Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Movie Review Thread

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fro View Post
    Chef (2014)

I enjoyed this. It's exactly what you'd expect. The amount of shots that just focus on cooking are a little gratuitous, so if you're someone who doesn't like watching delicious food being prepared on film then avoid this movie, lol. They really put a lot of those in there, as if they were combining the appeal of the Food Network with a fictional movie. Favreau is good, the script is solid, it's a feel-good chef father/son story. It isn't anything amazing but I think it further shows Favreau's talents that he can still write/direct this nice small chef movie even as he has graduated to making studio-defining critically acclaimed blockbusters. The guy's stock is soaring (mind you this came out 6 years ago but nevertheless).

7/10
    This was great. I saw it around the same time I saw Burnt (which is fantastic) and I fully expected this to be not as good but I was wrong. It was fun to watch. John Leguizamo was very good in his role.

Supposedly this is what Favreau focused on after he was denied the chance to write and direct Avengers.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Took a break from shark flicks this past week to try some other stuff. Review dump aaaaand go:

Zombieland: Double Tap - Kind of forgot the first one a bit but this was fine. Humor was a bit cringey and try-hard at times but overall it was a good bit of dumb fun. The ditzy blonde chick absolutely stole the show and was far and away the best thing in the movie.

Big Ass Spider! - I expected this to be super shit like the shark flicks I've been watching but you guys...this was actually good. Like, surprisingly good. It's a throwback monster movie, B-movie type thing but it was super entertaining, there were actually some decent scares, likeable characters, it was kind of charming. I highly recommend it.

Piranha (1978) - A Jaws knock-off/parody that was stupid fun. if you dig stuff like Friday the 13th, you'll dig this. Stupid plot, stupid characters, tits, gore, bad effects, it's a good time.

Barney Burman's Wild Boar - Another one that was better than I expected. Basically, some stupid treasure hunters end up in a Planet of the Apes-type situation except instead of apes it's pig-people. The pig-people are pretty cool and the tension/drama is pretty good. Some decent gore, as well. It seemed like it was going to be cheap indy garbage but exceeded my expectations.

Happiest Season - Wife and I decided to give this a try since I'd seen some talk of it lately. Outside of the lesbian couple/coming out angle, it's pretty by the numbers rom-com stuff and follows the standard formula. Some of the humors worth a chuckle and some's a little eye-rolly but its heart's in the right place and the rom part is fairly effective, and the L(GBTQ) twist on the old standard does freshen it up and make for a good message.

Banned
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I still haven't checked out Zombieland: Double Tap yet, but I reckon I'll dig it if it's anything like the first one.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw four films over the holidays.

Wonder Woman was

Soul was

Mulan (the live action version)

I finally saw the Bill Murray version of "Scrooged" I find Bill Murray hard to take sometimes, but this film was never trying to be Citizen Kane. A few friends love this, while others think it's among the worst thing he's ever done.
    Last edited by 3puppies; December 28th, 2020 at 12:02 AM.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DVDA View Post
    I still haven't checked out Zombieland: Double Tap yet, but I reckon I'll dig it if it's anything like the first one.
    It's everything the first one was. Fucking hilarious.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I saw Unhinged over the weekend, and I really enjoyed it. Russell Crowe may be in my top 10 favorite actors list. This gets 8/10 from me.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany
    I quite liked wonder woman. it was fun and the story progressed well enough to keep you interested. I'm sure I could nit pick certain things but I just went along for the ride. Kinda makes me want to watch the 1st one again.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    The Christmas Chronicles 2 wasn't as good as the first, and the effects seemed to have dipped in quality too, but it was still an enjoying film.

The Princess Switch, with Vanessa Hudgens was also enjoyable. Need to watch the 2nd one.

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Midnight Sky

This was one of those movies where they don't really tell you exactly what the fuck is going on in detail so for the most part I was just into the visuals and the 2 stories that meet in a somewhat predictable yet fascinating way.

Wonder Woman 1984
    I was really into it. Great villains, always have a soft spot for movies that try to capture the magic of the 80's. And how about that end credits scene?

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    I didnt mind Wonder Woman 1984 despite its absurd plot and awful character development it borrowed a lot from the Donner Superman movies.

