Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Movie Review Thread

Mentioned
    290 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudz Mackenzie View Post
    Does Space Jam 2 at least have a Wayne Knight cameo?
    Nope.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw that it does have a Rick and Morty cameo, though, which is weird.

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Snake Eyes was fire. I've always loved GI Joe. The live action movies could've been better, this one is definitely the best of the 3 we've had so far imo. Definitely interested in what other "origin" movies they have lined up.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Melly View Post
    I finally got around much late to watching Saving Private Ryan. Damn WHAT A MOVIE!!
    We saw Saving Private Ryan on its opening weekend, and I remember the buzz leaving the theatre was amazing. The only other movies I have personally experienced that type of immediate positive response were Silence of the Lambs and ET, the Extra Terrestrial. My older sister got to see Jaws on its opening weekend and she tells me that it had a similar reaction. My dad told me the same thing about The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly and when he was a pre-teen, he saw the original King Kong on its opening weekend. When you leave the theater, everyone knows they've just watched something special.

Back then it was legit word of mouth that would mean the difference between a movie being profitable and becoming a blockbuster smash.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3puppies View Post
    We saw Saving Private Ryan on its opening weekend, and I remember the buzz leaving the theatre was amazing. The only other movies I have personally experienced that type of immediate positive response were Silence of the Lambs and ET, the Extra Terrestrial. My older sister got to see Jaws on its opening weekend and she tells me that it had a similar reaction. My dad told me the same thing about The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly and when he was a pre-teen, he saw the original King Kong on its opening weekend. When you leave the theater, everyone knows they've just watched something special.

Back then it was legit word of mouth that would mean the difference between a movie being profitable and becoming a blockbuster smash.
    The end always gets me.

When it hit the theaters my dad asked his dad if he wanted to go see it. My dad had heard that it was one of the most realistic portrayals of Normandy ever filmed, and my grandfather was at Normandy. I'll never forget my grandfather's response. He shook his head and said "it's not that realistic." That was the end of that conversation.
    Last edited by BigAl; July 29th, 2021 at 9:21 AM.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought A Quiet Place 2 was alright. Didn't blow me away as it pretty much just worked a lot of the gags from the first one but it was still worth a watch.

We haven’t become anything — we simply are as we are
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by BGMaverick View Post
    I thought A Quiet Place 2 was alright. Didn't blow me away as it pretty much just worked a lot of the gags from the first one but it was still worth a watch.
    Felt like it was more of a set up for the next film than anything

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    The end always gets me.

When it hit the theaters my dad asked his dad if he wanted to go see it. My dad had heard that it was one of the most realistic portrayals of Normandy ever filmed, and my grandfather was at Normandy. I'll never forget my grandfather's response. He shook his head and said "it's not that realistic." That was the end of that conversation.
    I've heard it's one of the most realistic, but it's also still pretty tame. Probably hard to pass a PG/PG-13 rating if they did it the realist way possible.

My dad's brother was in Vietnam and he said that Platoon was pretty close to how the soldiers acted toward each other and all the shit they had to deal with concerning the environment. He came back from the war and spent a few months naked in his parents attic smoking weed chillin on plastic furniture. I thought they meant like lawn chairs and shit, no, plastic couch, plastic chairs, no clue why.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Old:

Cinematography was really, really good for this. It felt like an extended/highly-produced throwback episode of the The Twilight Zone. Was alright but I wouldn't feel bad if I never saw this in the first place.

Banned
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My only big problem with the "A Quiet Place" movies is, you've got aliens or whatever that only hunt via sound and have exceptionally sharp hearing. But nobody in the interim thought they should try weaponizing sound against them? Just blowing their Goddamn ears off with an overwhelming blare of sound as either a means of escape or hurting them?

Every day should be like the Goddamn Fourth of July in the Quiet Place universe. Light up fireworks constantly to overwhelm and distract the aliens and then move en masse from place to place.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I saw The Green Knight last night. Absolutely wonderful movie. Such a fun take on Arthurian legends.

