User Tag List

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Movie Review Thread

Banned
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speaking of sequels... I'm not talking about any sequels. But I did catch a pair of remakes last night.

- "Pet Semetary" (2019) (yes, they do joke about how "cemetery" is spelled wrong) was a surprisingly solid remake of a not-so-great Stephen King adaptation. They don't add or subtract a whole lot from the book, but they do make a few minor changes. The first of which, is that they movie is set in the modern day. The "inciting incident" of the movie's entire final third is caused by a truck driver texting and driving. And no, he's not listening to The Ramones this time. They also made the decision to have...

Things get a little -- okay, a lot silly, when the deceased "comes back wrong" and their Wendigo-side starts to take over. By the end of the movie, you've got a guy who was just a Terminator basically getting kicked around by a small child. But the buildup and the atmosphere of the movie plays well right up until that scene. The actual Pet "Semetary" isn't some supernatural menace. But beyond the dead fall barricade, Little God Swamp looks like something out of a 60's Hammer Horror movie; there's constant lightning in the background, wind, and roaring creatures that we never quite get to see.

Of other note, John Lithgow is great as Judd. Even though Herman Munster had his charm, Lithgow is obviously a better actor. He's got a great combination of woodsy folksy friendliness, while also obviously trying to keep the Creed family from discovering the supernatural Hellscape beyond the dead fall. I've never read the "Pet Semetary" novel, so I don't know if Judd was used more in the book. But I wanted more of him here.

Also, the mother, while not utilized great as a character, gets a pretty horrific backstory involving a sister with spinal bifida and a dumbwaiter. Don't ask, I won't tell.

In all, I'd give "Pet Semetary" "7.5 "Ramones Tribute Bands Playing "Pet Semetary" out Of 10".

Also, caught the "Child's Play" remake.

Surprisingly, I didn't hate it. But holy Hell, did that movie try, for about 60% of its run time to make Chucky into something of a "hero".

In this version of "Child's Play", the Chuckster isn't some serial killer voodoo doll. "He's" a doll used to interface with all of your home appliances and apps. And "He" had all of his safety protocols deactivated by an angry programmer who was fired for staring off into space on work time.

Yeah... not quite as cool.

Chucky, in "his" own movie doesn't feel like his own character. He's, quite literally, a device used to move the plot forward. In the original, he was an asshole caught in insane circumstances, who was still a serial killer asshole. Just as a 3-foot tall ugly doll. Here, Chucky does his damnedest to actually be Andy's friend. He just takes it too damn far.

When Chucky...

Also, I'll say this, Aubrey Plaza looks way, way too young to have a kid.

But yeah, there's still a lot to like about this movie. The idea of a killer machine literally tied into everything you own is pretty freaky shit. Chucky becoming Skynet isn't something I knew I needed, until it was given to me. There's a great scene where Andy and his friends actually jump Chuck, before he goes full on evil and they actually crush his head with a fire extinguisher.

There's actually a good deal of humor to enjoy, too. A lot of really creatively violent stuff. The Jack Black looking pervy maintenance guy gets the worst side of a table saw and an HVAC pipe. Its pretty wicked shit.

Oh, and Chucky..

In all, there's a lot of decent humor in this one, a lot of good violence and gore, the characters are fun and likable. There's enough meat on the bone to recommend this one.

Also, Mark Hamill as Chucky works. And there's a great moment where Andy tries to name him "Han Solo".

Oh.. and watch for the "Robocop" reference.

I'll give this flick 7 "Its Still Better Than "Child's Play 3"'s Out Of 10".

Banned
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My one big criticism with the "Child's Play" remake is this:

There's no big "reveal" scene like the original. When Kristina Hendricks pulls down Chucky's little coveralls in the original, to try to get to the bottom of all the crazy shit that's been going on, and finds out, that for the entire movie, Chucky never had his 6 D-Cell batteries in -- but he's been talking and moving and then *BOOM* he reveals himself to her. That's perfect shit. That's a reveal so fucking subtle that it actually borders on creepy.