What I found unforgivable is for a film set in the 80s was no classic 80s music on the soundtrack and I found it weird that she had sex with sine random stranger who was possessed by her dead boyfriends ghost and we were supposed to find this a touching scene.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Sat down and watched Milan last night. Went into it very skeptical, but I greatly enjoyed it. It flew by, the visuals were great, the story was simple, and the lead actress was fantastic. Did not expect to enjoy it so much, but I thought it was a very, very solid film.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Booksmart - A pair of nerdy teen girls decide to get wild for their last night of high school and go to the big party. Fairly formulaic plot and some of the humor is a little cringe but overall, it's cute and amusing with some good laughs and heart.

Spirited Away - Wife and I decided we needed to get caught up on some of the big anime flicks so we started with this one. Reminded me a lot of Alice in Wonderland, very imaginative and lots of crazy characters and situations, a bit hard to follow just what in the hell was going on at times but that did help make it less predictable. Pretty good overall.

My Neighbor Totoro - Now this one was just wonderful. Ours was the most recent English dub and the voice acting was very good. On top of that I was super impressed by how well the two kids were done, animated to move like kids, and behaved like kids. Adorable, joyful, adventurous, and a bit weird (but not as much as SA) but in the best way. Loved it, highly recommend, especially if you're looking for a pick me up these days.

Forgot another one:

Hunt for the Wilderpeople - Charming, funny, lots of heart. Got a little choked at the end. Gorgeous New Zealand setting.
    Last edited by mth; January 4th, 2021 at 10:01 PM.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
    I didnt mind Wonder Woman 1984 despite its absurd plot and awful character development it borrowed a lot from the Donner Superman movies.

What I found unforgivable is for a film set in the 80s was no classic 80s music on the soundtrack and I found it weird that she had sex with sine random stranger who was possessed by her dead boyfriends ghost and we were supposed to find this a touching scene.
    Well it sounded like you did mind it lol. If you overthink this movie that hard, especially your last part about what defines a touching scene (Ever see Ghost and the scene where he inhabits Whoopi's body? That was great!) , then I can see the disgruntled opinion of certain aspects. For me it was mainly the change of origin for Cheetah but 80% of the comic book origins are altered or discarded anyway.

I 100% agree they were lacking with the soundtrack but everything else was on point. Fashion, vehicles, the malls, the logos, etc. It wasn't Stranger Things season 3 but it was better than what Back to the Future II made us believe our future was going to really be those fucking pricks.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Antrum: The Deadliest Movie Ever Made - Horror movie presented within a fake documentary as a movie that'll kill you if you watch it ala The Ring. An interesting gimmick but I think it raises the viewers expectations too high going into it and then kind of over-addresses/exposes everything and sucks some of the impact/effect out at the end. The movie within the movie itself would be better off without the documentary shit bookending it. It's a pretty decent little horror flick with fun audio/visual/editing effects and good creep factor. But then they, so to speak, take the thing from out of the corner of your eye and put it square in front of your face and underline it a dozen times.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wine Country

Enjoyed this. I like these SNL ladies and this was a solid entry from director/producer Amy Poehler. You know what to expect if you know these ladies but as far as tone, they definitely made it less jokey and more just riffing with each other, dialing into their comedic familiarity with one another. A lot of quick edits between dialogue scenes rather than big comedic moments. And it worked well for the most part, I was laughing a lot.
    7/10

Dolomite is My Name

Great to see Eddie in a really good movie again. This was a feel-good underdog story. I didn't know much about the story of Rudy Ray Moore before watching and I liked how he was a hard-working guy trying to break into the entertainment biz in anyway possible - a guy you could root for, along with his buddies. There wasn't much negativity in this movie other than his occasional failings. Wesley Snipes was really funny in his role, definitely off beat for him. It was funny, though again not jokey, but situationally funny especially when Rudy Ray was coming up with the ideas/plans for his movie and then filming it. I want to watch the real Dolomite movie now, or at least some clips of it.
    7.7/10

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watched something called Hollow In The Land. Good story but dragged at times. Seems like they didn't need ninety minutes to do everything that they did. 6/10

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rim of the World

This was pretty good. I think if I was a teenager I'd think it was one of the funniest movies in a grip but since I'm a little older the "mature" humor coming out of these young teen's mouths didn't hit me as hard.

