User Tag List

Thread: Line of Duty

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Line of Duty

I've just caught up with the most recent season. Surely I'm not the only one on the forum who watches it?

Simon
    I've watched all of them. It's fucking brilliant. Sometimes veers into being a little bit silly and unbelievable, but at its best it's brilliant. It reminds me a little bit of 24 in that respect, even when it's stupid it's always watchable. Can't get enough of loveable sexist Ted Hastings.

RFF WORLDWIDE WESTERN CON son_of_foley's Avatar
    Letting the POTTY go to his head since Jan 2010
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's very good and filmed in lovely Belfast

Simon
    Mad that this show was only deemed worth of three posts.

Anyone watch the new episode on Sunday? Thought it was pretty good - the UCO reveal was kind of obvious, but I thought they set the scene for the new series pretty well.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So many acronyms. Decent show though. Always good for a watch, keeps you guessing until the final episode.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like it

Simon

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Strong start to the series, such a great show

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    Brilliant first episode. Stephen Graham is so fucking good in everything he does.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oof they are leaning in heavy on pointing the finger at old Ted. The phone call in the first episode, the email popping up on his computer tonight. I refuse to believe it. I think he'll be on the other side of the table for an episode or two as "H" is revealed. We haven't had a big intense interview yet.

Stephen Graham was excellent. Interesting how the dynamic has shifted between him and Lisa. Last week, she seemed anxious and out of her depth. But tonight it sounds like she has more experience with the gang than John. I love all the different sides that we've seen of him so far.

Steve used to shag anything that moved before his injury. Poor guy.

Simon
    Last night's episode, fucking hell. So tense. Agree that Stephen Graham is always, always brilliant in everything, and particularly in this. The way he's gradually lost the plot has been incredible to watch.

The Rosk
    Is this really great enough to watch from Series One onwards? Watched the very first episode last night and my thoughts thus far is that it's very cheap BBC but half OK.

Simon
    I'd definitely recommend sticking with it. It can be a little silly but it's always engrossing and well-written. The first series has Lennie James in as well which makes it automatically great. With regards to the budget I can't remember the look of the first series but it got very big very quickly so I imagine it probably looks a lot better as it continues.

The Rosk
    Cheers Si thanks for letting me know the main character is going to be fucking written out

That's two strikes for you today, honestly mate I am going to fucking wipe the floor with you

Simon
    Steve and Kate are the main characters you dirty bastard.

The Rosk
    SO STEVE AND KATE SURVIVE ALL SEASONS THEN DO THEY?///

Honestly mate you are ridiculous. Die.

Simon
    Fight me IRL.

The Rosk
    Honestly Simon there is nothing I would love more.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apparently Sian Reese-Williams is in the newest season?

I went out on a date with her last year, she was a bit boring.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just caught up with the newest season. It’s building well.

Ted is definitely not H, they’ve tried to make it more and more obvious this season that he might be, so definitely not.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel like he may get roped into something by the property deal which makes him look like H or maybe even gets him killed looking like H and then they clear his name in another season.

May be a bit out there, and obviously not based on any spoilers etc

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think him getting rid of the laptop was because he had given into temptation with dodgy finances - having money issues was one of the very first things they talked about in season 1, in terms of appearing susceptible to criminal influence.

I believe Gill Biggeloe is setting him up for a fall. She has previously admitted that she wants to slow the rate of bent cop convictions and she and Ted didn’t part on good terms when he heard that. This is the second time she has made a move on him. And if something happens to his wife next week, Ted needs Gill to provide an alibi of where he was. He could be framed for murder or blackmailed into doing something. Whether she’s H or not, I’m not sure.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like that they are exclusively looking for people with the surname starting with H for someone who could be code named H.

These are apparently master police.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OH MY GOD WHAT IF ITS A MAIDEN NAME MIK THEY WONT HAVE CHECKED THAT YET

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We’ve just blown this whole case wide apart.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    scotland
    They are laying on the Hastings = H red herring so thickly that I'm starting to think it's like a quadruple-bluff type scenario.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlon Dingle View Post
    They are laying on the Hastings = H red herring so thickly that I'm starting to think it's like a quadruple-bluff type scenario.
    I think it might be Harry Hill and this is how TV Burp comes back on our screens. It's unlikely but if you've been following the show as closely as I have there's definitely been breadcrumbs.

That's all I'm saying

Simon
    Jesus fucking Christ.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What an episode. Tension was unreal.

Stephen Graham did a tremendous job. Very surprised that they didn’t find a way of having a Ted vs John interrogation scene before the end.

