User Tag List

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314
Results 1,301 to 1,362 of 1362

Thread: Movie Review Thread

  1. #1301
    E-Bow The Poster Rancid_Planet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    ...where is Bill Casey?
    Posts
    26,480
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1092336
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Conjuring 2

    Best movie ever? No, but 2nd best movie ever.
    It's Def the best of the Conjuring/Insidious movies.

    Good found footage is maybe rare, but oh so entertaining. Here's a list of some of my favorites.


    Hell House LLC - Probably my favorite ever. Haunted House story where these idiots want to set up a Halloween Haunted House and on opening night shit goes wrong. So good.

    Gonjiam: Haunted Asylum - If Hell House is my 1 then this is my 2. Korean found footage done in a youtube-ish style which is my favorite. This movie is fucking horrifying.

    Creep - Nothing supernatural here but its about a case of a weirdo stalker and his performance is captivating and so scarry.

    REC- The best zombie found footage ever.

    VHS and VHS 2 - I don't know which of these is better but they are the best anthology style found footage movies.

    Frankensteins Army - Holy fucking shit this movie. So fucked up. So brilliant. Best found footage creature feature.

  2. #1302
    F this & JC that mth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    YXE
    Posts
    61,373
    Mentioned
    303 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1974462
    I've seen all but Gonjiam. Frankenstein's Army is super underrated.

    Have you seen Host?

  3. #1303
    1-800-Call-My-Bluff Fro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Posts
    30,534
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    881485
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid_Planet View Post
    It's Def the best of the Conjuring/Insidious movies.
    That's interesting because when it comes to the main Conjuring movies I go 1 > 3 > 2. I didn't love the second one with the nun. Maybe I'll re-watch it because I seem to be in the minority. The first one is pretty easily the best IMO, and I liked part 3 well enough even though it got mixed reviews.

  4. #1304
    World Champion Donald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    24,014
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2149844
    usa
    I didn't really enjoy Conjuring 3...I probably need to rewatch it because I don't remember much.

    Conjuring 2 I felt the Nun, the Crooked Man, and the old man on the old leather chair were just fantastic. I also really enjoyed the Nun movie, but I recall it not getting a lot of love.

    Quite sad to read they cancelled the Crooked Man movie, but the Nun 2 comes out next year at least. I'm also hoping for more Annabelle movies as I enjoyed all 3 immensely.


    Has anyone seen Curse of La Llorana? I heard it's connected to the Conjuring universe but I have yet to see it.

  5. #1305
    E-Bow The Poster Rancid_Planet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    ...where is Bill Casey?
    Posts
    26,480
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1092336
    Quote Originally Posted by mth View Post
    I've seen all but Gonjiam. Frankenstein's Army is super underrated.

    Have you seen Host?
    I have. Can't remember a ton about it off the top of my head but I know I liked it.

  6. #1306
    E-Bow The Poster Rancid_Planet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    ...where is Bill Casey?
    Posts
    26,480
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1092336
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I didn't really enjoy Conjuring 3...I probably need to rewatch it because I don't remember much.

    Conjuring 2 I felt the Nun, the Crooked Man, and the old man on the old leather chair were just fantastic. I also really enjoyed the Nun movie, but I recall it not getting a lot of love.

    Quite sad to read they cancelled the Crooked Man movie, but the Nun 2 comes out next year at least. I'm also hoping for more Annabelle movies as I enjoyed all 3 immensely.


    Has anyone seen Curse of La Llorana? I heard it's connected to the Conjuring universe but I have yet to see it.
    I didn't care for The Nun either. So much hype but it didn't deliver for me. I have seen Curse of LA Llorana and it wasn't bad. I didn't think it was as good as most of the other films in the group though.

  7. #1307
    What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Dead Moines, IA
    Posts
    45,608
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2007170
    Barbarian
    I have to laugh now after seeing it and reading @mth spoiler comment that of all things that defy reality, that was the part that you singled out....lol. Weird movie but Justin Long is typically in some weird horror movie shit. I never know if it's supposed to be serious, or a mix. Jeepers Creepers for example. Something about him just automatically introduces campiness. Not saying it's bad I love the guy, but there's something about him. 7/10.

