Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Movie Review Thread

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Parasite
    10/10. that is all. must watch and the movie of 2019 for me.

Anyway my top movies of 2019 are

Parasite
    Lighthouse
    Irishman
    Uncut Gems
    Joker
    Us
    Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PurePlayer View Post
    Parasite

Parasite
    Lighthouse
    Irishman
    Uncut Gems
    Joker
    Us
    My top 5:
    Joker
    End Game
    Once Upton A Time in Hollywood
    Bohemian Rhapsody
    John Wick 3

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    My top 5:
    Joker
    End Game
    Once Upton A Time in Hollywood
    Bohemian Rhapsody
    John Wick 3
    Bohemian came out in 2018.

I don't see a ton of movies in cinema but Joker, Endgame and One Upon a Time would surely be the 3 best movies I saw this year.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fro View Post
    Bohemian came out in 2018.

I don't see a ton of movies in cinema but Joker, Endgame and One Upon a Time would surely be the 3 best movies I saw this year.
    Ah ok I must have saw the DVD release date by mistake. I will say this....Another movie that came out in 2019 that I want on my top 5 is "GLASS". What a great movie. I rented it twice and probably watched it 5 times total within a month lol.

Mentioned
    437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Don't frequent the cinema much anymore. Used to go every weekend. Can't really recall everything I've seen this year, but I did like Once Upon a time in Hollywood, Midsomnar, Annabelle Comes Home, and It Chapter 2

Forgot about Fighting with my Family that was pretty good

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah most of the movies I saw at the theater were a mixed bag but most of my list are movies I rented. Out of those 5 I only saw End Game and Joker at the movies.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah ok I must have saw the DVD release date by mistake. I will say this....Another movie that came out in 2019 that I want on my top 5 is "GLASS". What a great movie. I rented it twice and probably watched it 5 times total within a month lol.
    It was good. It felt like the ending sequence should've been far longer to me.

Or maybe it was just so good it left me wanting more.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid_Planet View Post
    It was good. It felt like the ending sequence should've been far longer to me.

Or maybe it was just so good it left me wanting more.
    I agree about the ending sequence. Could have been longer.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Parasite

Parasite
    Lighthouse
    Irishman
    Uncut Gems
    Joker
    Us
    Watched Parasite today totally agree. Definitely the movie of 2019 for me.

Mentioned
    437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I liked 1917, I just didn't think it was anything extraordinary. Kind of think it's only getting praise because it's a war movie.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2019 was a down year for me.

I have yet to see Joker.

I'd probably rank Us, Endgame and Crawl as my top 3 movies of the year.

I was not a huge fan of Once Upon a Time. Irishman was way too long and I struggled to make it through the second half of the film. I can easily appreciate each film for what they are, as well as the fantastic acting in both, I just wouldn't rank them when I think about my "favorite" films.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joker just hit Redbox so that's next on my list, along with The Kitchen. That looked great so hopefully the film is as good as the trailer.

Saw Rocketman over the weekend. Thought it was superb. Egerton did a fantastic job and I thought it was cool how the film wove Elton John's music into the scenes, instead of how many other music biopics tend to just feature the songs as performances or something like that. Highly recommended.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rocketman was wonderful. Such a fun movie.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    Must see Rocketman.

Must see more films in general.

Saw Jumanji - Welcome to the Jungle recently. Bloody loved that. Watched it with a smile on my face. And I've never seen the 1995 version.

Also saw The Addams Family (Animated) in the cinema last week. Nearly fell asleep, I'm afraid to say. Also, didn't see any of the films from the 90s.

Mentioned
    357 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    Joker just hit Redbox so that's next on my list, along with The Kitchen. That looked great so hopefully the film is as good as the trailer.

Saw Rocketman over the weekend. Thought it was superb. Egerton did a fantastic job and I thought it was cool how the film wove Elton John's music into the scenes, instead of how many other music biopics tend to just feature the songs as performances or something like that. Highly recommended.
    You might want to pass on that one, it's supposed to suck. 5.4/10 on imdb and 23% on RT.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mth View Post
    You might want to pass on that one, it's supposed to suck. 5.4/10 on imdb and 23% on RT.
    Ahhh. Bummer. Maybe I'll wait for it to hit Showtime or something like that instead of paying for it. Thanks, mth!

