Results 1,001 to 1,100 of 1661

Thread: Movie Review Thread

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mth View Post
    The trailers for that Firestarter were very off putting to me.
    I never saw them, so I'm not sure. It doesn't drag, so I'll give it that.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BGMaverick View Post
    I never saw them, so I'm not sure. It doesn't drag, so I'll give it that.
    It's 'cuz they're all like "YOU'RE A SUPERHERO!" to the girl and it seemed like they were trying to capitalize on the popularity of superhero flicks and frame it as a superhero origin story or whatever and it came across as that plus like a YA Twilight/Divergent/etc.-type thing, too.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I haven't seen the movie, but I would have made a trailer of the girl setting things on fire, causing chaos, blowing shit up or whatever, all while the Prodigy's Firestarter played.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hell yeah.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's 'cuz they're all like "YOU'RE A SUPERHERO!" to the girl and it seemed like they were trying to capitalize on the popularity of superhero flicks and frame it as a superhero origin story or whatever and it came across as that plus like a YA Twilight/Divergent/etc.-type thing, too.
    they loosely mentioned that ideology but it never really came remotely close to the forefront of the theme of the movie. It was just a family having to go on the run to protect themselves.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    X was really good. Took 30 minutes too long to get going though.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    “Top Gun: Maverick” was awesome, particularly special on the big screen.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
    “Top Gun: Maverick” was awesome, particularly special on the big screen.
    everyone seems to be raving about it

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Top Gun: Maverick is everything you’d hope it would be and more. Cruise is out here, doing everything he can to bring a banger of a movie. He even has an intro video before the movie starts, thanking people for coming and promising that they did everything they could to make this a good movie and a movie to be seen in the theater. The movie kind of works like a referendum on the state of movies now and the state of Cruise, and it’s even sprinkled in during parts of the dialogue within the movie. This isn’t groundbreaking cinema, but this is a movie that was made in part to help keep Cruise going and keep putting butts in movie theaters. This movie should serve both of those masters well.

The opening bit of the movie is like the production team is hugging you and saying this is Top Gun, but we’re hear to tell you a story too. A lot of the dialogue surrounding this says that you don’t have to watch the first movie to watch this one and that’s certainly true. This stands on its own, but you certainly get a lot of gratifying moments (even touching ones) if you watched the first one. It’s a sequel but it’s also a tuneup on the premise of the original.

The casting was very good and all of the key players hit their marks.

This movie is like a roller coaster in the sense you want to get back on the ride immediately after it is over.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Top Gun: Maverick is tremendous. The flying sequences are incredible and I'm so glad that they managed to keep some great moments from the third act out of the trailers.

I've gotten pretty jaded when it comes to cinema's increasing obsession with nostalgia. This film does it right. It's bookended by scenes which immediately take you back to the 1980s and give you exactly what you want if you're a fan of the first film. But instead of a rehash, the film stands on its own and improves on what came before. Maverick is a much more complex and emotional character, struggling with his past and aware that he has no future. The mission plot has all the hallmarks of a classic heist film where the plans are shown, spoken about and meticulously practised. There are funny scenes and genuinely poignant moments. And the action is truly visceral. The scope and scale reminds me of Fury Road - you feel like you're watching a milestone in action cinema.

When I was talking to someone about the film, I couldn't help but think about Cobra Kai and how successful it has been in revitalising its own 80s heritage. Top Gun is also unafraid of being earnest, relatively simple and straightforward in its plotting and characterisation and mindful that it needs to deliver punch-the-air triumphs and feel-good moments. The ending may have familiar beats, but I left the cinema on such a high. Like Fury Road, Avengers: Infinity War and Mission Impossible: Fallout, I came out feeling that I had watched something executed to near perfection. Cruise likened this film to hitting a bullet with another bullet and he was bang on target here.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to hear Maverick is good! Was cautious since the director's track record has been meh from beautiful visuals but bland direction. Can't wait to see this.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mozambique
    I was not anticipating Maverick to be remotely good, but all I've heard are positive reviews from friends and online strangers alike. I had no interest in seeing it and now I am anxious to see it as soon as I can haha.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Braveheart. Classic. It’s like game of thrones but real. Except not real because it’s very historically inaccurate but who cares.
    9.5/10

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I have Braveheart on DVD but have never seen it Perhaps I should track down my DVD box and watch it.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I have Braveheart on DVD but have never seen it Perhaps I should track down my DVD box and watch it.
    I watched it on Amazon Prime so if you have that you could watch it there (for now).

