Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Movie Review Thread

What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    40 years ago he thought that, but while riding to work on the train since he's realized reading the newspaper is a lot better.
    Makes you wonder what he actually wrote on that newspaper....

Intercontinental Champion BigAl's Avatar
    I live life on the edge...I tell angry women to relax
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Skyscraper - 7/10. I expected cheesy, I got cheesy, and it really wasn't terrible. Wasn't great either, but I'd put it well above the last Rock movie I saw, which was Rampage. Skyscraper had decent fight scenes, special effects that weren't fake looking, and the action was far-fetched enough to keep me watching. I did enjoy the final few minutes. An interesting take on a fun house mirror kind of situation.

Side note: I'd really like to see Pablo Schreiber get some more leading roles. He was very, very good on his SVU arc and I thought he was fantastic in Den of Thieves. He's a tall dude who seems like he can be built like a brick shithouse and definitely needs some action roles.

Intercontinental Champion
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Overlord was fun. I liked the slow build in the beginning of the film, with some solid character development. It wasn't anything spectacular, but overall a lot of fun and worth the rent.

Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Holy shit, you guys. "Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse". Holy shit. Incredible.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    portugal
    I just watched it last night. Fantastic Spider-Man movie. I’d love for them to do another one that crosses with Spider-Man 99, Ben Riley, and 90s animated spidey.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A Star Is Born - 11/10. Wow, what a film. Incredibly well done from beginning to end. Lady Gaga did an amazing job acting, I thought. I didn’t expect much from her acting-wise and I was extremely surprised at how well she did. Bradley Cooper, this may have been his best role I’ve seen him in, even better than in Burnt. I found myself forgetting I was watching Gaga and Cooper and was completely immersed in the film. Fantastic music too, from both of them. I know I’m late seeing it but I can’t recommend it enough.

Green Book- 8/10. Another very well acted movie. The Oscar for Ali was well deserved but I thought that Mortenson did a better job. The movie was humorous enough but serious when it needed to be. Highly recommend seeing it.

Triple Frontier - 6/10. Not bad but not as good as I had hoped. Worth watching if there’s nothing else on. Oscar Isaac did a good job but Oscar Isaac always does a good job. The movie started out strong but fell off over the last 20-30 minutes. Disappointing ending.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Us was pretty good. Way up on the suspense and psychologically thrills in a lot of areas. It definitely lends itself to driving conversation and likely more than one viewing. I think it's heavily weighted by expectation and hope. Going in with that in mind, I wasn't disappointed.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Us - 9/10 for me. Went in thinking it was gonna be a really good slasher flick and it was just sooooo much more. Fantastic.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Triple Frontier needed like 15-20 minutes trimmed and it would have gone up a solid point or two for me. There felt like too much fluff there.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    Skyscraper - 7/10. I expected cheesy, I got cheesy, and it really wasn't terrible. Wasn't great either, but I'd put it well above the last Rock movie I saw, which was Rampage. Skyscraper had decent fight scenes, special effects that weren't fake looking, and the action was far-fetched enough to keep me watching. I did enjoy the final few minutes. An interesting take on a fun house mirror kind of situation.

Side note: I'd really like to see Pablo Schreiber get some more leading roles. He was very, very good on his SVU arc and I thought he was fantastic in Den of Thieves. He's a tall dude who seems like he can be built like a brick shithouse and definitely needs some action roles.
    I just watched this one the other day as well. It was The Rock vs A building. And Rock won.

Well played Rock...well played.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Creed II - 5/10. Middle of the road film for me, and a bit uneven. First 1/2-2/3 wasn't very good. Boring, predictable, just not fun to watch. I was close to shutting it off when it picked back up. The seemingly required boxing/training montage was pretty good and the final fight against Drago's son was really, really well done. It didn't exactly make up for the first part of the movie but it made it watchable, not that I'd watch it again.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Downsizing

I enjoyed this plenty. It was an interesting sci-fi concept and they dove into it in a very sensical way regarding the effect it would have on the world and how businesses/society would react, while also keeping the story incredibly personal to Matt Damon's character and taking him on a journey I didn't see coming with very unexpected twists and turns. It was a very odd movie and it worked for me.

Too bad it got middling reviews and flopped at the box office. This movie felt very different and while I can see how many didn't like it, I found it refreshing and interesting.

Christoph Waltz was good in it as well.