Mentioned
    437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Might see Knives Out this weekend, if the theater is still showing it. I also want to see the Gentleman and the Turning.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you know how many of my favorite movies fit that criteria of scoring? Like all of them. lol. So I either have shit taste or these sites are corny.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you know how many of my favorite movies fit that criteria of scoring? Like all of them. lol. So I either have shit taste or these sites are corny.
    It's all about taste. I tend to follow the audience score over the critics rating. For example, Con Air. I love the movie. 55% by critics; 75% by audience.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    Bloody love the film Con Air. Must watch that bad boy again.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Honey_Badger View Post
    It's all about taste. I tend to follow the audience score over the critics rating. For example, Con Air. I love the movie. 55% by critics; 75% by audience.
    Yeah IF I'm going to base my opinion on someone/something else's opinion then I'm looking at the audience score. I think the last Chappelle comedy special had like a 30% by critics and 90% by the audience. There's no depth to the quality of a critic.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Definitely deserving of best picture nominee that it got. This might crack my top 5 of the year. Loved this film and the way it was shot was unreal.

1. Parasite
    2. Lighthouse
    3. Irishman
    4. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
    5. Uncut Gems
    6. 1917
    7. Joker
    8. John Wick 3
    9. It Chapter 2
    10. Knives Out
    Last edited by PurePlayer; January 15th, 2020 at 10:17 AM.

Banned
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, I've been using (and abusing) my Amazon Prime subscription lately to catch some interesting bullshit. I love horror flicks around Halloween (duh?), but I also love them in the winter. It gets dark early, its cold, and I can settle in under a warm blanket with some munchies and a warm drink, throw on some proper headphones, and just let myself get creeped out.

So yeah, I caught:

The Door In The Woods

Not actually an Amazon Prime flick, this was a Pirate Bay special. Thank God for that. This one was a rough sit. So yeah, the story is exactly what it sounds like. A couple moves into a new house/town, they have a psychotic and mentally handicapped kid. They go on a nature hike, find an old door in the middle of a clearing. They take it home, paint it, use it as a closet door, and with that they bring in some vaguely defined evil spirits. Notably, a creepy little girl ghost. The best bits are when the mother is home alone and we get some fun, forced perspective shots of her going about her regular morning routine while she's being stalked by the creepy little ghost girl. There's a whole backstory that reads like a bad online creepypasta, about the door belonging to a house, a mysterious house where children went and when they went near it, they'd be snatched by something!.

And yeah, its pretty damn pedestrian. The kid winds up going inside. Mom and Dad take the door back to the clearing, and their deaf medicine man friend (played by an actual deaf actor) helps them break through to the other side with a series of rituals and hullabaloo that looks like a crazy man dancing in the woods and yelling - because they clearly didn't have the effects budget to show too much "otherworldly" nonsense, so we just have to pretend.

They get their kid back, doom an entire private school to a lifetime of losing children to an evil demon door, and I couldn't be happier that it ended when it did.

4.5/10.

Wrinkles The Clown

This was good fun. Based on the real-life story of Wrinkles The Clown, a Youtube sensation/creepypasta performer/viral sensation, this "documentary" partially focuses on de-sensationalizing the Wrinkles The Clown legacy, until,

We follow Wrinkles early on, a 65-year old retiree living in an RV, bumbling about in Florida and making bits of money here and thereabouts, by scaring children at the behest of parents for a significant cash payout. Wrinkles is psychological warfare against misbehaving children. The purported "Wrinkles" we meet early in the movie is basically a Rob Zombie movie character, if someone made a documentary about them. He's a dirty, white trash Floridian version of Captain Spaulding and Krusty The Clown. We get to know Wrinkles in his own words, we see how he operates, works, thinks. We get to see "real" clowns and child psychologists and actual children and actual parents weigh-in on his existence, his urban legend-like status, and his effect on childhood development.

Its fascinating shit.

8/10.
    Last edited by mth; January 17th, 2020 at 11:38 AM.

Mentioned
    357 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kind of wish you'd spoiler tagged the second half of that Wrinkles review since it gives away a pretty significant twist, it seems...