4 kids from 4 different walks of life go to an adventure camp that get caught up in an alien invasion. The highlight for me was this character Dariush, foul mouthed little dude who was in Ride Along and the show Haunted Hathaways that my kids used to watch.

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This might be the last time I invite my cousin to stop over when his power is out. Fucker had me up this morning watching Elves on tubi. That's 90 minutes of my life I can't have back.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone View Post
    This might be the last time I invite my cousin to stop over when his power is out. Fucker had me up this morning watching Elves on tubi. That's 90 minutes of my life I can't have back.
    HAHAHA. I just had to look this up and it definitely sounds like some C-level movie. Not even B movie status just right up there with Troll 2

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    HAHAHA. I just had to look this up and it definitely sounds like some C-level movie. Not even B movie status just right up there with Troll 2
    Aw man it was atrocious. The death scenes were constantly off and it looked like some fucking high school film project with a slightly better budget.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone Good - funny breakup movie with Gina Rodriguez. I thought it was pretty funny, my wife enjoyed it but not as much. The best friends were the best part. Not going to watch it again but I’m glad I saw it. 7/10.

Shot Caller - what a movie. Successful white dude goes to jail on a DUI manslaughter charge and has to join the AB. Turns out he’s good at what he does and rises through the ranks quick. Ends up killing another inmate during a riot and his life is totally changed from there. Gets out and still has to do AB stuff while working on his own plan. Highly recommend it. 8/10.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shot Caller was fantastic. Jamie Lannister killed it in the role.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Marauders - convoluted story about a team of FBI agents tracking a string of bank robberies. The story is kind of out there but the movie was actually pretty good. And it showed me I need a Chris Meloni and Batista buddy cop movie in my life. 7/10.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (2011 american verison)

I saw this already a while back but it was soon after I read the book which almost always hurts my opinion of a movie, so I wanted to re-visit. Definitely better on second viewing. It's a good Fincher flick and the wide stretching story is played out as well as could be except.... I don't care for the ending.

Otherwise it was a solid thriller. Craig and Mara are both quite good. Although the rape scene is rough to watch.

7.8/10

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Little Things......................................I told my friend it was like if they stretched out the first two acts of Criminal Minds into a 2 hour movie. You have essentially three story arcs and only one of them is fleshed out. You never find out half the shit they bring up from anyone not named Denzel lol.

I did hear that Denzel did an interview and when asked about Jared Leto's weird tendencies as a "method actor". Denzel said they had a meeting with Leto and let him know they don't do that shit.

Intercontinental Champion Melly's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Rocky (1976)

It's a classic and I figured I should see it finally. I was surprised to read Sylvester was only 30 at the time. I found Rocky to be really charming and hilarious. For some reason I thought Adrian was a male until I watched. I enjoyed it, it was entertaining and a fun time.

7/10

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing that surprised me when I watched Rocky with my daughter this past summer (before we watched Creed) was how well it holds up today. And how young Stallone looked.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    You going to watch the rest @Melly?

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by 3puppies View Post
    One thing that surprised me when I watched Rocky with my daughter this past summer (before we watched Creed) was how well it holds up today. And how young Stallone looked.
    So two things that surprised you?

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    You going to watch the rest @Melly?
    Are they as good?

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Melly View Post
    Are they as good?
    Two is fun, three is fun, four is their attempt to be political. Five is a trash. Rocky Balboa is very unnecessary.
    Creed is really good, Creed II is pretty good.

Donde esta la biblioteca Pablo Diablo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    That almost sounds to me like you're speaking ill of four.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My mom took my brother and I to see Rocky V and holy shit, we were so inspired by Rocky Jr we were ready to sign up that next morning. Then we snapped out of it but enrolled in tae kwon do and gymnastics class instead. Why? JCVD.

Definitely think 1-4 are the shit. 5 and Balboa, not bad but it's hard when you have so many good movies prior. Creed 1 and 2 are incredible.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo Diablo View Post
    I've already talked about how 4 is good in the WhatsApp chat haha. My stance on the political nature probably didn't get mentioned.

