Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,200 of 1661

Thread: Movie Review Thread

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid_Planet View Post
    Well Reno 911 was more than likely inspired by Super Troopers but I mean Broken Lizard is such a specific taste. I find them funny as fuck but I completely get why some people don't.
    Broken Lizard is funny at first, but the act got redundant and predictable fast. Like the circle of friends there only had a small bag of punchlines and payoffs and nothing else outside of that.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mth View Post
    Maybe I needed to be stoned?
    Super Troopers was great. It's silly stoner humor, sure, so maybe that isn't for everyone. I put it in the same category as Grandma's Boy. I haven't watched ST lately but I feel like it should hold up reasonably well. That said, I can understand how a silly comedy like that from 20 years ago which is most appealing to high school and college aged kids might not land well when an adult is watching it for the first time.

I mean I love Half Baked but if I never saw it before and watched it now with fresh eyes, I might think it's fairly lame.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was movies like Super Troopers and Anchor Man that made me start to notice how folks (mostly dudes) will just blurt out random quotes from comedies like the whole world got it. I mean I used to say things from movies as a kid, but only when the context fit the scenario. I remember at baseball practice, teammeates would just yell CANDY BARRRS! at random moments and I'd just be like Then when I saw Super Troopers I realized oh they must've got it from this. They'd also say "I'm Ron Burgendy?" and even though I'd never seen Anchor Man I knew they were just saying a line from that movie.

That shit was unbearable though. When folks started saying the same catchphrases to each other like mindless sheep, it was like godammit.

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I barely made it two minutes. I don't find any of these guys funny whether that's Super Troopers, Beerfest, I think there's a show/movie with them but they work for the fire dept.

I lump all of that in the same category as Reno 911, The Office, just shit that people were/are super into and I could never grasp it.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fro View Post
    Super Troopers was great. It's silly stoner humor, sure, so maybe that isn't for everyone. I put it in the same category as Grandma's Boy. I haven't watched ST lately but I feel like it should hold up reasonably well. That said, I can understand how a silly comedy like that from 20 years ago which is most appealing to high school and college aged kids might not land well when an adult is watching it for the first time.

I mean I love Half Baked but if I never saw it before and watched it now with fresh eyes, I might think it's fairly lame.
    Grandma's Boy and Half Baked are incredible. I just bought Grandma's Boy on DVD for like $3 about a month ago. It'd been about 10 years since I saw it and it still holds up. Half Baked is just a classic for me personally. Takes me back to high school smoking weed with my older friends in their apartment and I swear every night we'd watch wrestling together we'd have a "Kenny" who would go be on a food/soda run for the crew lol.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if it would make the movie any funnier for you but yes you should have been stoned.

Also Club Dread is the Broken Lizard masterpiece.

Bill Paxton is in it and omg.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VHS View Post
    It was movies like Super Troopers and Anchor Man that made me start to notice how folks (mostly dudes) will just blurt out random quotes from comedies like the whole world got it. I mean I used to say things from movies as a kid, but only when the context fit the scenario. I remember at baseball practice, teammeates would just yell CANDY BARRRS! at random moments and I'd just be like Then when I saw Super Troopers I realized oh they must've got it from this. They'd also say "I'm Ron Burgendy?" and even though I'd never seen Anchor Man I knew they were just saying a line from that movie.

That shit was unbearable though. When folks started saying the same catchphrases to each other like mindless sheep, it was like godammit.
    Good gawd, I feel you. My middle/high school years were nothing but the class clowns and jocks yelling quotes from every Jim Carrey/Adam Sandler/Chris Farley, etc., movie all the goddamn time. Didn't help that I also had cousins that did the same shit, too. Like, I've only seen Billy Madison a couple of times but the entire fucking movie is in my brain because I've heard every goddamn line a hundred times.
    I don't know if it would make the movie any funnier for you but yes you should have been stoned.

Also Club Dread is the Broken Lizard masterpiece.

Bill Paxton is in it and omg.
    I saw Club Dread was also on there, so I might try that one my next day off. We'll see if I make it past the 20 minute mark.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good gawd, I feel you. My middle/high school years were nothing but the class clowns and jocks yelling quotes from every Jim Carrey/Adam Sandler/Chris Farley, etc., movie all the goddamn time. Didn't help that I also had cousins that did the same shit, too. Like, I've only seen Billy Madison a couple of times but the entire fucking movie is in my brain because I've heard every goddamn line a hundred times.