I don't want to spoil, but I want as many people as possible to see this movie.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sunshine - Had heard about this film and that it was good and maybe an underrated masterpiece and some stuff like that so I decided to give it a look. It was fine but nothing special. Fair amount of sci-fi tropes and I didn't really give a shit about any of the characters. Some nice visuals and effects, though. OK/10

----

Just finished the Fear Street trilogy on Netflix. Absolute crap. Don't waste your time.
    Last edited by mth; August 2nd, 2021 at 11:50 PM.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OUT OF DEATH

Yeah.....I love Bruce Willis but you can 100% tell when he's phoning it in. I watched the movie with him and Edge, Money Plane or whatever the fuck. He had a few lines but man they sucked. Go watch Planet Terror, dude was written into the movie simply for visiting the set and he killed it with a few lines because he knew that movie was the shit.

This movie....Let's just say I rented Wrath of Man as well so this better make up for it. 2/10. Don't even waste your time because it's dumb as fuck.

Mentioned
    290 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Watching new Suicide Squad. Pretty good so far.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Just finished it. Pretty good. Maybe a little longer than necessary.

Make sure you watch the after credits.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    Just finished it. Pretty good. Maybe a little longer than necessary.

Make sure you watch the after credits.
    Definitely longer than it needed to be but still entertaining.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Val

Beautiful and sad look at Val Kilmer's career. Seeing how he is now and what he's been through, it's so heartbreaking.

made me cry buckets. Just wanted to hug him so bad.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VHS View Post
    Val

Beautiful and sad look at Val Kilmer's career. Seeing how he is now and what he's been through, it's so heartbreaking.

made me cry buckets. Just wanted to hug him so bad.
    Have you seen that thing going around social media where people keep saying that what Val Kilmer actually said in Tombstone is "I'm your hucklebearer?" Claiming it's a famously misheard line?

Meanwhile that isn't true. He clearly says "I'm your huckleberry." It's even the title of his fucking autobiography. Yet I've seen this bullshit all over Twitter and tiktok the last few days.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid_Planet View Post
    Have you seen that thing going around social media where people keep saying that what Val Kilmer actually said in Tombstone is "I'm your hucklebearer?" Claiming it's a famously misheard line?

Meanwhile that isn't true. He clearly says "I'm your huckleberry." It's even the title of his fucking autobiography. Yet I've seen this bullshit all over Twitter and tiktok the last few days.
    Fuckin amateurs.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Suicide Squad - Nothing life changing but a good fun time. Certainly an improvement over the 2016 flick. King Shark is my dude. Probably give it a 7/10.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Went to “Free Guy” tonight; it was pretty freaking solid, Ryan Reynolds is a goddamn Canadian treasure.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea Suicide Squad was solid. James Gunn knows what he’s doing and it’s nice to have R-rated comic movies like this or Deadpool - they stand out against the typical PG-13 ones. Lots of blood and guts and gory kills in this. Fun stuff. Idris Elba was great. Cena was okay- I’m not his biggest fan in general. He’s always seemed pretty bland and block headish.

7.8/10

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mth View Post
    The Suicide Squad - Nothing life changing but a good fun time. Certainly an improvement over the 2016 flick. King Shark is my dude. Probably give it a 7/10.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fro View Post
    Yea Suicide Squad was solid. James Gunn knows what he’s doing and it’s nice to have R-rated comic movies like this or Deadpool - they stand out against the typical PG-13 ones. Lots of blood and guts and gory kills in this. Fun stuff. Idris Elba was great. Cena was okay- I’m not his biggest fan in general. He’s always seemed pretty bland and block headish.

7.8/10
    I definitely enjoyed this one more than the first.

James Gunn's Troma history shined in this one. I was pretty shocked with the level of gore but it was slick. It had a Deadpool 2 vibe going. I'll definitely watch it a few more times for sure.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had a bit of insomnia last night and stumbled across a movie called "Spare Room". I really enjoyed this, particularly the acting by Skylar Samuels.