7.9/10

Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We finally watched Captain Marvel the other day. It wasn't amazing but it was good enough. Very similar to Cap or Iron Man's first flick, just introducing the character, explaining how they became who they are, and giving them their first thing to overcome to accept their role as a hero. Only real complaint was it felt a bit rushed, she seemed to go from 0 to 60 real quick once she got her shit together in the latter part of the film. But now I'm more bummed she was barely in Endgame and would really like to see more of her going forward.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saw the new Pet Sematary. Really let down because I had heard good things. But the whole movie was in such a rush to get to the dead kid part and then when it got there was in a huge rush to be over.

Blemishes everywhere. Judd and The doc don't become good friends or spend much time at all together so every bit of Judd's presence just feels like they needed an old man to drop story info once or twice. Which wasnt enough. (Why is it bad to bury people up there? Who knows? Well Judd probably but no time for a story and one scene to explain it. Get to the dead kid!)

The doc gets out of bed when visited by the ghost of a kid he tried to save. Do they go for a long scary atmospheric walk in the woods? Nope magic door takes him straight there! He awakes to find mud on his feet. Which lets him know it wasn't a dream. Would have had more effect if there had been one shot of how muddy the ground was and his bare feet walking through it. But nope. No time. Get to the dead kid!

Some good acting and great special effects and the framework for a good story. But bad scripting and poor direction shot this movie right in the foot.

Booo.

The old one is way better.

Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just watched 'Shazam!' and it was wonderful. Very good film, lots of fun.

Intercontinental Champion Jarrod1983's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by mth View Post
    We just watched 'Shazam!' and it was wonderful. Very good film, lots of fun.
    Saw that in theaters and was blown away with how great it was. Maybe my expectations were low and that's why I was like dam that was great. Either way, got me into the character and spent a good portion of the rest of my day looking up anything I could find about the movie and comics. A really fun movie for all ages.

Don't just stare at it... Bagel's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm watching Shazam right now and it's exceeded my expectations. Didn't know shit about the movie or the cast but enjoying it.

Saw Greta earlier, this also exceeded my expectations but the story may seem familiar. - lonely woman gets clingy with younger woman - leaves her purse on a subway car and Chloe Grace Moretz tracks her down, returns it and the fun begins. That psychological thriller of someone getting close just wanting to fuck up someone else's life. I enjoyed it.
    Last edited by Bagel; July 19th, 2019 at 9:53 PM.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamstar View Post
    Us - 9/10 for me. Went in thinking it was gonna be a really good slasher flick and it was just sooooo much more. Fantastic.
    I'm interested to hear what others took from this film. It's obviously got undertones of racism, but how did you take them on board?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I enjoyed Shazaam on a free Redbox rental far more than I expected - my wife told me she had read it was awful but she knows I like silly stuff. I gotta say the kid's acting was better than I expected. Fun stuff.

Then we watched "The Hate U Give". Not sure how we missed this gem from 2018, but I'm glad we finally saw it.

Donde esta la biblioteca Pablo Diablo's Avatar
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Saw Free Solo recently.

Was definitely a good documentary. Can't really say though that I was inspired by it at all and more thought of it as a warning story about the dangers of obsession.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
    I'm interested to hear what others took from this film. It's obviously got undertones of racism, but how did you take them on board?
    I liked it and it reminded me of the social commentary somewhat hidden in movies by George A Romero and to an extent John Carpenter. Honestly, going in I didn't really think about how it probably had some type of "meaning" beyond the surface. It wasn't until AFTER I watched it and talked to some other people online where we started going above and beyond what the movie really meant.

Another great movie from a guy nobody on Earth 4-5 years ago would have expected to deliver.

Quote Originally Posted by 3puppies View Post
    I enjoyed Shazaam on a free Redbox rental far more than I expected - my wife told me she had read it was awful but she knows I like silly stuff. I gotta say the kid's acting was better than I expected. Fun stuff.

Then we watched "The Hate U Give". Not sure how we missed this gem from 2018, but I'm glad we finally saw it.
    Shazam! was pretty dope. I didn't hear or read a single negative about the movie so I wonder if your wife was just trying to cockblock you from watching a movie that didn't look visually appealing to her lol. Happened to me all the time with my ex. "Naw I heard that movie sucked" YOU SHUT YOUR MOUTH! lol.

It was fun. Especially when you think about how pretty much every DC movie to ever grace the screen are pretty dark. Suicide Squad is probably the only other movie that doesn't feel like you should slit your wrists after watching due to the dark vibes. But even then it was still pretty hardcore.

With so much revamping going on with DC movies I do question where we go from here with this character.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
    Ita good. Has a few good scares, some intriguing characters, damn good acting, great fucking casting and a nice story that unfolds over the course of the movie.