The remake has Chucky wandering around, talking, conversing, and whatever else. And its so normal. There's no way to contrive a "there's no batteries! Ahhh!!!" reveal scene.

And that's a shame.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Watched Peninsula today (The Train to Busan sequel) steaming pile of shit that tries to be a fast and furious instalment.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sleepless - 5/10. Almost bad enough to me to stop watching but it had just enough action to keep me interested. Basic story of a bad (or is he really good?) cop who steals drugs from the wrong guy and the cop's son is kidnapped as a result. Then it's a mess of who is a good cop and who is a bad cop. Nothing made this movie stand out.

Intercontinental Champion Melly's Avatar
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Muriel's Wedding (1993)
    5.5/10

I love the soundtrack first of all. Secondly, Muriel is a good character, cute and sad all at once. It was a weird movie. Sometimes funny, often dark and depressing. I know that is the point, but I found the storyline a bit disjointed and it all seemed a tad rushed. I don't really 'get' this movie as a lot of other reviewers who said it was a classic and amazing.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quick reviews of a bunch of flicks I've watched over the past couple months:

Beetlejuice: I'd seen bits of this on TV and wasn't impressed but thought if I watched the whole thing, it might improve my opinion. It did not. It was terrible. Only thing I liked were some of the visuals and effects.

Good Boys: Fun, good laughs, bit of heart. Nothing special but worthwhile.

Mortal Kombat Legends: Scorpion's Revenge: Pretty good. Main complaint was that the tournament seemed like it lasted an afternoon and was about four fights. Needed a fight montage in there to make it seem like it was more worthwhile. And Scorpion was a bit over-powered. But otherwise, not too shabby.

Ready or Not: It was what I expected, stupid but entertaining. Fairly by the numbers/predictable but still enjoyable.

IT: Chapter 2: Adult casting was on point. Not as good as the first part but serviceable. Plot's kind of stupid but that's on King and the book so eh.

Doctor Sleep: Nope. Did not work for me. Felt more like an homage/tribute/fan-made sequel than an actual official sequel. All the "steam" stuff was dumb as hell, cluttered up the plot, and the shit CG effects that went along with it didn't help and were a big part in making it feel like it didn't connect to the original. The final act felt more like "Hey, remember this?!" relying on your connection to the first than genuine and seemed rushed. Afterwards, the wife and I had a good chat about how a better sequel could have gone that kept some of the elements but streamlined things and spent more time developing things that were glossed over/dropped, etc.. Should note that 'The Shining' is one of my favorite movies which is why this is the biggest chunk of me rambling.

ok thx bye

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just watched We Are Still Here. Starts out as a ghost movie but then turns into Evil Dead. It was fucking amazing.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty sure the wife and i started watching that once and gave up on it halfway through...

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mth View Post
    Pretty sure the wife and i started watching that once and gave up on it halfway through...
    This from the man that doesn't like Beetlejuice. You have NO SOUL mth.

Kidding aside I could not believe the movie that W.A.S.H turned into in the third act. You think you're watching a typical haunted house movie. Low budge with no effects and just a bunch of spooky slamming doors. Then boom. It's a practical effect gory mess! God I loved it.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's true, I don't have a soul. My parents even told me that recently. But yeah, maybe I'll have to try it again, I think I gave up on it because I thought it was just your standard, by the numbers haunted house flick and I was bored with it.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Host (on Shudder) is good, if you dig scary movies.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Saw Ready or Not yesterday. Fun movie but nothing exceptional. 6/10

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BGMaverick View Post
    Host (on Shudder) is good, if you dig scary movies.
    It was better than I expected but the plot was a little weak for me.

The jump scares were legit, I rarely ever jump watching something on TV and I jumped 3 or 4 times during Host.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    It was better than I expected but the plot was a little weak for me.

The jump scares were legit, I rarely ever jump watching something on TV and I jumped 3 or 4 times during Host.
    That's a good ending but I'm not mad at the one they had.