    Beast
    Really good movie that I thought was going to be corny. Great actors (Idris Elba, Sharlto Copley), great CGI, I really like this one. 7/10

    The Independent
    Our homeboy John Cena in a supporting role playing a Presidential candidate running as an independent. Bigger story is about various extortions helping fund one of the candidates. Brian Cox is always great, never saw anything with Jodie Turner-Smith but she did really well. Stephen Lang with a small part. 6/10. It's on Peacock so definitely check it out if you have free time. Same with Beast.

  8. #1308
    World Champion Donald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    24,014
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2149844
    usa
    There was so much hype about Barbarian that I ended up being disappointed in the end. I really enjoyed the first 3rd though. Everything before Justin Long entered the movie.

    Beast was really great. I had low expectations going in to it but it is a solid film.

    I don't care to see John Cena in films, but I do like Brian Cox so maybe I'll check out the Independent but probably not.

  9. #1309
    What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Dead Moines, IA
    Posts
    45,608
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2007170
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    There was so much hype about Barbarian that I ended up being disappointed in the end. I really enjoyed the first 3rd though. Everything before Justin Long entered the movie.

    Beast was really great. I had low expectations going in to it but it is a solid film.

    I don't care to see John Cena in films, but I do like Brian Cox so maybe I'll check out the Independent but probably not.
    It's not so much a John Cena as it is he's in it. He's a key character but doesn't have much screen time. It's mostly about Smith's character. Kind of reminds me of those Redbox exclusives that have Bruce Willis, Taylor Lautner, and then the star is some random who is on the come up getting most of the screen time.

    I don't really do the big scary animal type movies but some really jump out and hook me. The Meg is a recent one that really impressed me. More often than not though these movies are better suited for the SyFy channel.

    Barbarian did have a ton of hype which is why I gave it a 7. I agree with you. Pre-Justin Long the movie had a different tone and I was like, oh shit ok where is this going? It went completely left and I was like....eh, not as great as a few of my friends and people on social media made it out to be BUT it was very good. I would definitely recommend it to horror movie fans. Especially the nursing.

  10. #1310
    Main Eventer BigAl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    The Two Oh Three
    Posts
    7,320
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1198339
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    The Independent
    Our homeboy John Cena in a supporting role playing a Presidential candidate running as an independent. Bigger story is about various extortions helping fund one of the candidates. Brian Cox is always great, never saw anything with Jodie Turner-Smith but she did really well. Stephen Lang with a small part. 6/10. It's on Peacock so definitely check it out if you have free time. Same with Beast.
    How was Luke Kirby in this? I don't know if I'll ever be able to see him in a role other than Lenny Bruce on Mrs. Maisel. He's brilliant in that role, definitely a scene stealer.

  11. #1311
    What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Dead Moines, IA
    Posts
    45,608
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2007170
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAl View Post
    How was Luke Kirby in this? I don't know if I'll ever be able to see him in a role other than Lenny Bruce on Mrs. Maisel. He's brilliant in that role, definitely a scene stealer.
    He wasn't too bad, another person who wasn't in it a ton but he's also a key figure. Glad I looked him up because he did look familiar. He was in Glass and Halloween Resurrection. I haven't seen that Mrs Maisel show yet.

  12. #1312
    World Champion Donald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    24,014
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2149844
    usa
    I saw Terrifier, thought it was absolute garbage. I heard you either love it or hate it. No thanks.

  13. #1313
    What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Dead Moines, IA
    Posts
    45,608
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2007170
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I saw Terrifier, thought it was absolute garbage. I heard you either love it or hate it. No thanks.
    The first one or the new one?

    And yeah it's definitely an either or, there is no middle ground. I'm hypocritical because on one hand I don't care for shock horror with the over the top death scenes...but then on the other hand I'm watching Ichi the Killer and the Saw franchise applauding that shit lol.