As I said it's basically a 3 hour game of thrones-type story without the dragons and wizards, and it's very good. Violence, killings, betrayals, etc. Worth a watch especially if you like the idea of a medieval Scottish revolution against the dastardly British.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Would probably find this funnier too after watching Braveheart.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's based in legend and in some historical context as well but I really really love Braveheart. It's nearly a perfect movie.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid_Planet View Post
    It's based in legend and in some historical context as well but I really really love Braveheart. It's nearly a perfect movie.
    Movie kickstarted my lifelong crush on Sophie Marceau.

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You Won't Be Alone: Weird as fuck but I really enjoyed it. Probably watch it a 2nd time since it's subtitled but damn it was weird. Best way I can describe it. 8/10.

On Peacock FYI

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Edit

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid_Planet View Post
    Jackass forever had SO MANY DICKS. I mean I'm a fan and I get it but dear God...the dicks.
    Jackass 4.5 has even more. That said, it was funny. The blindfold race was pretty funny.

Mentioned
    498 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Echoing Top Gun: Maverick.

I was definitely in the target demographic for the movie (I was wearing a "Because I was inverted" tee that day). I kind of expected a fun thrill ride. Got a full-on excellent movie.

Mrs. Mazer went as well. She didn't really know Top Gun. I gave her that plot synopsis on the way to the film. She loved it. Haven't talked to one person who didn't at least enjoy.

Also had this fun dialogue after explaining the first movie:

Mrs. M: his girlfriend sounds kind of terrible

M: yes, she is secretly one of the worst girlfriends in the history of cinema. Probably even worse than the girlfriend from Hoosiers.

Mrs. M: So why did they get back together?

M: She was hot, and there were probably not of options on base. There really wasn't a lot of exposition on their relationship.

Mrs. M: I hope he dumped her.

She was relieved in the first minutes when I told her that Jennifer Connolly was not the first girlfriend.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazer View Post
    She was relieved in the first minutes when I told her that Jennifer Connolly was not the first girlfriend.
    Mitchell upgraded, for sure.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jackass 4.5 has even more. That said, it was funny. The blindfold race was pretty funny.
    Just watched 4.5 and was thinking of making the same post. I guess some of us are just more acclimated to them. Dark Shark's skydiving was probably the best part of 4.5 for me. I heard there's new stuff in the works, which I'm glad to hear. I could watch Jackass stuff all day.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just watched 4.5 and was thinking of making the same post. I guess some of us are just more acclimated to them. Dark Shark's skydiving was probably the best part of 4.5 for me. I heard there's new stuff in the works, which I'm glad to hear. I could watch Jackass stuff all day.
    Dark Shark is a trip. That was definitely a worth closing skit for this. There were ones in this one I liked more than Forever. Guess it's good they just film so much so they have plenty to work with.

Mentioned
    498 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mitchell upgraded, for sure.

Right?

If Goose died, Connolly is supportive while he works through it. She would never pull the "Goose has been dead a whole week, and you're still not over it! Time for me to leave you, Pete Mitchell". "Wait, you did all the work yourself, saved the USS Lampley, and are a combat hero....OK, I'm back"

Fucking Charly....

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Northman:
    It was really good. Problem is, I was pretty fuckin high and fell asleep at the very very end. If you're into those kind of movies, check it out.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Crimes of the Future was ok. Felt like nothing happened though. Perhaps this is better in a at-home viewing experience rather than the big screen

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Evil Dead 2

Watched this last night. I've seen this probably 200 times in the last decade so multiple that by 4 and you probably have the real number. This was actually the last of the original trilogy that I saw with AOD being 1st. But my older friends would always talk about it, how funny and over the top it was. In the late 90's a local vid store went under and I bought all 3 on VHS for like $5.

What I like about Evil Dead 2 is that you can tell they had an actual budget but it wasn't anything special. I can definitely see the influence this movie had, I can definitely see why people thought it was more of a horror comedy. Army of Darkness was definitely more like this than the 1st one. The Evil Dead is arguably my favorite movie, it always bounces between this, They Live, and The Crow. But Evil Dead 2 is right up there in the top 10-20 for me.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    This might sound weird, me being a huge horror fan and all, but I've never seen Evil Dead, Evil Dead II, or Army of Darkness. I have seen the remake however and I fully enjoyed that. Perhaps it's time to watch the originals.