Mentioned
    437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I've rented two films, Dead Alive and Eden Lake. I've seen them both before but years ago. Will give them a watch tomorrow and Sunday.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suggest BLACK AND BLUE. I was interested in it because Luke Cage plays a "bad guy". Everyone delivered. Even Tyrese. Kind of your run of the mill good cop sees bad cops doing bad shit now bad cops are after good cop out to reveal injustice. So if you're into that with some great acting and intense moments, check it out. I think it barely clocks in at 2 hours, I wasn't paying attention as it flowed very well.

Oh....DO NOT RENT GIRL ON THE THIRD FLOOR. CM Punk.....I'm sure he could be a good actor, I need to see RABID, but holy fuck the script was terrible. 45 minutes in the disc started to skip, that was enough of a sign that even my PS4 couldn't handle it. Spoiler alert-this movie sucked. I just felt bad for Punk, he deserved better than a scene where he

TERMINATOR DARK FATE, I watched that but posted about it in the Ramble thread of this sub forum so check that out for my opinion on that movie.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watched DOCTOR SLEEP last night. Very very good. It had the elements of The Shining but presented it's own thing which I enjoyed. The best part had nothing to do with acting but the fact they incorporated some of the original score, especially the intro. Definitely a must-see. I have not read the book and I haven't even read The Shining either so that's on my bucket list. Mainly because I've heard and read that the 2 movies include and omit some pretty story-altering moments.

What I found very interesting was that instead of using old footage they just re-shot the scenes from The Shining with new actors that looked and sounded pretty damn close to the original, especially Wendy, that was very spot on.

Mentioned
    437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I saw Jojo Rabbit and Ford v Ferrari, both excellent films.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I saw Jojo Rabbit and Ford v Ferrari, both excellent films.
    I haven't seen Jojo but from the ad it looks just like a Wes Anderson film

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    188 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watched "Ad Astra" last night. While I thought it was okay overall, I somehow kept hoping there'd be more there there. Maybe because I enjoyed "The Martian" so much more. I like Brad Pitt, and thought he did a masterful performance. But I guess since this was supposed to be a space movie, I was expecting less of a psychological journey into the edge of madness.

Mentioned
    357 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't intend to watch it but then I saw that there's a scene with a baboon in it and I was like, "Well, maybe..."

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3puppies View Post
    I watched "Ad Astra" last night. While I thought it was okay overall, I somehow kept hoping there'd be more there there. Maybe because I enjoyed "The Martian" so much more. I like Brad Pitt, and thought he did a masterful performance. But I guess since this was supposed to be a space movie, I was expecting less of a psychological journey into the edge of madness.
    He's really shown throughout his career but really nailing it lately that he's one of the best actors over the last 30 years. I was impressed with Ad Astra, one of the better movies I've seen in the last 2-3 years for sure.

Didn't intend to watch it but then I saw that there's a scene with a baboon in it and I was like, "Well, maybe..."
    Oh dude....You have to watch it for that scene alone. It's actually a really good movie imo. I was surprised at how much action there was in it.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ad Astra gets two thumbs up from me.

Mentioned
    357 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'Birds of Prey' is buckets of fun.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rented Gemini Man. Not a bad movie. Interesting plot for sure. I'd suggest checking it out at least once.

I also rented Jay and Silent Bob Reboot. I can't believe I'm going to say this...but it sucked. The cameos are all that saved it. Saying it sucked might be harsh but on a scale of 1-10 I'd say it's maybe a 4. I love these movies, but it felt like when a movie has done maybe 1 too many sequels. Did we realllllly need this? No. Should have saved them for Clerks 3.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rented Gemini Man. Not a bad movie. Interesting plot for sure. I'd suggest checking it out at least once.

I also rented Jay and Silent Bob Reboot. I can't believe I'm going to say this...but it sucked. The cameos are all that saved it. Saying it sucked might be harsh but on a scale of 1-10 I'd say it's maybe a 4. I love these movies, but it felt like when a movie has done maybe 1 too many sequels. Did we realllllly need this? No. Should have saved them for Clerks 3.

I heard Justin Long did a play of his character from Zack and Miri and that alone makes me want to see it.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    I heard Justin Long did a play of his character from Zack and Miri and that alone makes me want to see it.
    Yeah I don't want to say the movie was horrible, but it did suck lol. Take out the 20 million cameos and it would have been a complete dud.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First Man

They did a good job of portraying how tense it was for these astronauts when doing their missions, whether taking off or docking in space or whatever, and the huge amount of risk they were taking that something would go wrong. But the movie was a little too morose. Neil Armstrong comes off as a guy in desperate need of therapy, with a suffering wife, both of them surrounded by death. And hey, maybe that was true to life. Maybe Neil was a glum guy, out of touch with his feelings while dealing with grief as I'm sure many men were in the 60s. It didn't make for particularly compelling cinema, however. It didn't even really pay off in the end, when he returned home after landing on the moon. It felt like he and his wife still wouldn't find happiness.