Loved the “definately” spelling mistake rearing its head again. I feel that Jed Mercurio is actually laughing at us with these hints.

Steve will now forever be known as a “wee gobshite”.

I’m definitely leaning into these theories that Kate is either bent or heading for a fall. She hasn’t had a huge amount to do and is doing well in her new job. She’s due a major twist or disaster.

Thinking “Kyle” is bent - he recommended not tackling John in public when H didn’t show up at Victoria Square, so that John could be executed later.

Loving all the callbacks, as far back as series 1. Jackie Laverty is still in a freezer and Ryan, the little boy who harassed Tony Gates, is now grown up and slitting throats.

I wonder, since we know series 6 is confirmed, if this series ends with AC-12 completely shut down and the characters scattered; with poor Ted going down for his dodgy financial dealings and the revelation of what he did in Belfast all those years ago to link him with John.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thought it was cracking. Loved it. Best thing on tv atm

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome episode. Hastings as H is just too obvious surely...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    scotland
    There was a scene this week where Hasting visited Lee Banks(the guy who got caught giving money to the policewoman who got shot at the start of this series) in prison. It was pretty forgettable but I'm trying to work out what it means. Unless he grassed up Corbett to Banks who then some how was able to tell the rest of the gang.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great ep last night.

Simon
    It had a real calm before the storm feel to it after the utter mayhem of the previous week. Plenty of drama as Hastings got pulled right into it, and Anna Maxwell Martin was fantastic in her role as the snidey AC3 woman looking to nail Hastings by any means necessary. Absolutely no idea where it will go next week - it's a ninety minute episode btw, so buckle up

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's very sad but I love being able to walk past where it's filmed. Saw the Central Police signs on the library when they were obviously filming the headquarter scenes.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    scotland
    I'm holding my reservations for this week's episode, but I think this might have been the weakest series since S1.

Simon
    Man they completely fucked that ending. This series died with John Corbett.

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dunno about that, thought it delivered. Just gutted it is over for another year.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    You thought Arnot looking at a still picture and managing to work out the four dots was delivering...interesting.

Can't fault the acting but this has been the worst of the series by a significant amount.

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was a bit silly, but I thought the way they made Hastings look and then the subsequent explanation was well done.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    croatia
    The whole series just felt like filler for the next one imo.

It wasn't just a bit silly it was a giant fucking reach for Steve to be able to work that out, I can forgive almost anything with regards to TV (we watch wrestling ffs) but that was just ludicrous. That revelation came from absolutely no where and there were a million other ways they could have gone to get to this route.

Lisa not being undercover makes her behaviour extremely bizarre throughout this series.

I really hope there is a decent time jump before the next series. Enough time should have passed to allow Ryan to become the new caddy and we can get a resolution to the whole thing.

Simon
    Up until the end of the fourth episode it was my favourite of all the series so far, but in retrospect I think that was entirely because of the power of Stephen Graham's performance. I still enjoyed the whole series but that ending was so unsatisfying - not only was it a bit of a cop-out, it also required a ridiculous amount of suspension of disbelief (the four fingers thing), it left loads of loose threads too. And too many of the threads that were tied up were just a bit obvious - Hastings was never going to be the bad guy and Jill was obviously bent. I mean aside from the fact that she was presented as being sneaky and duplicitious throughout the series, didn't she have form from a previous series?

I did think Carmichael was fantastic though, and the interview scenes were as intense as always. Just wish it had been a more satisfying ending.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Up until the end of the fourth episode it was my favourite of all the series so far, but in retrospect I think that was entirely because of the power of Stephen Graham's performance. I still enjoyed the whole series but that ending was so unsatisfying - not only was it a bit of a cop-out, it also required a ridiculous amount of suspension of disbelief (the four fingers thing), it left loads of loose threads too. And too many of the threads that were tied up were just a bit obvious - Hastings was never going to be the bad guy and Jill was obviously bent. I mean aside from the fact that she was presented as being sneaky and duplicitious throughout the series, didn't she have form from a previous series?

I did think Carmichael was fantastic though, and the interview scenes were as intense as always. Just wish it had been a more satisfying ending.
    Some interesting questions open though. Not massively so but still

- What did Hastings tell Gates?
    - Was the typo from Ted an accident or is there more to it? His story about knowing the behavior was shite
    - Why did he have that laptop and why did he get rid of it?