Just not a big Raimi fan. I found Spider-Man to be awful, never bothered to check out 2 or 3 because of it. Drag Me To Hell was probably the most disappointed I was in seeing a movie. Well maybe that's Paranormal Activity.

However I do enjoy Darkman.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This might sound weird, me being a huge horror fan and all, but I've never seen Evil Dead, Evil Dead II, or Army of Darkness. I have seen the remake however and I fully enjoyed that. Perhaps it's time to watch the originals.

Just not a big Raimi fan. I found Spider-Man to be awful, never bothered to check out 2 or 3 because of it. Drag Me To Hell was probably the most disappointed I was in seeing a movie. Well maybe that's Paranormal Activity.

However I do enjoy Darkman.
    I barely remember most of the things people talk about but I always remember that little fact about you. The fact you've seen the remake, and you're a big fan of all these classics just blows my fucking mind lol. You're close to my age, in almost 4 decades how have you not found time??????

WITH THAT SAID

I finally watched the original Maniac. One of my best friends was on a horror podcast and they just kept mentioning it. I've had the remake with Elijah Wood on my Prime list for about a year. The premise is disturbing, serial killer scalping women. Tom Savini does the gore and even has a small role. I would definitely recommend this if you're into late 70's early 80's B-movies. 7/10.

I also watched a movie on Netflix with Jean-Claude Van Damme called WE DIE YOUNG. Great Alice In Chains song. Not your typical JCVD movie. He plays a war veteran who was injured and can't speak. It mainly centers around these young Mexican kids involved in a gang and JCVD is kind of thrown in the middle trying to protect them. It wasn't that bad, I'd give it a 5/10. Might've been a 7 if they had some helicopter kicking.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watched another classic last night. CHINATOWN.

What's funny is that I remember when I was like 12-13 seeing that movie The Two Jakes on like HBO or something, having no clue it was a sequel to another movie. Ton of people have praised Chinatown and I can see. Great noir style film lead by Jack Nicholson directed by Charles Manson's favorite director Roman Polanski. Soundtrack was on point, story was WILD.

I'm making it a point to go back and watch some of the classics that came out in the 50's-70's. Shout out to HBO Max as they have quite a few that I've never taken the time to watch.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Saw The Fog (1980) for the first time tonight. Loved the shout outs to prior collaborators as well as frequent Carpenter actors. What a fantastic soundtrack. Brilliant stuff all around.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I forgot to mention I watched Ambulance. That was pretty good. I definitely recommend it especially if you're into those wild ass action movies. Michael Bay directed it so you know it has some good action scenes. Not super over the top like a Transformers movie but it gets the job done.

Last night I finally saw the movie Hurt Locker. Great movie, I can see why it gets the praise it does. I haven't really watched too many movies based on wars over the last 20-30 years. But seeing the Hawkeye and Falcon pre-Avengers was pretty sweet.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was hoping Morbius would be at the Redbox but it was checked out. So I picked up a movie that had me curious.

"X"

This was better than expected. I immediately had Rob Zombie House of 1,000 Corpses vibes. It's set in the late 70's I believe and they did a good job of having that grimy look and feel of that era, just like Rob pulled off with House. It was a weird movie, but really good. I dig the plot. A group goes out to make a porn on an old couple's farm in their guest house and the shit hits the fan from there.

8/10. It had no business being this good.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    X was amazing. Saw it twice in theaters. I might have to buy the Blu Ray

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FYI: A prequel was made at the same time of production for X.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't even know it was in the theaters so that's pretty awesome you saw it twice--considering you can't even sit down and watch Evil Dead, Evil Dead II, and Army of Darkness..............You're on my naughty list until you accomplish these goals. Jesus Christ just watch the first one and get back to me.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    I didn't even know it was in the theaters so that's pretty awesome you saw it twice--considering you can't even sit down and watch Evil Dead, Evil Dead II, and Army of Darkness..............You're on my naughty list until you accomplish these goals. Jesus Christ just watch the first one and get back to me.
    The Evil Dead is streaming on Tubi, so I'll watch it next Monday. I took a day off of work to do nothing so I'll have the time!