    I've heard the 2nd one is better, a little more story going on but honestly I don't care for it. I can do without another killer clown type movie.

  14. #1314
    World Champion Donald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    24,014
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2149844
    usa
    Yeah, the first one. My friend told me the 2nd one is the same as the 1st just more brutal, so he said if I didn't like the first one to not both with 2.

    I'll leave the clowns to It or Killer Klowns from Outer Space

  15. #1315
    Main Eventer BigAl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    The Two Oh Three
    Posts
    7,320
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1198339
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    He wasn't too bad, another person who wasn't in it a ton but he's also a key figure. Glad I looked him up because he did look familiar. He was in Glass and Halloween Resurrection. I haven't seen that Mrs Maisel show yet.
    I had no interest in Maisel at first but my wife was watching it and I got into it. Luke Kirby is by far the best part, and Alex Borstein is a close second.

  16. #1316
    E-Bow The Poster Rancid_Planet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    ...where is Bill Casey?
    Posts
    26,480
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1092336
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    There was so much hype about Barbarian that I ended up being disappointed in the end. I really enjoyed the first 3rd though. Everything before Justin Long entered the movie.

    Beast was really great. I had low expectations going in to it but it is a solid film.

    I don't care to see John Cena in films, but I do like Brian Cox so maybe I'll check out the Independent but probably not.
    Funny. I didn't like it UNTIL Justin Long showed up lol.

  17. #1317
    E-Bow The Poster Rancid_Planet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    ...where is Bill Casey?
    Posts
    26,480
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1092336
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I saw Terrifier, thought it was absolute garbage. I heard you either love it or hate it. No thanks.
    This is true. Don't watch the second.

    Fucking LOVED them myself.

    Okay I watched Bodies Bodies Bodies with Pete Davidson and it's fucking AWFUL. Bunch of good acting but they could not save this absolute turd of a movie. I only mention it because it's getting like a 6.4 imdb and that has to be fake. Average horror movies can't get a 6 and this one is cheap, badly lit, terribly written, Casio keyboard from the 80s soundtrack trash. So it must be getting fake reviews from the cast and crew. Bad. Bad movie.
    Last edited by Rancid_Planet; November 14th, 2022 at 2:34 PM.

  18. #1318
    What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Dead Moines, IA
    Posts
    45,608
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2007170
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid_Planet View Post
    This is true. Don't watch the second.

    Fucking LOVED them myself.

    Okay I watched Bodies Bodies Bodies with Pete Davidson and it's fucking AWFUL. Bunch of good acting but they could not save this absolute turd of a movie. I only mention it because it's getting like a 6.4 imdb and that has to be fake. Average horror movies can't get a 6 and this one is cheap, badly lit, terribly written, Casio keyboard from the 80s soundtrack trash. So it must be getting fake reviews from the cast and crew. Bad. Bad movie.
    haha, could also be that there aren't many people rating it so the average is higher because it has like 20 votes or some shit lol. Trust me I've seen it where I'll be like damn they really like this movie....and there's 2 reviews and 5 votes lol.

    Anyone who willingly watches a movie with Pete Davidson deserves the suffering. He's one of those "actors" where you can tell that people only watch his shit because he's been in the "news" via him dating a female celebrity that changes boyfriends every time they need to rebrand.

  19. #1319
    World Champion Donald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    24,014
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2149844
    usa
    Only time I ever liked Pete Davidson is when he was on the Comedy Central roasts. Absolutely hated him on SNL.

  20. #1320
    What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Dead Moines, IA
    Posts
    45,608
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2007170
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Only time I ever liked Pete Davidson is when he was on the Comedy Central roasts. Absolutely hated him on SNL.
    His whole roast routine is figuring out a way to incorporate a " my dad died in the 9/11 attacks" joke.

  21. #1321
    World Champion Donald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    24,014
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2149844
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    His whole roast routine is figuring out a way to incorporate a " my dad died in the 9/11 attacks" joke.
    Yes I find that funny.