Spare Room (imdb.com)

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RUNNING WITH THE DEVIL

Terrible. Even for a Redbox rental. I thought with the cast it had it might be something but the movie was lame as fuck.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vacation Friends - Saw John Cena plugging this on his recent media rounds and I like Lil Rel Howery, the wife wanted to give it a look, too, and it has about a 65% average review which is shit but whatever, comedy is subjective. Anyway, yeah, that 65% is about right if not a bit generous. It was generic AF, hits all the beats you would expect, formulaic as all hell, not really anything that was laugh out loud funny, just a smirks and chuckles is about it. Having said that, the cast is likeable and it's moderately amusing but I wouldn't recommend anyone really bother. The YouTube show we watched afterwards was much funnier.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Malignant

100% worth checking out. Clever, I dug the pace, the right balance of gore. There was action which caught me by surprise.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't watched it just yet so I'll probably edit this post later but I just rented Night of the ANIMATED Dead at Redbox. Love Romero, so I hope this does his legacy justice.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I watched The Guilty and didn't like it that much. Maybe something got lost in translation.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watched Alien: Covenant last week. I did not enjoy it much.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watched Alien: Covenant last week. I did not enjoy it much.
    I dig all these Alien movies, including the Predator crossovers. Covenant was good but it wasn't as good as others. Since someone has to be at the bottom I would put this at the bottom of the Alien movies.

I was actually more intrigued by Covenant after finding out Danny McBride helped write it. Just like Jordan Peele I forget that just because someone is known for comedy doesn't mean that's all they can do.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watched The Guilty and didn't like it that much. Maybe something got lost in translation.
    I'm going to check it out because of who's in it but to me, the previews reminded me of the Halle Berry movie WWE put out years ago. That's solely based on the Netflix preview I saw the other night.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just watched The Rocketeer. Pretty sure I haven't seen it since I saw it in theater as a kid. It was ok. I don't really watch a lot of movies in the vein of Disney family-friendly drama with a splash of comedy with a rousing cinamatic score and whatnot so it was kind of a nice change of pace.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Graduate (1967)

I had never seen this before, and I thought it was pretty mediocre. Hoffman's performance was not great. He spits out his lines like a monotonous awkward stiff. Also not that this is a big deal, but he's a 30 year old playing a 20 year old in this movie, and he looks 30. The story is solid enough but the turn in the movie where he's taking out the daughter (because he has no choice) and is stonewalling her, but then she gets upset and they go get burgers, then he somehow falls in love with her.... I felt that turn happened out of nowhere and the writing was weak. There was no chemistry between he and the daughter or anything cute that happened which justified him being like "oh now I'm in love with the one person I can't be in love with". It was just like, hey we're eating burgers and having a short conversation... okay now I'm in love with you and the 2nd half of the movie can commence.

I can see why this movie was so popular in the 60s (I presume because movies kinda stunk back then in general) but I don't think it holds up well. This would not be worthy of being on a list of best rom-coms or best dramatic comedies IMO.

Mr. Feeny as the snobby father was cool, though.

The Simon and Garfunkel soundtrack is good/classic too but I didn't find the music editing to be all that great. They kind of just kept using the same songs again and again during transition scenes.
    Last edited by Fro; October 7th, 2021 at 11:17 AM.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Premise and cinematography for Malignant was pretty good but one particular scene near the end veered off into an action movie. That was kind of jarring lol. Think they could have chopped off a good 10-20 minutes of the story and it would have been a bit better.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just watched "Good on Paper" the other night on NetFlix. I had no idea what it was going to be about, and it was kinda fun. Later found out it was mostly based on a true story.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

This review makes me want to watch the movie.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's good, because the trailer certainly doesn't.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ukraine
    Can we not have anything good anymore?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    I thought the trailer looked really really good.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Fro View Post
    That's good, because the trailer certainly doesn't.
    Because it doesn't reveal every plot point of the movie making it pointless to watch it? I like that aspect. It has gotten some good reviews too. Nypost gave it 4.5/5. Deadline liked it. IGN gave it a 9.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Halloween Kills:

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank God that article is in the minority. Nobody really gives 2 shits about the 2006 Ghostbusters because everyone saw it for what it was. The only reason to go see it is for the cameos. The new one looks dope.