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Evil Dead is streaming on Tubi, so I'll watch it next Monday. I took a day off of work to do nothing so I'll have the time!
    Yep on their about to be gone list lol. I was just on it last night watching Freddy's Nightmares.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lightyear
    Good movie. I took my 11 year old daughter to it and she seemed to like it. I've heard nothing but good things from people I know that went and saw it. I always forget that Toy Story came out in like 1995 so it covers a lot of age groups. My parents are in their 60's and want to go see it.

The Contractor
    This was actually pretty good. Chris Pine, Kiefer Sutherland, Ben Foster...that's a solid roster. I'm not super high on Chris Pine but I have literally only seen him in the Wonder Woman movies, that's it. Overall not bad, worth rental.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Morbius

This was a movie I wish I hadn't seen all the hate prior to watching. There was just so much of it and being a big Morbius fan as a youth I was like, could be that bad? I mean I have a pretty high tolerance for video game/comic book movies that get shit on. I wouldn't put Morbius on the list of Green Lantern and Double Dragon lol. I even read that it was like the 16th lowest rank super hero movie of all time and I thought wow, what were the other FIFTEEN?? lol.

It feels like Morbius will be better received alongside others. Once he's in the mix more in that SSU (Sony Spider-Man Universe) with Venom, Blade, etc. I think it'll be pretty dope.

But I understood all the complains. The weird CGI, the meh story, but honestly I thought it was going to be much worse. I'm not a fan of Jared Leto, I think he's mega overrated and he wasn't that great in this either. But again, put him with Blade, Ghostrider, have him fight Spidey, it'll work. 6/10.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Top Gun: Maverick

Loved it. 9/10. Yes it was cheesy and campy in some spots but it's a movie about fighter jets, cheesy and campy is practically a necessity. The music was great, the score was great. It was total nostalgia and I dug it. Definitely fun to see on the big screen.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vendetta
    I have a $1 off code at Redbox and the cast had me intrigued (Bruce Willis, Thomas Jane, Theo Rossi, Mike Tyson). It was OK. Typical revenge movie. The main actor, have zero clue who he is. I've noticed with a lot of these direct to Redbox movies (this was actually a Redbox production) they have a no name lead actor and the supporting cast are usually well known actors, some even legends. This was a dud. Everyone sucked. 2/10.

It was such a dud I had to redeem myself and bust out a little movie called Tombstone. IDK if anyone has ever heard of it, but I'm not a big Western fan and this is the shit.

Mentioned
    498 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tombstone is one of my all-time favorite movies. Absolutely love it.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    The pizza is better than the movie.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The pizza is better than the movie.
    It's better than most no doubt about it jack

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tombstone is one of my all-time favorite movies. Absolutely love it.
    One of the best movies ever, and one of the most quotable.

Rush
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't watched Top Gun in probably a good twelve years. Is it mandatory viewing before I go see the new one?

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    Going to see the Fathom Event Thing tomorrow and GI Joe on Thursday.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kangus View Post
    I haven't watched Top Gun in probably a good twelve years. Is it mandatory viewing before I go see the new one?
    Nah you're good dude. There was a lot about Goose but I'm sure you remember what happened to him.

Mentioned
    498 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Basically if you remember Goose and Ice Man.... you're good.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I've never seen Top Gun.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never seen Top Gun.
    Did you watch Evil Dead yet?

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Not yet. It's been a busy past few days. I will get to it, eventually.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not yet. It's been a busy past few days. I will get to it, eventually.
    It needs to be dead like when you saw X twice lol

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I've got a whole slew of 80s films I've never seen:

Breakfast Club
    Sixteen Candles
    Weird Science
    Ferris Bueller's Day Off
    Planes, Trains and Automobiles
    Uncle Buck - Man I haven't seen a John Hughes directed film lol
    Raging Bull
    Top Gun
    Evil Dead
    Platoon
    Rain Man
    Dead Poets Society
    Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
    Chariots of Fire
    Field of Dreams
    The Thing
    Christine
    Escape from NY
    Tootsie
    The Untouchables
    Blue Velvet

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Started to watch this on my lunch break. I'll have to finish it up tomorrow during my lunch break.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got a whole slew of 80s films I've never seen:

Breakfast Club
    Sixteen Candles
    Weird Science
    Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Planes, Trains and Automobiles
    Uncle Buck - Man I haven't seen a John Hughes directed film lol
    Raging Bull
    Top Gun
    Evil Dead
    Platoon
    Rain Man
    Dead Poets Society

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
    Chariots of Fire
    Field of Dreams
    The Thing
    Christine
    Escape from NY

Tootsie
    The Untouchables
    Blue Velvet
    Start with the bold.