  22. #1322
    What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Dead Moines, IA
    Posts
    45,608
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2007170
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Yes I find that funny.
    I found some 9/11 jokes funny 15-20 years ago but after awhile it just becomes redundant especially if that's all you have to offer.

  23. #1323
    World Champion Donald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    24,014
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2149844
    usa
    To be fair, Pete calling Kevin hart "shaq's dick" was funnier than any of the 9/11 jokes

  24. #1324
    What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Dead Moines, IA
    Posts
    45,608
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2007170
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    To be fair, Pete calling Kevin hart "shaq's dick" was funnier than any of the 9/11 jokes
    I agree.

  25. #1325
    World Champion Donald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    24,014
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2149844
    usa
    Dead Silence:

    I saw this in the theaters when it came out, and I remember really enjoying it, enough that I bought the blu ray, but man I saw this over the weekend again and it's just not good.

  26. #1326
    To The Face
    Join Date
    Jun 2022
    Posts
    169
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    57067
    Funny you mention Dead Silence. I saw it when it first came out, bought it cheap recently just to watch. A good idea poorly executed is my best description of it.

    Saw Barbarian yesterday. I don't know what I expected. It was alright, decent, not great, not dog shit. How they explained the story really helped, having the history of the house, some of the characters in other years. The last 15 minutes was a mess but not enough to be disappointed.

  27. #1327
    What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Dead Moines, IA
    Posts
    45,608
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2007170
    Spiderhead

    It's been on my Netflix watch list for a few months it seems and I like Chris Hemsworth and Miles Teller. I also was roped in when I saw the 2 writers did movies like Zombieland, Deadpool (not together but in general). Just a weird movie set in the future. Prisoners being experimented it on with drugs that tap into certain emotions like love, fear, etc. Starts off pretty fuckin slow but after about 20 minutes it turns into a pretty slick movie.

    6/10

  28. #1328
    What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Dead Moines, IA
    Posts
    45,608
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2007170
    Wakanda Forever

    Incredible. It has everything positive you want from an action movie. One of the nice things about this and the first Black Panther movie is they didn't rely on 3-4 Avengers to help boost up the appeal. This movie did a great job handling Boseman's death and I'll be honest, anyone overthinking anything about this movie and the direction of certain characters should feel better after seeing this movie. Top 3 of Phase 4.

  29. #1329
    World Champion Donald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    24,014
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2149844
    usa
    The Menu 9/10

    Just fantastic stuff. Ralph Fiennes was incredible. Even John Leguizamo was good. Fun little movie.

  30. #1330
    FBI Warning VHS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Asparagus Video, M aisle.
    Posts
    12,163
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    685028
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    Wakanda Forever

    Incredible. It has everything positive you want from an action movie. One of the nice things about this and the first Black Panther movie is they didn't rely on 3-4 Avengers to help boost up the appeal. This movie did a great job handling Boseman's death and I'll be honest, anyone overthinking anything about this movie and the direction of certain characters should feel better after seeing this movie. Top 3 of Phase 4.
    this

  31. #1331
    F this & JC that mth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    YXE
    Posts
    61,373
    Mentioned
    303 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1974462
    I watched Planes, Trains, & Automobiles and Big Trouble in Little China over the past couple of days. I did not enjoy either of them.

  32. #1332
    Intercontinental Champion VoidKitten's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2022
    Posts
    1,982
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    144680
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid_Planet View Post
    It's Def the best of the Conjuring/Insidious movies.

    Good found footage is maybe rare, but oh so entertaining. Here's a list of some of my favorites.


    Hell House LLC - Probably my favorite ever. Haunted House story where these idiots want to set up a Halloween Haunted House and on opening night shit goes wrong. So good.
    Did you watch all 3? They are all a continuous story and are all actually not bad.

  33. #1333
    World Champion Donald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    24,014
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2149844
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by mth View Post
    I watched Planes, Trains, & Automobiles and Big Trouble in Little China over the past couple of days. I did not enjoy either of them.
    I've never seen planes trains and automobiles, but big trouble I thought was quite good.