My friend, who loves scary movies, was absolutely on edge once it got going. I liked it.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Toy Story 4

It was another good entry but my interest in this series is fading as a 34 year old. I don't oppose them keeping it going because I still think they're excellent kids movies but I'm pretty satisfied and uneager for more.

7/10

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never got the big deal about Toy Story. Guess I was a little too old for it when the first one came out.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fast & Furious Presents Hobbs & Shaw:

Fun, ridiculously over the top action movie, which is exactly what it should be to be part of the F&F franchise. A “hacked” bad guy who is more machine than human? Yes please. Funny banter between Johnson and Statham? Check. The Rock doing Rock things? Check, check, and check. Had to laugh at Roman Reigns in the movie because he didn’t say a line but still managed to hit his signature moves. I’m always in for these movies. I think this was the 10th Fast and Furious and I hope they make 10 more.

8/10

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid_Planet View Post
    Never got the big deal about Toy Story. Guess I was a little too old for it when the first one came out.
    I didn't really care for it until the 3rd one came out and then I realized, oh shit, I actually liked the other 2 lol.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    Fast & Furious Presents Hobbs & Shaw:

Fun, ridiculously over the top action movie, which is exactly what it should be to be part of the F&F franchise. A “hacked” bad guy who is more machine than human? Yes please. Funny banter between Johnson and Statham? Check. The Rock doing Rock things? Check, check, and check. Had to laugh at Roman Reigns in the movie because he didn’t say a line but still managed to hit his signature moves. I’m always in for these movies. I think this was the 10th Fast and Furious and I hope they make 10 more.

8/10
    The best part, this is a spin-off franchise so you're going to have these movies PLUS the normal F&F movies.

I guess Vin Diesel is a HUGE Dungeons and Dragons fan and there's something about how that game does things in 3's so each F&F is part of it's own trilogy or some wild shit like that lol.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    The best part, this is a spin-off franchise so you're going to have these movies PLUS the normal F&F movies.

I guess Vin Diesel is a HUGE Dungeons and Dragons fan and there's something about how that game does things in 3's so each F&F is part of it's own trilogy or some wild shit like that lol.
    Do I need to see Fast and Furious 1 -8 in order to understand Hobbs and Shaw? I saw that this was on HBO Max, and I enjoy Jason Stratham.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Do I need to see Fast and Furious 1 -8 in order to understand Hobbs and Shaw? I saw that this was on HBO Max, and I enjoy Jason Stratham.
    You don't need to see 1-8 in order. It wouldn't hurt to at least have seen the last 2-3 but they'll bring you up to speed.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah at least watch 7 and 8 before watching Hobbs and Shaw.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife and I watched Harriet (2019) over the weekend, the story of Harriet Tubman. We both recommend this flick - a strong character and a great performance by Cynthia Erivo,

Banned
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't really care for it until the 3rd one came out and then I realized, oh shit, I actually liked the other 2 lol.
    Toy Story 3 made me cry enough to fill a kiddie pool by the end of it.

Movies don't normally do that to me, especially kids flicks. It really is pretty amazing.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I only remember crying during A Walk To Remember. I don't think I have done that in any other movie.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only remember crying during A Walk To Remember. I don't think I have done that in any other movie.
    That movie was epicly sad.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crying in a movie... phew, My Girl did it for me.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    maldives
    Up.. holy cannoli

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    germany
    Quote Originally Posted by Honey_Badger View Post
    Crying in a movie... phew, My Girl did it for me.
    What when the little shit died from getting stung by bees? I laughed but I had an extreme hatred for Culkin at the time.

Now old yeller. I cried.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Field of Dreams gets me every damn time.

And Avengers: Endgame when Happy is talking to Stark’s daughter. I was a mess in the theater.

Banned
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Bone Tomahawk" -- When

Its such an irreverent and goofy movie. Almost a slasher zombie flick by way of a spaghetti Western, that the violence, gore, and character deaths just almost hit you out of nowhere. And that bit got me. Just a little. But it got me.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Devil All The Time:

From the trailer I was hoping it was a gritty drama. It was gritty all right, and incredibly fucked up. One of those films in which are the characters are connected somehow, but this time it’s not all happy connections. Good, not great, and worth watching. Well acted.