Mentioned
    498 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Solid recommendations with your bolds. Last Crusade and Untouchables would be in there too for me.

they're all good, but my first bump would be Weird Science.

Which is still a movie I've seen many times.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    1991-1999, I've probably seen most of the movies released during that period. I got a lot of catching up to do with the 80s.

Rush
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    Nah you're good dude. There was a lot about Goose but I'm sure you remember what happened to him.
    Basically if you remember Goose and Ice Man.... you're good.
    Thanks fellas.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beavis and Butthead Do the Universe

Incredible. It was barely 90 minutes. It looked good too. Beavis and Butthead looked the same in terms of animation, just cleaner, some of the others looked like that show Archer which some love that style I'm 50/50. Here it worked because it wasn't exactly the same. I would say 8/10. If you're a fan of the show you'll love it, if not I would probably avoid it. B&B are characters that you either love or hate, there's no real in between.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Solid recommendations with your bolds. Last Crusade and Untouchables would be in there too for me.

they're all good, but my first bump would be Weird Science.

Which is still a movie I've seen many times.
    The Untouchables is phenomenal.

Mentioned
    498 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how many iconic scenes are there in that movie?

"That's the Chicago Way"

Capone freaking out "I want him dead. I want his family dead. I want his house burned down and I wanna piss on it's ashes"

Connery interrogating the corpse

The scene where Nitti kills Connery

"Did he sound anything like that?"

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So many good ones.

The train station scene is always my favorite scene. Garcia's cool MF vibe goes through the roof in that scene. The slide, the gun toss, the "yeah, I got him."

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ukraine
    The new Beavis and Butthead movie was great. I was afraid it was going to be a giant let down, but it was awesome. I can't wait for the show to debut!

To The Face
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed, B&B was awesome start to finish.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how many iconic scenes are there in that movie?

"That's the Chicago Way"

Capone freaking out "I want him dead. I want his family dead. I want his house burned down and I wanna piss on it's ashes"

Connery interrogating the corpse

The scene where Nitti kills Connery

"Did he sound anything like that?"
    Book…bookkeeper.

The bookkeeper?

THEBOOKEEPER

The Bookkeeper??

Rush
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ended up rewatching Top Gun anyway because we're not going until next week to see Maverick.

I forgot how much of a dickhead Tom Cruise is in Top Gun. Like from start to finish, reckless dickhead. I find nothing redeeming or endearing about his character.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kangus View Post
    I ended up rewatching Top Gun anyway because we're not going until next week to see Maverick.

I forgot how much of a dickhead Tom Cruise is in Top Gun. Like from start to finish, reckless dickhead. I find nothing redeeming or endearing about his character.
    Yeah, I always felt like his character needed to always be front and center for everything and can’t help but feel like I was always thinking “Oh, get over yourself, bro.” Dad died, boo hoo. Make him proud. Goose died, boo hoo. Make him proud.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reservoir Dogs

Holy shit I can't believe this was my first time watching all of it start to finish. I only remembered the cop being tortured. The nice thing is going back and after seeing everything else Tarantino has done or even had a hand in the script (NBK, True Romance) you hear all these little nods that would show up later. I didn't even plan on watching this movie I was actually going to watch Schindler's List for the first time, then Deer Hunter, but they were over 3 hours and I was on a schedule. So I noticed this on HBO Max's 20th century classics category.

8/10. Is it the best Tarantino movie? No. But it definitely sets the tone for everything else to come.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Elvis 8/10

The Evil Dead 9/10

Shakma 7/10

I've got Christine and Halloween III lined up for theater viewing.
    Last edited by Dave Wyndorf; June 26th, 2022 at 6:17 PM.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Black Phone was pretty good.