I saw Club Dread was also on there, so I might try that one my next day off. We'll see if I make it past the 20 minute mark.
    If you're a fan of horror comedy I think you may like that one. But all of their other stuff falls into more of a Super trooper category.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I totally forgot the made Super Troopers 2. Rewatching the trailer, it looks like an average budget TV pilot. Yikes.

Mentioned
    290 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Maybe it's just because I spent so many years as a server but I thought Broken Lizard's Slammin' Salmon was pretty great.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I totally forgot the made Super Troopers 2. Rewatching the trailer, it looks like an average budget TV pilot. Yikes.
    It actually did surprisingly well at the box office and supposedly the studio ordered ST3 right away. I don't know if anything comes of it but until then I have Tacoma FD.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Last Night in Soho was excellent.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At least ST2 had Emanuelle Chriqui in it...that was the sole redeeming quality.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Gray Man - 8/10.

Big fan of the book series and they changed probably 75% of the book for the movie. That said it’s the Russos so the action was bonkers and that completely made up for the creative liberties they took. Chris Evans played a great psycho and Ryan Gosling was surprisingly good in the action scenes. His humor was perfect.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    At least ST2 had Emanuelle Chriqui in it...that was the sole redeeming quality.
    oh snap. One of the most in song beauties ever.

Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    italy
    Nope is really worth the watch. It was really intense.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Victor Frankenstein (2015) - I'm a massive Frankenstein nerd but heard this was terrible so I never bothered when it came out just read some reviews and summaries and whatever. But I had the afternoon alone so I figured what the hell. I actually thought it was pretty decent. Don't get me wrong, it was certainly stupid in some ways, too, but I was pretty entertained and engaged. The approach was different enough to feel somewhat fresh. Some nice sets and visual aspects. Very "popcorn movie" with a bit of everything (action, drama, horror, comedy). I like McAvoy and Radcliffe and think they both did alright. Better Than Expected Out of 10.

To The Face
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zack Snyder's Justice League was four hours of meh. Just didn't really feel like anything more than a TV miniseries with a big ass budget. Avengers characters, whether as a group or on their own those movies all seemed to be a lot smoother. This just never had any excitement to it.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Gray Man - 8/10.

Big fan of the book series and they changed probably 75% of the book for the movie. That said it’s the Russos so the action was bonkers and that completely made up for the creative liberties they took. Chris Evans played a great psycho and Ryan Gosling was surprisingly good in the action scenes. His humor was perfect.
    It was a good movie. I'll be honest, after looking at Gosling's filmography I have only seen 2 of his movies. Remember the Titans and Blade Runner 2049. I have seen parts of The Notebook, actually just the very very end so I'm not even sure if that was him or not that I saw. So going in I had no real idea of what to expect especially with Chris Evans as a weird bad guy. Probably helps I haven't read the book if that much of it was changed.

I heard this is just the first of a few so with that said I give this a 7/10 and hope the next ones are good too.

Edit: Looking at his resume, forgot allll about that show Young Hercules. Holy shit that sucked but I did watch a few episodes lol.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    It was a good movie. I'll be honest, after looking at Gosling's filmography I have only seen 2 of his movies. Remember the Titans and Blade Runner 2049. I have seen parts of The Notebook, actually just the very very end so I'm not even sure if that was him or not that I saw. So going in I had no real idea of what to expect especially with Chris Evans as a weird bad guy. Probably helps I haven't read the book if that much of it was changed.

I heard this is just the first of a few so with that said I give this a 7/10 and hope the next ones are good too.

Edit: Looking at his resume, forgot allll about that show Young Hercules. Holy shit that sucked but I did watch a few episodes lol.
    I hope they do the 6th book in the series. Really, really good action thriller and lots of action scenes.

Crazy, Stupid, Love was a good Gosling film, as was The Nice Guys.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the topic of Gosling films, I remember really liking Lars and the Real Girl when i saw it.

Just watched House of 1,000 Corpses. Bit of a mess. Felt like a Texas Chainsaw Massacre knock-off that a Halloween Alley exploded on. Not good but not a waste of time. I like Tiny, he was my favorite.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the topic of Gosling films, I remember really liking Lars and the Real Girl when i saw it.

Just watched House of 1,000 Corpses. Bit of a mess. Felt like a Texas Chainsaw Massacre knock-off that a Halloween Alley exploded on. Not good but not a waste of time. I like Tiny, he was my favorite.
    My wife's too.