Some bits I just don't get. 4 dots... So what. Why would he be saying yes the letter is H but there's 4 of them.
    Why do we care that Gill is one of them? How much impact or sway could she really have as legal counsel or whatever. Seems a bit of a reach.
    Ginger woman hammed it up far too much. Saw her as a dodgy one from very very early on in the episode. Had hoped Carmichael was dodgy and Gill was innocent in a swerveomania but no luck. Feel like Carmichael may be the one who actually cracks the case

Simon
    Quote Originally Posted by son_of_foley View Post
    Some interesting questions open though. Not massively so but still
    -Was the typo from Ted an accident or is there more to it? His story about knowing the behavior was shite
    I thought that was believable enough, I mean if everyone watching the show clocked the misspelling then why wouldn't Hastings clock it and know that it could be a good way of convincing the OCG that he was H when the police were able to duplicate the real H's IP address or whatever.

- Why did he have that laptop and why did he get rid of it?
    Yeah I didn't buy that at all - either it was a VERY cheap way of explaining away a plot point we were led to believe was important, or (hopefully) it was a deliberately bad excuse which will come up again in the next series.

Some bits I just don't get. 4 dots... So what. Why would he be saying yes the letter is H but there's 4 of them.
    This is the main issue. The entire series hinges on this one 'vital' clue, but it's absolute horse shit. Why would Dot go through some complicated fucking morse code bollocks rather than sticking four fingers up? And even if he did do that, how would anyone clock that that was what he was doing? At least it was better than my initial interpretation of the finger thing - I thought he was typing out a phone number on an imaginary phone as the clue

Ginger woman hammed it up far too much. Saw her as a dodgy one from very very early on in the episode.
    I'd agree to a point, but I thought they at least masked this to a point by presenting a few other options as dodgy - I was convinced the black firearms guy was bent, and when he said that the firearms officers had been stood out I was certain of it, so that was a decent bit of misdirection.

Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    canada
    Someone on Reddit suggested the ginger lady may also have been one of the prison guards that assaulted Denton.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought that was believable enough, I mean if everyone watching the show clocked the misspelling then why wouldn't Hastings clock it and know that it could be a good way of convincing the OCG that he was H when the police were able to duplicate the real H's IP address or whatever.
    I thought because he was so brazen in like right fuck this I'm going to sort this whole thing out and ignoring the 'approved' responses indicated he was just steaming in without much care. Certainly felt like he was typing stream of consciousness more than anything else. To me anyway, didn't feel deliberate in his actions.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    scotland
    4 Dots? Fucking hell, that was LOD's jump the shark moment.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some great episodes and performances in this series, but very dicey of them to build up an H character and then reveal that there was no such thing. Hope they get back to the usual format of establishing a bad guy right from the off and building a story around their downfall - I don’t think a shadowy bigwig story works as well when they don’t have many other big characters outside the top three where the reveal would be shocking or impactful.

I wish Ted had given Gill an absolute bollocking for her betrayal during his Columbo scene. He’s been weirdly restrained when she’s making her snide comments or outright insulting him. I thought Lisa’s story really fizzled out. She wasn’t an undercover cop or someone with a unique agenda. Like the H thing, Jed Mercurio went out of his way to convey that there was something more to her when she was getting so emotional at times. If she doesn’t come back, then it’s been misdirection for the sake of it.

Anna Maxwell Martin was excellent and needs a glorious death if she isn’t sticking around in the long term.

I loved the “urgent exit” text, since Dot did the same thing, and was convinced that Kyle would burst in and start shooting. That was one tease that I actually didn’t mind. He was given more prominence than the other armed officers and I thought for sure that he’d turn out to be bent.

Enjoyed Kate telling that woman to piss off. Surprised by how little she had to do this series. It felt like they couldn’t capitalise on the natural tension between her and Steve over her promotion when Hastings got so much of the spotlight.

The Rosk
    Finally caught up on this. The four dots thing made me laugh out loud. What a fucking shit ending. Having said that, Anna Maxwell Martin was fucking brilliant.

WWF Champion
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did the ginger one survive and if so, did they question her ffs?

Defiance is a four letter
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now we're sucking diesel.

Who's the fourth H? What role is Ryan going to play? Will my insistence since first seeing it all that time ago in Season 1 that Steve survived a seeming certain death thanks to the incompetence of Ryan (and with arelatively low level of damage) something wasn't felling right about it (also - seeming major fuck up by Ryan, yet retains their trust and they send him to be one of their men inside the force)?

Let's gooooooo!

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So good to have it back. I think Kelly MacDonald will be fantastic.

Great to see Steve get his swagger back when he smelt a meaty case of corruption.

