Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Movie Review Thread

Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudz Mackenzie View Post
    Does Space Jam 2 at least have a Wayne Knight cameo?
    Nope.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw that it does have a Rick and Morty cameo, though, which is weird.

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Snake Eyes was fire. I've always loved GI Joe. The live action movies could've been better, this one is definitely the best of the 3 we've had so far imo. Definitely interested in what other "origin" movies they have lined up.

Intercontinental Champion
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Melly View Post
    I finally got around much late to watching Saving Private Ryan. Damn WHAT A MOVIE!!
    We saw Saving Private Ryan on its opening weekend, and I remember the buzz leaving the theatre was amazing. The only other movies I have personally experienced that type of immediate positive response were Silence of the Lambs and ET, the Extra Terrestrial. My older sister got to see Jaws on its opening weekend and she tells me that it had a similar reaction. My dad told me the same thing about The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly and when he was a pre-teen, he saw the original King Kong on its opening weekend. When you leave the theater, everyone knows they've just watched something special.

Back then it was legit word of mouth that would mean the difference between a movie being profitable and becoming a blockbuster smash.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3puppies View Post
    We saw Saving Private Ryan on its opening weekend, and I remember the buzz leaving the theatre was amazing. The only other movies I have personally experienced that type of immediate positive response were Silence of the Lambs and ET, the Extra Terrestrial. My older sister got to see Jaws on its opening weekend and she tells me that it had a similar reaction. My dad told me the same thing about The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly and when he was a pre-teen, he saw the original King Kong on its opening weekend. When you leave the theater, everyone knows they've just watched something special.

Back then it was legit word of mouth that would mean the difference between a movie being profitable and becoming a blockbuster smash.
    The end always gets me.

When it hit the theaters my dad asked his dad if he wanted to go see it. My dad had heard that it was one of the most realistic portrayals of Normandy ever filmed, and my grandfather was at Normandy. I'll never forget my grandfather's response. He shook his head and said "it's not that realistic." That was the end of that conversation.
    Last edited by BigAl; July 29th, 2021 at 9:21 AM.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought A Quiet Place 2 was alright. Didn't blow me away as it pretty much just worked a lot of the gags from the first one but it was still worth a watch.

Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by BGMaverick View Post
    I thought A Quiet Place 2 was alright. Didn't blow me away as it pretty much just worked a lot of the gags from the first one but it was still worth a watch.
    Felt like it was more of a set up for the next film than anything

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    The end always gets me.

When it hit the theaters my dad asked his dad if he wanted to go see it. My dad had heard that it was one of the most realistic portrayals of Normandy ever filmed, and my grandfather was at Normandy. I'll never forget my grandfather's response. He shook his head and said "it's not that realistic." That was the end of that conversation.
    I've heard it's one of the most realistic, but it's also still pretty tame. Probably hard to pass a PG/PG-13 rating if they did it the realist way possible.

My dad's brother was in Vietnam and he said that Platoon was pretty close to how the soldiers acted toward each other and all the shit they had to deal with concerning the environment. He came back from the war and spent a few months naked in his parents attic smoking weed chillin on plastic furniture. I thought they meant like lawn chairs and shit, no, plastic couch, plastic chairs, no clue why.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Old:

Cinematography was really, really good for this. It felt like an extended/highly-produced throwback episode of the The Twilight Zone. Was alright but I wouldn't feel bad if I never saw this in the first place.

Banned
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My only big problem with the "A Quiet Place" movies is, you've got aliens or whatever that only hunt via sound and have exceptionally sharp hearing. But nobody in the interim thought they should try weaponizing sound against them? Just blowing their Goddamn ears off with an overwhelming blare of sound as either a means of escape or hurting them?

Every day should be like the Goddamn Fourth of July in the Quiet Place universe. Light up fireworks constantly to overwhelm and distract the aliens and then move en masse from place to place.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I saw The Green Knight last night. Absolutely wonderful movie. Such a fun take on Arthurian legends.