The movie is good but that attempt on their part wasn't really necessary lol.
    The soundtrack for 4 is top notch.

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Hmm. Maybe I'll try a few more.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm. Maybe I'll try a few more.
    It's certainly worth it.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    21 Bridges - Chadwick Boseman plays a cop chasing two cop killers. Decent plot but nothing terribly new. Cops killed might be dirty, cop killers have the evidence so the whole force is after them, etc. Not bad but nothing to watch immediately. 5/10.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BGMaverick View Post
    I've already talked about how 4 is good in the WhatsApp chat haha. My stance on the political nature probably didn't get mentioned.

The movie is good but that attempt on their part wasn't really necessary lol.
    The soundtrack for 4 is top notch.
    Ban yourself.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're a fan of the late 60's early 70's Bruce Lee movies, check out Batman SOUL OF THE DRAGON. One thing DC has on Marvel is the animated movies. Marvel should seriously dive back in to the animated stuff.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany
    If you're a fan of the late 60's early 70's Bruce Lee movies, check out Batman SOUL OF THE DRAGON. One thing DC has on Marvel is the animated movies. Marvel should seriously dive back in to the animated stuff.
    Man I saw the preview to this and it really gave me no desire. Now if you're comparing to Bruce Lee movies well then...

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by virms View Post
    Man I saw the preview to this and it really gave me no desire. Now if you're comparing to Bruce Lee movies well then...
    I have to mention that I am a HUGE Batman fan. Especially when it comes to comics and animation. I'm also digging this reboot DC has done with their animation dept.

So if you see it and it sucks, my apologies. But like I said, it had a strong Enter the Dragon vibe.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany
    I'm a big batman fan as well but the trailer just didn't appeal to me right off the bat.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I'm a big batman fan as well but the trailer just didn't appeal to me right off the bat.
    Nice pun.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    Two is fun, three is fun, four is their attempt to be political. Five is a trash. Rocky Balboa is very unnecessary.
    Creed is really good, Creed II is pretty good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo Diablo View Post
    IV is great...until the end.

I felt Rocky Balboa was necessary because V was indeed trash.

I like the rest.

Not seen either Creed film.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really, really liked both Creed films with the first being better.

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya the Creed movies got better with each time I watched them both. Wasn't so high on 2 the first time but it's great stuff. I hope we get a third from it.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Miracle

This one slipped past me for some reason, which is odd because it's up my alley. Anyway I finally watched it and it lived up to the positive reviews. It was very good and made me feel patriotic. Did it vault into my top 10 sports movies? No, it did not. It wasn't on the level of Remember the Titans (to use a similar example of a Disney sports movie that isn't a fictional kids tale). But it would be in the conversation for my top 20. The kids were really good, as in they seemed like real hockey player kinda guys. And then afterwards when reading on it I learned they cast real players and tried to teach them to act, instead of vice versa, so good on them for the casting.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Red Dot

Swedish film, fun survival thriller with an interesting ending. It was only 1 hr 25 minutes. The netflix version had English dubbed in instead of using the subtitles which I've never seen before. Decent enough. 6/10.

Prospect

Some good acting and atmosphere. It takes place on another planet where the goal is to dig up gems that are worth a fortune. I would probably rate it similar to the above film. 6/10.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Informer:

Overall this was a very good movie. It was nothing terribly original: ex-con turned snitch is caught between the mob he works for and the FBI. When things go south he is forced to go back to prison to take things over for the mob while the FBI attempts to screw him over. He takes things into his own hands to protect his family. Good action, bloody fights. My only complaint was that it lacked a bit of justice for a couple people at the end of the movie but I recommend it. 8/10

Mentioned
    290 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Oh shit, Coming 2 America is on Prime now!!! Said released 5th but I just started it. I hope this doesn't suck, first one is such a classic.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Coming 1 America is one of the all time great comedies. I'm going to watch the new one soon for sure.

Mentioned
    290 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    The first is one of the first times I remember seeing Eddie Murphy. I watched this at my older cousin's house and I was a bit young, probably too young, to be watching. Eddie has that charisma that draws you in and he did me. Older I got the more I could appreciate the movie.

Sort of off topic but Eddie Murphy Raw is still one of the best stand up specials ever.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My favorite actor of all time also has my favorite part in this movie, Samuel L. Jackson.