Football manager? Peter Griffin's Avatar
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    This is hardly a review but really liked Just Mercy today, Sad that it is still so relevant mind.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I'm way off fuck me

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watched The Platform on Netflix last night and I'm not sure how to rate it. There were moments of greatness, but overall, I walked away disappointed. I don't know; has anyone else seen this movie? What are your thoughts?

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    @mth and I watched Slither last night, it was delightfully gory and hilarious.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Slither is fantastic.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I'm really surprised I don't see people ever talking about it. It's really fun and entertaining and people love James Gunn. Underrated flick.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I only saw the Exorcist in the exorcist franchise. So since we are approaching Halloween, I decided to watch the other films and the two season tv series.

TV series was very good. It's an easy binge, and it acts as a direct sequel to the first movie. I guess you can argue the 3rd one too.

Anyway, onto the movies. First I want to say the 2nd one and the prequels sucked. Nothing good will come out of watching them.

The Exorcist III is based on the novel Legion and acts as a direct sequel to the first film. The director is also the creator of the books so that is a nice touch. Man this was an underrated movie. I know it's picked up steam since the initial opening. The acting was good, the atmosphere was chilling, and there was a very memorable and famous jump scene. Loved this movie. I almost want to say I liked it better than the first film. That's how much I enjoyed it.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I haven't seen the TV series, but the first and 3rd Exorcist movies are really good stuff. I also like the first Prequel, Exorcist: The Beginning, though I only saw that once in the theater, I'm sure if I rewatched it today I may have a different view of it.

Apparently they are making a remake set to be released in 2021.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will also vouch for the tv series being REALLY good. The first season is a sequel to the first movie and the second season is sort of it's own thing but very good.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm extremely late to the party but I finally watched ONE FLEW OVER THE CUCKOO'S NEST now that it's on Netflix. I know a lot of people are watching it due to the Nurse Ratched show but I'm so oblivious I thought that was a show related to American Horror Story lol. An old co-worker had actually bugged me for years about the movie so I said fuck it and watched it 2 Saturdays ago.

Lived up to every single piece of hype. If this was the reason Jack got the role in The Shining I can fully 1000% see why.

2 things that blew my wig: Danny Devito not looking like Danny Devito (I barely watched reruns of Taxi when they aired as a kid but even then he still had the Devito look) and Billy is Brad Dourif aka the voice of Chucky.

The only other movie that I think is missing from my "need to see" list is Apocalypse Now. I finally saw Deer Hunter not that long ago.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jack was terrific in Cuckoo's Nest. I have been meaning to rewatch that.

This weekend, I rewatched Misery. I remember it being a really good flick, but I forgot how terrific Kathy Bates was in her performance. And I remembered she won an Oscar for it, but her performance was one for the ages. Well worth seeing again.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3puppies View Post
    Jack was terrific in Cuckoo's Nest. I have been meaning to rewatch that.

This weekend, I rewatched Misery. I remember it being a really good flick, but I forgot how terrific Kathy Bates was in her performance. And I remembered she won an Oscar for it, but her performance was one for the ages. Well worth seeing again.
    I love Misery. My uncle's ex-wife was a hardcore Stephen King fan so I'm not sure if I heard the following about this movie "The book is so much better" Either way I would probably say this is one of the best movies based on his stories that I've ever seen. And it doesn't get half the love most of his other movies get until you bring it up then we all go "Oh yeah that was a great movie!" It just doesn't have the pop culture appeal I guess as IT, Pet Sematary, The Shining, etc.

But GOD DAMN when she breaks his fucking ankles/legs whatever the fuck, hell no.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    As big of a Stephen King fan as I am, I am ashamed to say I have never seen Misery.

I've seen bits and pieces of Cuckoo's Nest but never the whole movie.

