Thread: Movie Review Thread

I live life on the edge...I tell angry women to relax
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fro View Post
    Chef (2014)

I enjoyed this. It's exactly what you'd expect. The amount of shots that just focus on cooking are a little gratuitous, so if you're someone who doesn't like watching delicious food being prepared on film then avoid this movie, lol. They really put a lot of those in there, as if they were combining the appeal of the Food Network with a fictional movie. Favreau is good, the script is solid, it's a feel-good chef father/son story. It isn't anything amazing but I think it further shows Favreau's talents that he can still write/direct this nice small chef movie even as he has graduated to making studio-defining critically acclaimed blockbusters. The guy's stock is soaring (mind you this came out 6 years ago but nevertheless).

7/10
    This was great. I saw it around the same time I saw Burnt (which is fantastic) and I fully expected this to be not as good but I was wrong. It was fun to watch. John Leguizamo was very good in his role.

Supposedly this is what Favreau focused on after he was denied the chance to write and direct Avengers.

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Took a break from shark flicks this past week to try some other stuff. Review dump aaaaand go:

Zombieland: Double Tap - Kind of forgot the first one a bit but this was fine. Humor was a bit cringey and try-hard at times but overall it was a good bit of dumb fun. The ditzy blonde chick absolutely stole the show and was far and away the best thing in the movie.

Big Ass Spider! - I expected this to be super shit like the shark flicks I've been watching but you guys...this was actually good. Like, surprisingly good. It's a throwback monster movie, B-movie type thing but it was super entertaining, there were actually some decent scares, likeable characters, it was kind of charming. I highly recommend it.

Piranha (1978) - A Jaws knock-off/parody that was stupid fun. if you dig stuff like Friday the 13th, you'll dig this. Stupid plot, stupid characters, tits, gore, bad effects, it's a good time.

Barney Burman's Wild Boar - Another one that was better than I expected. Basically, some stupid treasure hunters end up in a Planet of the Apes-type situation except instead of apes it's pig-people. The pig-people are pretty cool and the tension/drama is pretty good. Some decent gore, as well. It seemed like it was going to be cheap indy garbage but exceeded my expectations.

Happiest Season - Wife and I decided to give this a try since I'd seen some talk of it lately. Outside of the lesbian couple/coming out angle, it's pretty by the numbers rom-com stuff and follows the standard formula. Some of the humors worth a chuckle and some's a little eye-rolly but its heart's in the right place and the rom part is fairly effective, and the L(GBTQ) twist on the old standard does freshen it up and make for a good message.

Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I still haven't checked out Zombieland: Double Tap yet, but I reckon I'll dig it if it's anything like the first one.

Intercontinental Champion
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw four films over the holidays.

Wonder Woman was

Soul was

Mulan (the live action version)

I finally saw the Bill Murray version of "Scrooged" I find Bill Murray hard to take sometimes, but this film was never trying to be Citizen Kane. A few friends love this, while others think it's among the worst thing he's ever done.
    Last edited by 3puppies; December 28th, 2020 at 12:02 AM.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DVDA View Post
    I still haven't checked out Zombieland: Double Tap yet, but I reckon I'll dig it if it's anything like the first one.
    It's everything the first one was. Fucking hilarious.

Mentioned
    246 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw Unhinged over the weekend, and I really enjoyed it. Russell Crowe may be in my top 10 favorite actors list. This gets 8/10 from me.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany
    I quite liked wonder woman. it was fun and the story progressed well enough to keep you interested. I'm sure I could nit pick certain things but I just went along for the ride. Kinda makes me want to watch the 1st one again.

Mentioned
    246 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Christmas Chronicles 2 wasn't as good as the first, and the effects seemed to have dipped in quality too, but it was still an enjoying film.

The Princess Switch, with Vanessa Hudgens was also enjoyable. Need to watch the 2nd one.

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Midnight Sky

This was one of those movies where they don't really tell you exactly what the fuck is going on in detail so for the most part I was just into the visuals and the 2 stories that meet in a somewhat predictable yet fascinating way.

Wonder Woman 1984
    I was really into it. Great villains, always have a soft spot for movies that try to capture the magic of the 80's. And how about that end credits scene?