Also, anyone see MONSTER HUNTER yet? I rented it and I liked it. It was done by the same guy who does the Resident Evil movies and it felt just like the last 3-4 for sure. Down to the fucking industrial rock Twisted Metal 2 sounding soundtrack lol. I'd give it 6/10. I wish I had seen it in the theater.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Booksmart

It's basically the girl version of Superbad. It's not as funny for me but definitely a fun comedy. 7.5/10

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The first half of Booksmart was a lot funnier than the second half.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarrod1983 View Post

Sort of off topic but Eddie Murphy Raw is still one of the best stand up specials ever.
    Eddie was in the zone for that one.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Coming 2 America

I told my best friend it was like Ace Ventura 2 or the latest Dumb and Dumber. It didn't suck, but it wasn't necessary. I liked the fact 90% of the cast from the 1st movie appeared including a certain musical act.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany
    Coming 2 America

I told my best friend it was like Ace Ventura 2 or the latest Dumb and Dumber. It didn't suck, but it wasn't necessary. I liked the fact 90% of the cast from the 1st movie appeared including a certain musical act.
    I've been wanting to watch it just haven't found the time. Probably will watch the 1st one again as I haven't seen it for 10 15 years I bet.

Mentioned
    290 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I've been wanting to watch it just haven't found the time. Probably will watch the 1st one again as I haven't seen it for 10 15 years I bet.
    It hadn't been that long for me but a rewatch before you watch the new one will heighten the enjoyment.

I liked it. I loved the original. The new one has its moments. Semi being called Benson might have stole the movie for me, love Soap. Colin Jost being the Duke & Duke nephew was also a mark out moment. Randolph & Mortimer were smiling someplace I'm sure.

My 12 year old, bless him, says when Akeem and Semi return to the barbershop, "How are all these guys still alive?!?" referring to all the characters in the shop. I laughed and didn't clue him in until the end. Kid just misses details.

Loved the musical act at the end. That boys good!

Bottom line, I've heard a lot of reviews say how bad it was. It wasn't bad at all.
    Last edited by Jarrod1983; March 8th, 2021 at 7:40 PM.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I enjoyed Coming 2 America as well. I told my daughter that it should be seen for what it is. It was not trying to be Citizen Kane 2. Just a good bit of fun.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Coming 2 America didnt need to be made. And probably shouldnt have. Leslie Jones was awesome as shit but this movie lost me when I realized it wasnt going to be Murphy and Hall going to America to search for the son.

Fucking Wesley Snipes stole every scene he was in though.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'Yes, God, Yes' - On Netflix. A high school girl's (Nancy from Stranger Things) coming of age/sexual awakening story while at a super religious school and school retreat. As someone who grew up in a very similar situation, it was incredibly relatable and had a lot of "funny 'cuz it's true" stuff. My particular favorite scene that had me pause the movie 'cuz I was laughing too hard will have me never hear "Shine" by Collective Soul the same way again. Really enjoyed it and definitely recommend. Oh, and for what it's worth, it doesn't shit on religion, either, for anyone who might worry about that, just addresses the guilt/shame that can go along with it.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been on a David Cronenberg kick. Hot damn are his movies nuts. I watched Spider, Dead Zone, and eXistenZ the over the weekend. I have The Brood and Naked Lunch coming up next. I've seen Crash, Dead Ringers, Eastern Promises and History of Violence prior.

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    The Mighty Ducks (1992)
    I haven't seen this since I was a kid. I enjoyed it. It was a fun, light movie.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Inside Man:
    Pretty good film. William Defoe seemed kind of out of place for the type of role he was playing. Jodie Foster was kind of random but interesting. I think I would have liked a little bit more interaction between Clive Owen and Denzel but it was good when they were going back and forth.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've Got Mail

This lived up to the hype as a notable all-time rom-com. I'm not saying it's on my mount rushmore or anything, but it held up well and it was fun getting a glimpse back at America Online. I don't think I've seen Sleepless in Seattle either, so I have no comparison point to the previous work from this group. Regardless, this was solid. I'll score this an 8/10 as a rom-com, and probably a 7/10 overall.