Boat loads of movies I haven't seen that I probably should have by now... Apocalypse Now, Sixteen Candles, Breakfast Club, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Braveheart, Avatar, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Godfather Trilogy, Scent of a Woman, Fatal Attraction, Basic Instinct, Friday Trilogy, Rosemary's Baby, the Birds, Back to the Future Trilogy... etc. etc.
    Last edited by Donald; October 19th, 2020 at 4:29 PM.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As big of a Stephen King fan as I am, I am ashamed to say I have never seen Misery.

Boat loads of movies I haven't seen that I probably should have by now... Apocalypse Now, Sixteen Candles, Breakfast Club, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Braveheart, Avatar, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Godfather Trilogy, Scent of a Woman, Fatal Attraction, Basic Instinct, Friday Trilogy, Rosemary's Baby, the Birds, Back to the Future Trilogy... etc. etc.
    Holy shit man some of those you need to see asap. Netflix has about 90% of them.

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    @mth and I watched Friday the 13th and Friday the 13th II, we had seen them before, but oh what fun.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    That reminds me to take off november 13 this year and do a marathon of all the movies!

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada

I haven't seen all of them either, but The Birds and Back To The Future are great.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That reminds me to take off november 13 this year and do a marathon of all the movies!
    You do that.

I'll be getting married that day.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats and Best Wishes, @Rancid_Planet !
    @Donald, you really have to make a point to see Misery. The Godfather and Godfather 2 are great as well, but both are long so don't plan on seeing all 3 at one sitting.

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Congrats @Rancid_Planet.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers all. Been together for 9 years. Time to make it official. Tying the knot at a haunted bed and breakfast.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Congrats Rancid. Had been together 19 months when made official

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid_Planet View Post
    Cheers all. Been together for 9 years. Time to make it official. Tying the knot at a haunted bed and breakfast.

Late to the party, but congratulations on this buddy!

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I saw the new addams family and I enjoyed it.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "I See You" (2019) - Pretty good mystery thriller flick with some decent twists and turns. Worth checking out.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hereditary

This movie had really good critical reviews but not so great audience reviews. I think the audience was more in tune than the critics. It wasn't bad mind you, but it wasn't great. It was just a solid run-of-the-mill horror movie in my book. Toni Collette was good for sure. The pacing was a bit slow; I felt they could have sped up most scenes and had the movie run about 10 minutes quicker. The story was fine and the ending was okay but it didn't always make sense how/why we got from point A to B to C in terms of who was possessed in what order and why all the steps were needed to get to the ultimate goal in the end.

It wasn't very scary, I was hoping for a lot more terrifying scenes.

Score: 6 out of 10

Decent horror film. Not worth going out of your way to see.

Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't even remember Hereditary. Just that I thought it was boring.

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Oh Hereditary was good!
    Last edited by Melly; October 31st, 2020 at 8:37 PM.

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    @mth and I watched Suspiria (1977) yesterday. It had great music, quite interesting, loved the cinematography.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, it was visually terrific with really interesting sets and lighting and had great spooky music. Story was alright, intriguing enough if a bit underwhelming. But yeah, I'd definitely recommend it for the vibes. We're considering watching the less good remake tonight just for comparison's sake...

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I saw Dracula (1931) and the Invisible Man (1933) and man both movies hold up well for being 90 years old. Really good shit.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright, we watched Suspiria (2018) tonight. Damn, what a wildly different flick it was than the original. We both preferred it. If I had a complaint, it was a bit slow and stretched out at times making it longer than necessary. But the plot was more interesting and the acting was better since the other one was all ADR and it was far more unsettling and scary with a particularly bonkers climax.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I really enjoy the music of the first Suspiria film, even owning the soundtrack. Does Goblin do the remake, or at least does the same theme appear?

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope. Would have been dope if they at least got that theme to kick in during the big climax. It had some songs by Thom Yorke, though.