I don't want to spoil, but I want as many people as possible to see this movie.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sunshine - Had heard about this film and that it was good and maybe an underrated masterpiece and some stuff like that so I decided to give it a look. It was fine but nothing special. Fair amount of sci-fi tropes and I didn't really give a shit about any of the characters. Some nice visuals and effects, though. OK/10

----

Just finished the Fear Street trilogy on Netflix. Absolute crap. Don't waste your time.
    Last edited by mth; August 2nd, 2021 at 11:50 PM.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OUT OF DEATH

Yeah.....I love Bruce Willis but you can 100% tell when he's phoning it in. I watched the movie with him and Edge, Money Plane or whatever the fuck. He had a few lines but man they sucked. Go watch Planet Terror, dude was written into the movie simply for visiting the set and he killed it with a few lines because he knew that movie was the shit.

This movie....Let's just say I rented Wrath of Man as well so this better make up for it. 2/10. Don't even waste your time because it's dumb as fuck.

Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Watching new Suicide Squad. Pretty good so far.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Just finished it. Pretty good. Maybe a little longer than necessary.

Make sure you watch the after credits.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    Just finished it. Pretty good. Maybe a little longer than necessary.

Make sure you watch the after credits.
    Definitely longer than it needed to be but still entertaining.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Val

Beautiful and sad look at Val Kilmer's career. Seeing how he is now and what he's been through, it's so heartbreaking.

made me cry buckets. Just wanted to hug him so bad.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VHS View Post
    Val

Beautiful and sad look at Val Kilmer's career. Seeing how he is now and what he's been through, it's so heartbreaking.

made me cry buckets. Just wanted to hug him so bad.
    Have you seen that thing going around social media where people keep saying that what Val Kilmer actually said in Tombstone is "I'm your hucklebearer?" Claiming it's a famously misheard line?

Meanwhile that isn't true. He clearly says "I'm your huckleberry." It's even the title of his fucking autobiography. Yet I've seen this bullshit all over Twitter and tiktok the last few days.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid_Planet View Post
    Have you seen that thing going around social media where people keep saying that what Val Kilmer actually said in Tombstone is "I'm your hucklebearer?" Claiming it's a famously misheard line?

Meanwhile that isn't true. He clearly says "I'm your huckleberry." It's even the title of his fucking autobiography. Yet I've seen this bullshit all over Twitter and tiktok the last few days.
    Fuckin amateurs.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Suicide Squad - Nothing life changing but a good fun time. Certainly an improvement over the 2016 flick. King Shark is my dude. Probably give it a 7/10.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Went to “Free Guy” tonight; it was pretty freaking solid, Ryan Reynolds is a goddamn Canadian treasure.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea Suicide Squad was solid. James Gunn knows what hes doing and its nice to have R-rated comic movies like this or Deadpool - they stand out against the typical PG-13 ones. Lots of blood and guts and gory kills in this. Fun stuff. Idris Elba was great. Cena was okay- Im not his biggest fan in general. Hes always seemed pretty bland and block headish.

7.8/10

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mth View Post
    The Suicide Squad - Nothing life changing but a good fun time. Certainly an improvement over the 2016 flick. King Shark is my dude. Probably give it a 7/10.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fro View Post
    Yea Suicide Squad was solid. James Gunn knows what he’s doing and it’s nice to have R-rated comic movies like this or Deadpool - they stand out against the typical PG-13 ones. Lots of blood and guts and gory kills in this. Fun stuff. Idris Elba was great. Cena was okay- I’m not his biggest fan in general. He’s always seemed pretty bland and block headish.

7.8/10
    I definitely enjoyed this one more than the first.

James Gunn's Troma history shined in this one. I was pretty shocked with the level of gore but it was slick. It had a Deadpool 2 vibe going. I'll definitely watch it a few more times for sure.

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had a bit of insomnia last night and stumbled across a movie called "Spare Room". I really enjoyed this, particularly the acting by Skylar Samuels.