Inside Man:
    Pretty good film. William Defoe seemed kind of out of place for the type of role he was playing. Jodie Foster was kind of random but interesting. I think I would have liked a little bit more interaction between Clive Owen and Denzel but it was good when they were going back and forth.
    I love that flick

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fro View Post

I love that flick
    Could have done a lot worse for a random selection at 10 pm on a Sunday night. It's probably going to get a second viewing from me sometime in the not-so-distant future.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really enjoyed Bad Trip with Eric Andre, Lil Rey Howery, and Tiffany Haddish. Fun set up of hidden camera pranks stitched together, weaving a story about two best friends taking an adventure trip to NY. I found it delightful, crude, but mindlessly entertaining.

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    @Fro, Sleepless In Seattle is a classic. Enjoy!

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3puppies View Post
    I really enjoyed Bad Trip with Eric Andre, Lil Rey Howery, and Tiffany Haddish. Fun set up of hidden camera pranks stitched together, weaving a story about two best friends taking an adventure trip to NY. I found it delightful, crude, but mindlessly entertaining.
    Didn't realize when that was dropping and we scrapped our Netflix the day before. Just planning to take a couple months off from it, though, so looking forward to checking out out when we restore things.

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    The Sandlot (1993)

It was actually better than I remembered. I laughed quite a bit. I was surprised to read that the one kid (Benny) quit acting basically after this movie.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Sandlot (1993)

It was actually better than I remembered. I laughed quite a bit. I was surprised to read that the one kid (Benny) quit acting basically after this movie.

He was a fireman until a couple years ago when he beat someone up and got arrested. I think he did some time.

The Sandlot has one of my all time favorite baseball movie moments: when they play the night game and Ray Charles’ version of America The Beautiful plays. It’s perfection.

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    @BigAl oh wow, well that stinks. I agree, what a great scene, it is so good.

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sandlot is definitely in my top three. At least as far as baseball movies goes.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh man that’s a tough list. It’s definitely Top 5 for me. In no order I’d say: Sandlot, Field of Dreams, Bull Durham, Major League, and A League of Their Own.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Psh Rookie of the Year.

Football manager? Peter Griffin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Godzilla vs Kong - Good

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Donald View Post
    Psh Rookie of the Year.
    Little Big League > Rookie of the Year

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    True story, I had the novelization of Little Big League. Might still have it somewhere actually.

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    Oh man that’s a tough list. It’s definitely Top 5 for me. In no order I’d say: Sandlot, Field of Dreams, Bull Durham, Major League, and A League of Their Own.
    I've only seen The Sandlot.

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Sister Act (1992)
    Whoopi is perfect in this role. It was as funny, if not more, than I remembered as a kid. Some of the sisters were great, I loved the lady with the big voice so much!

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone View Post
    Sandlot is definitely in my top three. At least as far as baseball movies goes.
    Sandlot has grown on me over the years - I think it has aged well.

"The Pride of the Yankees" and "The Natural" are in my top 5.

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    9 To 5 (1980)

I found this pretty entertaining, especially the fantasies of what they would do to him. Dolly, Jane and Lilly are incredible together. Great chemistry.

Mentioned
    290 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Little Big League > Rookie of the Year
    Both are excellent films.

Loved The Wizard and seeing Luke Edwards in Little Big League with a speaking role was fun.

Major League, Little Big League, Rookie of the Year, League of Their Own (Marla Hooch......what a hitter....) and Sandlot were all some of my favs. Angels in the Outfield I watched quite a bit too but haven't seen it in years.

The Fan and Hardball are great baseball flicks too.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Baseball is definitely just one of those sports that lends well to cinema. Field of dreams and Bull Durham, two real old favourites.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Willie's Wonderland. Oh my motherfucking fuck.

Nic Cage is a completely silent badass who has to defeat demonic animatronic monsters in a closed down Chuck E Cheese type place.

It was the dumbest most awesome stupid ass genius movie ever.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I watched Nobody last night. It was pretty good. Just know you're getting a John Wick type movie so suspend your belief a little bit and I don't think you'll be disappointed. RZA and Christopher Lloyd were great in it.