I just read an interview with Rob the other day where he shit all over 1000 corpses. He said he can't see anything but mistakes every time he sees it and called it amateurish.

you either die a hero... Morrison's Avatar
    or live long enough to see yourself become a dumdum.
    Mentioned
    198 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    full nelson, blue valentine, drive, the ides of march, the place beyond the pines; all great films with good to great gosling performances.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen the first three and would agree.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can only imagine this is why you have the opinion saying House was not good.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife's too.

I just read an interview with Rob the other day where he shit all over 1000 corpses. He said he can't see anything but mistakes every time he sees it and called it amateurish.
    That's just him overanalyzing his first movie. He did the same on Joe Rogen but I think the more he had to work with in terms of $$$ the less interesting his movies became. Not a fan of anything he's done other than this and Devil's Rejects. The Halloween movies, 31, Lords of Salem, even the Munsters...It's like when I was younger. Loved White Zombie, hated Rob Zombie.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Lord's of Salem was awesome

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can only imagine this is why you have the opinion saying House was not good.
    I mean, it's already been pointed out that the damn guy who made it thinks it sucks and you dismissed that so...

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    That's just him overanalyzing his first movie. He did the same on Joe Rogen but I think the more he had to work with in terms of $$$ the less interesting his movies became. Not a fan of anything he's done other than this and Devil's Rejects. The Halloween movies, 31, Lords of Salem, even the Munsters...It's like when I was younger. Loved White Zombie, hated Rob Zombie.
    I was supposed to go see the Devil's Rejects on a date, with this girl I really liked. Somehow gathered up the courage to ask her on a date, and she said yes. Anyhow, I was supposed to pick her up from her job and then we were gonna go to the movies, but I got into a car accident on the way to pick her up. Instead of asking if I was hurt, ok, damage, etc, the first question she asked was "Well how am I supposed to get home?" Fair question, but that would have been the last question I asked.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well... if Double Toasted liked it, then I'll give this a watch. Still cautious, but a little more optimistic.

Last edited by VHS; August 4th, 2022 at 7:07 PM.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just saw it was getting pretty good reviews from a few different places so that's cool. I'll probably check it out.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Double toes, Ted

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Prey

This pleasantly surprised me. The director, Dan Trachtenberg, did an wonderful job bringing back the basics and IMO put this in the top 3 Predator movies. It was actually thrilling and exciting, the cinematographer was beautiful and while the main protag was annoying at times... I still felt for the characters. When I heard this was a straight to Hulu streamer flick, I was like ughh ok. But then once I saw who was directing, my hopes went up quick. Dan does such great work with stories like this, something that could easily be a short film or mini story. If you haven't followed his work, I recommend checking out his Portal fan film from years ago where you could clearly see his skill. Happy this didn't suck. Still though... I'm so burnt out from Predator. I'm done with Predator. I don't care anymore lol.

Alien... take note on how to do it right.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's that Portal short film Trachtenberg made 10+ years ago. This dude was making solid shit back then.

To The Face
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watched "Father Stu" yesterday. Exceeded expectations I had prior to starting it. Good mix of comedy and seriousness. Good role for Wahlberg.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Freaky

Not a big fan of Vince Vaughn, he's annoying just like the other Frat Pack dorks, but I think he was excellent in this film. He plays the serial killer role so well. 8/10

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Prey was very good. I'll echo VHS and say that I would put it in the top 3 right behind Predator 1 and Predators. I'm a huge fan of the whole Predator/Alien stuff, more Alien than Predator but regardless, big fan. I was extremely curious with the concept and loved seeing the primitive weapons versus alien weaponry. 9/10

Men

I'll be honest. It was kind of late and I was kind of high watching this so I really have no idea if this was good or bad. I remember seeing the preview and being interested in the movie but after watching it I might need to watch it a 2nd time. It was just odd, best way I can describe it without giving away anything beyond the fact every man was played by the same actor. 3/10.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Is Men on a streaming platform? I wanted to see that one.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wyndorf View Post
    Is Men on a streaming platform? I wanted to see that one.
    I picked it up at Redbox. Super weird. I really have no idea what the movie was about.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    The only Predator movies I've seen are the two AVP films, and was there one with Adrian Brody in it? I think I saw that but don't really remember it.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only Predator movies I've seen are the two AVP films, and was there one with Adrian Brody in it? I think I saw that but don't really remember it.
    Brody is Predators. Love that one. AvP was cool but the 2nd one had almost no lighting in the budget apparently lol. It's like if you've ever played the game Turok on the N64. Great game but the lighting is almost non-existent in many parts.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also just watched Prey. Good, simple, and fun. Didn't need to be bogged down with a bunch of bullshit, just a basic effective plot and solidly executed. Took what worked from the original and gave it just enough of a twist otherwise to freshen things up.
    Last edited by mth; August 11th, 2022 at 12:16 AM.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Predator 2 is where its at.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah. I’d have it as