  34. #1334
    What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Dead Moines, IA
    Posts
    45,608
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2007170
    Quote Originally Posted by mth View Post
    I watched Planes, Trains, & Automobiles and Big Trouble in Little China over the past couple of days. I did not enjoy either of them.
    How do we petition to get you removed as a mod so I can become one and ban you for life?

    Plans I can accept. Big Trouble....Dude how is the shit that I think is right up your alley, like a slam dunk this dude would love this movie/wrestler/video game/etc. and you go in a totally different direction??

  35. #1335
    FBI Warning VHS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Asparagus Video, M aisle.
    Posts
    12,163
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    685028
    Quote Originally Posted by mth View Post
    I watched Planes, Trains, & Automobiles and Big Trouble in Little China over the past couple of days. I did not enjoy either of them.
    Hwaaat! I love those movies, bummer you didn't like them though. The ending to PT&A always gets me, always always. Steve Martin sitting on the train, thinking about his family and the shitty week he's had, but realizing John Candy's predicament... and the music... ugh, tugs the heartstrings.

    Big Trouble in Little China is just... yeah, it's very Carpenter, but it's my favorite Carpenter film. It's bloody ridiculous and it never slows the hell down. Jack Burton is my spirit animal.

  36. #1336
    World Champion Donald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    24,014
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2149844
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by VHS View Post
    but it's my favorite Carpenter film
    I can only assume you haven't seen Halloween?

  37. #1337
    F this & JC that mth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    YXE
    Posts
    61,373
    Mentioned
    303 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1974462
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    How do we petition to get you removed as a mod so I can become one and ban you for life?

    Plans I can accept. Big Trouble....Dude how is the shit that I think is right up your alley, like a slam dunk this dude would love this movie/wrestler/video game/etc. and you go in a totally different direction??
    What can I say? I mean, i really enjoyed They Live and I had a pretty good idea what I was getting into, I can see why other folks would dig it, and there was some stuff that was cool, but I just didn't connect.

  38. #1338
    E-Bow The Poster Rancid_Planet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    ...where is Bill Casey?
    Posts
    26,480
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1092336
    Quote Originally Posted by VoidKitten View Post
    Did you watch all 3? They are all a continuous story and are all actually not bad.
    All 3 of the Hell House movies? Yeah I thought two was excellent. And then 3 happened and it was so bad it destroyed my soul.

  39. #1339
    F this & JC that mth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    YXE
    Posts
    61,373
    Mentioned
    303 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1974462
    Today I watched Taxi Driver. Had it on my Netflix watch list for a couple of years, figured I ought to actually give it a go. It was good.

  40. #1340
    TEETH lotjx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Not here
    Posts
    10,410
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    75319
    italy
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I can only assume you haven't seen Halloween?
    Halloween II > Halloween

  41. #1341
    TEETH lotjx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Not here
    Posts
    10,410
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    75319
    italy
    John Carpenter has something in the middle of his films like why is this happening. In Big Trouble, its the Gods showing their ninja skills to the girls for some reason. In Halloween and Halloween II, its usually something with Loomis either scaring the kids or one that lady who comes to get him in the school. In the Fog, its the weather man who is Dad in Halloween hitting on a woman who is the age of his daughter in Halloween. In The Thing, nothing, because ifs fucking perfect!

  42. #1342
    FBI Warning VHS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Asparagus Video, M aisle.
    Posts
    12,163
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    685028
    My favorite Carpenter film is Big Trouble but Escape From NY and The Thing are a tie for second. Hellllla close second.

    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I can only assume you haven't seen Halloween?
    Never heard of it. What that about?
    Last edited by VHS; November 21st, 2022 at 10:57 PM.

  43. #1343
    What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Dead Moines, IA
    Posts
    45,608
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2007170
    I love John Carpenter. One of my favorites is Body Bags, the 3 part anthology. I think it was on Showtime originally. They Live is my favorite movie of all time.

  44. #1344
    TEETH lotjx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Not here
    Posts
    10,410
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    75319
    italy
    I kickstarted the They Live Board Game and it is way too complicated for a John Carpenter movie, its like more in line with a David Lynch piece.