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    I saw Dracula (1931) and the Invisible Man (1933) and man both movies hold up well for being 90 years old. Really good shit.
    Oooh classics.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I saw that Playing with Fire movie starring John Cena. Enjoyable...the kids were the worst part, so annoying, but I feel like they are in most movies. John Cena, John Leguizamo, Keegan-Michael Key, and Tyler Mane were terrific though. 7/10

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We watched The Wizard of Oz last night. I'd seen bits and pieces on TV but never actually sat down and watched the whole thing. Good wholesome fun. Really enjoyed the visuals, sets, costumes, etc. and obviously a lot of the songs/lines are iconic. Cowardly Lion is my dude and Toto kind of stole the show at times, as well. Good stuff.

Mentioned
    290 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Did you watch the scene in slow mo where the guy hung himself in the background? I remember my older cousins pushing that narrative on me when I was younger. I want to say it happens right after she meets Tin Man. Never did figure out what it was. I haven't seen Oz in forever.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's just a bird.

Mentioned
    290 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Was that it? I remember the thing falling and getting back up and swinging back and forth. One cousin had 4 year old me convinced the Wicked Witch could mind trick you into hanging yourself.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Yeah, it was one of the birds they had on set that wandered off.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarrod1983 View Post
    Was that it? I remember the thing falling and getting back up and swinging back and forth. One cousin had 4 year old me convinced the Wicked Witch could mind trick you into hanging yourself.
    Memories lie. It's a bird stretching its wing.

Banned
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    We watched The Wizard of Oz last night. I'd seen bits and pieces on TV but never actually sat down and watched the whole thing. Good wholesome fun. Really enjoyed the visuals, sets, costumes, etc. and obviously a lot of the songs/lines are iconic. Cowardly Lion is my dude and Toto kind of stole the show at times, as well. Good stuff.
    Now you need to watch it with Dark Side of The Moon. Shit is crazy.

Mentioned
    290 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Memories lie. It's a bird stretching its wing.
    Not so much memories as older dink cousins trying to scare me. I can't think of Oz without thinking of this.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cannot think of Wizard of Oz without thinking of the Wicked Witches castle guards, and how they would chant. But instead of "Oh - EE - Yah. EE -Oh - AH ", I was convinced they were singing about chocolate cookies with a creme center. Oreos. We Looooovvvve 'Em! Oreos. We Looooovvvve 'Em!"

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watched 2 newer movies that just came out on DVD.

Antebellum:

Bill & Ted:

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    I was in the mood for something light, so I re-watched Pitch Perfect. I forgot how good it actually is.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pitch Perfect is fucking hilarious. The 2nd one is good too.

I watched New Mutants two nights ago. I thought it was really really good and I'm a big fan of the characters they used. I definitely suggest people watching this. I don't get all wrapped up in nonsense about movies taking forever to get released and scenes getting re-shot, that's Hollywood. It took like 4 years for movies like Evil Dead and House of 1,000 Corpses to get released.

out of 10 I'd say 6 out of 10. It's definitely a different approach to most super hero movies. Definitely has a horror element to it that I enjoyed that you do not see in most comic book movies.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw "Knock Knock" on Netflix the other night - this movie from 2015 had reached #1 on Netflix and I had never seen nor heard anything about it until now.

It was worth the hour and a half.

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    @Nash Diesel, I have seen the second, but it was a few years ago. It's on my to watch list.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Saw Back to the Future for the first time on Friday. Pretty good stuff, 8/10

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saw Back to the Future for the first time on Friday. Pretty good stuff, 8/10
    Heavy

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    There's a load of classic movies I have not seen...

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By a show of hands how many of you haven't seen Evil Dead? It was randomly on Pluto TV and I watched it for the millionth time. I remember a local video store going out of business back in the late 90's and I was able to get Evil Dead 1 and 2 on VHS for like $10. I had never seen Evil Dead 2 so I was excited. I still have the tapes, shocked these fucks didn't break.

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    I've seen the Evil Dead, Army of Darkness, and the newer Evil Dead. I have yet to see Evil Dead 2 or the Ash Vs. Evil Dead series.

Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    There's a load of classic movies I have not seen...
    Same here.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Happiest Season:

I liked it. It’s nothing groundbreaking or anything like that. It’s a LGBT holiday rom com. It’s very funny and very enjoyable. It actually took me a bit to realize the father was a conservative political candidate so it did a good job not falling into the trap of “conservatives are bad” trope and trying on it for cheap laughs. Dan Levy, not shockingly, stole the scenes he was in. Aubrey Plaza was also really good, which is funny because we just finished watching Parks & Rec and it was weird to see her not as April. She played a great part and did it well. Speaking of which,

8/10

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Batman: Death In The Family

I've been wanting to see this and I didn't realize until I bought it 2 days ago that it was interactive. So that element is cool as this is part of the DC Shorts (which explains why 4 non-Batman shorts are included). I see you can watch a non-interactive version on Prime, curious what that would look like because this Choose Your Own Adventure aspect takes you down several different paths that are very fucking cool.

I definitely recommend this because of the variety and the story itself is very cool. It intertwines Red Hood footage at times for flashback purposes which is cool because I only saw that once on Netflix or HBO awhile back.

I don't know if the average fan will dig this but for us die hards this is pretty sweet.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    128 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there a better beautiful mother/daughter casting than Carla Gugino and Alexandra Daddario in the critically-acclaimed film San Andreas?

Donde esta la biblioteca Pablo Diablo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    There certainly are critics who claim to have seen it yes.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Over the past week or two I watched all three Sharktopus movies and all four Mega Shark movies. They were all absolute garbage and it was fun as hell.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Over the past week or two I watched all three Sharktopus movies and all four Mega Shark movies. They were all absolute garbage and it was fun as hell.
    Don't sleep on Mansquito.

Mentioned
    361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't sleep on Mansquito.
    if I can find it, i will check it out. I think my next string of flicks will be all the multi-headed shark movies...

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mile 22 - Mark Wahlberg is a super smart, possibly autistic, CIA black ops team leader. Chaos ensues when an op goes bad. This was not good. 3/10

Ava - Jessica Chastain is an assassin who has been targeted by her employer. Interesting take and over the top action scenes. Mindless entertainment but fun. 6/10

Mentioned
    440 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Watched Mr. Nanny over the weekend, don't think I've seen it since 1993...but it wasn't as bad as I remember or what the reviews say. Pretty entertaining stuff.

Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    Mile 22 - Mark Wahlberg is a super smart, possibly autistic, CIA black ops team leader. Chaos ensues when an op goes bad. This was not good. 3/10

Ava - Jessica Chastain is an assassin who has been targeted by her employer. Interesting take and over the top action scenes. Mindless entertainment but fun. 6/10
    I jus watched this last night. Cut out the shit with Common and it was very good. You don't need to really do much to appeal to me with these kind of movies I've been loving them since the 80's. I hope this does lead to a few more and we get some fleshed out character evolution for Ava.

And has Geena Davis aged in the last 30 years? Made me feel old that she's the mom of someone my age lol. Fuck.

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chef (2014)

I enjoyed this. It's exactly what you'd expect. The amount of shots that just focus on cooking are a little gratuitous, so if you're someone who doesn't like watching delicious food being prepared on film then avoid this movie, lol. They really put a lot of those in there, as if they were combining the appeal of the Food Network with a fictional movie. Favreau is good, the script is solid, it's a feel-good chef father/son story. It isn't anything amazing but I think it further shows Favreau's talents that he can still write/direct this nice small chef movie even as he has graduated to making studio-defining critically acclaimed blockbusters. The guy's stock is soaring (mind you this came out 6 years ago but nevertheless).

7/10

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I jus watched this last night. Cut out the shit with Common and it was very good. You don't need to really do much to appeal to me with these kind of movies I've been loving them since the 80's. I hope this does lead to a few more and we get some fleshed out character evolution for Ava.

And has Geena Davis aged in the last 30 years? Made me feel old that she's the mom of someone my age lol. Fuck.
    Yeah maybe that’s what kept me from thinking it was great was the shit with Common. Just felt unnecessary and slowed it down. Really liked Malkovich in this though. And the last 20 minutes or so with Chastain and Farrell was very well done. I’d definitely watch a sequel if they make one.