If you want you can give it some "deeper" meaning but none of that kind of alagory or euphemism is really there. It's just a good slasher flick with a cool story.

Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    Shazam! was pretty dope. I didn't hear or read a single negative about the movie so I wonder if your wife was just trying to cockblock you from watching a movie that didn't look visually appealing to her lol. Happened to me all the time with my ex. "Naw I heard that movie sucked" YOU SHUT YOUR MOUTH! lol.

It was fun. Especially when you think about how pretty much every DC movie to ever grace the screen are pretty dark. Suicide Squad is probably the only other movie that doesn't feel like you should slit your wrists after watching due to the dark vibes. But even then it was still pretty hardcore.

With so much revamping going on with DC movies I do question where we go from here with this character.
    *ahem* Aquaman?
    For realz, I'll take Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and Shazam over most of the MCU characters. Put those three in a movie together, please. Throw in Swamp Thing from the excellent TV show, too.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mth View Post
    *ahem* Aquaman?
    For realz, I'll take Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and Shazam over most of the MCU characters. Put those three in a movie together, please. Throw in Swamp Thing from the excellent TV show, too.
    True!

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    scotland
    I dig Aquaman but I didn't really enjoy Wonder Woman. I have yet to see Shazam but that's because I think it looks stupid. But then people think I look stupid and I'm not so I may have to rent that one.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dig Aquaman but I didn't really enjoy Wonder Woman. I have yet to see Shazam but that's because I think it looks stupid. But then people think I look stupid and I'm not so I may have to rent that one.
    I honestly think you will enjoy Shazam! I'm with you, going all the way back to seeing the dude in the costume for the first time I was like....what the fuck is this Dan Schneider Nickelodeon looking movie? It even had Asher Angel from Andi Mack (thank you youngest daughter) and the guy playing Shazam was a fucking weirdo in real life. But I couldn't get over how absurd the suit looked.

But then you watch the movie and everything makes perfect sense. To be honest, if this movie came out in the 80's or early 90's it would have been shit on heavily because dude looks like Meteor Man in that suit and the premise is on some Pagemaster looking shit, idk. I guess this isn't selling you on it very well. But I actually enjoyed the hell out of it.

And i will say this going back to @mth talking about Wonder Woman and Aquaman not being on some emo shit......They were still more of a traditional super hero movie than Shazam imo. Shazam is just so fun, I would say it's more along the lines of the MCU Spider Man movies than anything in terms of the acting. It has a very 80's/90's low budget non-comic book super hero type vibe but done perfectly.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely planning to check Shazam! out this weekend since it's at Redbox.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The murder scene is Us happening to the tune of The Beach Boys and NWA is easily my favorite scene from a movie in 2019. Excellent stuff.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As others here spoke highly of Shazam!, yeah it's just a really fun movie that I had no idea what I was getting myself into, same for the first Guardians of the Galaxy. I enjoyed that while knowing little of anything about it.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagel View Post
    As others here spoke highly of Shazam!, yeah it's just a really fun movie that I had no idea what I was getting myself into, same for the first Guardians of the Galaxy. I enjoyed that while knowing little of anything about it.
    Yeah I remember being a little shocked Guardians was getting a movie. The book had been discontinued I think 3 different times and fuck I don't think anyone but Drax was even an original member, and even his story-based on what we've seen, isn't even the same. But damn they hit this one out the park, it's a brilliant edition to the MCU.

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    scotland
    There's that Mandella effect thing where people swear Shazam was a 1990s movie with Sinbad as a genie.

Intercontinental Champion Jarrod1983's Avatar
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagel View Post
    I had the same feeling walking out of Shazam! as I did the first Guardians. Had no idea about either and both turned me into a instant fan.

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    scotland
    Anyone see Midsommar, I really enjoyed it.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hobbs and Shaw: Definitely good for comedy and things like that. It was alright for what it was. In some ways, it felt like somewhat of a step down from the previous Fast and Furious movies. I know they're not directly tied together and it's basically its own separate universe but it's still loosely related. It also felt like a step down, to me, compared to John Wick and the Mission Impossible movies when it comes to action and choreography.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usa
    Anyone see Midsommar, I really enjoyed it.
    I thought it kicked ass.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rented Brightburn last night. Thought it was great. Very dark, sometimes pretty fuckin gory. Basically imagine a tween version of Clark Kent giving zero fucks, knowing he's superior to all humans, and he enjoys the carnage.

Definitely think you cats should check it out.