  45. #1345
    World Champion Donald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    24,014
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2149844
    usa
    I quite like John Carpenter's Vampires, and Ghosts of Mars

  46. #1346
    FBI Warning VHS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Asparagus Video, M aisle.
    Posts
    12,163
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    685028
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I quite like John Carpenter's Vampires, and Ghosts of Mars
    Me too even though I know full well this is don't-give-a-fuck Carpenter times we're talking about. Natasha Henstridge was hot as hell and Ice Cube was so god awfully bad


  47. #1347
    What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Dead Moines, IA
    Posts
    45,608
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2007170
    Ghost of Mars is the shit. There were a lot of good random "hey that's a rapper!" movies that came out around this time. Remember 13 Ghosts with Rah Digga??

  48. #1348
    To The Face
    Join Date
    Jun 2022
    Posts
    169
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    57067
    Weird: The Al Yankovic Story.

    It exceeded what I expected. Goofy as hell but worth the time.

  49. #1349
    F this & JC that mth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    YXE
    Posts
    61,373
    Mentioned
    303 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1974462
    Exorcist III - This was awesome. I was never that impressed with the original Exorcist and think this was significantly better. George C. Scott is great, the plot/mystery is engaging, there's some nice creepy bits, and even though the last act (theatrical version, not director's cut) was forced in by the studio, it's insane and I loved it.

  50. #1350
    F this & JC that mth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    YXE
    Posts
    61,373
    Mentioned
    303 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1974462
    Toy Story 4 - Meh. Felt very mediocre. I didn't find it particularly funny or emotional. I only laughed out loud during one of the credits scenes. I get what they were going on the deeper side of it but it didn't land for me (worth nothing I almost cried during 3).

  51. #1351
    World Champion
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    10,419
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1148395
    Smile was better than I thought it would be, but it relied too much on jump scares.

    Halloween Ends was alright.

  52. #1352
    E-Bow The Poster Rancid_Planet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    ...where is Bill Casey?
    Posts
    26,480
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1092336
    Quote Originally Posted by mth View Post
    Exorcist III - This was awesome. I was never that impressed with the original Exorcist and think this was significantly better. George C. Scott is great, the plot/mystery is engaging, there's some nice creepy bits, and even though the last act (theatrical version, not director's cut) was forced in by the studio, it's insane and I loved it.
    I've always thought 3 was underrated. I think after the dissapointment of 2 people didn't want to admit that 3 recaptured some of the magic but it did.

  53. #1353
    F this & JC that mth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    YXE
    Posts
    61,373
    Mentioned
    303 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1974462
    Lightyear - Figured I might as well stick with the franchise, heh. This wasn't anything special/amazing but it was pretty good. I know it was pretty derivative of a lot of sci-fi stuff, some of that obviously homages, but it kept me entertained/invested, and unlike TS4, I laughed a few times and actually felt the emotional bits. I expected worse.

  54. #1354
    TEETH lotjx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Not here
    Posts
    10,410
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    75319
    italy
    Quote Originally Posted by mth View Post
    Lightyear - Figured I might as well stick with the franchise, heh. This wasn't anything special/amazing but it was pretty good. I know it was pretty derivative of a lot of sci-fi stuff, some of that obviously homages, but it kept me entertained/invested, and unlike TS4, I laughed a few times and actually felt the emotional bits. I expected worse.
    I took my kid to see it in the Theater and we both liked it. I was just a fun story.

  55. #1355
    What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Dead Moines, IA
    Posts
    45,608
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2007170
    Quote Originally Posted by mth View Post
    Lightyear - Figured I might as well stick with the franchise, heh. This wasn't anything special/amazing but it was pretty good. I know it was pretty derivative of a lot of sci-fi stuff, some of that obviously homages, but it kept me entertained/invested, and unlike TS4, I laughed a few times and actually felt the emotional bits. I expected worse.
    I thought it was good but I'm not the audience they were aiming for. The most enjoyable part about Lightyear was listening/reading all these people freaking out thinking Disney blackballed Tim Allen for his right wing views, all while having zero clue dude was going to be doing a series on Disney+ as Santa Clause lol.