1. Predator
    2. Predator 2
    3. Prey

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like Predator 2 more than the first one.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Predator 2 is great but I don't think it's better than the 3 I rank above it. But Prey is also pretty fresh in my mind so that could be the honeymoon phase.

What I love about Predator 2 is the cast. Danny Glover, Bill Paxton, Gary Busey, Morton Downey Jr lol

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Frankenweenie - I heard this was good but I did not like it. I actually checked out about 2/3 through and was fiddling about on the internet during the rest.

Club Dread - My dude @Rancid_Planet recommended it earlier so I dialed it up. It was basic stupid fun. I didn't find it funny but the slasher mystery helped keep me engaged. Not a bad way to kill an evening.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Frankenweenie - I heard this was good but I did not like it. I actually checked out about 2/3 through and was fiddling about on the internet during the rest.

Club Dread - My dude @Rancid_Planet recommended it earlier so I dialed it up. It was basic stupid fun. I didn't find it funny but the slasher mystery helped keep me engaged. Not a bad way to kill an evening.
    glad you gave that one a shot. I figured if Broken Lizard had one film you'd like that'd be it.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Black Phone:

First of all I am glad I waited, I was gonna rent it last week for $19.99 ondemand only to find it streaming for free today. It was pretty good, not quite as dark as Sinnister but had it’s creepy moments.

7.5/10

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany
    glad you gave that one a shot. I figured if Broken Lizard had one film you'd like that'd be it.
    I didn't know they were working on super troopers 3.

If you haven't seen tacona fd it's actually a great binge show.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by virms View Post
    I didn't know they were working on super troopers 3.

If you haven't seen tacona fd it's actually a great binge show.
    I have not finished the last season but yes I LOVE Tacoma FD. So good. That one time Hefferman was jumping on the hippity hop and smiling that crazy smile omg I shit myself.

I was even listening to the podcast those two do for a while. Just a big big fan of theirs.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Host (2020) - Fun little horror flick on Shudder, only an hour long. Bunch of chicks do a seance on a Zoom call and shit goes sideways. The Zoom call format worked well and it was pretty effective for tension and spooky shenanigans. Recommend.

Champ is Gone
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Predator 2 is where its at.
    I love Predator 2

And speaking of Predator 2 considering how Prey ends it's heavily implied she's gonna get got by a Predator at some point.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Defrost View Post
    I love Predator 2

And speaking of Predator 2 considering how Prey ends it's heavily implied she's gonna get got by a Predator at some point.
    I was kind of hoping we'd see Raphael Adolini in Prey, just so we could have a tie in w/ the elder Predator from Predator 2. (the one that gives Glover the prate pistol)

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Defrost View Post
    I love Predator 2

I know. I thought that was kind of a bummer lol

But besides that Prey got it. This is what a fucking Predator movie is supposed to look like.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scare Package - Comedy horror anthology flick made up of a handful of short films stitched together with an overall story. It was actually pretty damn good. Funny and a good spoof/tribute to classic horror films and tropes. And Dustin Rhodes is in it!

Banned
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was kind of hoping we'd see Raphael Adolini in Prey, just so we could have a tie in w/ the elder Predator from Predator 2. (the one that gives Glover the prate pistol)
    Hopefully, we get to see a Predator vs. Pirates movie. "Dread Predator" or something of the sort.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One Cut of the Dead - Starts off as being about folks making a zombie movie when real zombies suddenly show up but the director wants to keep filming. Then it becomes something else entirely. Best to go in as unspoiled as possible. Depending on your expectations, the turn could be a big turn off or you might really dig it, like we did.