Halloween Kills was really good as well. I'm a big big fan of the Halloween series. It's my #2 right below Elm St.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Saw “No Time To Die” last night, a very solid movie and shocking ending. Would definitely recommend.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I watched Old.

It's not very good. Horrid dialogue. Terrible child actors. M. Night himself has a small role. There's worse ways to kill 2 hours I guess.

As for the tweest.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife and I watched Dune over the weekend. I found it okay, and well acted, certainly better than the 1984 version by David Lynch. Visually this was stunning, but the sound was so completely overdone - they went from loud background music to inaudible mumbling dialogue to try to make a dull first half of a movie seem more interesting than it was.

Since this was only the first half, and it'll be a couple years before the next one, I keep thinking I may have been better off waiting until the second half comes out, then watching them together over a weekend.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've rented quite a few movies over the last few weeks.

Old
    Free Guy
    Joe Bell
    Injustice
    Don't Breathe 2

I recommend them all. Especially Joe Bell and Don't Breathe 2. If you liked Wreck It Ralph, you'll dig Free Guy.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3puppies View Post
    My wife and I watched Dune over the weekend. I found it okay, and well acted, certainly better than the 1984 version by David Lynch. Visually this was stunning, but the sound was so completely overdone - they went from loud background music to inaudible mumbling dialogue to try to make a dull first half of a movie seem more interesting than it was.

Since this was only the first half, and it'll be a couple years before the next one, I keep thinking I may have been better off waiting until the second half comes out, then watching them together over a weekend.
    I like director Dennis Villenenenavue, but yeah that's kind of his thing. Gorgeous visuals, subdued talking.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Candyman

I definitely recommend the new one. I'm a huge fan of the original, the others that followed weren't that great and this one makes up for those lame sequels. Some folks thought it was a remake, it's not. 9/10

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    Candyman

I definitely recommend the new one. I'm a huge fan of the original, the others that followed weren't that great and this one makes up for those lame sequels. Some folks thought it was a remake, it's not. 9/10
    funny you say that. I just watched the original for the first time last night. do you recommend skipping the two sequels and watch the the new one first?

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PurePlayer View Post
    funny you say that. I just watched the original for the first time last night. do you recommend skipping the two sequels and watch the the new one first?
    Yes. This movie basically picks up 30 years after the first one.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I've only seen Camdyman Farewell to the Flesh

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Watched Elf last night, it's been a long time. It was good. It's on HBOMax.

Zooey Deschanel looks weird with blonde hair and no bangs.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I've only seen Camdyman Farewell to the Flesh
    Because you hate life? lol

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    Because you hate life? lol
    Yes

Champ is Gone
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw Ghostbusters Afterlife and weirdly the worst part is when the Ghostbusters showed up. I liked the movie a lot.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ukraine
    Red Notice isn't that great. Wastes its talented cast with a basic plot.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Candyman was good. Didn't love the cutting away from the kills though. Way too much of that but otherwise it's worth watching.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid_Planet View Post
    Candyman was good. Didn't love the cutting away from the kills though. Way too much of that but otherwise it's worth watching.
    I liked Candyman, but eh. I really only enjoyed the last 10 minutes or so. It felt like 90% of the movie was Anthony trying to solve a mystery that we the audience already knew. Like we were waiting for the Candyman stuff to start happening, but even when it did it was pretty meh except for the last few moments of the film. The cinematography is absolutely gorgeous though.