This movie had a fair amount of the good sciencey NASA stuff like Apollo 13 but was not nearly as compelling and the story structure was lacking. It was anti-climatic.

6/10

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought they did a perfect job embodying how much Neil's daughter meant to him, how much it affected him, and carried that throughout the entire story. He wasn't the same after that loss, and the film did an amazing job of showing those emotions. I also thought Gosling portrayed Armstrong to perfection.

I would give the film an 8/10.

Jason Clarke's performance stole the show for me.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'Birds of Prey' is buckets of fun.
    So I'm curious after seeing some people knocking the attendance, was it dead? I mean, it was #1 at the box office, but only pulled in 33 million on a 90 million budget. So I get it. Now they're "changing the name" to help, which I believe all they did was add her name in front of Birds of Prey. I mean, I'll be honesT I wasn't expecting this movie to be a fuckin banger at the box office making Marvel money but if the tickets weren't selling I don't really know why.

It looks awesome, I plan on taking my 15 year old daughter with me to see it this weekend or the following.

I mean, #1 at the box office is great imo. Maybe not from a business end when you think about the budget versus how much they pulled in. Right now it's at like 80 million worldwide so it's not like they won't make up the money in the long run, especially once it drops on blu ray/dvd/digital.

But is adding "Harley Quinn" to the fucking title going to change anything really? Plus it's rated R. Those don't typically smash the box office as it is and this character appeals to such a wide age demographic I can't see a lot of parents being cool taking their 9 year old to see this.

Mentioned
    357 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There were kids at the show we went to. Like, yeah, a couple girls were 9 or so. Theater wasn't packed but seemed pretty full to me (hard to gauge when folks start coming in during the previews and I'm not really turning around in my chair). I don't think changing the title is going to make a difference, it always seemed from the ads/trailers, etc., that this was a Harley flick featuring the BoP. I am surprised it's not doing so hot considering she's always seemed to be a very popular character and even though Suicide Squad was shit, she was praised as one of the few redeeming things about it, and a lot of chicks were dressing up as her, etc. I figured the R rating would help it if anything, too, 'cuz more of the older crowd might check it out rather than dismiss it as a kids' comicbook flick. I mean, it's basically Deadpool without the annoying try-hard winking 4th wall shit so ramped up.

Anyway, i don't know, all I know is @Melly and I both thought it was a great time and really liked it.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There were kids at the show we went to. Like, yeah, a couple girls were 9 or so. Theater wasn't packed but seemed pretty full to me (hard to gauge when folks start coming in during the previews and I'm not really turning around in my chair). I don't think changing the title is going to make a difference, it always seemed from the ads/trailers, etc., that this was a Harley flick featuring the BoP. I am surprised it's not doing so hot considering she's always seemed to be a very popular character and even though Suicide Squad was shit, she was praised as one of the few redeeming things about it, and a lot of chicks were dressing up as her, etc. I figured the R rating would help it if anything, too, 'cuz more of the older crowd might check it out rather than dismiss it as a kids' comicbook flick. I mean, it's basically Deadpool without the annoying try-hard winking 4th wall shit so ramped up.

Anyway, i don't know, all I know is @Melly and I both thought it was a great time and really liked it.
    I like how you start off with saying how there were kids, you even knew the age of some of them that just so happened to be around my youngest's age lol.....Then you close it with "It's basically Deadpool" Jesus Christ who is taking their kids to a movie that's like Deadpool???

I remember years ago when Kick Ass came out, my ex-wife took my son who was like 9-10 at the time to it and she didn't even think about the R rating or the reviews, nothing. She said he was the only person under age at the movie and she felt like a shit parent. To an extent, yeah I would too. But then again my mom who is as sweet as any mom could be took my brother and I to see Freddy's Dead. I was maybe 10, he was 7 lol. She also ran every Spencer's Gifts in Iowa for about 20 years but at home she was like Oprah meets Mary Poppins lol.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I don't want to say the movie was horrible, but it did suck lol. Take out the 20 million cameos and it would have been a complete dud.
    Cameos are the worst part of these films.