The Beach House - A couple go to have a nice romantic weekend at a beach house and shit goes absolutely sideways. Another one where I don't want to say too much but it's simple and effective, tense and gross. Pretty good.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

The Beach House - A couple go to have a nice romantic weekend at a beach house and shit goes absolutely sideways. Another one where I don't want to say too much but it's simple and effective, tense and gross. Pretty good.
    I saw this on Shudder a year or so ago, pretty good film, for something I just randomly clicked on to watch.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once we got Shudder we binged seasons 2 and 3 of Creepshow and then I looked up various lists of the best original movies on there and we're watching stuff that was on them. So far, so good. If you've got any recommendations, let me know.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's one nice thing about the AMC+ app that I have through Prime. I get Shudder for free. Loved the last season of Creepshow. I still need to watch that animated version.

Does anyone watch the Joe Bob Briggs show? That's about as close to USA Up All Night that I can get in the modern era.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I saw Head of the Family Joe Bob Briggs episode. Went to go watch the series from the beginning, but noticed episodes were missing, probably because Shudder lost the rights to those films.
    @mth I'd recommend Psycho Goreman on Shudder, excellent film.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw Head of the Family Joe Bob Briggs episode. Went to go watch the series from the beginning, but noticed episodes were missing, probably because Shudder lost the rights to those films.
    Yep there were a few movies I was sad I couldn't watch but hey at least I could bang out Maniac Cop 1 and 2 lol. I don't know about anyone else but TNT was a huge huge part of my youth. Especially the 90's when they had Nitro and then all those weird shows like Hercules, Witchblade, I think Robin Hood was one you'd be forced to watch to see the end of a Hogan match lol.

But shout out to Monster Vision. That was so good and Briggs hasn't lost a step.

Banned
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I own Head of The Family -- The horror flick -- on regular 'ol DVD.

I should give that a watch.

Banned
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watched a few movies over the past... Month?

Michael Bay's Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles -- I know a lot, and I mean a lot of people shit on Michael Bay, but weirdly I didn't think this was too bad. No, the Turtles weren't space aliens, yes Meghan Fox is an ass in a pair of tight pants who couldn't act her way out of a wet paper sack, and no The Turtles don't look great -- but this was exactly the kind of stupid fun I was expecting. Its yet another Turtle origin story that tries to establish them as some kind of urban legend, while The Foot Clan run clandestine crime all over New York City. Shredder is a white dude, but also a Chinese guy, and he kind of looks like a Transformer made out of those knives they used to sell on late-night infomercials. The action is super fun, Raphael tries to step to Shredder and gets his ass stomped, the four-on-one fight on the top of the tower at the end is cool shit, and the big multiple car, truck, machine gun truck, tractor trailer truck, van, etc. car chase from the evil dude's compound down the side of the snowy mountain is a legit highlight of the whole flick. Michael Bay's version of TMNT is like cotton candy. Nothing substantial, but its a fun little treat.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles -- Out of The Shadows -- This one feels like an attempted "make good" for all the things the first movie gets wrong. We get more of the Turtle bros being bros, Rocksteady and Bebop being created, a better version of Shredder, Krang and The Technodrome, and a plot that bumps things up from "Turtles vs. An asshole trying to dirty bomb a city" to "Turtles vs. A full-scale alien invasion". Its wild ass fun and there's some legit humor and goofy charm to the whole thing. The opening prison transport escape scene with The Turtles in the Turtle van trying to chase down and fight off the Foot dudes on motorcycles while they're trying to bust Shredder out of the prison transport is like the kind of shit a kid would come up with while he's playing with action figures. The Turtles 4-on-1 against Krang and his android body is like the Turtles vs. Shredder from the first movie, but turned up to 11. Again, its a cotton candy movie experience. Great for the moment, but purely insubstantial. They were clearly angling for a TMNT 3, but this was a total flop and they're not getting it.

Kind of a shame, really.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been a fan of the last 2 Ninja Turtle movies.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Psycho Goreman - What a goddamn delight. Very funny and ridiculous. Great practical effects and cool monster designs. Fun as hell. You did not let me down, I'd highly recommend it, as well.
    Last edited by mth; August 17th, 2022 at 11:45 PM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been a fan of the last 2 Ninja Turtle movies.
    I enjoyed them well enough.

But, weirdly, I liked the last live-action Ninja Turtles -- where they're in Feudal Japan -- better. If that means anything.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudz Mackenzie View Post

But, weirdly, I liked the last live-action Ninja Turtles -- where they're in Feudal Japan -- better. If that means anything.
    That movie is criminally underrated.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudz Mackenzie View Post

Probably just means that a lot of stuff when we were kids, especially TMNT, holds a special place in our hearts. I liked the 3rd movie as well. You had some really cool fight scenes, it looked good, and Corey Feldman was back as the voice of Donatello. Honestly the only stuff I haven't been able to get into is the Nickelodeon show and the animated movie that kind of looks like it. I think it's more of the fact those are heavily geared toward young kids and the more recent movies had that same grimy edge the first movie had.