Also, I think Yahya is a terribly overrated actor. He just seems so wooden in everything that he does and says.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PS, I really did love the end credits which is not too common these days. Just those little puppet stories opened up so much possibility and lore for the Candyman story. The idea that anyone could enter the form of Candyman from racism and oppression is cool.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Watched Jingle All The Way last night. I think that was my first time not watching it on a VHS tape. It looks good in HD. The movie is ridiculous but holds up pretty well besides Arnold flying around at the end. Phil Hartman is amazing and it's a shame what happened to him.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I blame Andy Dick.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just watched Dredd. I did not like it.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I just watched Dredd. I did not like it.
    Don't judge.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Randolph View Post
    Red Notice isn't that great. Wastes its talented cast with a basic plot.
    Co-signed. As a huge Rock mark, it pains me to admit that.

Mentioned
    290 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Watched Jingle All The Way last night. I think that was my first time not watching it on a VHS tape. It looks good in HD. The movie is ridiculous but holds up pretty well besides Arnold flying around at the end. Phil Hartman is amazing and it's a shame what happened to him.
    Love Phil Hartman. Guy was so talented. It's a shame we didn't get him killing it in all sorts of movies for the last twenty plus years.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Jungle Cruise was a horrible film.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The new Paranormal Activity movie wasn't too bad. Seemed too much like a Blair Witch movie with the documentary-type approach but still decent enough of a watch.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I liked Red Notice. I have no expectations it would be any good but I was pleasantly surprised. Reynolds got on my nerves a bit towards the end but I overall it was fun. Plus I'd watch Gal Gadot stare at a wall for two hours just to see her on screen. Sure the plot was a little formulaic but not everything I watch needs to be an Oscar worthy film. It was a fun way to spend two hours.

Intercontinental Champion Melly's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada

I found this really fascinating and horrifying at the same time.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Coming to America (1988): A pretty much flawless comedy. An all time classic. Eddie's run in the 80s was as good as it gets. I re-watched this for probably the 10th time because I was getting ready to watch the sequel. 9.8/10

--------

Coming 2 America (2021): I liked it and thought it was a worthwhile sequel. Obviously I went into it knowing it wouldn't touch the original. I mean shit, this is 33 years later and Eddie hasn't been making classic comedies for a good 20 years. Also I had seen the mediocre reviews. But I was glad I watched it. As a giant fan of the original it made me happy seeing the gang back together again, and they brought back just about everyone you would want.

Leslie Jones and Tracy Morgan were good. I don't always love Jones but she was good here. The Colin Jost scene was pretty funny as well.

Eddie and Arsenio still have it. I mean idk when the last time I saw Aresenio on screen (probably the "why didn't you tell me how good the cheese was" skit) but he was on point. Eddie is chunkier than he was in his 20s ago but otherwise he looks great and still has the charm. I mean considering that it's been 33 damn years, this was an impressive showing. Idk if "blacks don't crack" is considered racist but this movie is good proof of it. If you made a comedy sequel 33 years later with white people it would be a different story.

The writing was good enough, albeit shaky at times. But hey it's a silly comedy, what do you expect. The plot was a little nontraditional in that there wasn't a main conflict or antagonist. You had the reverse situation of the original with the kid from Queens being the fish out of water in Zamunda and you had the princess who deserved the crown. These characters were at odds with each other despite both being protagonists. You had Eddie coming to terms with being his own king and not following the conservative ways of his father, with a feminist theme in there. And then you had Wesley Snipes as a very goofy antagonist from the rival country. His scenes were probably the corniest of the whole movie and the resolution to his plot was not well explained.