I love how we both like Smith's films but can't seem to agree on shit about them.

Mentioned
    357 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like how you start off with saying how there were kids, you even knew the age of some of them that just so happened to be around my youngest's age lol.....Then you close it with "It's basically Deadpool" Jesus Christ who is taking their kids to a movie that's like Deadpool???

I remember years ago when Kick Ass came out, my ex-wife took my son who was like 9-10 at the time to it and she didn't even think about the R rating or the reviews, nothing. She said he was the only person under age at the movie and she felt like a shit parent. To an extent, yeah I would too. But then again my mom who is as sweet as any mom could be took my brother and I to see Freddy's Dead. I was maybe 10, he was 7 lol. She also ran every Spencer's Gifts in Iowa for about 20 years but at home she was like Oprah meets Mary Poppins lol.
    Always fun reading through Google and IMDB movie reviews for stuff like this and Deadpool where stupid parents just assume it's a fun comicbook flick for kids and then LOSE THEIR SHIT when they discover TO THEIR HORROR that it's not. When i saw Deadpool, a dude and his kid walked out. I didn't notice any of the parents/kids at BoP bail on it, though. If they think their 9 yo daughter can handle it, maybe she can.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cameos are the worst part of these films.

I love how we both like Smith's films but can't seem to agree on shit about them.
    lol. VERY TRUE. One of my closest friends is a super fan of Smith and we run into the same issue where we're sometimes on the same page but often times not.

When it comes to this movie in terms of cameos, it's all that saved it for me. I didn't have high expectations or anything because I knew that Kevin had to get outside investors and gofundme type shit right? Trying to remember his recent appearance on the Joe Rogan podcast where he went in depth about the process of getting this movie made.

I will say that I was a little sad that I missed the fan viewing with him but I believe it was in a town about an hour or 2 away from Des Moines. That would have been cool especially with the Q&A they do after the movie.

Always fun reading through Google and IMDB movie reviews for stuff like this and Deadpool where stupid parents just assume it's a fun comicbook flick for kids and then LOSE THEIR SHIT when they discover TO THEIR HORROR that it's not. When i saw Deadpool, a dude and his kid walked out. I didn't notice any of the parents/kids at BoP bail on it, though. If they think their 9 yo daughter can handle it, maybe she can.
    They probably didn't leave because it's like $50 for 2 people lol. That's why I go before 4pm, tickets are only $5.50!

And yeah, taking your kid to Deadpool.....Idiots. I heard Birds of Prey doesn't have a lot of violence, it's mainly the language that gave it the R rating so that's not bad.

Mentioned
    357 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh no, it's got a lot of violence.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh no, it's got a lot of violence.
    Was it the other way around then? A lot of violence, not much cussing? I don't know, a friend of mine who was knocking the movie and arguing about the R rating with people I thought said that the violence wasn't much but the cussing was plentiful.

Either way I'm not taking a fucking 9 year old to it. I'm taking a 15 year old it.

Mentioned
    357 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of both.

Mentioned
    437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I saw the Birds of Prey TV show when it was on.... WB I think, maybe 15 years ago at this point. I loved it.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw the Birds of Prey TV show when it was on.... WB I think, maybe 15 years ago at this point. I loved it.
    I honestly didn't even know they had a show! This is crazy. After reading up on it real quick, I need to watch it.

tag champ
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honey Boy is up on Amazon Prime. If you get a chance, please watch. Shia Lebeouf has penned a very interesting introspective into his life. He wrote it while in rehab. Shia plays the part of his father, who is dealing with his own demons. I really wish I would have seen it last year at the theater, but it was still a great watch at home.

Banned
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For anyone who doesn't think "Birds Of Prey: Harley Quinn's Emancipation Proclamation: The Fantabulous Misadventures Of One Miss Harley Quinn Episode 1: The Suicide Squad Menace Part 2: Electric Margot Robbie-A-Loo" doesn't have a lot of violence apparently doesn't know or hasn't heard that the team behind "Margot Robbie's Hot Cosplay Adventures" hired the John Wick fight choreography team to handle all the action bits.