The only real negative I have about the 3rd movie is Casey Jones as a babysitter. I get that he plays dual roles but Casey Jones is badass.

To The Face
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once we got Shudder we binged seasons 2 and 3 of Creepshow and then I looked up various lists of the best original movies on there and we're watching stuff that was on them. So far, so good. If you've got any recommendations, let me know.
    NOS4A2 on Shudder, season one I thought was better than 2, but 2 isn't a waste of time.

To add to the thread, Memory starring Liam Neeson.

It's like two different movies, and only after watching it did I recognize the story. It's an English-language remake of "Memory Of A Killer", I believe is the name. Hitman with dementia kinda goes off the rails. The first half hour was just so dull I almost shut it off. Story picked up after that. Still, would say a 6/10 is fair. Neeson has had some clunkers of late and I thought for sure the first thirty minutes was not going to change things but it's worth staying with.

Champ is Gone
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just saw Dragon Ball Super: Superhero. Tons of fun. Pan was super cute. The comedy bits were fun. Cool fighting stuff with Gohan and Piccolo. Liked the new characters. Of the 4 Dragon Ball movies in this new cycle the last few years I'd probably go Broly, Battle of Gods, Superhero, Resurrection F.

Movies I've seen from 2022 ranked

Everything Everywhere All At Once
    The Batman
    Dragon Ball Super: Superhero
    RRR
    Prey
    The Northman
    Top Gun Maverick
    Thor Love and Thunder

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope - I liked it, but this felt way too long. They could have easily shaved off maybe 20 minutes because while I like things to simmer, I really wanted things to move along most of the time. OJ's character was cool, but Kaluuya's acting was mumbling through his lines to where I had to go back just to make out what he was saying. Loved loved lived Michael Wincott as always. Being a camera guy myself, I rolled my eyes at everything he said but with a smile. Flat out did not like Keke Palmer or her character in this though, she was downright annoying. Still an immense fan of Jordan Peele, but nothing he's done has really come close to Get Out. I wouldn't say his star has lost its glow, but it's been diminishing returns. The cinematography was 10/10, boy that IMAX camera is a damn gift from the gods. All in all, a gorgeously put together movie that I might catch again down the line but maybe not. 7/10

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Beast - Fun movie. Idris Elba is a pretty cool guy, I should check out more of his work. 8/10

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flesh For Frankenstein
    Oh my god. This was some wild stuff. Chock full of nudity and gore and...well, some really fucked up combinations of the two and other messed up ideas. Also terrible acting and a nonsense plot. I'm pretty sure it was trying to be a comedy played straight faced. It is not good but goddamn is it memorable. I mean, "To understand death you've got to fuck life in the gallbladder!!" is all you need to know.

Boar
    Your standard monster movie about a giant-ass pig in the Australian bush. But also former WWE superstar Nathan Jones is in it! And in a fairly major role! And he was a better actor than I expected! And did I mentioned there was a big-ass pig? Pretty fun but nothing special.

Bad Moon
    The opening is a sex scene and then a werewolf and lots of gore so you think it's setting a tone but then...nah, fam, this is damn-near a wholesome family film about a single mom and her kid and their dog is the star of the film! There is uncle werewolf doing werewolf stuffs sometimes but only a little bit here and there. Half the film is the uncle and the dog staring at each other. There's a transformation sequence that is truly something (and I mean that in the worst way possible).. It is bad but it was fun to mock along the way.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me Time - This was...a movie. Kevin Hart and Mark Wahlberg did Kevin Hart and Mark Wahlberg things the whole move. Hart did his usual schtick of quiet guy put into absurd situations, in which he inevitably moves between whispered disbelief and screaming fear. Weak plot, overall dumb movie but it had a couple good laughs in it.

5/10

To The Face
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me Time - This was...a movie. Kevin Hart and Mark Wahlberg did Kevin Hart and Mark Wahlberg things the whole move. Hart did his usual schtick of quiet guy put into absurd situations, in which he inevitably moves between whispered disbelief and screaming fear. Weak plot, overall dumb movie but it had a couple good laughs in it.