Overall it was a mediocre but still very fun reunion and I'm happy they made it. 6.8/10

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Impractical Jokers: The Movie - I absolutely love the show but this movie was a real disappointment. I wish they'd done it more like the Jackass flicks where it's just a bunch of pranks on a bigger budget but instead they had to add on a plot and non-prank scenes to drive things along and that stuff was all pretty weak. None of the pranks were above anything they do on the show, either, and I was surprised they thought some of it was really movie-grade material. The job interview and the broken down car ones were pretty good and far and away the best stuff in the movie but still pretty much what you'd see on any episode of the TV show.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Impractical Jokers: The Movie - I absolutely love the show but this movie was a real disappointment. I wish they'd done it more like the Jackass flicks where it's just a bunch of pranks on a bigger budget but instead they had to add on a plot and non-prank scenes to drive things along and that stuff was all pretty weak. None of the pranks were above anything they do on the show, either, and I was surprised they thought some of it was really movie-grade material. The job interview and the broken down car ones were pretty good and far and away the best stuff in the movie but still pretty much what you'd see on any episode of the TV show.
    Those were definitely the best ones.

I watched Unhinged and The Guilty over the weekend. Good acting from Russell Crowe and Jake Gyllenhaal, respectively. Thought Unhinged exceeded expectations and The Guilty had a decent swerve (bro).

Mentioned
    328 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Defrost View Post
    I saw Ghostbusters Afterlife and weirdly the worst part is when the Ghostbusters showed up. I liked the movie a lot.
    I was searching to see if anybody else reviewed this and have to agree for the most part.
    Last edited by Badger; December 22nd, 2021 at 10:37 PM.

Champ is Gone
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I kinda loved The Matrix Resurrections

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Matrix Resurrections: I went into it with modest expectations and it didn't disappoint in that sense but realizing what they could have done, it left a lot of meat on the bone. Can't say it's great, can't say it's unenjoyable.

Last edited by BGMaverick; December 23rd, 2021 at 2:30 AM.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife and I watched "The Old Guard" on Netflix. I thought it was terrific - Charlize Theron and KiKi Layne are great to watch, and this more than delivers as an action flick as well as a morality story.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ukraine
    No Laurence Fishburne is a deal-breaker for me. I'll wait when it comes out on video

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not going to go into WHY, but Spider Man was 11/10. I'll be checking out the new Matrix this weekend. Part of me wants to see it on the big screen so we'll see how the next couple days pan out and if I break down and watch it. I just banged out the last 2 to get my mind right.

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    The Mistle-Tones

So cheesy. Very much a Pitch Perfect rip off. Still kinda fun? 6/10

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Matrix 4 seemed like… fan fiction Matrix. Flat out stinker.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See I love the Matrix. But I only "love" the first one. I think its the kind of story that gets worse as you tell more of it.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It

Quick background: The Conjuring 1 is one of my all time favorite horror movies, but I didn't like the 2nd one with the nun demon too much.

The third one was a return to form IMO. I liked it a lot. The 1st one is still the best but this was pretty strong. Good story and I liked how there was a human villain.

Score: 8/10

I read up on the real "Devil Made Me Do It case" after watching. Interesting stuff. I don't think I believe the story tole by the Arne Johnson and the Warrens, but it's cool how this movie is based on a real (probably fabricated) story. The Warrens are probably bullshit artists IRL, but I love them in this movie series. They are the shit. I hope they continue this series even if they write brand new material instead of basing it on Warren cases.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m from the Brookfield area and the only person I’ve ever talked to who thought this case wasn’t 100% bullshit was my ex MIL. She swears it’s true, but that’s probably only so she can blame her shitty parenting on the devil.

When I was in high school I helped my girlfriend’s guardian do some reno work at his club and the Warrens showed up one day, asked to see the basement, took a couple pictures, and then announced that no one should go into the basement because it was haunted by a succubus. The dude I was working for couldn’t stop laughing as they left.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Matrix Resurrections was trash. Way too focused on being meta.

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    We watched Elf (2003) and I liked it a lot more the first time. Still cute.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Matrix Resurrections was trash. Way too focused on being meta.
    I'm proud you actually watched it considering how you feel about people like the Wachowskis.

I'll say this...I started watching it last night and passed out about halfway through. Wound up getting some wild flu bug so I'm going to try and watch it again tonight.