You don't pay for the John Wick dudes if you're not going to pack your movie with action coming out of every orifice.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    anyone here ever see The Void? I don't even know how to explain it. it was quite the movie

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Long Shot

This was a good Seth Rogen rom-com. Seth is Seth (I like Seth so that's a good thing), and Charlize Theron is excellent in the role of the really hot presidential candidate who Seth ends up dating. Theron elevates this script to the next level for sure and you could argue that she is the lead character over Seth since she has the main arc of the movie.

I didn't like it as much as Knocked Up, which seems like a natural comparison since that's the definitive Seth Rogen rom-com where he dates a hot blonde who should be out of his league. It doesn't hit the comedic highs or dramatic highs of Knocked Up. This movie felt like Knocked Up meets The Interview, in that it weaves in some Rogen-y comedy about politics (in this case US politics rather than North Korean). Bob Odenkirk has a small but funny role as the President.

7/10

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I like Seth Rogen, but I couldn't finish The Long Shot.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    anyone here ever see The Void? I don't even know how to explain it. it was quite the movie
    The Thing meets Hellraiser.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see the girl who played Knives from Scott Pilgrim has a role so I'll check it out based solely on that cast member.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Thing meets Hellraiser.
    Well put

Mentioned
    437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Is the Void on Netflix?

Bagel
    Is the Void on Netflix?
    The site I use, instant watcher, doesn't show that it is but don't remember it being removed. Interesting film, it was better than I thought it would be, and a little different than I expected also.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well put
    I liked it. Though it couldnt make up its mind what kind of movie it wanted to be. I'd be down for a sequel which they did sort of set up.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I quote Vince McMahon in regards to my sentiment on Knives Out: "That's good shit, pal."

Banned
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Void starts off as an "Assault On Precinct 13" - style raid on a hospital by a bunch of cult guys and eventually devolves into something straight out of Cthulhu and some end of the world, "things that should not be" crazy shit.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On a general note, I just wanted to highlight this movie review website that I think is excellent. The reviews themselves are really entertaining but also well thought out and fair.

https://www.alternateending.com/

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely check out 21 BRIDGES. Very slick movie, very impressed with Black Panther and it has a pretty solid cast in general. It just came out on DVD so rent it or whatever the fuck you kids do these days.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crazy Rich Asians

I really enjoyed this. One of the best rom-coms I've seen in the past 5 years. And the fully Asian cast/setting made it all the more interesting. A must-see for any fan of rom-coms.

7.7/10

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watched about 95% of JoJo Rabbit last night. Fell asleep for about 10-15 minutes during it and then ultimately just shut it off before the end. I just wasn't feeling it. A couple good parts, but it wasn't that funny or interesting.

My best friend is Jewish. He was on the fence about watching it because 99% of movies about this subject matter is pretty grim even movies like Inglorious Bastards is a pretty fuckin rugged movie. I told him this wasn't Schindler's List by any means but I did tell him if he had the time to check it out and he might find some humor in it.

5/10

Mentioned
    437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Poppycock, Jojo Rabbit is easily 8 or 9/10

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Poppycock, Jojo Rabbit is easily 8 or 9/10
    Maybe I wasn't high enough.

It's one of the few movies in the last couple years I shut off out of boredom. Most recently CM Punk's Girl on the 3rd Floor. That movie SUUUUUUCKED.

Mentioned
    437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Maybe I wasn't high enough.

It's one of the few movies in the last couple years I shut off out of boredom. Most recently CM Punk's Girl on the 3rd Floor. That movie SUUUUUUCKED.
    Eh, I saw it in the movie theaters, and I think that always adds to the feel of a movie. I could name several movies that I enjoyed in the theater but then watching it at home I'm like "How did I ever like this?"

I'd be surprised if anyone like a movie starring CM Punk.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eh, I saw it in the movie theaters, and I think that always adds to the feel of a movie. I could name several movies that I enjoyed in the theater but then watching it at home I'm like "How did I ever like this?"

I'd be surprised if anyone like a movie starring CM Punk.
    lol. The concept was there, he had the look down, it was just the absurd dialogue that you had to hear him spit out. Plus, and I'm doing this to save people the time and effort, but there's a scene where he literally jerks off to weird porn on his cell while his dog watches.

I'll tell you what, if you want to cringe uncontrollably throughout a movie, get you some of this Girl on the 3rd Floor action lol. I think what really fucks it up is that it's CM Punk and sometimes it's hard to distance what you know of someone and what you're being given. I'm sure that was an issue people had with Mr Nanny haha.