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    I didnt mind Wonder Woman 1984 despite its absurd plot and awful character development it borrowed a lot from the Donner Superman movies.

What I found unforgivable is for a film set in the 80s was no classic 80s music on the soundtrack and I found it weird that she had sex with sine random stranger who was possessed by her dead boyfriends ghost and we were supposed to find this a touching scene.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Sat down and watched Milan last night. Went into it very skeptical, but I greatly enjoyed it. It flew by, the visuals were great, the story was simple, and the lead actress was fantastic. Did not expect to enjoy it so much, but I thought it was a very, very solid film.

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Booksmart - A pair of nerdy teen girls decide to get wild for their last night of high school and go to the big party. Fairly formulaic plot and some of the humor is a little cringe but overall, it's cute and amusing with some good laughs and heart.

Spirited Away - Wife and I decided we needed to get caught up on some of the big anime flicks so we started with this one. Reminded me a lot of Alice in Wonderland, very imaginative and lots of crazy characters and situations, a bit hard to follow just what in the hell was going on at times but that did help make it less predictable. Pretty good overall.

My Neighbor Totoro - Now this one was just wonderful. Ours was the most recent English dub and the voice acting was very good. On top of that I was super impressed by how well the two kids were done, animated to move like kids, and behaved like kids. Adorable, joyful, adventurous, and a bit weird (but not as much as SA) but in the best way. Loved it, highly recommend, especially if you're looking for a pick me up these days.

Forgot another one:

Hunt for the Wilderpeople - Charming, funny, lots of heart. Got a little choked at the end. Gorgeous New Zealand setting.
    Last edited by mth; January 4th, 2021 at 10:01 PM.

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
    I didnt mind Wonder Woman 1984 despite its absurd plot and awful character development it borrowed a lot from the Donner Superman movies.

What I found unforgivable is for a film set in the 80s was no classic 80s music on the soundtrack and I found it weird that she had sex with sine random stranger who was possessed by her dead boyfriends ghost and we were supposed to find this a touching scene.
    Well it sounded like you did mind it lol. If you overthink this movie that hard, especially your last part about what defines a touching scene (Ever see Ghost and the scene where he inhabits Whoopi's body? That was great!) , then I can see the disgruntled opinion of certain aspects. For me it was mainly the change of origin for Cheetah but 80% of the comic book origins are altered or discarded anyway.

I 100% agree they were lacking with the soundtrack but everything else was on point. Fashion, vehicles, the malls, the logos, etc. It wasn't Stranger Things season 3 but it was better than what Back to the Future II made us believe our future was going to really be those fucking pricks.

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Antrum: The Deadliest Movie Ever Made - Horror movie presented within a fake documentary as a movie that'll kill you if you watch it ala The Ring. An interesting gimmick but I think it raises the viewers expectations too high going into it and then kind of over-addresses/exposes everything and sucks some of the impact/effect out at the end. The movie within the movie itself would be better off without the documentary shit bookending it. It's a pretty decent little horror flick with fun audio/visual/editing effects and good creep factor. But then they, so to speak, take the thing from out of the corner of your eye and put it square in front of your face and underline it a dozen times.

Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wine Country

Enjoyed this. I like these SNL ladies and this was a solid entry from director/producer Amy Poehler. You know what to expect if you know these ladies but as far as tone, they definitely made it less jokey and more just riffing with each other, dialing into their comedic familiarity with one another. A lot of quick edits between dialogue scenes rather than big comedic moments. And it worked well for the most part, I was laughing a lot.
    7/10

Dolomite is My Name

Great to see Eddie in a really good movie again. This was a feel-good underdog story. I didn't know much about the story of Rudy Ray Moore before watching and I liked how he was a hard-working guy trying to break into the entertainment biz in anyway possible - a guy you could root for, along with his buddies. There wasn't much negativity in this movie other than his occasional failings. Wesley Snipes was really funny in his role, definitely off beat for him. It was funny, though again not jokey, but situationally funny especially when Rudy Ray was coming up with the ideas/plans for his movie and then filming it. I want to watch the real Dolomite movie now, or at least some clips of it.
    7.7/10