You say it was too meta, I say it was too much like Grandma's Boy.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I like Grandma's Boy. JP could have saved The Matrix.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rewatched a couple flicks I liked back when I was a teen so I thought Id' give 'em another look:

Powder - Well, the fact that it was written/directed by a convicted child molester kind of puts a big ol' stink on the whole thing and colored a few scenes very differently. Other than that, it also felt like it was trying really hard to be deep, profound Oscar bait. There were still some aspects I liked but overall, eeeehhhh...

Deep Rising - It's super dumb but kind of fun. I remember thinking the SFX were more impressive back in the day.

And then we dialed up Ernest Saves Christmas. i was big into Ernest as a little kid and remember watching his flicks with my late pops. It was decent. Would like to rewatch some more from the franchise.

And then as Melly mentioned above, we watched Elf which I had never seen before. I can see why other folks like it, it's fine, but I did not care for it. Not saying I hated it, I was indifferent.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Deep Rising is a classic.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember David Spade once saying that as a child he was a cross between Lucas and Powder.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We watched a couple horror flicks last night to get to midnight...

Underwater - Starring Kristin Stewert, it's kind of like Alien but at the bottom of the ocean. If you don't like water or claustrophobic bits, it'll do the trick. Hits the basic beats and doestn't stray too far from the "small group stranded in the smashed up station in the middle of nowhere with constant impending death picking them off" standard horror/sci-fi tropes but I thought it got pretty good when
    I'm not saying it's anything special but I feel like it's well worth a watch if you like the type of flicks it's derivative of.

The Invisible Man - The recent one from 2020. Lady was in an abusive relationship with a dude who can turn invisible but no one believes her when she gets out. Genuinely creepy 'cuz you're always looking for signs of the invisible dude. Shit ramps up and gets pretty intense with a couple genuinely shocking moments. Definitely recommend it.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw Underwater. Felt like some of the story got left on the cutting room floor but it was fun as hell.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Slumber Party Massacre - Dumb fun slasher from the 80s. Nothing special but you get what you'd expect.

Slumber Party Massacre II - Wow, they made some choices for this sequel. Bad choices. Tried to rip-off Nightmare on Elm Street with the dream aspect but with this weird rockabilly dude as their Freddy and also crammed a bunch of rockabilly music in it. It's a real swing and a miss. You might enjoy it because of that.

Slumber Party Massacre (2021) - Remake that goes with the original's original intention of being satirical. Flips the script on a lot of the tropes and that might rub some folks the wrong way (I don't want politics, I just want entertainment!1) but I thought it made for some pretty funny and clever bits. Lots of references/Easter eggs to the other two. Fun stuff, best of the three.

I guess there's a Slumber Party Massacre III but apparently it's the worst and doesn't seem to be referenced in this new one, either, and it wasn't on Crave so whatever.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just Saw The Medium 2021 last night.

Really excellent found footage/faux doc/Asian horror. Only down side is, like all Asian horror, it's too long. But did keep ramping it up as it went along towards it's very intense and dark ending.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I banged out a few movies this weekend.

The Guilty-Not bad. I'd give it a 7/10. It was one of those movies that kept you interested but never really got out of 2nd gear.

Wind River-Literally stumbled across this on Netflix as well. 2017 release, Jeremy Renner and Elizabeth Olson trying to solve a rape/murder on an Indian reservation. Really good movie, 8/10. Jeremy Renner is someone who I slept on hard for no reason at all-still haven't seen Hurt Locker for some reason. But damn he is good in literally every single movie/show I've seen him in.

Revenger-Yeah I was on Netflix a lot this weekend lol. This movie was bad as fuck! 8/10. Guy comes to a remote island to seek out the man who killed his wife and daughter only this island is like the Condemned with a bunch of crazy motherfuckers. Pretty non-stop asses getting kicked by Bruce Khan.

Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Wind River is something I need to watch because Taylor Sheridan is the fucking man.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did a quick wiki on him and it makes sense that he did this and created Yellowstone and some of the other movies he's been a part of. My boss was just telling me today I need to watch Yellowstone but we'll see. I have about 900 other shows to watch.