I heard he's actually pretty good in Rabid.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol. The concept was there, he had the look down, it was just the absurd dialogue that you had to hear him spit out. Plus, and I'm doing this to save people the time and effort, but there's a scene where he literally jerks off to weird porn on his cell while his dog watches.

I'll tell you what, if you want to cringe uncontrollably throughout a movie, get you some of this Girl on the 3rd Floor action lol. I think what really fucks it up is that it's CM Punk and sometimes it's hard to distance what you know of someone and what you're being given. I'm sure that was an issue people had with Mr Nanny haha.

I heard he's actually pretty good in Rabid.
    It was a little cringey. Also mostly just boring. Scarry movies need to get to it. It is important as fuck not to diddle around. Get to the scares and explain what in the fuck is going on. Otherwise it's boring.

Juat watched Ma last night. Different kind of movie. Same problem. Just get on with it. You don't have to go 90 minutes if you only have an hour of story. Just get to it already.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watched Marriage Story on Saturday night.

The performances in that movie were electric. Scar Jo was particularity amazing. Adam Driver can act. I thought they told a great story. As most marriage stories go, they made Adam Driver's character out to be the bad guy more so than not, but also created some nice empathy for him throughout the movie, especially when it came to their son.

I'd rate it a 7/10.

The acting for sure carried the film.

Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dolemite Is My Name

I don't know anything about Rudy Ray Moore, or blaxploitation movies, or any of the cultural context surrounding the real life events depicted in this film. I do know that Eddie Murphy has been a worthless hack for 20+ years and this was by miles the best thing he has done this millennium. The film isn't life changing or anything, but it's really well acted particularly by Da'Vine Joy Randolph and a really entertaining minor role from Wesley Snipes, and is funny as hell in several places. Well worth spending two hours on.

7/10

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fuck I'm not doing so good guys on these highly praised movies.

KNIVES OUT

Mediocre. Started off cool, but halfway through I was ready to shut it off. Rode it out for my love of Captain America and Lori Strove but it was a mess.

5.5/10

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fuck I'm not doing so good guys on these highly praised movies.

KNIVES OUT

Mediocre. Started off cool, but halfway through I was ready to shut it off. Rode it out for my love of Captain America and Lori Strove but it was a mess.

5.5/10
    I too found it very overrated

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Knives Out was good fun.

Also, "Lori Strove"?

World Champion
    Mentioned
    127 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm guessing he meant Strode.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beer-Belly View Post
    Knives Out was good fun.

Also, "Lori Strove"?
    Yes, Laurie Strode's doppleganger.

I knew that name didn't look right when I posted it. I'm not a Halloween guy lol.

Bagel
    21 Bridges was better than I expected. Grabbed it from Redbox last week, along with I See You. Both were worth a watch, and I'd probably watch them again.
    I See You reminded me of Summer of 84 meets Clovehitch Killer

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Yes, Laurie Strode's doppleganger.

I knew that name didn't look right when I posted it. I'm not a Halloween guy lol.
    I'm a Halloween fanatic and I've seen the original film an embarrassing amount of times. Actually went to see it at a local theater that plays classic movies last year, and it's pretty cool to see how effective it still is with audiences. People jumped, gasped and laughed at all the right moments.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a Halloween fanatic and I've seen the original film an embarrassing amount of times. Actually went to see it at a local theater that plays classic movies last year, and it's pretty cool to see how effective it still is with audiences. People jumped, gasped and laughed at all the right moments.
    Idk If I got your opinions on the newer one. Thoughts?

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hit and Run (2012)

I may have seen this before but I wanted to circle back to it since I listen to Dax Shepard's podcast all the time now and feel like he and Kristen Bell are my new favorite celebrity couple. Knowing Dax as well as I now know him due to his podcast, it was fun to see he and his friends on screen living out Dax's ideal movie with all the car chases and mini philosophical debates and whatnot. This movie is so Dax.

And it's pretty enjoyable. It's impressive that they made it for only $2 million given that it has a good amount of lengthy car chases and a cast that includes post-Hangover Bradley Cooper. Part of the fun of this movie is those ridiculous car chases which are so over the top and silly that it makes you laugh, and some other throwback tropes from old action movies like the idea of punching someone once and having them be immediately unconscious to the point where you can move their body as needed. It's intentionally silly in that way. Kristen Bell is the MVP of this movie from an acting perspective. I adore her. Tom Arnold is also really funny. And the Bradley Cooper buttfuck bits are pretty hysterical.