5/10
    I started it yesterday then Netflix shut off on me so I didn't bother going back. Maybe it was meant to be a sign.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thor: Love & Thunder - I think most criticism this is getting is probably fair. It leaned so hard into comedy that it really took away from anything serious feeling particularly serious. And there was some pretty bad comedy. Gorr didn't feel as threatening as he should have as they didn't really show him on the rampage. Also...

There were some great visuals and shots and some of the comedy was good. Overall, it was fun but I wouldn't say it was above average.
    Last edited by mth; September 9th, 2022 at 11:14 AM.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Elvis - 9/10.

Loved it. Visually stunning and appealing. It's filled with not just Elvis' music but some more contemporary music as well. Really dug the soundtrack. It was different from a normal music biopic and I really appreciated the change. Not sure if Tom Parker was really the bastard he was portrayed as in the movie because I don't know much about him. It didn't dive into many of Elvis' numerous issues but I don't think that's a bad thing at all. Overall it was a very enjoyable film.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watched that new Orphan movie. What a weird movie. Julia Stiles, can't even tell you the last movie I saw of hers. I mean my oldest daughter has watched 10 things I hate about you 400 times but nothing recent with her in it. 3/10. It didn't completely suck I just think that it was a pointless sequel. I actually went into it thinking it was a prequel so I was little confused at first.

Thor: Love & Thunder - I think most criticism this is getting is probably fair. It leaned so hard into comedy that it really took away from anything serious feeling particularly serious. And there was some pretty bad comedy. Gorr didn't feel as threatening as he should have as they didn't really show him on the rampage. Also...

There were some great visuals and shots and some of the comedy was good. Overall, it was fun but I wouldn't say it was above average.
    There was like 2 hours cut from the film so it makes you wonder if some of the stuff they deleted would've helped certain parts make more sense.

Also---did you see the end credits?

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Pearl - 9/10

What a fantastic movie. I really enjoyed X, which this is the prequel for, but this was a tad bit better. I'd even go as far to say that Mia Goth should get a Oscar nomination, but we all know they hate anything that's not drama or biopics. Such fantastic acting on her part. There's a double showing of X and Pearl here on Thursday, thinking about going to it.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watched that new Orphan movie. What a weird movie. Julia Stiles, can't even tell you the last movie I saw of hers. I mean my oldest daughter has watched 10 things I hate about you 400 times but nothing recent with her in it. 3/10. It didn't completely suck I just think that it was a pointless sequel. I actually went into it thinking it was a prequel so I was little confused at first.

There was like 2 hours cut from the film so it makes you wonder if some of the stuff they deleted would've helped certain parts make more sense.

Also---did you see the end credits?
    Yes.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    It's been so long since I've seen Orphan. That came out in what, 2009? Saw it in the theaters, so 13 years ago. Wow. Why do they wait so long to make sequels? I saw the sequel on Paramount +. The original is there too but it was under leaving soon.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Going to see Barbarian on Sunday. Heard it's one of the scariest movies of recent memory. I'm sure I'll be disappointed. Remember Paranormal Activity? They said that was the scariest movie of all time and that was a load of shit.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going to see Barbarian on Sunday. Heard it's one of the scariest movies of recent memory. I'm sure I'll be disappointed. Remember Paranormal Activity? They said that was the scariest movie of all time and that was a load of shit.
    This whole Barbarian movie situation fucked me up because there's a new movie that you can watch on Prime (Maybe through the AMC+ app) called BARBARIANS. So I thought it was the same movie but it's not. Both are horror but yeah, totally different lol.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I think AMC owns Shudder, so it might be on there.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ukraine
    The new Pinocchio film sucks royal balls and I would not watch it with your kids. The CGI (especially Pinocchio himself) is mediocre at best and the realistic donkey transformation is something I never thought would top the original. It will scar your children as much as the cartoon did to me... or worse. Disney played it safe with the puppet himself, making him more moralistic in this version than the original (which defeats the entire purpose the cartoon and book both tried to make).

I was so shocked that Disney made this, because it was made 80 years ago and the story is more adult for today's family audiences. It was the last of all of the cheap rehashes I would ever thought they would make and even Tom Hanks couldn't save it. I really hope this ends the sad live action remakes that they have made. Most of them are boring as hell and Disney needs to grow some balls and create some semi-original content again.

Oh, and massive spoiler that pissed me off to no end.......