Main Eventer
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saw Brightburn in the theater and it was good. Definitely undersold in terms of marketing that movie but I'm guessing that was to avoid throwing people way off the scent for the actual amount of gore in the movie.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Redbox'd both Brightburn and The Cleaning Lady yesterday. Enjoyed them both. The Cleaning Lady reminded me a bit of El Chicano in terms of the slow build to the second half of things. Brightburn was pretty cool. I wasn't sure what I expected but where I happened to be at they had both at the box yesterday.

Starting to go that way a little more, Redbox, since my Netflix DVD service has been taking an extra day for deliveries. Idea is if a movie is a giant turd I won't be as disappointed returning it right away as I might where it could take up to a week to receive, watch, return and get another one.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    Oh man, I went to see Ugly Dolls with the family on Tuesday. Not good. Not good at all. Struggled to stay awake during the first hour. Just no redeeming qualities about it at all, really. My lad wasn't all that keen, either.

It was no Trolls, that's for sure. That's a great film.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Made

Somehow I never saw this even though I'm a big Swingers fan. It was good and definitely kept that same chemistry of Swingers but Vince Vaughn's character was written to be a little too obnoxious in this. That type of dickhead best friend character who fucks everything up so badly that you just wanna kill him. I would have toned him down a little. That was my only gripe, though. I enjoyed it. Jon Favreau is the man.

7/10

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BGMaverick View Post
    Saw Brightburn in the theater and it was good. Definitely undersold in terms of marketing that movie but I'm guessing that was to avoid throwing people way off the scent for the actual amount of gore in the movie.
    I actually just read that the reason it didn't get really any marketing is because the movie was coming around at the same time all that James Gunn bullshit was happening. So the studio were like nope, we're not doing shit so this was all pretty much word of mouth outside of a Comic Con trailer viewing.

And yeah I was actually shocked that it was that hard with the gore at times.

Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just watched 'Brightburn' as well. Good stuff.
    And ohmygod...

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    I’ve just tried to watch Aquaman. Oh dear. The absolute drizzling shits. I had to turn it off.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    Ha, I enjoyed Aquaman.

Watched it at the cinema with Mrs M. The only of the DC Universe films I've seen so far.

Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aquaman is fucking wonderful.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Just to be clear I’m talking about the one with Jason Momoa, the one with the awful dialogue, terrible costumes, woeful cgi and embarrassing acting.

Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    scotland
    Aquaman was fantastic.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yugoslavia
    Quote Originally Posted by The Beer Monster View Post
    Just to be clear I’m talking about the one with Jason Momoa, the one with the awful dialogue, terrible costumes, woeful cgi and embarrassing acting.
    That's the chap.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    You’re all mental.

Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just watched 'Sorry To Bother You'. Why have I not heard a peep about this movie? Only reason I heard about it was because Nostalgia Critic referenced it in a recent review so I Googled it and saw it had 93% on Rotten Tomatoes. Read the briefest of descriptions and decided to dial it up. Heck of an interesting and thought-provoking flick. Highly recommend. Anyone else seen it?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On a horror kick.

Just watched The Ranger and Monster Party.

The Ranger is a fun low budget slasher. Monster Party has a little more of a budget. It starts fucking slow though. About 40 minutes to get going and the plot isn't exactly profound. But once it gets going it's great.

World Champion
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iíve just tried to watch Aquaman. Oh dear. The absolute drizzling shits. I had to turn it off.
    I've fallen asleep both times I've tried watching this.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just watched The Void.

Started out John Carpenter and ended Clive Barker.

Good though.

Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    netherlands
    Just to be clear Iím talking about the one with Jason Momoa, the one with the awful dialogue, terrible costumes, woeful cgi and embarrassing acting.

Do you enjoy anything?

Anyway watched Aquaman on Saturday, Really enjoyable.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    Yes, things that aren’t shit.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got to see quite a few films on the plane - the following were worth the time

Tolkien
    The Mule
    The Aftermath
    Aquaman
    Deadpool 2

plus I watched Shazam! again, and Avengers Endgame three more times.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just saw Midsommar...

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just watched Deadtectives. Marvelous. Funny as shit.

It was like Tropic Thunder and Ghost Hunters had a baby.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got to see quite a few films on the plane - the following were worth the time

Tolkien
    The Mule
    The Aftermath
    Aquaman
    Deadpool 2

plus I watched Shazam! again, and Avengers Endgame three more times.
    Jesus Christ dude were you on some type of expedition across multiple continents?

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    Jesus Christ dude were you on some type of expedition across multiple continents?
    Flying direct from Boston to Honolulu is a LONG trip

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Flying direct from Boston to Honolulu is a LONG trip
    Oh I can only imagine. lol