This movie is a solid action comedy.

7/10

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Idk If I got your opinions on the newer one. Thoughts?
    I loved it. It's my second favorite after the original. My only nitpick is that the comedic moments become a little distracting.

I've read about Halloween Kills. Test audiences dig it. It sounds cold blooded.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I loved it. It's my second favorite after the original. My only nitpick is that the comedic moments become a little distracting.

Same. Best they've done since the original by a wide wide margin.

Mentioned
    437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I'd like to ask how many times do you think? A couple of years ago I watched it every day in the month of October. This year alone I've seen it at least five times, but it is my favorite movie. I think I average once a month probably. Only seen the new Halloween twice though, enjoyed it the first time but the second time I thought "It's not as good as I thought it was". Still, looking forward to the new one.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't realize that they had asked Paul Rudd to reprise his role as Tommy but had to turn it down which is why we get our boy Anthony Michael Muthafuckin Hall in the role.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagel View Post
    21 Bridges was better than I expected. Grabbed it from Redbox last week, along with I See You. Both were worth a watch, and I'd probably watch them again.
    I See You reminded me of Summer of 84 meets Clovehitch Killer
    If you liked The Clovehitch Killer and Summer of 84, I recommend a movie called Super Dark Times.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Watched the Upside. 8/10.

Bagel
    If you liked The Clovehitch Killer and Summer of 84, I recommend a movie called Super Dark Times.
    I got that from Netflix awhile ago, sometime last year. I think Summer of 84 showed up as recommended with that one. Both were movies I knew nothing about yet really liked them.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I got that from Netflix awhile ago, sometime last year. I think Summer of 84 showed up as recommended with that one. Both were movies I knew nothing about yet really liked them.
    I expected Super Dark Times to be a coming of age/high school kids dealing with tragedy movie. It is that, but holy shit does it take a turn in the third act. I wasn't expecting things to get that intense.

Bagel
    I expected Super Dark Times to be a coming of age/high school kids dealing with tragedy movie. It is that, but holy shit does it take a turn in the third act. I wasn't expecting things to get that intense.
    Same here. At that point I was like "Holy shit what did I just see?"

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Same here. At that point I was like "Holy shit what did I just see?"
    It was harrowing in a way a lot of horror films aren't.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watched 2 movies this weekend. "Rabid". It wasn't terrible. You know who was? Our boy CM Punk. Nothing really to do with him but the last 2 movies I've seen him in he had the worst dialogue. In this movie he called a woman everything but the N word then closed it with "Toots". Who the fuck uses the term "toots"?

The other movie I watched was "The Lighthouse" Didn't really know what to expect and I was impressed. It was weird as fuck, felt like I was watching a silent film era movie due to the way it was shot. Ultimately it blew Rabid out the water.

And I know it's not a movie but I bought the new Swamp Thing series on DVD. 1 episode in and I can see why a lot of people were digging it.

Mentioned
    357 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That Swamp Thing series is fucking ACE. So pissed it got cancelled.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That Swamp Thing series is fucking ACE. So pissed it got cancelled.
    The only positive with that whole situation is that it wasn't like the show sucked or the powers that be didn't want another season. Wasn't it like a budget fuck up? So we can only hope that we'll get another season maybe in 2021.

Mentioned
    357 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Creative differences and budget. I wouldn't hold out hope for another season but Swampy did cameo in the Arrowverse at least.

Mentioned
    437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Who the fuck uses the term "toots"?
    Toots Mondt?

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Toots Mondt?
    Not anymore he doesn't lol

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll be honest. I thought this was a biopic about Mister Rogers. So when it starts out the way it does I had to look up the premise because I just blindly rented it based on "This is a fucking good movie" opinion from many. Sure enough, it was a fucking good movie!

Very uplifting, definitely took me way way back to when I was a little kid watching the show but again, it's not really about Mister Rogers. But the positive vibes are there. One thing I did find curious in my "falling down the rabbit hole" about Fred Rogers is that the show went all the way until 2001. 33 years I believe that show was on tv. That's insane and a true testament of what he brought to the table.