If you’re looking solely for jump scares, you might be a bit disappointed. It has them but this is more geared to having anxieties creeping up in different ways. The main child actors are quite good, Ethan Hawk was good (though there really could have been more to his character). It’s a story of adolescent resilience with a good setting.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wyndorf View Post
    Elvis 8/10

The Evil Dead 9/10

Shakma 7/10

I've got Christine and Halloween III lined up for theater viewing.
    Finally.

Christine is a classic.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I may even read the book again. Read it back in the 90s

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Deer Hunter

Long as fuck lol. I watched the first 2 hours, then ran a couple errands before finishing it. It was a good movie but there were some parts that really dragged ass before they show anything of Vietnam. All in all, pretty good fuckin movie. IDK if I put it up there with the all time greats, not even sure if I'd call it one of the best Vietnam movies I've ever seen. 7/10. Could've been a 9 if we had more 'Nam

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Motherless Brooklyn

Not a bad movie. Edward Norton as a low level PI with Tourette's. I could've done without the Tourette's as it really didn't add much and kind of made certain parts feel like a spoof on these noir type movies. Definitely check it out if you have the time to kill like I apparently did lol. 6/10.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Old

I've had my share of criticism for M. Night Shyamalan over the years, to the point of completely abandoning ever wanting to see his movies again, but he's had a solid comeback of late and can still make a fun thriller (I didn't see Glass, but Split was good). The reviews for Old were mixed (50% on RT) but I thought it was very enjoyable. The story intrigued me and he did a good job adapting the screenplay and wrapping up the story, which I've learned was different than the novel it's based on. It's not some stunning twist at the end but there's an explanation that satisfied me.

7/10

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I wanted to like the Black Phone. There was nothing wrong with it but it's just one of those movies that you just don't need to see ever again.

Thor Love and Thunder was awful.

Champ is Gone
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went to see Thor and Top Gun tonight. Liked them both. It might have been the bad reviews for Thor that had my expectations low, but it didn't seem anywhere near as jokey/annoying as a lot of people made it out to be to me. I enjoyed it.

Top Gun gets goofy as hell at the end, but I liked that too.

If I were to rank the movies from this year I have seen it would be

Everything Everywhere All At Once
    The Batman
    RRR
    The Northman
    Top Gun Maverick
    Thor Love and Thunder.
    Last edited by Defrost; July 10th, 2022 at 1:38 AM.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thor: Love and Thunder was entertaining as a new addition to the MCU, but I think it just had way too much going on in a two-hour movie. I feel like this was a nice compliment to Ragnarok and the direction of Thor as a character likely remains on a solid course based on that movie after this movie, but with much more going on and more wrinkles. The addition of Bale and re-insertion of Portman really helped this a lot.

Last edited by BGMaverick; July 10th, 2022 at 11:39 PM.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thor Love and Thunder

Incredible. Visually it was awesome, soundtrack came through, and it hit a lot of different emotions. One minute you're on this wild ride, the next it's a very real, heartfelt moment, then a little comedy, and of course back to the wild ride of action. I'm not a huge solo Thor movie fan but this one imo was the best one yet. Better than the first one, better than Ragnarok.

I was with my 11 year old daughter and 21 year old son. I kept thinking how lucky these 2 are to come up in a time like this as opposed to the 80's and 90's where none of these movies really existed. You had what, Howard the Duck and Punisher in the mid-late 80's. Fast forward to Blade who really opened the door to all these movies moving forward but holy shit I can't even imagine what Thor Love and Thunder would've looked like in 1992 lol.

Worth going and seeing on the big screen. 8/10.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I enjoyed Thor Love and Thunder, and would give it a thumbs up, but not a thumbs way up like Spiderman.

There was something off about it. I was not a huge fan of the soundtrack, but it wasn't that.

I realized after talking with my wife that I just don't like Natalie Portman.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3puppies View Post
    I enjoyed Thor Love and Thunder, and would give it a thumbs up, but not a thumbs way up like Spiderman.

There was something off about it. I was not a huge fan of the soundtrack, but it wasn't that.