Spare Room (imdb.com)

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RUNNING WITH THE DEVIL

Terrible. Even for a Redbox rental. I thought with the cast it had it might be something but the movie was lame as fuck.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vacation Friends - Saw John Cena plugging this on his recent media rounds and I like Lil Rel Howery, the wife wanted to give it a look, too, and it has about a 65% average review which is shit but whatever, comedy is subjective. Anyway, yeah, that 65% is about right if not a bit generous. It was generic AF, hits all the beats you would expect, formulaic as all hell, not really anything that was laugh out loud funny, just a smirks and chuckles is about it. Having said that, the cast is likeable and it's moderately amusing but I wouldn't recommend anyone really bother. The YouTube show we watched afterwards was much funnier.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Malignant

100% worth checking out. Clever, I dug the pace, the right balance of gore. There was action which caught me by surprise.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't watched it just yet so I'll probably edit this post later but I just rented Night of the ANIMATED Dead at Redbox. Love Romero, so I hope this does his legacy justice.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I watched The Guilty and didn't like it that much. Maybe something got lost in translation.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watched Alien: Covenant last week. I did not enjoy it much.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mth View Post
    I watched Alien: Covenant last week. I did not enjoy it much.
    I dig all these Alien movies, including the Predator crossovers. Covenant was good but it wasn't as good as others. Since someone has to be at the bottom I would put this at the bottom of the Alien movies.

I was actually more intrigued by Covenant after finding out Danny McBride helped write it. Just like Jordan Peele I forget that just because someone is known for comedy doesn't mean that's all they can do.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    I watched The Guilty and didn't like it that much. Maybe something got lost in translation.
    I'm going to check it out because of who's in it but to me, the previews reminded me of the Halle Berry movie WWE put out years ago. That's solely based on the Netflix preview I saw the other night.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just watched The Rocketeer. Pretty sure I haven't seen it since I saw it in theater as a kid. It was ok. I don't really watch a lot of movies in the vein of Disney family-friendly drama with a splash of comedy with a rousing cinamatic score and whatnot so it was kind of a nice change of pace.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Graduate (1967)

I had never seen this before, and I thought it was pretty mediocre. Hoffman's performance was not great. He spits out his lines like a monotonous awkward stiff. Also not that this is a big deal, but he's a 30 year old playing a 20 year old in this movie, and he looks 30. The story is solid enough but the turn in the movie where he's taking out the daughter (because he has no choice) and is stonewalling her, but then she gets upset and they go get burgers, then he somehow falls in love with her.... I felt that turn happened out of nowhere and the writing was weak. There was no chemistry between he and the daughter or anything cute that happened which justified him being like "oh now I'm in love with the one person I can't be in love with". It was just like, hey we're eating burgers and having a short conversation... okay now I'm in love with you and the 2nd half of the movie can commence.

I can see why this movie was so popular in the 60s (I presume because movies kinda stunk back then in general) but I don't think it holds up well. This would not be worthy of being on a list of best rom-coms or best dramatic comedies IMO.

Mr. Feeny as the snobby father was cool, though.

The Simon and Garfunkel soundtrack is good/classic too but I didn't find the music editing to be all that great. They kind of just kept using the same songs again and again during transition scenes.
    Last edited by Fro; October 7th, 2021 at 11:17 AM.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Premise and cinematography for Malignant was pretty good but one particular scene near the end veered off into an action movie. That was kind of jarring lol. Think they could have chopped off a good 10-20 minutes of the story and it would have been a bit better.

Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just watched "Good on Paper" the other night on NetFlix. I had no idea what it was going to be about, and it was kinda fun. Later found out it was mostly based on a true story.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa

This review makes me want to watch the movie.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's good, because the trailer certainly doesn't.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    demrepcongo
    Can we not have anything good anymore?

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    I thought the trailer looked really really good.

Mentioned
    118 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Fro View Post
    That's good, because the trailer certainly doesn't.
    Because it doesn't reveal every plot point of the movie making it pointless to watch it? I like that aspect. It has gotten some good reviews too. Nypost gave it 4.5/5. Deadline liked it. IGN gave it a 9.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Halloween Kills:

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank God that article is in the minority. Nobody really gives 2 shits about the 2006 Ghostbusters because everyone saw it for what it was. The only reason to go see it is for the cameos. The new one looks dope.

Halloween Kills was really good as well. I'm a big big fan of the Halloween series. It's my #2 right below Elm St.