Even if you have Disney+, I wouldn't watch it. At least skip the donkey scene if you have kids, or just go watch the original if you need a fix.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Beavis and Butthead Do The Universe.

I watched this today and although the general premise overall was basically the same as the Do America film and had recycled jokes from there polished up being a government target, it was nonetheless still entertaining. The up-to-date animation was still sharp. I have yet to watch the latest series but have it in my queue. I have two other thoughts which I will spoiler tag as they are scene specific:

7/10 score overall.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    149 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ukraine
    Watch the show man. The show picks up right after the movie and has been great so far. Beavis is far more assertive and they have episodes as their 40 year old selves that are great.
    Last edited by Randolph; September 15th, 2022 at 4:14 PM.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The new episodes are incredible. I agree, the ones when they're older are hilarious.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I wish Love Rollercoaster was on Spotify.

Mentioned
    329 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Randolph View Post
    Watch the show man. The show picks up right after the movie and has been great so far. Beavis is far more assertive and they have episodes as their 40 year old selves that are great.
    The new episodes are incredible. I agree, the ones when they're older are hilarious.
    It shall be done.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    This whole Barbarian movie situation fucked me up because there's a new movie that you can watch on Prime (Maybe through the AMC+ app) called BARBARIANS. So I thought it was the same movie but it's not. Both are horror but yeah, totally different lol.
    Barbarian started off hot but then just fell apart. If it was just the first 30 minutes or so, I would have raved about it lol.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thor: Love and Thunder was good, not great. I'd rank it as the third best Thor, behind the first and Ragnarok. I think they leaned too much into the humor, plus I feel like everyone expected it to be funny while Ragnarok's humor was a pleasant surprise. L&T had its moments though, no debating that. And Christian Bale was so good, as he always is.

I'm glad it was on Disney+ and we didn't pay to see it in the theater, I would have been a bit more disappointed.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope

This was a wild movie. I didn't really know what it was about as I'd only seen a couple previews but I knew it was something more science fiction than horror. Great cast, visuals were good. If you're into movies like War of the Worlds or Signs, I'm not saying it's like those but a few elements reminded me of those films.

8/10. Highly recommend especially if you've been impressed with Jordan Peele's movies. Dude hasn't missed yet.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I saw Get Out but not Us or Nope. Saw some guy clamoring online a couple of months ago that Jordan Peele is the greatest horror director of all time, I'm like nah he has to have a few more films under his belt before you can say that I think he was going by rottentomato score or something, but pretty sure John Carpenter had a string of fresh movies in the 70s and 80s. Also, Hitchcock, Romero, Craven?

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw Get Out but not Us or Nope. Saw some guy clamoring online a couple of months ago that Jordan Peele is the greatest horror director of all time, I'm like nah he has to have a few more films under his belt before you can say that I think he was going by rottentomato score or something, but pretty sure John Carpenter had a string of fresh movies in the 70s and 80s. Also, Hitchcock, Romero, Craven?
    That's a bold statement to make. Off the dome I can think of plenty of movies and directors that are better than what he has delivered so far.

Don't get it twisted. There are some horror movies that are iconic and that's all the director did in that genre. IMO, The Shining is one of if not the best horror movies of all time. Kubrick never did anything in that genre before or after but we all know he is one of the best directors of all time. I wouldn't call him one of the best HORROR directors though. So take them out of the conversation and yeah you're looking at some heavy hitters.

10 years from now you could probably throw his name in the conversation. Modern era horror movie directors? Definitely one of the best. 3 different types of horror movies, all stellar. But when you're talking Romero, Craven, Carpenter, Raimi, Hitchcock, Fulci, Clive Barker gets slept on way too fuckin much for my liking lol. Seriously the list goes on and on before I get to Peele BUTTTT think about this. James Wan is definitely one of the best of all time he's been doing it about 20 years now. Eli Roth is another "newer" horror movie director and they did it by setting the tone for some wild ass shit. You ask people under 30 they're probably naming Roth, Rob Zombie, Wan, and even Jordan Peele as "the best of all time" even if some of them have only produced a couple bangers.

NOPE is just so out there. The backstory that runs through it which I still have no idea why it was included, was fucking crazy.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did not see Get out but I saw Us and loved it. Heard nope was kind of the shits. I thought the Candyman film was meh.

Banned
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its hard to be "THE GREATEST HORROR MOVIE DIRECTOR OF ALL TIME" when one of your three big movies fucking sucked.

"Us" was terrible.