Long-suffering Terry cannot catch a break. But I’m sure he’s glad that he doesn’t have Jackie Laverty’s legs in his kitchen anymore.

WWF Champion
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thought some of the acting was laughable last night. Overall felt like the worst episode they've made. Will re-watch later and hopefully change my mind.

Simon
    Enjoyed it, but as always it was quite confusing and all over the place. There are some fun easter eggs going around on Twitter if you're interested, I personally wouldn't consider them spoilers because they just give you a bit of extra info on the Gail Vella case and underline one storyline that I think at this point is fairly obvious, but if your tolerance of spoilers is low then don't look at them.

Defiance is a four letter
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahem.

*clears throat*

HHHOOOOOOOLLLLLLLYYYYY FFFFFUUUUUUCCCCCKKKKKKKKKK what an episode.

Simon
    Who do you reckon the relative is? I reckon the chief of police.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How the hell are we meant to wait a week for the next episode?

This series has been fantastic. That shoot-out with the van was edge-of-your-seat stuff. And Ryan saying “For being a rat, ma’am” was chilling. He’s surely the best villain since Joffrey in terms of being an absolute shit who deserves a violent death.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who do you reckon the relative is? I reckon the chief of police.
    Could be John Corbett, which brings his wife into play as someone dodgy and puts both Ted and Steve in tough spots given their relationship with her. She mentioned to Steve that she has a new hairdressing job. The OCG did money laundering through a hairdresser in series 1.

Simon
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Could be John Corbett, which brings his wife into play as someone dodgy and puts both Ted and Steve in tough spots given their relationship with her. She mentioned to Steve that she has a new hairdressing job. The OCG did money laundering through a hairdresser in series 1.
    Ooh I like that.

A few episode 4 spoilers/theories ahead...

Simon
    And yeah Ryan is great. He's getting into Walter White territory where he's such a good baddie that I'm almost rooting for him.

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a bloody episode. Its agony already waiting for next weeks episode!

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ooh I like that.

A few episode 4 spoilers/theories ahead...

I’d say someone from the criminal world, possibly Hunter. Being related to other corrupt police or politician probably doesn’t make too much sense. There seems to be something involving her mother that probably has to do with her own control/reluctant corruption. Then again, Line of Duty doesn’t need to make sense.

Simon
    Watched that scene back again and I think after wading through all the jargon that they were saying that it is a non-police person on the database, so yeah you can rule out most of my guesses.

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another great episode. Im not ready for this to finish next week!

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uk
    I’ve just caught up on the whole show over the last couple of weeks. My biggest takeaway is that I think maybe they’d save a lot time and trouble by just arresting everyone with a black Range Rover.

The Beast From Belarus Hlebsfall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nepal
    Alright lads, I needed somewhere to vent. That was complete fucking bollocks.

Simon
    So so bad. I was actually angry when it ended.

The Rosk
    Quote Originally Posted by Hlebsfall View Post
    Alright lads, I needed somewhere to vent. That was complete fucking bollocks.
    Snsnahahahahjajajajahhe

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shit.

Yikes
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Eesh that was not what I expected. There will be another series or film, cant leave it like that.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The H thing has been an albatross around the show for years now. They seem to have forgotten that H never existed. It was reconfigured as a complete misunderstanding of what Dot was communicating before he died and was only a threat to Ted when Hilton and Biggeloe tried to frame him. Yet they still refer to the fourth caddy as H on and off which makes no sense.

The more conspiracy driven plots in series 5 and 6 have led to some brilliant episodes and cliffhangers, but the execution and pay-offs don’t live up to the promise. The whodunnit vibe has invited ridiculous fan theories and speculation, to the point where crushing disappointment is inevitable. It’s not helped by the show actually leaning into this culture by sticking an H on Steph Corbett’s kitchen wall or using Jimmy Nesbitt’s picture and then doing nothing with him. I actually really like the idea of the show ending with the battle not being won; that AC-12 might get a small victory or even lose and the bent coppers at the very very top are still out of reach. But it’s hard to sell the fans on a downbeat and realistic ending when they’re convinced that one of, if not all of, Carmichael, Osborne, Wise, Kate, Ted, Lomax and Chloe are working for the OCG.

If there’s a series 7, I hope they drop the whole OCG thing and just go back to the old formula. Establish a bent copper in episode one, add a few layers to make them sympathetic, throw in a couple of twists and personal dramas foe the big three and then crack the case in the finale.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, this show totally would've worked better if it continued being one season arc at a time, focusing on one spiralling character, rather than tie loads of sprawling threads together.