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Just finished "Father Of The Bride" and I loved it. I had seen it before, maybe even a few years ago, but I didn't remember how much I like it. It's sweet and I actually do not mind Steve Martin in this. Shocking.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany
    Did anyone watch Mortal Kombat? I didn't think it was very good overall. I am going to give it the benefit of the doubt it needs to be told in multiple movies from a storyline standpoint but as a stand alone this was pretty silly. Kano stole the show, I had very little sympathy for the main star, already forgot his name and I am pretty sure they just copy cut and pasted the Hulk's CGI design for Goro and just changed him colors and added a set of arms. Not only that but they blew a pretty collective payload on villains imo. I understand Sub Zero will be brought back but just feel like Goro should have been a bit bigger of a deal only to be jobbed out by a newb and his family.

Donde esta la biblioteca Pablo Diablo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    About MK

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mortal Kombat. 7/10. It was good. I didn't really care much about Cole Young but I respect the backstory and how it's going to tie in to other characters and future movies. That's the other thing, coming out the gate knowing that we have 4 more movies (hopefully) made me feel better about the first entry. This felt like it was giving a little bit of everything. Fatalities, nods to other characters, legendary quotes.

Some people online said that a Netflix/HBO Max series would've been a better option and could hopefully happen. They just have so many characters and mythology. What I don't get though-why do these studios think the most popular character (Scorpion) deserves so little time. Reminds me of the GI Joe animated movie from the 80's where Snake Eyes was barely in it. He was in it for like 2 seconds, wtf.

Synchronic. It's on Netflix, I would check it out. Time travel-type movie is the best way to describe it without giving too much away.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    Just finished "Father Of The Bride" and I loved it. I had seen it before, maybe even a few years ago, but I didn't remember how much I like it. It's sweet and I actually do not mind Steve Martin in this. Shocking.
    I don't give a shit, I LOVED these films. My sisters loved them as kids, and I guess I did too. Saw the first one a few years ago and, yeah, brilliant.

Might watch them again.

At the moment though, I'm going through the DC films. So far watched Man of Steel, Batman Vs Superman (the extended version) and Suicide Squad. I agree with some of the criticisms, overly long, the Superman actor being a bit wooden, but I still had fun watching them. Wonder Woman tomorrow.

I saw Aquaman at the cinema and thought it was excellent.

Looking to watching some animated superhero stuff soon. Batman Vs Two Face and Into the Spiderverse are at the top of my list here.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Man of Steel was so awful for me I never checked out Batman vs. Superman or Justice League. Never saw Suicide Squad either, but I thought Aquaman and Wonder Woman were excellent.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Man of Steel was so awful for me I never checked out Batman vs. Superman or Justice League. Never saw Suicide Squad either, but I thought Aquaman and Wonder Woman were excellent.
    I remember you talking about this and I'm actually shocked you haven't gone back and watched the 3 you mentioned not seeing. Especially Justice League. Shit if anything, you and the wife sit down and knock out the Snyder cut.

Midcarder
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watched the original Mortal Kombat before seeing the new one. Definitely liked the new one better.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was younger I had a realistic understanding that technology in film was not going to be able to give us the same level of entertainment as the game. Maybe MK was a victim of a lot of movies in that realm (video games/comic books) where they were just a little too early to pull it off. Imagine if we had a MK movie in 1999. Why didn't we get one for almost 25 years??

Either way it was dope. As it's been said, knowing that we have more movies in the works helped.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Mortal Kombat was alright. Cole Young sucked, I would have rather seen Liu Kang or someone else as the main character. Cole's arcana was lame as hell too. All the ice sets when Subzero showed up were awesome though.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got Netflix back so we watched 'Bad Trip' tonight. Exactly what I expected: good stupid fun. A pretty by the numbers plot to string together a bunk of pranks and gross-out gags that are worth a chuckle with a little bit of heart thrown in. Turn off your brain and enjoy.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mortal Kombat kicked motherfucking ass.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    STOWAWAY

Modern era space movies give me extreme anxiety and this was no different. A very solid cast. If you have 2 hours check it out and it goes by pretty fast after a somewhat slower beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    Mortal Kombat was alright. Cole Young sucked, I would have rather seen Liu Kang or someone else as the main character. Cole's arcana was lame as hell too. All the ice sets when Subzero showed up were awesome though.