat from open play at all, in contrast to his game for Spurs where he always takes up dangerous positions and shoots relentlessly. For England he was almost playing as an extra midfielder. It didn't work.

Simon
    Against Croatia it felt like Kane was sacrificed to make use of Sterling's pace - Kane was deeper with Sterling the last man. And to be fair it worked to an extent, Sterling got in behind so many times. But obviously his final ball is dog shit so it usually came to nothing, and Kane isn't quick enough to play that attacking mid role and still get on the end of things in the box.

I'd have to look at it again but Croatia's winner was more Maguire than Stones I thought - Maguire was the deeper man and should have had Mandzukic covered?

I ate them before they ate me El Capitano Gatisto's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kane played very deep in every game, not just Croatia. England won in spite of this tactic, not because of if. He probably had to do that because Alli was on one leg since around the 20th minute of the Tunisia game and Lingard offers nothing as a midfielder on the ball, his best work is done without the ball. Henderson was basically on his own, so Maguire stepped up and Kane dropped back to give England a presence. It really wasted England's best goal threat from open play. Southgate made a few errors, namely not dropping Alli for Loftus-Cheek after the first game, not changing things early enough against Croatia (from the 35th minute it was obvious the game was turning in their favour).

I don't think England defended well in any game in the tournament, even Panama they were caught out. Part of that is because Kyle Walker can't defend and Stones is incapable of concentrating. I rate Harry Maguire, as it happens, but by his nature he's prone to being caught out in behind with his mobility, therefore he needs players who are aware of danger. Walker and Stones aren't.

I think Croatia's injury time goal was down to Stones, he just didn't react. He was flat-footed and not ready for the ball being headed back. He was beaten to the ball by a slower, likely more tired player because he doesn't think quickly enough.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Even though he scored quite a few goals, I thought Lukaku had a bit of a crap tournament - so many times his crap touch led to great chances being spurned before he even got a shot off. De Bruyne in particular set him up on at least three separate occasions in the semis and the third placed playoff, and every time he fucked it. The World Cup showed both sides of him - the strength and intelligence that make him such an asset (his part in the goal of the tournament against Japan was superb) but the technical mediocrity that means top defenders don't really fear him.
    I thought otherwise. Apart from the semi final he was a threat all over the field. Lots of pace, showed his ability to pick out dangerous passes, and scored a ton on top of it all. I thought he looked better than he had all season with United.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Just about every player from Man United looked better at the world cup then they did in a Man United apart from De Gea.

Probably Rashford too as he offered nothing whenever he came on.