I realized after talking with my wife that I just don't like Natalie Portman.
    I liked her in V for Vendetta and The Professional and that's about it. She's a good 4th-5th character down type actress in these Marvel type movies but other than that yeah I'm not sure what the appeal is...but I also don't know how Justin Bieber mindfucked a billion fans to buy his records either.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Maybe I saw a different version of Thor Love and Thunder.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe I saw a different version of Thor Love and Thunder.
    Nothing is universally loved, not even the planet. I thought the same thing when I read all the reviews for Thor Ragnarok. It actually robbed me of truly enjoying the movie when I did finally see it because there was so much positive hype. Could it be that good? I had to know-I found out it was about as good as Fantastic Four 1. That's still a good movie but it's not top shelf.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I liked her in V for Vendetta and The Professional and that's about it. She's a good 4th-5th character down type actress in these Marvel type movies but other than that yeah I'm not sure what the appeal is...but I also don't know how Justin Bieber mindfucked a billion fans to buy his records either.
    Black Swan?

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a semi-explainable dislike for Anne Hathaway.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Black Swan?
    I would have to go watch that one again. I know I've seen it because it was done by the same guy who did The Wrestler.

Here's my favorite Natalie Portman "thing":

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    I enjoyed Love and Thunder, but I am going to see these Thor movies to have fun at this point. I get people want Phase 4 to get to the point, however I like the slow burn to either Kang or the Gods being the big bad.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Bob's Burgers movie was a fun time. It's basically just a long episode of the show but that's pretty much what you'd want/expect so it delivered. Good laughs, good heart, good songs.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anything Anywhere All At Once

Fun movie. I like the concept of someone being able to tap into their different multiverse personas and this seems to be a growing trend with some movies and tv shows that aren't even comic book related. Infinite for example, kind of the same premise.

If you're into martial arts movies with some comedy laced throughout, you'll dig it. 2hrs 20 minutes but goes by fast-in a good way. 7/10.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Anything Anywhere All At Once

Fun movie. I like the concept of someone being able to tap into their different multiverse personas and this seems to be a growing trend with some movies and tv shows that aren't even comic book related. Infinite for example, kind of the same premise.

If you're into martial arts movies with some comedy laced throughout, you'll dig it. 2hrs 20 minutes but goes by fast-in a good way. 7/10.
    Everything Everywhere*

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That too lol

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    A24 makes some good movies. Tusk, The Witch, Green Room, Midsommar, X, and Everything Everywhere All At Once are the films I've seen. I have Hereditary and the Lighthouse on blu ray but haven't seen them yet. Seems like a company that strives for quality pictures. I also wanted to see Men but it's not playing at the theater anymore. Hopefully it'll pop up on streaming soon.

I want to see Marcel the Shell With Shoes On, might see that this weekend. Bodies Bodies Bodies I'd go see but I have a strong dislike of Pete Davidson.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A24 makes some good movies. Tusk, The Witch, Green Room, Midsommar, X, and Everything Everywhere All At Once are the films I've seen. I have Hereditary and the Lighthouse on blu ray but haven't seen them yet. Seems like a company that strives for quality pictures. I also wanted to see Men but it's not playing at the theater anymore. Hopefully it'll pop up on streaming soon.

I want to see Marcel the Shell With Shoes On, might see that this weekend. Bodies Bodies Bodies I'd go see but I have a strong dislike of Pete Davidson.
    Lighthouse was really good and sold me on Robert Pattinson being able to play Bruce Wayne/Batman.

Men is already out of the theatre? Damn I did want to see that and didn't realize it was even out yet. Woops.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had the afternoon to myself since the wife started a new job so I thought I'd watch a flick or two...

Stuber - I like Big Dave and Kumail but this was very room temperature. There was enough to keep me engaged but it was very by the numbers and not really more than a few chuckles.

Then I tried to watch Super Troopers but I turned it off 20 minutes in 'cuz it sucked. I know folks are probably gonna come at me but it was like "What if Reno! 911 but not funny?".

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had the afternoon to myself since the wife started a new job so I thought I'd watch a flick or two...

Stuber - I like Big Dave and Kumail but this was very room temperature. There was enough to keep me engaged but it was very by the numbers and not really more than a few chuckles.

Then I tried to watch Super Troopers but I turned it off 20 minutes in 'cuz it sucked. I know folks are probably gonna come at me but it was like "What if Reno! 911 but not funny?".
    Well Reno 911 was more than likely inspired by Super Troopers but I mean Broken Lizard is such a specific taste. I find them funny as fuck but I completely get why some people don't.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe I needed to be stoned?