  56. #1356
    What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Dead Moines, IA
    Posts
    45,608
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2007170
    Monstrous

    I wanted to watch a random movie, this was on Showtime or Prime I can't remember I watched it through Prime but I have the Showtime app. Anyway....Actually a pretty good movie. It was at about a 3.5 for most of the movie but the last 20 minutes or so bumped it up to a 6. I LOVE CHRISTINA RICCI. So I'll watch damn near anything with her in it.

    Premise is her and her young son move to the middle of nowhere to get away from her husband. They move to what appears to be a haunted house and all the fun that goes in with that. Spoiler alert: There's a twist that takes the movie to a different level and makes it worth having to sit through the first hour or so.

  57. #1357
    E-Bow The Poster Rancid_Planet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    ...where is Bill Casey?
    Posts
    26,480
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1092336
    Indonesian horror film Satan's Slaves just got a sequel on Shudder and fuck me it was fantastic (except for the subtitles that got slowly more and more off track as the movie went on) gory and amazing. Wow! The first one was good but it was more subtle, spooky and low budget. This was big and loud with plenty of cool deaths and great scares. Sets up a 3rd one at the end and I'm so down.

  58. #1358
    F this & JC that mth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    YXE
    Posts
    61,373
    Mentioned
    303 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    1974462
    Quote Originally Posted by Rancid_Planet View Post
    Indonesian horror film Satan's Slaves just got a sequel on Shudder and fuck me it was fantastic (except for the subtitles that got slowly more and more off track as the movie went on) gory and amazing. Wow! The first one was good but it was more subtle, spooky and low budget. This was big and loud with plenty of cool deaths and great scares. Sets up a 3rd one at the end and I'm so down.
    We watched the first one a month or two back (can't remember if I posted about it in here) and thought it was pretty decent. Sounds like we'll be giving that one a watch, too. Shame about the subtitles, hopefully it doesn't detract/confuse too much.

    I just read that Scare Package, the anthology horror flick Dustin Rhodes is in (read it on his FB page), has a sequel coming to Shudder on Dec. 22nd.

  59. #1359
    World Champion Donald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    24,014
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2149844
    usa
    I watched Silent Night (2012) on Shudder the other day. Pretty standard horror fare but it held my interest. Malcolm McDowell is awesome as ever.

  60. #1360
    What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Dead Moines, IA
    Posts
    45,608
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2007170
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I watched Silent Night (2012) on Shudder the other day. Pretty standard horror fare but it held my interest. Malcolm McDowell is awesome as ever.
    He's one of those actors that are so much better than everyone it makes some of those movie seem "less than".

    One of my favorite movies that he's in is called Class of 1999.

  61. #1361
    World Champion Donald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    24,014
    Mentioned
    369 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2149844
    usa
    Quote Originally Posted by Nash Diesel View Post
    He's one of those actors that are so much better than everyone it makes some of those movie seem "less than".

    One of my favorite movies that he's in is called Class of 1999.
    Haven't seen that one, but after looking it up seems decent.

    McDowell and Brad Douriff are the only reasons I would watch Rob Zombie's Halloween again lol

  62. #1362
    What the fucks up Dennys! Nash Diesel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Dead Moines, IA
    Posts
    45,608
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    2007170
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Haven't seen that one, but after looking it up seems decent.

    McDowell and Brad Douriff are the only reasons I would watch Rob Zombie's Halloween again lol
    Class of 1999 is one of the few movies Bradley Gregg did that he gets more than 4 minutes of screentime. Killed off pretty early in Nightmare 3 (Phillip the puppeteer) and you see him a couple times in Fire In The Sky. The 3 teachers in Class of 1999 are like a trio of badass B-Movie actors. Pam Grier, Patrick Kilpatrick, and John Ryan. You have Stacy Keach who's eyes have always been weird.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •